Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Never My Way ❯ Just Our Way ( Chapter 2 )

[ A - All Readers ]
ME: [waving] Hiyas, minna-san!! I'm back with more KENMI and... stuff!

Ken: Stuff?

Mimi: [sighs] She has a way with words...

SD-ME: [pouting] Shoo-shoo, you two. Go find some romantic spot and make out while I work on this story.

[SD-Ken blushes while SD-Mimi giggles.]

SD-Ken: [still blushing with Mimi holding his hand] Bu-but... I'm here to do the disclaimers.

SD-Mimi: [putting her head on his shoulder] And I'm just here with Ken-chan!!

SD-Ken: [is even redder] Umm, heh heh... Well K-chan doesn't own Digimon. [mumbling quietly] Thank goodness, or I'd be so embarrassed...

SD-ME & SD-Mimi: [getting angry] HEY! We heard that!

SD-Ken: [quickly consoling an upset Mimi, who's turned her back to him] Oh no, Mii-chan! I'm sorry!! I didn't mean it that way!! You know how I feel about you...

Mimi: [turns back to him, smiling] I know. I was just teasing you, Ken-chan. [leans closer to him and kisses him lightly on his lips] I feel the same way too.

[They continue to gaze dreamily into each other's eyes, becoming oblivious to SD-K-chan flailing her arms in the background.]

SD-ME: GRRR, can you guys wait to do that IN the story!!! [finding it hopeless to stop them, sighs] Anyway, there's KENMI of course... still KOUYAKO, hints of TAITO... JYORA... maybe TAKARI (it'll be weird with their brothers... err, ya know) and some DAIMI scenes. ENJOY!!

A Never My Way Sequel

Just Our Way

written by K-chan

"Oh wow!! He FINALLY asked you out!! That's SO wonderful!! And it was about time too with the way you went on 'bout him!! It was like you two were already a couple!! But really, you could've made the first move, Mimi! Just look at me and Kou-chan!! He was way too shy to do a thing, but with just a few words, he's like putty in my hands! And he's SO cute when he's like that too!!"

Miyako laughed as she continued to talk Mimi's ears off. All the pink-haired girl could do was sit quietly and listen to her good friend go off on a tangent, but that was the price for dragging the only available girl friend to the mall. It seemed Hikari was out with Takeru and some classmates, and Sora was kindly helping Jyou with some shopping from what she was told from Miyako.

Mimi sipped her soda, wondering how Sora was doing after the whole incident with Yamato. It had been almost a week since it happened, and she was feeling bad for keeping secrets from her close friends, but she was only helping Yamato and Taichi out. When they were ready to tell the others of their relationship, they would, but still, Mimi didn't want to have Sora not talking to her. And it all started because of misunderstanding, but now she had a boyfriend, so she couldn't do Yamato the favor of being his pretend girlfriend to the world.

She sighed dreamily, just thinking about her boyfriend. She remembered the first time she met him, seeing him sitting all alone when around him people were chattering like crazy. He just looked like he wanted to be alone too, but being a part of the welcoming commitee of Tamachi Academy, she had to do her job and make everyone feel welcome and he was not an exception, even though no else seemed to get near him.

She shrugged the strangeness aside and walked towards the bench. He didn't notice her, since he was staring at the interesting spot by his shoes, until he saw a shadow over him. "Hey there, cutie," she smiled. She could just see the faint pink flushing across his face at the comment and found it very adorable, not to mention he was cute in the bishounen category.

He frowned, looking away from her, but she continued, "Are you hungry? You wanna get something to eat? We've got the reception filled with goodies!"

"No, I'm fine," he said coldly.

She looked puzzled at his sudden harshness, quite different from what she saw of his first reaction to her. She was about to say something more, but another voice called her, "HEY MIMI!! WE NEED YOUR HELP OVER HERE!!"

"Okay, I'll be there in sec!" she shouted back. She turned to the young man before her and smiled again, "I forgot to introduce myself. I'm Mimi Tachikawa. I have to go, but I hope to see you around, okay?" He only nodded, and she flashed him another warm smile before running off, leaving him to think about the strange, pink-haired girl.

Ever since then, she would see him around a lot, besides the fact that he was in her class. She was surprised when she started her new school year with seeing a familiar stranger sitting in the back corner. [SD-K-chan's snickering.] He appeared to be a few years younger than her, but already he had skipped some grades. It wasn't too out of place when Tamachi Academy was a private school for the best, gifted--not to mention wealthy, which was the main reason she was able to get in--students. She wasn't saying that she was only rich and pretty--she had brains too despite the bubbly personality most people only saw her as.

When she found out the young man was the little brother of a good friend of hers, who died in a car accident, she scolded herself for not remembering him at the funeral. At that time of mourning, she was too devastated at the sudden death that she didn't bother with anything outside her emotions. And why didn't she see the similarities between the brothers: from the dark hair to those haunting, violet eyes.

"Hello! Like Earth to Mimi!!" Miyako called to the dazed girl, waving a hand in her face, "Mimi Tachikawa, come in!"

"Hmm?" she answered, still with that dreamy look on her face.

The lavender-haired girl laughed, knowing that look on her friend's face so well. "Oh geeze, Mimi! You've got it bad for Ken!!"

Mimi blushed, but she was soon saved by Jyou and Sora, who came over to them. She intensed up when the pair joined them at the table while only greetings were exchanged at the moment. "What would you like, Sora?" Jyou asked, about to get something to eat.

"A chocolate shake's fine," she answered, reaching into her purse for the money.

"Oh no, Sora! It's on me!" he said and hurried off before the brunette could stop him. Sora groaned, holding the money in her hand, as she watched him leave. Miyako snickered, whispering something to Mimi that was inaudible to the other girl. Sora turned around and gave them a suspicious look before sitting down next to Miyako, across from Mimi.

"Is everything okay, Sora?" Mimi inquired, "I tried calling you the past few days, but either no one picked up or your mom said you were busy. Are you still angry at me?"

"Angry?" she repeated, pausing somewhat as if she was recalling the event that would bring up that emotion. "Well I was because you didn't tell me about you and Yamato when we're good friends, but I guess it was my fault too for not noticing. No, I'm not upset anymore, and I have been busy with mom making me run some of the deliveries."

"Hold on here!" Miyako cut in, "What's this with Mimi and Yamato? Mimi's boyfriend is Ken Ichijouji!"

Sora blinked, "What?! When did THIS happen?!" She frowned at Mimi, waiting for an explanation.

"Okay, it's not my right to say whatever's happening in Yama-chan's life," she began, "but as for me, I did have a crush on Yama-chan, but that's all in the past now. I'm sorry for the misunderstanding, Sora, but I was just his pretend girlfriend." Sora was now looking confused as ever. "Well Yama-chan IS involved, but... you can go ask him about it. He didn't mean to hurt you... It's just that... well, the situation isn't what you would imagine..." Her voice trailed off because she wasn't sure how to explain the situation without giving away Yamato's secret relationship.

Miyako glanced at Sora and then to Mimi and back at Sora and then Mimi... She continued to do that when the silence stretched out between the pair, causing her neck to get cramps. "But just know," Mimi started again, "that neither Yamato and I intended to hurt anyone, especially you because you're one of my best friends. And I'm sorry, Sora."

The girl sat there in silence, closing her eyes, as she took a deep breath. When she looked at them once more, she smiled, "Forget it. It's all in the past now, and we're still the best of friends!"

"Whew!" Miyako sighed, wiping the invisible sweatdrop off her forehead. "You guys had me SO worried!! I was afraid I might have to break up a catfight!! And here at the MALL!! We'd be on the news too!! Headlines: Teenaged Girls Suddenly Clawing Each Other Over Unknown Reasons with Helpless Friend in the Middle !"

Sora and Mimi laughed with the latter adding, "You are SO NOT helpless!! Not with the way you attack Koushiro whenever he comes into your sight!" That made Sora laugh even harder, clutching her stomach from the ache.

"HEY!!" she pouted, "I can't help it if I have to hug my boyfriend whenever he appears!! I'm just emotional!!"

"Oh sure, you make that 'fling to your boyfriend and attach to him like a leech for the rest of the scene ' an art!" Sora added.

