Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Dragon Morphs: A Digimorphs Tale ❯ Battle of the Angel’s Lands ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Digimon / Digital Monsters and all related trademarks belong are copyright to Toei animation / Saban entertainment. The story, its original contents and ideas, and any original characters belong to the author and cannot be used or reprinted without the author's permission.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Battle of the Angel's Lands

By nightdragon0 (nightdragon0@hotmail.com)

"Zoe! Thank Heavens you're finally here!" Janet cried, rushing to the bars of her jail cell. Spending the night in the cell was a bad enough experience, but she had more important things to tell her friend.

"Just what in the world were you doing?!" Zoe practically screamed. "I went out looking for you, thinking you were in trouble, and suddenly I get Michael coming over to tell me you were the one causing trouble!"

"I told them everything. I know what I saw!"

"What all the cameras saw was you firing like a rabid dino. And there were no signs of the Devimon at all-forced entry, scratches, anything."

"You mean...you...Zoe! You don't believe me, do you?!"

"I never said that I didn't." Zoe said, lowering her voice. "I could probably bust you out of here, just that I don't want to break any more laws around here. You're in big enough trouble as it is."

"You've got to prove I'm innocent Zoe!" Janet continued. "Find that other Guilmon! That b*****d set me up! I just know it!"

"He's in the hospital downtown, I think. I'll go check on him." Zoe nodded, dashing off. "Don't worry, I'll be back soon!"

"Be careful!" Janet warned. "No telling what dirty tricks he's got up his scales. Hey! Zoe, did you hear me? Zoe wait!!"

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Elsewhere, Sekata was flying above a wide canal that cut straight through a mountain range. He'd left the forest area following his time-traveling encounter and was currently staring at the screen of his new dragon head shaped Digivice.

It was unlike any one he'd ever seen before (well on TV at least), but somehow a feeling had just snapped into his head, telling him it was appropriately named the 'D-Dragon'. Despite it being new and shinny, the signal, which he believed to be from Steve's Digivice, was very weak and barely traceable. Still, it was better than having no lead at all and Sekata did his best to follow the flickering arrow.

Sekata couldn't help but admire the fancy D-Dragon too.

Perhaps it'll allow me to reach Mega level on my own, without having to merge with my past self or otherwise. The Cyberdramon thought. That drew him deeper into his ponderings. Speaking of that, I wonder...if I wasn't suffering from partial amnesia at that time, what would I have said to my past self? Could I have told him about the future? Could I have changed my destiny somehow?

However, there is a reason why flying Digimon need to concentrate on where they're going, and Sekata was about to find out why.

WHAM!!

Screaming, Sekata and the Digimon he'd crashed into went tumbling out of the sky, fortunately into a dirt patch on a higher part of the mountain.

"I'm really sorry!" Sekata said, pulling himself out of the pile.

"If I was any other Digimon, you'd be in big trouble right now." A familiar voice muttered. "But luckily, I'm not. Long time no see! How are you Sekata?"

"Huh? You're... Aero V-dramon!"

Sekata recognized this particular dragon, the same one who'd helped their party out when he'd lost control of Vritramon's Spirit. Only now he had a leather equipment belt strapped around his waist and several scars, one distinctly noticeable one on the left side of his forehead.

"Yup. You're not Vritramon anymore, but I can still smell his scent on you." Aero V-dramon smiled.

"I've managed to control the Spirit." Sekata told him. "Somewhat at least. Anyway, what are you doing here Aero?"

"I should be asking you that. I'm on an investigation, but this area can be rather dangerous. The Wild Ones here can be quite unpredictable."

"Wild Ones?" Sekata asked.

"Oh, they're Digimon who choose to live by wild, untamed instinct rather than our civilized ways." Aero explained. "They generally don't attack if not provoked, but for some reason they've been rather active lately."

"I see..." Sekata nodded. "I'm....hey! Look over there!!"

Down in the canyon below, a large cloud of dust was moving rapidly. After staring for a while, the two soon realized it was an Airdramon.

And it was running from something.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

"This is the floor." Zoe muttered, stepping out of the elevator.

The hospital was similar to the ones in her own world. Completely white in color with long corridors leading to several set of doors. This level was relatively empty and rather quiet as compared to the lower reception areas.

"Ow!" Zoe slapped the side of her neck, feeling a slight sting. "They even have bugs in the Digital World?!"

