Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Dragon Morphs: A Digimorphs Tale ❯ In Return for the Power ( Chapter 42 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Digimon / Digital Monsters and all related trademarks belong to Bandai. The story, its original contents and ideas, and any original characters belong to the author and cannot be used or reprinted without the author's permission.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
In Return for the Power
By nightdragon0
 
 
 
Sekata opened his eyes and saw nothing other than blackness around him.
What's going on? What am I doing here? His mind felt numb and confused.
His initial reaction was fear, but Sekata blinked until his vision begun to focus. What seemed like hours to him was but a matter of seconds in reality.
That's right, I remember now. Sekata thought as a distinctively familiar demon took shape. I've changed…
The Dorugoramon clenched his claws and felt powerful flames growing within them. His talons gave off metallic clicks against the ground as he started to walk forward. The thoughts were rearranging themselves as his mind moved back into its proper place.
Whatever doubts he'd been feeling faded away as his situation came to light. And he felt something else building up inside….tremendous energy and rage, anger at the one who had done much harm to his comrades.
And Sekata let all that out in the form of a roar.
You fool… A voice within him echoed. Do you realize what you've done?
“Freed myself from your grasp, AncientGreymon.” Sekata hissed. “I've gotten hold of a power far greater than yours!”
Perhaps, but at what price? AncientGreymon's voice was distinctively annoyed. Do you even know where it comes from? Or how to control it?
“It doesn't matter! Not as long as I've surpassed you!”
Humph, you're more naïve than I thought kid. Once you start stacking your wagers too high, you'd better be prepared for a time when they'll all come crashing down on you.
“Shut up! Haven't you said enough already?” Sekata snapped. “You're just annoyed because I've got something other than your power to depend on now! You're lying just to get me back to your side!”
If that's the way you see it, than so be it. I see that it's already started infecting your mind. AncientGreymon continued. Well I'll leave you at that then. It'll be interesting to see how you do this without me.
“I've had to deal with both Cyberdramon and Vritramon forms, and curbed their instincts! Whatever it is, I can deal with this one too.”
Perhaps you have. However, this Dorugoramon is quite different from those you've had in the past. AncientGreymon warned. You'll have more than merely instincts and me to deal with.
“And why's that?”
`Darkness must defeat darkness', I quote your own words. You've drawn on the powers inside this void, plus that of the X-antibody to create this new Dorugoramon form. But are you truly willing to become the darkness?
“I…” Sekata was beginning to realize that perhaps he'd bitten off more than he could chew.
Are you ready to shoulder the responsibility that comes with that power? I'll tell you sincerely kid, you've made an even greater enemy now…
Sekata held up the D-Dragon on the fist of his right hand and glanced at its screen. The percentage counter had hit 90 exactly and stopped. However, the screen was beginning to swirl with dark colors as the numbers grew lighter and lighter, until they vanished completely.
The area rumbled as Arkadimon lumbered forward, although it seemed to hesitate in front of Sekata. The dragon still had his hand up and Arkadimon's reflection flashed in the now black screen of his D-Dragon.
However, in place of the demon's face on the body, Sekata saw that of his own Dorugoramon face.
And that enemy… AncientGreymon's voice rang out. Is yourself.
“NNNNNOOOOOO!” Sekata screamed, though it came out much more as a roar, and charged towards his opponent.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
 
Another series of explosions forced Steve to cover his head as clouds of dirt and debris were thrown up. Fuming, he squinted through the dust, trying to see his opponent. In this case, it would also be which form his opponent had taken.
Siavon's yelling rang out as the old warrior tussled with Metamorumon. It didn't help that the shape-changing Digimon shifted into a copy of BlackWargreymon in the midst of the struggle, causing Steve to lose track of friend or foe.
“Grrr…Siavon!” Steve called out.
“Over here!” One of the BlackWargreymon shouted, holding the other one from behind in a chokehold.
“No! Don't listen to it kid!” The second one yelled in an identical voice.
“What the?” Steve growled. “It's starting to copy our voices too!”
Aero was further away, tending to the injuries of Zoe and Janet. That left Steve with the sole task of trying to differentiate which one was the real Siavon.
“Hurry kid!” The first BlackWargreymon shouted again. “Shoot! I can't hold it much longer!”
“Listen kid, just shoot both of us!” The other ordered, struggling to pull his opponent's arms off his neck. “That's the only way you'll get that mimic!”