Miyako narrowed her eyes at the girl, "Oh, I wouldn't be talkin', girl... What about you and Jyou?! HMM?!!" Mimi raised her eyebrows with great interest, turning her attention to the girl in question.

Sora blushed madly, waving her hands protectively in front of her in denial, "NO WAY!! WE'RE JUST GOOD FRIENDS!!" Her two friends just rolled their eyes as if used to hearing the usual, denial phrase, and it clicked in her head that they had misunderstood her being with Jyou at the mall. "Oh guys!! This ISN'T a date!!! I'm just helping him out because he needed help in finding a gift for his brother's birthday!! Just THAT!! REALLY!! NOW STOP GIGGLING!! DON'T ROLL YOUR EYES AGAIN!! I MEAN IT!! AAAARGH!!"

She was frustrated, but then a smile crept on her face as she stared at the giggling Mimi. "And what's this about Mimi and Ken?!!! Fill me in on the latest news: when, how, what, where--THE works! Now spill it, girl!"

Miyako laughed at the blushing pink-haired girl since it was now her turn to be in the spotlight of their discussion of relationships. She already knew most of it, but it didn't hurt to hear it all over again and tease her about it too, now that Sora was there to help her.

"Oh c'mon, guys!! Miyako teased me enough!" she said.

"Aaawe, look how red she is!" Sora chirped. "She never looked like this for any guy before!!" Miyako nodded, confirming that statement. "Okay, I'll make it easy for ya: when did he asked you out?"

"Well..."

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Meanwhile somewhere else in the mall, more specifically a jewelry store, Koushiro was browsing through a case of rings, searching for the right one for a very special occasion. Behind him was Ken looking through a different display of earrings. "Can I help you, sir?" the female employee asked him.

Ken straightened up, rubbing the back of his head nervously. "Umm, I'm just here with a friend," he explained, "He's looking for a gift for his girlfriend..."

She smiled, "But what about you? I'm sure a good-looking guy like you have a pretty girlfriend too." He nodded shyly, thinking about his pink-haired angel. "Oh, just from the look on your face, you really love her a lot. I know the perfect gift!"

His expression fell into confusion as the woman opened a different glass case and took out a display of necklaces. He didn't plan on buying anything at all since he and Mimi weren't even official until a week ago, and he want to rush into things, which might scare her away. And giving her jewelry was like branding a label on her that she was his, which he didn't want to make her feel like she was an object, his property.

Even if he wasn't going to buy a thing, he could still browse the collection. There were a few nice, sterling silver ones, especially the teardrop with angel wings. Just staring at it made him realize how perfect it was for Mimi, but unfortunately, the teardrop was an amethyst stone. If only... "Excuse me," he said, "do you have a pink one for the teardrop necklace?"

Her smile grew wider at his selection, "Oh yes, that's an excellent choice!! We have different stones, and the rose quartz are very popular!! I'll have to get it from the stock room, so please wait, sir." He gave her a nod, and she immediately zoomed off as if he would sneak out of the store the moment she turned her back away. He sighed, watching her disappear through the door, thinking that sales personnel were very persistent.

"Prodigious!! I think I've found it!" Koushiro exclaimed, and Ken turned around to him. He walked up to his friend's side, wondering what his sudden cheer about. The red-head held the small box in his hand to Ken, revealing a pair of posted red rose earrings. "What do you think, Ken?"

He was quite speechless because he didn't know what kind of opinion Koushiro wanted. He exactly wasn't an expert on the beauties of jewelry, but it looked nice enough for a girl like Miyako. "Yeah, I think she'll like it--at least anything from you."

Koushiro went through the same action as Ken did with his hand behind his head, chuckling nervously. He gave it back to the saleswoman helping him to get it nicely wrapped. While they waited, he chatted with his companion, "Thanks for accompanying me, Ken. I know anniversaries are held on pedestals to girls, but even if Miyako says otherwise, I still want to give her something special for our six-month anniversary."

Ken nodded in agreement, thinking about getting that necklace and giving it to Mimi on their six-month anniversary. He swallowed hard when the woman rushed back to him, breathing heavily. "HERE IT IS!!" she said a bit too loud and too happy, causing Ken to think that today was her first day at work. She opened the slender, red, velvet box, showing the two young men the beautiful, pink teardrop necklace with angel wings.

"Wow, that's very pretty," Koushiro remarked. "Are you getting that, Ken? Who's it for?"

Ken blushed, having forgot to tell him what happened between him and Mimi. "Umm, for Mimi," he answered quietly. Koushiro raised a curious eyebrow at him. "I asked her to be my girlfriend last weekend," he said even quieter, making the young genuis to lean in closer for the explanation.

"PRODIGIOUS!!" Koushiro exclaimed and shook Ken's hand as if he had won some sort of contest. "I expected this to occur sooner or later," he chuckled, "Unfortunately for all of us, Miyako had talked our ears off in becoming a match-maker for you two if no sparks flew in the next week."

Ken laughed, silently thanking the gods for sparing him and Mimi from any of Miyako's embarrassing ideas. He turned to the saleswoman and asked it to be wrapped up, if possible, in pink. She nodded and almost skipped off, beaming brightly at her first sale of the day. "Mimi's a great girl," Koushiro commented, "She's like a sister to me--if not most of us--and I'm very pleased she's with you, Ken."

"Thanks," Ken smiled shyly as if not used to conversing about relationships with another or carrying on one at all (with anyone else besides Mimi). "I just hope she's as happy as I am."

"Oh, I assure you she is." The confusion on Ken's face told Koushiro to explain, "We knew from the way she talks about you, and the far off look she always has. She likes you very much."

Ken was surprised, not too much from her liking him--if not, she wouldn't be his girlfriend--but it made him wonder how long she had those feelings. Was it as long as his own? She was always so cheerful and loving towards everyone that he just didn't realize her feelings were more than being friends.

"From what Miyako has told me," Koushiro continued, "Mimi wasn't certain of your feelings for her either, and she didn't want to risk your friendship if the feelings weren't mutual." Ken nodded, understanding the fear of rejection that he had felt for quite a while, but now he couldn't be any happier being with the girl he liked for so long. He felt like he was the luckiest guy in the world.

After the two young men paid for their items, they left the store and headed towards the escalator to the first floor, where the food court was. They had planned to meet their respective girlfriends there after a pitiful excuse of doing guy things . But what actually happened was Koushiro had called Ken to help out on his gift shopping, and immediately after Ken had agreed, Mimi called about spending the afternoon together. He had to make it later since he promised Koushiro to help him with something, so it was settled that they would just meet at the mall.

Ken later related the plans to Koushiro about meeting Mimi and Miyako later that afternoon, and they agreed on it. And it was only five ten minutes that they were nearing the food court vincinity when a familiar voice boomed over them. Immediately, the two young men sweated at the embarrassing sight of Miyako waving her arms in the air as she jumped up and down excitedly.

All eyes were on the table, where Sora and Jyou were sheepishly trying to disappear behind their napkins, as Ken and Koushiro had no choice but to walk over to them, very slowly. Miyako was one amazing girl, as if she could lock on any familiar target--in this case, her boyfriend. Ken looked thoughtful, wondering if Mimi could do that, and chuckled to himself. Then it hit him that Mimi wasn't present, even though their was a taken seat with no one present.

After exchanging greetings, Koushiro pulled up an extra chair next to Miyako while Jyou and Sora made room for him. Ken also got another chaid and sat down, asking, "Where's Mimi?"

"Oh!" Miyako exclaimed as if she just realized one of her best friends was missing, "Daisuke's talking to her about something. I have no idea what for, but he looked VERY secretive!! I wonder though..." She feel into a thinking pose as Ken glanced at the others for other 'non-Miyako' inputs. They just shrugged, but inside, Ken was worried that Daisuke might pull something on his girlfriend.

Ken felt his face become warm, not able to help it every time he thought of Mimi being his official girlfriend. He didn't realize how pink his cheeks had become until Miyako giggled, looking at him, which just added to his flushing state.

"So Ken," Jyou began, breaking Miyako's innocent tease on the poor guy, "I heard from these nice ladies that you and Mimi are an item, hmm?"

"Oh Jyou!" Sora poked his arm with her index finger, "Isn't it obvious from the shade of red on his face?! He's certain not angry!"

