Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Dragon Morphs: A Digimorphs Tale ❯ Homecoming ( Chapter 49 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Digimon / Digital Monsters and all related trademarks belong to Bandai. The story, its original contents and ideas, and any original characters belong to the author and cannot be used or reprinted without the author's permission.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
Homecoming
By nightdragon0
 
 
 
Sekata shoved the head of Chaosdramon into a box at the back of Rain's motorbike and slammed the cover. He'd made sure to tie its jaws shut first, for the head was making much more noise than he could take.
“Whoa, you guys definitely made a mess of this place.” Rain commented, glancing around.
The rest of the group were back to human form and had met up with Rain, who'd ridden the motorbike to the bridge they now stood on. The structure was an elevated one, giving them a good look at the destruction their battle had caused in the city square.
“We're definitely attracting way too much attention.” Janet nodded.
“The Chaosdramon problem may be out of the way, but right now, I think we need to concentrate on the reality problem.” Sekata spoke up.
“Except that there's no obvious solution to that.” Steve sighed.
“Well, how about those men in black that keep attacking us?” Janet suggested.
“Men in black?” Steve stared.
“Oh yeah, I forgot that Steve hasn't encountered them yet.” Zoe realized. “Rain, could you put Chaosdramon…well, somewhere secure first?”
“You have any suggestions?” Rain scratched his head.
“Lock him up in our mansion's storeroom. That'll definitely be enough to hold him.” Steve decided. “And wait for me there. I'll give you a call.”
“Will do bro.” Rain strapped his helmet on, cranking the bike's engine to life. The rider sped off with Chaosdramon's head safely secured in the rear box.
“He certainly learns how this world works pretty fast.” Zoe remarked. “Faster than we did on the opposite side at least.”
“Have you seen a dragon symbol on his hand or anything?” Janet asked. “You know, like ours?”
“Definitely not.” Steve replied. “I already confirmed it with him. And by the way, what men in black were you talking about earlier?”
“Well, you see…” Zoe began.
“Erm, how about the one standing right over there!” Janet pointed.
The four whirled around to find a fourth black suit standing on the road behind them. And this was one that none of the group had encountered before…
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
 
“Man, he looks out of place.” Steve muttered.
“Oh sure, and the four of us in tatters and rags looks perfectly normal.” Janet snapped sarcastically.
Sekata and Zoe joined them in leaping to defensive stances, readying the glowing dragon head symbols on their hands.
Surprisingly, the black suit didn't advance any further, but raised his hands and spoke.
“I have come not to fight, but to talk.”
Something about the aura of the voice seemed familiar to Sekata, but he wasn't about to start taking chances. With his fingers, the morph gestured for each of his three companions to watch the other directions and approached the strange man.
“Who are you?” Sekata demanded.
“I believe you already know, for we have met before.” The black suit pulled down his sunglasses, revealing an odd, fiery glow in his eyes. “You were Vritramon then.”
“I still am, but….hmm?” Sekata looked down at the dragon image on his hand. Slowly, it changed to become an orange Kanji symbol.
The Kanji for `minami', or the South.
“I gave you that mark if you remember.”
“Could it be?” Sekata gasped. “Zhuqiaomon?”
“Zhuqiaomon? One of the four God Megas?” Zoe wondered.
As if to answer that question, a shadowy form of the phoenix rose up behind the black suit. The image was semi-translucent, but retained the orange tint of Zhuqiaomon's feathers.
His body was as Sekata remembered it, a gigantic bird with two sets of wings on his back and a tail like a dragon's. Even from the image, it was possible to make out the reddish glow in Zhuqiaomon's eyes and the yellowish mane at the back of his head.
One prominent feature was a set of shimmering red orbs that hovered around the Digital deity's neck.
“Yes and no.” Both the mouth of the human and the beak of Zhuqiaomon's image moved. “This human form you speak to is being controlled by myself. Although he may speak in his own voice and manner, he was created by me for this purpose.”
“Purpose?” Janet asked.
“I am not able to leave my domain and enter this world myself. Doing so would further disrupt the flow of reality. A disruption, which has been caused by you.”
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
 
