Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Never My Way ❯ Never My Way ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Mira: Digimon will never, ever belong to K-chan.
SD-K-chan: [crossing her arms, rolls her eyes] Che, whatever.
Mira: If it did, she would have the couples to HER liking. Anyway this is an ALTERNATE UNIVERSE with KENMI.
SD-K-chan: [frustrated, tugging on her hair] We need MORE KENMIs!!!
Mira: That is what motivated her to write this as well as the fact that she had this weird dream about Mimi and Ken getting together... [looks at K-chan] Would you like to explain it?
SD-K-chan: [glares at her] No.
Mira: [indifferent from the glare, turns back to the readers] Most of it will be in the story. Some warnings though. It's a KENMI with faint DAIMI, bits of TAITO...
K-chan: [cuts in, frowning] 'Cause I canNOT stand SORATO!!!!!! I'd rather have TAITO than SORATO any day!!!
SD-Mira: [huge sweatdrop] That's very harsh considering she's not a yaoi/yuri fan. [shrugs] Anyway, there is SORATO, but one-sided, and of course some TAKARI friendship.
K-chan: [shouting] The two are DESTINED for each other!!! But I do like TAKIMIs too 'cause it's cute! We need more of those too!! And DAIMI!!! [runs around, screaming her different, favorite couples]
SD-Mira: [giant sweatdrop] Hmm, now you know some of the couples she supports. You better start the story while I shut her up. [runs after SD-K-chan with a giant mallet]


A KENMI Romance Story
NEVER MY WAY
written by K-chan


His teammates were already dressed and headed out onto the field, but Ken was in no rush to get out there. He looked at the clock on the wall and saw that it was twenty minutes till four. His thoughts were no longer on soccer game but a certain person that had made a great impression in his life.

He tied his shoelaces and stood up to leave the locker room. He saw traces of his teammates leaving the building and followed them. He had tried really hard to become friendly, but it never worked out that way. Everyone still stayed away from, thinking he was immune to all sorts of name-calling and gossips. He was a loner, and it seemed to be written on his face as well as his cold manner.

"KEN-CHAN!" shouted a sweet voice. He looked over to the sidelines and saw a girl with pink hair waving a pair of dark-blue pompoms in the air. He was heading in that direction and slowed down a bit to give her a faint smile.

"Hi, Mimi-san," he said shyly.

Her smile was so warm and welcoming that it could just melt him right on the spot. She wore Tamachi Academy's cheerleading uniform since she was one and the captain at that. She looked beautiful in the uniform, revealing her slender legs--not that the regular school uniform was any different. He always looked forward to soccer practice every other day because of her.

"Do your best!" she cheered, bringing him out of his dazed state. He nodded and walked off to his teammates, but his mind was thinking of the girl again.

Mimi Tachikawa, sixteen years old. She was smart, beautiful, kind, cheerful, talented, and popular. Every guy at the school was head over heels for her, but she never considered any of their drooling selves. Ken always wondered about that when Mimi could have any guy she wanted. It was as if she was waiting for her prince to seep her off her feet and take her away to a far away castle, living happily ever after. Or just maybe Ken was thinking about his own desire to be her prince.

What could she see in him anyway? Sure, he was athletic and quite intelligent, but he wasn't anything close to a prince that she deserved so much. He had been lucky that he was in the same class as her despite being two years younger. She was the first and only to come up to him and give him the most friendliest, geniune smile he had ever seen.

Ever since he was young, he looked up to his older brother with adoring eyes, wanting to be smart and talented just like him. His parents were proud of their eldest son when he entered into Tamachi Academy at a young age, but as much as Ken studied and tried, he didn't make it. His parents were somewhat disappointed, but with one of their sons in the elite school, they were happy.

Even so, Ken never gave up and promised himself he would attend the academy with his brother. Soon, his hard work paid off when he became top of his class in his last year of elementary school, and he would take the academy's exam again. This time he succeeded, but before he could celebrate with his family, his brother was in an accident and didn't survive. Everyone was devastated, and mourning proceeded instead of celebration.

Then he saw her, with her beautiful tears pouring at the funeral, standing out among the visitors because of her pink hair. Although he only gave her one glance at that time without a thought of who she was nor wanting to find out, he found photos of her in his brother's room. Some had him and the pink-haired girl together, smiling or laughing, with friends, but most were only of her. That was when Ken realized that his brother really liked the girl, making him wonder why or how she was special. She was pretty, but his brother wasn't the type to fall for looks only. She had to be special, and Ken did find out how special she was weeks later at the academy orientation.

