Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ First Crush ❯ Homecoming ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

First Crush 10

Homecoming

Disclaimer: I do not own Digimon.

Author's notes: Oh, and excuse the tardiness of this concluding chapter. I've been on vacation!

Suzie paced the room with heavy strides as she glanced at the clock. She was being released from the hospital today and couldn't wait to come home. The doctors advised that she take it easy as soon as she gets home and even asked her to rest before she left, but Suzie was too excited to rest. She was dressed and ready to go. She couldn't wait to get some fresh air and see Lopmon. She's been in the hospital way too long.

"When are they going to get here?" she demanded. "I can't wait any more! Ugh!"

She sat in a chair and tapped her foot.

"Milady, your chariot awaits."

"Huh?" she turned and saw Kazu standing in the doorway, holding some flowers. "Kazu!" she ran and threw her arms around him. "You came on my homecoming day! Are my parents here?"

"No," he responded as he gave her the flowers along with a kiss on her forehead.

"What?"

"I'm taking you home."

"With your parents?"

"No."

"Then…how?"

Kazu chuckled, "come on, baby." He took her hand. "There's something I want you to see."

"You rented a convertible or something, right?" she asked.

"Something like that," he replied as they went to the elevator. As soon as the elevator doors closed, Suzie turned to him.

"Come on, Kazu, what is it?"

"It's a surprise."

She began to flirt with him. "Oh please?"

"It won't be long." He put his arms around her and kissed her square on the mouth, leaving her breathless. "I've missed you."

Suzie returned the kiss. "I've missed you too, Kazu. Even if you did visit me every day." She sighed, "It's boring here and I never get to have any fun."

"Well, you're coming home today so now you'll get to have all the fun you want." The doors opened they walked out. When they got outside, Suzie took in a deep breath of fresh air.

"Mmm, it smells so good out here! Just feel that breeze!"

"Yeah," Kazu said, "you'll get to feel it even more."

Kazu lead her to a motorcycle and he tossed a pink helmet with her name on it. "Hop on."

Suzie's mouth dropped open and all she could muster was guttural sounds. Kazu nodded as she tried to speak.

"This…this is yours?"

"Yeah."

She laughed, "No way!"

"Way."

She palmed the motorcycle, "wow. This is incredible. I never would've thought!"

Kazu got on and started the motorcycle. Suzie's legs went limp. "Amazing!"

"I figured you want to go home in style," Kazu said.

"Can we drive around town before we do?" she asked as she strapped on her helmet.

"Absolutely."

"All right! Thanks!" she kissed him and hopped on behind him.

"Now hold on tight," Kazu said, "don't be shy."

Suzie put her arms around Kazu's waist and he sped off out of the parking lot and onto the street, avoiding traffic. Suzie tightened her arms around Kazu's waist and leaned against him. This was better than she ever dreamed of. They rode all over town and probably made other drivers mad. After driving for a while, they stopped at the hill overlooking the city. Suzie got off first and removed her helmet, holding it gingerly in her had as she went to the edge.

"Suzie?" Kazu asked as he took off his helmet and walked up behind her. He put his arms around her waist. "You okay?"

"Mm-hmm."

Kazu kissed her temple, "want to talk about it?"

"I was just thinking…how close I got to, losing it all." She said, looking down and then raising her eyes back to the sky. "Isn't it just, beautiful up here? I feel like I can do anything. Be anything. I can't believe that I let one thing take my life away. I don't want something like that to happen again."

"Hey, listen to me, Chumly--" He turned to him.

"Chumly?! That's what you call my brother and everyone else."

"Or Chumlet."

Suzie giggled.

"You've made a mistake." He told her softly, a hand on her shoulder and another cupping her face. "There's no sense in dwelling on it."

"I almost died, Kazu. If you--"

"Shh," he put his finger on her lips. "It's all right. That's behind you now. Don't worry about it. It's over. Just live for today. Maybe what you need is a change of scenery or something."

"Like what?" she asked.

He shrugged, "I don't know, you can take on karate. Ask your brother if he'll teach you."

Suzie laughed, "no way!"

"He told me it builds self confidence."

"Well, maybe." Suzie nodded. "I'll turn out okay sooner or later."

"That's my girl." He said with a grin as he put his hand to her face. Suzie embraced him and Kazu held her.

"Kazu, I…love you." She whispered.

"I guess you're over that Chip guy, now, huh?"

"Uh-huh," she said. "I'm so over him. I've got a crush on you now."

"You're not the only one."

"I'm okay with that," she shrugged, "a lot of girls love you. Now you've got an extra one. You're my hero, Kazu."

"Don't be silly. I'm no hero."

"Yes you are," Suzie insisted, "if you didn't come when you did, I'd probably still be in the hospital."

"Hey, I just did what to be done," Kazu stepped back and folded his arms. "It doesn't make me a hero."

"Oh, fine, be that way," she sighed. "Now…tell me about the girls you've dated!"

"Huh?"

"I'm just joking."

He grinned, "Actually, I think I will tell you about someone. Did I tell you about Abby?"

"No." She shook her head.

"Well, she was an overweight girl I knew back in elementary school. She had no friends and would eat lunch all by herself."

"Let me guess, you ate lunch with her once and turned her life around, right?"

"How'd you know?" he asked with a grin.

"Lucky guess."

"Then we went on a Rollerblading date. A few actually. She lost weight and now she has more friends."

"Do you still talk to her?"

"Every now and then."

Suzie giggled, "that's what I love about you, Kazu. You do things for people. Things that others wouldn't."

"Hey, come on," he blushed slightly, "I couldn't just let her sit there and eat alone." He sat down and she sat down next to him.

"Tomorrow, let's go Rollerblading."

"But you've just been released from the hospital, Suze," Kazu said. "You should get some rest."

"Oh, baloney!" she grumbled. "Come on. I feel fine and I'll eat a healty lunch before I go and I'll be sure to keep it down this time!"

"Okay."

"Great!"

He took her hand, "come on, babe. You're missing your party."

"Party?" she asked. "There's a party?"

