Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Dragon Morphs: A Digimorphs Tale ❯ The Hardest Burden to Bear ( Chapter 51 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Digimon / Digital Monsters and all related trademarks belong to Bandai. The story, its original contents and ideas, and any original characters belong to the author and cannot be used or reprinted without the author's permission.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
The Hardest Burden to Bear
By nightdragon0
 
 
 
Why was I so weak-willed? I could've ended everything there! The thoughts welled up in Sekata's mind.
A sudden blast of flames brought him back to reality as the Dorugoramon howled in pain. He found himself swiping his claws about blindly as he gagged on the smoke. Of course, since all his claws went through was thin air, Sekata misjudged the distance and slammed into the wall.
Pounding the stone in frustration, Sekata pushed off and spiraled into his descent again. Despite the direction that gravity was pulling him in was downwards, every instinct in his body screamed for him to go up.
Back up to the surface, back up to safety. But no, he couldn't leave….
Then, Sekata felt something…a familiar aura surrounding his body. Somewhere along the line, he had involuntarily switched into his Vritramon form. It was probably what was still keeping him going.
However, the dragon was also drawing on a power he'd sworn never to use again. And in the corner of his eye, the reading on his D-Dragon's screen confirmed this.
91 percent…
Tapping further into the power of the two Legendary Spirits, Sekata shielded himself from the surrounding volcanic fires and continued on. But the intensity…it was too much!
92 percent…
On the verge of passing out, Sekata's claws fumbled about and came to rest upon the hilt of the Ryuukonken. The `Dragon Soul Sword' and the very one AncientGreymon had given him when he'd signed that deal so long ago.
Knock yourself out now and both of you die. AncientGreymon's thoughts echoed in the dragon's mind. Or perhaps it was merely him imagining the ancient warrior's voice. But maybe, just maybe you still have a chance. Hahahaha, if you're willing to take it that is…
93 percent…
“NO! NNOO!” Sekata roared to no one in particular. “NNNNNOOOOO!”
94 percent…
You don't have much of a choice kid. The ominous voice repeated.
He….he could be… Sekata's mind howled in rage.
Through some shear force of willpower, Sekata gripped the hilt and drew the Ryuukonken from the sheath between his wings. And around his other claw, a blue ring of Digicode began to glow.
No… don't make me do this… Sekata silently pleaded.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
 
Flashback…
Day 2
“None of those two are the dragons in the carvings.” The voice whispered from behind him.
“Nah, I never said that. But those are his friends.” Dynamo replied. “The one you're looking for is probably out of town at the moment.”
“So he is sure to return for them?”
“I'd expect him to.”
“Good. We need to know if he really is the one depicted in our local legends.”
Silently, Dynamo held up a photograph in his claws. Pictured on it was a series of carvings that he'd taken back in the ancient castle. These were mostly faded and indecipherable, but among the visible ones was the image of a castle with two dragon-like shapes battling over its roof.
Another image showed a tornado with all the wind swirls marked around it. A final carving was that of a large circle with another two dragons fighting within. A white one was standing over a purple one with a sword pierced through its opponent.
It was dumb luck that he'd come into town alone and had suddenly remembered to develop the images. Everything had been photographed months back as he'd made the point to return to the ancient castle with his companions. However, the pictures had been forgotten soon after and left sitting in his camera.
The photographs coming out of the printing machine had aroused curious glances from the other Digimon in the studio, but the robed humanoid figure known as Wisemon had taken a great interest in them. An Ultimate level Digimon, he was dressed in a red Arabic-style full body robe with a white hood over his head. It hid all of his facial features, except for the eyes, which gave off an eerie yellowish glow.
“What about those two?” Dynamo indicated in the direction that Steve and Janet had gone off in.
“We'll keep a careful watch on them for now.” Wisemon decided, before continuing. “I have a couple of friends who would also be very keen to get their hands on your data. These images will prove a very valuable addition to our research.”
“Research?” Dynamo wondered.
“That is none of your business outsider.” The robed Digimon waved a hand. “Here, this is the payment for a copy of your data. I trust that it is enough to satisfy your tastes?”
“Pretty much.” Dynamo juggled the pouch that was tossed to him before taking a look inside. His eyes widened at the sight of the gold coins and precious gems within. “This is more than I earn in a few months!”
“Good then, our deal is done.” Wisemon pointed to a door at the back of the room. “This door will lead you up into a back alley. Follow the main street from there and it'll lead you out of town.”
“Yeah, I got it.” The Guilmon turned to leave, but hesitated for a moment. “Just one question.”
“Hmm?”
“If they are the ones you're looking for, what are you going to do with them?”
“That is nothing you are required to know either.” Came the reply. “I am treating you graciously for the data you've provided, but that cannot be extended if you choose to meddle in our affairs.”
“Humph, fine.” Dynamo huffed. “See ya around then.”
The dino made his way out the door and along Wisemon's designated path. However, once he was out on the street and sure he wasn't being watched, Dynamo whipped out his communicator.
“Hey, erm, Junon?” Dynamo whispered. “I think we have a bit of a problem…”
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
 
