Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Fated ❯ Friends ( Chapter 7 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Fated: Part Seven

Friends


"Hey, Chumly! You goin' to the park today with us?"

"Yeah-- we'll all be there!"

Takato, who was in a hurry to get off the school grounds, laughed nervously. Darnit! He had been hoping to go to the park with Rika today! You know... take a walk, talk and perhaps actually have some fun! If they were there....

Still-- why couldn't he tell them about her? When did she become his 'secret?' One that he seemed to be... greedy about? Besides, weren't they his BEST friends? The ones he could confide in? Said he, although wearily:

"Sure... and-- um-- can I bring a friend, too?"

A friend...? Maybe... maybe that was where he'd been the past few weeks! "Sure!" Kazu thought for a moment; it sort of sent some dust flying in the corridors of his mind! "Do they play Digimon? If so, how good are they?!"

Kenta sighed. He was at it again.... Glancing at Takato, he muttered, "Ya know-- it doesn't matter.... Jeri comes all the time, and she never plays!" Of course... she supplied the food.

Gee... did Rika play the card game...? Hmm. That was a hard one. "Yeah, they know how-- they're real good, too!" Alright, so he may have been exaggerating, but really! He'd never beaten her, so what made him think that she was a poor player?!

Kazu jumped for joy. "YES!" Finally! Another talented player worth his time-- at least... he hoped. "Don't forget to stop by!" he called, jogging off with Kenta in tow. The poor kid... why did he put up with such a... a HYPER friend? A moment later, Henry (who had been talking to Jeri) galloped after them; his yelps and pleas for a slower departure were mere echoes to the distant boys.

With a small chortle, the brown-haired boy walked off, not knowing what the future had in store for him... and not really caring.

~*~

Thursday... a school day.... Rika Nonaka made her way home after yet another day of hell. Kimiko still ranted and raved about the mall scene; more kids bugged her about it now, since it had happened almost a week ago. Man! She wanted to just swing her fists and end their taunts and teases! With but one hit, they could learn why one should never mock Rika! And yet she....

She kept her promise.

"I'm home!" she called. No one answered; she didn't expect anyone to. Her mom was out at a photo shoot and wouldn't be home until late. Her grandma had gone shopping early this week because food was running low in the house.

Loneliness.

Solitude.

Right then... she wanted her goggle-headed friend to be there with her.... She needed to feel special... to feel needed.

She wanted to know... someone cared....

Walking into her quaint, little room... she prepared to change into her well-known favorite outfit.... It expressed her feelings rather clearly, and she'd always wear it-- even when it had holes and didn't quite fit as good anymore. What could she say? When you like a shirt, you like it!

Just as Goggle-head wore his blue t-shirt with the hood....

Shaking her head, she changed. That boy.... Ever since she met him, he had changed her... changed her in a way that... that she had never thought possible. But... what was he to her-- really? Just... a friend? Or had he somehow become something much, much, much more...? More than a friend...? Could she possibly....

Tmp. Tmp. Tmp.

"Coming!"

~*~

He was so astonished! Without much question, Rika had agreed to go have a day at the park! She even wanted to see his friends! I mean, really! He had really accomplished something! Before him, Rika had been cruel and cold to and about everything! Now... now she was different. She was kinder... and gentler.

Takato smiled as they walked-- side by side, might I add-- down a grassy path. It was nice.... He enjoyed the tranquillity. Rika must've, too, because she merely looked around and studied the various surroundings.

A sudden thought hit the boy. What was he supposed to do now?! He couldn't exactly hold her hand, or anything, so.... What? What could they, as friends, do? Looking around, the goggle-boy chuckled with a nervous tone. Good Lord....

There were people all over! Not just any people, either! Couples! God-- he just wanted to die right then! How... embarrassing. Rika didn't like him that way, and it felt (at least to him) that he was implying... something else. Fighting back a howl of rage, he turned to his friend. "Hey, Rika?"

"Hmm...?" Her violet eyes roamed about; they slowly lazed up to meet his eyes. What was with him? He looked like a wreck! "What...?"

Eh? What...? Did... did he look THAT bad? Oh...! "Um... er-- whatcha wanna do?" he rambled out suddenly. Man! Stupid! What was that? He had invited her-- he should've planned something out! He fought control over his hand.... It sorta wanted to... to whack him upside the head for saying something so lame!

