Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Oasis ❯ Oasis: Truth ( Chapter 6 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

**Warning/Disclaimer** AU Daiken/Kensuke, magic, love, etc. Yaoi, btw, so don't get all confused or anything. Hay! Tai's in this one! And Yama!! *cough* um…yeah…

**Digimon, their characters don't belong to me. I do, however, own the concepts of 'Mancer, Glyphmage, and all the extra stuff like what Daisuke is. (tis my own creation, you know.) The characters Riku and Sorah are from the game Kingdom Hearts--*grin* I changed Sora's name to Sorah so you wouldn't get confused with which Sora I was referring to.

**Other notes-When Daisuke is speaking to Jun and his kind, he is using Japanese terms-in fact, I plan on having him use the jap. Language as his native/breed language. …O.o….i know it's weird-I planned on having a whole convo of japenese words-actually was going to ask someone to translate the script into Japanese…^^…but that'll have to wait. It'll sound cooler if I have it being 'overheard' as a different language, and then getting asked about it. =^_^=

*Winner of herongale's Kensuke contest! Woo!

<b>~Oasis~</b>

~Truth~

~Two Days Past~

"It is ready, Sire-the men await your presence."

Standing near the window, bathed in a pale faded sunlight-the drapes were gauzy enough to allow only the tiniest amount through-the Kaizer peered out into the clouds skimming through the pale blue of the sky. He made no move, no acknowledgement that he had heard the words of Oikawa-but then, the man never need acknowledgement.

After a moment, watching the indistinct silhouette of a bird high in the air, he tore his gaze from the view and turned his head. "Oikawa?" he spoke, sounding oddly confused. "it's you, isn't it?"

"Yes, Sire," the man in black replied with a smile on his face intended to soothe. "How are you feeling?"

"I feel…tired," the Kaizer mumbled. Dispiritedly his eyes dropped to his hands, gloved in a dull black leather and thing strong straps that secured them about his wrists. He frowned in a slow confused way. "I keep finding myself dressed up like this," he remarked offhandedly. "I don't understand…"

Oikawa made a soothing noise, his hands moving slightly at he neared. "It's nothing-you remember, the illness? Do not worry over the things you cannot remember, Osamu. Trust me, I'm here to help…let me help…" His long spidery hands took the wrists that the young man was examining and gripping them tightly.

"Look at me, Osamu."

Obediently, the young man raised his eyes, his expression calm.

Oikawa lifted a hand before the smooth face, smiled reassuringly, and twisted his fingers into a strange and complicated pattern. The Kaizer's eyes flew to the hand, compelled, fascinated-

And after a moment, with Oikawa whispering a word into his ear, confusion fled, chased by the strange half-mad look that filled the indigo eyes.

"It is time, Sire."

~\*/~

"I want you to go and retrieve my brother, Ishida."

Calmly, the blond raised his head from his kneeling position and shivered. Armorless and weaponless he looked as Osamu, dressed in full Kaizer regalia-all black leather, straps and silver etching-strode into the room. He almost crackled with energy, his eyes a tad more wild than usual, and his grin a bit wide.

"Sir," he greeted. Ishida shivered again in his thin clothes, knowing how fine of a line he walked with this deception, and made his voice neutral. "Have you an idea of where the rogue would take him?" he asked in his most respectful voice.

A moment later, as the Kaizer flowed to the raised throne, a darker shadow entered the marble hall and glimmered to where the throne rested. It paused and slowly reformed itself into the man the Kaizer held close.

~Oikawa-~ Ishida growled inside his head, hating the bitter acrid smell of the thing seated on the lowest stair. ~…demon…~

"I do," the Kaizer purred, seating himself in an elegant sprawl upon the cold and hard throne. The room itself was cold and nearly colorless marble, scentless and tasteless. Ishida hated the room-hated the faded bloodstains upon the floor hid only by ceremonial carpets, the coldness of the room. Ishida knew, if he looked very closely, that there would be nearly a dozen guards secreted in the shadows at the wall's edge. Oikawa smiled faintly at Ishida, as if he could hear the hateful thoughts.

