Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Please Take it... ❯ Chapter 1

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

-Howdy! I received a lot of comments regarding the length of my last fic, so I've decided to show mercy upon everyone, including myself especially, and divide this up into chapters. Anyway, this is the first of what should be three installments of pure TaKari fluff. Please R&R, and let me know what you think. Well, that's enough out of me. Hope you enjoy!

Disclaimer: I don't own Digimon.






Please Take It...


"I can't believe it!" TK yelped happily, as he stretched his arms over his shoulders. "Only one more school day before summer break!"
"You're hiding your excitement well," Kari giggled at her long time friend. "Then again, the thought of eight weeks without having to worry about school is something to look forward to."
"And to think I'm finally going to get a chance to spend the summer with my friends." TK really did mean all of his friends, but he meant Kari most of all. Every moment he could spend with her was so precious to him, and the more time he spent with her the more he wanted. He just couldn't get enough. She looked so beautiful standing there walking along side of him. The sunlight shining off her face at just the right angel, adding an extra glow to her already gorgeous set of brown eyes. He had to pay razor close attention to himself to make sure he didn't start drooling. God, how he wanted to tell her that. Not the drooling part, but how he fully felt about her in his heart. It's not necessarily the best thing in the world when you realize you're in love with your best friend, but here he was dealing with the ultimate of emotional dilemmas. It wasn't like he never tried to tell her before. He had hinted at it numerous times. Hell, he'd even resorted to flat out hitting on her on several occasions, but she seemed to blow him off completely or simply ignore him every time. He knew she was too smart for it to go over her head just like that. Most of the time, she'd give him this funny look then blush and turn her head away. It was almost like she was saying to him thanks, but no thanks Takeru. He guessed that her ignoring him might be her gentle way of telling him she's not interested. When he looked at her he was seeing an angel, but when she looked at him she saw her best friend. Her best friend, and that's probably all he'd ever be to her. That didn't mean he was going to give up though. He'd continue to give subtle hints, but he'd never push her. He didn't want to strain their friendship in anyway. "It's going to be a blast! What do you think?"
"I guess... If you can stand putting up with me all summer!" Kari herself couldn't think of anything she'd rather do this summer than spend it with TK. She wasn't always sure why, but she always felt so good anytime she was near him. She loved to look up into his soothing ocean-blue eyes. The only thing she wanted to do sometimes was stare into them for hours on in, and let herself sink to the bottom. She tried her best to catch herself whenever she felt she had been staring at him too long, which happened rather often, so he wouldn't catch her in the act. God, she wished she had the nerve to tell him what she was thinking right then. It's not necessarily the best thing in the world when you realize you're in love with your best friend, but here she was dealing with the ultimate of emotional dilemmas. It had been that way as long as she could remember. It wasn't like she never tried to tell him before. She tried to hint at it in her own subtle ways, and she flirted with him constantly. It wasn't always to make Davis jealous, but that was a nice added bonus. At least she thought she was flirting. She was definitely trying to. Their was this seductive look she developed that she tried to give him from time to time, but she could never manage giving it with a straight face... literally. She'd do fine up until the time TK would look down at her with his own thought erasing smile, and she'd just melt underneath its warmth. She'd completely lose her nerve, and all she could do was blush and turn her head away in defeat. There were times she could almost swear TK was hitting on her, but he'd never follow up. At least it sounded like it to her..., hey a girl could hope couldn't she? She guessed it was merely a kind word from her friend. Her best friend..., and it was simple as that.
"Anytime I can spend with you is well worth it." TK looked down at her and smiled waiting for a response that didn't come right away. She looked back at him for a brief second, blushed, and then turned her head away. That damn look again. TK grimaced, and growled softly in frustration.
"You're being silly." Kari mentally kicked herself for saying that. She tried to look him in the face, but like always she caved. Normally she never had a problem at least looking him in the eye, but when he looked at her that way... It kind of sounded to her like he was trying to flirt with her again. She waited for him to follow through, but like always nothing came. When his response came, it was no where near what she was hoping for.
