Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Dragon Morphs: A Digimorphs Tale ❯ Imperial Roar ( Chapter 28 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Digimon / Digital Monsters and all related trademarks belong to Bandai. The story, its original contents and ideas, and any original characters belong to the author and cannot be used or reprinted without the author's permission.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
Imperial Roar
By nightdragon0 (nightdragon0@hotmail.com)
 
 
 
 
Sekata's grip on his weapon tightened as the burst of flames came towards him.
While the others quickly scattered to avoid Daemon's fire elemental attack, Sekata stood his ground, weapon ready. The blade literally cut through the flames, scattering the attack as he snarled.
“That the best you can do?” Sekata fired a burst of energy from his sword, throwing the demon backwards.
“Hmm...impressive indeed.” Junon muttered.
“Erase Claw!”
“V-Wing Blade!”
Janet and Aero launched their attacks at their fallen opponent, who'd recovered enough to block them. Siavon somersaulted over Daemon and prepared to strike.
Unfortunately, Daemon threw off his Chaos Flare ability, a flaming spell that forced Siavon to block with his black shield plates.
“Get the device ready.” Junon whispered as she walked past Dynamo. “You know what to do.”
“Heh, yeah.” Dynamo smirked.
“Argent Fear!” Junon dashed around, firing off energy bursts from her arm mounted weapon, the Pile Bunker.
Being struck by the new attack, Daemon's attention turned from Siavon towards Junon. Dynamo then came round behind Daemon and lashed out with his lance.
“Demon's Disaster!” The black knight called out.
The strikes left several wounds along Daemon's back, but the dark Digimon also turned around and swung a claw, knocking Dynamo over.
Sekata then came charging in to match his sword blows with Daemon's claw swipes. His opponent wasn't much larger in size then him, and Sekata was able to make several swift strikes to Daemon's face with his free hand. Enraged, the demon rammed into him, throwing Sekata back against Janet.
Aero took the opportunity to fly in from the side and strike with his claws. Daemon however, grabbed his shoulders and tossed him into Siavon. But because of his larger physique, Siavon didn't budge much as Aero slammed into his armor.
Junon, on the other side, prepared the four blade-like ribbons mounted on her shoulders and waist, then moved in.
“Spiral Masquerade!” In a series of lightning fast blows, she slashed at Daemon's face and upper body.
That was more of a covering move for Dynamo than a full-forced blow. Dynamo was close by, and unseen by the other combatants, fixed an additional sharp point to his lance. As Junon leapt away, Dynamo followed up with a ferocious lance attack that went through the demon's body.
Daemon just howled and punched Dynamo away, leaving Siavon to jump in and make a couple of quick slashes before rolling out of attacking range.
“As strong as he is, he can't keep this up against all of us.” Sekata panted.
“Yeah, we have him.” Aero added in.
That was when Daemon put his claws together and began chanting in an odd language.
“What's that?” Janet wondered, hesitating with the rest of the group.
Suddenly, Daemon raised his arms, causing a pillar of flames to rise from the ground beneath him. The entire group stared in shock as the pillar split into multiple columns of fiery waves, with one coming for each of them. This was the Flame Inferno, Daemon's summoning spell.
Sekata gritted his fangs beneath his helmet as he was engulfed by the flames. It was impossible to make out how the others were doing, but Sekata was beginning to feel the heat even through his armor...and the pain together with it that caused him to cry out in agony.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
 
“Try to rest Zoe.” Steve urged. “Sekata and the others can take care of that freak.”
“I know...but...” Zoe shook her head. “I just hate being the burden all the time.”
Steve had helped her out of the fenced compound and to a raised cluster of rocks where they were resting now.
“You shouldn't think about it that way.”
“Grrr...it's just that, I want to help, but I can never seem to. I'd think you'd want to be fighting alongside the others instead of looking after me.”
“Part of being a team is looking out for one another.” Steve replied.
Besides, they all have more powerful forms than I do. He thought dejectedly, glaring down at his D-Dragon.
“Steve, Look!”
“Huh? What the?” The golden armored Magnamon looked up just in time to see the entire battlefield engulfed by flames. “Oh crap! That must be one of Daemon's special attacks!”