The Kaizer watched him from behind tinted lenses, one gloved hand idly stroking his cheek, his gaze predatory and sharp. "You will bring the mancer to me as well," came the next comment. "I wish to…speak…to the boy." Then he smiled, slow and languorous-but Ishida knew of the dangerous anger behind that smile. He dragged his gaze from the oily-seeming man in black-he was mildly proud that his face hadn't twitched and betrayed his expressions-and nodded to the Kaizer.

~I can do nothing!~ he reminded himself sharply. Inside he was trying desperately to think of a way to twist this into a more favorable position, a way to make it easier. "Anything else, sir?"

"No, you are to merely deliver them to me."

"Then I do as you will, sir," Ishida remarked, bowing his head. He glanced up from beneath the fringe of his golden hair, seeing Oikawa turn to murmur something. The man always seemed to be around, always muttering advice, looking odd and smelling worse.

~There's something wrong about that…thing. The way he moves, the way he regards the Kaizer-as if he knows a secret and gloats…~

But the thought was forced to flicker into the back of his mind as the Kaizer spoke. "Excellent, Ishida. Come, I will show you the location…"

~\*/~

~Here and now~

The noise sent him scuttling backwards, into the deep shadows of an arched doorway and piled crates. It was an eruption of sound, of people, as the three figures on horseback made their way into the center of the gates. People cheering, yelling and generally rejoicing that one who was important to them had returned. It was frightening.

Heart pounding, Ken pressed himself against the rough grain of the wood, thankful that no one noticed his shock, his aversion to the crowds. His eyes took in the way the people-even though he knew that less than fifty-some adults and a scattering of children wasn't a very large group-he felt hesitation, fear and a lot of anxiety over the entire situation. His eyes were drawn to the one in the center, the one dressed in loose clothing and a large floppy hat that hid his face from this distance. That one was obviously the 'Tai' the others spoke of.

~I feel like I should know him-~

Ken watched the other two arrivals dismount, drawn to the calm motions in the midst of the excitement. Those two were draped in thick cloaks the color of a greenish tan, hidden from all view in every way, the only thing visible of significant notice was their swords peeking from beneath the dragging edges of their cloaks. Faint glints of armor from beneath the fabric, and leather cords. Regardless, something tugged through him at the sight of them-as if he recognized something about them…

But like the first figure, he couldn't quite place the fragment of memory.

He watched as the crowed gathered around the man in front, clamoring with questions about his travels, about his companions, how he found them and similar queries. He watched as Hikari worked her way forward-remembered belatedly that this Tai was her brother-and watched them clasp each other in an embrace. Takeru was there, grinning wide and with a slender woman of lavender-pale hair-he noticed that a pair of daggers rested at her hips and a slim rapier across her back and knew her to be Miyako-The smaller one, Iori, was there, nodding greeting among the older students-Riku and a younger man with wild brown hair were in the crowd as well.

Only a few recognized faces, among so many different ones, so many strangers. Ken found it hard to breath, thinking of it. He found it frightening, found himself battling the instincts to hide, wondered why he felt so exposed and in danger. Despite it all, he found himself trailing forward out of the shadows and after the electrified crowd-the two companions that had arrived with Tai were trailing near the back, all but forgotten except for the curious child. A yearning to fit in, to be a part of something, slivered through his thoughts and deep into his heart.

And as he took the first step forward and away from the shadows of the building, something caught his arm, and a voice spoke.

"Ken-"

Startled, Ken drew a sharp intake of breath and turned his head to face the one who had such a firm grasp on his arm, eyes wide in surprise. "You!"

~\*/~

A faint flicker of uneasy surprise teased at him as he crouched on the branches in the trees above the town. He hadn't expected Tai to return with two people-much less the two he suspected they were. While he wasn't surprised as much to see them there, it goaded him that they thought him incapable of living long enough without the interference of kith and kin.

