Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ HZ-7000 ❯ Part one: Things change ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

FINAL ADVENTURE
 
(Part One)
 
A couple of years had passed, and Davis was almost thirty years-old. The proud Colonel had performed many a great deal of deeds for the world and the Digital-World, not to mention under the sea, and way up in space.
 
He and his crew truly were the best in the world; that is if the world only knew of the existence of the army, but no. Still, some of the crew did have other dreams if they could let their army days behind.
 
Professor Mecha planned to go into retirement with all the pay he got from his job, and then spend his days making new inventions for the world. Nami's ideas we're more practical… she planed to either become a regular doctor and help other people, or hang up her white coat and become a school teacher.
 
She was still a young lady in her twenties with a lot of life ahead of her.
 
Her second dream sort of reminded Davis of Kari's dream, how she wanted to be a preschool teacher… and after he inspired everyone to follow their dreams, he was pretty sure by now she was a teacher…
 
…And probably married that good-for-nothing TK and have had six kids by now!
 
Poor Davis, after all these years and he was still thinking about her…? Even Veemon could tell it was true, and when Davis was asked by Nami, “What do you plan to do…?”
 
“Hmm… me…?” Davis was at a pretty big loss for words. “Ah… maybe just go where the wind takes me. Hitchhike down some roads with Veemon… drift from place to place.”
 
“Yeah-- Me too...” Veemon added.
 
Mecha and Nami thought that was a pretty sad idea. “Oh, come on now, Colonel…” said Mecha. “Don't you have any real plans, or someone very special out there you want to spend your life with…?”
 
Davis bit his lower lip for a moment nervously, and he would've answered, if Daizo hadn't called the crew to the control tower for a special assignment. “We're what…?” Davis asked in shock.
 
Dazio nodded, “You'll be heading for Obadiah Japan to attend a fellow officer's funeral.”
 
One of their fellow officer pilots, Commander. Yuki Kiaro. A fine pilot and officer… and Davis' trainer from the first days since he joined the army… That man whipped Davis into shape and helped him become the powerful Colonel he was now.
 
Yuki was on a dangerous mission, explore strange activity going on in the eastern part of the world, and he knew before he went the chances of his survival weren't good.
 
“I want you all to pay our debts to him.” Daizo said as he removed his hat, “Commander Kiaro was a good officer, and a credit to our service, and he deserves our blessings.”
 
Nami and Mecha's heads fell a little low, and do did Davis', but he was more nervous than disappointed. The next he knew, he and the crew were off in HZ-7000, bound for Japan.
 
Davis and Veemon both looked as if they were going to turn inside-out. Nami and Mecha couldn't blame them. They knew that Obadiah was their home town, and yet they hadn't been there or even see much of it in almost ten years since they washed up on the island-base.
 
They knew it was best not to talk about it and let Davis and Veemon deal with it themselves… Only, right now, Davis and Veemon's minds were going many miles an hour with memories of the time they had.
 
Playing soccer in the fields… though Veemon was just a little too small to play it right…
 
Stuffing their faces with watermelon on the hills and getting the seeds all over their faces…
 
Sometimes they even had play dates and picnics with the gang, and all the families too.
 
Davis became a college graduate and tried to start his own Noodle-Business…
 
Alas… Kari and TK's relationship and their getting in the way of his life, made Davis get on that plane and go down. Everything in his life went topsy-turvy, but at least he was still doing well in the world…
 
Now to actually be gong back after nearly ten years-- They were expecting a wide load of things not being as they remembered…
 
 
By the next morning, they had arrived in an old abandoned airfield far away from the city so ads not to draw attention. As soon as they touched down, every one of them exited the ship. Davis and the others wore clothes over their uniforms...
 
Nami wore a scarf over her head hiding her long chestnut hair, while Davis and Mehca wore caps on their heads, and all three of them wore heavy-thick sunglasses. Veemon didn't have to wear any clothes to disguise himself…
 
This was to make sure no one would recognize any one of them, as they were supposed to be people who didn't exist. Then, they unloaded, HZ-5000 which was a van similar to that of the A-Team.
 
“Okay… hide the ship.” Davis said.
 
Professor Mecha nodded, and activated the ship's camouflage, which rendered it invisible. Then, they were off into town…
 
 
Suddenly, “There it is…” Davis cried softly. “Obadiah…!”
 
Davis' long lost hometown. From where the crew was in the van things didn't seem to have changed very much, but as the van drove straight through, Veemon and Davis noticed changes at once.
 