"Yeah... Just being silly." TK suddenly stopped in the middle of the road much to Kari's surprise.
"What's the matter?" Kari asked, still partially lost in her own little world.
"You're home."
Kari looked up, and sure enough they were standing in front of her apartment. She blushed, and giggled half-heartedly. "Oh yeah... He, he. I guess I'll see you later. Let's both promise to make this the best summer we've ever had."
"You know I will girl!" TK said, perking up. "I'll make sure of that!" TK's smiled slowly faded, as he watched Kari dissapear into her building. "There's only one thing I can think of to make this summer perfect, but it doesn't look like that will ever happen... But at least I'll be with you."
********
Davis grumbled to himself, as he mashed through the crowded Odaiba streets. He couldn't believe Kari wasn't home! Another afternoon wasted. He had called twice since school let out, but her mother told him she wasn't at home. With nothing better to do, he tracked all the way over to her apartment just to discover she still wasn't at home. He had a sinking suspicion he knew where she was though. If fact, he was positive, and he didn't like it one little bit. He knew if he found him, he'd probably find Kari right along side him. He searched every street corner, alley, and back road hoping to find some trace of one of them. The grinding of his teeth nearly produced sparks, as he visualized them being together. God he hated to even picture that. What the hell did he have that Davis didn't anyway? Whatever it was, Kari obviously knew, and she wasn't telling him. They could pretend nothing was going on all they wanted, but contrary to popular belief Davis wasn't that stupid. He noticed how they were together all the time, and he meant all the time! He noticed the way Kari would look at him, and when he compared it to the way she looked at him he felt he might as well have been some kind of fungus spread across a big rock. He couldn't count how many times they'd be talking, he'd walk into the room, and Kari would forget he was even there. God he hated it. Yet, they still had the nerve to claim they were merely friends every time the question came up. It felt like they were trying to rub it in his face, or playing some big hateful practical joke on him. They must really think I'm stupid, was what he was thinking half the time. He'd grown so spiteful over the whole situation, he could almost swear all that laughing and giggling they did while they were together was directed towards him. "Hey, look at that idiot Davis. He really doesn't have a clue what we're doing behind his back," he could almost hear them say in his mind.. Davis for one wasn't laughing one bit. He'd love nothing more than to take that stupid hat of his, pull it down his head, and lead him off a cliff. Where did he get off going after his girl anyway? He was determined not to give up on Kari. Davis knew he was better than him, and he'd find a way to make Kari his. There was no way he was going to let that little bastard beat him. No way. As he continued to march through the seemingly endless city streets, the object of his disgust finally came into his view.
"HEY TD! HOLD UP A SECOND!" Davis called out to the boy who had his back turned to him.
TK cringed. He only knew of one person in the whole of Japan who couldn't string a simple T and a K together. "That has to be Davis." Not lessening his pace at all, he waited and dreaded until Davis eventually bounded up next to him. "You want something Davis?"
"Where's Kari?" he asked, after noticing she was no where in sight. "I thought she'd be with you?"
"She was before I walked her home about ten minutes ago," he answered with a little added pop. He was offended by the rather snippy way Davis asked those questions. He sounded and looked particularly hostile towards him today, even for Davis. "What makes you assume she'd be with me anyway?"
"What are you talking about?! 'Cause she's always with you! To tell you the truth I really don't like the way you've been trying to put the moves on my girl!"
"I'm not putting the moves on anyone, and she's not your girl!" TK fired back. "How is spending time with my friend qualify as putting the moves on her anyway?!"
"Don't start with that friend thing again!" Davis barked. "I've seen the way you stare at her, hell you practically drool! I'm not buying any of your crap Takashi! You guys do everything but hold hands!"
TK blushed slightly, unnoticed to Davis since TK had his back turned to him, after learning Davis had caught him staring at Kari. He hoped to high hell nobody else noticed, in particular Kari. "It's amazing how you can pronounce my last name correctly, when you can't remember the two simple letters in my first name!"
"I know your name TB!"