His gut twisted, the angle of his position preventing him from catching a glimpse of Ken, his wards around his mind preventing a full sense of feeling out exactly where his bondmate was. He knew the boy was out and around, was glad that Ken was no longer angry enough to seal himself away, but-

Tai was home. That meant it was time-

But Daisuke was afraid, and ashamed and hurt and confused all at once. He didn't understand why fate seemed to have an angry twist on his life, but he wasn't the kind to worry what was going to happen. All that concerned him was making sure everyone was safe from his mistakes-and that Ken was happy.

But-

Yamato was alive-

-with the enemy-

-And Daisuke had spirited away the very brother of the Kaizer-

-who knew absolutely nothing about the horrific things his brother was doing.

~Ken's identity has to remain secret,~ he told himself. ~Everything has to be secret-too much rides on his life and I will not lose him!~ Daisuke scowled, feeling from behind his mental shield that Ken was near, most likely watching the crowd but not in the crowd. ~Too many of them would see him as a way to strike at the Kaizer-but it wouldn't stop one such as him. Not that one. I have to find out why Ken was secreted away in that desert and how it ties in to all this madness…~

~I have to find out what I can,~ he thought in a softer voice. ~Soon…~

~\*/~

"Do you trust him, Sire?"

"Do I trust anyone?" A pause, then wry amusement colored the low voice. "Other than you, old teacher?"

"With this task, Sire, it is very important. Is Ishida the right one?"

"He will not fail me, Oikawa."

"Sire-"

"But you are right…I cannot trust him." A twisting smile in the shadowed room. "That is why I've sent a score of men to make sure he does his job-and to rid my lands of a troublesome pest after he returns."

"The mercenaries."

"Yes," the Kaizer said simply. "Yes, indeed."

~\*/~

Disbelieving, Ken stared. "You want me to what?"

"Follow me-It's important that I speak to you, Ken. Preferably before I'm noticed!!" The hand transferred itself to his wrist, and before he realized it, Ken was being dragged back between the buildings and up onto the rocky steep-sloped path in a matter of moments.

Puzzled, Ken hastened his steps without looking back to see if anyone had noted his sudden departure, or that a man cloaked and hidden by the shadows was dragging him away. "Noticed? Just how did you get here anyway? What are you doing here? I thought you were with-"

"I told you-" the man shot a look over his shoulder, a narrow glance of icy eyes, and belatedly released the grip he had on the slender wrist. "I have to talk to you about several things, actually…And..." the man paused uncomfortably, seemingly weighing a hefty thought. "To inform you of something that you would be better off hearing from anyone but Daisuke."

Startled, Ken absently drew his hand to his chest, and rubbed it discreetly. "What do you mean? What does this have to do with Daisuke?"

The figure, dressed in loose and unremarkable clothing, dusty and dirty from the road, ran fingers through his blond hair, unconsciously pushing back the hood and exposing the face to the sunlight. Then he scowled at himself. "Because," Yamato Ishida said, clearly frustrated. "It concerns your brother, and the lies he tells you, Ken Ichijouji."

~\*/~

A fond sort of ache settled just over his heart as he stood there, surrounded by his makeshift family, familiar friends and voices and smiles. A handful of children were reaching up to him, patting with grimy fingers at his clothes and his horse while the elder inhabitants asked questions with the innocence they rarely felt. His home.

His people.

Taichi smiled down at them, at the youngest girl who clamored to be raised in his arms. He reached down to scoop her up and gave her a hug, hearing, "Tai-hey, Tai! Where'd you go!" Small fingers grabbed at the large floppy brim of his hat and tugged.

"Did you bring back presents?"

"Candy? Did you bring candy?"

"Tai-?" The man looked up at the odd tone, saw a familiar tall blond standing near. Hikari had ventured forward to gather the children away, and Takeru seemed to have something of importance on his mind other than the impulsive greeting given a few minutes earlier.

"Takeru-you get taller every time I return," he remarked, eased by the ability to finally greet the boy properly, smiling with a tense bit of pain around his heart. It was still…hard. Hard not to look into that face and see the boy, the man he loved, the one gone from his life.