An Angewomon stepped out.

"Good morning. Would you be here to see the injured Guilmon?"

"Yes, if it's all right. I'd like to ask him a few questions."

"Please, come on in."

There was only one occupied bed in the room and Zoe made out a large shape with the covers pulled over him.

"Hey, you awake?" Zoe asked.

The shape moved slightly, but made no sound. Zoe waited impatiently and turned back to find the Angewomon had also left.

"Wonderful service." She growled, walking over to the bed. "OK pal, I'm out of time. I don't care if you're injured or not, but I've got some..."

Zoe threw the covers off to find an inflatable Guilmon shaped balloon with a smiley face on it.

"WHAT THE F***??!!!!"

Suddenly, it sprayed a burst of foul-smelling gas right into her face. Choking and coughing wildly, Zoe rushed for the door. Unfortunately, it was closed and firmly locked.

"X-...ughh...." The blue dragon collapsed, unconscious.

The door then clicked open and the Guilmon walked in, wearing a gas mask.

"Ah, the charm of holographic chips. They'd better reward me double time for this one!" He laughed.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What the heck is that?!" Sekata wondered.

"Some sort of machine." Aero V-dramon suggested. "And it seems to be attacking Airdramon!"

"Then come on! We have to help!"

It was a strange craft shaped like a large caterpillar with the front part of its 'body' reared up. It was gray in color and hovered two feet above the ground. There was a pair of long extendable arms together with a series of small guns mounted at its sides and one larger cannon at the 'head' of the caterpillar. An empty rectangular cart was also being dragged along behind it.

Sekata gasped as the machine caught up with its target and sprayed out a strange, thread-like white gel. The Airdramon was caught off guard and completely wrapped up, pretty much like a cocoon.

"HEY! What do you think you're doing?!" Sekata shouted as the immobilized Airdramon dropped to the rocky ground.

The machine slowed to a stop beside the fallen Airdramon and a hatch on its head opened.

"Don't interfere with our work!" A Dinobeemon popped out, waving his claws angrily. "The master will be furious if we don't get this job done!"

A much smaller Wormmon crawled out as well, timidly hiding behind the leg of his larger cousin. Meanwhile, the machine carried out its seemingly automated task of hoisting the cocooned Airdramon onto the empty cart behind it.

"What are you doing to that Digimon?!" Aero demanded as they landed.

"Oh this?" Dinobeemon gestured, unconcerned. "It's a Wild One, so no worries. Nobody cares about them, but our master seeks to give them a happier life."

"By what? Chasing and capturing them?!"

"Simple folk like you wouldn't understand the master." Dinobeemon spat. "So run on home and mind your own business!"

"YOU!! You're nothing but bullies!!" Sekata roared.

Swinging his left hand upwards, a singular Digicode ring around the left claw while it was raised above his head. With the D-Dragon strapped to his other claw, Sekata brought the two together.

"Spirit Evolution! Vritramon!"

The other Digimon gasped in awe as Sekata stood intimidatingly with his arms folded. He took a moment to adjust his goggles so they were strapped around the rear horns at the back of the head and lying where his forehead should've been.

"A Legendary Warrior..." Dinobeemon muttered. "Now that's something you don't see everyday!"

"Uh-huh..." Wormmon nodded with much less enthusiasm.

"And THIS is something you don't see everyday either!" Sekata roared, lunging.

"Hey! Hold on!" Aero began, although a little too late.

Wormmon dropped back into the cockpit, however Dinobeemon was quicker than Sekata's Vritramon form and somersaulted over his attack.

"Nani?!" (What?!)

"Gurgh!!"

Sekata spun around to find Aero V-dramon being held in a chokehold, with Dinobeemon waving a large dagger in front of the blue dragon's throat.

"Unless you want something unfortunate to happen to your blue friend here, you'd better do as we say." Dinobeemon taunted. "And right now, I think our master will be quite interested to meet you."

"You b**tard!!" Sekata fumed.

"Oh, I wouldn't take another step if I were you." Dinobeemon tightened his grip.

"Sekata...please..." Aero begged. "Just do as he says..."

Reluctantly, Sekata nodded.

"Good. Now change back and follow behind us closely." Dinobeemon commanded. "And no funny ideas either, or else!"