"Oh, darn it!" he groaned. "Ruined it for you, didn't I?"

"Don't worry, I'll try to act surprised." She giggled and kissed Kazu on the cheek as they walked to his motorcycle.

****

"SURPRISE!" everyone shouted as they jumped out from behind furniture. There was a huge white banner that said WELCOME HOME, SUZIE! There was a buffet table with food and drink and even presents.

Suzie gasped and leaned against Kazu. "Why, what's this? Wow!"

"Welcome home, honey!" Mrs. Wong exclaimed as she embraced her daughter. Suzie smiled and hugged her dad next, followed by her siblings. She stopped when she got to Henry.

"I'm surprised you're here and not giving Chip his just deserts," she said.

"I'll wait until he heals from the bruises Kazu gave him," Henry said, "then I'll break his bones."

"Henry!" Jaarin gasped.

Suzie laughed and hugged Henry. "Oh, Henry."

Rika and the others where there too. Suzie hugged her. "I'm glad you're here, Rika. Can you take those magazines back to your mom? I don't need them anymore."

"Sure thing!" Rika replied.

Suzie glanced at Henry, "oh," she whispered and covered the side of her mouth so Henry couldn't here, "I hope I didn't mess up things with you and my brother."

"Huh?" Rika asked.

"I know you two like each other," she said.

"You do?"

"Who doesn't?"

Rika felt her cheeks become warm as Suzie finished the 'hug' chain. People stood around talking and eating after Suzie opened her presents. She got all her homework that she missed from Ai along with a friendship bracelet, a 'get well, Suzie' wooden picture that Mako made in wood class, a card from Kenta and a gift certificate for a free meal for two at a good resturant from Rika and her family. Suzie had already received her present from Kazu and Jeri.

"I'm glad you're feeling better, Suzie," Mako said as Suzie held Lopmon in her lap.

"Thanks, Mako." She replied. "It's good to be home."

Mako blushed, "I--"

"Hey, girl," Ai said, giving Suzie a hug. "I forgot to tell you about what happened at school! Chip hasn't come since Kazu beat the crap out of him!"

"Really?" Suzie asked.

Mako bit his lip and walked away from the chattering girls. He started a conversation with Masahiko.

"I wonder if he'll be back on school Monday," Suzie said. "I'd like to give him a piece of my mind. Then it'll be Henry's turn to kick his lowlife ass. What about Millie?"

"She still comes but I don't know if they're still together," Ai replied.

"Henry, I want to apologize for not telling you about Suzie coming to my house," Rika said. "Maybe things wouldn't turn out this way."

"It's too late for that, Rika," Henry said.

"I really am sorry."

Henry smiled, "I'm not mad at you."

"You're not?"

"No. Listen, let's not talk about this, okay? My sister came home from the hospital. Let's just try to enjoy ourselves."

"Sounds okay to me." She smiled back at him and talked about more pleasant things.

More time passed and Suzie was happy to be back home. She took time eating her food instead of eating too fast. It helped her stomach feel like it didn't need to purge. When the party was over and all of her guests left, it was time for Suzie to go to sleep. She got into her pajamas and hopped into bed, Lopmon coming in after her.

"I'm so glad you're back, Suzie," Lopmon said. "I've missed you. I was afraid that you were in danger."

"It's okay, Lopmon," Suzie assured, "that's all over now and there's nothing for you to worry about. I know everyone feels like they've done something wrong, but this was my own fault. There's no one to blame but myself. Now, let's not talk about this anymore. Tomorrow I'm going Rollerblading with Kazu and I need the rest."

"Oh, okay," Lopmon sighed and they eventually fell into sleep.

*****

Around midmorning, Kazu arrived at Suzie's house to pick her up. She was wearing a pink shirt, a khaki colored vest, greenish-blue shorts, a pink fanny pack with her digivice. On her head was Lopmon.

"Lopmon wants to come," Suzie said with her usual cute smile.

"I've never been Rollerblading before," Lopmon said.

Kazu laughed, "bummer, I should've brought Gaurdromon with me. Imagine him on roller blades…" Kazu was wearing his red wristbands, a black ASHITA T-Shirt (AN for FFN readers: ASHITA is a fanfic by Kaden Z. Fukuyama. See fanart of it mediaminer.org. Most of Kazu's and Suzie's attire here is based from the fanart that Mimi, Myself and Iz. Did of Kazu and Suzie) and dark blue jeans. His shoulder length brown hair was pulled back in a ponytail. He had on a brown helmet with matching elbow and kneepads.

Suzie giggled, stepped out of the door and grabbed his hand. "Come on, Kazu!"

"Whoa! Hold on there, girl!"

They skated to the park, with Suzie ahead of Kazu. It was a warm spring day and the sun was shining. The air was crisp. Birds were singing and butterflies were fluttering around. Suzie wanted to be a part of it. She wanted to live again.

'I've never felt so alive,' Suzie thought, spinning into a tight circle and skating around. 'Ain't nothin' goin' ta keep me down! No way!'

They've been skating for about half an hour and Kazu was exhausted just following her. Lopmon couldn't keep up with her, she couldn't even hang on to her at the rate she was going so Kazu lent her his shoulder.

"Look at that girl skate!" Lopmon exclaimed.

"Hard to believe she was released from the hospital yesterday," Kazu panted. "Suzie, wait for me!"

Suzie stopped and skated to him. "Oh, is Black War Kazumon all pooped out?" she asked with a giggled.

"Me too and I didn't even skate," Lopmon said.

"Suzie, how can you skate so…fast?" he questioned, trying to keep his breath as he skated next to her. "Aren't you at least a bit tired?"

"Nope!"

"But how? You've been bulimic for a long time."

"Yeah, but I'm not anymore." She said. "I feel much better. Really I do. Besides, I had a healthy breakfast this morning and plenty of water before you came. I even have some snack bars." She opened her fanny pack, "you want one?"

"Do I?"

Suzie giggled and gave him one. He gave half of it to Lopmon. Suzie snacked on hers, and supporting him, Kazu and Suzie skated to a bench. Suzie sat him down and held his hand, swinging it gently.