~Yamato…~

The younger Ishida caught at his sleeve, fighting his way through the crush of the crowd. "Gotta talk to you," he said urgently, in a softer voice.

Tai nodded solemnly, and set the young Nikka down from his arms. Then, as Takeru smiled faintly, pulled the blond into a hug that he hadn't had a chance to enjoy before, the simple act of reunion. "How'd things go?"

"Well enough. Have you heard…about Dai?"

A sick sense of fear quivered in the pit of Tai's stomach. He shivered, panicking at the thought that one of the few remaining links to family would be severed, and pushed Takeru to arms length. "What-tell me, what's going on?"

Takeru shook his head, frustration mixed with amusement. "No, no. He's fine, Tai, just fine. At least…" the blond shrugged and his eyes darkened.

"He's back? Where is he-why isn't he here?"

Takeru waited patiently, and as Tai stopped his instinctive scan through the sea of faces, replied, "He's gone all cold on us again…"

Tai frowned, and snapped his gaze back to Takeru. "What happened?"

Around them, as the people gathered there noticed that Tai and Takeru were engaged in a suddenly serious conversation-not a surprise considering all the things they had to be wary of in these days-the gathering began to slowly break apart. Only the children, and a few adults like Riku and his companion Sorah, remained behind to hear what Takeru had to say.

The two cloaked and mysterious people that had accompanied Tai had fallen behind, tending their horses and remaining unobtrusive. They seemed to have a way of blending with the natural surroundings in a way that gave them the air of not really being there, of being unremarkable. No one noticed that they too, listened in.

"Tai-he returned here about four days ago, wounded and unconscious. He nearly died-and he won't tell me what happened. All I know is that he fought the brother over the boy he dragged back here. That something is tearing him apart and he can't-or won't-tell us what it is." Takeru scowled. "I'm worried, Tai. I'm really worried. I've never seen him act like this…"

Tai sighed, his eyes dark. "I wonder what kind of trouble he's fallen into this time." Then he turned to his horse, halfway through the process of unloading his supplies, and yanked himself out of his cloak and bundled it up. "I've seen him fall into a state where he avoided everyone for days, but that was back when Yama could talk him down and…and when he was still scarred with the memories of Murasame."

"And I never came until after Yamato left…"

"Hmm…" Tai made a faint sound and hefted a leather knapsack over his shoulder as he began to walk towards the buildings. "He really wouldn't talk to you?"

"Only that he was doing something wrong…and it involved his family-by which I think he meant the brother he was fighting with-which was why Ken was all upset and locked himself in a room for three days-and that it involved Daisuke's family…"

"Odd…" Tai fought down a fierce memory that the name invoked and tried to forget it. Ken was a common enough name-and it was time he stopped hating himself for the day that a boy with that name had died. "Daisuke considers us his family I think-I wonder if this brother is going to come after him now?"

"It might. I spoke to Ken just before I saw you coming-" Takeru broke off, suddenly and looked around. "Huh…wonder where he went? I could've sworn he was just here."

"I'm wondering why Daisuke brought him here, actually. Oh, and I'm calling a meeting tonight-see if you can find everyone by that time, okay?"

The blond nodded, as Tai neared the entrance to a door propped open to allow a steady stream of children going in and out. "Gonna talk to 'Kari?"

Tai grinned over his shoulder. "More like get scolded for leaving again."

~\*/~

Ken narrowed his eyes slightly. "What are you saying, Ishida?" Anger made his voice cold. "What lies do you speak of?"

Ishida looked at him with inscrutable icy blue eyes, standing inches taller on the incline. The breeze ruffled their hair as they stared at one another, Ken with anger and the older blond simply patient. The leveled path they stood upon overlooked the village, and if Ken had turned his head, he would have been able to see nearly everything through the screening scrub-pines that crawled on the rocky surface. The people were faded noise, smaller and indistinct at this distance, even though they had walked for a mere five minutes.