Sekata obeyed as the insect/dragon Digimon brought Aero V-dramon aboard the machine. For an instant, Aero V-dramon managed to turn his face towards Sekata.

The blue dragon gave Sekata a brief wink. Obviously, he had something in mind.

"Hey you! Don't just stand there!" Dinobeemon yelled. "Come on!"

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

"This is taking way too long." Janet nervously paced about the cell. "Too long. Dammit! What if that sneaky bas***d's done something to her! I'll never forgive him for that! Never!"

Suddenly, her Digivice was thrown into the cell, landing at her feet.

"Who?!" Janet leaned out to see the jail keeper, a golden armor plated Rhinomon, was asleep, snoring away.

"This is a game to decide your future." A voice spoke out loud. "Would you like to play?"

Janet looked down and realized it was coming from her Digivice. Its screen had lit up with a strange symbol, like an 'eye' in the center with four points in each direction.

(The symbol that appeared on the cell phones in Digimon Frontier.)

"Hey, what's going on?!" Janet frowned, jabbing the buttons.

"Kanbara Takuya, the game to decide your future has started."

"Huh?!" Janet stared, scratching her head. "Are we on the right frequency here?"

"Oh dear...that was the wrong script." The voice muttered. "Ahem, this is the correct one. Your friend is in great danger. Go to the Skyline train station in half an hour's time. Use the lowest brick in the Southeast corner and be careful not to be seen."

"Hey, wait! Zoe's in trouble?!" Janet called as the mysterious symbol disappeared. "Use the brick?"

Janet fiddled with the aforementioned brick until she realized it could be pushed inwards. Doing so revealed a small, hidden passage, barely enough for her to squeeze through. It took a lot of effort, but she finally managed to get herself through it. The tunnel led her into the sewage system, something she wasn't very pleased with considering her sense of smell, but it was better than being stuck in that prison.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Excuse me?! You let us get caught on purpose?!"

"Not so loud Sekata." Aero nudged him. "And yes, although technically they're not holding us prisoner considering we're sitting in this lavish guest room enjoying refreshments."

They'd been brought to a rather elegant white mansion and were simply told to wait in the room, in stark contrast to how they'd been treated earlier.

"Yeah well..." He knew that the blue dragon had a point. "But you'd think 'The Master', who seems kind enough to entertain us also has some guys going round capturing innocent Digimon for him?"

"That is exactly my suspicion." Aero nodded. "That Airdramon was a Wild One, and their master happens to have an interest in these same Wild Ones."

"You think there's a connection with what you're working on?"

"I do, but I intend to speak to this 'Master' first."

Both stood up as the double doors across the room swung open.

"Welcome honored guests." A humanoid female figure greeted, stepping in. "Please, you must excuse the awful manners of my subordinate. He just gets so wrapped up in his work sometimes that he forgets these things."

This female was D'Arcmon, a Digimon that reassembled a Native American Shaman with four feathery wings on her back. She held a staff in her hand and had two smaller swords strapped to her waist.

"Yes, no grudges held, my lady." Aero V-dramon replied.

Sekata followed his lead and nodded, through not looking as happy as his blue companion seemed.

"Truly, that is good to hear, both from a Legendary Warrior and 'the' Aeromaru, three time champion of the D-1 Battle Tournament."

"You know?!"

"I choose to keep myself well informed on these things."

"Hey, you never told me you were a champion fighter!" Sekata tapped Aeromaru's shoulder.

"Erm...hehe, yeah, never had the chance, did I?" The blue dragon laughed, embarrassed. "Everyone knows me as Aeromaru in the tournaments, but it's no big deal really."

Then, his mood darkened as he faced D'Arcmon.

"However, I would like to inquire on what you're doing with these Wild Ones." He said, bringing up his hands.

"It is as they've said - giving them a better home, a better life." D'Arcmon replied. "You need not worry as I make it my solemn duty to take good care of them."

"I'm afraid that's rather vague." Sekata told her.

"Very well then. Please, come this way."

She lead the pair through the winding hallways of the mansion and down a long flight of stairs until them entered a large, spacious hallway with a high ceiling. Lining platforms cut into the side walls were what Sekata believed to be statues of various Digimon, mainly dragon and dinosaur types.

However, as he moved closer, something began to tell him that it wasn't right.

"Are these really...statues?" He wondered out loud.