Some of Davis' favorite places were gone. The old arcade where Davis would play videos games instead of doing his homework was now a drop-in hardware store. Where load of construction was taken place, used to be a park with all kinds of food-carts… Veemon was very sad to see even his favorite candy-shop was no more.
 
It was just a dilapidated piece of property for sale. Davis patted Veemon on the head and smiled softly at him. Poor Nami felt the same too, as she once lived in Obadiah before she and her family moved to Tokyo. “I knew the place had changed, but I never thought it changed this much.”
 
Professor Mecha had always wanted to see Japan, but he never though that coming here would make his fellow crewmates so darn sad. “Aw, come on now. No more sad faces.” He told them. “We've got to find out where this funeral is being held.”
 
It was agreed to park the van, and then spread out to search. They all had some money with them from the army, and planned to meet back in an hour. Unless of course they found where the funeral would b held sooner and they could meet back at once.
 
Even Veemon decided to go off on his own, as it was best if he wasn't seen with Davis or it would arouse some suspicion. So, Davis was on his own…
 
 
Meanwhile, a young woman was just finishing her grocery-shopping, and her arms were loaded with two large brown bags. She looked mighty troubled, as if she had lost something important to him. “Hey, Dr. Motomiya…?” the clerk called. “Try to perk up.”
 
The woman smiled at the guy, and walked down the street. This woman was indeed Davis' older sister, Jun Motomiya. Ever since the supposed death of her little brother, she had her share of sadness.
 
She missed him so much, even if he was an annoying squirt to her sometimes; but he was her annoying little squirt, and deep down she loved him, and would've done anything to have her brother back.
 
Still, there was nothing she could do now, but it did give her the motivation to become a doctor so she could save other people's lives, and so many other people would have to lose a loved one like she did.
 
Still, it didn't hurt for her to still feel sad.
 
“Jun…!” someone called behind her. Jun turned round and saw Kari, with a rather large, swollen belly trying to catch up to her. Kari sure had grown-up over the years, now her hair was longer and falling down off her shoulders. She was also a preschool teacher, and at this moment, she was indeed pregnant… going on seven months.
 
“Kari… what are you doing here?” Jun asked, “Shouldn't you be resting…?”
 
Jun, who was Kari's new physician, and helping her with her pregnancy, had confined Kari to remain bedridden for many hours of the day. “I can't…” Kari said. “I just can't rest I'm feeling a little miserable.”
 
She too was badly affected by Davis' death. In many ways, it was both her and TK's fault that Davis died in the first place as they were both being nosy at him, forcing him to find romance when he didn't want any if it couldn't be with Kari.
 
He might had never gotten on that plane, and crashed out at sea.
 
Kari tried to move on with her life, and even married TK, but both of them were so distraught, that their marriage didn't workout. So they were now almost a year divorced, but Kari did get pregnant by TK.
 
The thing was, Kari's stress and sadness was no good for the baby so badly, that her pregnancy was complicated, and any sudden shock or fatal accident would result in the child being stillborn.
 
Kari just didn't want to be alone right now in her single apartment, even with Gatomon. “I just wanted to clear my mind, and I ran into you.”
 
Jun smiled, and the girls decided to get some lunch together.
 
 
(Piano song from THE INCREDIBLE HULK)
 
Davis walked down the streets of his hometown, and more and more changes came into his view… even his old apartment where he once lived with his family. Well it hadn't changed, but it seemed his folks didn't live there anymore…
 
In fact… when Davis stopped off at the cemetery where his own grave was, he noticed right next to it, “No…!” There were two other graves with the name “Motomiya.” These were his parents' graves.
 
Davis got a good look at the dates of death, and judging by how it was only a year and a half after he had gone, they had died of broken hearts. Davis fell to his knees “Man…”
 
For a whole hour he just sat there with his eyes fixed on the graves, until a priest who was wandering along the place saw the troubled young-man. “You knew those people once…?” he asked.
 
Davis looked up, and nodded, “I knew them… for a long time.” He couldn't reveal the truth about them being his parents.
 
The priest could sense that something was troubling this young man; something more than just the Motomiyas being dead. “You are a troubled soul, am I right?”
 
Davis was amazed by how this wise-man could tell. “Yeah, a little.” he answered. “I just feel so alone right now, and so confused. I don't know where to go.”
 
The Priest didn't wish to bother the young man as he didn't seem up to talking about it. “Just remember young man… God always has a path for everyone, and will always answer to prayers of those in need… even if sometimes the answer is No.”
 