“Hey, what are you accusing us for?” Steve snapped. “It's not our fault that we…”
“Calm down Steve.” Zoe tugged his arm. “It's important that we hear him out.”
“The reality shift initially begun when the four of you were brought to the Digital World.” Zhuqiaomon's avatar explained. “You may already know that your existence in the human world was erased and replaced by one in the Digital World. As such was the law of space and time, you were supposed to lose the memories of your original world and gain ones of yourselves here, in the Digital World.”
“But something went wrong, didn't it?” Zoe spoke up. “We kept the memories of our human pasts instead.”
“Indeed, and through contact with one of your group, I learnt this fact. However, I made the decision to hold back for the moment.”
“But our Digimon memories started to come up.” Zoe noted. “When our two sets of memories begun to clash, then the reaction of the Chaos Shards…all this happened.”
“I'm confused.” Steve moaned, scratching his head.
“Thus, you are also the cause of the disturbances in this reality.”
“You're referring to the Digital Fields?” Sekata questioned.
“I am.” Zhuqiaomon's avatar nodded. “And in order to restore the balance, you would have to return to the Digital World and give up your memories of the human world.”
This statement caused startled gasps to emerge from the party.
“But why not the other way round?” Steve finally found his voice.
“Even in this world, you are drawing upon your powers of evolution. That links you more strongly to the Digital World.”
“Then why the memories?” Janet asked. “What's so important about them?”
“To gain something of great value, you must sacrifice something of equal value.” Zhuqiaomon spoke, not answering the question directly.
“Wait, if you control this form…” Zoe trailed off. “Then the other three must be controlled by…”
“You are correct. They are indeed my brethren, Qinglongmon (Azulongmon) of the East, Xuanwumon of the North and Baihumon of the West.”
“Then, is that why they've been after us?” She continued. “To remove our human memories and return us to the Digital World?”
“No.” Was Zhuqiaomon's reply. “They seek the other possible solution….to remove you from existence entirely.”
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
 
“What?” Janet blurted out. “They think that by killing us they can solve all their damned problems?”
“In theory, it does make sense.” Zoe whispered. “Though I'm hardly in agreement with the practical part.”
“Where do you stand in this?” Sekata directed a firm question at Zhuqiaomon.
“Although I do not share in the same intentions as my brethren, my interests are the same.” The phoenix responded. “To restore the balance of reality.”
“And how?”
“That is a decision I want you to make for yourselves.” Zhuqiaomon continued in his ever hypothetical tone. “However, the others seek out you and your companions. Like this one here…”
The group of four turned around for yet another surprise. The Asian, black suited man was now walking towards them with his hands in his pockets. A bluish glow flashed as the shadowy image of Qinglongmon rose up behind him.
It was an Eastern style blue dragon, whose serpent-like body seemed to be made out of clouds and lightning held together by a series of chains. Several small pairs of white wings were visible along his back, though more for decoration as this dragon's means of flight were more on a mystical plane.
A white mane and beard protruded from beneath a blue and yellow lightning bolt decorated mask, giving him a very ancient but wise look. Like Zhuqiaomon, a distinctive feature was the set of glowing blue orbs. However, they floated around each of Qinglongmon's four limbs instead of the neck.
“Step aside.” Qinglongmon boomed, obviously directing his voice at Zhuqiaomon. “You know what must be done.”
“This is only how you see it as.” The phoenix responded with the same dissatisfaction.
“Unfortunately for you, we're not intending to let you do as you please!” Sekata roared, leaping up and changing into his Dorugoramon form at the same time.
The image of Qinglongmon swung its massive tail and knocked Sekata down, much to the latter's astonishment. Sekata hit the ground hard, leaving a huge crater in the road.
It wasn't the end of his misfortune as blue electricity crackled throughout his body. An aftereffect of touching Qinglongmon's body that left him howling in pain.
“Sekata!” Zoe, Steve and Janet shifted into their Digimon forms as well. Each one launched off his or her projectile, Positron Laser, Poseidon Force and Gaia Reactor respectively.
The God of the East rained down a hail of blue lightning bolts that blew their projectiles away. However, there were more bolts that necessary, forcing the group to start ducking and dodging the rest.
Qinglongmon then spun his serpentine body, sending out a strong gust of wind that took the other dragons off their feet.
All of a sudden, the image of Zhuqiaomon ploughed into his Eastern counterpart. Huge waves of energy shot out as the two clashed.
“Go.” The Southern God ordered. “Your friend is in danger.”
“Rain? Are you taking about Rain?” Steve shouted.
“Let's hurry!” Janet pulled his arm. “We can catch up with him.”
The four dragons took to the sky, leaving Zhuqiaomon and Qinglongmon to their own struggle.
“Do you truly believe in these mortals so much?” Qinglongmon growled.
“Their leader may have passed my trial in the past, but they are also the ones chosen by Omegamon. His power is fading and the CHAOS may not remain sealed for much longer.”
“It is not our duty to interfere in their affairs.” Qinglongmon reminded him. “The CHAOS is a problem mortals must face for themselves. And Omegamon keeping it in-between the worlds only served to complicate matters.”
“Well they interest me.” Zhuqiaomon said calmly.
“Another one of your games?” The Eastern deity taunted.
“There still is a way for them to correct this reality shift. But only if they should choose to accept it.”
“And you are suggesting?”
“We leave the decision up to the mortals.” The phoenix said with a grin. “And then my friend, perhaps you'll understand why they interest me so much.”
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
 