"No..." Aeromaru whispered. "They're not..."

"What?!"

"Indeed, he is right." D'Arcmon stepped up to the 'statue' of a Greymon in a T-rex like lunging pose. "These children here are covered by a special film. They have no need to fight, no need to hunt or eat. So much better than the hardships they endured as Wild Ones. Here, they enjoy the happiness of eternal life."

"You...you...mean these...are living creatures....?!" Sekata staggered.

"Of course. You seem so surprised, my dear."

Aero still seemed to be stunned, but Sekata looked up as the 'petrified' Greymon. Its eyes were open and completely white, seemingly without any pupils. Then, he saw the pupil come into view, 'sliding' in from the bottom of its eye.

"Can't you hear?" Sekata growled, walking up to D'Arcmon. "They're angry!"

"Nonsense boy. They are happy." She replied calmly.

"Do you really think so?!" Sekata demanded. "I'm sure they didn't ask for this, eternal life or not!"

He was interrupted when a side door burst open and the worm-like machine they'd been on earlier came in, dragging another cocooned lump in its cart.

"We have another one here for you!" Dinobeemon called, moving the machine's mechanical arms. Like before, Wormmon crawled up silently, hiding behind his leg.

The machine moved the cocooned object onto an empty stand and the white sticky thread peeled off, revealing a petrified Seadramon beneath, looking just like all the others in the room.

"This is...cruel...." Sekata watched, transfixed by the atrocious act. "Too...cruel..."

"What gives you the right to think you can do this?!" Aero shouted angrily.

"Now, your anger is greatly misdirected." D'Arcmon simply said. "Why would one refuse help offered in the most heartfelt ways?"

"RRAARRRR!! YOU B**TARDS!!!" Sekata roared, readying the D-Dragon strapped to his right fist. "I won't sit here and watch these atrocities any longer!! Aero, let's get these Digimon out!! SPIRIT EVOULTION!! Vritramon!!"

"Foolish child..." D'Arcmon muttered.

"Sekata!! Wait!!" Aero protested.

Once again, Sekata had underestimated Dinobeemon's reflexes. No sooner was his evolution to Vritramon complete, did he get a chest-full of the sticky white thread. In a split second, it wrapped around his main body, torso and thighs, severely hampering his movement.

Sekata heard Aero screaming from behind as he reached down to try and rip the white substance off his chest. Unfortunately, that proved to be a critical mistake.

For when the Vritramon looked up, all he saw was a screen-full of white.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Rise and shine lady!!"

Zoe felt her nose being tickled and sneezed herself awake.

"AACCHOOO!! Huh? What the?!"

"Nice nap, wasn't it?" A voice giggled.

She was no longer in the hospital room, but a small, dark cell that seemed to be carved out of a cavern instead. Zoe looked up to see the male Guilmon from before standing in front of her. Her first instinct was to jump up, only that she found herself unable to move at all.

"Sorry miss, but you're rather tied up at the moment."

Zoe was able to turn her eyes down to see she was locked in some large black pot with only her head and neck sticking out of the cover. The pot was also partially filled with water and attached to the side of a wall, suspended slightly above the ground.

"Garrghh!!" She roared. "You think this'll stop me?! X-laser!"

However, nothing happened except for Zoe feeling a hard recoil against her stomach, leaving her screaming in pain.

"No, looks like you're not getting out that way." The Guilmon taunted, moving closer. "You're lucky your attack's so weak, otherwise the rebound might've killed you."

"GGGrrrrrrr!!! Let me out of here and I'll show you!!" Zoe yelled angrily, snapping her jaws, although the Guilmon was just out of reach.

"Jeez, and I thought your friend was hot-headed when she busted up the museum." He smirked, walking around to her back.

"You...you had something to do with it, didn't you?!"

"Oh? Took you long enough to figure out." He grinned, pulling something off the left side of Zoe's neck. "The bug that bit you earlier. Or rather, my personally designed radio-controlled bug, specially meant to plant this little holographic chip on you."

"Holographic chip?"

"Works by stimulating brain impulses, essentially projecting an image into their victim's mind. This one made you see the Angewomon earlier, even through my knock-out gas had everybody else dozing off. And one for your pal earlier that made her see the Devimon no one else could."

"B**tard!!"

"Hey, don't interrupt. As the bad guy, I'm obliged to tell you all about my plans first. Anyway, that big fuss our pal caused gave my ample time to switch crystals."