"You and Lopmon wait here, okay? I'll treat you to a snow cone this time!

"Make it strawberry kiwi." He proposed, his arm around her waist. Lopmon crashed next to Kazu.

"But of course!" she exclaimed and pecked his cheek. She skated away.

"Terriermon's missing all the fun," Lopmon said. "He's still asleep."

"Next time will drag him and Henry to skate in the park," Kazu commented.

*****

Suzie pulled her arms in a tight spin and she jumped, however, she didn't land so gracefully and fell on her face.

"I'm glad Kazu and Lopmon didn't see that," she grumbled. "I hope no one did."

Unfortunately, someone did. Suzie heard skates coming to her.

'Oh no, please don't it be Millie. I know Millie would mostly likely be perfecting her cheers but I don't wanna chance it. Please don't it be Millie! Or one of her cheerleader friends!'

Someone stopped at Suzie's prone body and spoke. It was a girl's voice, but not Millie. The voice sounded friendly. "Nice spin, but you've really got to work on your landing. If you twist your body, you won't fall."

"T-thanks for the tip," Suzie grumbled.

"Here, let me help you up." The girl grabbed her by the arms and lifted to her feet. "Nothing broken, I hope? You okay?"

"Yeah. I'll be okay," Suzie said. "Good thing I was wearing my helmet and pads, huh?" She focused on a lean-bodied girl around sixteen with warm brown eyes, elbow-length black hair pulled back in a ponytail and a white smile. She nodded.

"You're smart," she said. "Some girls go skating wearing nothing but a thong bikini. But once they fall and scrape their pretty perfect skin, they'll learn."

'Yeah, pretty perfect girls like Millie,' Suzie thought. She cleared her throat, pushed the thought away and extended her right hand. "Oh, by the way, I'm Suzie Wong."

"Pleased to meetcha," the girl clasped Suzie's hand and shook it, "Abby Ping."

Suzie blinked, "Abby Ping?"

"Yup."

Suzie dropped her hand, "Y-you wouldn't happen to know Kazu Shiota, would you?"

Abby's eyes perked up, "Know him? The guy saved my life!"

"He wha?"

"You see, I used to be very fat," Abby said. "The very same day I planned to kill myself, Kazu came and ate lunch with me. It was just a small thing, but it made a huge difference in my life. I'll never forget him for it."

"No way!" Suzie cried, "He-he did? What happened when you told him? Did you tell him he was your hero and stuff?"

"Oh, I never told him."

"You didn't, how come?"

"Kazu's not like that. He doesn't want to be known as a hero." Abby explained simply. "He was just there the right time. He did what no one else would do. Yeah, he saved me life. He's a lifesaver, not a hero. After he ate lunch with me and offered to take me out on a date, I decided to change. We're not an item, heck, we really weren't in the first place but he was there when I needed him. Thanks to Kazu, I can live again and I've never felt better. No wonder all the girls love him, he goes out of his way to make them feel good. I don't mind that we're not together anymore. He's probably helping some girl worse off than me. It's no prob, we still chat every now and then at school."

Suzie thought about her conversation with Kazu. When she told him he was her hero, he got all uneasy about it. He was so modest, so caring. He didn't want the attention of a hero and that made her love him even more.

"Hey, are you okay?"

"I was just thinking. You know, it's ironic that I ran into you. Kazu just told me about you the other day."

"Oh?"

"Yes. You see, I used to be bulimic. Iw as realeased yesterday from the hospital."

Abby gasped, "then why on Earth are you out here? Sheouldn't you be taking it easy?"

"I've been taking it easy in the hospital," Suzie groaned. "You're not the one to be saved by Kazu. He saved my life too. One night he took me out for pizza and I ate way more than I usually did and I already was sick. After I threw up, I collapsed. If Kazu wasn't there…I probably wouldn't' be here right now."

"Wow," Abby sighed. "Amazing."

"I'm with Kazu right now," Suzie said, "I'm getting a snow cone for him."

Abby was speechless and she finally said, "yeah, ironic that two people who's lives Kazu saved, would meet at a time like this, huh?" She laughed and shook her head. "Well, you're really lucky."

"I am."

"Hey, Abby, come on!" another skater girl cried.

"Yeah, be right here, guys!" she called back and turned to Suzie. "I've gotta jet. It was nice talking to you, Suzie. You take care of yourself, all right?" She skated back, waving at Suzie and joined her friends.

"Yeah, you too, Abby." Suzie turned and watched Abby skate away. Abby was right. Kazu didn't want to be known as a hero, just the great, cool, sexy guy he is. Suzie sighed. Abby let him go date new girls and move on and Suzie was rather reluctant to lose him. But she really wouldn't be losing him, would she? Kazu wouldn't leave her and he didn't leave Abby or the other girls. He kept in touch. Abby knew that Kazu wasn't a 'date-on-girl-only' type of guy. He romanced and befriended dozens of girls and let them know they were special. He came when Suzie needed him and sadly, she didn't' need him anymore. Her bulimia days were over and it was time to move on and let Kazu go. She couldn't keep him all to herself. It was just like Abby had told her about him seeing someone worse off than she was. What if there was a girl out there worse than Abby and Suzie? Maybe some girl needed him now. This mysterious, poor, unfortunately girl probably had a death in her family, or she could be dying herself. Who knew? Suzie loved Kazu, and whether it was enough to let him go, she was going to put that love to the test.

Slowly and carefully, Suzie skated to the snow cone shack, got a kiwi strawberry snow cone for Kazu and a cherry one for herself. After paying for the snow cones, she skated back to the bench Kazu and Lopmon were waiting for her. Kazu was leaning with his neck resting of the back of the bench when she arrived.

"Sorry if I kept you waiting," she said, holding out his snow cone.

Kazu sat up and grinned, "it's okay baby." He took his snow cone, "hey, guess what? I just saw my old friend Abby."

"Oh?"

"Yeah. She's doing fine." Kazu said and nodded, "She's looking good and has come a long way."