“Whew…you satisfied now?” Steve panted.
“Yeah…” Janet reluctantly admitted. “Looks like we lost him.”
Dripping with sweat and entirely out of breath, the two had finally stopped and were resting against a wall. A small drinks stand was located nearby, with a brown bird-like Hawkmon perched on the counter.
Steve bought a couple of cans and joined Janet in gulping them down.
“We really should've gone with Sekata.” Steve muttered.
“I know, all right?” His Strikedramon companion replied. “You don't have to keep reminding me about it.”
“I'm just stating a fact.”
“Grrr…shut up.”
Licking off the last drops of drink, Steve leaned back against the wall and crushed the empty can in his claws.
“Say, what is it between you and him anyway?” The Flamedramon quickly asked.
“Who?”
“You know? Dynamo…”
“Grrr…”
“Eep! Don't kill me!” Steve held up his arms defensively.
“Why ask me this now?” Janet huffed.
“Well, it's kinda obvious that he has…well this thing for you.”
“For some entirely deranged reason, he does. But it's not mutual, trust me.” The purple dragoness folded her arms. “But it doesn't concern you.”
“Erm…well besides the fact that he's tried to kill you a couple of times?”
“Intentionally and unintentionally? Or maybe both. Half the time, that scatter-brain doesn't even know what's going on.” Janet growled.
“Love has a tendency of working both ways.” Steve whispered.
“What?”
“Erm, nothing!”
“I ask again, how come you're asking me this now?”
`Well, I…erm…you see, I…” Steve staggered.
“Just spit it out already!” Janet grabbed the end of his snout and tugged hard.
Steve grunted out something indecipherable, mainly because Janet was pulling his nose. However, the female suddenly stopped and turned towards an approaching shadow… Sealsdramon.
“Excuse me, but I'll have to ask you two to come with me.” The black dragon said calmly.
Janet could practically sense the malice in this character and glared him in the eye. She noted too that the streets around them were suddenly deserted.
“And if we don't want to?” She asked.
“Then I'll have to ask nicely again.”
The Strikedramon shot a quick look to Steve, who returned it with a nod of confirmation.
“In that case…” Janet faced Sealsdramon. “My answer is….RRAAARRR!”
Steve spun around and hurled his can, smacking Sleipmon right between the eyes as the centaur emerged from a nearby building. Janet ploughed into Sealsdramon with her shoulder and knocked him to the ground before breaking into a mad dash down the street.
At the next T-junction, the two ran into Wisemon, who hurled a glowing red ball of energy at them. The dragons skidded to a halt and turned down the other path as the explosion stirred up a large cloud of dust.
“Man, what did we do to piss `em off?” Steve panted.
“You're asking me?” Janet called back. “Man, I knew I had a bad feeling about this place! Get ready to switch to a flying form. We've got to get out of here and warn…”
WHAM! Sealsdramon abruptly leapt off a nearby roof and knocked Janet to the ground. Snarling, Steve lashed out with his claws. However, the black dragon was faster and jumped to the side.
The Flamedramon stumbled on Janet's legs and hit the ground hard. Janet pretty much ignored him and sprang to her feet, slashing at Sealsdramon. Fast as she was, her opponent was quicker and jumped up against the wall.
Using a pair of daggers, he jabbed them into the stone and clung there.
“Commandos VS the SEALS.” He laughed. “You don't stand a chance!”
“Oh yeah?” Janet growled. “Put some bite into your bark!”
“Delighted to oblige.” Sealsdramon grinned, tossing a fistful of small darts.
Janet avoided the storm with a back flip and came charging forward the moment her feet were on the ground. Even as Sealsdramon dropped down from the wall, he was able to duck under Janet's tail lash and swing his elbow.
That literally knocked the wind out of Janet's stomach as she stumbled backwards.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
 