She and Miyako laughed while Ken just felt like shrinking into an ant in embarrassment, having never been the center of such a situation as this. But thank goodness Koushiro saved him, cutting, "All right, girls. You wouldn't want Mimi to find out you were picking on her boyfriend now, would you?"

The girls looked sheepish, quieting down to tiny giggles because they knew what an earfull their pink-haired friend could give them. Then they chatted about various events during the past week as well as the upcoming one and any plans they had scheduled.

It was around that time that Mimi returned alone, looking flushed from whatever happened. She wore a troublesome expression as her hand lingered over her lips as if it was the most delicate thing in the world. She had quietly walked up to the others, and no one noticed until Koushiro saw the look on her face. "What's wrong, Mimi?" he asked.

Mimi sat down in her chair, next to Ken, blinking at the question. She quickly changed the mood, giggling like nothing had happened, "Oh I'm fine!"

"It's a lovers' distance thing," Miyako announced, nodding her head with folded arms as if she was a professional relationship counselor. "Mimi-chan'll be her cheery self now 'cause Ken-chan's by her side!" she said, making the couple blush.

Ken stole a glance at his girlfriend, finding her shyly staring at her hands. When she looked over to him and their eyes met, the redness on their cheeks deepened. "Omigosh, they're just SO cute!" Miyako squealed, tightening her grasp on Koushiro's arm. Everyone else except the spotlighted couple laughed playfully.

Mimi pouted and stuck her tongue out at them. She took Ken's hand, standing up, "C'mon, Ken-chan, we don't have to take anymore of this!" Her boyfriend was all to relieved that they were making an escape from the embarrassing scene. He could care less as to where they would go.

Jyou chuckled as the couple left and then turned to Sora, "We should get going to. I want to send off Shin's gift today." She nodded as the two excused themselves from what was left of their friends. She was about to grab her bags when Jyou took it from her hands and carried it for her like the gentleman he was. She blushed, but out of the corner of her brown eyes, she saw the sly grin on Miyako's face and frowned slightly. That only caused Miyako's grin to grow wider.

"Ne, Kou-chan," Miyako began, leaning her head on his shoulder, with her arms still wrapped around his, "what do you think about them?" Her eyes were still glued on the tiny, departing figures of Jyou and Sora.

Koushiro raised an eyebrow as he sipped his soda. He placed it back on the table and asked, "You mean, Ken and Mimi? From a superficial view, their extreme personalities would clash and being together would be highly unstable. But I disagree with such technicalities in this case. As you said before, if one looked closer, you can see the sparks between them."

"Oh Kou-chan!" she giggled, "I was talking about Jyou and Sora!"

"What?!" He looked at her, surprised, and his mouth hung open, uncertain of what to say from the unexpected. "Those two? When... did they...?"

"Not yet," she answered, releasing Koushiro's arm, and put on her scheming expression--the one that he knew all too well. He backed off to the side a bit as she continued to plot out a strategy aloud. He leaned on the table, staring at his girlfriend, and smiled. She was an amazing girl, putting so much energy and enthusiasm into everything she did. And it was just that that he loved about her.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

The couple had left the mall altogether and were walking down the side of the streets, window-shopping. The young man smiled brightly as he held his girlfriend's hand, speaking with noticeable happiness, but the pink-haired girl had other things on her mind. Holding his hand, she leaned her head against him as they continued their walk together, but her mind was still on the incident that occurred earlier at the mall.

She and her girl friends were nearly run down by the young, energetic soccer player who happened to be named Daisuke Motomiya. Even though he had shouted at them for their attention from faraway, he still managed to knock Miyako out of her seat. "Geeze, Daisuke!" she screeched, getting back into her chair, "When are you NEVER the Bullet Train?!"

"Sorry, sorry!" he said hastily, "I needed to talk to Mimi!" The said girl arched her eyebrows high, looking at the breathless, young man. "Can I talk to you in private?" he asked her. Sora and Miyako watched on curiously at the two, but more specifically at Daisuke and his rather strange behavior. He was actually appearing normal, compared to the other times when he was being an idiot.

"Sure," Mimi replied and stood up. Daisuke smiled and threw a cheer underneath his breath. As the two left the food court area, Miyako's suspicious eyes were glued on them, wondering what in the world Daisuke could be talking to Mimi about.

Daisuke took Mimi over to the water fountain, and they sat there for a little bit. He seemed so nervous being alone with her, but this was his chance. Mimi sat patiently by his side, glancing at the scenery before turning to him. "So what was it that you wanted to talk to me about, Dai-chan?" she asked.

He looked up and gazed into her hazel eyes, nearly melting at the pet name she called him. "Dai-chan?" she called. "Hello?" She waved her hand in front of his face to get him to snap out of it.

"Huh?! Uuh, you cook really well, right?!" That was one way to start the conversation, but what did cooking have to do with him telling her his feelings.

She blinked at him and tilted her head to the side a bit, "I manage with it. Why do you ask?"

"Umm well, TE told me... so... uuh, I was wondering... uuh, if you could well, help me with this dish for school??!!" Daisuke sighed inwardly with much relief that he managed to pull that off, but then he was alert once more because she could suspect something. "Yeah... for school. Haha, ya see, I gotta do it for my home ec. class, but I can't cook."

She looked like she was amused and surprised at the same time. "Dai-chan, we did you take home ec. class? It doesn't fit your image," she said playfully. Then she leaned close to him, waving a scolding finger at him, "Aaah, you're in there just to get girls, ne?"

Daisuke blushed at the closeness with her and reluctantly nodded, "Haha, you found me out... but would you help me?"

She pulled back and dropped her hands in her lap, smiling, "Like I said, I just manage with it. I can make it edible, but it doesn't mean it's delicious." She looked at him, "What about your mother? And your sister?"

"Huh? Oh, mom... she'll be busy. And Jun burns everything she touches." Daisuke added, grumbling about his sister, "She can't even cook to save her own life."

Mimi giggled, having heard his remark. "But you should have asked Sora. She's a much better cook than I am."

Uh oh, she was onto him?! He had to think fast, which was not a problem, but thinking quickly of something BELIEVABLE was not his strength. "Naah, I believe in TA's taste," he said smoothly, "but will ya help me out? I mean, if you're not busy or anything."

"Hmm, let me think," she said. She went into her thinking pose while Daisuke was staring at her intently, not realizing how close he was leaning towards her. Suddenly she turned to him with a big smile, "Of course I'll help ya out, Dai-chan!"

Caught up in the moment, Daisuke went for it and planted a quick kiss on her lips. He pulled back with a flushed face, but he was smiling brightly. Mimi was too stunned to do or say anything, so he jumped up on his feet and said, "My parents are out tonight, so you can come over then! I'll see ya around six then! See ya, Mimi!" And then he took off, feeling so elated.

She sat there, so still looking at nothing in particular, and it took awhile for the situation to sink into her head that someone had kissed her... but it wasn't Ken! She would've brush that kiss off as nothing, but the look on Daisuke face told her otherwise. How could she not have seen that coming?! If she had known, she could've prevented anything from happening.

But something did happen: an innocent kiss.

"Mimi?" the familiar voice rang out in her ears. She snapped out of her thoughts and looked over to her boyfriend's face. He was looking at her with great concern. "Are you feeling all right?" he asked.

She smiled faintly. "I'm okay. I must've spaced out!" she giggled.

Ken didn't pursue it further, but he knew something was bothering her, ever since she came back from talking with Daisuke. He wanted to ask what they were talking about, but it was really none of his business. He just had to trust Mimi, that whenever she wanted to talk about it, she would tell him.

"About summer vacation," he began, to take ease both of their minds, "my grandmother wanted me to visit her in Okinawa. I haven't answered her yet... but I was thinking..."

"Yes, Ken-chan?" she said sweetly, looking at him with her big, brown eyes. She looked so innocent, like an angel. He blushed, still not believing that the pink-haired angel before was actually his girlfriend.

"Would you like to go with me to Okinawa?" he asked, "If you don't already have any plans."

"I would love too!" she squealed, throwing her arms around his neck. She hugged him, showing her affections in the middle of the public, but it was really no big deal to see a young couple embracing each other like that anymore. "Even if I had plans, I'd drop them any day!" she giggled.