Suzie's heart became full, her chest heaved and she flung an arm around Kazu's neck and nearly pulled him off the bench as she nearly fell into pieces.

"Suzie, what's wrong?" Kazu asked.

"Nothing, Kazu." She whispered. "Nothing. Everything's just fine." She laughed and kissed his cheek. 'He has no idea that Abby's still here today thanks to him. And it doesn't even bother him. He's so…innocent.' Suzie bit into her snow cone and sat next to him. Suzie watched him eat his snow cone and offer nibbles to Lopmon. She let out a sigh.

'Now or never.' She thought somberly.

"Kazu, we have to talk," she said, trying to keep her voice firm.

"Sure, what's up?"

"I just want you to know that you're the nicest, coolest, sweetest guy I ever met."

"You've forgotten about sexy," he winked.

"Oh, how could anyone forget?" she asked, winking back. "You're just awesome. You've made a big impact on my life."

"You're not getting mushy on me now, are you?" he asked.

"Listen, I love you a lot. It's been great having you so close and seeing you and everything," she said, trying to keep her tears from running. Lopmon looked up in concern. "But…as hard as it's going to be, I think…I think we should start seeing other people."

Kazu almost dropped his snow cone. "You're serious?"

"Yeah. Hey, it's not you. It's not even me. It's, the other people in our lives and yet to come in our lives. Kazu, you've here when I needed a hand to guide me in the right direction, someone to make me quit my bulimia. Now that's over and I'm sure there's a girl out there worse off than me. I don't want to hog you all to myself when someone needs you. You come around at the right time. You did for Abby, and you did for me."

"You talked to Abby?" he asked.

"Yeah, when I got my snow cones. You made an impact on her life. Kazu, she would not be here if it weren't for you. You've made many girls happy and there's many girls out there that are sad and lonely. They need someone like you to lend them a hand. What if there's a girl with cancer or something? Kazu, you've been given a gift and you're wasting it on me."

"Don't' talk like that. I love spending time with you."

"I love being with you too," she said. "And I'm okay now. I am. There's a guy out there for me, I just have to wait for him. Hey, you said so yourself that a guy would date me. Remember?"

"Yeah, I did."

"I'm not angry, Kazu," Suzie whispered, squeezing her hand. "I'm doing the right thing. We can still have some time together once in a while. Right?"

"Sure," Kazu nodded.

Suzie stood up, "hey, it's been great. I'll never forget what you've done for me, Kazu. I'm sure that the other girls won't either." She laughed, "now go and make some sad girl happy!" she kissed his cheek, called to Lopmon and skated off.

"Coming," Lopmon said, jumping down. She waved at Kazu with her enormous ear and followed her partner.

"I love you, Kazu Shiota!" Suzie shouted as she skated out of the park. Kazu laughed, despite the feelings he had inside.

"Love you too, Suzie Wong," he sighed. He sat on the bench alone for a while, finishing his snow cone. He threw it away when he was done and stood up. He was sad, disappointed, surprised and also happy at the same time. He had fun with Suzie too. She wasn't like the others. It wasn't going to be the same with out her, even if they still could spend some time with each other. He just couldn't believe it was really over. He grew fond of the young, spirited girl. Still, he was somewhat glad she ended it so that he wouldn't have to break her little heart. Suzie was tougher than he gave her credit for, tougher than anyone, even her own brother gave her credit for.

He strapped on his helmet and skated away and then he heard a girl crying.

"Huh?"

Kazu followed the sobbing and found her sitting in the park, leaning against a tree. He came up to her.

"Hi. Why are you crying?"

The girl let out another sob and sniffed. "I've lost…my bracelet. My grandmother gave it to me before she passed away. I can't find it anywhere!"

Kazu grasped what Suzie had just told him. He really did show up when someone needed him.

"Don't worry," Kazu said with a grin, "I'll help you look for it."

The girl wiped her eyes, "Thanks."

****

When Suzie returned home, she found Henry getting ready for karate. He was practicing a few punches. She remembered what Kazu suggested and went to Henry.

"Hey, can I go with you to your sensei's?" she asked.

"Why?" he questioned.

She shrugged, "I don't know. It might be fun. Martial arts are a real self confidence builder. It's probably true because you've got more self confidence than anyone else I know."

He raised an eyebrow, "Suzie, you sure? Martial arts aren't as easy as it looks."

"Hey, I need the distraction. Can I at least go and watch? What can it hurt?"

"Come on, Henry," Terriermon said, "don't be such a stick in the mud."

"Terriermon!" Henry cried and Suzie giggled. He let out a sigh, "okay, I'll let you come with me. You might--"

Before he could finish his sentence, Suzie went to her room and came back in a tank-top and sweats.

"want to change." Henry finished with a groan. "Come on. I'll ask sensei to get you a uniform when we get there."

"All right!"

Suzie went with her brother to karate and learned a thing or two. She had no idea that it could be so much work, and fun too.

"Just don't beat up on any neighborhood kids," Henry advised, demonstrating her how to do a stance.

"I won't," Suzie said, 'except for Millie maybe' she grinned and forgot what Henry was showing her.

"Suzie, listen to me!"

"Oh, sorry!"

*****

The next day Suzie went to school and she heard Millie backbiting bout her to Ai. Suzie hid around the corner and eavesdropped.

"So, when is your friend coming?" Millie demanded. "Do they have to start teaching her at the hospital now? Hmm? Maybe she forgot how to think!"

"Shut up, Millie!" Ai cried, "For your information, Suzie was released on Saturday."

Millie giggled and walked away. Just as she turned the corner, Suzie--having what she learned from sensei the other day--dropped to the ground and kicked Millie hard in her heels, forcing her to trip and fall on her backside.

"Oops, sorry about that Mille!" Suzie said as she stood up, "you're already so low as it is, I didn't see you coming!" Suzie chuckled and joined Ai's side.

"I'll get you for this, Wong!" Millie cried.

"Whoa, where did you learn that?" Ai asked.

