Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ New Addiction ❯ Are You Sad? {Song Chapter} ( Chapter 7 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

New Addiction 7

Are You Sad?

Disclaimer: I do not own Digimon Tamers or Our Lady Peace.

<your life has seemed so hard

It's been dried up angels

That can't keep guard>

Mako gave up on yelling at Beelzemon to come back and kneeled down to try to calm down his sister. "Ai, please, stop crying. Beelzemon wasn't going to hurt you. He's our partner. He'll never hurt you!"

"Go away," she muttered.

"What have you been taking?" he demanded. "Don't you know that drugs are bad for you?" He was interrupted by screeching tires, breaking glass and bending steel. "What the?" he stood up to witness a horrific scene. "No!" He ran toward the street. Mako almost got sick when he pushed his way through the crowd to see a kid lying down on the street. His neck was twisted in an angle no human could make possible. Mako crouched down. The boy's eyes looked up lifelessly at him. He was dead; there was no doubt in Mako's mind that he was dead. And his name used to be Perry. Mako couldn't believe it. Perry couldn't be dead because Mako wanted to ask him a lot of questions.

"Oh my god, Perry, he's," Mako mumbled, "He's dead!"

"He just…ran out," the driver said, hysterically. "I didn't have time to stop…oh my gosh.."

"What made him run out like that?" an observer asked.

"He was high," Mako said. "I've got to call the police! Who has a cell phone?"

"I've got a cell phone!" someone announced. Mako took it and dialed the emergency number.

"Police, I want to report an accident. There have been people taking drugs."

"Drugs?" someone whispered.

"I don't know what kind of drugs," Mako muttered impatiently. "LSD maybe, I dunno. Just get here to the beach please. Everyone here is doped on something and my sister is one of them." After giving more information, Mako returned the phone. "Thank you."

"Do you know who that kid is?"

"His name's Perry Tusuko," Mako said, shivering. He stepped back toward the beach, where his sister was still sitting, mumbling to herself. He hoped that she didn't see what happened. He fell down next to her and put his arms around her, bawling like a baby. "Oh Ai…What have you done?"

Less than thirty minutes the police came. Mako stopped crying. "Ai, stay here, all right?"

Ai didn't reply. She was zoned out to the world.

Mako went to the police to give tell them that he was the one who made the call. He tried not to stare when a blanket was put over Perry's corpse and he was lifted onto a gurney.

"Do you know if anyone's left the party, son?" the police officer asked.

"I don't think so," Mako said.

"Have you taken anything?"

"No!" Mako shouted. "I came here because I was looking for my sister. I got a call from someone saying she was here."

"You know who?"

"No. Look, my sister needs a doctor. I don't know what all she's had."

"She'll get a doctor," the officer said as another one handcuffed Ai, "at the station." Other guests at the party were booked and escorted to cars.

"The station?" Mako asked. "Wait, you can't do that! She's just a kid!"

"She's been having illegal drugs," he said. "You can come now or later."

"You've got to take her to a hospital," Mako insisted. "She's sick! You can't take my sister to jail!" A female cop led Ai into the police car. Ai was stumbling over her own feet. Mako went over to his sister before the cop closed the door. "Don't worry, Ai, everything will be okay."

Ai blinked and looked around, "this is a nice car." She said, stoned.

"You'll have to come with us too." The officer said. "Unless you want us to book you."

"I'll come," Mako muttered, "because my sister needs me. I have to let my parents know."

<I'm trying to reach your hand

but I'm on fire>

On the roof of a building, Beelzemon was brought down to his knees as he sobbed. He didn't' want to leave Ai but he did because he couldn't bear to see her look at him with such fear in her eyes. He wanted to make her see that he wasn't going to hurt her. The digimon didn't understand what drugs could do to a person. He didn't know what else to do but leave. Ai wanted him gone and because he loved her so much, he left. It was hard for him to do, but easier to stay behind and watch his partner crumble in front of him, screaming for him to go away.