Ken wasn't sure of the expression behind those iced eyes, wasn't sure what this entire meeting was about; all he knew was a sudden surge of anger at the assumptions this man had proclaimed. His brother-lying-of all things!! It was absurd! Ishida looked determined, though, and at the same time oddly pained, as if something about this entire thing was difficult. He got the feeling that Ishida was hiding something, or on the verge of confessing something horrific.

Finally, Ishida spoke. "I know of your power, Ken. I was…sent…to bring you back. However-I'm here to explain something, Ken. Will you hear me out?"

Ken raised a brow, an expression that Ishida found too much like Osamu for his liking, and tilted his head. "So speak," the boy said after a moment. ~Osamu sent him, he's looking for me!~ he thought, feeling a strange sense of happiness.

"What have you heard of the Kaizer?"

"Only that he creates war to the east, and that he began to kill halfbreeds."

Nodding, the blond lowered his eyes. "Two years ago," Ishida began. "The Kaizer sent out a force of twenty soldiers to kill Daisuke. He didn't know who Daisuke was, where he came from, he didn't know anything about Daisuke. All the Kaizer was concerned with was the fact that he had the urge to be the most powerful man this land has ever seen."

"But-"

"He did this because Daisuke is a mancer, and a very powerful one. I believe you saw that for yourself," Ishida pointed out, his voice dry, and turned on his heel to step slowly up the path. "When Daisuke was younger, mere weeks from the day he left to find his father…he burned a village to the ground after losing control. He lost his temper. No one was hurt, and he doesn't remember doing it-but the only reason he lived was Tai managed to strike him unconscious. We made him vow that he would never use his powers against anyone living, ever again. He left, a few days later, to find his father." Slowly, as if thinking deeply, Ishida paused and turned towards the inclining path. He took one step, then another, his eyes dark and unfocused.

"Do you understand what I'm saying?"

"I'm not…sure. Daisuke used his powers against my brother…and you…" Ken looked away. ~Veem'th was right…Daisuke broke a vow in taking me…~

"I believe he used them to save you-which is very interesting. Daisuke would never break a vow unless something stronger forced him to do so." Ishida shot him a narrow glance over his shoulder.

Ken began to follow at a slower rate, curious as to why Daisuke played a part in why his brother had been accused. It was obvious that the man didn't know of the bond between them, of Daisuke's protective sense. He wasn't sure why Ishida was telling him this, why it had to do with his brother. ~Should I tell him about it? Should-should I say something?~

~Perhaps it's because he broke the vow?~ he wondered. "Ishida-"

The blond shook his head softly. "The next night after the soldiers came, they returned again, and Daisuke was still too weak to do anything-but we fought, Tai and I. We had nothing to lose, and by that time, we wouldn't have survived another day of such attacks. Daisuke was too important to us. When the soldiers lay dead, I kissed Tai goodbye, and told Daisuke to remember his promise, and I left. I told them I would go after the source, and that they had to find a safe place and wait because I would find them."

"I went to L'oira, and by the time I infiltrated the Kaizer's base, and learned of his secrets, and got close enough to him where I would be able to stop him…two years had passed and I had become a monster. I had killed, I had watched innocent people suffer, and I did nothing because my own loved ones were more important. I left my friends, my family, I left Tai to kill a man no older than me…" Ishida paused, clearing his suddenly hoarse voice as they rounded a sharp and narrow turn of the path, the sloping cliff at their feet and the slate-colored rocks extending high above them.

"And then?"

"And then, I discovered a secret. Ken, what happened in the Oasis? After I was knocked aside?"

"…I…it's…" Ken hesitated softly, then answered the question. "Daisuke and Osamu fought, then, and…I stopped them. He tricked me, used a sleeping drug, and the next thing I knew was that I was covered in blood and Osamu had speared him through with a glyph-arrow-I nearly killed myself trying to save him. Then I was in the village, and…" Ken stopped his words, frowning. "I haven't really spoken to him since," he said in a softer voice. "I locked myself up in the room for three days…I fear I made a mistake…"

Ishida shot him a fleeting glance, then smiled faintly. "Why am I not surprised…You both seem to be matched with stubbornness."