By then he had begun to push people away from him, not wanting the fake sympathies and the praises and compliments of his brother when they were only strangers. They only knew Osamu Ichijouji as the smartest and giftest student of Tamachi Academy--they didn't know the REAL him, the big brother that looked out and spent time with him.

His parents tried to be happy in front of him, but they were overwhelmed with grief as much as he was. Even though he made it into the academy, it didn't seem enough for them to move on. Life was never the same, and at times he wondered if he could go on without breaking down.

His father lost himself in his job while his mother decided to work too to be less reminded of the family home, and Ken eventually turned to his studies, taking off where his brother had left it, and hoped he could carry out his dreams of being a doctor.

The first half of the game was about to begin as the coach prepped the first players to head onto the field, and Ken was with them. How unfortunate that his school was up against their official rival, Odaiba Junior High, and it turned out he had a rival as well in the form of Daisuke Motomiya.

Ken saw the brunette huddled within his own team as they waited for the final minutes to start the game. He was listening to his own coach, but a flash of pink caught his eyes. He glanced at Mimi and found her chatting with a blonde student who he was not too acquainted with, through Mimi. The coach finally dismissed them, and they dispersed to the fields with Ken slowly trailing behind. He noticed Mimi laughing at something the blonde said and shook her head with the mischievous glint in her eyes. He felt jealous tug at his heart but then turned his attenion on the game as it began.

"Gosh Takeru," Mimi laughed, "You expect me to cheer on Odaiba just because a cutie like you asked me too."

The blonde chuckled at the statement, "Aawe, c'mon Mimi, you know we'll cream your team! We've got Taichi AND Daisuke, ya know."

Mimi raised an eyebrow as she glanced over to the short-haired girl by his side. "He's always been a dreamer, ne?" she said, shaking her head. "I'm sure Ken-kun could beat anyone of 'em in a one-on-one match."

Hikari giggled, "Okay, you guys. The game's already starting."

"Omigosh!" Mimi yelped, running back to her cheerleading squad. She ordered the girls to get ready and began a cheer for the Tamachi team and then added in another one just for Ken.

Hikari smiled and nudged Takeru's arm. The boy looked at her puzzled. "What?"

"Well I was just thinking how Mimi's been talking about Ken a whole lot."

"Really? I haven't noticed," he said thoughtfully.

"Duh, 'cause she talks to ME--I'm a girl remember."

"So? She talks to me too. I knew her before you did," he teased. Hikari rolled her eyes but knew that her best friend was right. Takeru had met Mimi through one of the fundraising programs that his mother participated in, and eventually the two met and became friends. Mostly because of Takeru, Mimi became acquainted with everyone else, like Takeru's brother, and Hikari and her brother as well as a few others from the Odaiba school.

There wasn't any surprise that Mimi could fit in so well with people--she was just a people-person, enjoying the company of others and making new friends--even if she went to a private school. During games that Odaiba had against other schools besides Tamachi, she would attend the games with her friends and cheer their school on.

After the cheer, Mimi joined her friends on the bench and watched the game. She looked over at Odaiba's team and caught Taichi glancing her way. She smiled and waved, and he pleasantly returned the gesture, also adding a few extra hand gestures that Mimi deciphere clearly. She stood up and put a hand on her hips, leaning forward with a finger pulling her lower eyelid, and stuck out her tongue at him. He had the nerves to tell her his team would destroy hers.

Most of the crowd suddenly jumped from the seats and cheered when Ken steathily stole the ball from the opposing team and skillfully maneuvered the ball halfway down the field until he was forced to pass it back to another teammate because Daisuke--Odaiba's second best player--and two others were heading right for him. They broke away from him, but Daisuke lingered around, guarding Tamachi's best player.

"You're lucky," Daisuke said without looking at his opponent. Ken focused on the game but couldn't wonder what he was talking about. "You get to go to the same school as Mimi, even be in the same class."

Ken was shock to hear that from the young man since he had always thought he had a crush on Hikari from what Mimi told him. "And Hikari?"

"Huh? Oh yeah, Hikari's cool, but I think she's more interested in TA."