“We have to help them.” Zoe muttered, standing up.
“Let me go, you're in no condition for this.” Steve insisted.
“No, we'll have a better chance if we attack together.” Zoe raised her D-Dragon and blue rings of Digicode surrounded her body.
In a flashed, she'd switched to her Paildramon form. Whilst the new armor hid most of the injuries she's sustained earlier, Zoe's slower motions still showed that she was rather drained from the ordeal.
“Jeez, between you, Sekata and Janet, no one of this team seems to understand the meaning of rest and recover.” Steve growled. “Well, if you insist, then let's go save them.”
“You go ahead and send a few shots in. I'll follow from the side and attack at the same time.”
“Sounds good!” Steve nodded, breaking off in a run.
As Zoe followed, she happened to glance towards the ground for a moment. However, in that instant, she saw something made her stop. The shadow she'd expected to see of her Paildramon form wasn't there, but instead the shadow of a large, quadrupled dragon.
In the blink of an eye, it was gone.
My imagination? Or perhaps...
“Plasma Shot!”
Zoe shook the thoughts off as she realized that Steve had already begun his attack. She flew to the other side and unleashed her Desperado Blaster move, spraying the beast-like form of Daemon with blue energy bolts.
Distracted, Daemon's fiery spell was interrupted, causing the flames to disperse. This revealed the others to be crouching on the floor in pain, but the moment they were freed from the spell, Sekata sprang up and slashed at Daemon with his blade.
“Sekata! You all right?” She called.
“Zoe! Hey you're in no condition to be fighting!” Sekata turned and yelled, while the others continued the battle.
“Doesn't that sound like someone we know?” Steve quipped.
Janet smacked him on the shoulder.
“Hey, don't interrupt their moment!” She whispered.
“Oh yeah, I forget.” Steve muttered, scratching his head.
“I want to contribute much more to this team instead of being everyone's burden.” Zoe declared. “I don't want to be that frightened little girl inside any more.”
“You're not Zoe! I've never thought of you that way.” Sekata moved to her side. “You're as strong as anyone on this team, and I know it.”
“Guys!” Janet interrupted.
“Watch it...GARGHH!” A stray fireball from the battle flew towards the pair and Sekata blocked Zoe with his body. “Ugh...I'm...OK...”
Zoe helped Sekata to his feet and clutched his claw tightly.
“Sekata...you know I've gained some...other powers when we were brought to this world.” Zoe said softly. “You may not know, but I've always been afraid of those powers. Afraid of what I could do wrong, or what could happen. But I've realized that it can't be that way.”
“Zoe...”
“I want to learn more about them, more than ever now.” She continued, raising the D-Dragon strapped to her left hand. “I'm not afraid, not any more!”
The eyes of the D-Dragon glowed as a multilayered Digicode ring formed around Zoe's right claw. With a roar, she brought the ring closer, running it across the D-Dragon's surface.
“Matrix Evolution!”
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
 
This was the power she'd felt before, back in the Angel's Lands against BlackSeraphimon. It was the power she'd been too afraid to use against Janet's corrupted form of Megidramon.
But now, she could help everyone by flowing `with' this power instead of against it.
In her mind, Zoe saw the blue energies of dragon spirits surrounding her. Her body structure began to change from an upright to quadrupled form. Even on all fours, she was easily the same height as Sekata in his armored Kaiser Greymon body.
The dragon's body became encased in black armor, with golden points making up the claws and talons. The scales beneath had the same coloring as her lower forms, blue with a white belly. A pair of huge leathery red wings spread out from the back, together with a cannon mounted between them and a helmet coming down over her face.
I can't describe this feeling...it's just so...amazing! Zoe told herself.
Letting off a roar, the new dragon stepped up to the front.
“Imperialdramon!”
Daemon didn't seem impressed however, and immediately shot off a fiery blast towards her. Zoe countered it by firing off the Positron Laser, causing the two attacks to cancel each other out in a huge cloud of dust.
“You're as good as you look.” Sekata commented, walking up beside her. “Let's take him!”