"That's tuberculosis Davis!" he mocked. "It's TK. T...K!"
"Tubercuo-whatsis?"

"Forget it Davis. I really don't feel like arguing with you right now," TK sighed, and quickened his pace in an attempt to pull further away from Davis. Davis however, would not be denied.
"Hold it right there! We're not finished!" Davis yelled after him.
"Yes we are!"
"No we're not!" Davis grabbed TK by the shoulder, but TK ignored him and kept walking. "I know your just trying to pretend you don't like Kari to throw me off, but it's not working anymore TC! She's in love with me! Get that through your thick skull! She's my girl! MINE!"
TK's last nerve snapped like a pretzel log. Absolutely seething with anger, he whirled around and gave Davis a death glare that could've scared an adult lion out of his mane. Though that theory may never be tested, it sure caused Davis to take a step back or two. TK could take all of his insults, he could take Davis's stuck up attitude towards him, but the one he couldn't stand was Davis referring to Kari like she was his own little personal toy. "NO YOU GET THIS THROUGH YOUR THICK SKULL DAVIS! I'VE HAD IT UP TO HEAR WITH YOU!" he shouted, as he extended his hand as far above his head as he could manage. "IT'S A GOOD THING YOU WEREN'T BUYING ANY OF MY CRAP, 'CAUSE YOU'RE SO FULL OF YOUR OWN YOU'D HAVE TO MAKE ROOM TO FIT IT ALL IN! LET ME SET THE RECORD STRAIGHT! SHE MAY JUST BE IN LOVE WITH YOU, BUT YOU DO NOT OWN HER! YOU NEED TO STOP TALKING AND ACTING LIKE YOU DO, OR I'M GOING TO TAKE THOSE GOGGLES AND SHOVE THEM SO FAR DOWN YOUR THROAT YOU'LL BE WIPING YOUR BUTT WITH THE STRAP!"

Davis was taken back. "I never said I owned her... AND DON'T THREATEN ME!"
"I DON'T MAKE THREATS, AND YOU STARTED ALL THIS!"
"AND I'M READY TO FINISH IT!" Davis tightened up his fists "LET'S HAVE IT OUT! RIGHT HERE FOR KARI RIGHT NOW!"
"WHAT DID I JUST GET DONE SAYING DAVIS!" TK grunted disgustedly. "SHE'S NOT A PRIZE TO BE WON, AND I CARE ABOUT HER TOO MUCH TO REDUCE HER TO THAT LEVEL! IF SHE WANTS YOU THEN SO BE IT, BUT I'M NOT GOING TO STOP BEING HER FRIEND BECAUSE YOUR A JEALOUS JACKASS! IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT TOUGH! YOUR GOING TO HAVE TO LIVE WITH IT! HOWEVER, IF YOU WANT TO HAVE IT OUT RIGHT NOW JUST TO SETTLE THIS THING BETWEEN YOU AND ME, THEN I'LL BE HAPPY TO OBLIGE SO I CAN FINALLY SHUT THAT BIG MOUTH OF YOURS!"
"SO, NOW YOU DO ADMIT YOU LIKE HER HUH?!"
"DAVIS WOULD YOU GET OFF OF IT ALREADY?!" Noticing people were starting to stare at him, TK calmed himself down and lowered his voice. "Okay, okay! I like Kari! That's what you want to hear isn't it?! If their was even a tiny chance I thought she might feel the same way about me I would've played on it a long time ago! It's just not going to happen. She's never done or said anything to make me think otherwise." Without another word, he resumed walking leaving the stunned Davis behind.
"What is that supposed to mean?! No really what is that supposed to mean?! Is that good or bad?!"