"You mean TK as in Takeru," he pointed out the nickname error that Daisuke either purposely used or just blatantly forgot. The conversation was soon cut short as the pair strived for the ball that lurched their way.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

The soccer game was soon over with the Odaiba team victorious by a point. There weren't any hard feelings since both sides did play a challenging game with one overtime. [K-chan didn't feel like going through every single detail 'cause she isn't a soccer fan and wouldn't describle a game accurately, so there.]

Ken prepared to leave for home with his thoughts still on his sweet Mimi. When he went through the photos that his brother had, he was surprised to find out how much the girl had meant to him. His brother in fact had a crush on the girl, but it had only been friendship between the two. And now Ken was just following his brother's tracks, but how could any guy not fall for such beauty and character. There was some sort of mesmerizing charm the pink-haired princess possessed. [K-chan: Tongue-twister?]

What luck he had when he caught her coming out of the girls' locker room in a pink tank top and a khaki skirt while he wore black slacks and a blue, flannel shirt over his black t-shirt. "Aah, Ken-kun!" she chirped, dashing right to him. "Perfect timing! You wanna go to Yamato's concert? It's like in two hours!" Ken seemed indecisive about the event even though he had nothing plan that evening except studying, but it was the weekend.

"Oh c'mon, you have to come!" she insisted, linking her arm with his. "You did your best at the game, and it's only Friday, so let's just chill!" Her optimism and reason was appealing, not to mention that being with her was high on his want list.

"Okay, but I have to go home and change first," he said, enjoying the feel of her presence next to his, as they headed out of Tamachi Academy. She didn't seem to notice the periodic glances that he stole at her nor the blush on his face until she turned to him, catching his act, but she only smiled.

When they reached the school gates, they met up with Takeru and the others. "Great game, guys!" the blonde shouted as the pair walked up. Daisuke looked confused as he stared at Mimi with her arms entwined with Ken. It made Ken uneasy under his rival's scrutiny, so he pulled away from Mimi, who took her arm away at the same time.

"Well, I got Ken to join us at the concert," she said, "so we'll all meet there, right?"

"Yeah, now don't be late, Mimi," Taichi teased. She just rolled her eyes and began walking away with Ken since they were headed in the same direction. The others took off in the opposite direction with Daisuke lingering behind a bit.

"C'mon, Dai-chan!" Hikari called, already tagging beside Takeru.

"Yeah, yeah," he answered, stuffing his hands into his pockets, and followed his friends.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

He had half an hour left before the concert would begin, but his band members had already gone out to check the equipments and socialize, leaving him alone with his guitar. He played a short tune and was soon interrupted by a knock on the door. "Come in," he said. The door opened, and a girl with orange-brown hair entered. "Hey Sora, what's up?" he greeted with one of his dazzling smiles.

"Hi Yamato," she said shyly, but his blue eyes were already on the guitar again as he plucked a few chords. "Umm, I was wondering if you'd like to do something tomorrow?"

"Sure," he answered, not looking at her, "what did you and the others have planned?"

"Err, well," she hesitated and walked over to him, getting his full attention again. There was something in her eyes that he didn't like. She seemed to look at him with great admiration like all his female fans did. "I was thinking that the two of us," she ended it there, and Yamato silently cursed himself that one of his good friends had a crush on him.

Sora was pretty and all after she got out of her tomboy stage, but he just wasn't interested. He already had someone, but it wasn't something he was comfortable with it because it would cause a riot among his fans and his band wouldn't appreciate it. When he thought about his secret relationship, his mind always wandered over to Mimi who ended up in being his confidante--that was because she figured it out. But now he had to find an excuse to turn her down easily.

"Oh umm, I don't know... I promised Mimi I'd go shopping with her, so..."

"Aah, that's fine. Maybe after shopping." She didn't plan on another girl being a problem, not to mention Mimi was a good friend of hers. It didn't seem that Yamato was interested in Mimi like that, but they did hang out a great deal. When she thought about it more, even her best friend from childhood spent a lot of time with Mimi too. Did Taichi and Yamato both like Mimi, but the girl didn't seem to show great interest in either as potential boyfriends.

Yamato shrugged, "It's up to Mimi."

