Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Dragon Morphs: A Digimorphs Tale ❯ Shield of Lies ( Chapter 20 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Digimon / Digital Monsters and all related trademarks belong are copyright to Toei animation / Saban entertainment. The story, its original contents and ideas, and any original characters belong to the author and cannot be used or reprinted without the author's permission.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shield of Lies

By nightdragon0 (nightdragon0@hotmail.com)

Far out in a desert area, a caravan moved along at a steady pace, dragged by a trio of Monochromon. Braving the fierce winds and blazing heat, the group marched on with their precious cargo inside the cart.

"Gurgh!" One of them moaned. "Just how much are we getting paid for this?"

"It's barely even cheap labor, it's slavery!" One of his companions replied.

"Damn, and Junon doesn't even have to be here! He's the one who's supposed to be in-charge of this stupid box and he's probably still in town, slacking off in some night club." The third complained.

"What's so important about this package anyway?" The first looked up.

"Who knows? You think they tell grunts like us anything at all?!"

BOOM!!

All of a sudden, the ground several feet away exploded in a burst of sand, sending the trio head-over-heels. All three released their hold on the caravan as they dropped to the sandy floor.

"Hey! What the?!"

Immediately, they were assaulted by a combined bunch of projectile attacks and weapons. The group scrambled, through they were unable to evade most of the blasts, leaving them scarred and bruised in many places. It was hard enough to even see where the attacks from coming from or how many there were, since their opponents were concealed within the sand dunes.

"Bandits!!" One of the Monochromon realized.

"Look! Not just any bandits!! It's the Sand Rogues!!" Another pointed his horn to the armored figure leading the assault.

It was recognizable as a Zanbamon, a humanoid warrior clad in golden armor, whose lower half of his body seemed to meld into the back of his steed, allowing the two to function as one.

"It's not 'him', is it?" The third Monochromon cringed back in fear.

After several more blasts, all three came to the same agreement. None of them would stay and risk their lives for this job. All three fled, leaving all their cargo and the caravan to the hands of the gang of highwaymen.

In particular, one thing they left behind was a very large crate with the words 'fragile' marked on it. Or rather, it was what was within that crate that was very important...

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

"So, who's this fellow you're supposed to meet?" Steve asked.

"I've never met the guy." BlackWargreymon told him. "He did seem quite sincere about his offer through, so I'll see."

"Man, this place is packed!"

"It's an auction house, what do you expect?"

"In the middle of the desert?" Steve wondered.

"This may be a small town, but the auctions here draw a great deal of customers." BlackWargreymon replied, lowering his voice. "Just beware, not all activities here are legal. You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

"So, it's some sort of a black market?" The Flamedramon nodded, taking a quick glance at one of the many weapon stands lining the walls.

The Digitamamon storekeeper gave Steve a nasty look, but quickly backed down upon seeing his companion was a black, armored dragon knight.

"Yikes, nice place." He commented, beginning to feel rather nervous.

"At times, it pays to be tall and intimidating." BlackWargreymon muttered.

"That's easy for you to say, gramps. I want to evolve into something like that!"

"Patience is the mother of all virtues, kid."

"Humph, you're just saying that."

"Forget it. It seems like we're here." BlackWargreymon gestured towards a side door, guarded by a pair Dobermon.

BlackWargreymon drew a piece of paper from his belt pouch and showed it to the guards.

"Mr. Siavon?" One of the guards read. "Please go on ahead. We've been expecting you."

"Hey, since when did you have a name like that?" Steve asked.

"Kid, it's perfectly fine for us Digimon to be addressed by our general names. Some of us do have more individualistic names, and in my case, I needed something to fit into my business card." Siavon/Blackwargreymon replied. "However, you'll have to wait out here. They don't allow visitors in a private meeting."

"I'll be fine." Steve nodded. Then he added to himself. "I hope."

"Just don't cause any trouble and you'll be all right. I won't be long." His companion ordered before disappearing into the meeting room.