Sure enough, it wasn't difficult for the flying dragons to catch up with Rain's motorcycle, especially when he'd ridden back into town. The only problem was the two black suits surroundings the downed biker.
“Rain!” Steve yelled, alerting the attackers to their entrance. “Get out of there!”
“Sorry bro!” Rain panted, jumping to his feet and taking cover behind a line of safety barriers.
Two more images appeared behind the black suits.
One was that of a white tiger with purple stripes and an elaborately decorated purple mask that hid his eyes from view. Pieces of his armor included a row of spikes running down his back, a pair of gauntlets around his front legs, and spiked metal rings around his rear limbs and tail.
He too had a circle of glowing yellow orbs floating around his waist.
The other was best described as a mix between a two-headed turtle and an ancient tree. More specifically, the tree seemed to grow out of the brown turtle's shell. His circle of orbs was around the tree, hanging down as if they were fruits of sorts.
Baihumon and Xuanwumon respectively.
“Gaia Force!” Steve called out his attack, hurling a huge ball of energy at the two.
The images of the Digital Gods moved, Baihumon leaping over the attack while Xuanwumon turned to his side, blocking out the shot. The former swiftly ploughed into Zoe and Janet, knocking them aside.
“Brave Metal!” Sekata's body blazed with flames as he charged, slamming into the guardian of the West.
Huge amounts of energy sizzled as the two struggled, finally ending with Sekata skidding backwards before rolling head-over-heels.
“Grrr…why does this keep happening?”
A sudden pain ran into his mind and Sekata realized that he was lying on his broken tail. Changing forms hadn't healed the injury and it still hurt rather badly.
Zoe stepped forward and fired off several Positron Lasers, which Baihumon deflected with a swipe of his claws. Subsequently, the armored dragons were forced to dodge the redirected lasers.
Walls crumbled above them as the lasers blew buildings apart, showering Sekata and Zoe with falling debris.
Steve and Janet combined their projectile attacks into a single energy ball that struck Xuanwumon dead on. The Digital deity lowered his heads and caught the attacks against his shell. With a shake of his massive body, Xuanwumon dispersed the energy ball as if it were a mere sparkle.
The turtle then stomped the ground, sending out shockwaves that the morphs avoided by taking to the sky. However, many chunks of the road were suddenly thrown up and into their faces, sending both back down to the ground.
“Damn, none of our attacks are working.” Sekata snarled under his breath. “We're fighting a losing battle here.”
“Any other ideas?” Zoe whispered.
Sekata was about to reply when a couple of bright lights flashed across the sky. The glowing images of Zhuqiaomon and Qinglongmon slowly descended.
“Stop now.” Qinglongmon ordered, causing his two comrades to look up. “This matter can be settled by other means.”
Baihumon and Xuanwumon ceased their assault and stepped into place beside Zhuqiaomon and Qinglongmon.
“We shall discuss this in a more private place, perhaps?” Qinglongmon turned to address Sekata and his party.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
 