********
Kari sighed, as she melted into the coach practically fusing with it. She thought about what had happened earlier that afternoon, and cringed at the fool she had made of herself. He just seemed to have that kind of effect on her lately. Every time she'd get near him she always ended up doing or saying something completely stupid, or that made no sense what so ever. She feared TK might start thinking she was a flake or something to that nature. Of course she didn't know there wasn't anything she could do that would make her appear anything less than an angel in TK's eyes. Still, it didn't seem to matter what Kari tried, she just couldn't get TK out of her mind. He'd never been that far from her thoughts since she'd known him, but lately it had become absolutely ridiculous! *Why the hell do I think about him all the time?* She smiled as she realized what she was thinking, and came up with a much better question. *What the hell am I complaining about?* As she did more times than not, she gave in willingly, and let him take over her thoughts. He was like a drug that her brain had developed a dependency on. She still searched for an answer to why. With little deliberation she decided it had to be his eyes. The most majestic color of blue she'd ever seen, a shade she was convinced was his alone. He'd look at her with those things, and her body would go numb. He may have been as sweet as he could be, but she was convinced that somehow they had to be evil. Nothing that could completely posses a body and soul like that could possibly be good. Kari giggled thinking the world could use a little more of that type of evil. She switch gears, and imagined just what she and TK would do that summer. She really looked forward to finally having TK around. Maybe she could even work up the nerve to ask him to do something a little more formal...
Kari's daydreaming came to an abrupt end, as the front door slammed violently igniting a loud echo to ring throughout the apartment. She shot a death glare towards the door directed at her brother. He'd just walked in, and was sorting a stack of mail in his hands. "Why don't you slam the door a little harder next time Tai! Some of the tiles are still attached to the ceiling!"
"Excuse me!" Tai laughed. He didn't see his sister that irritated very often, and he thought she was the cutest thing in the world when she was. Without saying another word to his sister, he started flipping through the stack of envelopes. "Let see here bill, bill, bill.... Letter from Ed McMahon? You may owe me a million dollars?!" Knowing a bad joke from his friend when he saw one, he promptly tossed the piece of junk mail in the trash.
"I guessing that was from Matt?" Kari asked.
"Yeah. If that geek wants to play a joke you'd figure he'd have enough sense not to put his address on the front of the envelope." Kari giggled, as Tai continued to sort through the mail. He set aside a couple more bills, when he came across something that really appeared to catch his interest. "Hey Kari, it's here!"
"What is it?"
Tai looked at his sister slyly. "You remember that photography contest in that magazine you entered last month?"

Kari leapt off the couch like she'd just been kicked off, and charged her brother. "It is really?! That's right! The article said the results would be in in a month's time! Give it here please!"
"No way!" Tai teased, as he pulled the letter out of Kari's reach.
"Please give it to me Tai!" She begged. She stretched and prodded her arms in every fashion imaginable, and around every body part on Tai's body, but he kept maneuvering it out of her grasp. "Grow up already Taichi! Give it to me! It's mine!"
"No way! I wana see what it says! I'll let you know if you want to read or not."
"Give it to me Tai!" Kari lunged for the letter again, but Tai darted out of her way once again. "I know I didn't have a chance to win, but I still want to see what they thought of my pictures!"
"In that case I'll just have to read it for you!" Tai ripped open the letter, much to Kari's dismay. He held her back with his free arm, and all Kari could do was listen helplessly as Tai read the results aloud. "To Miss Kari Kamiya contestant 147 in Rising Sun Magazine's amateur photography contest." Tai pushed her away one more time, and began pacing around the living room with Kari following his every move. "Thank you for your entry Miss Kamiya. Your beautiful pictures really captured the essence, and serene beauty of the moment. We can tell you put a lot of heart into your work."
Tai stopped, and read the next part silently to himself apparently trying to absorb what he was reading. Kari listened nervously fearing why Tai had stopped reading aloud, and already blushing from what she had already heard. Finally, Tai smiled brightly, and practically yelled out the rest. "Faced with the material you've sent us compared to the other contestants we were forced with no other alternative. Congratulations Miss Kamiya on becoming our grand prize winner!"
"You're kidding!" Kari shrieked in disbelief. Catching Tai with his guard down momentarily she snatched the letter from his hand, and read it silently to herself. Tai wasn't kidding. It was just like he had recited word for word, except for several larger words Tai chose to skip rather than mispronounce. "My god I can't believe it!" Kari jumped up and down excitedly a couple times before engulfing Tai in a massive bear hug. Tai swung her around in celebration, as they both laughed.
