Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Please Take it... ❯ Chapter 2

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

(Howdy! After receiving several threats against my well being if I didn't, I decided it would be in my best interest to submit chapter 2. I noticed a lot of readers were wondering what TK was going to give Kari... I thought it would be too obvious, but maybe that's just because I wrote it. Anyway, most of the mushy crap will take place in this installment. Eh, I love it! I hope this doesn't disappoint you!)
Warning: This fic contains mind numbing sap and mush that may cause some to cry, and others to vomit. Remember you've been warned, so don't come whining to me if it happens.



Please Take it... Chapter 2


"That's perfect!" TK chimed excitedly to his reflection in the mirror. "I just hope I can say this to her face without losing my nerve. It may sound really good in my head right now, but that doesn't mean it's going to come out of my mouth exactly the way I want it to."
"Ain't that the truth. I can't count how many times that's happened to me."
TK jumped at the sound of the voice, and the image of his brother appearing behind his reflection. He was standing in the bathroom doorway chowing down on a hotdog.
"Why is it every time I look over my shoulder lately you seem to be there Yomato?!" he asked, clearly irritated. "Don't you have anything better to do than spy on me?!"
"When I'm not at band practice no," Matt replied before taking another bite of his diner. He swallowed quickly and continued. "Besides, now you've gotten me curious. You've been trying to come up with some Romeo-like way to tell Kari you love her for the last week, and as far as I know you've done absolutely nothing so far. She's leaving for Egypt tonight, and then you'll have to wait a least another month before you get another chance. I just don't want to see you wus out, and then regret it later."
"I'm not going to wus out," TK assured him. "It won't be easy, but I'm going to do it. I have to. It's the perfect time really. She'll have an entire month to think it over, and I won't have to worry about seeing her everyday and things being awkward. Besides, I'm as brave as I'm going to get right now, and if I don't go through with it tonight I may never work up the nerve again."
"Have faith in yourself little bro," Matt encouraged. "Don't worry about how Kari's going to react so much. I think your going to be pleasantly surprised."
"I know this may sound strange coming from me, but I'm not going to get my hopes up just to have them dashed. I'm just going to tell her, and let what happens happen."
Matt smiled in defeat, and shook his head. "Have it your way TK. By the way, Kari's party is going to be starting soon. You better get going, or you won't get a chance to tell her at all."
"I'm not going to the party," TK said flatly.
"Your not?!" Matt asked in shock. "What are you going to do then?"
"I'm going to tell her at the airport right before she leaves," TK explained. "Just in case she gets upset or something, I can make sure she gets on that plane."
"That may be a good idea," Matt agreed, but he had a different view on why she'd change her mind about leaving. Of course TK wouldn't believe that for a second, so he didn't bother bringing it up. "But won't she be upset if you're not at the party?"
"Maybe, but she probably won't even notice I'm missing with all the others there."
"Some how I think she will," Matt groaned.
"Don't worry Matt. I already called, and told her I wouldn't be able to make it," TK assured him. "I want her to have absolutely no idea it's coming. Not that she would've anyway."
"How do you plan on getting to the airport?"
TK looked up at his brother and grinned. "Well, I was hoping you could help me out with that."
"Oh really?!" Matt laughed. "I thought you swore that you'd never climb inside a car with me again?!"
"I still have nightmares," TK cringed. Matt had gotten his listen a little more than a month earlier, and how on earth he passed that test TK would never know. He had stepped inside the car with Matt one time, and vowed he'd never dare ride with his brother again baring a life or death situation. "I said I wouldn't unless it was a life or death situation, but this is close enough for me!"
"No problem bro," Matt agreed. "I really want to see how things go anyway."
"Just promise me you'll get me there alive."
"You'll be fine!" Matt snapped. "Maybe you should try eating something before we go?"
TK felt his stomach churned. "I don't think so. I'm not sure I can stomach much of anything right now."
