Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ HZ-7000 ❯ Trapped ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

ADVENTURE TWO
 
Fighting terrorists was not the only major function for the army. Sometimes they sought out to rescue the lives of those who were in danger… and sometimes, the people who were in danger were their own fellow soldiers…
 
Sometimes, the dangers weren't just in their own world, but even the Digital-World as well, and it was a good thing that the army's technology could also teleport their vehicles to and from the worlds as well…
 
 
Today, somewhere in the Digital-world, two men, who were both brothers who served in the army together, were trapped in a cave in a baron wasteland. One of them looked pale, and yucky. He was lying on the ground wrapped in a blanket, and groaning endlessly.
 
“Easy, Alan…” said his older brother, “You need your rest.”
 
Alan looked up at him, “John, let's face it…” he cried. “We'll never get out of here. Not alive, anyway...”
 
John hushed his brother, “Yes we will, Alan. Someone's going to find us I know it.”
 
Just then, the cave began to rumble and ground trembled at the sound of heavy-footsteps. “Oh no!” cried Alan, “Not again! I can't stand it anymore…”
 
“Shh, Alan…” piped John, “We'll be safe as long as we stay in the cave. Whatever you do, don't make a sound.”
 
The reason they were forced to stay in the cave was because, there, right at the entrance, a huge snarling Digimon, in the shape of a monstrous dinosaur was gazing in at them and snarling angrily. No matter how scary it looked, it was too big to even fit its head inside…
 
The two men were safe, for now.
 
 
Meanwhile, back at the base on the island in the real-world…
 
Daizo was getting worried about one of the patrol ships. They had been trying to contact its crew all day, and still got no reply. “Try again Lt. Nelson, and use a more powerful beam this time.”
 
Nelson tried the radio again as he was told. “HZ-2000, this is base-control. Please respond…”
 
The only noise he could hear was a long bleep. “Still nothing, General…” replied Nelson. “All I'm getting is the emergency distress signal, and it's still coming from the Monotane-Wasteland in the Digital-World.”
 
Daizo had had his fill, “Lieutenant… send for Davis Motomiya at once. Have HZ-7000 ready for immediate launch, and Digital-warp.”
 
“Yes, Sir…”
 
 
Davis and his crew were off duty, and Davis and Veemon were at Nami's beach house near the shoreline on the island, away from the loud noises of the base. Nami and Veemon were dancing and bopping around to a new CD that Nami had gotten, while Davis was only sitting in a chair tapping his toe to the beat.
 
“Come on, Davis… try it” Nami asked him again.
 
“No thanks…” Davis answered, “It may be the rage for you giddy army girls, but it's not for me.”
 
Even Veemon was enjoying himself doing the twist. “I never knew my body could bend thish way before…”
 
Davis was never really much of a dancer, and besides, ever since he gave up romance there was no point for him to learn. Besides… watching Nami dance like that reminded him of Kari. She looked so much like her… and sounded like her as well.
 
He remembered the time the girls' dance class got to watch Davis' basketball team play TK's... and he lost! Not to mention Kari cheered more for TK than him… that really angered him.
 
Still, that was all behind him now. He hadn't seen or spoken to Kari, or his friends, or anyone he once knew from his old life in over five years, and he pretty much planned to keep it that way…
 
Davis Motomiya is believed to be dead… and he must let the world think that he IS dead until he can find a way to conquer the emptiness that dwells within him, and reclaim a normal life that he desires.
 
 
The music stopped, and Nami fell onto the sofa. “Whew… it certainly is tiring.” She panted. Just then, her house-phone rang, “Get that, would you Davis?”
 
Davis answered the Phone, “Colonel Motomiya here…”
 
It was Daizo, asking him and the others to report to base at once. They were about to set off on another mission…
 
 
Once at the tower, Daizo gave them the brief. “As far as I can tell, we've been out of contact with HZ-2000 for almost half a day now.”
 
Davis viewed the map of the Digital-World, “I recognize that area, it's the Monotane-Wastelands…”
 
Daizo nodded, and explained about the emergency-beep, “As you know, it's an automatic signal that activates right at the point of danger. Professor Mecha is already aboard HZ-7000 now. How soon can you be ready for take off…?”
 
Davis, Veemon, and Nami estimated about an hour… and exactly one hour later, they were aboard the ship, and waiting for their clearance. “HZ-7000 to tower…” Davis said into the radio. “Are we clear to go…”
 
“Condition green… good luck 7000.” answered Nelson.
 