Left with some time to kill, Steve made his way through the crowded corridors and to a second story balcony. Below, the area opened into a large stage spanning 4 levels. This was where the main auctions were held. Leaning against the railing, Steve glanced down towards the stage and gasped.

The item currently on display was a large statue of a dragon. It was a Vritramon, posed in an attacking stance with its legs apart and wings spread out wide. The claws and tail were raised, as if prepared to strike, together with its jaws, opened in a silent, but ferocious roar.

"Looks almost alive, doesn't it? That's true beauty indeed."

Steve jumped as a pink armored stranger approached him from behind.

"Ah, apologies my friend. I suppose your mommy told you never to talk to strangers."

"Humph, I'm no kid, and I don't need your advice."

"You sure have spirit." The stranger sounded amused, through any facial emotions were hidden behind his mask. "My name is RhodoKnightmon, through you may call me Junon."

"Steve. I'm....a Flamedramon." Steve managed to catch himself before he could give away any 'private' information.

"You frequent this place often?" Junon waved. "This is certainly not one for kids, unless you're with some companions."

"It's my first time and I'm....erm....with my boss."

"I never knew Mr. Siavon the Blackwargreymon had an apprentice. Sorry, but I happened to see you with him just now." Junon nodded. "I happen to have heard he's quite knowledge in artifacts and craftwork. Must be good to be working with him."

"Erm, yeah."

Great! Steve thought. Gramps is gonna kill me when he finds out!

"Hmmm....the owner of this piece is Zakar, that Zanbamon down there." Junon pointed. "There's his associates: Vajramon the bull-centaur and Pajirimon the sheep-centaur. Vija and Pija respectively. Rumor has it that the three are always up to all sorts of activities in the underground economy. Heh, not like there's much justice around anyway."

"So, it'll do us well to stay out of their way?"

"Indeed. Still, it is quite a fine piece they have there, even if it's probably stolen. Why don't we go down to the ground level and have a closer look? Come on!"

Junon leapt over the railing and landed gracefully on the level below. Steve followed, through hesitantly, climbing over the bar and dropping down to the level below.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

God, what is this?!

Sekata's vision was blurred beyond belief, but even he could tell that something was different. Something was bright...very bright lights, and beyond that, a large, wide open room.

<Ah, an auction house.> AncientGreymon's voice rang out in his head. <Well, well, you might actually be worth something after all.>

Auction....?! I'm being sold??!!! NO!! I'm not a statue!!! Can't they see??! I'm alive dammit!! Sekata cried in his mind. HELP!! Someone!! Anyone!! Let me out of here!!!!

<Too bad no one can hear you, kid.>

It was then that he caught sight of something in the bottom left corner of his vision. Someone in the crowd was moving closer to his position on the platform. Someone familiar.

Steve?! Steve!! Steve!! It's me!! I'm here!! HELP ME!!! STEVE!!!!

His Flamedramon companion seemed to be looking towards him with interest, then he turned to talk to another Digimon slightly out of Sekata's view.

Screaming in desperation, Sekata fired commands into every part of his body. Just a little movement, a little sound, something that would get Steve's attention. Much to his dismay, not one thing worked and he remained as stiff and petrified as ever.

Steve meanwhile, had apparently seen enough and was moving on.

NO! Steve! Please!! Don't go!! Don't leave me here!!! Steve!!! NNNNNOOOOOOO!!!!!!

It was too late through. There was nothing he could do to prevent his only acquaintance in the crowd from leaving.

<Oh, my poor angst-ridden friend.> AncientGreymon laughed. <What a spectacular scene you're creating. Too bad nobody's ever going to be around to see this, eh?>

KISAMA...!!! Mou urusai!!! (YOU...!!! SHUT UP ALREADY!!!)

<Omae, hoshii desu yo?> (Is that what you want?)

That really got to Sekata's head because it seemed like the ancient dragon was using his own language, as if to continue mocking him.

Haven't you had enough of torturing me, you sadistic freak?! Don't think I'll ever forgive you for sending me into that false future vision!!