Ken laughed as she settled down again, but hugging his arm this time while they continued their walk. All problems were forgotten as the two began to separately plan in their heads for the upcoming summer vacation. And spending time together was top on the list of things to do.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Daisuke had booked it from the mall, heading straight for his idol's apartment, but he learned from Taichi's mother that he had slept over at Yamato's place. So poor Daisuke ran a couple of more blocks to the Ishida home. He was too excited to complain about the trek, and all that really went through his mind was the kiss he gave Mimi. His first kiss, and he couldn't believe it was Mimi. He had always thought it would be Hikari, but when Mimi entered his life, he had practically forgotten about his crush on Taichi's sister.

He was finally in front of Yamato's place, pressing the button several time, and the echo of the bell from inside could be heard. The door opened five minutes later, and Daisuke was greeted by an annoyed, groggy-looking Taichi. His bushy, chocolate seemed bigger than usual, making him appear as if he had just woken up, but who wouldn't with the doorbell ringing and ringing.

"Daisuke?" Taichi grumbled, rubbing his eyes. "Do you know what time it is?!"

"Yep, it's a ten pass one!" he beamed.

The information had caught Taichi in the middle of his yawn. "What?! It's already pass noon?!!" He left the doorway, running back into the apartment, and shouted, "Yamato!! Hey, wake up! You're gonna be late for practice!! YAMATO!!"

Daisuke blinked and then shrugged, letting himself into the Ishida home. He made himself comfortable on the couch while Yamato was frantically running to the bathroom, shouting how Taichi could let them oversleep like that. Minutes later, things seemed to have calm down with the blonde spending eternity in the bathroom and Taichi had collapsed on another couch.

"And what brings you here, Daisuke?" he finally inquired his younger clone.

No longer able to keep it all a secret or surprise, he blurted out, "I've got a date, and I need your help!!"

"D-date?" Taichi stuttered, slipping off the couch in surprise. He immediately sat up on the floor, narrowing his eyes at Daisuke, "With WHO? Not Hikari! She's not old enough to date! And I forbid it."

Daisuke shook his head, "Nope! She's prettier, cuter, smarter!"

That made Taichi frowned. "And what's wrong with my li'l sister? She's pretty, cute, and smart!" He quickly added, "But she's still now allow to date."

"Yeah, I know, but there's just something about Mimi!"

"Mimi?" The older boy eased up and leaned back, chuckling, "Oh, so you're goin' after an older woman, huh? Go get her, 'Romeo'!"

"Thanks, but what should I wear? What DO you do on a first date?!"

Taichi got up and walked over to his helpless companion. He joined him on the couch and patted his back. "Daisuke, you've come to the right guy for this!" he chuckled.

Yamato, having heard the conversation, stuck his head out from the bathroom, scoffing, "Just the opposite, Tai! When it comes to girls, you're clueless as a daikon!" He then addressed Daisuke, "Give me fifteen minutes, and I'll tell you what to do. After all, this is Mimi you're dealing with, and who better to ask than me? I've known her a little longer than Tai has."

Taichi made a face, that told the blonde he was gonna get it when they were alone, but Yamato just rolled his eyes and retreated back into the bathroom. Luckily, Daisuke had missed the whole exchange because he was in his own little world.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

A woman in her forties stood outside her shoppe, watering the various flowers, as a white car pulled up in front of it. She looked over her shoulder and smiled when she recognized the driver stepping out and walking over to the passenger side. She put the watering can aside and went over to greet them.

"Welcome back, you two," she said. Jyou held the door opened for Sora to get out, and the girl immediately blushed like she had been caught doing something embarrassing. "But you're back early, aren't you?" she teased.

"Mom!" Sora groaned.

"Takenouchi-san," Jyou bowed slightly in respect. "I didn't want to keep Sora too long. I'm sure she has important things to do," he said and looked at her, "Thank you for helping me out."

"No problem," she replied. "I was happy to. But I should thank you for the meal."

Jyou chuckled and then had to excuse himself. The mother and daughter waved him off as the car started. When he drove away, her mother looked at the girl slyly, "So how was the date? Hmm?"

"Oh mom! It was NOT a date!" She stomped inside the store and headed upstairs to her room, wondering why everyone insisted that she and Jyou should be together. Their relationship was only platonic, because she had her eyes on someone else. She sighed inwardly remembering what Mimi had told her at the mall, and really, she was okay with Yamato being taken. She just wished Mimi had been more honest with her and told her who he was with. That was all she wanted to know. And she shouldn't have blamed her best friend, when Yamato was partly responsible for the misunderstanding.

She plopped down on her bed, letting the shopping bags fall against her bedside. She sat there, wondering what to do with the rest of the day. Mimi and Ken were probably on a date somewhere, and so were Koushiro and Miyako. That left her single as can be. But then there was always Taichi, her best friend since childhood, but he didn't seem interested in her. Their relationship seemed distant at times, and she felt like he had replaced her with Yamato. The two were now the bestest of friends, but they were guys after all.

While all of her girl friends had someone special, she was alone. And every time she thought about it, her mind would wander back to Jyou and the teases her friends gave her about them. He was a great guy, and very dependable and mature too.

"Sora dear," her mother called, poking her head through the doorway, "Do you think Jyou will be busy tonight? I was thinking he should come over for dinner some time." She stopped and waited for her daughter's response to her suggestion.

"I don't know," she answered calmly, and there was silence between. Her mother stood there and just looked at her. She seemed curious as to what the girl was thinking. Sora obviously took it rather well, when she had been expecting her daughter to grow weary of all the hints of getting together with Jyou. "Jyou's really nice," she spoke again.

Her mother nodded, "Not to mention cute too."

"Just dinner, right?" Sora asked, going back to the original subject.

"Just dinner," she confirmed.

"All right. I'll give him a call." The woman smiled and left her daughter alone. Even though she was satisfied with the affirmative answer, there was something behind those words that made her a little beyond satisfaction. Perhaps it was happiness, knowing that her daughter would give Jyou a chance. Unlike her husband she divorced, Jyou was the young man she wanted her daughter to be with, but that was too far in the future. She would have to take it slow and not push too much.

Sora actually understood her mother's intention, but she wasn't sure if she was ready to think of Jyou that way. "Let's just see how it goes," she sighed, "and even if he feels the same way." She looked at her two shopping bags, reminding her of the hours she spent with him. She then noticed something in one of the bags and reached for the object.

Pulling a rather slender, flat box out of the bag, she didn't recall buying anything like it. Curious, she opened it and gasped at the lovely item. "It's beautiful!" she whispered. She held the sky-blue scarf in the air, admiring it, and then wrapped it gently around her neck. The silk felt so nice against her skin.

She fiddled with the end of the scarf, knowing for certain she didn't buy it, but she did see it at one of the stores. Did the saleswoman make a mistake? But the item seemed expensive, so it couldn't be a simple mistake. Or maybe... Jyou? Did he secretly buy it for her? But why would he sneak it into her bag like that?

"Oh Jyou," she sighed. She definitely had to call him, but now there was a strange uneasiness fluttering in her stomach.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

After Ken had dropped her home later that afternoon, Mimi had been in her room, staring at the ceiling. Every now and then, her fingers would brush over her lips. She wasn't confused about her feelings because she really liked Ken and enjoyed every moment with him, but how would she let Daisuke down without him getting hurt? She had to do it soon, or else it would go too far, and hurt too deep.

She glanced at the clock on her wall and then returned her eyes to the ceiling. She had a little over an hour till the appointed time. Her feelings were straightened out, but she still felt guilty for having another guy touch her lips when she was with another. Maybe she shouldn't tell Ken, but just knowing and not telling would nag her for the rest of her life. Just how would he react to that though? Would he find her so despicable at betraying him and leading on other guys, when she didn't mean to or wanted to?

She had to talk to someone about it, get some advice maybe--even if she knew what the right thing to do was, she just needed reassurance. She rolled onto her stomach and reached for the pink phone by her bedside. She dialed Miyako's number and waited, but no answer came, not even from a family member. The whole family must be out since it was the weekend.

She tried another number, but this time she received a busy tone from Sora's place. And the only other person she could confide in was Hikari, so she dialed to the Yagami's house. After three rings, someone picked up, "Hello, Yagami residence." The voice was familiar, but it was neither Hikari nor Taichi, not their parents either.