“All right…” Steve clenched his fists. “Here I go!”
Steve lowered his body and charged forward, claws outstretched. It didn't seem like he had a particular target in mind as he raised his arms, charging up his Gaia Force ability. However, the BlackWargreymon at the rear suddenly released his hold and shoved the front one into the path of Steve's shot.
The younger dragon jerked back a little, but it was too late to stop.
BOOM! The explosion knocked the armored dragon flat onto his back as Steve dashed to his side.
“Siavon! Hey, sorry old man!” Steve panted.
As if to confirm his suspicions, the standing BlackWargreymon morphed into a copy of Steve's current Wargreymon X form.
“Did you know?” Siavon grunted in pain.
“I knew only the real you would tell me to shoot both of you.”
“Well, your aim was off kid.”
“Hey, I'd like to see you try it old man!” Steve snapped.
“Careful!” Siavon warned. “It's coming!”
Steve's claws went up just in time to parry those of his opponent. The young dragon fought back, pushing against his opponent and slashing. He got two hits in, and then found himself slicing through thin air.
“Where'd he go?” Steve gasped, glancing around.
Instinctively, his head went up…just in time to see a Flamedramon descending upon him. Steve raised his claws, only to have both weapons kicked off his hands by Metamorumon. The imitating Digimon brought its flaming gauntlets down, slamming Steve in the chest.
Steve hit the dirt hard, and immediately pulled himself to his knees.
“He changes so fast, I can barely keep up.” Steve muttered, gritting his teeth. “Wait, that's it! Well if I can't beat it, I'll copy it!”
Metamorumon stood over the fallen dragon, waving its arms and taunting him.
“Hey you! Two can play the changing game!” Steve yelled, glowing in a white light.
The moment the light dispersed, Steve stood in his Magnamon form and fired off a laser burst. Metamorumon jumped back and covered its face to block out the explosion, which threw up a huge cloud of dust. The creature suddenly burst out from the cloud as a copy of Magnamon, firing its arm-mounted lasers.
But Steve was prepared and switched to his Sagittarimon armor.
He spun his bow in a circular motion to deflect the laser shots and charged forward. His opponent was going too fast to stop and Steve ploughed into him. The difference in their body masses sent Metamorumon toppling over. The shape-shifter changed into Sagittarimon as it rolled to its feet, only to find Steve, now as Raindramon, dashing between its four centaur legs.
“Heads up!” Steve growled, thrusting his nose horn into his foe's underbelly and letting off an electrical burst.
This time Metamorumon was sent spinning into the air, though it managed to change into Raindramon and shake off most of the electrical charges.
Then, a blur of light shot past. Steve, as Flamedramon with superior jumping abilities, somersaulted above his opponent and thrust down with both feet. Metamorumon didn't react in time and was literally stomped into the ground, leaving a large crater in its wake.
The shape-shifter let off an odd moan and rose, now as Flamedramon. Steve stood ready as the samurai-like Yasyamon and swung his thick wooden blades into his opponent's knees. With one of its greater advantages eliminated, Metamorumon hissed in pain and received a kick in the face, knocking it flat onto its back.
“Oh yeah!” Steve grinned, showing a thumbs-up. “I so rule! Hahaha!”
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
 
“Foolish kid, now he's made things even more complicated than before.” AncientGreymon muttered.
The armored dragon paced around the foggy graveyard, making his way along the gravel pavement, past the rows of tombstones and up to the stairs of the old temple. Of course, this was the spiritual graveyard that existed within Sekata's mind, the place where AncientGreymon dwelled in solitude.
It had all seemed so simple until now. He'd found the perfect host, one who'd taken the bait and made a pact with him. One with a heart full of rage and desire, one whose battles would keep supplying him with the energy he needed.
AncientGreymon paused and glanced up at the flashing numbers in the dark sky, with the percentage stopped at 90.
“I've suffered in this state between life and death for so long. I won't let you take this chance away from me!”
Of course, he could not let his host know that. He had to be stronger, more ferocious, more assured in order to keep his host guessing. And his cards had played out well until now. Therefore, he could not afford to lose his focus.
But with the new powers Sekata had drawn on, damn. AncientGreymon had expected the boy to be foolish and reckless, but not to this extreme.
In theory, one could think of the void Sekata had stepped into as a large, enclosed dome. Within this dome, hundreds of thin beams of lights shot out from the walls, representing all the different energies swirling within the void.