"Yesterday in karate class," Suzie replied.

"You take karate?" Ai asked, surprised.

"Yeah. I thought Henry would like some company."

"What else did you learn?"

"That best friends make the best defense," Suzie said and put her arm around her.

"Aww, Suzie…" Ai chuckled and put her arm around her too. "Yeah."

Suzie went to homeroom and her old crush, Chip Honda took his seat. His eye still looked a little green.

"Oooh, Kazu really made a number on him," she whispered to herself, "If it was Henry who paid him a visit, he'd be in the hospital still with a bunch of broken bones! Tee-hee!"

Chip looked at Suzie and smiled. She replied by giving him a raspberry and the pink eye. He quickly looked away. Suzie giggled to herself.

After homeroom, Suzie went to her math class, which she shared with Mako. When she got to her desk, she found a rose lying on top of it next to a folded piece of paper.

"Huh?" she said, picking up the folded piece of paper and unfolding it. It was a love not to her. It read:

Suzie,

I'm glad that you're out of the hospital. I've really missed you. I never got to tell you how wonderful I think you are and I want to get to know you a little more. I want to tell you that I really like you Suzie and I was hurt when I heard the news about your bulimia and ending up in the hospital. I was very scared for you but that doesn't matter now because you're back now. Is it okay with you if we do something this weekend?

Welcome Home,

Mako

Suzie gasped and felt tears in her eyes; tears of surprise, happiness and also regret. She had a crush on Chip, the sexiest but also most conceited guy in school. And all this time, right under her nose, Mako liked her, her best friend's brother. Kazu was right; she would find other guys. She didn't think it would happen this soon and never thought that Mako would want to date her.

"Hi, Suzie," Mako said, walking up to her desk.

Suzie smiled and hugged him quickly, taking him by surprise. "Yes, Friday's perfect, Mako! I'd love to!"

When she let go, Mako blushed, "Oh, good. Anything special you'd like to do?"

"Hmm," Suzie put her finger to her lips.

"We could go to the beach, Rollerblading in the park, heck, if you want to, Beelzemon can fly around the city!"

They both broke into laughter and Suzie touched his arm. "You're funny, Mako." Her hand slid down to his and gave it a slight squeeze, "I know, I've got that gift certificate from Rika. We can go have dinner."

"Yeah, that's great. What time?"

"Seven."

"Okay, cool. I'll call ya." He squeezed her hand in return, shaking it slightly and let go. Running his hand through his brown hair, he went to his seat, wanting to jump and holler She said yes!

When he got to his seat, he waved to her and she waved back. Suzie couldn't wait to give the news to Ai.

After the boring math assignment, Suzie waved at Mako again before heading out of the door to her locker, which she shared with Ai. Luckily, Ai was there getting the books she needed for her next class.

"Ai, guess what!" Suzie exclaimed.

"No homework?" Ai guessed with a grin.

"Even better!"

"Oh, did Chip do something stupid in your class?"

"No way! I've got a date!"

"I know," Ai said, "since you've been dating Kazu, all you had were dates."

"No, Kazu and I broke up."

"You what?" Ai dropped her book. "What happened, Suzie? Oh, you must feel horrible!"

"I'm okay, Ai. I had to do it."

"But I thought you two were so good together."

"Yes, we were, but we couldn't go on."

"Why'd you do it?"

"I met a girl that Kazu used to date. He saved her life like he saved mine. He was nice to her when no one else was and that's why I love him. That's why everyone loves him." She sighed, "it was hard,but I had to do it. I needed him when I was bulimic and now that I'm over that…it's time for us to move on. There's probably someone out there that's worse off than me, someone who needs him more than I do."

"Wow…so, can I have him then?"

"Ai!"

"Joking!" Ai laughed, "I won't unless he asks me. So who're you goin gwith?"

"Your brother!"

Ai continued to go through their locker, not acting in the least bit surprised. "Finally he worked up the nerve."

"Huh?"

"Isn't it obvious?" Ai asked, "Suzie, Mako's got the biggest crush on you."

"Well, he said that he liked me in this note…but a crush?"

"Yup."

"Since when? While I had a crush on Chip?"

"Way before that. Try the first time you slept over at my house."

"Your ninth birthday slumber party?!" she cried.

"Yeah," Ai giggled, "and he used to think girls had cooties. He didn't like the idea of so many girls staying at our house but then he saw you and…oh, Suzie, you should've seen the look on Mako's face! And when you left he was so bummed!"

"I can't believe this. All this time I thought I'd never get a guy and Mako's liked me since we were kids."

"Don't feel bad. I'm surprised you didn't pick up on anything. He's always so nice to you. He's nicer to you than he is to me and I'm his sister!"

"I didn't see him when I was in the hospital."

"But he was there," Ai insisted, "just not when you were awake. He came a lot. He left you flowers but he always forgot to put a note with them."

Suzie remembered the flowers. She always figured they were from Kazu.

Suzie looked back to the time she slept over at Ai's. She could vaguely picture Mako watching her as the girls were giggling and playing with dolls. Then when she went to brush her teeth, Mako was there…

FLASHBACK

"Oh, excuse me, I've got to brush my teeth." Suzie said.

"Hello," he said awkwardly, "I'm almost finished."

"That's okay," she said, stepping next to him to rinse her brush. "I'll just brush them now."

"Sure," he gave her some room. Suzie looked up at him and noticed he was blushing big time. He glanced at her a few times and when she caught that he was looking at her, he quickly looked away. It was the cutest thing. Suzie finished brushing her teeth first and he offered her a towel to wipe her mouth on.

"Goodnight, Mako," she said sweetly.

Mako blushed, blinked and turned his gaze, "'Nite, Suzie."

As she walked out of the bathroom, Mako watched. Through the whole night, Mako would sometimes walk by the room of sleeping girls and just watch Suzie sleep.

End Flashback

"Hello, Suzie, are you there?" Ai asked, tapping her best friend's forehead. "Earth to Suzie…"

Suzie blinked, "Oh, sorry, Ai."

"Where were you just now?"