"Keru-chan?" Mimi questioned.

"Mimi?" he said, "Yeah, it's me. You want to talk to Hikari?"

"Yes please, but why are you over there?"

"Oh, we had a school project to work on together. We're done for the day, and Hikari's just seeing our classmates off."

"Oh I see. So you spent the whole day studying?"

"You could say that, but it wasn't THAT bad. Oh, hold on. I'll get Kari-chan on the phone."

She could hear the phone being placed on the table, but a minute later, it was picked up again. "Mimi?"

"Hi, Kari-chan!" she answered, "How are ya?!"

"I'm doing great. How are you and the others? I'm sure you guys did something exciting today, and Takeru and I just missed out on it, huh?"

Mimi laughed, "If you find hanging out at the mall exciting!" There was a short pause as she thought about how to tell her friend, but Hikari had already caught on from the silence.

"What's wrong, Mimi? Something's bothering you. What happened today?"

She went straight to the point that bothered her, "At the mall... Daisuke kissed me."

"WHAT?!! DAISUKE?!!" Hikari screeched through the phone, that Mimi had to pull back for a few seconds. For a moment there, Mimi thought she was speaking to Miyako. "I didn't think he could pull that off with anyone. What did you do? Did you kiss him back? Do you like Dai-chan? He's a nice guy, so age shouldn't matter."

"I know age doesn't matter," the pink-haired girl sighed, "that's why I'm Ken's girlfriend."

"WHAT??! What? What?! Ken's girlfriend?!" Mimi could hear Takeru in the background repeating the same words. "When did this happen?! Did he really ask you?! How did he do it?"

"Who's Ken's girlfriend?" came Takeru's voice.

"Keru-chan!" Hikari scolded, "This is girl talk, so get off the phone."

"Well, you wouldn't answer me," he replied.

"Okay, you two," Mimi interrupted. "Keru-chan can join in, and I'm Ken's girlfriend."

"Congratulations," he said, "But what does this have to do with Daisuke, a kiss, and age?"

"Kari-chan, please?"

"Certainly," the brunette said, "Mimi's with Ken, but today at the mall, Daisuke came into the picture by kissing her. Wait, does Ken know about this?"

"No, not yet," Mimi answered. "I have to get it all straighten out with Dai-chan first, then I'll tell Ken what happened."

"The sooner, the better," the two youngsters said simultaneously.

Mimi giggled, "You two are so cute."

"Oh c'mon, Mimi," Takeru said, "Don't change the subject.

"That's right," Hikari added. "I'm sure it'll be okay. Dai-chan'll understand your feelings, and Ken'll know it was all a misunderstanding. He's a reasonable guy--you should know."

"I hope so," she said. "Anyway I better see Daisuke now, and probably get this cooking thing done with."

"What cooking thing?" Takeru asked.

"Well, Dai-chan asked me to help him make a dish for his cooking class."

"Cooking class? He doesn't have any cooking class," Hikari informed. "There's only one class they have offered to our grade, and I'm in it. If he IS in it, I haven't seen him there since the start of the school year."

"REALLY?" Mim's voice went a bit too high at the end.

"Uh oh, I think he's in trouble," Takeru commented, knowing that tone.

"Thanks, you two, for the info. I'll go see him right NOW. See ya later."

"Bye, Mimi," they said and listened to her phone hang up. "So, what do you think?" he asked, "Will Daisuke make it out unscathed?"

"Hmm, this IS Mimi now. She won't harm a friend."

"No, I'm talking about Ken. When he finds out..."

"Oh..."

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

"Hey, let's go play some soccer!" Taichi suggested as he stepped off the city bus with Yamato following behind. "It's still early! And I spent the whole afternoon at practice with ya!"

The blonde rolled his eyes at his companion. "Thanks to you, we got to the place late AND we hardly got anything done. You even got the others goofin' around. Seriously, Tai, when are you ever gonna grow up?"

Taichi turned around with a big grin, "So? That's what you love about me. Huh? Am I right or what? Say it. Say I'm right. You love me that way." He laughed, poking Yamato's arm.

He sighed, knowing that it was true and the idiot wouldn't shut up if he didn't admit it. Taichi kept pestering him as they walked a short distance, and Yamato spotted the ice cream parlor. He smiled and pointed to the place, "Oh look, Tai, ice cream."

The brunette looked over and practically drooled a puddle around him. "Let's go!" he shouted, dragging a pleased Yamato along. When they stepped inside the parlor, Yamato spotted Jyou and Sora sitting in a booth. Taichi was too caught up in the menu to see them. "Hey, Tai," he called, "Just get me a vanilla shake, okay? I'll grab us a table."

"Sure," he replied and turned back to the menu.

Yamato smirked at his friend's sweet tooth and headed over to the couple by the window. "Hey, guys," he greeted.

"Hi, Yamato," Jyou said.

He looked over at Sora, remembering the incident at the last concert, and expected this disgusted look on her face, but she seemed calm and there was this brightness in her eyes. She smiled and patted the space next to her, "Don't just stand there; have a seat." He returned the smile and accepted her offer. "How was practice?" she asked.

"One name," he sighed, "Tai." Both Sora and Jyou laughed, nodding in comprehension. "And get this. Even after that, he still has the energy to play soccer! But being the smart, handsome guy that I am, I persuaded him into coming here instead."

"It doesn't take much to please Tai," Jyou chuckled.

"But you gotta love him for that," Sora added.

Yamato agreed, smiling secretively, "True."

"Oh that reminds me," she said, looking straight at Yamato, "so who are you REALLY dating?"

He blinked at her. "Well... Mimi," he said hesitantly.

Jyou was about to say something about that, but Sora cut in, "Really, Yamato, you could've just told me the truth. I know for certain it can't be Mimi, but don't worry, I'm not upset anymore. We're mature, young adults who can deal with rejections, right?"

"I'm really sorry, Sora," he apologized. "Did Mimi tell you?"

"She partly did, but I'm just curious to know who the lucky girl is." Yamato remained silently, uncertain of how his close friends would take his choice of partners. The other two exchanged glances, having noticed their friend was uneasy with it, so Sora said, "Oh don't worry about it. I'm sure we'll meet her soon. Anyway, what's taking Tai so long?"

Speaking of the devil, he was making his way over to them with a shake in one hand and ice cream cone of four scoops in the other. "Hey, Sora! Jyou!" he smiled, handing Yamato his order. "Whacha guys talkin' about?" he said and licked his ice cream.

"Oh this and that," Sora answered, "Just gossiping, ya know."

"Gossiping, huh? Did ja hear about Mimi?!"

"We sure did," Jyou spoke up, "Straight from her too."

"So, you know about..." Sora and Taichi spoke at the same time, but the end turned out different, getting two different names jumbled up. "Wait a minute. I'm talking about..." And this continued for the third time, "But how is... involved?"

Jyou quieted them down, so everyone could get unconfused, "Hold on here, guys. Mimi is with Ken, so why is Daisuke suddenly in the picture?"

"No," Yamato said, "Daisuke has a date with Mimi tonight, so how did Ken get into this?"

"So it's Daisuke and Mimi," Taichi stated.

"No, it's Ken and Mimi," Sora insisted. "We can personally confirm this after spending some time with them. He asked her out last weekend, but most of us just found out today."

"Aaawe crap," Yamato grumbled, "So Daisuke doesn't know anything about it." Sora and Jyou looked bewildered. "He came to us for advice," he explained, "For some reason, he thinks that Mimi likes him in that way. He even kissed her."

"Oh no!" Sora gasped. Then she remembered Mimi's expression when she came back after talking to Daisuke. "That explains why she looked so troubled."

Taichi suddenly stood up and looked panicked, "What time is it?!"

Jyou glanced at his watch and replied, "It's a quarter till six. Why?"

"He's gonna make a fool himself, romancing Mimi!"

"He's gonna what?!" Sora blurted out, getting up. All scrutinizing eyes in the parlor were on them, which made them hurry out the door.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Meanwhile, Mimi had just rang the doorbell to the Motomiya home. The door suddenly flung opened, followed by an irritated voice, "God, Jun! Whacha forget this time?!!" He had thought it was his sister again, forgetting her keys or something, but he was staring at the girl of his dreams instead. "Mimi?! You're early!" he said the obvious, all donned out in a chef's hat and apron.