Meanwhile, Steve rolled onto his back, groaning, and suddenly found a pair of hooves pinning his arms down. That was accompanied by a crossbow being jabbed into his forehead.
“Humph.” Sleipmon readied the trigger. “No challenge at all.”
“Stop! Don't fire you fool!” Wisemon shouted, stepping onto the scene. “We need them alive if we're to bait their friends here.”
“Oh, will you…”
Steve took advantage of the distraction and sank his fangs into the unarmored section of Sleipmon's leg.
Yuck! Jeez! Where has this guy been walking? His mind stung as an odd taste filled the fire dragon's mouth.
When the centaur reared up in surprise, Steve raised both legs and knocked the larger Digimon away. In the same motion, he grabbed the crossbow from the off-balanced Sleipmon and rolled to the side.
“Ha! Look who's talking now!” Steve grinned, pointing the weapon triumphantly at Wisemon.
“Ahem.” The robed figure grunted, gesturing towards the floor.
Steve's grin quickly faded as he realized the crossbow was empty and its only arrow lying on the ground.
“CRAP!”
Sleipmon was getting back to his feet by this time with a very annoyed look on his face. Thinking fast, Steve threw the heavy crossbow at Wisemon, who knocked it away.
And unfortunately, into a stack of crates which unceremoniously toppled down onto the two.
“Opps.” Steve chuckled. “Hey Jan!”
The Strikedramon was throwing random punches at Sealsdramon, who nimbly sidestepped each one. Upon hearing Steve's call, a sneaky grin crossed his face. The soldier stepped backwards, forcing Janet to push her body further in order to hit him.
And in a fit of rage, she lunged forward with full force.
Smirking, Sealsdramon ducked…leaving the dragoness' fist to deck Steve instead.
WHAM!
“Ouch…jeezz…” Steve moaned before hitting the ground with swirls in his eyes.
“Lady, you could sure use some anger management.” Sealsdramon laughed.
“Grrr…” Janet whirled around. “I'll show you who needs…rrarrrggghhh!”
Sealsdramon had swung a hidden stun rod against her stomach. Its electrical current continued to surge through her body as the Strikedramon collapsed, convulsing.
The last thing Janet remembered was looking up into the faces of Sealsdramon, Sleipmon and Wisemon before darkness overtook her vision.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
 
Day 3, Early Morning
“I'm sorry about that guys.” Sekata muttered as he trudged unhappily down the path. Now back to his Dorugoramon form, Sekata walked alongside Zoe and Aero as they returned to the town.
“As long as you're all right.” Zoe replied, putting an arm around his waist. “I'm sorry, we shouldn't have forced you to do that.”
“No, this time the fault is mine.”
“We shouldn't be taking the time to start blaming each other.” Aero cut in. “Unfortunately, we lost almost all our equipment. I sent Katsu a message and he promise to scrounge up some new stuff. However, I have no idea how long it'll take.”
“He'll figure something out.” Zoe nodded. “I'm sure of it.”
“I wish I shared your optimism Zoe…” Sekata muttered. “And we were so close too. Now we're no longer equipped to go back down.”
“Patience is the mother of all virtues Sekata.” Aero spoke.
“In other words, we'll think of something eventually.” Zoe nodded. “How about we just get some rest first?”
“Sounds good to me.” Sekata agreed. “I'm completely drained.”
Having spent most of the night recovering from the volcano's ordeal, the group had finally gathered up enough strength to return to the village, arriving in the early hours of the morning. They still had to meet up with Steve and Janet to discuss their next course of action.
As expected, the streets were empty, although a few houses here and there still had their windows lit up.
“No one out here.” Aero noted. “Of course, it is the middle of the night.”
“Guys, do you hear that?” Zoe asked as they moved onto the tiled road.
It was the odd, combined murmuring of a crowd, somewhere further into the town. The trio followed their ears, eventually arriving at the town square. An astonishingly large crowd was gathered at the area behind the fountain.
“What's going on?” Sekata wondered, craning his neck.
“Look! There he is!” A voice called from the crowd.
Immediately, all the Digimon present turned towards Sekata and his companions.
“What the hell?” Sekata muttered in disbelief, involuntarily backing away from the seemingly angry mob.
Reacting on instinct, the dragon jerked his wing to the side upon hearing a metallic click. He felt a gust of wind rush past as a dagger narrowly missed piercing the bone.
“Should've taken our advice earlier, stranger.” Sealsdramon taunted, perched casually on a roof.
“Why you!” The Dorugoramon growled.
“This isn't the time for that!” Aero urged. “We've got to get out of here!”
“Oh I wouldn't think so.” Sealsdramon gestured.
The crowd had moved away from the point they'd been converged upon earlier. And it left Sekata and the others staring in horror.
Strung up to some sort of medieval torture devices were the limp forms of Steve and Janet. Both were hanging upright, with their heads and wrists sticking out through a flat, parallel slab of metal. Additional clamps had also been placed around their wrists and necks, with their jaws muzzled shut.
Going downwards was the `body' of the T-shaped structure, which had a hole in its base to fasten their tails. At that base was a similar metal slab to the top, only that it was to help to secure the chains around their ankles instead. Various straps were also fastened around their waists and knees, allowing almost no movement if either had been conscious.
But unconscious or dead, there was no way to tell.
As enraged as Sekata felt, he quickly realized that the distraction had cost him. Aero, Zoe and himself were now surrounded by the mob of Digimon.
At least they're not waving flaming torches and pitchforks at me. Sekata thought dryly.
“Hey!”
All heads turned up to the source of the voice. An armored figure in black and gray, valiantly shoving his flapping black cape out of the way. It as Dynamo, in his Mega level Chaos Dukemon form.
“You…” Zoe gasped.
“Run! Now!” Dynamo shouted, tossing a handful of grenades into the crowd. Each one exploded in a huge cloud of smoke, creating an instantaneous source of chaos.
“No! Get that one!” Sealsdramon could be heard yelling. “That one!”
Zoe coughed on the smoke and suddenly felt Aero grab her arm. He dragged Zoe down a small street, with several of the townsfolk hot on their heels. Unfortunately, he was unaware that Sekata was nowhere nearby.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
 