"Ai, I'm sorry I scared you," he cried. "Please forgive me…I hope you'll let me come back. I hate being away from you and Mako. It tears me up inside!"

****

Mako watched helplessly when Ai and the others were fingerprinted and photographed. His sister was acting totally unlike herself. He kept thinking to himself that wasn't Ai in there. It was someone else. His sister would never be a drug addict. No way. Ai was too smart for that. The door opened and his parents and girlfriend came in. "Mom. Dad." Mako mumbled, running to his parents. He embraced them, shedding tears. His father looked angered and his mother worried and Suzie had a look of guilt on her face.

"What happened, Mako?" his mother asked.

"I dunno…I just got to the party and everyone was getting high. Ai was at the party last week that was on the news."

"I don't' believe it," his father said. "She's grounded for life!"

"Why did they bring her here?" his mother asked. "They should've taken her to a hospital."

"I asked them too but they wouldn't listen to me," Mako said. "Beelzemon's gone again. Ai was scared of him. I think she was on LSD when we got there. I just…can't believe it!"

Suzie frowned and stepped away. She covered her face and started to sob. 'What have I done?' she wondered. She couldn't' be around them now and started to walk away. Getting another hug from his mother, Mako noticed this.

"Suzie, where are you going?" he asked, walking toward her and grabbing her arm.

"I thought I'd call Ai's friends," she said.

"Don't' go, Suzie, I need you." He put his arms around her and Suzie's tears streamed down her face. "Please stay with me, all right?"

Suzie's mouth trembled. "Mako--I--I'm sorry."

"It's not your fault."

"But it is!" she exclaimed, pushing him away. "Mako…I knew…I found out about Ai's drug doing yesterday."

"You what?" he demanded, appalled, "Suzie, why didn't you come to me?"

"I wanted to, Mako," she said. "I was going to bring Ai with me to the principal's office but Ai freaked. She said if I told anyone that she'd never be my friend again."

"She said that because she was scared," Mako said. "You should've known that!"

"Mako, I'm so sorry! Ai said she was going to quit. I even watched her flush the marijuana down the toilet after I found it in our locker." Suzie cried. "I wanted to believe her. I was afraid she'd never trust me again."

Mako shook his head, not wanting to hear of it.

"Mako, please…"

"My sister did for you what you wouldn't do for her!" he shouted. "When you had your bulimia problem she told someone but you closed up like a clam! That's worse than her hating you! My sister is in jail now!"

Suzie cried harder, "I am so sorry!"

Mako turned around, "Go away, Suzie. I need to be alone with my family."

His mom looked at Suzie and then at Mako, "she didn't say what I thought she said, did she?"

"Yeah, mom, Suzie knew," Mako said. "She knew and didn't tell anybody."

Suzie ran out of the station. She deserved to hear all that. "I knew I should've told somebody!" She had a strong need to binge and purge again but she had no money on her to buy something. If only she had a few bucks to her name, and she'd throw up all she could.

***

Kazu was flipping through the channels, trying to find something good on. "Crap. Crap. Seen it. Seen it. Haven't seen it yet, but know how's it going to end. Man, 257 channels and nothing on!" he snarled. He nearly passed the news when his father told him to stop.

"Kazu, quit it!" he hissed. "If you're not going to watch anything, I'll watch this."

"Oh, the news is always so boring," he muttered.

The news reporter talked about a party with drugs and one fatality. A picture of Perry Tusuko came up on the TV.

"Hey, I know him!" Kazu exclaimed.

"How well?" his father demanded.

Kazu looked over at him as if he had been offended. "What do you mean by that?" Kazu asked. "Drugs are for losers!"

Kazu grinned and smoothed out his hair when there was a hurried knock on the door. "I must be popular today." He said and walked to open the door. He was surprised when he found young Suzie Wong standing in front of him. "Suzie, hey, what's happening?"