"We really need to talk, Daisuke," she told him.

"Oh okay." He stepped aside and let her in, but from his innocent expression, he didn't know exactly what she meant by her statement. "I think I found a pretty good recipe we could do. Of course, desserts are the best! There was a seafood cuisine that looked good, but I don't like fish."

"Daisuke," she sighed.

"Yes, Mimi?"

"Sit down first."

"Okay."

He obediently did so, but she remained standing. "It's about us," she began, "About what we have..." She didn't get a chance to finish because he jumped to his feet and grabbed her hands.

"I know we're friends and all, but I really like you, Mimi! The first time I met you, I thought you were really cool... ya know, with your pink hair and all. But it wasn't just looks, you're fun to be around. Your smiles and hugs. They cheer everyone up, especially me."

"Daisuke, please listen to me." She took her hands out of his and placed them on his shoulders, pushing him back down on the couch. "You're a really great guy, but..."

"'But'? There's a 'but'... That's bad, right?"

"I'm already with someone."

He blinked. "You mean... like boyfriend and girlfriend?" She nodded, and he fell back onto the couch, pulling down the chef hat to cover his face. "Aawe geeze, I'm such an idiot!"

Mimi smiled faintly and sat down next to him, "No, you aren't. But really, if I had been single, then I would've gone for you."

He peeked at her from behind the hat, like a child who had broken a dish, "You're not mad at me?" She shook her head. "Not even about the kiss?" She repeated her answer. "And we're still friends even after I confessed my feelings to you?"

"Unless you don't want to be my friend anymore," she said in a pretend hurtful tone.

"No, no! It's just... It'll be kinda weird now."

"It'll only be weird if you make it weird." He blinked, and she sighed and patted him on the back. "Just sleep on it." She stood up, getting ready to leave, but turned around, "Do you still want me to help you with that cooking project for a class you DON'T have? Hmm?"

"How did...?"

"Kari-chan told me."

He chuckled nervously, rubbing the back of his head, "Haha, can't blame a guy for trying, huh?"

She giggled. "I've gotta go. I'll see ya later, Dai-chan!"

Mimi opened the front door, letting herself out, but Daisuke stood up and raced for the door. He swung it opened and saw her departing form down the corridor and called out to her, "Who's your boyfriend anyway?"

She turned around, walking backwards, and shouted, "It's Ken!" She waved and soon disappeared from his sight.

Daisuke sighed, sensing it was his rival, but smiled. For some reason, Ken deserved Mimi more than he did. And even though he was rejected, it didn't feel all that bad. He was sad but definitely not heartbroken, so it had only been a crush, right? But he still couldn't forget about the kiss. Even if Mimi wasn't upset about it, he felt guilty for kissing another guy's girlfriend--more specifically Ken's girlfriend. Although they were rivals, they were still friends, and it would continue to nag him if he didn't get it straighten out with Ken.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Practically ten minutes later, Jyou's car pulled up to a building complex, and the four teenagers stepped out of the car and climbed up the stairs to the Motomiya apartment. And Sora had the honors to ring the doorbell, hoping that they weren't too late to stop Daisuke. They didn't see Mimi on her way there and thought of the worse. She rang the bell a few more times, but no one answered.

Taichi looked baffled, "Wha...? He's not there?"

"That's weird," Yamato remarked, "He was pretty hyped abou the 'date'. Why would he ditch it now?"

"It's ten pass six now," Jyou informed them. "Let's wait a bit for Mimi if she shows up." The others nodded.

While they waited for Mimi, she was already in the Ichijouji home, chatting pleasantly with Ken's mother in the kitchen. She had come straight from Daisuke's place to Ken's, wanting to talk to him, but she met his mother instead. Ken was out getting some groceries for dinner, so she decided to wait. His mother had also invited her to stay for dinner too.

"Oh dear," the woman said, getting a small bottle from the cupboard.

"What's wrong, Ichijouji-san?" Mimi inquired.

"I'm all out of this spice already. Oh, and I didn't tell Ken-chan to buy it either."

"It's okay. I'll just hop over to the store and get it. Maybe I'll even catch him there!" She grabbed her jacket and rushed out the kitchen.

"Thank you, Mimi!"

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Daisuke stood at the semi-busy corner and looked around, uncertain of his destination because he had forgotten he didn't know exactly where Ken lived. It didn't hit him until he walked into the neighboring district. "Well, I know where Mimi lives," he thought aloud, "And Ken lives somewhere near her. So maybe I should go to Mimi's house first?"

Just as he finalized his decision, someone grabbed his shoulders, pulling him back, followed by a screaming voice, "DAI-CHAN!!" That scared the hell out of Daisuke as he pulled away and jumped onto the light post for safety from whatever wacko was there. He looked at the culprit and found Miyako bending over in aching laughter while Kouyako stood behind her, looking embarrassed at the scene she caused with many onlookers giving them strange faces.

"Miyako!" Daisuke yelled, slowly sliding down the pole, "That wasn't funny!" He planted his feet on the pavement again, waiting for the girl to calm down.

"But it was hilarious from my POV!" she chuckled.

"I'm sorry about Miyako," Koushiro said, "We just came from the Coffee Lounge, and I won't mention how many cups she had."

Daisuke glared at a giggling Miyako, but that expression soon disappeared as he took hold of the girl's shoulders. "Miyako! You talk to Mimi a lot, don't ja?!" She nodded and blinked along with Koushiro at his sudden change. "So you would know where Ken lives, right?"

"Yeah, he just lives five blocks from here," she said. "Two streets after Odaiba Cafe. Take a left, and you'll see Tamago Maison on the right. Third floor, house number 21." [Of course, I made all this up! I don't know where Ken-chan lives! Guess what tamago means?! But there is an Odaiba Cafe that's in Minato-ku!]

"Okay. Thanks, Miyako!" After the information, he took off without the others being able to get in another word.

"He's in a hurry," Koushiro remarked.

"Who cares!" she chirped and grabbed his arm, "Let's go see that movie, like you promised!"

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Ken paused outside the local grocery store and readjusted the bags in his hands. He had gotten everything his mother had asked for, and from the items he bought, she was going to make his father's favorite meal tonight. There wasn't any special occasion--just something his mother did every now and then. A few days ago, she had baked Ken's favorite pie just because she felt like it.

Sometimes his father came home from the office late, but he and his mother would wait till he came home to have dinner together as family. He would be exhausted from the work, but it always brought a smile to his face when he enjoyed his favorite dishes. It was this that made Ken realize how simple his parents were--just hard-working, every day people--and how strong they were, moving on from his brother's death. The family had their moments, but through it all, they stuck together to make the most of life.

He did miss his brother, but it was no use in living in a past that could never return. And with Mimi in his life, he would be able to see each day in a newer light. He would have to call Mimi later that night to tell her how excited his grandmother was when he called her an hour ago.

Ken was on his way back to his home when he stopped again in his tracks. He looked around because he thought someone had called him. When he turned around, he saw Daisuke running towards him, shouting his name and waving an arm in the air. "Daisuke?" he said with uncertainty since the young man was usually with his friends, but here he was alone. "What can I do for you?"

Daisuke leaned against a railing to catch his breath, and when he was done, he straightened up and for once looked serious to Ken. "It's about Mimi," he began, not noticing how tense Ken suddenly became. "Did she... umm, mentioned about me today? About what happened between us?"

Ken nodded slowly, "Well yes, she did mention you briefly... but what happened at the mall is between the two of you." Although he was curious as to what happened and what was said between them, it wasn't his place to pry into the situation since it could be something personal to Daisuke.

Daisuke blinked at him, bewildered and amazed at the same time at how calm Ken was after knowing the kissing incident. He was expecting the young man to punch him, or at least get angry, but Ken was just standing there as if the kiss had not happened. "Okay, but you have to know it wasn't Mimi's fault. I mean, if I knew you two were together, I wouldn't have kissed her--"

BAAM!

He never saw it coming as he fell back on the pavement with his left jaw in pain. He could feel the blood flowing from his mouth as he pushed himself in a sitting position. He looked up and saw an enraged Ken with clenched fists by his sides. The groceries scattered by his feet as his dark eyes bore down on an injured Daisuke.