“We're willing to hear you out.” Sekata replied of behalf of his friends.
“Not like we have much of a choice anyway.” Steve whispered, receiving a sharp jab in the ribs from Janet.
As the four dragons watched, the city and buildings around them faded away, giving rise to a dark void. Staring in awe, the group backed into each other as the God Megas appeared before them.
All four were still in their semi-translucent images, but the human forms they had controlled were nowhere to be seen. None of the Gods were physically present, but instead communicating from his own realm in a place unknown to all.
“Time grows short and this breach in reality much be corrected in order to avert disaster.” Qinglongmon's voice echoed throughout the darkest reaches of the void.
“It is all as I have explained before.” Zhuqiaomon continued. “Repairing the breach is a choice you have to make.”
“Does it really have to be this way?” Sekata looked up.
“You cannot exist both as humans and as Digimon.” Qinglongmon told him. “That is the way of things.”
“But our original world, it will still exist right?” Zoe asked.
“Indeed, but it does so without your presence. The Digital World, on the other hand, has been permanently altered by your actions.”
“In other words, we played bigger parts in affecting the Digital World than we did for the human world.” Janet huffed. “That's not very fair, isn't it?”
“What if we had wanted it to be the other way round?” Steve added in.
“Tell me mortals…” Baihumon suddenly spoke. “What can you recall of your past now? As Digimon?”
Steve was taken aback, but Sekata stepped forward.
“I know I was a Battle Card champion, as well as an underground pit fighter at a time.” The Dorugoramon closed his eyes. “But I guess, I got sick of it all. I left and went wild, living in that cave. The place that I first met you Zoe.”
“That was after I ran away from that tangle with Steve and Janet.” Zoe continued for him. “For now, I know I'm a descendant of one of the Original Royal Knights. And I was Steve's adopted sister, although I ended up running away too.”
The Imperialdramon shot a quick glance over to Steve.
“When I just smacked into him again, I really didn't know what to make of it.”
Steve paused, giving some thought to the matter, before voicing out `his' own story.
“Yeah, what she said. With that, I was also the leader of the Digimetal Knights.” The Wargreymon X lowered his voice. “So Rain…”
Letting the sentence trail off, Steve turned to see the surprised expressions on everyone's faces. All except for Zoe, whom he had discussed the matter with after rescuing her.
“For me, I was a mechanic and happening to be studying the secrets of a Digimon's evolution.” It was Janet's turn. “Steve, Zoe and myself got into brawl at that clearing somehow. That's all I can place for now.”
“It seems that you already know.” The two heads of Xuanwumon spoke in unison. “By giving up your other sets of memories, these will become complete.”
“But our current situation…” Zoe cut in. “And the Digital World, I mean…”
“All will remain as it is. Of that you can be assured.”
Having no more questions, Zoe stepped back. The dragoness glanced over to Steve and Janet, who in turn looked towards Sekata.
Inwardly, the Dorugoramon sighed. He was still their `leader' and the others were expecting him to voice out the decision. And truthfully, Steve had been right.
It wasn't much of a choice.
As much as his instincts screamed for him to fight tooth and nail to keep his memories, Sekata knew that his team didn't stand a chance against the four God Megas.
Some strange feeling made him shoot a quick glance over to Zhuqiaomon. The phoenix was silent and it was difficult to tell any thing from the look on his face. However, the thoughts of their earlier conversation flashed through Sekata's mind.
To gain something of great value, you must sacrifice something of equal value…. Wait! That could be it!
“What if we give up the memories of our Digimon pasts instead?”
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
 