When Sekata begun to draw on those energies, the lights would turn and point towards him. And thus, he gained the appropriate energy granted by those different beams of lights. However, the kid couldn't control how many of the lights turned towards him, and in turn how to use the powers they granted.
Yet, neither could AncientGreymon, not without putting himself as risk.
And there was always that small chance that one particular `beam of light' would hit Sekata…the one representing the energies of the timeless entity, CHAOS.
“No although the CHAOS does exist within the void, its energies are too faint at the surface.” AncientGreymon told himself. “The chances of them getting to the kid are about one in a million.”
And besides, he'd be able to sense and make plans for that scenario if it did happen. Perhaps then, once the counter hit 100 and the ancient dragon had all he needed from Sekata, killing the kid might not be so much of leisure, but instead a necessity.
But what was this he was feeling? A pang of regret? No, he had lost all sense of those emotions so long ago. Since that time against the D-Reaper, when he'd been denied both death and life.
Indeed he had destroyed it, but the freak explosion had left his consciousness trapped with the Human and Beast Spirits of Fire. His existence within those two, inanimate artifacts had long since erased all of his emotions.
Nothing else mattered now, nothing until he got his life back. The life that had so wrongly been denied to the hero of the D-Reaper wars. And for that, he needed Sekata.
But why? Why did he hesitate?
“No, I am not letting him off! I am not!” AncientGreymon yelled to nobody, slamming his front paws against the pavement.
Once he had told Sekata that both of them were so much alike. Now, it was working to Sekata's advantage instead of his own.
“Damn it all! RAARRGGHH!” AncientGreymon let all his fury out before lying down on the temple steps.
It shouldn't be long now. Not long before he'd have a body again….have a life again. AncientGreymon had already seen this in his visions. Reassured that Sekata could not escape his destiny, AncientGreymon knew he just had to wait a while longer.
After all, he had already waited for an eternity. A while longer would come soon, considering the combination of Sekata's recklessness and devotion to his comrades.
Just a while longer…
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
 
“Don't get cocky kid.” Siavon came up beside Steve. “And let's finish it off before it has a chance to recover.”
“Right on it gramps.” Steve lunged forward, morphing into Gargoylemon.
Metamorumon was just getting to its feet, changing into Yasyamon at the same time. Steve simply used his wings to knock the weapons out of its hands and grabbed it around the neck.
That turned out to be his first mistake as it left his opponent's hands free to bash him on the lower jaw. Steve saw stars for a moment and accidentally released his grip. Metamorumon took the opportunity to reverse the situation and grabbed Steve from behind, shifting to Gargoylemon's form as it did.
“Dammit kid!” Siavon hissed furiously, claws raised.
“Just shoot!” Steve yelled back. “Take your own advice man!”
However, Siavon hesitated, suspecting that Steve wouldn't be able to withstand the blast as effectively. In the midst of his thoughts, Metamorumon grabbed the leather belt strapped around Steve's Gargoylemon eyes and ripped it off.
“Hey! What the?” Steve cried, confused.
Siavon attempted to fly away, but the flash that emitted from Steve's eyes blinded him in mid-air. The old warrior dropped to the ground, feeling a strange numbness spreading throughout his body.
“Garghh…arghh….” Siavon gritted his teeth as the feeling turned into pain.
He glanced down at his left hand, the hand that he had his single claw weapon strapped onto. And Siavon stared for a long time, because his hand wasn't its normal color. He didn't even have any feeling in it to begin with.
It was the dull grayish color…of stone. A dreadful gray wave that was rapidly sweeping up his arm.
There was another odd crunching sound of stone and Siavon craned his head back…to see his rear `wing plates' had turned to stone as well. He'd barely had time to register that fact before Steve's screaming echoed through the area.
The Gargoylemon was facedown on the floor, being continuously pounded on by a Metamorumon imitating his Wargreymon X form.
“Kid! Keep your eyes closed! I'm coming!”
“What? Siavon what did I do?” Steve cried in-between grunts. “Are you all right?”
“Just shut up and hold on! RARRGHH!” Siavon charged in and knocked Metamorumon aside with his one good hand.
The shape shifter stumbled and Siavon continued pounding on it in a furious rage of blows. The armored dragon's attacks were getting slower and slower as the stone curse crept through his body.
“Siavon! What's going on?” Steve shouted, groping around for the leather face band.
“Steve, hold still.” It was Aero's voice, who slipped the strap over Steve's face.