"You see Kari?! We told you that you were good at this, and all you had to do was try! You did, and look what happened!"
"I know, and I'll have to remember to thank everyone again later, but first prize! I can't believe it! This was supposed to be a hobby... I'm not that good!"
"Well, this says you are!" Tai said, as he look down at the letter he had recaptured when he and Kari were embraced. Kari looked at him in surprise for a brief moment before groaning silently to herself. "What was the grand prize again? A one month all expense's paid trip to the United States and Egypt with world-renowned Japanese photographer Yuri Hashinsu! All for the purpose of sharpening your skills in photography..."
"With stops at twelve of the most famous landmarks in the world," Kari said dreamily, remembering the magazine article perfectly. "Including the Sphinx, Niagara Falls, and Lake Victoria...... Wait a second! When does it say the trip starts?"
"This says June 22nd! That's less than a week away! They're not leaving much time to prepare are they?!"
"That's almost my entire summer break..."
"That's a good thing. At least it won't interfere with school. This is a great opportunity for you Kari..." He looked down at his sister, and noticed her cheery expression had changed to a slightly solemn one. "Kari? Are you okay? This was something you wanted wasn't it?"
"Of course it is silly!" she answered, finding her smile again. "I certainly wasn't expecting to win though... I can't wait to tell mom and dad!"
Tai smiled, as he watched his sister race to her bedroom. Kari closed the door behind her, and rested herself against it. She giggled excitedly, overjoyed by the news, but slightly concerned with the sudden change of plans. "It'll be okay. TK will understand."
********
"Kari I know we've been friends a long time... No! That's real original TK! Kari... There's something I value above anything else in the world. Your heart... AH NO! That's way too sappy!"
"Sounds good to me," Matt encouraged. He'd sat there and painfully watched his younger brother going on like this for almost an hour now.
"No, no, no! That's been said a million times! I want to be more original than that!" TK insisted, sorry his brother was even there. He had actually gotten something from his latest confrontation with Davis though he wasn't sure exactly what it was. For some reason right afterwards, he decided he had to find a way to tell her... He was in the middle of trying to find a way how when Yomato decided to drop in unexpectedly, and caught him in the act. "The last thing I want to do come up with something so simple Davis could think of it!"
"Don't make it anything to fancy TK," Matt suggested. "No need to over do it. Just be yourself. Kari seems to like you just fine."
"Yeah she does," TK laughed weakly. "Just not quite the way I want her to."
"Are you really that blind?"
"What is that supposed to mean?" TK asked, clearly unsure what his brother meant by that.
Matt simply smiled and shook his head. "Nothing TK. Now that I think about it overdoing it just might be TK. You've always been one to put 110% into everything you do."
TK smiled. "You can call it that if you want to. I just want this to be special. Something we'll both remember long after she slaps the taste out of my mouth, and rejects me."
"What makes you so sure she's going to reject you TK?!"
"Come on Matt!" he pleaded, not wanting to explain this to his brother. "Kari doesn't feel that way about me. Why would she? I mean she's gorgeous! She's an angel... She deserves a lot better than I could ever offer her."
"And what could anyone else give that you couldn't?"
"You know... Everything! I'm not exactly what most people would call good looking..."
Matt seemed to grow very annoyed at that comment. "What are you trying to say Takeru? In case you've forgotten most people say that... YOU LOOK JUST LIKE ME!"
TK sweat dropped, forgetting his brother's rather large and easily bruised ego. "Well, I don't look exactly like you Matt... Anyway, if Kari really did have those kind of feelings for me don't you think she would've told me by now?"
"Well, let me put it this way. I can imagine Tai and Kari having this exact same conversation right now, and Kari saying...." Matt put his hands under his chin, and mimicked his best little girl's voice impression. "If TK really did have those kind of feelings for me don't you think he would've told me by now?"
TK sweat dropped again, sensing he was losing this argument. "Okay, okay I get your point! I know I've taken my sweet time with this, but Kari's different."