What... did she want to do? Well... she didn't really care-- it wasn't like it mattered. She tried to smile; to her, it still felt rusty. "You can pick," she muttered, eyes trailing out again. Ahh... there was a lake here? With the sun slowly sinking in the sky, the scene was actually quite... peaceful. Geeze... she really had changed.... 'Back then... would I have stopped to adore the sun against the water's surface?' she wondered lightly. Probably... not.

What was she looking at? The lake? Takato caught a glimpse of some boats floating around. A-hah! He could do that! Not thinking twice, he asked: "Feel like taking a 'boat ride?'"

~*~

It was okay.... It was okay.... It was okay....

It was NOT okay.... Takato glanced over to his friend nervously. They... were pretty close.... I mean-- sitting on one of those little boats, paddling around a lake and watching as others went to the far corners to-- ahem!-- make out... wasn't fun. But... she had agreed to it, so.... He slumped in his seat; his shoulder brushed against hers.... Even without looking he felt himself blush lightly. God! He was being so stupid!

Rika kept her eyes focused out in front of her. She had no idea why Goggle-head had wanted to do this, but.... Well, they had planned on spending the day together, hadn't they? What else were friends supposed to do? She never really had any friends before him, so.... Besides, playing the card game every day... was getting old. At least they had something different to do....

Bored. Bored. Really bored. They hadn't even talked much! Then again... what was he going to say? 'Rika...? I think I like you...,' wouldn't really work right now, ya know.... Water sprang up and hit his arm. Man! That wasn't as cold as he had thought! They could've gone swimming in that! Geeze, why didn't--

A-ha! Snickering at his idea, Takato leaned forward... and dunked his hand into the water. If anything, it was something to break the uneasy silence! He brought his hand out and flung it Rika's way. She didn't even see it coming!

What was that?! She felt something hit her face! Turning, she saw the goggle-boy bent partially over the boat, eyes grinning playfully. Why that dirty, little.... She spun, plunged own hand in the warm water and forcefully sent some of the liquid flying. "Here!" she yelped jokingly. "Have a taste of your own medicine!"

Water sploshed and splashed all around them; they were too busy laughing to care, though. For the first time in a long time, Rika was having fun.... She hadn't been so happy since... since her father....

She felt something on her head... and gasped as she saw Takato yank out her ponytail! Laughing, he held it as high as he could. No! She hated having her hair down! "Give it back!" she cried, trying to reach for it. She wasn't jesting this time! Really-- she wanted it back! With a fierce "argh," she snatched it from him.

Gee... she wasn't happy anymore... was she? He finally opened his almond eyes... to see an image of beauty. Sure... she was wet, but it didn't matter.... "You...," he muttered, turning red against his wishes, "look nice with your hair... down."

Wha... what...? Rika felt her face burn hotly. Oh... did he just say what she thought...? No... no one had EVER complimented her in any way before.... Well, that wasn't true. He mother had claimed her as beautiful... but her excuse was always 'because you're my daughter!' "Whatever...," she murmured, wishing that the redness would go away. Curse him!

Takato was sure that he'd be smacked... or something similar to it. After waiting a moment, he watched as she carefully slid her hair ribbon over her hand... and onto her wrist! She... she was going to leave it down? She was! Had he gotten to her...? Maybe... but she was probably doing it because he was her friend.... It wasn't like she liked him....

With a groan, he folded his arms behind his head. Life, he had finally decided, was... confusing. More than confusing! Life was a puzzle waiting to be stomped on! All it did was sit there, mocking and taunting you to come over and try to finish it; it would soon become so complicated that you just had to hit it!

Yup-- he could be an author one day. 'Takato's Version of Life.' That's what he would call his first book. Watch no one read it, either. Oh well.... That's life.

It just really, really, really sucked at times.

~*~

"Come on, Henry! Best... two out of five!"

Henry Wong, grinning like the Cheshire cat from 'Alice in Wonderland,' shook his head. Nope. He was gonna let Kazu suffer.... "Sorry, pal," he muttered, stretching and yawning. "I don't think I need to humiliate you anymore...." That was for sure....