“Where is he?” Steve immediately sprang up, grabbing the dragon knight for support. “What's going on? No…”
Metamorumon was about to deliver the finishing blow to Siavon's partially petrified body when Zoe and Janet, in their respective Mega level forms, tackled the Wargreymon X copy and dragged it aside.
“Siavon!” Steve and Aero dashed to their companion's side.
The BlackWargreymon was in a kneeling position, with his right knee up and his free hand braced against it. His already petrified left arm was braced against the ground, supporting his body. The stone curse had also crept over his left torso, covering him from the waist downwards and all along his back, severely restricting his movements.
“Hey, what happened?” Steve, who was now back to his standard Flamedramon form, took hold of Siavon's right hand. “Did I…”
“It wasn't your fault.” Siavon breathed.
“A gargoyle's stone curse…” Aero whispered. “You can't stare directly into their eyes, or else…that happens.”
“Can't we do anything about it?” Steve looked up.
“I haven't heard of any way other than by defeating the one who originally placed the curse.” Aero said hesitantly.
“Steve…” Siavon pulled Steve's shoulder. It surprised Steve a little because it was one of the few times that Siavon had actually called him by his name instead of `kid'.
“I'm sorry…” Steve sniffed, tears forming in his eyes.
“Don't you dare think of doing anything to yourself for my sake.” Siavon snapped. “Or who else will be around to fix this mess of yours?”
“Um…” Steve managed a nod.
“Take care of yourself while I'm not around to baby-sit you.” Siavon managed a laugh as the stone curse crept up his chest. “And let this old dragon rest.”
“Siavon…” Aeromaru knelt down. “Is Zelia? Is she?”
Siavon responded by tugging on Aero's arm and dropping a couple of objects into his palm…the locket and the crystal shard from Evza.
“Find out…for me. For us all…” Siavon whispered. “She told me to trust my heart…and my heart entrusts this to you…”
“I promise.” Aero clutched the two objects tightly in his fist.
Screams resounded as Zoe and Janet were sent flying.
“Guys watch out!” Zoe shouted from her position on the floor.
“It's coming!” Janet added in.
Steve and Aero jerked their heads up as Metamorumon charged in. Its Wargreymon X form was battered and charred, indicating that the girls had done a respectable job.
Everything that happened next did so in slow motion.
Metamorumon jumped in, preparing to strike as it switched forms. Its body was just glowing in a shimmering white light, being in the midst of its change, when something struck it hard.
With their hands instinctively raised above their heads, Steve and Aero turned to see Siavon's right hand held up. A reddish burst escaped his palm moments before the rest of the hand was turned to stone.
The blinding flash that followed next forced everyone to look away, including Siavon, whose head was turned back as the stone curse crept over his neck, locking him in that position.
All remaining heads stared as the burning body of Metamorumon hit the ground before turning back to Siavon. The stone curse had sealed off his jaws by this time and prevented him from speaking. Only his right eye remained untouched for the moment and it looked towards Steve, who was trembling uncontrollably.
Siavon managed a wink before closing his eye and letting the wave of stone cover it completely. Steve then let off a long, mournful howl of agony and threw his arms around Siavon's cold stone form. His tears flowed down the lifeless body, mixing both with the soil and the rainwater that had suddenly begun pouring down.
Aero pounded the ground in a sense of helplessness and frustration. Janet stuck her twin swords in the ground, trying to hold back her own tears. Zoe had closed her eyes and was shaking her head when another roar sounded from down below.
Ignoring her injuries, Zoe scrambled up and sprinted over to the pit. Inside, lay the still sealed portal where once of her friends still fought for his life.
“Sekata…”
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
 
Arkadimon's tentacles instinctively shot out as Sekata approached, but the Dorugoramon was in too much of a frenzied state to be bothered at all.
“Brave Metal!” The flames as Sekata's claws spread all over his body, enshrouding him entirely in an orange glow.
Sekata barely remembered what he was doing after that. Everything seemed like a blur as he literally tore through the tentacles, followed by the body of Arkadimon itself. Each piece he sliced off burned with his flames as it was hurled further into the void, spraying out its black blood like a fountain.
The demon's screeches were completely drowned out as by Sekata's roars as he took it apart. In a matter of minutes, he was slashing at thin air simply continued at it. The power…the feeling was so great…he…he just didn't want it to end.