The statement even had the Digital Gods surprised.
“It is possible.” Qinglongmon answered. “However, you do realize that by doing so, you will keep memories of a past in the human world that never happened? And lose the memories of your Digimon pasts forever?”
“I guess my other side is a part of me that I just can't let go of.” Sekata folded his arms. “Besides, it's those memories that made us what we are today.”
“I agree with him.” Zoe stepped forward. “As long as the memories exist, there's always hope right?”
“Yeah, me too.” Janet nodded.
“I'll go with the flow.” Steve shrugged. “Once I can figure out what's going on.”
“Steve!” Everybody yelled.
“Ok, ok! Can't you all take a joke in this highly prestigious situation?”
“You'll never change.” Janet moaned.
“If that is your choice mortals, then it can be done.” Qinglongmon interrupted. “You must return to the Digital World now.”
“How about the others?” Steve asked. “Rain and…”
“They will be returned as well.” Zhuqiaomon assured. “Now, brace yourselves!”
As the void begun to tremble, Sekata could've sworn that the Southern deity shot him a brief wink.
However, the world around then started to spin…moving faster and faster by the second. Dorugoramon, Imperialdramon, Gaioumon and Wargreymon were all tossed about in a huge and violent tangle.
The spinning then came to an abrupt halt, slamming the four against what seemed like the wall. Orientating themselves, the party found themselves standing inside a long tunnel.
It was a relatively circular structure with dimensions that no one could seem to make out. Like the void from before, this tunnel was black all around except for the two ends. One end opened into whitish light while at the end of the other side, the exit was all black.
“Anyone get the number of that truck?” Janet grunted, staggering to her feet.
“I've got a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.” Steve added in.
“This isn't the Digital World.” Sekata voiced out. “So, where are we?”
“Lost, that's a possibility.” Steve muttered.
“Anyone else feel that?” Zoe suddenly asked.
“What?” Sekata queried.
“That presence. It's very strong here.”
“Presence?” Sekata wondered. “Wait, I think I somehow do.”
“We haven't felt it since like…our first or second day as Digimon.” Zoe continued.
All the screens of the group's D-Dragons lit up at once. Displayed on them was a circular symbol, almost like an eye and half a sun combined. But the group knew them better as the crests of Courage and Friendship.
It has been a long time. A voice reverberated in their minds, causing the startled group to glance around in surprise.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
 
“Omegamon…it's you.” Sekata gasped.
Our time is short, but I will explain what I can. The voice of Omegamon spoke directly into the dragons' minds, although it seemed soft and barely audible at times. I once fought the entity know as CHAOS, sending it here, a dimension that exists between the Digital World and the Human World. While I was able to seal off its main body, CHAOS was more intelligent than I expected.
“And it sought out our world?” Zoe suggested.
Yes, CHAOS released a small portion of itself, a `Shade', into the Human World instead. What it needed was a suitable host to bring forth its full powers again. Omegamon continued. In my weakened state, I knew that I was no match for CHAOS if it were to recover. Therefore, the only option available to me was to send out Shades of my own, and find those suitable for battling the CHAOS and pass pm part of my powers to them.
“So, that was us?” Janet called. “And those `men' that originally gave Sekata and Zoe the Digivices? Those were yours?”
Indeed. And the rest you know.
“Us being dumped into the Digital World and all.” Steve sighed.
After our first encounter, I did not have the strength to contact you any more. Omegamon's voice grew weaker. But I'm glad to see you've overcome all the challenges that have come before you. And I believe that you'll find a way through this last one too…
“Wait! How about you?” Zoe shouted. “Are you my ancestor then?”
“And the reality shift?” Steve pressed.
In a way, everything was meant to be as it is now. That is why the Shades choose you. As those who've been through this dimension before can last far longer in it than any other.
“This Shade of CHAOS that you spoke of.” Sekata rubbed his chin thoughtfully. “What happened to it?”
That I do not know. I was unable to trace it once it had entered the Human World. Omegamon said with a pang of regret. However, it could be that the Shade of CHAOS managed to cross over to the Digital World and has found a suitable host already. Or the host may be in the human world too.
“It used the Human World as a transference point?”
In either case, the host may not even know he has been possessed by the shade.
“But it hasn't brought its host back to CHAOS yet, am I correct?” Sekata queried. “Because if it already had, I assume that we would not be standing here talking right now.”
However, time is indeed running out. Omegamon's voice began to die off. Once it is all done, there might still be a way…reality…to return…
The tunnel had been vibrating ever so slightly and now burst out in a massive tremble, one that sent the group spiraling into darkness again.
“No! Wait! Omegamon!” Zoe's scream was lost to the `winds'.
“Zhuqiaomon!” Sekata yelled. “I know you're there! Give us more time!”
“That cannot be done.” The Southern deity's voice echoed over the raging storm. “Staying between the worlds during a transaction is far too unstable. This is a place you must reach on your own power.”
“And so we shall.” Sekata clenched his claws as his vision spun into darkness.
“This shall be an interesting scenario to observe, mortal.” Zhuqiaomon chuckled as his voice faded away.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
 