Startled out of his thoughts by the brief glimpse of humor, Ken stopped and looked around. The path they had followed had brought them along the upper curve of the valley, where the spring-fed mountain river cascaded in gleaming arcs down the sides and into the small river. From here he could see nearly everywhere, the houses and the faint specks of people still outside. And then, as he raised his eyes further, noticed the view, and the colors and the shapes of it all. The mountains rose in jagged peaks behind him, while the grasses and greenery covered the land. Small stunted trees grew in bunches between rising boulders, and the path they stood upon crested it all. He saw, as he looked up further, that the path led to above the waterfall, the pool that Takeru had spoke of earlier. He didn't doubt that the path would lead up the entire face of the mountain. He shivered with pleasure, stricken voiceless for the sheer beauty that spun his mind away from the encroaching uneasiness, and yet only seemed to accent the harshness.

"Ken…" Ishida's voice reached him and he turned.

"Ishida-I don't know everything. I wanted to find out-I wanted to leave the Oasis," Ken replied in a muffled voice. He felt so very tired, all of a sudden, tired and sore in his soul. "But…there's so much that I don't understand…"

"Why did your brother keep you in the Oasis, Ken? I know he's a Glyphmage, like you. But what holds does he have over you?"

Ken unconsciously wrapped his arms around his waist and shuddered. "My family was killed when I was eleven. Everyone was murdered, down to the last dog…Osamu saved me-he brought me to the place and gave me a place to live-because it was my fault. The people that killed my family would kill me as well if they could find me, so Osamu hid me away."

"That is true…that people would fear you. They fear your power, your Glyph-magic-"Ishida turned his head away, and swallowed. "He did not lie about that. But the fault wasn't yours…He lied about the murders, and about why he hides you."

Frozen, Ken couldn't turn his head, couldn't move as the words sank in. Disbelieving, he stared with wide eyes. "No," he breathed. "He wouldn't lie to me about that…"

"He does…Osamu is the Kaizer, Ken. He is the one who killed your family."

~\*/~

//Were you listening to them?//

Pausing only a fraction in her movements, she pressed her fingers between the leather straps and pulled. //Hai…I was…// The buckle eased open and the girth strap fell free. She felt the waiting mind of Izumo Koushiro, her cousin, and smiled to herself as she lifted the saddle from the back of her horse.

Then, as she gathered the padding blanket, seeing her cousin do the same with his own mount, folded it neatly. Then, after she placed it atop the saddle, did she share her next thought. //They were speaking of Daisuke. It seems as if he's been a bit busy…//

Izumo spared her a narrow ebon-eyed look. //And the 'boy' he apparently returned with? Do you think that it has something to do with the forces your brother unleashed?//

//I know not the reasons behind his actions, Izumo. That is why we're here, ne?// Jun smiled and patted the horse fondly. It wasn't often that she or her kind needed mounts. Beneath her cloak her shoulders itched, the coarse fabric annoying her skin under the tighter press of her traditional armor.

//Hai. We're here because of Daisuke's power, ad the strange rumors of the Forbidden one gathering an army,// Izumo frowned at his own horse, absently scratched it and then continued. //I like this not, cousin. Something feels wrong to me-//

//…I feel it too…// Jun said. //And like always, it centers around my halfling brother.//

//You hope he will be happy to see us?//

Jun colored her thoughts with wry amusement. //I do not doubt he knows we're here already, cousin.//

//Has he shared thoughts with you?//

//No…but…I can sense…he is being wary about something. He worries.//

They paused in their communications for a moment, both leading the unburdened horses to a small path between the two stables. A young boy grinned up as they neared, apparently saddled with the duty of horse-care for the day, and hopped down from the pile of boulders. Jun smiled at the child, and nodded as the boy asked if they wanted to a pasture.