“Rarrggh!” The moment the smoke burst out, Sekata immediately ploughed his way through the confused crowd.
“Steve! Jan!”
The Dorugoramon felt so stupid. He should've thought of contacting the pair earlier. Or maybe he should've waited for them instead. He could've warned them about Sealsdramon and his buddy behaving suspiciously.
But no, he'd been too focused on the Chaos Shard instead. And after his blotched up attempt at the volcano, Zoe and Aero had been too busy tending to him to think about Steve or Janet.
Yet another burden rested on his shoulders. Sekata felt so sick and tired of everything.
In the midst of his thoughts, Sekata ran into the centaur Sleipmon, who raised his front legs and shot a fierce kick into his face. Sekata's back hit the ground hard, but he quickly rolled away as the centaur stomped down.
Taking advantage of the missed attack, Sekata swung his barbed tail twice, both times catching Sleipmon on his armored shoulder. Sealsdramon suddenly dropped in from above, landing on Sekata's back and pinning his wings to the ground. However, Sekata was strong enough to heave up and shove the soldier off.
So, the struggle continued…
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
 
“Sekata's not here.” Zoe panted.
“He'll have to take care of himself for now.” Aero called back. “Hopefully he's got the common sense to do that.”
“But the others…”
“We'll have to save ourselves before we can save them! Whoa!”
The street in front of them was suddenly blocked by several of the locals, forcing the two to detour down another path. Aero and Zoe were running by an alley when a pair of huge hands suddenly reached out and dragged them in.
With their jaws firmly held shut, all the pair could manage was a few muffled grunts.
“Shhh!” Whispered a familiar voice. “I'm here to help.”
It was Blappa, the Zudomon blacksmith, who turned his back towards the street and shoved the two further down the alley.
“Hey guys, in here!” Ace the Betamon stuck his head out of a nearby dumpster.
“Are you trying to choke us?” Aero panted as Blappa released his grip. The massive Digimon obviously wasn't a very good judge of his own strength.
“Give us a bit to breath first!” Zoe added in.
“No time! Hide!” Blappa urged.
Without much of an alternative, the dragons shoved themselves into the dumpster and pulled the lid shut. Huddled in the damp stinking darkness, Aero and Zoe tried their best to control their panting. Both for the sake of keeping their noise level to a minimum and trying not to take in whatever foul smells were in the trash.
“Over there!” Blappa could be heard shouting from the outside. “I think they went that way!”
The rambunctious clattering of feet and shouting soon followed as the crowd dashed past. Several tense moments of silence followed before Blappa opened the lid.
“You two all right?” He whispered.
“Yeah, aside from the smell and the fact that we almost suffocated inside a dumpster.” Zoe moaned sarcastically.
“It's not that bad.” Ace grinned.
“Why is it that you're helping us?” Aero asked. “And what's going on here? Why's the whole town suddenly after us?”
“Well, I owe you guys for saving my grandson.” Blappa scratched his chin. “That's reason enough for me.”
“But won't you be in trouble if…”
“That's why we should discuss this back at my place.” The blacksmith hushed him with a wave of his finger. “Ace will show you the way, and I'll catch up later. Hurry now, you don't want to be caught out here.”
With that, the Zudomon hurried out onto the street, quickly disappearing from view.
“This way you two.” Ace scampered to a pile of cardboard boxes at the wall and pushed them aside, revealing a relatively large hole in the wall.
“Come on, you old people aren't afraid, aren't you?”
“Old?” Aero muttered. “Excuse me young man! You'd better watch that mouth of yours…”
However, Ace was already gone, crawling through the hole with a soft giggle.
Zoe and Aero glanced at each other, silently exchanging thoughts. At least following the kid was a whole lot better that going up against the angry mob.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
 