But what bothered Daisuke was the intense, savage look in Ken's eyes. It was like he was another person, another being with an unpredictable rage. Daisuke had anticipated some sort of physical response, but this was beyond what he had imagine. He didn't think Ken had such strength and power with such a punch from his frail appearance.

"KEN?!! DAISUKE??!" came the familiar voice.

Their heads turned to the girl, who pretty much was the center of it, and they realized she had just witnessed the violent act between friends. Of course, it came as a shock to the young men too, but most of all, Ken. He saw the frightened look in Mimi's eyes as she stood there, and he looked over at Daisuke, who was still on the ground holding a hand to his swollen face. He brought his unclenched hands before him, staring them as if they were foreign objects.

He had just hit someone.

So ashamed, Ken ran from the scene. Mimi called after him, but he didn't stop. He just didn't want her to look at him with those eyes and condemn him. She would probably think the worse of him now, after seeing what he could become from jealousy. She was better off with Daisuke. And that was what he didn't want to face right now.

Mimi wanted to go after him, but with Daisuke bleeding, she stayed back and helped him up. She took a handkerchief from her pocket and gently wiped the blood from his mouth, all the while still thinking about Ken. Daisuke stopped her hand, holding it. He looked solemnly into her apologetic eyes and said, "I'll be fine. Go after him."

She nodded and took off towards Tamago Maison. If Daisuke had laughed off his injury as nothing, then she would've remained by his side, but the seriousness in his manners told her otherwise.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

When Mimi reached the Ichijouji door, she rang the doorbell impatiently. It only took a few seconds before the door opened, and Ken's mother stood there as pale as could be. She let Mimi in, who then asked her, "Did Ken come home?! I really need to talk to him!"

"Yes, but when I asked him if he saw you on the way, he didn't say a word and just went to his room. What happened, Mimi? He was so happy today, but now..."

She looked at the floor in shame, "It's all my fault. But even if he hates me now, I have to tell him what all happened." The woman didn't understand what was going on but nodded anyway because she knew what a problem miscommunication and misunderstanding could cause in a relationship. She took Mimi to Ken's bedroom door and left the girl there to speak to him in private.

Mimi knocked on the door, but no response came from him. "Ken? It's me, Mimi," she said, even though he would know from her voice. "Will you let me in. I want to talk to you. Please." Only silence greeted her again, so she tried the door, but it was locked. She felt her eyes becoming moist as she leaned her head against the door. "Please, Ken," she whispered, "I was going to tell you tonight... Daisuke is only a friend. I know I should've told right away, but I wanted to get it straightened out with him first."

She paused, wondering if he was there listening to her. She thought it was hopeless, but when she heard his voice again, she brightened up. "Mimi," he called, sounding like he was directly on the other side of the door, "you're better off without me."


In his room, Ken had his back against the door, but his head was hung low as if his soul, his spirit had left him. It was partly true because his spirit was Mimi, but he couldn't be the reason to hold her back from a better happiness. He had gathered a lot of strength to say those words to her and even more to keep himself from faltering to the floor in tears. He just couldn't let her know how much pain he was going through to push her away from him.

"What?!" her voice cracked in reply, and it broke his heart to hear such sadness from her. He could tell she was on the verge of tears, but she was better off this way. And in a few days, she would be over him and be with someone else.


Mimi lifted her head from the door and stared wide-eyed at it as if it was him standing there and having said those words. She couldn't hold back the tears anymore and let them flow freely down her face. "Ken?! Please don't blame yourself for what happened to Daisuke! It wasn't your fault! I'm the cause of all this, so I'll understand if you hate me... but please, don't think it was you."

She pressed herself against the door, wanting to reach out to him. "Please let me in, Ken," she said softly, "I want to be with yo--"

"NO!" he shouted, frustrated, "NO! Just... just leave, Mimi." There was silence between as she stared at the door again. That had been the first time she had ever heard him yell at anyone, and being the one he yelled at too was a shocker.

"Mimi? Ken?" His mother appeared in the hallway after hearing her son shouting, "What's going on here?"

Mimi didn't answer her. She was still stuck on him, "Ken, I--"

"JUST LEAVE!" he yelled again, "Just think of last week as a fling! A short fling!"

The woman was appalled at hearing that from her son and watched Mimi as the girl stumbled backwards against the opposite side of the hall, utterly stunned at those words. Without another thought, she rushed down the hallway and out of the apartment.


When Ken heard her footsteps echoing in the distance, he finally collapsed on the floor in uncontrollable tears. It really hurt saying words he didn't mean, like someone repeatedly jamming a knife into his heart, but he had to do it for her sake.

For her sake because he loved her too much.

T H E E N D
























Just kidding! Hehee. [quickly runs away before she gets maimed]

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Yamato held the door opened for the three young ladies to enter and followed them in. After quick introductions with the manager and the DJ, they settled in the room while the DJ went on air. Mimi seemed to be the most apprehensive one of the four, sitting in the chair and fiddling with the hem of her skirt. All she could think about was Ken, wondering if he was listening to the radio or not.

As if reading her mind, Yamato placed a comforting hand on her shoulder. "Don't worry, Mimi, I'm sure Koushiro has him tied to the radio. He'll know soon enough of your feelings." She nodded, being too numb to reply.

"If this doesn't work," Miyako began, balling up her fists, "then we'll do it the hard way and pound some sense into him!!"

Mimi and Yamato sweatdropped at the alternate plan while Sora patiently hushed the girl, trying to hide her own nervousness. She still wondered how the others got her dragged into this mess. Sure, she enjoyed being with Jyou and liked him a lot, but did he really feel the same way about her? Even if he didn't say so or he was too shy to, his actions said quite a lot, so why was she doubting him now? Or was she really doubting herself?

He'd always been there for her through thick and thin, doing everything he could to make her happy, and she really appreciated that, but a mere 'thank you' wasn't enough to tell him all she felt. But how did she really feel about him? It went back to that very question of her own feelings.

Sora lowered her head, sighing loudly as if she was in an empty room. Everyone's head turned to her, and she noticed, flushing pink. Miyako giggled, "Jyou'll be easy!! He already likes you, Sora!"

The girl blushed a heavy red, denying it, "NOOOOOOOOOO!! I'm here to help Mimi!! And nothing more!"

Before Miyako could retort, Mimi cut in, calming her friends down with a smile, "Okay you two, I really appreciate your help."

After some announcements, the DJ played a song for the listeners and then came back out to Yamato and the girls. "Ishida filled me in on your situation, and things are already set up," he said as the blonde handed a CD to him, "You girls are up after this song."

"Thank you for letting us do this," Mimi bowed.

"Aah, no problem!" he smiled, "Anything for pretty girls!" The girls blushed while Yamato, with crossed arms, rolled his eyes. The DJ led them into the next room, and the girls stationed themselves over the single microphone that hung overhead. Mimi closed her eyes, praying that Ken would understand and they could be together again. She missed him so much, to see his sweet face and hear his gentle voice, just to hold him and know that neither were dreaming of the love they had.

He just had to give himself a chance.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Ken had been moping in his room for the past days, doing nothing but stare at the teardrop pendant in his hand--the one he had bought at the mall just for Mimi. There was a sparkle of joy in his eyes as he recalled how he had planned to give it to her on their one-month anniversary, where they would be taking their summer vacation in Okinawa. But it all faded away when his lonely situation came back to him. When he realized how quiet and lonesome it was without Mimi, it brought back that night when things fell apart, from hurting Daisuke to breaking Mimi's heart.

He groaned, clutching his head, trying to force it all from his mind, but all his thoughts were always of Mimi. He was no one with a personality like a sponge. He just didn't deserve her, so why couldn't she see that and move on to better guys? She could just turn to Daisuke. He seemed to really like her and would be perfect with her. They were always bright and cheery, able to make people smile and laugh by just being present.

He sighed and slumped on the floor against his bed, letting the necklace dangle from his hand. "It's all for the best, Mimi," he whispered painfully.

He sat in the silence and darkness until the door to his room swung open. His head snapped up to meet Koushiro's form in the doorway, breathing heavily. He was surprised at first, but then he frowned, not feeling like seeing anyone at all. "Izumi-senpai, I just want to be alone right now." He stared at the floor again, but Koushiro didn't back out.

