Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Donkey Madness ❯ Let It Begin ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]


Started: November 8, 2000
Finished: November 8, 2000

Part 1:
Let It Begin

"Hey, it's Izzy!" Davis Motomiya stepped into the computer room with a grin, clapping the old Digidestined of Knowledge on the shoulder. School had just gotten out and the Digidestined were going to make some plans on liberating another controlled area of the Digital World in the normal place -- the computer lab of the elementary. "What're you doing here?"

The red-haired thirteen-year old gave the new Digidestined of Courage and Friendship a faint smile, nodding to the four other kids that entered the room. "Junior high students got out of school early because of teacher conferences," he explained. "The others are doing homework and chores, but I wanted to check up with your progress against the Digimon Emperor." He turned away, sitting in front of the computer that contained the gate to the Digital World. "I've gotten a disturbing message from Tentomon."

Kari Kamiya frowned, leaning over Izzy Izumi's shoulder as he booted up the computer and began typing. "What kind of message?"

"He heard a rumor from some Koromon on Server," replied Izzy. At the mentioning of the continent of Server, T.K. Takaishi leaned over Izzy's shoulder as well. "Apparently, last night, the Emperor decided to fly out to the sea east of Server. It has a lot of digimon worried, as the Emperor is rarely out at night."

"But he's been living in the Digiworld for over two months now!" exclaimed Yolei Inoue. "Wouldn't it be normal for him to be out at night?"

Izzy shook his head. "I think that even he has his limits," he remarked. "Even our worst enemy needs to sleep at night, right?"

Cody Hida nodded, staring at the computer screen as Izzy brought up a map of the Digital World. ". . . What's so special east of Server?" he asked.

The red-haired boy raised a hand from the keyboard, pointing to the far right of the map. "Tentomon mentioned something about a Forgotten Pentagon out this way. . ."

"Forgotten Pentagon?!"

Eyes were averted upward as Gatomon leapt down from a storage cabinet, frowning deeply. "What's wrong, Gatomon?" Kari asked her digimon. "You look absolutely spooked. . ."

Gatomon gazed at each of the Digidestined, then at the three In-Training digimon that popped out of Davis, Yolei, and Cody's backpacks. Patamon flew from his perch on another computer and landed next to the white-furred digimon as she began to talk. "Just hearing about that place leaves my fur on end," she sighed. "The Forgotten Pentagon's gone down in digi-history as The Place of No Return -- not one digimon's gone in there and come out again . . . dead or alive."

The Digidestined silently stared at the cat digimon in shock. ". . . Does he have a death wish?" murmured Davis.

Izzy frowned, turning in his chair to look at the kids and their digimon. "Knowing our confident enemy, he probably thinks this Pentagon's past history doesn't apply to him. He probably went in thinking he can take control of it."

"'Sounds like our guy," T.K. sighed. "Well, what're we supposed to do about it? Go in after him?"

That question earned him a troubled look from Izzy. ". . . That may just end up being our only choice."

Gatomon moaned from where she sat on the floor. "I was afraid of that. . ."

* * * * *

". . . I still don't like this, Kari," sighed Nefertimon, flying over the continent of Server and towards the eastern sea.

"I know, Nefertimon, I know." Kari tried her best to comfort the nervous digimon. T.K. flew up ahead on Pegasusmon, Halsemon to Kari's far right and carrying Davis, Yolei, and Veemon. In the sea below, Cody rode inside of Submarimon. "Don't worry; we've been through worse things, right?"

Nefertimon thought about the horrors that were Myotismon and Apocalypsemon, then nodded hesitantly. "I guess so . . . but I still don't feel very confident with myself. I can't even begin to imagine what happened to all those digimon. . . I hate to say it, but I hope the Emperor wasn't killed in there."

"That's not bad to say," Kari replied, hugging her digimon's neck. "Even though he's our enemy, it's not bad to feel for him. . . Besides, I'm sure he'll turn around in the future."

"You're so kind, Kari," Nefertimon declared warmly. "I don't think you could hate anyone."

"Hey, Kari!" Kari averted her attention from her digimon to T.K., who was now flying close to her. "Get ready -- we're going in!"

"I'm as ready as I'll ever be, T.K.!" The brunette gave a smile for her best friend, who smiled back. Adjusting his hat, T.K. gave her a nod and brought Pegasusmon back to the front of the group.

The Digidestined entered the mist then, becoming lost in its twisting tendrils and high density. Kari clawed at it, immediately afraid for herself and her friends; she couldn't even feel Nefertimon under her anymore. What's going on? How could this happen so quickly. . .?
The next thing Kari felt was herself falling. . .
Falling far . . . and into unconsciousness.

* * * * *

He winced as he came to, pushing himself to his elbows even as his joints moaned in protest. His back popped as he stood up, looking at his surroundings slowly and warily. Around him were the other Digidestined, sprawled on their chests and slowly awakening as well. ". . . Hey," Davis began, "are you guys okay?"

Kari groaned as she awoke, shaking as Davis helped her to her feet. ". . . Where are we?" she managed. "The last thing I remember was going into the mist . . . and then falling. . ."

As all the kids awoke, they looked at the room they were in. The walls of the square room were dark green and very high, although there was no visible ceiling. Bright light showered from up above, the light blinding to look at for too long.

"I'm guessing that we're still in the Pentagon," sighed Yolei, adjusting her helmet and glasses as she looked around. ". . . The question is: how did we get here?"

"I can answer that."

The kids jerked their heads up, but then looked away as the light stung their eyes. A mocking laugh echoed through the room from above. "In answer to your question, we have brought you here. Those that dare to trespass into our area are all given the same treatment."

"What are you?" T.K. queried.

"We are digimon," came the reply. "We are digimon that live in isolation from the rest of the Digital World; it is our nature. Those that are foolish enough to enter the Forgotten Pentagon become our toys to play with."

"Toys?!" Yolei looked indignant. "We're not toys!"

"Where are our digimon?" Cody demanded. "What have you done with them?"

"Your digimon are fine; they are better off than you presently are. They shall not be harmed unless you choose not to cooperate with us. We have left your D-terminals and digivices with you, but they are of no use to you without your digimon."

"Cooperate?" Kari repeated the word that had stuck to her memory the best. "Cooperate with what?"

"No one leaves the Pentagon without facing a test. Like all the others, you will all be tested. If you choose not to cooperate, your digimon will die."

"Hey!" Davis shaded his eyes against the light and glared. "What gives you the right to order us around like this?!"

"Fool. . . You don't know what you're up against."

A shadow began to appear on the ground beneath the Digidestined's feet, growing bigger at an alarming rate. Yolei pulled Cody out of the way as a body fell from above, landing right in the middle of five children. Stifled gasps came from T.K., Kari, and Davis, while Cody turned away in horror. Yolei couldn't suppress the cry that built in her throat, screaming bloody murder as looked at the body.

"Behold our power, Digidestined. Your greatest enemy . . . at our mercy."

It was the body of the Digimon Emperor.



. . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . Well, I can't really say much right now; I'm tired because it's getting late and my mind's swimming with ideas. I think that ending was suspenseful enough.
In the next chapter, we shall discover just why this story is called Donkey Madness. . .