Under the cover of his smoke grenade, Dynamo dashed up to where Janet and Steve were hung up. He ripped the muzzles off both of them, which was enough to stir Janet out of her daze.
“Oww….huh? Wah…what's going on?” She blurted out. “You! What the heck are you doing here?”
“I've come to rescue you princess.” Dynamo replied. “You can thank me later, but I…”
WHAM!
A Holsmon (Halsemon) suddenly came flying through the air. The armored form of a Hawkmon with the Digimetal of Love, it somewhat resembled a brown griffin with a metallic helmet. It was that helmet that slammed into the back of Dynamo's neck and sent the black knight smashing into a wall.
Uttering a long groan, Dynamo slid down onto the floor with a dull thud.
“Well nice job!” Janet screeched. “I'd have better luck being rescued by an onion!”
The growls and roars quickly turned her attention to Sekata, who was fighting off a second Holsmon and a Silphymon. The latter of which was a bird-like humanoid, with a masked face, a white upper body, brown feathered legs and taloned feet. Although he didn't have wings, Silphymon had a set of tail feathers at his rear and a set of five-fingered claws for hands.
Sekata easily dodged a lunge from the Holsmon and kicked him aside. A move similar to that one had been the source of Dynamo's misfortune moments earlier.
“Top Gun!” Silphymon gathered up a wave of pink energy and fired it into Sekata's body.
While Sekata reared back from the shock, a Seadramon wrapped its serpent-like body around his chest and neck. Choking and gasping, Sekata struggled against the coils, but Sleipmon and Sealsdramon were upon him by this time.
There were just too many enemies for him to fight off in his exhausted state. Janet too was screaming out something….but Sekata wasn't able to catch anything before he was pounded into submission.
Sealsdramon's stun rod was out again, jabbed into Sekata's battered form to make sure he was out.
“That's enough.” Wisemon stepped forward, the crowd parting to give him way. “Get him secured before he wakes up, and bring him down to my place.”
“How about the two blue dragons?” Sealsdramon asked. “Reports have come back that they've given us the slip.”
“They're not a big concern, just as long as they don't interfere.” The robed wizard decided. “Just keep a lookout and apprehend them if necessary.”
Sleipmon and Sealsdramon dragged Sekata's unconscious form away while the general crowd started to disperse as well.
“Hey! Hey! What about us?” Janet roared, struggling against her restraints.
“You'll be hanging out here for a while.” Sealsdramon turned his head. “Oh, and keep your chin up.”
“Grrr! Rarrrggghhh!” The Strikedramon wiggled in vain.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
 
Day 3, Evening
“Uughhh…” Sekata awoke to an odd sensation.
It felt strangely cold, and…wet. A series of bubbles then floated past, causing Sekata's eyes to snap open. The dragon went into a panicked frenzy, threshing his body around wildly.
As the initial stages of panic passed, Sekata realized that he wasn't drowning and felt an oxygen mask around his face and snout. It seemed that he was trapped inside a transparent tank of water, placed in some dark room. Clamps held his legs and tail to the base of the tank while Sekata found his claws chained together around his back, thus restricting the movement of his wings.
Nevertheless, Sekata tested the bonds with all his might and found that they held tightly. He would not be going anywhere for a while. Even his flames would be useless underwater.
“I hope that you'll get used to your new surroundings.” Sealsdramon stepped into his view, calmly pressing his face against the outside glass wall of the tank.
His breathing device apparently had a two-way microphone installed into it, allowing him to talk to the people outside the tank and vice-versa.
“Grrr…” Sekata snarled furiously.
Sealsdramon flipped a switch on the outside, suddenly cutting off Sekata's air supply. Sekata struggled and screeched until he was literally blue in the face before Sealsdramon reopened the flow of oxygen.
“There, perhaps that'll make you a bit more willing to co-operate with us.” The black dragon chuckled.
“What have you done with my friends?” Sekata demanded.
“Oh, they're all not harmed if you're wondering.” Sealsdramon replied. “It's you that we're really interested in.”
“In me?” Sekata asked.
“I'm very sure you're already familiar with the terms of CHAOS and all.” The robe wizard, Wisemon, walked into view, accompanied by Sleipmon. “But how rude, allow me to introduce myself. I am called Wisemon. Along with my two cohorts here, we are the descendents of the priests and templars who've watched over the sacred volcano Akchenedash for generations.”
“Hmm…”
“You don't sound very convinced.” Wisemon chuckled. “Well allow me to refresh your memory a little. CHAOS, thought of as a collection of `energy', dark emotions, desires and lost souls. In the past, many have been corrupted by it, and an equal number have risen to the challenge of destroying it. They've come close, but never truly succeeded in destroying the CHAOS in its own dimension between the many worlds.”
“Our ancestors were greatly involved in this prophecy, and built this town here. Close to the volcano that the chosen ones would cross one day.” Sealsdramon continued, his tone suddenly having changed to a more serious one. “And so, those like us await the coming of the chosen ones. Or so the old prophecy goes.”
Quite true, for Zoe and Janet had once met a Seraphimon who'd told them this very tale.
“But you say that as if there is more.” Sekata remarked.
“Our recent research uncovered a hidden set of notes.” Wisemon nodded. “Telling of another…one chosen by CHAOS. One that would work against the others, and bring destruction instead. However, the outcome was never prophesized and remains to be decided.”
“And what does this have to do with me?”
“You needn't act ignorant, we already suspect who you are.” Wisemon held up Sekata's D-Dragon. “What we are interested to know, is about these.”
The robed figure placed the photographs he'd gotten from Dynamo against the tank's glass wall. Sekata carefully stared at each one. From the castle with the two dragons battling over its roof, the images of the tornado and a white dragon was standing over the purple one with a sword pierced through its opponent.
Two of the three images had the same dragon in it…one that, from the design of the wings, could almost have been…
No, it couldn't be. Sekata told himself. I'm jumping to conclusions. A lot of other dragons have similar wing designs. It's too hard to tell…
“Don't know anything, huh?” Sealsdramon said with a disappointed tone.
“Odd…I sense some strange power source within this.” Wisemon turned Sekata's D-Dragon in his hands.
Oh no! Did he… Sekata glanced frantically around and spotted the Ryuukonken propped up against a wall. Whew, so it isn't AncientGreymon's power that he's sensing. But then, what is it?
“Something new?” The normally silent Sleipmon muttered.
“Merits further investigation.” Wisemon raised the D-Dragon and placed his hands on top of it.
The Digivice began to glow with a deep purple light. As Sekata watched, the light grew brighter and brighter.
Suddenly, a bright flash emitted that caused Wisemon to scream out loud. His companions jumped back in shock, but the ray of light that emerged only swirled around them…and went right for Sekata instead.
The dragon roared as the beam forced itself through the glass and into his chest. And he roared for a long time, with his eyes wide in horror.
Sealsdramon and Sleipmon uncovered their heads once the lights were gone to see a moaning Wisemon unconscious on the ground and Sekata stumped back in the tank he was locked in. The Dorugoramon's eyes were wide as his body went into violent convulsions.
Eventually, Sekata's body fell limp and stopped moving. However, his eyes remained open with their pupils dilated, as if in some kind of trance. Both Sealsdramon and Sleipmon were too stunned to do anything but stare blankly from the unconscious Wisemon, to Sekata and to each other.
“What the hell?” Sealsdramon finally managed.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
 