//This place is beautiful,// she mentioned to Izumo. //Almost like home…//

//Hai,// Izumo replied. //But we need to locate Taichi-I'm sure he can tell us more of Daisuke's situation.//

Jun smiled indulgently and tugged the cloak closer to her body, even though it couldn't contain the silver glints of the armor beneath. //I wonder--// she paused, suddenly, her gaze darting to the area ahead of them, and her eyes widened.

//Strike that,// she said to Izumo after a moment. //We can ask Daisuke ourselves…//

~\*/~

~Something's wrong,~ Daisuke was thinking, as his sister and cousin approached. His gaze was lifted upwards towards the mountain peaks, to the trails that laced the hills above them. ~Something…is wrong…so very wrong…~

A soft touch on his arm snagged his attention, and then a faint presence of his mind. Without looking, he knew who had touched him-and after a moment, slipped a question around his shields.

//What?//

//…we are worried, brother,// Jun replied softly.

Daisuke turned, at her pained tone, and looked at his half-sister. He took in the cloaks, the half-hidden armor, the bulk of the feather-padding arrayed over their chests. He frowned, tightened his shields as an afterthought-he didn't want them getting any stray thoughts of Ken or Ken's role in his life, now-and ran a hand through his unruly hair. "Sister-why are you here?' he asked softly, in his father's tongue.

"We sensed the power, and Veem'th asked us to come. He is…troubled."

"What has he told you?"

"Only that you guard a boy with your life-" A teasing glint entered her eyes and she pushed at the strong shoulder, even though she was taller by nearly half a foot over her kin. "We wonder if you've taken him as a mate."

Daisuke's gold-threaded sable eyes widened, and he blushed. "I-I haven't-" he scowled, and shrugged. "I haven't done anything," he muttered. He almost sounded…disappointed.

Izumo smiled faintly, and looked away. Jun grinned wider, an feminine imitation of her brother's own carefree expression-even though he wasn't smiling now-and leaned in. "Are you bonded?"

Daisuke looked away, something indiscernible flickering through his eyes at the words. "…it's…" he bit his lip. For a moment, as his shields wavered slightly, Jun sensed a strange sort of inner turmoil, hurt and pride. "Hai…I have…"

Jun blinked. "But that's great, isn't it? Do we get to meet your bondmate?"

"…you will…" Daisuke remarked softly, still unable to raise his eyes. "But you might not feel the same afterwards."

"Daisuke, what-"

-//it'snottrueit'snottrue//-

It hit him, without warning, and Daisuke doubled over. His shields had shattered upon the impact, as Ken's overwhelming anguished mental cry slammed into him full force. He fell to his knees, breathless and gasping as he crumpled-

//nonoit'snottrueitcan'tbetrue-//

"Ken," Daisuke moaned. "…stop…iyaaa-"

//lying-he'sgottobelying-it'salieit'sallalie-//

Immersed as fully as he suddenly was, taken completely by surprise, Daisuke could only fight to regain his shields. Hands were on his shoulders, shaking him, and he dimly recognized his sister's voice shouting at him. Pain exploded in his head, pain from the burning overflow of Ken's tormented thoughts, his sense of betrayal, and Daisuke gritted his teeth against a scream.

//…stop…// he tried to send, the first attempt at such a thing between them. //…stop it…//

It didn't stop, and in a brief flash of imagery, saw a familiar blond face watching him, familiar eyes and a pale worried composure.

~…Y-yamato…?~

Then, through the devastating sense of sorrow came a shock, something so unexpected that it snapped Ken from his frozen state of denial. Daisuke caught a flash of gleaming metal, and fear from Ken-but-

Daisuke froze, breath held in his aching lungs, eyes wide and staring as he struggled in an unknowing mind to see what Ken was seeing, heedless of the growing crowd and his sister's cries. He vaguely remembered looking up into the white face of Tai, the mouth forming words, but-

He had to know-

A knife.

Yamato.

//…I'm going to die…// was Ken's last clear thought.


~~~

**A/N** Next time…(which hopefully wont take as freaking long)… Ken and Yama talk to the new arrivals-the Kaizer's men-Daisuke gets a bit upset, and…well, let's just say that Tai makes another appearance.