“RRRrrrr.....Yeah!” She responded.
“Sorry about this, but give me a lift!” Sekata leapt onto Zoe's back as she began charging forward.
“Hey! No fair!”
“No time for that! Incoming!” Sekata warned, raising his sword.
Daemon was throwing off individual fireballs, which Sekata deflected with his sword. Infuriated, their opponent let off a bloodcurdling roar and unleashed a column of flames towards them.
Both grunted as they struggled to keep their position and move forward.
“Hang in there! A little more...” Sekata growled, bracing himself in a kneeling position.
“It's not over yet!” Zoe added in.
In the midst of the flames, Zoe pushed herself off the ground and broke into a lighting fast sprint. As they approached their foe, Sekata raised his weapon, its blade gleaming in the flames.
“This is the dragon's fury! Feel it!” Sekata yelled, lashing out with his blade.
The flaming weapon met with Daemon's body in a huge burst of sparks that sent the beast crashing into the remains of his castle.
“Wow...that's cool!” Janet gasped.
“Yeah...” Steve nodded.
“How about we contribute instead of being the cheerleading squad?” Aero grinned. “Come on!”
Junon and Dynamo were standing by the side as the trio rushed off.
“Should we go?” Dynamo asked.
“Hmmm, not yet. Let's watch and see how they handle it.” Junon decided. “Just as long as you jabbed Daemon with the needle.”
“Right here.” Dynamo reached down to the tip of his lance and removed the additional spike he'd attached earlier. The tip was now covered with the red blood of Daemon.
“Good job.” Junon nodded as Dynamo carefully slipped the spike into a small glass cylinder and tucked it away beneath his armor.
“Just what is this stuff for anyway?” The black knight queried.
“You'll see, soon enough.”
Siavon jumped in just in time to block the flames with his shield.
“Don't get careless, you fools.” He snarled.
“Speak for yourself!” Steve called, firing at Daemon from the back. The distraction was enough to make Daemon turn away, allowing Siavon sufficient time to charge up his most powerful attack.
“Gaia Force!”
BOOM!
The explosion was spectacular, but even with all its damage, Daemon was still standing.
“Finish him now!” Siavon ordered, glancing in Sekata and Zoe's direction.
“Together?” Zoe asked.
“Together.” Sekata acknowledged, leaping off her back.
Sekata brought up his weapon and started running forward. Zoe meanwhile braced herself with her rear legs and activated the cannon mounted on her back.
“Positron Laser!” Zoe roared, sending the beam off.
As the beam went over his head, Sekata touched it with his sword, giving the weapon a bluish glow. The laser then went on to pound into Daemon, forcing him back as Sekata came towards him.
Growling, Sekata took to the sky, gleaming blade raised, and brought it down...straight into the demon's heart.
Everyone watching was forced to cover their eyes as the blinding explosion took place. But when all present looked up, Sekata was standing there, triumphantly holding his blade over his shoulder.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
 
“Sekata! You did it man!” Steve cheered, reverting to his original Flamedramon form as he ran over to the exhausted warrior.
Sekata nodded as he too changed back into Vritramon, though that dragon form's armor had been restored. However, he still held on to his sword, the Ryuukonken, which he slotted into a sheath built between the `wings' section of his armor.
“How about Zoe?”
“I'm here and all right.”
Zoe was back as XV-mon, being supported by Janet, as Strikedramon, and Aeromaru. Sekata dashed towards them and took Zoe from the others, throwing an arm around her shoulder.
“Nice move...back there.” She smiled.
“Couldn't have done it without you.” Sekata replied.
“Well, we're even then.”
“You two were just lucky Daemon was too stunned to cast any more spells when you moved it.” Siavon muttered, standing off to the side.
“Way to spoil the mood old man.” Steve tapped his side.
“I'm just stating a fact.”
“Hey, you're happy we won too right?”
“Did I ever say that?”
“When did you say you didn't?”
“Humph.” Siavon cut the argument short by turning away and folding his arms.
“Guys, I just remembered, what happened to the Dragon Artifacts?” Janet suddenly asked.