She frowned, not understanding--at least fearing the worst of a possible relationship that her friends hid from her. "What do you mean 'it's up to Mimi'?" she asked with slight annoyance in her voice. "Are you two..." From the guilty, consoling look on his face, she knew that he was involved, and her frown deepened. "I just wished you had told me before this!"

In a huff, she turned around and went straight for the exit before Yamato could do anything about it. He sighed and brushed his hand through his golden hair in frustration. "This really sucks," he mumbled. "She probably hates me now, including Mimi."

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Sora stomped down the hallway, feeling miserable at the fact she embarrassed herself in front of the guy she liked. The anger slowly subsided in her, but when she was about to turn the corner, bumping into Mimi, she was upset again. The sudden look on Sora's face caused me to be hesitant in hugging her friend. Her mouth opened, wanting to inquire, but Sora had already begun, "I thought we were best friends."

The pink-haired girl blinked. "We are. What's wrong, Sora-chan?"

Sora wasn't sure what her friend meant by that, if Mimi was taking her as some fool. "Why didn't you tell me? You didn't think I could handle it?"

"Umm... what?" Seriously, Mimi just didn't understand it at all, and of course she didn't because Yamato just thought of an excuse involving her and Sora just took it the wrong way.

"Nevermind," she said and walked off, leaving a bewildered Mimi behind to try to assess the situation. She still couldn't figured it out, but if Sora just came out after seeing Yamato, then he might know about it. She walked into the room since the door was already opened and greeted him happily, "Yama-chan!"

He looked up and smiled faintly. She pouted and sat down next to him, "Oh don't you glum on me too!" She gave him a hug which he returned. "Did Sora-chan talk to you?"

"Yeah," he replied quietly.

"What happened? If you don't mind me asking."

He rubbed the back of his neck, still flustered from the incident with Sora. "She kinda asked me out... I didn't know she liked me THAT way."

"Oh I see," she said, looking thoughtful. "But why was she mad at me too?"

"Heh, well," Yamato nervously began, "that was my fault. I made an excuse that I was hanging out with you... and she kinda assumed that we... were goin' out."

Mimi raised both eyebrows in surprise. "REALLY?" she squealed, clasping her hands together, dreamily, "Oh I'm the girlfriend of the hottest rock star in Odaiba, and even I didn't know it?!!"

It took Yamato a while to see that she was sarcastic about the remark and shook his head wearily. "C'mon, Mimi."

She giggled, patting him on the back. "Okay okay, I don't mind being your 'girlfriend' to the world, but you should at least tell our closest friends about your love life." She looked at him seriously.

He nodded, "I know, but I'm not ready yet. And I don't think he's ready yet either."

"It's okay," she smiled, "I'm quite a patient girl." Just as the topic ended, the knock on the door drew their attention to the visitor, who had quietly stood in the doorway. Yamato's face seemed to brightened up at the sight of Taichi as Mimi stood up and gave him a big hug. She pulled back from the brunette and glance at Yamato with a grin, "Well, I guess I'll leave you two lovebirds for a moment."

The two young men blushed at her comment, and she walked out, closing the door after her. While her friends were having a moment together, she waited outside and pretended to retouch her make-up. It wasn't too long when she spotted Jun's image in her compact mirror and quickly closed it. She announcely loudly, "Yama-chan! Your sweet Mimi-chan's here!"

Mimi had her hand on the door knob, waiting a bit for the couple inside to get their barings back, she pretended to acknowledge Jun's presence, looking back at her. "Hey, you're not suppose to be back here," she informed. "I know for certain that you're not his girlfriend." She knew she was being a bitch about it, but she was covering up for her friends.

Jun pouted, puffing her cheeks in anger, "How would YOU know?!! And what about YOU?!!" She pushed Mimi away from the door and was about to open it herself when the door flew back and Yamato came out with Taichi. "Aaah, Yamato! You look great!!"

He gave her a distant look and said politely, "Yeah, whatever." Then he turned to Mimi, smiling at her like her real, loving boyfriend. "Ready, Mimi-chan?" he asked.

"Of course!" she chirped, getting in between the two guys, and linked her arms with theirs. The three proceeded down the hallway, leaving a speechless Jun behind. The walk was short to the entrance to the backstage. Taichi was still laughing at the expression on Jun's face when they left her back there.

Mimi let their arms go and stepped away from the couple. Before Yamato left for the stage, Taichi held the blonde's hand for a few seconds and gave it a reassuring squeeze. Mimi smiled, rolling her eyes playfully, "You guys are TOO much, but I still love you anyways."