<Really? At least I gave you to opportunity to wiggle your toes. Heh, that's something you can't even do now.>

Get lost!! Just leave me alone!!! He roared

<Well, if that's what you want then.> His tormentor smirked. <Ja ne!> (See ya!)

Sekata felt AncientGreymon's mysterious presence depart, but almost immediately, another thing hit him. He'd been left to suffer alone....again.

No! Wait! Come back!! Hey!! You tricked me dammit!!! HEY!!!

This time however, there was no reply.

RRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That tip-off was a little too convenient, don't you think." Janet asked, leaning back against the seat. "I mean, a letter being sent to our quarters with no return name or address."

The pair had their own private cabin in a Trailmon drawn carriage, courtesy of Seraphimon and the others.

"Probably is, but someone seems to want us to go find these Dragon Artifacts." Zoe replied. "Considering the story Seraphimon told us about these artifacts possibly having the ability to cross worlds, it might just be right up our alley."

Their train pulled up and stopped at a station, pausing as passengers both alighted and boarded. Zoe was staring out the window when she suddenly jumped up.

"You think you can handle checking the location out by yourself for a while?"

"No problem, but what..."

"There's something important I have to do at this stop!" Zoe called, waving her D-Dragon. "You have my e-mail, right? We'll keep in touch! I'll probably be on the next train there!!"

The XV-mon dashed for the exit and barely made it out in time, leaving Janet to stare and wonder just what had commanded the attention of her friend.

"She's changed a lot." Janet noted. "Well, I guess she knows what she's doing."

Out on the platform, Zoe pushed her way through the crowd as the train departed. She'd seen it only for a brief instant, but she was certain it was him. Finally, she made it to one of the electronic notice boards and looked over it.

There was an article about an 'Annual Rock & Roll Concert/Competition', and with it a picture of several figures on a stage. One of them was a Vritramon wearing a pair of goggles, a headset and standing in the center of the stage. Another noticeable Digimon was a Sagittarimon at the rear.

"Sekata?" She wondered. "Then, could that be Steve with him? What were they doing there?"

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

On another side of the station, Dynamo watched as the train departed.

"Hmmm....princess and her blue friend split up. Wonder what's with that?" He muttered. "Well, at least princess is headed towards the castle."

He pulled out a laptop and began typing on it.

"She'd better. It took me a whole lot of trouble to write that letter after she literally cut my arms off." He growled, rubbing his Guilmon claws together. "Luckily, I had some connections to get them re-attached."

Dynamo looked up to make sure no one was close enough to hear his musings, and then continued with his work.

"I set them up really well this time. I just hope Junon does his part..."

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Well, what did you think?"

"It just looked so cool up close!" Steve nodded. "If I didn't know any better, I'd swear that thing was Sekata."

"Who?" Junon queried.

"Oh, just a friend of mine. Well thanks, but I think I'd best be going now."

"Ah yes, better not keep your boss waiting. Till our paths cross again then." Junon waved a hand as he disappeared into the crowd.

"Gee, guess there are some pretty nice mons around." Steve remarked as he made his way back to the meeting room, where the found the guards gone, the room locked and Siavon waiting for him outside.

"There you are! I was about to come looking for you."

"Hey, I told you I could handle myself, right? Anyway, what did your client say?"

"He showed me some photos of what seemed like the aforementioned Dragon shield. However, he decided that he wanted to show me the actual artifacts in some more private place and extended an invitation to his private residence for tomorrow."

"Think you can get me in this time?" Steve asked. "This is some information that could really help me out!"

"I promised that I would help you do so, and thus, I told them you were my apprentice." Siavon winked beneath his armored helmet.

"Erm, hehehe, what a coincidence." Steve said softly.

"Hmm?"

"Oh, erm, nothing. I think it's sorta cool, that's it." He laughed nervously, scratching the back of his head.

"Good, so…catch!" Siavon called.

"Huh? Urgh!!" Steve struggled to balance as a large and heavy bag was thrown into his arms. "Hey! What gives?!"