Davis was really confused now and didn't know much to do, but before the priest left Davis did ask if he knew anything about the funeral of Yuki Kiaro… and it turned out the priest was the one who would give out the service, and gave Davis instructions that the funeral would be held in the very cemetery they were in the next morning.
 
Davis thanked the kind priest and then set off to go tell his crew, but as he walked out of the cemetery he tripped over a rock he didn't see. He fell to the ground, and his cap and shades fell off. “Uh oh…!” he cried and he quickly searched for them to get them back on before someone would see him and recognize him…
 
But it was too late… Jun and Kari were walking down the cemetery on their way back to their respective apartments. Suddenly they stopped… and Jun dropped her groceries. “Kari do you see…?”
 
Kari nodded, but she wasn't sure if it was, “Davis…?” but the man had already put his cap and shades back on, hiding his face, and then he ran off. Jun and Kari however just stood there transfixed…
 
They even questioned the priest, who was passing by, if he knew who that man was. The priest was sorry to say, “He did not say his name… but he seems to have had some connection to the Motomiyas.”
 
 
Later on, after the ladies had gone home. Both of them were scrambling over any files that could lead to anything confirming what they had seen. Jun went through everything, but she could find no records of Davis being alive at all…
 
No medical records. No purchases… not even identification. It was as if something had wiped all his records off from the vaults as if Davis Motomiya didn't exist at all.
 
Kari however was not convinced and kept right on searching. There was a knock at the door; it was Yolei and Ken, along with Hawkmon and Wormon. They had come to check-up on Kari to make sure she was okay.
 
“Oh…I say, Kari…?” Hawkmon asked, but Kari didn't respond. Her face was just glued to her computer screen and she was searching many different record-libraries at once. “Uh… Earth to Kari…?” Yolei called.
 
Kari finally snapped out of her trance. “Sorry, I was miles away.”
 
“Yeah I can tell…” Ken said as he looked over all the records she was studying up. Ken, who was detective, he could already tell Kari, was trying to find someone. “Who are you looking for…?”
 
Kari sat everyone down, and none of them were prepared for what she had told them. “You what…?” Gatomon asked in disbelief.
 
“No, I mean it.” Kari snapped for the third time, “Jun and I were walking by the cemetery, and we saw Davis! He's alive…!”
 
None of the others looked amazed. “But how can that be?” Wormon asked. “Davis went down in that plane crash years ago.”
 
“Yeah, and even Izzy wasn't able to lock onto to Davis' D3, or sense Veemon's Digital-code anywhere.” added Yolei.
 
Kari was insistent that she and Jun both saw Davis. She began to lose her patience however when the others believed she was only seeing things. Because she and Jun claimed to have seen him in the cemetery, Ken explained that what she saw was just an illusion…
 
“We all miss him Kari, and we think we see him even if he's not there.”
 
Kari refused to believe that, and all through the rest of that day she called all her friends, and told them what she saw, but not even her brother Tai believed her that Davis was alive. “I'm telling you, I know what I saw…!”
 
But even Jun, who was married to Tai, was starting to disbelieve it. “Kari we probably just had a nervous psychological reaction.” she explained. Kari was growing really cross, but now she didn't know what to think.
 
Even when she went to bed that night, her mind was still racing. What if the man she saw really wasn't Davis…? What if Davis really was dead…?
 
She just didn't know.
 
 
The next day, dressed in their proper army uniforms, Davis and his crew were at the funeral for Yuki Kiaro There weren't that many people there, just a few friends, and his widow. At least no one questioned Davis or the others about the HZ-army, or anything…
 
The priest had given the prayers, the blessings. The friends and family members placed flowers on the casket of the war-hero, and then it was Davis and his crew's turn to give their regards.
 
Nami, and Mecha each grabbed a machine gun, and Veemon Digivolved into Ex-Veemon. Then Davis, the proud Colonel directed his troops ready for the salute. “Right face!”
 
The three troops faced right.
 
“Take places…!”
 
One by one, the troops took their positions on different sides of the casket. Nami and Mecha pointed their machine-guns up at the sky, and Ex-Veemon stuck his chest up high.
 
“Fire…!”
 
The guns fired, and Ex-Veemon fired his “VEE-LASER…!” straight up at the sky.
 
“Fire…!”
 
They shot again.
 
“Fire…!”
 
They shot one last time.
 
Davis nodded, and then each crew member, as well as he, gave their speeches of how much Kiaro meant to them. He was a mighty fine soldier, and really served everyone well. “Troops… Salute!”
 