“Daemon had them when the place collapsed, so perhaps they're....” Aero began.
“Don't bother.” A stern female voice called.
The group glanced over to where Junon and Dynamo were standing. At their feet were the remains of the Dragon Shield, broken into at least three pieces, and the Dragon Staff, cleanly snapped in half. The Dragon Dagger and Sword lay nearby, though still in one piece. All four items, however, were still stained with Zoe's blood from earlier.
“The explosion! Damn, they're...broken...” Steve stared.
“And no use to anyone now, I'm afraid.” Junon finished.
“Hey Junon, we still could...OW!”
BAM! Junon stomped on Dynamo's toes.
“We will be taking our leave now then.” She continued, snatching her damaged helmet off the ground. “I compliment you on a battle well fought, but I shall warn you that we will meet again. And at that time, we may not be on such friendly terms.”
“Wait, is that why you talked to me in the Black Market area? Trying to find out about us?” Steve stepped forward. “What's your aim in all this?”
“The Royal Knights of ancient times were a grand order of the most powerful warriors. Our new, reformed order has similar objectives.”
“Similar?”
“If she told you that, it wouldn't be any fun, now would it?” Dynamo smirked. Then, he leaned close to Junon's ear. “Hey, what is the big objective anyway?”
WHAM! Dynamo promptly received a kick to his shin.
“Let's go moron. I need to find a place to repair my helmet.” Junon ordered, starting to walk away.
“Ow! Jeez, women these days.” Dynamo muttered.
Janet was walking up to the black knight, all ready to give him a piece of her mind. However, Dynamo turned towards her and continued in a cheerful voice.
“Well new girl, looks like we may meet again some time. Until then, tootles!”
The Strikedramon just snarled and watched as Dynamo jogged to catch up with his companion.
“Not going after him?” Steve asked.
“Hmmm...I'll let him keep thinking I'm a different dragon.” Janet smirked, cracking her knuckles. “And wait for just the right moment. Then...WHAM! Revenge is a dish best served cold, hehehe...”
“You're getting scarier and scarier each day.” Steve muttered nervously.
“The Dragon Artifacts...” Zoe knelt over the two broken items. “These were a way for us to go home...and I blew it.”
At that, the other three morphs gathered round as well.
“It's not your fault Zoe.” Sekata put a claw on her shoulder. “We all had a part in this.”
“But what does this leave us at now?” Janet wondered. “Remember Zoe? What Seraphimon told us about the CHAOS? Was this it?”
At that moment, she happened to touch one of the items. A sudden hiss startled the group, everyone taking a couple of steps back at a black cloud arose from the Dragon Artifacts.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
 
“What the?” Steve gasped.
Fortunately, whatever it was died down just as suddenly as it had appeared. The black cloud sank into the ground and vanished completely.
“Weird...” Janet muttered.
“There was something about also being able to summon forth and evil force from these things right?” Aero piped in. “Because of the blood on them or something.”
“Hmmm...” Siavon folded his arms. “Perhaps the legend was true, but because some of the Artifacts were destroyed, so was the summoning effect.”
“Then why me?” Zoe looked up. “What do I have that makes me a Holy Dragon?”
“Those said to carry the blood of the Holy Dragon are supposedly the descendents of Pendragon the White Paladin, who was the founder of the original Royal Knights.” Aero explained.
“Sounds like King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table, doesn't it?” Steve commented. “Erm...sorry...I mean, I didn't want to remind everyone of home, but...”
“No, perhaps that's just it.” Zoe muttered, taking hold of the Dragon Dagger. “Perhaps...”
Zoe knelt there, eyes closed and holding the dagger.
“Zoe?” Sekata whispered.
“I was just thinking, it may be pretty coincidental.” She spoke. “But I remember that my great grandfather on my mother's side was from England.”
“How's that supposed to help?”
“Firstly, compare it to what Aero just mentioned. King Arthur's Knights in our world are something like the original Royal Knights here. Then all of us too...we know how to fight, fly, use attacks, everything. We've never learnt to do that. We just did them on thought.”
And for me, I've had issues with a certain ex-Deva named Vija...