The engines roared to life and the copter-blades began to spin. POW, the rocket thrusters fired, sending the ship going faster and faster down a long rail-track which lead to the edge of the island… and POW… right up into the sky.
 
Then the ship made a hard turn, right towards the specially-made Digital-Gate. Davis input the access-codes, and his D3 glowed. “DIGI PORT… OPEN…!” and WHOOSH… the ship vanished…
 
It was a really wild ride through the vortex, but they finally emerged in the skies of the Digital world. Unfortunately, the portal they came through was the only one the army had set up; big enough for vehicles. So unlike using televisions to pop up almost anywhere you wanted, all HZ-Army vehicles only appeared in one place, over the oceans…
 
They couldn't be any further away from the wastelands. Still, they would make it, in about a day or so traveling at maximum safe cruise, as the Digital world was much larger than the real world.
 
“This is the part that gets me the most rattled…” Davis said. “We've set course for the Monotane region, and now we just have to wait.”
 
Nami sighed, “That's the trouble with you Davis, is you're strictly an action-man.”
 
“Well he'sh not the only one…” Veemon said.
 
Mecha urged the boys to calm down, “My guess is, there'll have plenty of action to deal with when we arrive.”
 
Nami also wondered how the crew of HZ-2000 were holding up. Davis explained there were only two members, “Captain John Tracy, and his younger brother Lt. Alan, both were training for the space program and decided to get some military experience.”
 
“I wonder how those boys are making out.”
 
 
The Tracy brothers weren't holding up so well. Alan was looking really bad, and he needed medical attention fast. John didn't know how to help his brother, especially with that Digimon outside.
 
 
Mecha let out a huge yawn, “Well… it's getting late. I don't know about the rest of you but I'm going to bed.”
 
“Yes I'm going too.” Nami said. “I'm just tired.
 
Davis and Veemon felt a little restless, “I think we'll stay up a while.”
 
Nami and Mecha went off to their rooms, and Davis was suddenly starring at his faded reflection on the windows. “What are you looking at, Davish?” Veemon asked.
 
“Myself…” Davis said. “Just look at me…”
 
He kept gazing at all the medals, pins, and rank ribbons on his uniform. It was hard to believe that years ago he was just a kid who barely had it made. Then he became the best Digi Destined in the world, and now he was a proud military officer.
 
The weirdest thing was, he and Veemon ended up in the military by accident; being the only survivors of that plane crash years ago and washing up on the island. “Still…what's done is done.”
 
Veemon knew how Davis felt. Sometimes he too wished they could just go back to their old lives in Japan… if you could call it a life, having TK and Kari interfere with Davis' life and force him to go on dates with strange women just to let go of Kari…?
 
He sighed softly, “If only thingsh were different…”
 
 
By midday the next day…
 
General Daizo was worried again. “HZ-7000 should have contacted well over an hour ago.” he grumbled, “How many calls have you made, Lieutenant…?”
 
“About five, General.” said Nelson. “All I've gotten is static. You don't suppose--”
 
“We don't suppose anything, Lieutenant.” replied Daizo. “I know what you're thinking, that 7000 has met the same fate as 2000, but we can't just--”
 
While he was speaking, Davis called in on the radio. “HZ-7000 to base HZ-7000 to base...”
 
“About time…” Daizo grunted.
 
Nelson spoke with Davis who reported that they were approaching the rescue zone. “We did just have a slight malfunction in our cross-dimensional communications system but we've already corrected it.”
 
“Roger, Davis…” said Nelson. “Proceed with caution on your mission, and report back on anything suspicious you may find.”
 
“And tell him from me… No heroics!” snapped Daizo.
 
“Oh, and, Davis… a message from you from the General…”
 
Davis could already guess what it was, “No heroics I suppose?” he cheekily remarked. “Tell the General I'll be a good boy. Over and out…!
 
Daizo felt really stupid.
 
“Well, sir… they seem to be alright.”
 
“Of course they are…” Daizo snapped. “Davis Motomiya is the best pilot the army's got.”
 
“Yes, Sir.”
 
“And Lieutenant…!”
 
“Yes, Sir…?”
 
“And you're the best Lieutenant I've got.”
 
“Yes, Sir.”
 
 
Remaining in free-float over the distress-zone, the crew of the ship was trying to locate HZ-2000, as well as John or Alan, Tracy… but there was no sign of them on any tracking system.
 
“Well there's only one option…” Davis said. “Veemon, Nami, and I will head down in the mini-pod, and Professor, you continue to scan from up here.”
 
“Roger Davis… but for Pete-sake, you guys be careful down there.”
 