Matt nodded his head in agreement. "I can understand why you'd be a bundle of nerves right now. I still think you should go to the party though."
"No, I'm going to stick with my plan. I could use the extra time to compose myself anyway."
"Have it your way TK," Matt sighed. "Do what you have to do. Good luck."
Matt left TK alone to stare at his reflection some more. He looked deep into his own blue eyes, and sighed. "Luck. I can use a lot of it, but I'm afraid that's going to have nothing to do with this.
********
"Good-bye Kari!" Yolie sobbed, as she seized Kari in a long hug. She knew this would be the last time she'd have a chance to see her in a long time, so she was reluctant to let go. The party had gone well without a hitch, and only Yolie and Davis remained at the Kamiya's both reluctant to leave. "I'm really going to miss you!"
"I'm going to miss you too Yolie," Kari giggled with an obvious note of sadness in her voice. Yolie noticed this all afternoon, and she knew it wasn't all because she was leaving later that evening.
"I'm sorry TK couldn't make it Kari. I know that kind of spoiled things for you."
"Don't be silly, everything was great!" Kari assured her. She looked at the door and sighed. "I guess the chances of him walking in and surprising me at the last minute are getting slim huh?"
"I'm sure he had a good reason," Yolie said.
"Or maybe he just doesn't care," Davis snipped, as he walked up behind them. It didn't break his heart not to see TK there, but his failure to show up pissed Davis off royally since he knew how upset Kari was over it.
"Don't talk like that Davis! Of course he does!" Yolie snapped.
"Yeah, yeah. I'm just saying he should've been here! What could be more important than Kari anyway?! Whatever the case I'm here for you Kari. I wouldn't have missed this for the world."
"You know I hate to admit it, but I'm going to miss you Davis." Kari smiled, and hesitated for a moment.
"Ah what the heck! Just this once." She lunged forward, and gave Davis a friendly hug.
Davis's face went red, and he literally went numb out of shock that Kari actually hugged him. Yolie had to drag Davis out of the apartment, as Kari laughed and waved good-bye to them. Just as they disappeared, another familiar face came into view. "Hey Sora! You're back!"
Kari greeted her with a friendly hug. "I guess the parties over. You holding up okay little sister?"
"I'm fine."
"You be sure to have a great time. We're all pulling for you."
"I will... If you'll excuse me I need to get ready. I have to leave for the airport in an hour."
********
The hour before Kari had to leave went by very slowly, but somehow seemed to fly by at the same time. Several more long and difficult good-byes didn't do much to help matters. Davis, Yolie, Cody, and Ken all surprised her at the airport for one final farewell, and moral support. Davis tried to act tough, but in the end he wound up crying his eyes out. Now as she stared down the terminal gate all that remained were her parents, Tai, and Izzie who had tagged along. (For the sole purpose of sneaking him into this story at least once) Hugging her parents good-bye was hard enough as it was, but Tai was even worse. Not any more emotional mind you, it was just that Tai seemed unwilling to let go.
"Tai, I'm going to miss you too, but please let go! My plane leaves in ten minutes!"
"Oh I'm sorry." Tai blushed, as he realized what he was doing. "I just hate the thought of not being able to be there to protect you. Best of luck to you Kari."
"Don't worry I'll be fine Tai," Kari snickered.
"May your expedition be an enlightening and enjoyable one," Izzie added.
"I'm sure I will," Kari said. "Whatever you just said Izzie."
Kari waved good-bye to her friend and family before she walked into gate 29 to find her a seat. She noticed they hung around for brief while longer before finally deciding it was time to go. After they disappeared into the endless mass of humanity, Kari immediately began searching her eyes over the area looking for someone she expected to be there. To her disappointment he was nowhere in sight. "Where is he?! He promised he'd be here since he couldn't make the party... He has to be here somewhere. He wouldn't do this to me!"
"You looking for me?"