Suzie raised her head. Her mouth was trembling. "Kazu…I…I need help. I knew no where else to go!"

Kazu grabbed her by the wrist and pulled her in. "What's wrong?"

Suzie saw Kazu's dad watching the news. She looked back down. Kazu looked at the TV screen and pulled Suzie down the hall.

"What's going on?" Kazu's father demanded.

"Nothing," Kazu said. "Just continue to watch the news."

He sat Suzie down on his bed and he sat backwards on a chair, leaning his arms on the back. "Want to talk about it? You want anything?"

Reminded how sweet Kazu was to her when they were dating, Suzie started to cry. Maybe she should've have held on to them, then Mako wouldn't have gotten so mad at her.

"Suzie, what's wrong?" he asked, rubbing her arm.

She shook her head. "No, don't' give me anything, Kazu. I'll throw it up."

His face became serious, "You're not bulimic again, are you?"

"Now…but I'm so upset that I want to be. Oh, Kazu," she said. "I've made a horrible mistake!"

"What do you mean?"

"You saw the news?" she asked.

"Just a little."

"About the party?"

"Yeah, so?"

"Ai was there!" she shouted.

Kazu cocked his head. "What? You've got to be kidding. What would she be doing there?"

"She was dating Perry!" Suzie cried. "After Masahiko broke up with her, she was so depressed and she got close with Perry. They've been doing drugs together, Kazu! And I knew about it! I found out yesterday and I told nobody!"

"That's terrible," Kazu said. "Why didn't you tell anyone?"

"Ai made me promise not to tell anyone. She said she'd quit and being a dope, I believed her!" Suzie cried. "I only told Abby yesterday when I saw her in the park. I knew I should've taken her advice. Now my best friend is in jail because of me!"

"She's been taken into custody?"

"Yes. It's all my fault, Kazu!"

"No it isn't," Kazu said. "It was just a mistake, Suzie."

"I'm why she started taking the drugs in the first place," Suzie muttered. "She told me so. Ai got jealous of me. I was spending more time with Millie than her. Why didn't I see it coming?"

Kazu put his hand on her arm. "Hey, you were scared."

"Mako was so angry with me," she whispered. "I deserved all I got. Oh, Kazu…what have I done? Why didn't' tell anyone?" Suzie pulled her fist up to her forehead, shaking with grief.

Unlike Mako, Kazu was more understanding. Of course he was--it wasn't his sister in jail for drugs. He got up from his chair, sat down next to Suzie and wrapped her arm around her. Suzie remembered about all the good times she had with him. She started to sob as she brought her face to his shoulder.

"Just let it out," Kazu whispered. "It's okay."

Suzie cried harder into Kazu's shoulder. He pulled her close and let her cry all she wanted.

***

<Stop pretending when

they say that

you're nothing>

Mako waited as his parents talked to his sister through a window with a telephone. They were unable to touch her, to hold her, to tell her how happy they were she wasn't hurt. Ai was a bit too stoned to talk but she was soon coming around. After they talked to her, it was Mako's turn. He put the phone up to his ear. He wasn't sure what to say.

"Are you okay?" he asked.

"What am I doing here?" she questioned.

"You were doing drugs."

"Oh," she replied. "How'd you find out? Suzie told you, didn't she?"

"Yes, but a bit too late."

Ai sighed.

"Why did you go to the party?" Mako asked.

"I wanted to," Ai replied. "One last party before I quit."

"Were you really going to quit?"

"Yes!" She hissed.

There was a moment's silence; finally, Mako decided now was the time to break it to her.

"Ai, I've got bad news." Mako said.

"What?" she asked.

"It's about Impmon," Mako began reluctantly.

"Oh, yes, where is he?" Ai said. "Where's my partner? I miss him."

"He's gone, Ai."

"What do you mean he's gone?" she demanded. "He cant' be!"

"Beelzemon and I went out looking for you," he explained. "We went to Katou's family restaurant and then to the place Beelzemon took you for that party you went to last week."