The two looked at her, amused with raised eyebrows. They smiled at each other, able to read each other's minds, and leaned towards Mimi as each young man gave her a kiss on her cheeks. She blushed and brushed it off, "Oh save it for each other! Now let's find the others!" She grabbed Taichi's arm and dragged the unwilling boy away while Yamato laughed at the sight.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

It was almost eight o'clock when Ken reached the club. He just walked in when Hikari shouted his name over the crowd, getting his attention. That girl was either keeping a look out for her friends, or she was just bored waiting for the concert to begin. He soon thought of the first answer when she called out two more names.

Ken turned around behind him and was met by two unfamiliar faces. One was a rather short, young man with reddish-brown hair, and the girl was taller with her long, lavendar hair in a ponytail. The two of them appeared to be a couple as she drapped herself all over the uncomfortable, young man.

"Hey you're Ken, aren't ja," the girl asked. "Mimi-chan's told us about you! Boy, she's SO right!! You're really cute!" she squealed, "I just love your hair! Isn't that right, Kou-chan?!"

Koushiro chuckled nervously, "I apologize for Miyako's behaviors. She is quite lively when meeting new people." Ken nodded, not minding at all. "My name's Koushiro Izumi," he said. "And umm, my girlfriend is Miyako Inoue."

"Yes, I've heard of you. You're Odaiba's computer prodigy." Koushiro blushed at the compliment.

"Yep!" Miyako chirped, almost squeezing the air out of poor Koushiro. "My Kou-chan's such a genius!!"

Ken smiled nervously until Hikari's form caught his eyes. She appeared upset with her hands on her hip, tapping her foot lightly, as if she was waiting for them to join her. Ken gestured towards the staring Hikari, indicating they better head over there before she blew her top at them.

When the three arrived at the reserved tables which were in right in front of the stage but a bit off to the side, Hikari finally sat down again with Takeru and Daisuke already present. Miyako and Koushiro took the empty table by the seated trio, and Ken followed them, not wanting to sit near Daisuke, and sat down on the other side of Koushiro.

Koushiro stood up again, asking his girlfriend, "What would you like to drink?"

"Cherry soda!" she said, filled with energy.

"Ken?" he turned to the young man.

"Coke's fine," he answered. Koushiro nodded and walked off to get their drinks, leaving Ken in an odd situation with the others chatting about as he sat there, wondering where Mimi was.

Miyako exchanged lots of words with Hikari but soon turned her attention to the quiet boy at her table. "So Ken, how did you and Mimi meet?" she asked, striking up conversation.

"When I transferred to Tamachi," he answered curtly.

Miyako stared at him as if she was waiting for an elaborate explanation, but Ken just looked back at her in silence. "Gee Ken, you're too quiet. If you're gonna be Mimi-chan's boyfriend, you should talk more!" she winked at the shock boy. She was about to say more when her head whirled over to Takeru, who asked about Sora's whereabouts.

"Jyou, Kou-chan and I met her outside," Miyako informed, "She said she wasn't feeling well, so she went home. And Jyou volunteered to take her home."

"Gosh, she just got here too," Daisuke added. "They're gonna miss Yamato's concert."

"Who's gonna miss Yama-chan?" asked an angelic voice. Ken looked up and saw Mimi walking towards him with drinks in her hands. Taichi and Koushiro also had their hands full with drinks and food.

"Sora and Jyou," Daisuke answered, jumping up to help Mimi. He took the glasses from her hands and placed them on the table. Mimi was about to say something, but Daisuke continued, "Here's a seat, Mimi." He gestured to the chair next to him.

"Thanks, Dai-chan!" Before Mimi sat down, she handed one of the drinks to Ken and had forgotten about the situation with Sora. "Hi Ken-kun. I'm glad you really came!" she smiled sweetly. He only nodded. "I know you haven't heard Yama-chan play before, but he and his band are great!" Absentmindedly, she sat down in the empty chair next to Ken as she continued to talk about Yamato and his band.

Ken's attention was on the girl before him, but he noticed from the corner of his eye the pouty Daisuke glaring at him. He smiled inwardly at the sudden reversed situation. Suddenly the lights dimmed, and the crowd hushed, but soon they burst into loud shouts as Yamato and his band walked onto the stage. Ken saw one girl shoving her way to the front and tried to reach for Yamato, but he kept a good distance away from the insane girl.