The Guilmon reached to his back, and seemed to be pulling off a piece of his own skin. Zoe then realized it was a side pouch colored exactly like his scales. From which, he produced a golden diamond-shaped crystal about the size of his hand.

"And once I bring this to the Master of the Underworld, he'll be able to enter the Angel's Lands and I'll get a rather handsome reward."

"Listen buster, you won't get away with this." Zoe growled, even through she couldn't turn her head to see him. "Janet will get out somehow...and then we're gonna kick your butt!"

"Call me Dynamo, by the way. Although you won't be living to remember it much longer!" All of a sudden, Dynamo grabbed the back of her head and held his other claw to her neck. "Well, I could slit your throat open right now, but where's the fun in dying so quickly?"

The evil dino brought up an elastic band and tied Zoe's jaws shut.

"You know, you're locked in this pot for a reason." Dynamo commented, dusting his claws. "I'm sure you know pots are for boiling stuff. And guess what? You're on today's menu!"

With that, he lit a lighter and tossed it at the base of the pot, which immediately burst into flames, much to Zoe's horror.

"Know what? They even put a ventilation shaft in this cell so you can be boiled alive and not suffocate." Dynamo continued calmly, stepping out the door. "Ah well, soup's up! HAHAHAHAHA!!!"

The cell door was slammed shut, leaving Zoe in nearly total darkness and complete despair.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Getting to the location hadn't been easy. Janet had to sneak up to the surface and grab a city map, but it didn't exactly document the sewage tunnels.

Finally, Janet pushed open a manhole and spotted the sign 'Skyline train station'.

"That's it..." She whispered.

Suddenly, she was grabbed, jerked out of the manhole and dragged into an alley.

"Ssshhh! It's me!" A familiar voice spoke as she struggled. "Be quiet!!"

Hidden in the shadows, a squad of guards passed by their hiding place without noticing them.

"Michael!" Janet gasped when the soldiers had passed out of earshot. "Listen, you have to believe that I'm innocent and..."

"It's all right, I believe you." The Angemon replied. "Zoe hasn't returned from the hospital and I fear she may be in danger."

"But why didn't you go to your higher ups?"

"Not that I distrust them, but I just felt that you might know better."

"To tell you the truth, I don't know. I'm not picking up Zoe's reading anywhere." Janet said softly. "All I know is this symbol showed up on my Digivice and..."

"That mark! Lady Ophanimon!"

"Wait? Who?"

"I'll explain later. What did she instruct you to do?"

"Just to get to this train station." Janet replied.

"Hmmm....I wonder if she wants you to go there...." Michael muttered.

"You seem to know the place."

"Sort of..."

"Can you take me there? I think Zoe's in trouble too, and it's my fault!"

"All right." The Angemon nodded. "Just follow me."

Michael carefully led her through the alleys, being careful to avoid any patrols, and to a back gate leading up to the station. Fortunately the lower hallways were relatively deserted allowing them to move faster without being spotted.

"Now what?" Janet wondered. "We're at the station and...huh?"

Once again, her Digivice lit up, first displaying Ophanimon's symbol, then a directional arrow. The pair nodded to each other, then followed.

"It seems to be directing us to the old elevators." Michael commented. "But those aren't supposed to work anymore. Everything on this lower level has been out of service since the new extension was built above it."

"I think this suggests otherwise." Janet pointed as they stepped through a pair of double doors.

The old elevators in front of them did look ancient, worn out and dusty....however one had the lights on its buttons still on, the electrical sparkles illuminating the dark room.

"This is a Portable Energy Generator." Michael gasped, fingering a rectangular object over at the side. Several wires protruded out of the box and were inserted into the wall's power socket. "It's at almost full power too..."

"So, someone's been here recently?"

"A few hours perhaps."

Janet hit the elevator button and the doors slid open.

"Wait, we don't know what could be down there!" Michael warned her.

"I'm going with my gut feeling on this one." Janet insisted. "Something just tells me this'll lead us to Zoe. So, you coming or not?"

Nodding, the Angemon stepped in as the elevator doors closed, beginning its descent.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

"My Lord!" An Angemon guard dashed into Seraphimon's chambers. "I apologize for intruding, but this is urgent! The Guilmon suspected of collaborating with the underworld has mysteriously disappeared!"