"I'll talk to you later," Suzie said and left for her next class.

****

After lunch, Millie went to throw up. But as she was kneeling in front of the toilet, she paused. She remembered what Suzie had told her when she went to see her:

"I've lost my reasons to stay bulimic, when are you going to lose yours?"

Millie pondered that. What were her reasons? She couldn't remember them anymore. Was it so everyone would love her? Think that she was perfect? She had been bulimic longer than Suzie but more people loved her than Millie. Many people envied and hated Millie. There was no point to it anymore. She realized Kazu was right. She should've been in the hospital and not Suzie. Someday Millie might be and she knew for sure that no one would come and visit her. After how rude she has been, she doesn't deserve any. It was good of Suzie to trip her into reality.

Millie stood up and left the stall. 'What the hell is wrong with me?' she demanded herself mentally.

She walked out of the bathroom, looking for Suzie. She had to apologize. She found her walking out of the lunchroom with Ai. When Suzie saw her coming up, she sighed and rolled her eyes.

"Hi, Suzie," Millie whispered.

"Oh, what do you want, Millie?" Suzie demanded.

"You have every right to be mad at me."

"Look, Millie," Ai said, "you've been a jerk to everyone. So why are you trying to chum up to Suzie now?"

Millie ignored Ai's remark and continued to talk. "Suzie, I want to apologize for everything. There's no excuse. I deserved all I got. I don't ever expect to be forgiven, I just want you to know that I'm truly sorry."

Suzie searched Millie's face, trying to find signs of falsehood. But when she saw the tears in Millie's eyes, she knew that she was sincere. "Apology accepted."

Millie gasped in surprise, "really?"

Ai gawked at her best friend as if she had just blurted a big secret about her.

Suzie nodded, "yeah. I forgive you."

"Thanks, Suzie. So, can we just put all the junk behind us and move on?"

"Absolutely. It's all in the past."

"Friends?" She put her hand out.

"Friends," Suzie confirmed and grasped her hand with Millie's, "oh, and sorry for…what I did when you visited me the other day."

"Hey, I had it coming."

"Why don't we start going to the bulimia rehab together?" Suzie questioned, "No point in us going along."

Millie smiled, but it wasn't her usual snotty smile. It looked pretty warm and pleasant. "I'd like that, Suzie. Very much."

Ai patted Millie's shoulder, "and I forgive you too, Millie."

"Thanks."

The girls stood around, unable to say anything more, just grinning at each other when Chip walked over to them.

"Hey, Suzie," he began, "if you're free this weekend you wanna--"

Suzie's eyes widened. She couldn't believe Chip was now starting to ask her out. When she was crushing on him, she'd shout out yes before he finished. Now she just wasn't sure what to say. She looked at him in disgust. If a guy had to be beaten into a pulp by Black War Kazumon just so he'd get some sense, it wasn't worth it.

Before Suzie could reply, Millie did so for her.

"Get lost, Honda!" Millie snarled, pushing her boyfriend away. "Suzie's way too good for you! And you know what? So am I! We're through, buster!"

"But, Millie--"

"Don't you 'but Millie' me! I mean it!" she cried and slapped him across the face, which was still quite sore from being pummeled from Kazu.

Chip looked back in shock and walked back. Suzie found a remark.

"Hey, Chip--my brother wants to have a word with you in the park!" she said, "if you think you're a real man, you'll show up! And if you don't, he'll come to you!"

Chip gulped and left them alone. He was not the stud he thought he was anymore.

Millie, Suzie and Ai giggled as he walked away. When they got over their laugh attack, they joined arms and walked off while there was time left of lunch.

****

Friday Night--Suzie's date with Mako

Suzie couldn't wait until her date with Mako. She knew it was going to be just great. Because it was a fancy restaurant, Suzie picked out her best outfit. It was a deep dark pink, satin Chinese dress with a slit in the back that came to her knee pit. Buttoning up the dress, Lopmon jumped onto her dresser.

"You look good in that dress, Suzie. Is it new?"

"No. I just haven't worn it in a while." She replied as she picked up two black hair sticks. Unfortunately, her hair was too short to hold them. "Darn it! They stay in Jaarin's hair, how come they won't stay in mine?" She gave up and put a dragonfly hairpin in her hair instead.

Suzie picked up her pink lipstick and applied it to her lips. As she smacked her lips, Lopmon mimicked her action. This cute action made Suzie chuckle.

The doorbell rang. Henry checked on her sister and seeing she was still getting ready, he went to answer it. He opened the door to see Mako wearing black slacks, a blue short sleeve dress shirt and a red tie. He held a single red rose. His brown hair was combed neatly. Of course, he always had it combed neatly. He cleared his throat.

"Hi, Henry."

"Hey. Suzie's almost ready," Henry said, opening the door wide for him to walk in. "Come on in."

"Thanks," Mako said, entering the room. Henry closed the door. He talked to Henry, Mr and Mrs. Wong while Suzie continued to get ready.

After spraying on some light scented fragrance, Suzie put gum, her lipstick, some change, and the gift certificate in a hand purse. Already inside was her bunny puppet. Feeling confident, a feeling she had not felt in ages, she stepped out to meet her date.

"Hi, Mako," Suzie said.

Mako felt warmth in his cheeks and for a short moment he was unable to address her. She just looked so beautiful to him. He felt his heart race. But to him, in his eyes, Suzie always looked beautiful. Even when she was lying helplessly in the hospital, he still found her beautiful. Sick and weak, yes, but he was always able to find beauty in the youngest Wong girl. He was always used to seeing her as the most beautiful girl in the world, that he could see her as nothing else. It wasn't because she always acted cute and was indeed cute. It wasn't because his sister and her were best friends. He loved her. It was simple as that. And he didn't care what anyone else thought of her.

Finding courage to move, he stepped toward her. "You look beautiful, Suzie." His voice was small, yet heavy with affection and sincerity. "Here, is for you." He handed her the rose, which she sniffed immediately.

"Thank you, Mako," she said.