"He remembered?"

"Yes. Then we got a call from someone. He knew we were looking for you and he told me where to find you."

"Who was it?" Ai asked.

"I dunno. But his voice was familiar. He told me to go to the beach and that was where we found you, with Perry. Beelzemon got angry and pulled him off of you."

"Beelzemon was jealous?"

"More than that, Ai," Mako said. "He was scared! You must've been high on LSD and you kept walking away Beelzemon the closer he got to you."

"That's not true," Ai said, shaking her head. "Why would I do that?"

"You probably didn't' see Beelzemon," Mako suggested, "you saw something else. A hallucination from the LSD. You were so scared of Beelzemon and he didn't understand why. He kept telling you not to be afraid--that everything will be okay." Mako began to choke up. "But you told him to leave you alone. You wouldn't let him near you."

"I'd never do that!" Ai cried. "You're lying! I love Impmon!"

"Of course you do, Ai. But you didn't recognize him because of the drugs you were taking. Then Beelzemon flew away."

"Why?"

"Because he loves you, Ai," he answered. "It hurt him so bad to see you afraid of him. You kept screaming for him to leave you alone--for him to go away and because he loved you so much, he left so you wouldn't be afraid anymore."

Ai started shaking with anger. "Where'd he go?"

"I don't know. I called to him to come back but he just left."

"This is unbeleiveable. We lost our partner again, Mako!" she cried. "We may never see Impmon!"

"Oh, he'll come back," Mako insisted. "He's probably waiting for us at home."

Ai swallowed. She noticed the other people from the party talking to hteir parents. "Hey, these people were at the party."

"Yes."

"Where's Perry?" Ai asked. "Why isn't he here? When will they bring him in?"

"They wont' be bringing them in, Ai."

"What? Why not? Did they take him straight to prison? Are they still questioning him?"

"No. He wasn't very lucky."

"What do you mean?" Ai demanded. "Mako, where's Perry? Don't you know?"

Mako got nervous. "Perry's not here 'cause he's gone."

"Gone? Did he run away before the cops come?"

"No, Ai. Perry's…Perry's dead."

"Dead?"

"Yes, Ai. Perry is dead."

"You're lying!" she cried. "He cant' be!"

"It's true, Ai. I saw it."

"What happened? Mako, what happened to Perry? How'd he die? Was it an overdose?"

"Something like that," Mako replied with a sigh. "He must've gotten scared of Beelzemon too. Maybe it was the drugs. He was so high and messed up that he ran into the street and…he got hit by a car."

"Why didn't you call an amubulance?" she demanded. "He could've made it!"

"He was dead when I got to him," Mako said. "His neck was broken. He was bloody all over."

"I don't believe this! Perry can't be dead--he's just a kid!"

"You're one of the lucky ones, Ai," Mako reminded. "You're a kid."

"Shut up!" Ai shouted. "I won't hear it! Perry can't be dead. He's my friend!" she hung up and shot an angry glare to her brother through the class. The guard cuffed her again and pulled her to the back.

"Ai wait!" Mako pounded on the glass. He groaned and his parents came.

"Come on, Mako," his mother said. "Let's go home. We'll bail her out tomorrow."

"All right."

***

<Are you sad?

Are locked in your room?

Are you holding yourself?

You shouldn't be.>

When they got home, Mako couldn't' sleep. He sat on his bed, holding himself. Waiting for Beelzemon to fly in any moment, he looked out his window. He lost his partner, his sister and his girlfriend all in the same day, but in different ways. His sister to drugs, his girlfriend to distrust and his partner to desertion--again.

He sighed and put his arms around him tighter. He wished he had them back. He never felt so bad in his life. He shoudlnt' have gotten so angry with Suzie. He still needed her.

<I'm drowning inside your head help me

to answer help understand

but it's been so long

since we've talked like friends

Please forgive me,

I'm just a man who's made mistakes.>

TBC