"Have you deployed the search parties then?"

"Yes sir. We were wondering if we should increase the number of..."

"Lord Seraphimon!" Another Angemon came running in. "Very bad news! We've discovered that the Sacred Crystal has been stolen!"

"We enforced security since the incident last night! How did this happen?" Seraphimon asked.

"Sir, it didn't happen today, but possibly last night."

"What do you mean?"

"We did return the crystal to its case after last night's incident, but we've just discovered that it was a fake! It must've been taken by one of the Guilmon last night."

"Sir!" A third Digimon, an Angewomon entered the room, completely out of breath.

"More bad news?" Seraphimon sighed.

"The male Guilmon wounded in last night's incident has disappeared from the hospital. All staff on the level of his ward were also knocked unconscious by some sort of sleeping gas."

"It's all starting to make sense now..." Seraphimon realized. "Yesterday's attack by the Underworld Soldiers was nothing more than a diversion to allow their agents to enter undetected."

"We'll try to find the two suspected Digimon immediately." Angewomon declared.

"No, we are most probably already too late." Seraphimon told the three angels. "The Sacred Crystal may already be in the hands of the Underworld's dreaded leader. And without its protection, he himself will be able to enter our lands. Rally our troops and prepare our defenses. We must be ready to protect our home at all costs!!"

"But the crystal..."

"Do not worry. I have people taking care of that."

"Yes sir!" All three saluted and quickly exited the room.

Now alone, Seraphimon turned and placed his hand on the railing of his balcony. He would not have time to idle for long. He was needed by his troops, both for leadership and support, and he could not afford to let them down.

"Ophanimon....you know I will always trust you, but this is a big risk we're taking, both on the part of our home and our people."

<Thank you, brother.> Her telepathic voice entered the Great Angel's mind. <The Chosen Ones are our best chance, but I will need more time.>

"I will lead our people through this crisis."

<I too will play my part. This was my plan, and I will be personally responsible for anything that happens.>

"Ophanimon?"

Unfortunately, her presence had already departed, leaving Seraphimon alone in his ponderings.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

The ride seemed to take ages, but finally the doors opened in a hiss of smoke. Covering their faces, Janet and Michael stepped out. Both stared at what they saw.

"What is this place?!"

"This looks like...no...it's the Underworld!" Michael gasped.

"You're kidding, right?" Janet muttered, stepping out into a large cavern, which lead off into several smaller tunnels. The entire place was dimly lit by only several rows of blazing torches along the walls. The orange glow of those flames reflected off the reddish stone walls, creating a forbidding atmosphere for anyone daring to enter.

Janet's Digivice began beeping softly and its on-screen map lit up, showing a flashing blue Dragon head some distance off from their position.

"This blue symbol has to represent Zoe, or at least her Digivice." Janet realized. "Maybe it was because she was down here that I couldn't track her earlier. Michael, we've got to get to her!"

"We should exercise great caution then." Her companion replied. "I've heard stories of the dangers this place holds and...quiet! Hostiles approaching!"

His keen senses gave both enough time to duck behind a boulder as a pair of Devimon marched pass, talking casually.

"That was close." Janet breathed, moving out to make sure the devils were gone. She accidentally kicked a small rock, which rolled down the slightly sloping tunnel that the two Devimon had gone down. "Crap!"

"What was that?!" The guards spun round, catching sight of Janet right out in the open.

Michael was still out of view, but had a look of horror on his face. Janet gulped as the guards approached her.

"Just what are you doing here?" One of the Devimon asked.

"I...erm..." Janet staggered.

"Yeah, you were supposed to go see the boss ages ago." The second added in.

"See the boss...?" Suddenly, an idea slipped into Janet's mind. Taking a deep breath, she did the best impersonation of a male voice she could. "Yeah, erm, that's right, I was. But see, I lost something and was looking for it."

"Was it the crystal? The boss'll be mad if you lost that!"

"Of course not! I ain't stupid enough to lose that! It was this gadget here." Janet scowled, tapping her Digivice. "But I ended up wasting my time. It's busted and I don't really think I can fix it."

With that, she un-strapped the Digivice and tossed it aside, conveniently towards Michael's direction.

"Oh? That's it huh?" One of the guards remarked. "Things never last long down here."