No! He had to keep on playing! Kenta-- the idiot-- had forgotten his deck, Jeri didn't even own any cards and Takato hadn't shown up yet with his friend! What else could he do? He NEEDED to play! Right now! "Please...? Oh, pretty please-- with sugar on top and ice cream in the middle and sprinkles and hot fudge and--"

Oh, geeze.... Did he really think that sucking up would work? Nah... not on him! With a chuckle, Henry reached over for one of Jeri's sandwiches; they were ham and cheese, but tasted great! Then again... he liked anything Jeri made, so....

Alright, alright.... Yeah... you could say that he kinda liked Jeri.... It was just that... he wasn't sure what to do, ya know? He was just... unsure. What if she didn't like him? Well, 'course she liked him... but he meant the way that he felt for her.... Did she...?

Kenta sighed. Kazu wouldn't shut up! He was so desperate... he even added a Digimon booster pack to his please.... Glancing around, his eyes spotted a familiar figure walking toward them. "Hey, guys! It's Takato!" Who was that with him? That friend Kazu had mentioned earlier? If you asked him, it looked like his friend was a....

"Is that a girl with Chumly?" Kazu raved. Oh, this was sweet! Takato had been skipping out on them a lot, lately; his crush on Jeri seemed to have vanished; he claimed to have made a friend not that long ago; this friend seemed to look like a girl.... Hmm... not very suspicious, eh?

Jeri studied the upcoming figure carefully. Yes... yes-- it did look like a girl. Well... unless it was a boy with really long hair. "I think so...."

"Shh!" Henry hissed. "Here they come!" They couldn't act like that! His friend would get the wrong impression! With a groan, he prepared to play another game with the beggar. Just his luck....

Okay... she could pick them out pretty easily. The one with the glasses was... Kenta-- right? Yeah.... And the two playing-- the one with the visor, and the one with the blue hair-- they... were Kazu and Henry. Jeri... she was the girl. Sure... she had it down pact. No problem.

Takato grinned shakily. How... were they gonna act? "Hey!" he called, walking up and plopping down next to Kenta; Rika sat right beside him... which sent off a small blush. Darnit! He didn't want to act that way while around his friends! They... they would tease him SO bad! Clearing his throat, he asked:

"So, what's up?"

Gee... what was up...? How about him and that girl? Kazu chortled from behind his hat. It was just too good! Seeing his pal heat up like that-- especially when she only sat next to him! Boy! He had it bad! "Aren't," he started silkily, "you going to introduce us...?"

Boys-- such jerks! That was one reason why she didn't completely hate her school! Rika shot him a dagger-filled glare. "You're Kazu, he's Kenta, that guy's Henry and she's Jeri," she growled; she then added, "I already know Takato."

Laughing to himself, Takato felt sweat slide down his face. God... they just HAD to get her mad.... "This... is Rika. Rika Nonaka." Man-- they weren't going to let him live this down, were they? Why couldn't they just accept it? Agh... he needed someone to talk to. He needed to tell someone about his problems.... Maybe... maybe he'd talk to Jeri... she seemed to know a lot about people....

Had he heard right? Did he just say...? "R... Rika No... naka?" stammered Kenta. "The Rika Nonaka?" Oh, my... if it was her, then....

"The Digimon Queen?!" Kazu yelped. It... it was her, wasn't it? She... she was so famous.... And there she was... sitting right in front of them!

Rika smirked. So then... they knew who she was.... Her reputation was quite the something, really. At least here... she wouldn't be called names like 'Hellbound Nonaka.' Not that she didn't like the nicknames... in fact, she had helped create some of them in the first place.

What were they talking about? 'The Digimon Queen?' Sure-- he'd heard of her... but Rika...? Takato looked over to his friend. The way she was acting.... It was true, wasn't it...? But... why did she tell him...? Slightly disappointed, he smiled weakly. Might as well play along with it.

Besides... it wasn't every day you learned that your best friend was a celebrity.

~*~

It was getting late... and Rika was bored out of her wits. No matter how hard any of them tried, she beat them with ease. It wasn't very hard, although Kazu's whines made her head throb lightly.