"If you're going to be a convincing apprentice, you'd better start playing the part. And you can begin by carrying that. I'll warn you too, I'm a hard employer!"

"Gurgh! This thing weighs a ton! And when did being an apprentice have to do with carrying his boss' bags, old timer?"

"Another thing, you will address me as 'Sir' from this point forward."

"Yes….Sir." Steve sighed.

"Don't tell me you're worn out already? You've still got to clean out our tent tonight, so you'd better get moving if you want to get any sleep at all." Siavon continued as he started walking.

Steve moaned before dragging himself along. He could practically imagine the dragon man laughing beneath his helmet.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sitting on a ledge above, Junon watched as the pair departed.

"Hmm...don't know what my higher-ups have in mind, but I certainly paid a lot to get the Flamedramon's friend stolen."

Turning his head, he glanced down and continued to watch the auction of the poor, petrified Vritramon.

"Well, that's my part done." He said to himself.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Searching the town next to the station had proven to be of little help. From what little information she'd managed to get, there certainly was such a competition that had happened a while ago. However, it seemed that it was disrupted partway and never completed.

Its participants too, seemed to have moved on.

In end, Zoe found herself sitting at the station and having a drink while waiting for the next train to arrive. In the midst of her musings, she found herself staring at her reflection in the panel of a glass window.

No…not my real reflection. Zoe shook her head. It's strange through, how I've gotten used to calling this blue dragon in the mirror 'myself'. I've gotten used to having a snout and having a horn on my nose, so much that I barely even think about it anymore. It almost scares me…

"Then, you heard about that vigilante Aero V-dramon who disappeared?"

"The one who was supposed to be investigating the case about the recent Wild One attacks?"

"Well, they're still coming, so obviously he didn't or hasn't done too much."

"Yeah, heard he was Aeromaru, three time champion of the D-1 Battle Tournament. Wonder what happened to him?"

"He's supposedly pretty tough. I think he had a group that took care of some raging dragon problem sometime back, something like a Vritramon."

Zoe snapped up at hearing those voices, a conversation between a pair of Candlemon hovering nearby. The Aero V-dramon they were talking about could only be the one she knew.

"Excuse me, sorry to eavesdrop, but have you heard anything more about this Aeromaru?" She asked.

"Sorry, but we haven't." One of the Candlemon replied. "You an acquaintance of his?"

"Well, sort of…"

"Was wondering. You're both blue dragons after all."

"Erm, yeah." Zoe blushed. "In that case then, anywhere you know that I could get more information on the Wild Ones incidents? It was pretty much the talk of the town."

"Hmmm…" The flame on one of the floating candle's heads burnt more intensely as he thought. "There's this lady who lives in a gigantic white mansion up a hill at the outskirts of town. She's supposed to be an expert on both Wild Ones and dragon-type Digimon, which is what most of the Wild Ones around here are."

"Can you give me directions?"

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Elsewhere, Steve and Siavon had left the Oasis Town and had taken a train further down south, to a larger city at the edge of the desert.

Navigating the twisting streets, they'd arrived at a huge, black colored mansion and had been shown to a dining room with a grand feast prepared. Apparently, the Master of the Mansion was currently busy, but Steve certainly didn't mind helping himself to the food.

"Hey, it's really good!" He gobbled. "Must be a pretty nice guy to be giving us all this."

"Hmmm." Siavon nodded. "I'm not really used to the 'good' life."

"Well, it's not too hard to enjoy, so lighten up and don't look so glum."

"I'm a little worried, that's all."

"Come on!" Steve put a claw on his shoulder. "We make a great team, don't we? I'm sure the two of us could take on just about anything!"

"You're certainly an optimistic one."

"Greetings honored guests." A Dobermon walked in. "I'm afraid the Master will be delayed for a little longer. He sends his sincere apologies for making you wait. In the meantime, could we invite you to relax at some of our other recreational facilities? We have a five-star Jacuzzi upstairs."

"Really?!" Steve beamed, eyes wide. "This place just keeps getting better and better! Hey, can I take a dip, please?"