“Ugh…” Sekata groaned, rolling onto his back.
Grass…he was lying on grass and out in an open field as the warm sunlight shone down upon them. The sky was clear and blue, with the sounds of birds singing in the trees.
“Everyone!”
Now back to their standard forms, Zoe, Janet and Steve were nearby, slowly regaining consciousness.
“We're fine.” Zoe waved.
“Yeah, if you consider us being spun through dimensions like dirty laundry, then yeah, we're all fine and dandy.” Steve moaned.
“Oh don't be such a hatchling.” Janet snapped.
“That coming from someone who puked on a rollercoaster when she was…”
“Grrr…”
“Hey guys!” All heads turned as a set of padded feet trotted across the grass. It was Rain, now back to being a Raindramon and carrying a brown sack in his jaws.
“Rain! You're all right!” Steve ran over and gave the quadruped dragon a hug, causing him to drop the sack. “I was worried about you!”
“Well, I kinda got knocked out with all those explosions shaking the ground when you guys were fighting.” Rain admitted sheepishly. “So I guess I sort of missed the whole thing. I remember being thrown around in some dark, deep space, and then I woke up here.”
“A lot has happened.” Steve explained. “Or rather, we've learnt a lot too. But I think I'd better talk to you alone, if it's ok with you…”
“Oh hurry and go.” Janet waved in another direction.
Giving his companions a nod of approval, Steve hooked his Flamedramon gauntlets on his belt and led Rain away.
Neither was gone for long before something in the sack started moving and uttering muffled growls.
“Oh great, he's still here.” Sekata snatched up the sack and opened it to see Chaosdramon's severed head inside.
“Grrrrarrgghhh! Let me out of here! You can't do this to me! Grrrraaarrrrrmmmuuuppp!” The mechanical dragon's screeching was cut off as Sekata closed the sack.
“So, what should we do with him?” Janet asked.
“As much as I just want to go and toss him into the nearest lava pit…” Sekata turned to Zoe.
“Why look at me?” The XV-mon gasped.
“You're the one who talked me out of ripping him to scrap metal remember?”
“Erm, well…let's just keep him somewhere and hope he'll cool off eventually.” Zoe suggested. “Our storeroom would be a good choice.”
“Heads up guys.” Janet gestured. “Look who's here!”
A very red-faced Aero V-dramon descended from the sky, panting as he landed.
“It's just like you lot to simply vanish and then miraculously appear out of thin air.” Aero breathed. “Next time, could you at least leave me a message first?”
“Sorry to have you worried.” Sekata patted him on the shoulder. “How long have we been gone?”
“Slightly more than a day.” Aero replied. “You guys want to start explaining?”
Sekata, Zoe and Janet glanced at each other and sighed.
“It's a long story…”
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
 
“Pretty amazing thing, huh?” Rain looked up.
“Yeah.” Steve picked up a pebble by his feet and tossed it into the stream they were sitting by.
Doing that made the Flamedramon smile inwardly. This was a nice spot they'd found, under the shade of a tree with a cool breeze blowing past. It was something he used to do with his brother back in the human…
No… Steve corrected himself. That exists only in my memories now.
Even though the others had their own problems, none of them seemed to mind too much that they wouldn't be going back now. Perhaps so that they weren't as open about it, and he was certain that the others all had their own ways of dealing with their emotions.
Steve felt an ache in his heart again, until he turned towards Rain.
“It's not what you leave behind, it's what you gain in the days ahead.” The Raindramon suddenly spoke, as if reading Steve's thoughts.
“Hmm?”
“My brother used to tell me that.” Rain whispered, almost on instinct. “Erm, well, I mean…”
“Heh, even more amazing how that turned out…bro.”
“Hey, I always knew that really belonged to you somehow.” The armored dragon pointed with his snout.
Dropping his gauntlets from his belt strap to the grassy patch, Steve got down on his back, lying next to his brother. The Flamedramon touched the collar with his three-fingered claws as the Crest of Courage keychain jingled softly against his scales.
“I'm sorry that I don't have, and will probably never have, the memories to share with you.” Steve said softly.
“That's all right. Nothing else matters…” Rain nuzzled his shoulder. “Except the fact that you're really back this time! Wait till I tell Magnamon and the others! They'll be…”
“No don't.” Steve calmly put a claw over his brother's snout.
“But why?”
“Some things are just better off forgotten.” The older dragon replied. “After all the trauma both of went through trying to accept and deny the situation, we should leave things the way they are.”
“Bro…”
“The old me is gone, so let's stick with me as I am now.” Steve patted the Raindramon's head. “Brothers at heart remember? But deep down inside, we both know the truth now. But just between the two of us, all right bro?”
“Definitely.” Rain sniffed. “Definitely bro.”
“Really hate to interrupt you two.” Sekata stepped into view. “But we've got a job to do.”
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
 