Kari jumped out of her seat, and found a for once hatless TK standing behind her. She reached over the back of her chair, and locked her arms in a death grip around his chest. "There you are! I knew you wouldn't let me leave without saying goodbye!"
"Of course I wouldn't! What kind of guy do you think I am?" TK asked in mock disbelief. "This is a big day for you, and I'm here to support you all the way!"
"I really wish you were going with me. That would make things a whole lot easier."
"I wish I were going too! Most people never get a chance to see the thing your going to see with their own eyes," he said, as he walked around the row of chairs, and took the seat next to Kari's. "Your a very lucky girl your know Kari. And very talented."
Kari blushed. "I don't know how talented I am, but I'm definitely lucky. I can't wait to see Niagara Falls. It looks so romantic in all the pictures I've seen. I've always wanted to see it with my own eyes."
"That's in New York isn't it? Where Mimi lives?"
"I think so, yes." Silenced followed for a few seconds after that. Kari blushed again, feeling TK's eyes staring down at her. She looked up, her cheeks still tinted red, and noticed a bit of a half smile on his face. He kind of looked like he wanted to say something, but just couldn't quite come out with the words. "TK..."
"Kari... I have a gift I'd like to give to you before you leave."
"You didn't have to do that TK. But since you did what is...."
Kari felt her heart flutter as TK sat up from his chair and kneeled down in front of her. He smiled wide for her, and looked into her eyes, which turned out to be a big mistake. They both froze, and sat there like statues lost in each other's gaze. TK lost all trace of what he was thinking and what he was going say, and poor Kari wouldn't have been able to tell you her name if you'd happen to ask her. For that brief time, all they could see was each other's face staring back at them. Everything else around them was a mood point. All of a sudden Kari noticed TK's nose start to twitch, and the only possible thing that could have ruined that moment happened.
"ACHOO!" TK sneezed breaking the air, and splashing his mucus all over Kari's beautiful face. Kari just stood there dumfounded looking like well... Like someone had just sneezed in her face. Of course the first thing TK did was panic. "Oh my god! Kari I'm so sorry! I'm so stupid! Here let me help you clean that off." He pulled a handkerchief out his back pocket, and proceeded to wipe Kari's face clean with it.
"That's okay TK..." She answered mercifully. "I know you didn't mean it... I appreciate the thought, but I'd rather you kept your DNA to yourself!"
"I'm sorry! That's not what I planned I swear!"
"I sure hope not!" she laughed. "You better hurry, you don't have much time. My plane's going to be boarding any minute now."
"I know, I know!" TK groaned, as he looked all around him. "Just give me one minute to recompose myself."
Kari watched TK pace around the outside of the gate, and could her him cursing himself rather clearly. After a minute of beating himself up, he came back and knelt in front of her again. This time he clasped her right hand in both of his, causing her face to gush bright red. He looked into her eyes again, and Kari just melted. "I'm sorry about that Kari. I promise that won't happen again... Now I've got something to tell you, and it's really important to me."
"Kay..." was all Kari could manage to squeak out.
"Kari... How long have we been friends?"
"About five years now," she stuttered. "Why?"
"Is that it? It feels like I've known you forever, but it hasn't been near long enough. You're my best friend, and you know I value you too much to ever jeopardize that."
"I know TK," Kari laughed. "I feel the same way..."
"Please let me finish," TK requested. "I don't have much time, so I need to say this quick. You know I'd never do anything to hurt you on purpose, but I've been holding this in for way to long. Forgive me if this is bad timing, but I have to tell you now before I lose my nerve. I care about you a lot, and I always have. I know you've known that, but it's not in the way your thinking. There's something I want to give to you before you go Kari... My heart. I love you Kari." TK heard her gasp slightly and noticed her eyes widen, but besides that her expression didn't change. "Please don't argue with me. You don't have a choice but to take it, and I can't take it back even if I wanted to. It's not like I had much choice in the matter either. I lost my claim to it from the first time I met you, and I don't feel right keeping something that doesn't belong to me. It's yours now so do what you want with it. You can throw it to the ground and stomp it into the dirt, or throw it into the ocean and let it sink to the bottom if that's what you so please. It would be my wish that you'd hold it close to yours for the rest of your life, but it's all up to you. I hate to spring this on you so suddenly, but this had to be said. You don't have to answer me right now, or ever if you don't want to. I'll know what it means. Silence speaks for itself after all. Good-bye Kari. Have a wonderful trip."