Day 3, Night
“Achoo!” Zoe sneezed, wrapping the blanket tightly around herself.
Seated at the fireplace next to her, Aero shivered and sipped from a cup of hot drink. Outside, the lightning could be seen flashing as the rain and wind beat wildly against the windows of the blacksmith's shop.
“Erm, I guess I shouldn't have led you guys all the way through the sewers.” Ace muttered nervously, curled up on a chair.
“Yeah, we aren't exactly water-types like you.” Aero looked up. “But seemed like it was the best way to lay low, especially with the entire town searching for us.”
“And you should be safe enough here.” Blappa lumbered over and placed another hot kettle down on the mat.
“We really appreciate all the help.” Zoe managed a smile, although she too was shivering from the cold.
“They say you guys were messing around with the volcano.” Blappa took a seat beside the two. “That true?”
“Well…” Zoe looked away.
“Relax, if I was going to turn you in, I would've done so already.” Blappa assured. “Besides, I don't really believe in the sacred volcano and all that stuff. An old fellow like me just doesn't have the energy anymore.”
“We've got to go back for the others.” Aero spoke up. “Steve, Jan…and wherever Sekata is. But, damn, I just feel so exhausted right now.”
“You've barely had any rest, that's why.” Blappa put a hand on his shoulder. “I know you're worried about your friends, but you need to take care of yourselves too.”
“They may not be outside searching for us, but it doesn't mean that they're not on alert.” Zoe reminded the Aero V-dramon.
With the three deeply engrossed in their conversation, Ace scampered off his chair unnoticed and walked over to the back door. As silently as he could, Ace slipped out into the pouring rain and moved under the shadows.
“I'll go find your friends.” The Betamon whispered. “Just wait for me!”
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
 