Mimi spotted Jun and giggled at the funny sight. "Hey Daisuke," Taichi called, looking at the same girl, "your sister needs a life. Her obsession with Yamato is crazy."

"Don't I know it," the young man grumbled. "I have to hear 'bout Yamato 24/7! She never shuts up!"

"We just have to get it through her head that Yamato's taken," Mimi said, smiling mysteriously. Only Taichi understood her meaning while everyone just stared at her in confusion.

"Wait," Takeru said, slowly putting his drink down. "MY brother has a girlfriend, and I don't know about it?"

"You two don't live together, remember?" Taichi pointed out.

"WhoIsItWhoIsIt??!" Hikari and Miyako demanded to know. "This is great gossip!" the latter added. Mimi put a finger to her lips, indicating that it was a secret, and winked at them. They really wanted to know, but the band had already started playing, so they would have to bombard Yamato later with questions.

When the music started, Ken listened intently, noting how the others were watching their friend on stage. He admitted that Yamato was perfect in a band with his good looks and voice despite the fact that he wasn't familiar with the blonde. He watched some of the girls throwing themselves at the stage just to touch his shoes or something, and he just didn't understand what was so great about him besides the superficial traits. The blonde didn't seem interested in them anyway.

The thoughts disappeared from his mind when he took a peek at Mimi, who was somewhat nodding her head to the beat. His eyes were observing every detail of her beautiful face. It was like he was looking at an angel with the way light from above struck her face. From her caramel eyes, his gaze soon fell on red lips that were singing the lyrics silently. He wondered what her lips tasted like, most likely sweet.

Ken was lost in his thoughts of her that he didn't realize the song had ended until Mimi asked, turning to him, "What did you think of the song, Ken-kun?"

"Hmm?" he responded stupidly and quickly snapped out of it. "Aah, it was nice."

Mimi giggled at his simple response. "The music's pretty good, but what I like the most are the lyrics."

Ken raised an eyebrow and smiled faintly. "Despite the fact that you help write most of it?" he teased, remembering that she had told him before. She wrinkled her nose into a pout and playfully punched his arm. He played along and pretended to be badly hurt from her attack.

She leaned close to him and whispered in his ears, "You should loosen up more often. You're really cute when you smile." She pulled back with another one of her beautiful smiles, but he was still lost in the moment when she was so close to him--her warm breath against his skin. He tensed up again, finding the place quite warm and crowded. He quickly stood up, excusing himself for some fresh air.

The others saw Ken leave for the exit and glanced at Mimi, who stood up and walked out after him. Daisuke propped his elbows on the table and dropped his head into his hands, sighing heavily. Takeru and the others exchange questioning looks, but no one had an answer and decided to keep quiet.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Ken folded his arms across his chest, leaning his back against the wall of the club. His head was down with his eyes closed in deep thought, but all he could think about was Mimi. "Ken-kun?" He heard her voice and looked up to see her walking over to him. She seemed hurt. "Are you all right? Did I say something wrong?"

"No, not at all." He averted his eyes from her and found something more interesting on the pavement. "It was getting rather hot in there. And quite loud too."

"Yeah," she agreed and joined him against the wall. He almost leapt away from her when he realized how close she was standing to him. She looked at him oddly. "Ken, do you hate me?" she asked him. And for the first time ever since they met, she didn't use any formality with his name. But what shock him the most was her question. How could he ever hate her? At first he disliked her, but that was before he got to know her better.

"No!! Of course not!" he answered too hastily, "I lo--" He quickly covered his mouth, muffling his true feelings. Her beautiful eyes widened at his incomplete sentence, but she knew what he was about to say to her. Moving away from her a bit, he lowered his eyes to the ground again, feeling ashamed to have such feelings for her when she was better off with someone like Daisuke--friendly and funny, just a warm personality.

"You know what?" she said quietly. He didn't answer nor look up, but his body froze up when he felt her body leaning against his. Her head fell on his shoulder as she wore a content smile, closing her eyes to enjoy the serenity. "I think I like the 'loneliness' too."