"Yeah, I'll search for another one some other time." Janet continued, giving a brief wink over to where Michael was hidden. "So, erm..."

"Let me guess, forgot where the boss' chamber is again?"

"Hey, this place is like a maze. Everything looks the same!"

"All right, all right." The Devimon growled. "Follow us and we'll take you there."

As Janet followed the guards down the path, Michael emerged from his hiding place to carry out his own mission of finding Zoe. Taking the Digivice in hand, he looked over first to Janet's direction and then to the area the map indicated for him to go.

"Please be careful, Jan..."

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

It wasn't long before the group arrived at a large pair of double doors.

"It's through here that the Master awaits."

Janet knew she was taking a large risk, but there was no turning back now. Nodding, she stepped forward and entered the doors, which opened into a throne room. Like the rest of the Underworld caverns, it too was dark and carved out of stone, only this place was more lavishly decorated with expensive-looking furniture and weapons.

"Ah, I have been waiting for you." A single black figure sat on the throne at the end of the room.

Janet bowed slightly before continuing on. As she approached, Janet realized the Master of the Underworld was a demonic-looking version of Seraphimon. Although fairly similar in appearance, his armor was white with green patterns and gold markings. He had 10 black, bat-like wings instead of Seraphimon's angelic ones and long red-nailed claws. Finally, the cross of his helmet was an 'X' instead.

It was none other than BlackSeraphimon. (From Episode 28 of Digimon Frontier.)

"So, you have the crystal?"

"It's safe...in a special place of mine." Janet replied, secretly fighting to control her tension. "But...I'd like to...discuss a few things first."

"Payment again? Humph, your kind will never change." BlackSeraphimon spoke immediately, which also gave Janet a secret cue. "10,000 credits was our pervious agreement."

"Yeah, but see, this put me through a lot..." Janet waved. "And I've reconsidered..."

It wasn't long before she managed to engage herself in a long discussion about the price for 'her' services. The fallen angel apparently loved to hear himself speak and went on to talk about how the Sacred Crystal would allow him to enter the Angel's Lands and take over his 'rightful realm'.

In the end, she managed to raise the deal to 15,000. Feeling that it should've been enough time for Michael, she told BlackSeraphimon that she'd be right back with the crystal.

"Wow...that's a relief..." She gasped the moment she was out of the throne room. "I'd better hurry! That ploy won't have him distracted for long!"

She took three steps round the corner and crashed into none other than the same Guilmon who'd set her up. Both hit the floor as the Sacred Crystal landed between them.

At the same instant, the two Guilmon looked up and stared into each other's eyes.

"YOU!!!!"

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

The heat was going from scorching to completely unbearable as the water boiled. Steam was rising from the only opening, the hole where her neck was held, making it even worse. Zoe had tried everything she knew, but there seemed to be no escape from her torture.

Got...to...hold...on...

Then, the door swung open as two Pico Devimon flew in, hovering out of her reach. Zoe made the best growl she could with the gag around her jaws.

"This is the one Ophanimon favors?" One of the bat-like devils asked.

"According to the Master, yeah." His companion replied.

"Then Dynamo did his job well...even if he is working for two Masters."

Even in all her agony, it was impossible not to take interest in that last phrase.

"Think Ophanimon will really come for her?"

"According to our Master, yes. She'd come even if it is a trap."

"In fact, she's already here. Eden's Javelin!"

"HUH?!! YYARGHH!!!" The pair of flying devils screamed as a rainbow colored energy ray blasted them into data particles.

"Zoe, hold still." Ophanimon commanded. "Hargh!!"

With a swift stroke, she used her javelin to cut away the restraints holding the cover shut and shoved the pot over, allowing Zoe to crawl out.

"Are you all right child?" The female angel asked with concern, helping Zoe stand on the wet floor.

"Urm...yea..." Zoe managed, ripping the elastic band off the jaws. "It's...a trap. They...want...you..."

"That I know, but I put you in danger by contacting you. That makes you my personal responsibility." Ophanimon raised a hand over Zoe's face and it began to glow in a soft, white light. "Try to relax for a while. This healing spell will help, even through not much."

Even as she did that, Ophanimon was carefully pulling Zoe away. Unfortunately, neither got very far.

"So, you came. As expected." A deep voice commented. "You could never ignore one of your charges."