“Wasn't it just instinct?” Steve asked.
“These reactions can come on instinct, but most of the time, we have to train for them.” Aero confirmed.
“So, it's like our reality's `shifted', and we're living the lives we would have if we'd actually been born and bred in this world.” Zoe finished. “It's what the Dagger `told' me. But now its power is fading, like the other Artifacts.”
“I'm confused.” Steve scratched his head.
“I admit so am I.” Janet shook her head. “But one thing I know is, we're back to square one. What do we do from here?”
“How about we get out of this place first?” Sekata suggested.
Though no further words were spoken, the decision was unanimous. The party paused only long enough to gather up the Dragon Artifacts, before beginning the long trek back to the teleport point.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
 
Three days later, the group had gathered what little they had and made their way to a central train station. Though they hadn't decided on a course of action yet, their purpose for coming here was to see Siavon off.
That was something the old warrior hadn't been too happy about.
I hate to leave the kids like this, but I'm terrible at goodbyes. Siavon thought, walking alone along the platform.
He hadn't told them he had a midnight train ticket and had left their motel once everyone was asleep. Siavon was interested in how this party from `another world' was going to make a living out here, but something told him they'd make it just fine. Meanwhile, he had his own business to run, way back in the undersea city where he'd first met Steve.
Steve...that hella annoying kid. Still, I...
“Hey old man, not leaving without saying goodbye are you?”
“Huh?”
“Thought you might run off again. I heard about it from Aero.” Steve stepped out of the shadows, grinning.
“Hmuph.”
“But really Siavon, I wanted to thank you for all your help.” Steve continued. “We wouldn't have made it this far without you. I'm just sorry that, well...”
The Flamedramon pointed towards the single remaining BlackWargreymon claw hanging at Siavon's side. The old warrior stood still for a long time before he finally spoke.
“Those things are replaceable. Friendship isn't.” Siavon said softly, holding out a hand, which Steve took in a firm handshake.
“So, guess I'll call sometime.” Steve nodded.
Siavon said nothing else as he boarded his train, leaving Steve waving on the platform.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
 
“So, he left huh?” Janet asked as Steve returned to the group, who'd been waiting outside the train station.
“Yeah. But he's really a nice guy inside, despite the way he acts so gruff and all.” Steve replied.
Nearby, Sekata, Zoe and Aero stood discussing their future. However, it so happened that a familiar figure passed by and spotted them.
“Hey wait a minute, it's you guys!” An Airdramon suddenly approached. “You're the ones who saved us!”
“Erm...us?” Zoe asked, confused.
“Come on, you can't possibly forget.” The youthful dragon smiled.
“You...you're...” Aero closed his eyes. “Sekata, remember that day I got the two of us caught by, you know...? Remember what we were doing?”
“Oh! It was you wasn't it?” Sekata realized. “The Airdramon we were trying to save!”
“Name's Adrian.” He introduced. “Yeah, it was me back there. I'd been through hard times then. Lost all I had, and I just thought leaving society and becoming wild would solve my problems. But I just caused more for you. I'm really glad you're free, and all right.”
“It's no fault of yours.” Sekata shook his head. “Besides, Zoe took care of that crazy maniac.”
“It wasn't much, really.” Zoe blushed.
“Yeah, because she did that, Katsu was able to free the rest of us who were petrified. Katsu's what we call the Wormmon now, except he's not a Wormmon anymore.” Adrian carried on in an excited tone.
“That's great!” Zoe commented. “How did it go?”
“Most were all right, just in a stat of shock. It took some longer to recover than others, and we used the facilities of the mansion to nurse them back to health. A lot of the others just went on their way once they were back on their own feet, but here's the best thing, a few had no where to go.”
“How is that good?”
“Well, the few of us who wanted to stay gathered together, got some outside help, and tore the old mansion down. We build a little place for ourselves, and we're starting a business there. I sorta overhead about you guys needing to make a living, and...”
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
 
“Well, this is it.” Adrian gestured. “Like the place?”