"I can't believe she beat Henry!" he cried, falling back onto the grass; his cards scattered about. He didn't really care.... He'd just been beaten by a girl! That was it! It was time to go buy a new set of cards!

"Look...," Rika muttered, standing and backing slowly. "I really have to get home-- my mom will be home soon." If she were to get home too late... her mother would kill her... then ground her from the park or Digimon for a while.... Not that it would stop her any.

Takato sprang up and started after her. He didn't want her to go alone! He already felt bad the last time when she went home after the fight at the mall! "Wait up! I-I'll walk you!"

As the two faded in the distance, Jeri let out a long, happy sigh. "Takato really likes her...," she whispered. He had finally found the person he cared for most... just as she was beginning to discover for herself. Taking a quick peek toward Henry, she stood and started on her journey home. It wouldn't be a very long one, but her father may be upset for her being out so late....

Kazu, Kenta and Henry exchanged looks. Thanks to Takato, they... had just met one of the best Digimon players in Japan.... They had gone up against her, bravely believing that they could win... and lost.

Gee... that didn't tint their self-esteem at all....

~*~

He could do it! All he had to do was hand it to her and smile-- not that hard! But... what if she said something unexpected? What was he supposed to do, then? Eh?

Eh?!

Standing on the Nonaka family porch, Takato blushed yet again. Ah... he had to learn how to control that.... Liking someone was one thing-- liking a friend was a whole other story....

Smiling sincerely, Rika whispered, "Thanks... for taking me to the park." She... felt special.... It felt so good... so good. She never wanted to lose that feeling. Knowing that she would... once she entered the house, she sighed. Only when she was with him....

"Be... before you go, I want t-to give you something...." Please... don't act like a fool.... Don't screw up somewhere, Matsuki! If he were to mess up, he'd... he'd kick himself!

A... a gift? "For me?" she asked softly. No one's ever... given her a present before.... She didn't know what to do.... Was she supposed to take it and say 'thanks?' Was there something more? Oh... so many new things....

Be brave! 'I can do this!' he claimed to himself, digging into the far corners of his pocket. Yes! He had the ability to do whatever his heart reached for! Whatever his were aimed at! There! He found it! Yanking it out, he thrust it into her face. He knew she would like it, but....

Accepting the token, she noticed how... incredibly thin it was... and how it was in the shape of a.... Oh, my God.... It couldn't be.... Rika pulled the card out of its container. It was! The holographic Sakuyamon card! But... why did he...? Why...?

Tears formed in her eyes... and she leaned forward to hug him. It was really the first time they... had ever truly hugged, so.... "Thank you...," she murmured under her breath. There was just... something about him....

He... he was a little ridged. Okay-- a lot. He hadn't expected her to hug him! This was something entirely knew! But... he could handle it.... Wrapping his arms around her, he smiled a smile that seemed to tell all.... "You're welcome...." She... smelt so nice.... He wanted to protest when she gently pulled away, but didn't. Instead, he kept her close... so that they were practically nose to nose....

What... was he doing? His eyes... what were they trying to tell her? What was she supposed to see...? "Goggle-head.... What...?" Oh... Rika felt lost within his almond eyes... trapped inside of them. The only thing was... she didn't want to be let out. Her heart sped up as she felt herself get lulled forward....

Takato was... well, out of it, really. Her purple eyes were so relaxing, so.... He leaned forward; he watched as her eyes began to shut. They... they were going to kiss... weren't they? If they did... would Rika smack him right afterwards? Or... would she...? Takato closed his own eyes and felt his head tilt slightly.

Slowly... the two brought their lips closer... and closer... and--

WHAM!

"Rika? Are you out there?!"

The redhead and goggle-boy flung apart; both wore a mask of red. Mrs. Nonaka looked from her daughter... to the boy beside her. She had never seen him before.... Perhaps he was a friend of Rika's.... But the way they were acting....

Realizing what she'd done, Mrs. Nonaka waved and laughed. "Sorry! I-I didn't mean to interrupt!" Oh, her baby was growing up!

Rika shoved her foot in the nearly-closed sliding door. What the heck was her mother talking aobut? 'Interrupt?' Interrupt what? "Nothing," she hissed, "happened." Stupid Mother.... Always making a big deal out of nothing.... Without even saying 'goodbye,' she stomped in and made her way to her room. Nothing... that was right. Not. A. Thing.