Then came the suction force that begun dragging Sekata into the void. Realizing he'd gone too far, Sekata scrambled in panic and dug his claws into the ground, if there was one that is. Still, he didn't seem to have a grip and was slipping further and further away.
His vision grew foggy as his strength started to falter.
Is this…really the end for me? He wondered. Darkness…that's all I see…that's…all there is…
“Sekata!” A voice called.
Wha…Zoe? Is that really you? How?
“Sekata come to your senses! Please!”
“Zoe…Zoe?” Sekata opened his eyes.
“Sekata! Over here!” Zoe was standing at the entrance to the portal, waving her arms desperately. “Come back Sekata! You're getting too far!”
“I…I can't…” Sekata panted. “It's got me Zoe. It's…I've gone….too far…”
“I trusted you!” Zoe shouted. “Have you forgotten already? You need my strength now, so let me lend it to you!”
“You don't understand! The dark powers here have already infused into my body!”
“I don't care what's happened to you! Just as long as you come back, we can find a way to help you!”
“Zoe…”
“We're a team Sekata.” Zoe held out her hand. “And you're our leader! You've gotten us this far! So don't even think about backing down now!”
I'll find a way… His own words echoed in his mind. It was what he'd said to AncientGreymon the day he'd made that deal with him. So would Zoe, and everyone else.
With a renewed burst of energy, Sekata scrambled up towards Zoe. The Imperialdramon reached back and came up with Sekata's Ryuukonken sword.
Sekata didn't know how she'd gotten a hold of it, but he realized that the magical seal on the portal must've dispersed when Zoe climbed over the edge and into the void. She grasped the bladed end and held the hilt out to Sekata.
Closer and closer, until finally his claw caught the hilt. Sekata grabbed on with all his might and pushed as hard as his legs and tail would go. Several drops of blood landed on his face and Sekata suddenly realized that they were Zoe's.
She was grasping onto and pulling the blade end of the sword, leaving long cuts across the scales on her exposed palms. Still, it didn't seem to bother her at all as Zoe furiously tugged and pulled.
Slowly, but steadily, Sekata rose upwards. Up through the portal and out of the pit….just as the walls exploded and collapsed behind the two, burying the portal and all below.
The pouring rain beat down hard on Sekata as he rose, moving to where Zoe lay panting.
“Sekata! We made it!” She cried happily.
However, the excitement was short lived as Sekata let off a low growl.
“Sekata?”
“Grrrr…Zoe…I…garrrrghh!” Sekata roared. “It's…it's got hold of me Zoe! I can't control it any more!”
“What? Sekata, what is it?” Zoe cried.
“Stop me!” Sekata managed. “Please, stop ME!”
With that, he lunged with his claws outstretched. Zoe backed off, but sparks flew as Sekata slashed into her stomach plate. The Imperialdramon dropped to the ground screaming as Sekata stood over her.
Then, a blue burst filled her vision and Sekata was suddenly on his back, moaning and groaning. Zoe blinked and realized her right hand was raised.
The same hand that her Positron Laser cannon was mounted to. And the cannon was smoking, as if it had just been fired. It then hit Zoe that she'd fired on instinct, without even thinking about it.
“Oh no!” Zoe jumped up and dashed over to where Sekata lay.
“Don't come any closer Zoe!” Sekata warned, clutching his chest in pain.
“Sekata…”
“Chain me up. Lock me somewhere and throw the key away!” Sekata raised his voice. “Do it so I won't hurt anybody else!”
“I…I can't…”
“You have to! Hurry and get it done now!”
Zoe glanced around and spotted a chain with a padlock lying on the pavement nearby. Sekata suddenly rose with a snarl and Zoe dove into a roll, grabbing the chain and springing into a kneeling position. She swung the chain several times above her head before letting it fly.
Fighting hard against his fit of madness, Sekata broke out of his attack sequence and stood still as the chain found its mark, wrapping itself around his body. Zoe knocked him down and continued to twist the chain around his dragon body, making sure to immobilize the legs, arms, wings and tail.
Finally, Zoe flipped him over and secured the chains using the padlock, clipping it shut at the back of his neck. Sekata howled and moaned as he rolled about, pathetically snapping his jaws.
Exhausted, Zoe flopped down to the ground. She reverted back to her XV-mon form and couldn't help but break into tears.
Janet and the others had all been watching the scene from further away. Everyone spent the next few minutes in the pouring rain catching their breath as Aero returned, carrying Zelia's body in his arms.