 
As Davis and team boarded the pod, “The problem with Mecha is that he worries too much.” Nami said.
 
“At leasht, he'sh being conshiderate.” said Veemon.
 
“Okay that's quite enough…” Davis said, “We've got a job to do here, let's get on with it…”
 
The pod was launched and the team was on its way down below. Nami felt a little chilly as if something really bad was about to happen. Then suddenly… “Look there…”
 
Davis and Veemon could see what she was pointing at. It was HZ-2000, or rather what was left of it-- it was in such a sorry state, “Gee… I don't think anyone could've shurvived a crash that hard…” said Veemon.
 
Davis didn't think so either, but he wasn't willing to give up… but suddenly. BAM! “WHOA…!” everyone cried. “What was that…?” Davis asked.
 
BAM!
 
Something was whacking at their pod, and they were heading for a not so smooth, but safe landing. “What was that…?” Nami asked.
 
“I don't know, but I intend to find out…” Davis said. “Break out the hover-boards… we're stepping' out.”
 
The outside lands were even scarier than the atmosphere. Canyons of razor-sharp rocks. Giant craters… even explosive out-gassings. “Boy… this place gives me the creeps.” cried Nami.
 
“Yeah… I shtill have nightmares from all the hardshipsh Davish and I--”
 
“Shh… Veemon!” Davis hushed, “Listen! Anyone hear that…?”
 
Nami and Veemon listened hard and they could hear a faint rumbling sound, which grew larger and larger as it drew nearer. “Sounds like a data-storm's coming.” Davis said.
 
The rumbling grew even stronger, and they crew was too far away from the pod. “Shay… look there.” cried Veemon, “It'sh a cave…”
 
“Good thinking Veemon…” said Davis “Come on… we'll be safer in there.”
 
The team dashed on their hover-boards straight into the cave, and strangely the rumbling had passed, but there seemed to be another problem. “Davis…!” cried Nami as she point at a spooky shadow around the corner…
 
Davis pulled out his gun…
 
“Don't shoot, Davis. Don't shoot…” called a familiar voice, and then the man came from around the wall.
 
“Captain John Tracy.” Exclaimed Davis, then he and John saluted at each other. “I'm glad it's you, but where's Alan?”
 
“Ah, he's pretty sick…” answered John. “But what happened? How did you all know we were in this cave…?”
 
Nami explained that they didn't know a thing, “Something hit us in our pod, and we ran here for shelter.”
 
John nodded, and explained that the same thing happened to him and Alan, “But we weren't so lucky… our ship crashed and was busted up.” he said. “I hate to tell you this, folks… but you've just walked right into a trap.”
 
The others were all confused and wondered what he meant. “Just look at the cave entrance and you'll see why…”
 
Davis and his team peered at the entrance and saw the huge Digimon monster gazing at them and snarling angrily. Still, there was nothing he could do to them, but now they were all trapped in the cave.
 
 
Nami brought along her medical-bag and was already examining poor Alan.
 
“Boy, I'm sure glad we've got a doctor here…” said John, “And she's pretty too.”
 
Davis laughed softly, “Yeah… she reminds me of someone I once knew…” but then he quickly realized what he was saying, “Uh, er… I mean… Alan's going to be just fine.”
 
Veemon asked about the large Digimon, but John couldn't tell them very much, “But that's what hit you in the pod. That thing's got a neck as high as a skyscraper.”
 
Davis tried his D3, and he got something…
 
(DIGIMON ANYLYZAR)
 
Brachiomon: An Ultimate level. His long neck can reach as high as a high rise, and his “QUICK-QUAKE” can send a wave of Earthquakes right across any terrain.
 
This wasn't good, it meant that Ex-Veemon wouldn't stand a chance against him, and Veemon was sort of looking forward to a good fight.
 
Nami put her tools back in her bag. “Well I gave Alan something to relieve the pain for the moment…” she said, “But we really have to get him back to the ship.”
 
John shook his head assuring the team that even if they could leave the cave, “What's to say the pod will still be in one piece.”
 
Suddenly Veemon looked out the entrance of the cave, “Uh oh… you better look at thish.”
 
Davis and John rushed to the entrance and they spotted Brachiomon sniffing at the pod fifty yards away. Davis really began to feel nervous, “Look as much as you like baby, just don't hurt it.”
 
John knew how Davis felt, “To think, he could crush it just like a grape.”
 
Brachiomon didn't crush it, but Davis wasn't about to take chances. He told Nami to contact Mecha and tell him to stay in free-float. “If that brute destroyed 7000 it would be our last hope gone; there aren't any TV-portals in this area to teleport.”
 