Behind the Dorugoramon were Zoe as XV-mon and Janet as Strikedramon, along with Aeromaru holding the large sack.
“Aero and the other managed to locate another Chaos Shard while we were away, most likely the last one we need to open the portal to CHAOS and Omegamon.” Zoe explained. “The shard's at the volcano, Akchenedash.”
“Jeez, isn't that the badest, most dangerous active volcano in the region?” Steve gasped.
“And we've got these too.” Janet held up a couple of dark colored crystal shards. “Managed to fish them out of Chaosdramon's head. Guess he was good for something after all.”
“It'll be tough I feel.” Aero voiced out. “We might have to descend down into that volcano. And there hasn't been good news from the regional weather reports.”
“Man! We're all gonna die.” Steve sprang up.
“Steve!” Everyone yelled.
“Hey, don't we like, get a break or something first?”
“Is that all you think about?” Janet sighed.
“This is the part where all the strategy guides would tell you to complete all the side quests and unfinished business before heading off into the final dungeon.” The Flamedramon quipped.
“Steve!”
“Hey, hey, it's true, isn't it?” Steve stepped back, waving his claws defensively.
“He's right.” Sekata noted. “We'll need to be in tip-top condition for this one.”
“Yeah, we'll be going after that Lucifer guy…the new Royal Knights' boss.” Janet agreed. “Somehow, I guess his cronies are going to be showing up too.”
“Is that Dynamo you're referring to?” Zoe asked.
“Please don't say his name.” Janet huffed.
“Possibly Evza too…” Aero said under his breath.
“Still, I don't understand why the Digital Gods or Omegamon just didn't tell us outright.” Janet scratched her head.
“About what?” Sekata queried.
“Duh, I think it's plain logic that the Lucemon is the one possessed by the Shade of CHAOS.” Janet said, raising her arms for emphasis. “Why else would he be so interested in having his troops seek out all these ancient artifacts? Because he was looking for a way to get to CHAOS of course!”
“Makes sense.” Zoe nodded.
“Still, it's just a theory.” Sekata agreed. “We don't know for sure.”
“But it's so bloody obvious!” Janet sighed. “It always turns out this way.”
“Only in novels in my opinion…”
“And you'll need to do something about this too.” Steve suddenly plodded Sekata's broken tail with a finger. And unfortunately in the wrong spot.
“RRRAAARRGGGHH!” The Dorugoramon spun round and immediately had his claws around Steve's neck.
“Whoa! Hey, cut it out!” Aero yelled as the others moved in to shake Sekata off.
The Ryuukonken slipped out of Sekata's sheath and landed in the grass patch with a thud. That caused the purple dragon to release Steve and glance towards the blade.
“Sorry.” Sekata muttered. “Just keep away from any broken bones I have. They do hurt, and in addition, I've gotten some limbs severed enough times to know.”
“My bad.” Steve nodded.
“Hey, I lost my whole original form if you guys remember.” Janet jabbed a claw at her Strikedramon chest. “I think I've had it worse than him.”
“Well, some crazed demon broke my back, then a bunch of Devas strung me up to some mind and body control device.” Steve folded his arms. “Don't think you've experienced bad till you've experienced that!”
“At least you were the only one who never got turned into a toy!” Janet snapped.
Soon, the group broke out in random shouts and reminiscing that left everyone laughing out loud.
“Well, we should be heading back now.” Sekata eventually spoke up. “Let's go home…”
While he had been referring to the base, the group knew that Sekata had a deeper meaning to his words.
This world…it was their home now, like it or not. But each one was still prepared to play his or her part in making the future of this world a better one.
For the sake of all they'd encountered and fought for. Each time they'd suffered and narrowly escaped certain doom.
Every battle won and lost.
And for their friends…some of whom had sacrificed themselves for their cause.
The time to end this was coming soon…very soon…
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
 