“Antiramon's gone.” The Alforce V-dramon reported solemnly.
“Leave her be.” Steve spoke up. “She helped us win this day. So we should just let her go.”
Janet had been silent all this time, but now the Gaioumon stood up and wiped the rain out of her face.
“We won this day…” Janet muttered. “But it doesn't feel like a victory at all.”
“We've all had losses.” Zoe walked over, never taking her eyes off Sekata's bound and struggling form. “It's bittersweet…”
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
 
“Looks like everything's finally died down.” Dynamo remarked, squinting against the rain.
“Yeah, after all those weird lights and freaky howls, I'm glad it's over.” Metallix sighed.
The three were standing on top of a hill overlooking the remains of the ancient city. Dynamo had been using a spyglass, but couldn't make out much at all. That left the group only to speculate what was going on down below.
“Think the boss found what he was looking for?” Metallix asked. “You know, that CHAOS thing and all?”
“If he did, I think he would've come back by now.” Dynamo replied. “He's probably still searching around inside that portal he had his pet Arkadimon create. Which is bad.”
“Why?”
“Because we won't be getting our paychecks while he's in there.” Dynamo fumed, his cape flapping in the breeze.
“After all this, that's still the only thing on your mind.” Junon said with a soft laugh. The pink armored knight had been sitting silently by the side with her helmet off.
“Hey, you should get it out of your head that I'm stupid!” Dynamo retorted. “If I was, I wouldn't have dragged you out of that place.”
Junon hesitated for a while before looking up.
“Thanks.”
“Hm? For what?” Dynamo scratched his head, confused.
“For getting me out of there.” Junon explained. “I was being overzealous back then. That could've led to disaster. Truth is, even I don't exactly know what Lucifer's really after. I just stay so close to him because…”
“It makes you feel important?”
“More of my pride as a Royal Knight.” Junon got to her feet. “I feel that I have to live up to that name.”
“Boss probably feels the same way, heh.” Metallix interrupted.
“Not very likely. Lord Lucifer comes for a lineage that has never been known as desirable in the eyes of the population.” Junon shook her head. “And because of that, it's always bad with his business dealings, he used to tell me. Hmmm…”
“What is it?” Dynamo asked.
“Forget it. It's Evza that has me worried too.”
“That she's disappeared again?”
“I don't entirely trust her.” Junon folded her arms. “Although she did mention earlier that there was some experiment she was looking for under this city.”
“Experiment?” Dynamo sighed. “Hey, doesn't she already have enough of those?”
“It was something different, a very different and ancient experimental project.” Junon brought up a handheld data pad and tapped several buttons on its screen. “However, since her current position is moving away from this location, I assume that she wasn't able to find it.”
“Current position? Hey, this looks familiar!” Dynamo snatched the device out of her hands. “It's my tracking screen! I was wondering where it went to!”
“Hey, does this mean you…” Metallix began.
“Yes, I planted a tracking bug on Evza's robes.” Junon grinned. “I want to figure out why she stayed so close to Lucifer, and I should be able to do so by following her. And perhaps, she might lead us to Lucifer in the end.”
“I'll come along, on the condition that you let me handle my own equipment.” Dynamo fiddled with a couple of buttons of the touchpad. “My designs mean a lot to me you know?”
“That, I will not argue with.”
“And say, you can always give me a kiss while you're at it.” Dynamo smirked, turning his face. “You know? For the knight getting the princess out of trouble thing.”
SLAP!
“Don't push you luck buddy! I'd just as soon kiss a dinosaur.” Junon snapped.
“I can arrange that!” The Chaos Dukemon responded. “Hey, and I AM a Guilmon too! So maybe I should revert so I can get my kiss.”
“Dream on!”
“So I will!”
“Hey guys…” Metallix turned back to glance down at the ancient city. “Even if Evza didn't find the experiment, that doesn't mean that it isn't there, right?”
“Well, I suppose there's a chance it could be buried somewhere deep within.” Junon was caught slightly off guard.
“Because I heard her describing it to the boss while we were on the boat.” Metallix shivered. “And it sounds even worse than Arkadimon! So what if someone finds it?”
“Then I hope the Digital Gods have mercy on his soul.” Junon said as they started walking away.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
 
“WAAAAAHHH! AAARRRGGHH!” Mihiramon the tiger rolled down the hole, screaming all the way.
At the end, he emerged into a large, dimly lit room and was thrown roughly onto his face. Moaning, he pulled himself to all fours, rubbing his sore nose.
