Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Moving to America ❯ Moving to America ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

"How am I gonna tell him, the rest of my friends?" Taichi asked himself as he paced back and forth in his room, running a hand through his hair with a sigh.

Hikari climbed down from her buck, walked up to her frustrated brother, and hugged him.

"I'm sorry, Tai-chan. I know how hard it is to tell them."

The chocolate eyed-boy returned her embrace. "I just wish we didn't have to move. I mean it wouldn't be so bad if it were somewhere else in Japan, but to America…"

"Taichi, phone!" he heard their mother yell.

He kissed his sister on top of her head and walked past her and out the bedroom door to the phone.

"Thanks, mom," he said as he hesitantly took the phone from her hand.

"Hey, Taichi. You needed to talk to me about something?" It was Yamato, the person he was most afraid to tell about him moving to America, because in part, it was over Yamato that he was being forced to move.

"Yeah, there's something I need to tell you. Can you meet me in the park in about an hour?"

"Sure. What's up, though? You don't seem too please about something."

"I'll explain everything at the park."

"Alright. See ya there."

"Yeah, bye," he said, setting the phone on the receiver.

"Taichi, honey. Are you okay?" his mother asked, standing behind him with her hands on his shoulders.

"Of course I'm not okay! I'm leaving my home, my friends, the person I love…I'm being forced to leave everything, including my language behind to move to stupid America!" he screamed, quickly getting out of his mother's grasp, turning to the door while pulling his shoes on.

"I'm sorry, Taichi, but it's for your own good. You'll make lots of new friends and someone else to fall in…"

"Just because you and dad are homophobic doesn't mean I won't fall in love with another guy there! I probably won't love anyone there anyway because Yamato's here and I'll always love him!"

"But does he feel the same way? Does he love you too, Taichi? Will he be there for you after you tell him your little secret?" his mother shot back angrily.

"Thanks for the encouragement, mom. Sure, you're always there for me, there to piss me off and ruin what happiness I have left!" he screamed, slamming the door behind him.

As he stomped away from his apartment building, tears began to well up in his eyes as he recalled the whole thing.

"Stupid bitch. She doesn't ever know what's good for me!" he muttered, staring at the ground, hands jammed in his pockets, kicking rocks and cans along the sidewalk that he came across.

Taichi walked for at least three hours, still upset about moving and his parents' homophobia, meeting with Yamato totally slipped his mind, that is, until he reach his apartment building.

"Shit! I forgot! I can't believe I forgot!" he said to himself as he sat down on a step leading to his apartment.

While he sat and sulked, the phone inside his house rang, Hikari dashing for it.

"Yagami residence. Hikari speaking."

"Hey, it's Yamato. Have you seen your brother within the past couple of hours?"

"Not since he and mom got into an argument and he stormed out. Why do you ask?"

A sigh was heard on Yamato's end. "He was supposed to meet me at the park a couple hours ago, but he never showed."

"Sorry. I have something to ask you, okay? And I want you to answer truthfully."

"Okay."

She took a deep breath and asked quickly," Do you love my brother?"

A pause. "I don't really know…"

"Either you do or you don't. Which is it? It's not like I'm going to tell the world if you do."

Another pause and Yamato gulping was heard before he hesitantly said, "Yes, I love your brother. Why did you want to know?"

She gasped and jerked her head toward the door as he heard the handle turn. "Tai-chan's home. Come over and you'll find out why," she said before she abruptly hung up the phone.

Yamato stared at the phone in his hand in confusion for a moment before finally hanging it up, walking out of his apartment soon after. "At least I'm getting my exercise for the day…"

"Who were you talking to?" Taichi asked as his sister hung up the phone.

She turned to him, trying to not smile. "What's it to ya?"

"What did you tell him, Hikari?"

"I don't know who or what you're talking about," she said as she skipped to the living room.

Taichi sighed in frustration and stalked off to his shared room, flopping stomach down onto his bed as he pulled out his notebook from his pillowcase.

He pulled a pencil from the coils and opened to a blank page, beginning to write.

July 8, 2002

Yet again my mother and I got into a fight because of my love, whom I still haven't told about moving away. I still haven't even told him that I love him, and I don't know if I'll ever have the chance to now, as we're leaving tomorrow afternoon and he'll playing at one of his concerts, so I can't tell him of this totally ridiculous move.

Pausing to think, Taichi laid the pencil down on the notebook, folding his arms under his chin.

But thinking just isn't Taichi's thing, for he began to doze off on his bed, not hearing the pencil roll off his bed, the creak of the front door being opened, or his little sister greeting the person on the other side of the door.

"But why did he just storm out like that?" the blonde asked Hikari in their conversation in the living room.

"Well…" she leaned close to him on the couch and whispered, "Taichi wanted to tell you himself, but…we're moving to America…"

"What? Since when?!" he asked rather loudly, eyes wide and somewhat betrayed and angered.

"Shh! I'll explain that in a minute. The other reason is that, well, our parents are…homophobic," she whispered hesitantly.

"So you're saying that…that…" he said as softly as possible, the shock still rising in him, causing him to stumble over his own words, not daring to believe them.