All his life, he had always thought that things would never go his way from being denied into Tamachi Academy the first time to the death of his brother, and even when a Mimi Tachikawa stole his heart, he knew he could never be the special guy for her. He tried to push her away with his coldness, but it only spurred her on to reach him, to find and understand the real him. In the end, he had only hoped to have her everlasting friendship.

But after tonight, it was all changing, and Ken had to smile at her words as he gazed down at the girl in pink. Maybe this time, things would go his way, starting with her.
~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Wow, I actually finished a Digimon story!! Unbelievable!! It all did start from a dream, so now I'm a peace since it's complete. But you never know there could be a sequel! It may seemed rushed too... [looks sheepish] 'cause well, I kinda finished like 4/5 of it in one day. Anyway I felt like writing a definite KENMI... although this piece seem to focus a lot on Ken's feelings. Maybe the possible sequel could focus on Mimi's. Fair, ne?

How was the TAITO? This is the first fic ever that I've added yaoi though it wasn't anything much... I thought the scenes with Mimi were cute.

I have nothing against Sora--just SORATO!!! Heh, and I do find Jun annoying... but I do not intentionally bash characters I ha--err, dislike a whole LOT... Aaah, who cares what I think, right? Good. [sighs] I'm talking to myself again...

At first this was untitled and then I gave it what it is up there even though Ken did get his way at the end, ya know the girl he liked. I think the title also spoke out on behalf of Sora, Jun, and Daisuke... and perhaps somewhat of Hikari too since there wasn't a definite TAKARI. i just thought i'd share that piece of information with everyone... umm, who cares?

K-chan =^-^=



IMPORTANT STUFF: The song "Daijoubu" (meaning 'It's All Right') is the opening song to the anime "Boys Be..." sung by Maeda Aki-san. But these English lyrics were written by me in a way that you can sing it to the song itself! Neat, huh? I've been doing that a lot lately.

Anyway I thought the song (and my written lyrics) would go well with the KENMI story I wrote, Never My Way. Enjoy!


A Songfic to Never My Way
IT'S ALL RIGHT!
written by K-chan


His eyes slowly fluttered open at the wonderful aroma drifting over him. Finally awake, Ken could only stare at the unfamiliar ceiling as if he was still half in his dream. There was a sense of deja vu as he tore his gaze from the ceiling and observed his position in the living room.

He was still lying on the couch when he noticed a pink blanket covering his body. He decided to sit up, examining the covers like it was a foreign item, and then the corners of his lips curled into a smile.

Why? The sadness,
I can see it deep in your eyes.

He held the pink covers against his face to feel its softness and overwhelm himself with her sweet fragrance. He closed his eyes and began to remember how he awoken in her house.

Voice, my voice,
Wishing someday it will reach your heart.

His father was out of the country on business while his mother would be working late that evening, so that left Ken with having to make his own dinner. He wasn't in the mood to cook, so he went out to the local cafe for a meal.

Only if he had enough courage to just ask her out on a date. Even if they were hanging out together (and sometimes with friends) a lot lately, those times were more between good friends than anything. He sighed as he continued to walk to his destination.

Memories of you and me,
So many I hold in my heart.

When he walked into the cafe, he was surprised to see her and Yamato at a table together. He slowly edged to the far right, not wanting to disturb the two since they seemed to be having a great time together.

When we smile or pour our tears,
These are the times we won't forget.

It was too late when she caught his lonely form and called out to him, waving like the vibrant girl she was. Ken had no choice but to join them, putting on a weak smile.

Apparently, Yamato had just dropped to exchange a few words before leaving for an engagement with Taichi that evening. Ken wasn't sure if his departure was a good thing or bad because he was now alone with the girl he liked, but he didn't know what to do or say now, like the many times before.

With your eyes to the sky, take this gentle breeze off to another day.
And we'll keep this feeling in our beating heart s, embracing love and warmth.

They had dinner there and talked about all sorts of things, later getting on the subject of her parents being out of town for the weekend. She then wore this smile that he knew very well, and it usually occurred when she had an idea.

It turned out to be an idea he would never dreamed of turning down. It was an evening he would treasured for the rest of his life, spending precious hours with her even if it was just to watch these supposedly scary American movies.

Though things will bring us down, and there will be times our smiles can't stop the pain,
You and I, together, we will be all right.