“Aren't cats supposed to land on their feet?” Makuramon's voice sounded.
“Hey, you're here too?” Mihiramon looked up.
“Yes, I get stuck with the only cat that lands on his face.”
“I'm quitting the business.” Mihiramon growled. “I can't take all this stuff anymore.”
“You might as well.” His monkey companion muttered sorely. “We had everything in our grasp, and it all slipped away in a matter of seconds.”
The Deva slammed his hand down on the platform he was sitting on, and unintentionally moved a lever into its down position. All at once, the lights of the room came on, startling the pair.
Now that it was brighter, the Devas could see the place they had stumbled into was some sort of laboratory. The walls were all white colored and featureless. Tables, chairs and various pieces of laboratory equipment were scattered in messy piles all around the area.
However, the thing that attracted the most attention was the series of huge, semi-translucent cylinders lining the rear wall. All of them were broken or shattered, except for a lone survivor in the far corner.
“Hmm? It seems like there's something inside that one.” Makuramon dragged his companion over.
The cylinder was filled with a light green liquid, but despite that, the creature within was still visible. Both Devas gasped in awe as they looked up.
It was a strange looking creature, and one even more difficult to describe. For starters, it was a large and bulky creature, easily filling up the entire cylinder. It seemed somewhat like a mix of a centaur and a dragon, but with a series of jointed legs like a crab's and the tail of Death-X Dorugoramon, bearing a shimmering orb as the barb of its tail.
The creature bore a total of three sets of red and black feathery wings on the back of the `horse' part of its body. Beyond that was the trunk of and head of Death-X Dorugoramon. Although the body and head had the same purple and golden coloring of Death-X Dorugoramon, the arms were completely different. Instead, they were thin and long, ending in razor-sharp four fingered claws.
One more prominent feature that stood out was the green jewel embedded in the creature's chest.
This Digimon was known as Death-Xmon, a truly fearsome sight to behold.
“What the heck is it?” Mihiramon stared.
“Could it be? Is this thing the lost experiment that vanished with this city?” Makuramon walked up to a control panel in front of the cylinder. “These symbols are strange too. But I believe it's a very old and ancient language.”
“Hey, are you sure it's safe to do that?” Mihiramon protested as his companion begun tapping on the control panel. “What if that creature…”
He never got to finish that sentence as an ear-splitting crash interrupted him in mid-speech. The tiger was violently grabbed by a long arm and crushed in the claws attached to its end. Makuramon fared no better and could only let off a short scream before he too was dragged into oblivion.
A pair of emotionless, glowing red eyes was the last thing either of them saw.
“He is here.” The creature's voice resounded throughout the empty room. “He has awakened. So, at long last, our time has come…”
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
 
1 week later…
“Hey Aero…”
“Oh, hi Steve.” Aero looked up from his desk as Steve opened the door to his room.
“Still trying to figure those two out?” The Flamedramon indicated the locket and the shimmering crystal, which lay amongst the pile of books and papers on the desk.
“Yeah, I figured out that this crystal is like a tracker.” Aero held it up between his fingers. “However, I am not sure how to activate it.”
“You've been working almost round the clock since we got back.” Steve placed a claw on his shoulder. “We both owe it to Siavon, but even the old man wouldn't want you to get so ruffled up like this.”
“I know, but I just feel like I'm so close.” Aero closed the book in front of him and lay back against his chair. “If only Siavon could've told me more before he…”
Steve didn't need to look to know that Aero was glancing over to Siavon's petrified form, which stood in the corner of the room.
“I know.” The younger dragon sighed. “The old man always said that he'd help to decorate our base one day, but I don't think he meant that in a literal sense.”
“Steve!”
“Hey, I'm just kidding. It's called trying to lighten the mood you know?”
“Sorry.” Aero muttered. “I just have a lot on my mind.”
His eyes fell upon the desktop image on his computer, which had him standing beside their fallen comrade, Zelia the Raptordramon, in a field of flowers.
“How about the locket?” Steve queried.
“I'm certain there's nothing special about it other than the picture. Everything definitely lies with this crystal here.”
“I was referring to if you've made up your mind to tell the rest of them about Siavon's…”
“No, not just yet.” Aero shook his head. “Everyone's still recovering from the recent events. And we should look into it first, before…”
“Steve? Hey bro are you here?” A voice called from below.
“Rain? Hey is that you?” Steve gasped. “You're finally here!”