"Yes, he's in love with you, and he's really hurt because he figured he could never have you, and now with us moving, it's making things even worse, knowing he may never have a chance to see you again."

The words Hikari were saying simply wouldn't register in the blonde's already confused mind.

"How…how long has…he…?"

"Who knows?"

"Did he tell you before that…?"

"Of course not; I figured it out on my own, but I wouldn't trust myself to believe that was what I saw between you two was love at first, just two best friends being close, not flirting. But I did believe it that day…"

"The park?"

"Yeah, the place you two shared your first and only…"

"Kiss," Yamato sighed dreamily at the memories.

"Unfortunately, my mother had seen the picture, that's how she knows."

Yamato looked down and sighed. "I can't tell him now."

"Why can't you?!" Hikari demanded.

"If he really does love me and I tell him now, then when you leave, who knows what he'll do."

Hikari's heart clenched at the sound of the blonde's heartbroken and concerned voice and seeing him on the brink of tears.

She looked away from Yamato, so that way he wouldn't see her tear filled eyes and said, "At least tell him good-bye. It's the least you can do."

Yamato gave a half smile and kissed her on the cheek. "Thanks for trying, sis."

The blonde stood and walked from the room, stopping in Taichi's doorway at the sound of snores.

Tears found his eyes as he walked in, kneeling down in the area in which Taichi's head was resting.

When he had his crying quiet and under control, he cautiously reached out and cupped Taichi's cheek, chocking back a sob of happiness when the sleeping boy nestled deeper into his touch.

He removed his hand from the boy's face as he began to stir, resting it on one of Taichi's hands, leaning forward and kissing him gently on his lips, the brunette's fingers intertwining with his own, sleepily returning the kiss.

As Yamato pulled away, the brunette's eyes flew open and sat bolt upright in his bed, in his empty room, cracking his forehead on the top bunk.

As he rubbed his sore head, he angrily thought, `A dream. Of course, that's all I can do now is dream. I can't ever have him or see him again. Never be able to kiss him again.' Then he threw his pillow angrily at the door.

Taichi simply couldn't take it anymore; he longed desperately for another moment like that one so many months ago, longed to feel Yamato's lips on his own, feel the blonde's arms around him…

The brunette pulled his knees tightly to his chest and held them in place while he sobbed into them.

"Yama…"

Yamato's heart tightened at the tone his name was being cried in, wanting to run in and hold the boy who had just called out for him in that soul-wrenching voice.

Hikari seen the blonde's reaction to her brother's cries as he stood behind the closed door and urged him forward, to go to Taichi and hold him like he longed to do for so long.

"Don't worry about knocking; just go in!" she said at the boy's hesitation. "Don't let him down, please, big brother?"

"But, I…"

"Don't let him down, don't let yourself down; this may be your last chance with him, for everything."

Defeated, he had no choice but to go in, closing the door behind him, Hikari sighing with relief.

The brunette lifted his head from his knees ever so slightly and stared blankly at the blonde with his teary eyes.

"Sorry I stood you up at the park earlier," he said, turning his head to rest his cheek on his knees, facing the wall across the bunks.

"It's okay; I understand why."

"So she told you we're moving?"

"Yeah, she did." `She told me everything, but why couldn't you? Why did you keep this a secret for so long?'

"I'm sorry, Yama. I wish there were something I could do to stay here," Taichi said brokenly, eyes tightly shut.

Yamato moved across the room and sat on the edge of the bunk, staring blankly at the same wall as Taichi had been, that is, blankly until…

"You still have that picture?" he asked as his eyes fell upon it on an empty shelf, the only unpacked item in the room.

"Mhm. What about you?" Taichi questioned as he opened his eyes and also stared longingly at the beautiful picture of he and Yamato.

It was one of Hikari's first pictures on her digicam. She had insisted that she have a picture of the pair at the park a couple months ago. She had situated them several ways that day, but none of them had come out the way she had wanted. Just about when she was ready to give up, she found the perfect picture to take.

Taichi was acting rather childish that day and had climbed up a tree, now stuck on a branch with jumping his only way down. Yamato had agreed to catch him, as he was smart enough to keep his feet on the ground that day.

The brunette jumped down and the blonde had caught him, but didn't place him on the ground right away, nor was Taichi in any hurry to get down as he had wrapped both his arms around Yamato's neck, pulling the blonde's head to his, the pair kissing for the briefest moment, and that's when Hikari captured her shot, giving them each a couple the next day.

Neither boy knew what had possessed them to kiss each other, nor did they really care to know, but they never discussed that day, that moment, that kiss with each other, not even the instant after it had ended, nor did they have another encounter like that, much to each other's dismay, but they never let the picture out of their sight, for it was a gift from their sister and their most intimate moment as best friends.

But of course, all things must come to an end…

"Did you feel anything then?" Yamato asked hesitantly.

Taichi's eyes widened and he blushed horribly. "What…what makes you…say that?" he asked, stumbling of his own words in embarrassment.

Yamato turned longing and saddened eyes to the brunette.

"I still love you, that's what."

TBC

Yes, no, maybe? R&R please!!!