Someone tapping the tip of his nose brought him out of reminiscing state, and his deep, violet eyes were then gazing into a pair of caramel eyes he loved seeing. Mimi laughed at his adorable, sleepy appearance and brushed some stray bangs from his eyes. He blushed, enjoying her touch against his skin, and noticed that she was wearing a frilly, white apron.

Fine. Every time
You throw all of your troubles away,

She pulled him along upstairs and showed him the bathroom, so he could freshen up for the big breakfast she made for them. She left him there and returned to setting up the table. She always felt happy before, but this time, she was beyond that point as if she was in heaven as if she could live with just Ken by her side.

Heart, your heart,
Will grow strong with each step of the way.

The two of them were soon eating breakfast outside on the patio that overlooked the swimming pool. They talked, laughed, and teased each other endlessly, but somehow the conversation caused them to forget about their meal...

In the sky, I feel so new,
Holding the strength of the sun.

And Ken had Mimi thrown over his shoulder as he prepared to throw her into the pool. She playfully threatened him several times, but he laughed it off. She was eventually thrown in but without having a good grip on his shirt, Ken had lost balance and joined her in the pool.

In your heart, don't you feel it
Burning like a deep sensation?

They splashed each other like crazy and later played a game of 'cat-and-mouse', having ignored how silly it was for fully clothed teenagers to be behaving like five-year-olds.

Even if the tears flow and the pain still hurts, never give up your dreams.
No matter what stands in our endless way, just believe in a smile.

Mimi climbed out of the pool with Ken on her tail. She didn't make it too far as he flung himself at her, wrapping his arms around her petite body, and the two landed on the grass, breathing heavily from their morning fun.

The door of light is only a reach away, just never be afraid.
I'm so sure, I'm so sure we will be all right.

She rolled onto her back as he inched his way up to her, keeping his body pressed on top of her so she couldn't escape. Still breathing hard, she managed to laugh energetically and brushed her hands through his wet, flattened hair. His face was hovering her, engraving every single detail of his pink-haired angel into his mind and heart.

Her pink lips were so tempting as he unknowingly inched down closer to her. She had ceased laughing, gazing into this beautiful eyes, overwhelmed by the intense moment. Her eyes shifted to his lips, noticing how close they were.

Realizing his mistake, he slowly retreated, angry with himself for such a stupid move. Surprised, she didn't hesitate to pull him back to her, and at the same time, she lifted her head just enough so their lips could touch in a blissful kiss. Her arms around his neck kept a shocking Ken against her as both closed their eyes and deepened the kiss.

They slowly broke from the kiss, gazing dreamily into each other's eyes, and smiled.

With our mem'ries in us, we'll keep walking till we find our future,
So we can see what surprises lie ahead to take within our hands.

They continued to lay in the grass, letting the sun dry them off, as he held her against him with an arm wrapped around her body. She laid her head peacefully on his chest, and her hand was securely holding his own. She sighed happily, closing her eyes to revel in his warming embrace.

Though the road will be long and filled with harm, we will be together.
With this map of our dreams, nothing can stop us...

An hour later, Ken was standing in his clean (machine-washed-and-dried) clothes again outside the Tachikawa house. He was staring off into space, thinking about nothing but that eventful morning with Mimi, who was still not out the door yet...

With your eyes to the sky, take this gentle breeze off to another day.
And we'll keep this feeling in our beating hearts, embracing love and warmth.

He finally found his courage to ask her out on an official date, making her his official girlfriend now. He smiled at how she had immediately glomped him after that, and at first, he had thought she was attacking him for such an impossible question.

He turned around to the front door when he heard Mimi announcing her appearance. She appeared in a spaghetti-strapped dress of floral pink, and hair was pulled back into a ponytail except for two curls around her face, making her more beautiful.

Though things will bring us down, and there will be times our smiles can't stop the pain,
You and I, together, we will be all right.

She smiled, satisfied with the awed look her boyfriend was giving her, and gave him a quick kiss on the lips. He returned her smile and then held out his arm to her. She gladly accepted it, hooking her arm with his, and they walked out to the new day as a dream that is never impossible.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Wow, wasn't that just a kawaii KENMI?!!! I don't know... but I was in a mood to write a KENMI--at least a songfic!! I've been listening to this song all week, and I just love it!! Hmm, but maybe you'll see another KENMI story from me soon... Please tell me what you think, okie? Thank you for reading this!! [bows deeply] =^_^=