"Oh, fine." Siavon snorted. "Just don't break anything."

"Yeah, don't worry." Steve waved.

"This way sir." The Dobermon gestured.

As Steve was walking past, his companion leaned close to him.

"You have the Dragon Dagger, right?"

"Right here, don't worry." Steve patted his belt pouch. "It's not going anywhere."

"Good, just don't lose it."

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

"This must be the place." Zoe muttered, gazing up at another huge mansion, somewhat similar to the one Steve was in at that moment. "Well, no point in just standing at the doorstep."

With that, she walked up and rang the doorbell. A Dinobeemon opened the door, giving her an intimidating stare. However, Zoe would not be turned away by just that.

"I'm looking for the master of this house."

"Sorry, but she doesn't take uninvited visits. The Master is a very busy lady." He growled.

"Pease, this is important. I'm looking for some information on the Wild One attacks, and the Aero V-dramon who was investigating them."

"Hmmm…well in that case…" Dinobeemon's attitude seemed to undergo a sudden change. "Well, I supposed I could get her out of her packed schedule to do lunch. She is the expert on those things. Besides, you're kinda cute too."

WHAM!! Zoe furiously kicked his knee.

"Humph, pervert!" She promptly spun round and started walking off.

"Wait! Ow! I'm sorry! I didn't mean it that way!" Dinobeemon limped after her. "Please! Just give me a chance!"

"Well, all right then."

"Yes, thank you! I'd get into big trouble with the Master for that, so please don't tell her, OK?" He begged. "I'll show you to the waiting room, pronto!"

Hmmm...is it just me, or is this fellow acting rather weird? It's as if he really doesn't want me to leave...

Dinobeemon showed her into the large entrance and led her further into one of the hallways.

"My boss is currently away, so you may have to wait for a while."

"That's fine by me."

The insectoid rummaged through his belt pouch before looking up.

"Just give me a minute, I brought the wrong set of keys."

As he dashed into another corridor, Zoe glanced around the area. This was certainly an elegant mansion, judging from its interior design, with wide open halls, stained glass windows, decorated oak doors and a spiral staircase leading to the level above.

It so happened that her gaze fell upon a door at the side. It was partially hidden due to the lack of lights nearby, plus it was made of gray colored steel, blending it with the shadows. Curious, Zoe moved forward and reached out to touch the doorknob, which she found to be locked.

Suddenly, she stumbled back as a vision flashed into her mind. What she could make out from it was a row of statues, only that there were screams of anger and desperation in the background.

"Whoa there XV-mon, you OK?"

Zoe realized she was leaning against an adjacent wall, holding her head as Dinobeemon had returned. Fortunately, he hadn't caught her doing anything suspicious.

"Uh, just felt a little faint just now, but I'm all right." Zoe lied.

"Glad to hear that. Anyway, this way please." Dinobeemon indicated.

The pair entered an equally extravagant guest room with a tray of drinks and refreshments set up.

"Just relax and make yourself feel at home. My boss should be here shortly."

Zoe nodded as she pulled out a chair and sat down.

"And, in the meantime." Dinobeemon took the seat across the table. "I thought I could, sorta get to know you better. You know, a little introductions and stuff."

"Don't think I have much to say." Zoe growled.

"Aw, come on. Well, you probably don't trust me and stuff, but hey, I understand." He beamed. "Actually, I haven't got much to say about myself either. Other than working as the Security Guard/Butler around here."

"I'm just a traveler. A curious one, I guess." Zoe scratched her head, trying to come up with something to say.

"You were looking for that Aero V-dramon guy, right? Aeromaru was his name?"

"He's...an old friend of mine."

"Haha, I get it, you're worried about him."

"Yeah, heard he went missing."

"Well, I'm sure you'll find him eventually. Things have a strange way of working out." Dinobeemon raised one of the glasses of lemonade. "Cheers."

"I suppose." Zoe replied, taking a sip.