“Aarrrggghh! Hey! Somebody out there?” Steve screamed. “Hey! Let me out of here! Hey! Hello?”
“Will you mind shutting up?” Janet snapped from his left side. “You've been doing nothing but complaining for the past hour!”
“Yeah, but…”
DRIP! DRIP! A couple of raindrops leaked from the warehouse's ceiling and onto Steve's head.
“Grrr! This is driving me crazy!”
“At least they moved us out of the thunderstorm.” Janet sighed.
The pair was still strapped to the T-shaped torture devices, only that they'd been moved from the open town square to the inside of a dark, dingy warehouse.
However, they now had another `companion'…Dynamo, who'd been strung up to a similar structure nearby. A part of Janet felt relieved that the Chaos Dukemon was still unconscious for the moment.
“Oohh! My wrists are sore, my neck is strained…garrggh! My whole body's aching!” Steve continued moaning. “Plus, I can barely move a muscle…urgh! Hey!”
Steve was suddenly cut off by a hard blow to his stomach. He glanced down in surprise to see Janet triumphantly raising her right leg and wiggling her toes.
“Hey, how did you…”
“Managed to wiggle it out while you were busy moping.” Janet grinned. “Sekata's earlier rescue attempt must've loosened the straps somehow.”
“Great, but what do you plan to do?” Steve shot back. “Untie us with your foot?”
“Well at least I've gotten somewhere!” Janet growled. “I don't see you contributing!”
“Oh really? Well just look down here.” Steve wiggled his left thigh, which was covered by a fire-patterned plate of armor. “I've got a fusion cutter hidden inside.”
A fusion cutter was basically a small, metal rod from which a superheated blade could be extended. It was more of a craftsman's tool, used to cut through most metals, but had also been adapted for more general usages.
“I take back everything I just said.” Janet cried happily. “You're a miracle worker Steve!”
“Aw hehe!” The Flamedramon chuckled, motioning to the pieces of armor over his claws. “You should see what I have in my gauntlets.”
“And what do you have in there?”
“Erm, when I'm not wearing them that is!” He nervously replied. “Just reach for the fusion cutter and get us out.”
“Ok…” The Strikedramon grunted, stretching her leg out. “Ugh, I can't move my neck enough to see properly. You'll have to guide me.”
“All right, just…urgh! Jan!” Steve gasped as Janet accidentally kicked him in the side. “Be careful!”
“Sorry!”
“Well, forward a bit.” Steve instructed. “Yeah, that's good. Now just a bit lower, and…yup, now right a bit.”
“Like this?” Janet felt her foot against what she assumed was his stomach area.
“Hey! That tickles!” The fire dragon giggled. “Down…right…hehe! Stop it!”
“Oh shut up and hold still!”
“No Jan! Not there!”
Too late, Janet felt something odd beneath her talons. It seemed like a more lightly scaled part of his stomach…with a strange bulge beneath.
“Erm…Jan?” Steve muttered nervously. “You're foot's on…well…my….you know? Guy's area?”
“Oh for fu…” Janet instantly went red in the face.
WHAM!
“Guarrgghh! What was that for?” Steve gawked, reeling back from the shock.
Dragons, like many reptiles, had several protective folds of skin covering their more `sensitive' gender specific organs instead of having external ones. However, it didn't mean that the blow was fully absorbed.
“That was for embarrassing me.” The Strikedramon snarled furiously.
“What? Hey you were the one who started it!”
“Steve, let me make this clear to you. If you dare mention this to anyone at all…I am going to make sure I castrate that dragon male-hood of yours myself!”
“Eep…yes madam!”
“Now, you'd better direct me properly this time!”
“Ok! Ok! It's just a little to the left now. You had your foot too high up just now.”
This time, Janet felt the piece of leg armor beneath her foot and reached down with her toes.
“Got it!” Janet felt the metal rod and flipped it upwards, catching it in her right claw.
Although the movement of her wrist was limited, it was enough to flick the fusion cutter on and position it to properly cut through the bonds.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
 
“Hey Junon, we've been out here for practically a day!” Metallix dragged his feet along the rocky path. “Can't we go back?”
“No, I definitely picked up Lord Lucifer's signal around here.” Junon tugged his arm, holding up an electronic communicator.
The area around the volcano was an entire mountain range, with dozens of valleys and pathways leading off in many different directions. Junon and Metallix were wandering around one of the valleys below, not too far off from the volcano Akchenedash.
Of course, it wasn't an easy task making their way by flashlight, but Junon had stubbornly insisted on carrying on. The earlier thunderstorm had forced the pair to take cover in a nearby cavern, only emerging now as the storm had slowed to a drizzle.
“How about Dynamo's then?” Metallix asked.
“I couldn't get all of his babbling, but he said he had to do something and shut off his communicator after that.” Junon replied. “I haven't been able to contact him since then.”
“Isn't that strange?”
“Not for that clown at least. Besides, I don't have time to be babysitting him when there are more important things to…huh?”
A burst of static came over the communicator, causing both knight and wolf to pause and listen closely.
Hiss….n…n…ood. Hiss!” The voice on the other end cried.
“Is that…” Metallix gasped.
“Sir? Is that you?” Junon shook the communicator. “Please respond!”
Several tense moments followed as nothing but static came over the transmission. However, a distinguishable voice finally came over the speakers.
“Not…hiss…good.” Lucifer whispered, with a distinctive tone of fear in his voice. “I've…failed…”
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
 