"Here, honey," Mrs. Wong said, "I'll put that in a vase for you."

"Okay. Be careful with it."

"I will."

"Have fun you two," said Henry.

"But not too much fun," wisecracked his partner.

"Terriermon!"

"What? They can't have too much fun with me, you know."

Henry groaned and Suzie chuckled. She took her date's arm and Mr. Wong opened the door for them.

"Be home by 10:00," he instructed.

"I will."

They stepped out and were welcomed by a cool breeze. In moments of silence and conversation, they journeyed to the restaurant. Mako still had trouble this was happening. It was like a dream. He also felt like he was being watched. He glanced around but there was no one around but he and his crush, also his date, and a few other couples nearby.

A few stores down, they could hear the sentimental music being played. Mako opened the door for her and they walked in. It was very nice inside. The music was indeed romantic and the lighting was dim, inviting. They approached the hostess.

"Hello," Suzie said, pulling out her gift certificate, "I have this gift certificate for a free dinner for two."

The hostess smiled, "you must be Suzie. Mrs. Nonaka had a special table reserved for you. Right this way."

The couple followed the hostess to their table. It was separate from other tables, private. There were candles and a bottle of sparkling grape juice chilling in a bucket of ice. Suzie's mouth become a perfect round 'O'

"Oooooh."

"Mrs. Nonaka sure knows how to treat people," Mako just had to say, blinking.

Suzie somehow felt bad, being pampered like this. She hardly knew Mrs. Nonaka. She was a nice lady, really, but this attention was quite suffocating. Mrs. Nonaka probably thought that Suzie was still seeing Kazu when she gave this to her too. That had to be why she put all the trouble to making it so, all out romantic. Suzie could think nothing more at that moment than to give Mrs. Nonaka very long and meaningful 'thank you' note.

Mako seated Suzie in her chair and even put her napkin in her lap for her, like a gentleman. He got a whiff of her perfume and froze. He forgot how to stand up straight. Suzie put her hand to his shoulder, bringing him back to reality. He blushed and went to the seat across from her.

"Your server will be with you in a moment," the hostess said.

"Thank you," the dining couple said in unison.

They perused their menus, asking each other what they were going to order. It was a hard decision, even if it was free. Suzie picked up her water glass and sipped. Seeing movement, Mako pulled down his menu and watched her. She was even graceful, lovely when drinking water. Her eyes closed, mouth slightly open. Even if they had gone jogging in the park and she stopped to chug water and it was dripping down her mouth, he'd still be memorized. Suzie was everything to him. When Suzie put down her glass, he held his menu over his face before she noticed that he was watching her.

'Gotta quit staring,' he thought to himself. 'She's going to think I'm a dork! Just pick something, moron!'

Their server came and asked for their orders. Suzie ordered first.

"I'll have the baked salmon with a side salad, please."

"Yes ma'am." The waiter said. "And for you, sir?"

"Ah!" Mako gasped, surprised. "Oh, I'll have theeeee," he looked at his menu and stated the first thing he saw, "uh, T-bone steak with baked potato."

He jotted it down and took the menus.

"Oh, when you bring out our meals," Suzie said, "Can you bring some desert menus too?"

"Certainly," the waiter said and left.

Mako smiled at Suzie, "got your appetite back?"

Suzie nodded. "Yeah. I'm eating a lot better."

"That's good."

"Well, I'm not fully recovered yet," Suzie admitted, "if I eat too much too fast, I get queasy a bit. I have to remember to take it slowly. Step by step."

"Hey, you're doing good so far," Mako told her, folding his hand over hers without thinking. "Just keep doing what you're doing."

"I know," Suzie said.

Mako realized that he was touching her and he blushed. He was just touching her hand but he was still nervous about it. Suzie was everything he dreamed of and he didn't want to blow it. He didn't want to make her think that he was moving to fast. But when she spoke next, he had a feeling that he wasn't.

"Care to dance?" she asked.

"Huh?"

Suzie raised her voice a little, "we can dance while our meals are being cooked. Come on, Mako. Dance with me. I promise, if you step on my feet, I won't tell anyone." She winked, hoping to get him to agree.

He grinned, stood up and went to her side. "Then let's dance," he pulled out her chair, took her by the hand and she stood. Hand in hand, they stepped away from the table. Trying to hide his nervousness, Mako put his hand on her side. His arm was stiff. Suzie put her left hand on his right shoulder and they began to dance. They started out a bit rigid and they almost bumped into the table. Enventually, they loosened up and danced more flowingly. Suzie reached her arm across Mako's back, so her hand was now between his shoulder blades. This brought her closer to Mako and he immediately put his arm around the small of her back, bringing her closer to him. They were now eye to eye and did not dare look away. Suzie was lost in Mako's deep brown eyes just as he was in her purple ones. Mako wanted to pinch himself. He was certain he had to be dreaming.

But it wasn't a dream. It was real. He was in fact dancing with the girl of his dreams.

After dancing for some time, there was a sudden flash. It tore them from each other's eyes and they looked away. One of the employees was holding a camera.

"Sorry," he said, "but Mrs. Nonaka asked for a few photos."

'Figures,' Suzie thought. "That's all right."

The waiter arrived with their dinners and two desert menus. He poured the sparkling grape juice into two long-stemmed glasses.

"Enjoy your meal."

"Thank you."

The waiter left them to their dinners. Suzie picked up her glass. "Is it all right if we have a toast?"

"Sure." He picked up his own. "What do we drink to?"

"To life. Adventure. Friends. Family." She sighed, "Oh, that sounded cheesy, didn't it?"

Mako shook his head. "No, that's wonderful. I'll drink to that." He clicked his glass with hers and smiling, they took a sip and began their dinner. Time to time, Mako paused to watch her eat. She wasn't eating fast like she used to. Suzie was cutting her salmon into small portions and eating it bit by bit. Slowly. Slowly. She took time to enjoy her meal, to savor it. It was something she took for granted. She was going to savor every bite, just as she was going to savor each moment of her life. Because she found out how important and wonderful life really was.