Nami tried to contact the ship, but the signal couldn't breakthrough due to interference from the storms in the wastelands, that or the crash had upset the radios.
 
 
Mecha was also trying to raise the crew, “Calling Davis in mini-pod… can you hear me?” but once again he got no response. So he contacted base instead…
 
 
“Calling Base-control… Professor Mecha here...
 
He explained to Daizo that he wasn't having any luck at contacting Davis and the others. “Well, all you can do is remain on standby.” Daizo said, but Mecha didn't plan it that way, “Nope… I'm going after them.”
 
“Now Professor Mecha… you know the regulations.” snapped Daizo.
 
“Ah-ah… don't you give me that General Daizo.” Protested Mecha, and he began to ride on Daizo's nerves with the stories of how he himself had disobeyed regulations. “Okay, okay… do as you want…” Daizo said. “But… off the record, I know nothing of it.”
 
 
So Mecha left the nav-bay, and took over the controls, and headed down to the wastelands. He touched down just a little ways off from the cave, and went out on his hover board.
 
“Hmm… mighty strange.” he said to himself. “There's no sign of Davis, or anyone. Still… I got the strange feeling I'm being watched.” He looked all round him, and then realized he was face-to-face with Brachiomon…
 
“WH-A-A-A…!” and he took off as fast as his board could carry him, right across the lands with the snarling Digimon chasing him and chomping those huge teeth. “Get back! Back you ugly brute…!”
 
He could see a cave up ahead, and dashed in for shelter. “Who's there…?” Davis shouted as he got out his gun…
 
“Oh, heh, heh… hiya, folks…” Mecha laughed nervously. “…Just thought I'd drop down to see if everyone's okay.”
 
Davis sighed. This posed as a dilemma, now that everyone was trapped in the cave, and HZ-7000 was now in the area where Brachiomon could get at it. Still it helped him devise a plan…
 
“Okay… everyone listen up, this is what we'll do.”
 
Davis explained that his plan was to try and sneak past the monster, get into the mini-pod which he could then use to drive Brachiomon away. This would give everyone else the chance to sneak onto 7000 to help Alan. “Now, it should get dark in a few more hours… that's when I'll get my best chance.”
 
With that settled, everyone decided to rest up a little, and in a few hours time, Davis was ready to make his move while Brachiomon was sound asleep. John was going to cover Davis using his ray-gun to distract Brachiomon if he woke up…
 
Ex-Veemon was there for extra back up support.
 
“Okay… here I go.” Davis spoke softly, and he slowly crept out of the cave and side-stepped along the steep rocks; the quietest way without waking Brachiomon. Nami was glad she was watching after Alan, she couldn't bear to see Davis just rushing into danger like that…
 
Ex-Veemon sure wished Davis had taken him along, but he trusted Davis with his Digital-life, and went along with the orders.
 
Suddenly… there was trouble, as Davis knocked a stone down the slope, and the noise woke Brachiomon from his sleep. “Uh oh…” Davis hid out of sight behind the ridge, and John and Ex-Veemon got ready to assist.
 
Davis peered round the bend and tried to move forward, but he slipped, and crashed down the mountainside, “D-ARGH…!” he tried to get up, but couldn't. “My leg…!” he groaned, “I think I've sprained my leg…!”
 
Brachiomon heard Davis' groaning and began to stomp his way over towards him, and Davis still couldn't move. John and Ex-Veemon took to the skies. “Try to get in closer…” John said.
 
“Okay, here goes…”
 
They soared nearer towards Brachiomon who was already making the ground quake strong enough to send many boulders rolling down the slopes. “VEE-LASER…!” cried Ex-Veemon as he blasted the boulders into harmless pebbles, and John fired his ray-gun directly towards Brachiomon's eyes blinding him madly.
 
The huge monster growled in pain as he shut his eyes tightly as John continued to blast at him. Eventually he the monster ran away to avoid being blinded by anymore ray-blasts.
 
“Nami… Professor…” John called down, “You guys get Alan onto the ship. We'll go get Davis.”
 
Before long, HZ-7000 was on its way back to the gateway leading to the real world. Alan was resting in the medical-room, and Davis; Nami put a small brace round his foot, and assured him he only need a week or two for the sprain to heal.
 
“Man, I sure feel pretty silly with this brace on my leg.” He sighed, “Some hero I turned out to be. John and Veemon should get the medals this time.”
 
John and Veemon assured Davis all they wanted was to get home. As for Professor Mecha, “All I got to look forward to is a lecture from General Daizo.”
 
Everyone else shared a laugh.