“Well, looks like it was worth leaking that bit about the Chaos Shard in the volcano to them.” Junon lowered her binoculars and wiped the sweat off the brow of her unarmored head. “I'm surprised you could actually come up with something like it.”
“Yeah well heh, it was more of Dynamo's.” Metallix scratched his head.
“Speaking of him, is that guy done moping yet?”
“Nope.” Metallix glanced down from the tree the two were setting on.
The group had chosen a cluster of trees on a hill, overlooking the shoreline that Sekata and his party were having their discussion. While Junon and Metallix were up spying on the unwary party, Dynamo was sitting below the tree and muttering quietly to himself.
“Will you snap out of it already?” Junon shouted at the Chaos Dukemon.
“Huh?” The black knight looked up. “Oh, sorry.”
“Have you heard anything I've said in the past hour?”
“What did you say?”
“Grrrr!” Junon banged her fists on the tree branch. “If you're still thinking about that dragoness, it should be plainly obvious that she doesn't like you. Why else do you think she let you fall seven stories in that old castle?”
“Arrgghhh…” Dynamo sighed with a teary look.
“Ouch, talk about being blatantly obvious.” Metallix sweatdropped.
“Well, we are bound to get into a scuffle sooner or later.” Junon continued. “We just need to lie low until they've retrieved the last Chaos Shard, then we move in and claim all three for ourselves. Since we've lost track of Evza, that's the only way we'll be able to get in and help Lord Lucifer.”
“No offense man, but do you think he really needs our help?” The Metal Garurumon X shrugged. “I mean, his bank account is still working and we're still getting paid. Plus, I think he would've waited for us if he really needed us, right?”
Junon said nothing, but fiddled with the helmet that she held in her arms.
“It's that duty sense you have, eh?”
“I lost my previous master because I wasn't able to help him.” Junon spoke after a moment's silence. “Lord Lucifer took me in…and I don't want to see it happen to him too…”
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
 
A humanoid figure walked through a dark tunnel that appeared to be made entirely out of a black colored void. The Ultimate level form of Lucemon trotted carefully down the `path', watching each and every direction with caution.
“Where are you?” He whispered. “The entity known only as CHAOS…”
It seemed like he'd spent far too much time wandering through this strange dimension. Existing between the worlds, both time and logic had little significance here.
Lucifer kept one hand on the hilt of his sword. All his preparations, years of planning and research…it all came down to this. And he wasn't about to let it all slip away.
CHAOS should've been hungry….searching for a host that would help it to regenerate and recover. But why? It seemed almost as if it were avoiding him…and hiding.
Could it be that it doesn't want me? Lucifer thought. That could explain why I've spent so long in here and yet accomplished nothing. However, CHAOS is an entity that depends on its host. Hmmm…could it possibly be that CHAOS has already…
Too caught up in his musings, the fallen angel failed to notice a swarm of black tentacles creeping up behind him. That was until they made contact, forcing Lucifer to draw his weapon.
All at once, he was hacking, slashing and defending.
Then, another voice came into his mind. Actually, it wasn't so much of a voice, more like an emotion somehow transmitted into `words'. While the actual `words' were lost to the fray of the battle, their meaning was all too clear.
YOU are NOT the one we seek…
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
 
As the rest of the party started walking back to base, Sekata knelt over to retrieve the Ryuukonken.
Staring into its shiny blade reminded him about a lot of things, all related in one way or another to his arch nemesis.
AncientGreymon…
The ancient dragon had been relatively quiet throughout their latest adventure. But a predator lying in wait was often licking their wounds and waiting for a perfect opportunity to strike. And Sekata certainly knew the feeling.
Although the Dorugoramon had felt this way several times, Sekata somehow knew that their time was coming. He had managed to avoid using the powers of the two Spirits of Fire, but for how long?
Perhaps it was AncientGreymon simply letting him know.
One thing was certain though…only one of them would be waking away from that confrontation….