Although they continued talking, Zoe felt that everything was becoming extremely blurry. It was like she was just....getting very....very...sleepy...

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Aaahhhhhh, this is the life." Steve let out a long breath as he lay back in the swirling waters of the Jacuzzi.

After the hard times he'd been through recently, this was certainly a welcomed change. He'd simply tossed off all the parts of his Flamedramon armor and made a beeline straight into the warm, inviting tub. And such, his mask, vest, gauntlets, thigh and ankle guards all lay messily tossed to the side.

He slowly sank down, with only his head and neck above the water. It was such a relaxing feeling that he could barely feel his own body anymore and....

"Gargh!" Steve's instinct was to jump up, only to find that he couldn't.

In horror, he found his body was incased in cement all the way up to his neck. As he glanced across the Jacuzzi, he spotted a bag at the edge marked 'Quick Drying Cement Mixture - Just add water'.

"Damn! Hey! What the hell is this?!" He screamed, struggling to no avail.

"Now you're in a sticky situation, ya?"

"Beelzebumon??!!"

The tall, dark biker calmly walked into the bathroom, followed by a second, armor-clad figure.

"Siavon?! Hey, help me!! What's going on?!"

"Isn't it obvious, yeah?" Beelzebumon smirked.

"Wait a minute!" Steve realized. "Siavon!! You're on their side now?!"

"That's funny, I don't recall saying I was on yours." Siavon growled, folding his arms "Although I did say I'd help you find the artifacts, and here's one now."

He held up a circular golden shield with several odd characters and patterns on its surface, though it was the least of Steve's concerns right now.

"CRAP!!" Steve cursed.

"And you're very conveniently holding on to the dagger for us." Beelzebumon grinned.

Steve could only watch helplessly as Siavon knelt over and searched through his armor, coming up with the small dagger in his hand.

"It's a fake." The black dragon muttered.

"Yeah, so now we just...huh?! What?!" Beelzebumon yelled.

"I said it was a fake." Siavon repeated. "The quality of the metal is of a much lower grade. Besides, I wouldn't be able to do this to the actual thing."

Grasping the dagger in both hands, he easily snapped it in half.

"All right buddy, where'd you stuff the real one?" Beelzebumon demanded, grabbing Steve around the neck.

"Gargh! Hey! That was the real one! It was right there, I swear!"

"You seriously think he'll tell you?" Siavon remarked.

"In that case, we'll just have to use some, painfully convincing methods, ya?"

Steve gulped.

"But not here, so better take him with us." Beelzebumon ordered. "Besides, he ain't going anywhere fast, ya?"

Siavon moved closer to Steve and held a spray can up to his face.

"Sorry about this." The BlackWargreymon whispered, before letting lose with a burst of the strange-smelling gas.

Steve found himself gagging and choking for a while, before finally losing consciousness.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Rargh!! Dammit!! That b**tard spiked my drink!!" Zoe roared, banging on the locked door.

She'd awakened to find herself in a dark room barely larger than her old high school locker. And quite predictably, it was locked from the outside.

"Hey! Let me out of here!! Somebody out there??!! Hhheeyyyy!!!"

Zoe started as a metal object was suddenly slid beneath the door and against her foot. Groping in the darkness, she realized it was a large key.

"That's the key for the door." A soft voice spoke from outside. It was definitely one which she hadn't heard before. "Get yourself out, and please leave here immediately. For your own good!"

"Wait! Who are you?!" Zoe demanded.

"I can't stay, or I'll get caught. Please, this is a terrible place. Go as soon as possible!"

"Hold on!"

When there was no reply, Zoe fumbled with the key and managed to get the door open. Blinking in the light, she stepped into a hallway. Zoe recognized to be the second level that she'd seen while Dinobeemon had been leading her through the corridor below.

Cautiously, she moved towards the spiral staircase and peered down.

All clear...

Hopping down, she examined the surroundings once again. All seemed as they were before, except....

"That hidden gray door!" She gasped.

Someone had been careless and had left the door slightly ajar. Zoe approached it, but as she did, she was instantaneously hit by the same vision as before.