“Looks like your little Raindramon brother's made his way down here again.” Aero nudged him. “Better go see to him like a big brother should.”
“Haha, very funny.” Steve laughed, pulling his hands back along the table. However, as he did so, Steve accidentally dragged a couple of books off, which fell and landed open in a pile.
“Oh man, sorry about that!” Steve yelled as he dashed out the door. “I'll be back to clean that up later!”
“Which is pretty much a never.” Aero frowned, leaning over.
The crystal slipped from his claws as he did so, landing on top of one of the open books. It didn't so much as land, but rather it was as if it was sucked towards the page, and stuck firmly there. Aero lifted the book up and realized that it contained a collection of old maps.
With most of the map data available in electronic format, the paperbacks weren't used as widely now. But as Aero glanced down at the page, he found the tip of the crystal pointed to a certain spot on the map. The book was quite outdated, but with a little cross-referencing, he could work out the exact location.
Perhaps this was the secret of the crystal after all, to guide him in the right direction.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
 
BAM! Janet frowned as the white ball ended up in the pool table's pocket instead of the red one she'd been aiming for. The Strikedramon stepped back and allowed Katsu to make his move.
“You're not concentrating.” The bug-type told her.
“Yeah, I'm still ticked off over the recent events.” Janet admitted, shifting the cue between her claws. “After being totally humiliated like that, we came back and got so close…only to lose it all again.”
“Hit another dead-end, you mean?” Katsu failed to knock a colored ball into the hole and motioned to Janet.
“The portal is completely sealed up, and we don't think there's a way to open it again from the same location.” Janet leaned across the table and took aim. “So Lucifer is basically running around in who-knows-where and there's no way to go after him right now. Plus, we haven't heard from any of his goons since that battle, not like they'd be of any help anyway.”
“I thought you had several acquaintances of yours helping out?”
“Yes, in trying to trace these dark crystal shards formed from the energies emitted when the portal closed. It's some complicated theory about how raw energy turns into crystals, but if we can track those down, they could lead to another portal, and perhaps even a way to open it.”
“But those crystals would've been blown far away by the last explosion.”
“Precisely. Meaning that they could be practically anywhere.” Janet drew her arm back. “And that sucks!”
This time, she struck home and sent the red colored ball rolling into one of the corner pockets.
“Hey guys!” Steve barged excitedly into the room, accompanied by the Raindramon, `Rain'. “I think we have a lead!”
“Yeah, my fellow knights managed to trace a dark crystal shard being sold on the black market!” Rain added in.
“Well, out with it already!” Janet tossed her cue aside, cracking her knuckles. “I'm itching for some action!”
“RRAARRGHH! GGRRRRRAAAOOGGGHHH!” A series of roars drove everyone in the room into silence.
“Erm, what the heck was that?” Rain asked nervously.
“That's Sekata.” Janet answered solemnly.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
 
He looked really pitiful and Zoe could barely stand to stare at him like that. However, the greatly overturned furniture in the basement cell was proof enough of Sekata's current state of madness.
The Dorugoramon was bound by multiple chains to a large steel chair. His arms were tied behind the chair, as was his tail that was pulled through a hole at the backrest. His massive wings were folded against his back as the chains ran all across his chest. Sekata's legs too were chained to the chair's legs, leaving him with practically no allowance for movement at all.
What Zoe held in her hands now was the muzzle usually placed over his head. Sekata was snarling and snapping his jaws about wildly, much to Zoe's dismay.
“How long will you be like this Sekata?” She whispered.
She stood watching for a while longer and finally gathered up enough courage to approach him again. Sekata seemed to calm down as she reached out and ran a claw across his shoulder. However, he quickly went back to his normal routine and snapped his jaws at Zoe, even though she was out of reach.
Zoe hadn't been able to do anything to help him. Every time she tried, it seemed as if there was a wall of blackness blocking out his mind from hers. Nevertheless, she'd been coming to see him everyday, no matter how much it pained her to do so.
“H…e's…com…ing…”
Zoe jerked up. Had that been Sekata's voice? Had he actually spoken this time?
“Sekata?” Zoe leaned closer. “Sekata, do you remember me? What's going on inside your mind?”
“He's…coming…” Sekata repeated, though it was difficult to make out the words that came out as a mixture of barks and growls.
“He?” Zoe wondered. “Who?”
“D…ea…th…” The dragon hissed. “Dea…th…X…”