The computer genuis turned on the bedroom lights and then walked over to Ken. He knelt down, placing a radio in between them. "Ken, can't you see how unhappy the two of you are?" he began, "Yes, she may be better off with someone like Daisuke, but did you ever thought of giving yourself the chance to be with someone? Ken, consider your own needs." He placed a comforting a hand on his friend's shoulder as their eyes met.

Although the younger boy seemed distant, Koushiro could see that he always put others before himself, but this time, it was different. When it was about relationships, nothing else matter except for the mutal love between two people. Perhaps a third person could be hurt, but sometimes it was inevitable.

Koushiro smiled, "For once, Ken... be selfish." While Ken stared wide-eyed at him, partly considering those words, Koushiro turned on the radio just in time as a song ended and the DJ came on. He turned back to Ken, "This is a once in a lifetime chance. Cherish what the two of you have."

"Tonight we have a very special request," the DJ said, "This song will be a live performance by three lovely, young ladies, dedicating the song to the love of their lives."

There was a pause, and Miyako's energetic voice boomed from the radio, "Hi, everyone! And a specialy 'hi' to my cutie, Kou-chan!! I know you're listenin' and you better too! Oh and Ken-chan, your ears and heart better be glued to the radio! You know how sad Mi--"

Luckily, Sora took over, speaking shyly, "I don't have a love of my life, but I'd like to take this chance and say 'thank you' to Jyou... for all that you've done for me. I don't know what else to say because words just don't express all of my feelings. Umm, maybe you aren't listening..."

Koushiro's smile grew wider at her last sentence. Maybe Jyou wasn't listening to the radio at the moment, but Koushiro could always play those recorded words for his blue-haired friend to hear.

Ken's eyes nearly popped out of his head when he heard Mimi's quiet and sad voice coming on, "Ken-chan... I want to be with you. I love you. Please listen to your heart." Right after that, the music began...

(MIMI) I don't need any bedroom eyes
Or the fancy ways of flashy guys.
What I like is someone who'll understand,
Holding my hand.

Since we met I have felt so free,
But my clever friends all laugh at me.
What we have is something they just can't see.

(SORA) Day by lovely day,
Carry me away.
Let me promise you
What I'm gonna do.
Give my whole heart,
Even if it's not very smart.

(ALL) Because I know when love is real, you never should be clever.
Clever ways can lose you, what you've waited for.
I've got to show the way I feel when we are here together.
Won't you say you never will be clever,
Let's go on and on forevermore.

(MIYAKO) When we met you were very shy,
Then we gazed into each other's eyes.
I could tell you were shocked when we fell
So much in love.

Music played on a gentle breeze.
There are oh so many memories
Of the night when we knew it was right.

(SORA) Ev'ry waking hour,
We will feel the pow'r.
Tenderness can bring changing ev'rything.
Take my whole heart,
Tell me we won't ever be smart.

(ALL) Because I know when love is real, you never should be clever.
Clever ways can lose you, what you've waited for.
I've got to show the way I feel when we are here together.
Won't you say you never will be clever,
Let's go on and on forevermore...

Because I know when love is real, you never should be clever.
Clever ways can lose you, what you've waited for.
I've got to show the way I feel when we are here together.
Won't you say you never will be clever,
Let's go on and on forevermore...
With their eyes shut tightly, the girls held the last note, pouring all their emotions into the closing of the song, as their voices and music seep into the microphones and into the hearts of all who listened, especially their special guys.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

His mouth hung opened as Ken stared at the radio, too shock to say a word and yet also amazed because it was the first time he had heard Mimi (and the other girls) sing so beautifully. If that radio had been Mimi, he would not hesitate to crush her body against his and never, ever let her go. The girl loved him so much, but all he had been doing was denying that truth to himself. He was like anyone else and deserved the chance to love and be loved.

For some reason, he was still having doubts, even after the girl announced her feelings to the world. Why couldn't he just drop his self-pity?! He had been living in the dark for so long, and here was this opportunity to return to the light, the warmth of her touch. He was such a fool, but a fool in love with an angel.

He snapped out of his thoughts when he felt a hand on his shoulder. He looked up and saw Koushiro smiling at him. He had almost forgotten that the older boy was there. "It's not like me to be irrational," Koushiro said, "but just go for it, Ken. For her, and for yourself."

Without another thought, Ken nodded and hurried out the door. Determination written all over his face.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

After the little performance, Mimi stood alone out in the empty hallway while the girls and Yamato were talking to the DJ. This was the only way she could think of to get through to him. Although the music was a bit upbeat, the lyrics were perfect. She didn't want to be with any guy; she wanted to be with HIM. And she didn't care what others thought, whether it was age or if they appeared mismatched as a couple. Like the song said, when it came to love, you're never smart... but love was in the heart, not mind.

"Cheer up, Mimi!" Miyako chirped. She came out with Sora and Yamato, getting ready to leave the place. "I betcha there's like a hundred messages from him waiting for you at home!"

Mimi smiled faintly, not wanting to make her friends worry, even though they have been for the past few days when they found out what happened. "Let's go home," she yawned, "I'm getting sleepy."

The four of them left the building, heading towards the front gates. Perhaps it was because of Mimi's feelings that the others remained silent. They didn't know how it was on Ken's part since they didn't know him well like their Mimi, but they didn't like how it was affecting her. It just brought everyone down with her, and she was too depressed to even realize it.

Miyako was walking ahead of the others while Mimi lagged behing still in her thoughts. Sora glanced over her shoulder worriedly and exchanged similiar expressions with Yamato. The two stopped when they realized Miyako had done so suddenly. They followed her smiling gaze to the breathless, young man waiting at the gates.

"Oh! I almost forgot I'm supposed to meet Kou-chan after this!" Miyako announced. "I'll see ya guys later!" She ran off, leaving the others behind. Mimi looked up right after that, wondering what was happening. Her eyes spotted Ken, and she gasped, also feeling the lightness in her heart.

Yamato and Sora knew what had to be done, so the blonde said, "I'll walk you home, Sora."

"Why, thank you!" she smiled. "Call me later, okay Mimi?"

"Hmm? Oh, okay. Bye, guys."

When the pair left, Ken walked towards the still Mimi, whose caramel eyes were glued on him. He stood in front of her, and the two remained in silence, revelling in the moment of finally seeing each other. She didn't bother to hold back her tears as they came, and she threw her arms around his neck and hugged him.

He closed eyes, enjoying the warmth of her body against his, and wrapped his arms around her waist. He partially buried his head into her hair, taking in her wonderful scent. "I've been so miserable without you," he whispered. "I'm sorry, Mimi, for all the things I said that night... but I love you... I love you, I love you..." He continued to whisper those words for her, and she cried harder because she was VERY happy (not sad, people).

They pulled apart slightly and gazed into each other's eyes lovingly. With the moon and the stars watching above and the beautiful lights of Odaiba in the background, there was only one thing left for the couple to do: seal their love with a kiss.


T H E E N D
(really this time!)
~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~
SD-ME: Kami-sama! That was just a lame-o ending!

[SD-Ken is blushing.]

Mimi: Hey, it wasn't so bad. Romantic and mushy, yes. Overdone, yes. But it was supposed to be a happy ending, ne?

SD-ME: [sighs] Yeah, I guess... [smiles]Anyway, ya know what?

Ken & Mimi: What?

ME: [grinning] I'm thinking about writing the sequel's sequel!!

Mimi: Meaning...

ME: Ken mentioned summer vacation... so I may write about your time in Okinawa!

Mimi: Yes! I was hoping you'd say that! We're hitting the beach! And I get to wear that bathing suit I just bought! [runs off to get her things packed, leaving SD-Ken and K-chan behind]

SD-Ken: [stunned and very red] B-b-bathing suit?!!

SD-ME: [looks at him slyly] Yes, Ken-chan. A BATHING suit for the B-E-A-C-H, beach. Ya know, the usual outfit one wears to the B-E-A-C-H, beach.

SD-Ken: [still flustered, looks at K-chan annoyed] I know that!

SD-ME: [smiling mischievously] Oh yeah, I forgot to mention... Mimi-chan bought... a bikini.

[SD-Ken is speechless and way, way scarlet!]

SD-ME: Oh I almost forgot! The song is "Clever" from El Hazard TV series!