"Cherubimon..." Ophanimon muttered. "Still trying to force your way into power? Even here, after you were banished from the Angel's Lands?"

"Shut up!! It was thanks to you that I was exiled, and I want my revenge!!"

"I gave you precisely what you deserved Cherubimon for that rebellion your staged!! Apparently you haven't leant a thing."

Supporting herself on Ophanimon's shoulder, Zoe looked up to see dark, virus form of Cherubimon hovering above them, flanked by a pair of Metal Tyranomon.

<When I give you the word, run.> Ophanimon sent Zoe a telepathic message.

"But..."

<Please don't argue! There is no time left!!>

"Perhaps I haven't, not that it matters now either way." Cherubimon scoffed. "DIE!!"

At his command, the Metal Tyranomon attacked.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

The noise of the two brawling red dinosaurs brought BlackSeraphimon out of his throne room, only to stare in bewilderment at the scene.

"What's going on here??!!" He demanded.

"That's the traitor!" Both Guilmon pointed at each other and yelled.

The dark warrior may've been Lord of the Underworld, but even he couldn't tell the difference.

Suddenly, the Sacred Crystal glittered in the dirt, where it'd been tossed to in the struggle. Janet saw her opponent lunge for it and immediately sank her fangs into his tail, ramming him aside as he leapt up in pain.

With her opponent down, Janet went for the crystal. However, BlackSeraphimon kicked her aside and claimed the crystal as his own.

"At last!" He cried triumphantly. "The Angel's Lands will finally be MINE!!"

"Jeez, everybody wants to rule here and there and this place and that place...." The male Guilmon muttered. "It's getting way too old."

BlackSeraphimon glanced over to the two bruised dinosaurs.

"Tell you what, you two can fight it out, and I'll give the reward to whichever one of you who's alive after the battle." The fallen angel laughed. "If any..."

With that, he teleported away in a flash of purple light.

"Great! Now look what you've done." The male Guilmon yelled. "OW!"

Janet promptly punched him in the face, sending him rolling over.

"OK, Jan, I think we got off on the wrong foot, wouldn't you say?" He waved, rubbing his nose. "Let's start over. My name's Dynamo, I'm male, single, and free this Saturday night."

"Fireball!!"

"AURGH!! OW!!"

"Just to let you know pal, no one messes with me and gets away with it!!" Janet roared. "So stand up and fight you coward!!"

"Well, since you must insist." Dynamo replied calmly. He raised a claw and a blue Digicode Ring formed around it. "I'll show you another one from my bag of tricks. Guilmon evolves....BlackGrowlmon!!"

"Eep..." Janet sweat-dropped, staring up at the towering shape before her.

And I don't have my Digivice with me!!

"RRAARRGGG!! Exhaust Flame!!!"

"YARGH!!" Janet dropped to the ground to avoid the fiery burst, and then took off running.

"Ooo...running away?!" The BlackGrowlmon taunted, giving chase. "Who's the coward now, eh princess?!"

"This isn't running away!!! It's called a TACTICAL RETREAT!!! AARRGHHH!!!!!"

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where...where am I...? What...?

Sekata thought he'd come to, but everything still seemed like a daze. It was as if some hazy fog had surrounded his entire body.

In horror, Sekata realized that he couldn't move any part of his body. He could feel through that his Vritramon body was in an attacking stance; legs apart to balance himself with his wings spread out wide. Claws and tail raised, prepared to strike. Jaws open, as if in a fierce roar.

Then, he felt something....he was being moved. His vision was too blurred to make out anything clearly, but it was like he was in a dark room.

And he was being placed on a raised ledge.

Suddenly, the memories came back. He remembered the rows of those petrified Digimon...and his failed attempt to rescue them.

But then I...wait....no...NO!!

The shocking realization pierced him like a dagger. Sekata knew exactly where he was.

Aeromaru and himself had been added to the collection of living statues....and like them, would remain frozen there for all eternity.

Sekata regretted even thinking that because it unintentionally sent his thoughts into a state of dread and panic. As much as his brain was screaming commands, he couldn't get a single limb or muscle to respond.

NO!! NOO!! THIS...THIS CAN'T BE HAPPENING!!!!!!! NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Then, the last of the light faded from the room as his captors departed, closing the doors behind them.

And leaving the dragon's cries of agony to reach nothing other than the dark, endless voids of his own mind.

NNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!< /div>