A few more hours of journey by Trailmon had brought the party to a wide, three-story building. The place was just a little off a railroad town called Zelta, which was where their Trailmon had dropped them off. Some renovations had apparently been going on in town and a newly constructed concrete path led right up to the building. There were a number of plants being grown around the brown colored building as well.
“Hey!” A figure standing in the door was waving.
That Digimon was a Shadramon, a humanoid, fire-elemental insect type. His armor was of a similar color and design to Flamedramon's, consisting of the mask, gauntlets, thigh and foot armor. He also had a red breastplate covering the black skin beneath.
“Katsu I presume?” Zoe asked. “Wow, you've changed!”
“It's thanks to you that I'm not the little Wormmon getting kicked around anymore.” He smiled. “I had everyone's support in getting this place up too.”
“Hey, it's the heroes! This is so cool!” Another Digimon stepped out.
The impression one would get of this one was a purple colored Guilmon with fur instead and a pair of wings on his back. He had white paws, feet, and a triangular jewel embedded in his forehead. He was a Dorugamon, a beast-dragon type Champion Digimon.
“And this is Cimons, he's a Dorugamon.” Katsu introduced.
“It's just three of us for now, but we're hoping we could work things out.” Adrian commented. “We intended to make this into a little trading post, but with you guys, we could extend our services to do some odd jobs as well.”
“Odd jobs?” Janet asked.
“You know, they hire guys like us for doing strange thing. Transporting goods, fix a place up, some adventuring in olds ruins, you know, that kind of stuff?” Adrian explained.
“You know...” Steve pulled his party aside. “If we hang out here, there are chances we just might find out about a way to get home. Something's got to come up sooner or later, eh?”
“Well...I guess...” Sekata muttered.
“I'll stick around.” Aero added in. “I'm a freelancer after all. I get to do whatever I want to.”
“I say we go for it.” Janet agreed. “We've got nothing to lose anyway.”
“Uh-huh.” Zoe turned back to Adrian and company. “All right, we're in.”
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
 
Far away, in a hidden base, another exchange was taking place.
“Excellent work, both of you.”
Both Junon and Dynamo stood in a dimly-lit office, facing the desk of their boss. Seated in a huge chair, Lucifer had his back turned towards the duo for the moment.
“Always a pleasure to serve you.” Junon bowed.
“Oh, Junon, in case you were wondering, I do know your secret.”
Junon stepped back in surprise as Dynamo waved his hands.
“Hey, I never said anything to him, just like you asked.” The black knight protested.
“I can perform just as well as any male knight.” Junon declared, removing her helmet. “No matter what the ancient traditions were.”
“Your performance has always been impressive, and it would be such a shame to lose you.” Lucifer spoke. “You are welcomed to stay.”
“Thank you, my lord.”
“Then, you could accommodate our new ally, the Sorceress.”
“The Sorceress?” Dynamo wondered.
“Lady Evza.” Junon whispered.
“Metallix, allow the Lady to enter.” Lucifer pressed a button on his desk and spoke into the receiver.
The office door opened as a tall, metallic Digimon stepped through. He was a MetalGarurumon, though not the normal type in any way. Instead, he stood upright like a werewolf. His main color was blue, with a golden colored chestplate. His body was obviously laden with weaponry which was all currently in their storage positions.
He was followed by another Digimon, Lilithmon. She was best described as a gothic humanoid in a black and purple dress with demon-like wings on her back.
“He's weird.” Dynamo muttered, indicating the MetalGarurumon.
“I've heard this is the X-antibody form of MetalGarurumon.” Junon replied softly. “This guy was supposedly a treasure hunter who had some accident on his expedition to obtain the antibody. But I don't know much about him, he's pretty new to this group too.”
“Ah Lady Evza, this is what you had previously asked for, the blood of Daemon.” Lucifer handed over the cylinder Junon and Dynamo had brought him. “I trust that you will fulfill your end of the bargain?”
“Most certainly, Lord Lucifer.” Sorceress Evza bowed. “With this, I will finally be able to complete my ultimate creation.”
“This Arkadimon (Arukadimon) had best be worth all the funding I put into it.”
“You won't be disappointed, Lord Lucifer.”
“Very well. You may all leave then.”