"The same row of statues, the same sensation of anger...." She muttered. "Something is seriously wrong with this mansion."

Merely touching the door seemed to give her the chills, but she pushed those feelings aside and pressed on. This led her down another long flight of stairs and into a darker but much larger and roomy hallway with a high ceiling.

And lining that entire hallway, were what had been the source of those feelings. On the platforms, that had been cut into the side of the walls, stood the statues of various species of dragon and dinosaur Digimon.

Zoe didn't know how she knew, but this particular place was giving off a dreadful aura. Closing her eyes, she tried to focus on the source of the disturbance.

What she saw, however, was something she was completely unprepared for. It was like she was seeing through dozens of different pairs of eyes at once.

Various scenes popped up. Zoe could tell that they were being attacked by some sort of machine. A shroud of whiteness followed and then came a blurred, foggy vision. Even in that view, it was like they were moving, through not of their own will. The feelings then stirred up...anger, hate, despair, desperation...

Although the flash lasted but a few seconds, it took Zoe a lot of willpower to keep herself from screaming out.

Leaning against one of the platforms, she stared up at one of the statues.

"What....what's going on here...?!"

Suddenly, all the lights in the hallway came on at once.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Steve, wake up! You all right?"

"Ugh..." Steve moaned, opening one eye, then another. Slowly, his vision cleared....and he found himself staring into the face of Siavon. The armored dragon grabbed and held his jaws shut before he could react.

"Shhh....listen, I'm really sorry about just now, but I needed to use you as bait to get into their operation." He whispered hastily. "I'm going to let go now, but keep your voice down."

"Gee, thanks a lot old timer." Steve growled, utterly annoyed.

Steve was still stuck in the block of cement, only the location had changed. He'd been loaded into the back of some moving vehicle, a large truck with a canvas cover over its rear cargo storage area.

"Believe me, you're getting luxury treatment." Siavon told him.

"Luxury?! I'm trapped in cement up to my neck! My chin's itching like hell and I can't scratch it!! Have you lost it you crazy old fool?! And just what's going on?!"

"Hey, the original plan was to strap you to the dining table, dismember you, then gouge your eyes out and remove your tongue, snout and genitals. And then burn your stumps with hot irons before throwing your limbless remains onto the street. But I told them I thought it was too messy and they agreed, deciding to make you part of a castle wall instead."

"Erm...okay...." Steve muttered, turning white in the face.

"Anyway, in response to your second question, Beelzebumon was the one I've been seeing all this while, and he has some great interest in those Dragon Artifacts too."

"That, I've sort of figured out on my own."

"But he's not alone. He's working with several other top smugglers under a warlock known as Daemon. However, I don't know yet about what they intend to do with the artifacts."

"Can't be anything good, especially if they're as powerful as you think they are." Steve nodded. "One thing I want to know is, why get yourself involved?"

"I...don't really know."

"Huh?"

"I just...don't know what those Dragon Artifacts could be used for in the wrong hands." Siavon muttered. "I don't want to let that happen. I just feel it's..."

"The right thing to do?"

The armored figure was silent for a while, then he slowly nodded.

"I'll have to put this gag back on you now." Siavon informed him. "You won't like it, but try to get some rest. We'll have a hard battle ahead and I'll find a way to release you before then."

"Speaking of that, what happened with the Dragon Dagger?"

"Look down here." Siavon raised his right hand, with the claw weapon on. With his other hand, he twisted one of the three 'fingers', revealing it to be the dagger. "Switched it right in front of Beelzebumon's eyes. Don't worry, I promise I'll look after this one."

"Hey Siavon..." Steve looked him in the face. "Promise too that we're on the same side this time?"

"I give you my word, upon my pride as a warrior." Siavon declared.

"That's enough for me." Steve smiled. "I knew there was something about you, old timer. Some feeling just told me that I could trust you, and..."

"Oh, don't go all mushy on me!" Siavon snarled, strapping the gag around Steve's jaws.