"I've got to remember to tell me she can strike out a future as a lawyer for you. You can't even build up a decent case to prosecute yourself!"
"I'm not trying to prosecute myself!" he yelped, growing defensive. "I happen to like myself very much. I know I'm not perfect that's all."
"Are you still going to tell her," Matt asked, getting back to the root of the subject.
"I have all intentions to. I can't keep hiding it forever. I use to think Davis use to single me out just because he was jealous, but by the way he's talking lately he may actually be on to something. I really want Kari to hear it from me, and not somewhere else."
"Do you really love her?" the interrogation continued.
"Of course I do!" Simply the easiest question he ever answered.
"Just making sure before you run off and do this. One last question. Can you live without here?"
TK had to think about that one for a moment. "Yeah, I can live without her. I'd have to. I just don't want to."
All Matt could do was smile. "Good answer bro. I don't want you to be too heart broken if things don't work out."
"I can't promise that," TK laughed. "Oh, and Matt. There is one thing I can give Kari that no one else can, and I plan on giving it to her when I tell her."
"Oh, and what's that?"
"I'll give you a hint. It didn't cost me a dime, but it can be the most valuable thing in the world in the hands of the right person."
Matt frowned. "TK, you know I hate riddles!"
"It's not a riddle," TK smirked. "It's just a matter of fact."
********
TK sat silently slumped into his chair in a corner of the computer room. Kari had asked all of her friends to meet there after school because she had something important she wanted to say, and wanted to tell all of them at once. He was extremely nervous, but that wasn't the reason why. He decided that was the night he was going to confess himself to her. He saw no point in prolonging it any further. After she said what she needed to say he was going to take her off somewhere alone, and pour his heart out to her. The only small glitch he had to worry about involved the owner of the set of eyes staring a hole through him from the other side of the room. Davis hadn't removed his gaze from TK once since he walked in the door. Those eyes seemed to hold a little added distain towards him that afternoon. Apparently he was still smarting from the conversation they had the day before. The honest truth was TK was sick and tired of this personal little feud he had going with Davis. A feud he wanted no part of, but Davis kept pushing and pushing to a point where TK had to push back before Davis shoved him over the edge. He remembered very clearly how his brother Matt and Tai would fight all the time when they were his age, but now they were the best of friends. It was different with him and Davis somehow. Matt and Tai at least tried to get along, and they did from time to time. Davis on the other hand didn't seem willing to make peace at all. He wouldn't even dislike the boy so much, if Davis wouldn't act like such a prick to him all the time. And to think all of it was over a supposed relationship between TK and Kari that didn't even really exist yet, and one between Davis and Kari that only existed in Davis's own personal fantasy world. The only reason. TK had never done anything else to insult or rile Davis up in anyway, so that had to be it. The tension was so thick at times, they even came to blows more than once. From the way Davis was looking at him things looked about ready to erupt to that point again, if it hadn't been for Ken sitting across the room. He held a stern gaze on both of them, like a mother would give to her children saying you'd two better behave or else. TK wasn't completely innocent himself, as he himself shot Davis a couple threatening glances of his own, still upset over a few of Davis's comments from the same conversation. He was more than ready and willing to come to blows if Davis was so inclined to push it to that point.
Ken moved his eyes back and forth to each boy concerned by the intense looks on both their faces. Davis and TK never did see eye-to-eye, but Ken noticed they'd been particularly hostile towards each other lately. Today seemed to be worse that it ever had been before. Ken decided it would a good idea to stay between them, and make sure they got through the day without dismembering each other. He knew Davis wasn't afraid to fight, and he learned that TK knew how to throw a punch the hard way. Yolie and Cody were behind them staring at one of the computer screens, apparently oblivious to the entire situation. The tense mood was finally shattered when a rather jubilant looking Kari bounced in the room, shutting the door behind her.
"Kari!" TK and Davis both called her name simultaneously. They looked at each other and frowned. Ken looked at Kari, then back at them and sweat dropped.
"Hey Kari, what's the big news?" Yolie asked.