The foursome bowed and left, closing the door behind them. Lucifer waited until their footsteps had faded away, then got out of his seat and stepped into the light.
Revealing himself as the dark angel, Lucemon Falldown Mode.
“With my old rival Daemon gone at last, things should get very interesting.” He said to no one in particular. “Very interesting indeed...”
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
 
Three weeks later...
“Gurgh...whew...this is...hard work!” Steve grunted.
“Hey...we never said...this would be...an easy job right?” Cimons replied.
The two had been struggling with a heavy crate for the past few minutes and finally managed to drag it down the hall and into the storeroom.
“Hey wait! Wait!” Adrian flew over to them, holding a notepad with his tail. “That's the wrong crate! It's that one that you were supposed to bring into the storeroom.”
“WHAT?” Steve yelled. “And you're telling this now?”
“Erm...sorry...” Adrian muttered. “But it's no biggie, right?”
“After we practically broke our backs on this thing?” Cimons growled. “Grrr...we are gonna throw you into the lake Adrian!”
“Hehe, erm, guys...let's all try to act like reasonable adults here.” Adrian backed away, sweatdropping. “And besides....you gotta catch me first!”
Adrian promptly took off, with a Flamedramon and Dorugamon hot on his heels.
Fortunately, that was all in the back of the shop, hidden from where customers were browsing through the goods in front. The entire lower level had been converted into a shop in front, with a storage area at the back.
“Are they fighting again?” Katsu asked from his position behind the counter.
“How typical...” Aero sighed.
“I'll take care of them.” Janet smirked, pushing her way through the back door.
Several moments later, there was some loud screams, followed by multiple SPLOOSH sounds. The Strikedramon then came back, dusting her claws.
“I threw all of them into the lake. That should cool them down.” She laughed.
“Say, go get Sekata and Zoe, it should be their shift now.”
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
 
“Hey there.”
“Zoe? Oh I didn't hear you come in.” Sekata closed the laptop he'd been typing on and turned to face the XV-mon.
“You've been on that thing a lot.” She commented.
“It's a journal of mine.” He replied. “I thought it would be nice to take note of everything we've been through since we started this journey.”
“Yeah...” Zoe nodded. She paused there, taking the moment to gather up her courage.
Both stared at each other for a while, with an odd silence between them.
“Zoe, I've been meaning to say...”
“Sekata, I've wanted to tell you...”
The two stopped short.
“You first.” Zoe insisted.
“No, you go.” Sekata took her claws in his own.
“You...” Zoe said, leaning closer.
“Well, I, erm...” Sekata cleared his throat. “I wanted to say that it's really nice I got to know you.”
“Me too.” She whispered. “It's been more...peaceful recently and...”
Whether it was a conscious decision or not, neither one knew. But both were leaning closer and closer as they spoke. Sekata and Zoe were inches away from being snout to snout when...
“Hey guys!”
“Huh?” The two jumped back, startled.
“Erm, was I interrupting anything?” Janet asked.
“No, erm, we were just talking.” Sekata stuttered.
“Yeah, oh it's our shift now, right?” Zoe realized.
“Yes, I came to remind you about it.”
“Well, let's go then.” Zoe nodded, following Janet down the stairs.
That left Sekata standing alone in the second story room. Or perhaps, not entirely alone in a manner of speaking.
Lost another chance, didn't you? Aw, I thought it was going to be a happy ending after all.
Sekata froze. It was a voice he hadn't heard from for more than three weeks now.
“AncientGreymon?”
You sound so surprised kid. Or have you forgotten already about our little deal?
“...”
Look down then.
Sekata turned his eyes towards his D-Dragon. He hadn't noticed before, but there was a different screen flashing on it now. On that screen was a counter, which currently read 6.65%.
“Wha..?”
You'll do well to remember it. It's not exactly a doomsday clock, but at the same time, it's not far from that either. Watch out, 100% isn't as far away as you think.
Sekata just stood there, clenching his fists as he felt the ancient dragon's presence departing. He knew just what his tormentor meant though...that his days were numbered.
“No matter what, you won't take me without a fight!” Sekata growled. “I'll find a way...”