Suzie ate every bite of her salad and baked salmon. She let out a sight. "Oh, that was delicious!"

"I guess we won't need a doggy bag," Mako said, biting into the remaining strip of his steak. He chuckled, "poor Impmon."

Suzie picked up her desert menu. "Oh, these all look so good. Oooh! Cheesecake! Their cheesecakes look huge. You want to share one with me?"

"Okay."

They flagged their waiter and ordered a cherry covered cheesecake. It was a rather large piece and Suzie was glad that Mako agreed to help her eat it. Sometimes, they even fed each other bites. The wait staff took a few more pictures. They had another dance and decided to call it a night. Even if the meal was free, Mako left a tip.

"I'm going to the ladies' room to freshen up," Suzie announced, "and I really do mean freshen up."

"What made you think I would doubt you, Suzie?" he questioned, "I know you're not bulimic anymore and you'll never be again."

Suzie smiled, touched by his statement. She excused herself and went to the restroom to apply another layer of lipstick. She came back out putting in a stick of gum into her mouth.

The air had a cold chill and when Suzie shivered, Mako immediately put his arm around her.

"I should've brought a jacket or a shawl or something," she muttered.

"No, I should've brought my jacket," Mako said. "Then I can put it around your shoulders."

"You're quite the gentleman, aren't you?" Suzie teased.

Mako blushed slightly. Suzie giggled brightly. She breathed in the air and they walked to her house. Mako looked around. He got that feeling that he was being watched again. He heard something.

They reached her door. It was time to say goodnight but Mako could not find the words. He didn't want the date to end. It wasn't ten o'clock yet. They still had fifteen minutes. Suzie was the first to say something.

"Well, goodnight, Mako," she said. "Thank you. I had a wonderful time."

"Me too. Night."

She smiled and turned for her door. Mako grabbed her arm. "Suzie. Wait."

"Yes?"

"I uh…have something more to say."

"Yes?"

He swallowed, "I uh, well, always cared for you. I want you to know I wasn't hurt when you started to like Chip, I should've made a move even sooner. Then I found out what happened, you finding out about him and Millie. I got the nerve to ask you out but then…you went on a date with Kenta and Kazu. You and Kazu became an item so I…backed away. I know I'm not as smooth and exciting as he is, but I don't think he feels about you the way I do, Suzie. No one can. Suzie…I love you. I've loved you since we were kids."

"Mako…"

"When you became best friends with my sister, I was happy. Because I got to see you more. I don't think she told you this, but sometimes I even nagged her to ask you to stay over some times. And when you went out to do girl stuff, I even asked to come along."

"That's so sweet."

Mako was now quiet. They stood in silence. Mako wanted to kiss her but didn't want her to think she was coming on too strong. She'd tell Ai and Ai would give him an earful not to see her best friend again and wouldn't let Beezlemon take him out for night rides for a week.

Mako got that feeling he was being watched. Maybe Ai was spying on him, making sure he didn't do anything stupid. She probably sent Beezlemon to keep an eye on him.

Suzie got the impression that he wanted to kiss her but was still making a decision about it. She decided to help him out a bit and took her bunny puppet out of her purse and put it on.

"If you want to give Suzie a kiss," she said out of the corner of her mouth, "it's okay with Suzie!"

Mako smiled, a bit surprised. Suzie took the initiative and kissed him next to his mouth. This gave him the courage to kiss back. He put an arm around her and kissed her fully on the lips. He became so full of emotion he thought he'd float away like a hot air balloon. They parted, breathless and looked into each other's eyes.

"Goodnight, Suzie."

"Goodnight, Mako."

"I'll call you."

"Sure," Suzie opened the door, waved to him and stepped inside.

****

When Mako returned home, he saw his sister watching TV with a fast asleep Impmon on her lap.

"How was your date?" Ai asked, "if you did something stupid in front of my best friend--"

"Ai, calm down," Mako said, "it went just fine. Speaking of which, you didn't happen to go out on a night ride with Beelzemon did you?"

"What makes you say that?"

"You were spying on me, weren't you?"

"Of couse not. Impmon's asleep. We've been here the whole night. You're paranoid."

"Did someone say my name?" Impmon questioned sleepily.

"Impmon, did you do any flying tonight?"

"I can't fly," he answered.

"I mean, digivolving to Beelzemon and flying."

"Nope. I've been waiting for you." He yawned and stretched, "say, where's my doggy bag?"

"Sorry, pal. No doggy bag."

"You didn't save anything for me?" Impmon demanded, "how can I digivolve and protect yous two if ya don't bring me anything to eat?"

"I guess that steak was just too good."

"Steak? I love steak! I can't believe you didn't bring me some leftovers." Impmon jumped too the floor. "What kinda partnah are ya?"

"It's okay, Impmon. We have plenty of stuff in the fridge."

"It's not the same!" Impmon wailed and ran to Ai's room.

"I think on your next date with Suzie," Ai said, "you should bring Impmon with you."

"Yeah," Mako grinned and walked to his room. He stopped at Ai's and knocked on the door. "Come on, Impmon, we're partners."

"Partnahs don't let each other starve!" Impmon cried.

"He'll be over it in the morning."

"No I won't!" Impmon yelled. "I'll never forget this, Mako! No more night rides for a week!"

"You can't do that!"

"Yes I can! How am I supposed to digivolve to Beelzemon if I have no energy? C'mon, work with me here."

Mako groaned and went to his room. Ai was cracking up. Not only did her brother have a good night, she did too.

****

Suzie pulled the covers up to her chin, the night's events fresh in her brain. Lopmon was asleep at the foot of her bed. She'll never take life granted again. Suzie fell into a deep and wonderful slumber, filled with pleasant dreams.

THE END

Author's Note: This fanfic is dedicated to anyone with a eating a disorder or had one in the past. This fanfic was rather difficult for me to write because I've had one myself (anorexia, more than once). When I started this fanfic, I didn't mean for it to be this long, this dramatic. It just came out that way and I flowed with it. Thank you for reviewing and reading and…just thanks!

Love, GameGirl