"I don't mean to be a bother, but can you make it quick?" Cody requested. "I don't want to be late for kendo practice with Grandpa. I'm too tired to even try to attempt to understand one of his lectures today."
"This won't take me long Cody," Kari promised, before doing a quick head count to make sure ever one was there. "Do you guys remember that contest I entered for amateur photographers last month?"
Yolie would be the one to answer. "How could we not?! We had to help push you into doing it remember?!"
"I remember, and thanks to all of you for believing in me." Kari giggled unable to help getting excited. "You're not going to believe this, but I won first prize!"
After a few scattered shocked expressions from her friends, everyone swarmed Kari at once congratulating her. Only TK stood in back of the rest of the group.
"You see, I told you, you could do it didn't I?!" Davis bragged, as he put his hand on her shoulder.
"What exactly did you say was first prize for that contest anyway?" Ken asked.
"A one month trip to both Egypt and the US," TK answered for her, as he finally walked into the group sporting a big smile. Kari had told him all about the contest and the grand prize before she even decided to enter. "She's going to get the chance to photograph some of the most famous landmarks in the world, with one of Japan's most renowned photographers."
Davis looked ready to have a coronary. "Wait a minute! A whole month?!"
"Yes," Kari replied. "Starting this Friday."
"That's an awfully long time," Yolie noticed. "Hey, if anybody deserves it's you!"
"She's right. I hope you have fun." Cody added.
"Are you guys listening to what you're saying?!" Davis bellowed, clearly not seeing things in a positive light. "An entire month?! She can't go! We need her here!" He looked at Kari who in turn suddenly felt guilty, and looked at the ground.
"Of course she's going to go Davis!" Yolie yelled, as she got up in Davis face. "She won this contest fair and square! She's your friend, and you should be supporting her JUST LIKE THE REST OF US!"
"But what about us?!" Davis challenged. "She's just going to run off for a month, and leave her friends here high and dry! What if were needed in the Digital World again! A lot of good she's going to do us half a world away!"
"Calm down Davis!" TK placed his hand on Davis's shoulder, and resisted the urge to pop his head off his shoulders. "This is a big opportunity for her, and she can't pass it up!"
"I will not calm down!" Davis barked, as he slapped TK's arm away. "You might want her to leave, but I don't! She's your best friend, and your trying to get rid of her?!"
Kari was still huddled against the door, and by this time had gotten very upset. "Guys... Maybe I should think this through a little more. If you'll excuse me I think I need to get some air." She opened the door quickly, and practically flew outside.
"Kari wait!" TK called after her.
Yolie looked at Davis disgustedly as the door slammed behind her. None of the others had very kind expressions to offer him either, but Yolie was the only one facing him. "Now look what you did you big jerk! She might actually consider not going now!"
"What did I do?!" Davis asked dumbly.
Davis was caught by surprise as he felt a rather strong hand grab him by the arm, and drag him to the far corner of the computer lab. Davis shook his arm lose from TK's grasp, and glared at an equally unhappy set of blue eyes. "What do you think your doing TM?! Don't you ever grab me like that again!"
Though most people would've already resorted to putting his lights out right there, and TK was tempted, he talked to Davis calmly instead of whacking him. "Look this is something Kari's always dreamed of, and I'm not going to let you ruin it for her! That's your problem right there. Your being selfish, all you've thought about is you, and how you feel. You didn't stop for a second to think what's best for Kari. The world doesn't revolve around you Davis! Get that through your head! We are talking about one measly month during one summer of your lifetime, up against one month that could help pave the road Kari takes for the rest of her life!"
What Davis did next was unexpected. TK was all but ready for Davis to come firing back at him, our try to defend himself in someway. Instead, Davis sort of mumbled quietly, and look at the ground in defeat. In a final response, Davis grunted, and turned around to begin staring out the window.
*Damn! He's right... Why the hell is he always right?! Does he always have to go out of his way to let me know what a jerk I am?!... Damn him!*
TK shook his head, and motioned for the door. "I'm going to talk to Kari. If I know her as well as I think I do she's probably considering bailing out as we speak."