“Now that's much better.” Steve stretched his cramped arms and legs, whipping his tail about in joy.
“I have no argument in that.” Janet nodded, making similar stretches.
The dragons threw aside the last of the chains and quickly glanced around the dark warehouse. And frankly, there wasn't much to see other than shelves and boxes stacked up in the corners.
“We'd better get out of here quick.” Janet suggested. “Seems that they haven't posted anyone to watch us, but we'd better not push our luck.”
“And where do you suggest we go?” Steve shrugged. “Strolling out into the middle of town is certainly out of the question.”
“Hey guys!”
A metal panel suddenly fell, clattering noisily against the ground. Steve and Janet jerked their heads up to see an air vent on the wall…and a Betamon waving to them.
“Ace!” The pair gasped in unison.
“I came to rescue you.” Ace called. “Or at least, find out where you were so your friends could rescue you.”
“Any help is appreciated kiddo!” Steve grinned. “I hope that air vent of yours leads us outside!”
“That and better! Zoe and Aero are hiding out at my grandpa's place. And I found your big scary dragon friend too.”
“You mean Sekata?”
“Yeah him! He's in the basement of fortune teller's shrine.”
“Great, maybe we can rescue Sekata and then meet up with Zoe and Aero.” Steve suggested.
“Provided we are able to do that without causing a huge racket.” Janet reminded him.
“We'll think of something.” Steve nodded as he begun to stack up some boxes in order to reach the air vent. “By the way, what about him?”
“Who?”
“Him.” Steve pointed towards Dynamo, who was still tied to the T-shaped structure.
“So? What about him?” Janet snapped.
“You're just going to leave him?”
“And what's the problem with that?”
“Well, nothing. It's just that…”
“Oh, I guess I should do something.” Janet walked over to Dynamo's position, grabbing something from a nearby box that Steve couldn't make out.
“Urghh…oww….” Dynamo moaned as Janet approached and suddenly looked up. “Hey princess…”
“You can `hey' yourself!” The Strikedramon snarled, bringing up the metallic object in her claws.
WHAM!
“Ugh…” Dynamo barely even knew what'd hit him before he was out cold again.
Satisfied, Janet tossed the dented frying pan away and strode back to Steve and Ace.
“Now I'm done. So come on, let's go find Sekata.”
Steve and Ace stared at each other, with large sweatdrops appearing on their foreheads.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
 
“Sekata? Hey Sekata!”
Who? That voice seemed so familiar.
“Hey Sekata! Are you awake? It's me Steve!”
The Dorugoramon had to blink several times to clear his vision, with the water in his tank adding to the frustration. When he could finally see however, Sekata found his Flamedramon companion's face pressed against the glass wall of his prison.
“Finally, you're up!” Steve gasped. “And I thought what they did to Jan and me was bad!”
“Shh! Keep it down!” Janet dropped in from an air vent located on the wall and quickly examined the room. Upon sensing no danger, the commando dragon moved towards the single door and pushed it shut.
“Sorry!” Steve whispered. “Hey Sekata, I'll have you out of that fish tank as soon as I figure out the controls.”
“Steve…” Sekata groaned through the mouthpiece within his breathing apparatus.
Despite its small size, everything had seemed so peaceful within his glass prison. Sekata could vaguely remember losing consciousness, and falling into a deep sleep soon after…
“No…no…” The Dorugoramon blurted out. “No….don't! Get away from me!”
“Sekata! Not so loud!” Steve urged. “You'll…”
“NO! RRRRAAARRRGGGHH!” Sekata roared, threshing about. “Stay away from me!”
“Hey, what's going on there?” Janet hissed.
“Calm down man!” Steve waved his arms about in panic.
“Stay away! RRAARRR! Stay away from me! I'm dangerous!”
“Get a hold of yourself and work with me here!” Steve pleaded. “If you keep making a racket like that you'll…”
“CHAOS…no….the volcano…no I can't!” Sekata's babbling and random struggling continued nevertheless. “I can't be near! Keep them away! Stay away!”
“Hey, who's there?” A voice recognizable as Sealsdramons' came from the outside.
“Crap, we've got company!” Janet slammed the door and latched it. Desperately, she pulled a bookshelf over and shoved it against the door in an attempt to hold it shut.
“RAARRR! Stay away! Get AWAY!” Sekata howled.
In the midst of his maddened struggling, the chains holding his claws together snapped. Steve stepped back as Sekata swung them and shattered the glass walls with a few strong slashes.
The Flamedramon fought the sudden rush of water, struggling to keep his position.
“Sekata! What's happened to you?” Steve called, reaching his claw out. “You're…”
“RRROOAAARRR!”
“Garrrgghh!” Steve suddenly fell back, clutching the bleeding left side of his face in pain.