What... was Rika's problem? "Uh... I'll see you tomorrow!" called Takato; her mother gave him a sad smile, then shut the door. Oh, geeze.... From what he could hear, Rika's mom was scolding her... wasn't she?

Sighing heavily, the boy walked out onto the street. He shoved his hands into his coat pockets. Tomorrow... would be interesting.... Especially after what ALMOST happened....

Even now, he wondered.... If it had, what would he have done?

~*~

"Are you trying to tell me that you haven't found the dreamer yet?!"

Daisy, the blond working on the Dream Waves, winced. He was getting impatient.... If he were tp get beyond that, would he.... "No, sir," she muttered. "I believe that we are close, though."

"Close...?" he mimicked. Was that all? Well, then. They were 'close' to being finished. "Close, but no cigar...." With a small mumble about who should be doing what if this were ever attempted again, he turned to the people at the computers. Asked he:

"Janyuu, is the DM program still running smoothly?"

"I've recently found a few minor glitches since the inspection, but nothing Yamaki and I can't handle...." Unless they decided to mess it up even more.... Of course, they didn't know what he'd do to them then....

Glitches? Oh, well... that shouldn't be that difficult. "Fix them." With a flick of his wrist, his lighter flashed. Nervousness was getting to him.... They were so close to their goal... yet so far....

He placed his cigarette in the corner of his mouth and puffed rapidly. At his rate, he'd need a new one soon.... With a glance to the window... he breathed out a thick cloud of smoke. Yeah... they were unhealthy... but who cared? They calmed his nerves.

"We must find our dreamer... and complete the program. Without them, we cannot reach our destination.... We cannot make dreams reality... unless they are united...."

It was going to be another long, hell of a night.

~*~

A/N: *eeps and hides* Gomen nasai for the long wait! I've been sick, and I have school.... The only time I've had to type is right before I sleep; a good thing about that is... my sister is away at 6th grade camp!! Yeah! Anyway... good bit of Rukato fluff? Like? No? Please review and tell me!!! I'll feel sooo happy! And as for the next part... it's gonna be more serious. Yup-- I am starting to get to the actual plot! Mwahaha.... Here's the preview! Enjoy!- Angel-Chan

Fated: Part Eight

Why?

Yesterday had... been fun. It was something that she actually looked forward to again-- very soon, even! He had been so kind to her....

A small item caught her eye; it sat on her desk. Oh... the Sakuyamon card.... The one that Goggle-head had given her... and then they almost....

Rika shook her head, red locks falling over her violet eyes. She had to forget about it-- it wouldn't have happened. They were just friends! Friends didn't do those kind of things! Did they...?

Agh... she had to get ready for school... and force on that stupid uniform. She hated it so.... Walking out of her room, the girl groaned and noticed the bathroom was in use. "Hey--" she knocked gently on the door "--you almost done?" That's when she heard it....

Vomiting sounds.

She ignored the twinge of uneasiness bursting form within her. It was probably nothing... just her mother or grandmother getting sick.... Yes-- nothing more than that. But... why did she have such a queasy, sinking feeling...?

The door opened... and out stumbled her mother. Oh... God. She looked so pale and.... It suddenly hit her. But... it couldn't be-- it just couldn't! Nothing like that ever happened to her! Without letting her mother leave, she shoved her way into the bathroom. Whatever she was looking for, it had to be there! Was it in the cabinet? No-- nothing. Was it in the trash bin...? Was...?

No... no-- it couldn't be! Rika fought back the tears and picked up her findings with care. She... she wouldn't believe it. NO! Turning to her mother... she mouthed the only thing that came to mind: "Why...?"

What...? Mrs. Nonaka stared at the object in her daughter's hands, dumbfounded. "Rika, honey... I can explain--"

Why...? Why would she do that to her? To their family?! "I can't believe you!" she cried, tossing her evidence toward her mother; blind behind tears of anger and rage, she stormed out of the house. No one... she couldn't trust anyone! Her mother... her mother had gone and done something so stupid-- so selfish! Right then, Rika hated her life....

And so she ran... leaving her mother to ride the pity party express....