"Oh no you don't!" Davis shouted, suddenly springing back to life. "I'll talk to her!" He sprinted for the door, but Ken stuck his arm out to block his path.
"Let him handle it Davis. He is her best friend. Besides, you've done enough damage as it is."
"But why should he go after her, instead of me?!" Davis demanded.
"I shouldn't have to answer that Davis," Ken replied. "Even you're not that naive."
TK found Kari a little ways down the hall, huddled up against a section of wall that was partially shielded by a row of lockers, examining her shoes. TK approached her with his typical warm and friendly smile, slightly distorted with concern.
"Hey Kari. You okay?"
"I'm fine. Just thinking?" she replied, titling her head up slightly. "You need something?"
"I never got the chance to congratulate you on winning that trip. I can tell how excited you were."
"I was," Kari sighed. "But I've been thinking about what Davis said... I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet."
TK frowned. "What are you talking about?! Of course you're going to go! This is your big chance, and you can't pass it up! This is something you've been wanting isn't it?"
"A dream come true almost," Kari sighed again. "It's just when I found out I won I never really thought about leaving my friends, or considered something happening in the Digital World."
"Is that all your worried about?! So what if something happens in the Digital World?!" TK laughed. "I guess you were to upset to remember, but you can get to the Digital World anytime your needed, as long as your near a computer!"
"That's true," she admitted. "But..."
"Don't worry about us either Kari," he interrupted. "Davis has a big mouth, and he's not use to thinking before he speaks. He was just upset over hearing you were going to be gone so long, but deep down he's happy for you too. This could be a once in a lifetime opportunity, and you'll regret it if you miss out on it. Sure we'll all miss you, especially me, but we'll all be here when you get back. Hey, it's only a month!"
Kari looked up at him, and smiled. "The glass is always half full to you huh?"
"When I'm thirsty enough it is."
Kari giggled before giving TK a big hug. Though nether one of them gave it a second thought, they both enjoyed it a lot more than they would let on. "You're to good to me TK. Thanks for always being there for me."
"Hey, it's nothing you wouldn't do for me," TK said, as he reluctantly removed his arms from around her.
*Why does he always show me up?! Why?! Why?! Why?! Look at them... Friends my ass!* Davis thought, as he watched them through the door which was open just a crack. The school had emptied out considerably by that time of day, and all the kids in the computer room could hear everything TK and Kari had said. "He's making a fool out of me!"
"I don't know why he bothers," Ken said. "You've been doing a good enough job of that yourself."
Davis was ready to comment on Ken's wisecrack, but Kari and TK picked that moment to walk back into the lab causing Davis to divert his attention to her. "Kari! I'm sorry about what I said. I didn't really mean it, I was just shocked. I'm really sorry."
"It's okay Davis, I forgive you. I know you were just upset at the thought of me leaving. I don't how you're going to manage surviving without me around for an entire month!"
"Thanks Kari." Davis sighed in relief, and smiled. "It'll be tough, but I'll manage. I know you'll do a great job. Hey! I want to see all your pictures when you get back!"
"So I guess that means your going," Cody deduced.
Kari nodded her head in confirmation. "Yep."
"In that case maybe we should have a going away party for you before you leave on Friday!" Yolie suggested. "Since your going away for most of the summer we should at least spend what little time we have with you in style!"
"That's a great idea Yolie!" Davis agreed. "Maybe I'll even reward you with a goodbye kiss? What do you think Kari?"
"Thanks, but I think I'll pass Davis." Kari smiled happily, as she listen to her friends give their suggestions on what they should do for the party. It made things a lot easier knowing she had the support of all her friends. She gave a quick look to TK, who smiled back at her. He seemed happy for her, but she could tell something was bothering him deep down. Like there was something eating away at his mind. She wondered what it was.

End.
<To be continued.... Maybe.>
-So, what do you think? Should I bother continuing with this or not? This installment was mostly a mood setter. Most of the juicy mushy stuff will be coming up in part 2, I promise.