Nami, Mecha, and Ex-Veemon raised their hands along with their Colonel, and gave a final salute to the deceased war-hero.
 
 
Later on, after everyone had cleared out of the cemetery, leaving Davis and his crew alone. The crew quickly put their disguise outfits on over their uniforms again; excluding their shades, and stuff.
 
Ex-Veemon De-Digivolved back into Veemon. Nami and Mecha were loading the equipment back into the HZ-5000 van, while Davis and Veemon were taking a few short minutes over at Davis' grave, and the graves of his parents.
 
Davis sighed heavily, and Veemon knew how he felt. Having to leave like this after such a short time, and having to continue his lie about being dead… but there was no other way.
 
Davis placed two separate flowers on each of his parents' graves, and blessed them both as well as apologizing for never being able to talk to them again. “I just wish I could've let them know I was alive. Then maybe they would still be alive too…”
 
Veemon cuddled up close to Davis, and Davis patted him warmly.
 
 
Kari was walking by the cemetery again. She was still wondering if she really saw Davis or not. She was planning to visit his grave and convince herself that he was dead, even though his body wasn't really buried in the ground anyway as his body was never recovered…
 
Gatomon was with her, but she honestly didn't think this was going to help Kari get better. “You really should be thinking about your baby… and getting some rest.”
 
Kari gazed down at her friend, “I just want to get the facts straight.” She reminded her, “Then maybe I can sleep a little better.”
 
They crossed through the gate into the cemetery, but suddenly they stopped. Kari's jaw fell wide open, and Gatomon's eyes bulged. “Kari… do you see…?”
 
Kari nodded…
 
There, by the Motomiya graves was a young man, with brown hair, combed, not spiked, but that face. That voice! There was even a D3 on his belt with blue ridges, and he even had a Veemon with him, and there was only one Digi-destined who had a Veemon in the world, or a D3 with blue ridges.
 
“Davis…!” Kari called while waving. “Davis…!”
 
“Veemon! Over here…!”
 
The boys looked over towards the gate, even though they were far away. “Oh no…!” Davis muttered under his breath. “Please… no…?” cried Veemon.
 
It was Kari and Gatomon, the loves of their lives, and bane of their reasons for living in the army. They had to get out there now. So they just pretended they didn't hear the girls call, and began to walk away.
 
Kari and Gatomon couldn't believe what that boys had just done and dashed closer towards them. Davis and Veemon saw them coming and realized they would have to use emergency procedures to try and shake them off…
 
Kari and Gatomon stopped right in front of the boys. “Davis… I can't believe it's you!” Kari cried for joy.
 
“Veemon… long time no see.” added Gatomon.
 
The boys just stood there with confused looks on their face, which they were faking, “Uh… I'm sorry lady, but you got the wrong guy.” Davis said.
 
Kari's smile faded into a look of shock, and Gatomon's eyes bulged when Veemon told her, “Shorry, have we met before....?”
 
The girls gazed at each other, “Davis don't you remember me…? It's Kari.”
 
“Veemon, this isn't funny.” added Gatomon, but once again the boys denied it all. “If you'll excuse us we need to go.” Davis said as he and Veemon walked past her, “Goodbye.”
 
“Wait…!” Kari cried as she put her hand on his shoulder, and Gatomon grabbed Veemon's tail. “You guys… please.” Gatomon said. “We know you guys, and you know us. Just give us a chance.”
 
Suddenly, Kari felt like someone was holding a gun to her back. Kari looked round to see a middle0aged man. “Now…now you step away from him! You hear…?”
 
Gatomon was then picked up by a woman who looked and sounded exactly like Kari. “You two… Fur-ball!” she sneered, and tossed her aside as if she were ball. Gatomon was amazed at how strong this woman was.
 
All of the crew was about to leave, but Kari and Gatomon were just as stubborn as ever. “Please… you have to remember us. At least let us take you into town.”
 
Davis clenched his fists, and Veemon's eyes were shut tight in shame. “All right…” Davis finally said. “Just for a little while…!”
 
Veemon agreed, but Nami and Mecha gasped in deeper shock than ever before. “Colonel…?” cried Mecha.
 
Davis winked at both him and Nami which was code for, he'd okay it cool, and if she got suspicious he'd zap her with the memory ray.
 
Kari and Gatomon, however, were giddy with excitement, that they grabbed Davis and Veemon by the hands and dashed off into town. “I hope Davis doesn't get into too much trouble.” Nami said.
 
“I hope so too Nami…” said Mecha. “I hope so too.”
 
To Be Continued