TK placed a small slit of paper in her hand, before getting up to leave. As he walked away TK looked back, and noticed Kari didn't even bother to look back at him. She just sat there staring straight ahead, with her hands resting in her lap. TK was most surprised by her reaction. Her face was so dormant he couldn't tell if she was shocked, disgusted, or what the heck she was feeling. He wasn't expecting her to jump into his arms and kiss him, slap him in the face or anything that overemotional, but he did expect something. Anything! She didn't say nor do anything. Feeling a tugging pain in his chest, he walked as fast as he could towards the exit. As he walked away one thing preyed upon his mind. *I hope I didn't just lose the best friend I ever had.*
In the meantime Kari sat there in a total state of shock. She was paralyzed unable to move, staring blankly into space unsure that what just happened had really just happened. She was like a motionless, unfeeling blob stuck in emotional limbo unable to think or do anything clearly. She sat there silently until a blonde haired woman came by and literally shook her out of her trance. "Miss Kamiya, if you'd please come back to reality, the plane is boarding now! If you don't hurry it's going to take off without us!"
Kari stared up at the woman blankly not able to do much else. She recognized the woman as an employee from the contest sent to escort her to Egypt. The woman helped her to her feet, and Kari almost unconsciously walked with her onto the airplane.
TK stumbled into the parking lot where Matt was waiting for him in his car. "So, how did it go?" Matt asked impatiently, as TK hopped into the passenger seat, and shut the door behind him. "What was her reaction?"
"There wasn't one," TK sighed depressingly.
"What do you mean there wasn't one?"
"I mean there was no reaction! She didn't say nor do anything, and had this weird look on her face. She didn't even look at me after I left."
"I wouldn't worry about that TK," Matt told him. "You probably took her by surprise that's all."
"Maybe," TK sighed. "I guess I'll just have to wait. That's okay though. I can wait for her forever."
Deciding not to pry into his brother's business any further, Matt nodded his head and fired up the car. TK was suddenly faced with a strange feeling of emptiness in his chest. Yes, of course his heart was still there physically, but spiritually it was laying in the hands of a young girl sitting in an airplane headed for Africa.
That same girl sat in her airplane seat like a stone, still an expressionless mess staring at the back of the chair in front of her as if it were a Picasso. Her guide for the trip had noticed Kari had been like this since the plane took off twenty minutes earlier, and she was beginning to worry. "Are you okay Kari hon? Your not afraid of flying are you?"
Kari looked at the woman who, at that moment, was about as interesting to her as an in-depth discussion on calculus. She remembered the woman's name was Angie. She had met her earlier that day, and decided she liked her. She had a sweet and charming personality, and she was rather attractive to. She had long blonde hair, and a sparkling set of blue eyes. After staring at her with dead eyes for a moment, she finally muttered the first words that escaped her lips in almost half an hour. "Huh? No thank you Ma'am. I'm not thirsty."
Angie's eyes widened in surprise, but she smiled soon after. "I get it. Does the way you're acting have something to do with that boy you were talking to in the terminal?"
"What? No I'm not sleepy right now."
"Oh, I see," Angie laughed. "So it is boy trouble. Oh well. We'll talk about it later."
********
Many hours later Kari's plane landed at Cairo International Airport. Kari managed to find her way back to reality, but it didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what had been on her mind the entire trip. They battled their way through customs, tracked their way to her hotel, and she even got to meet Mrs. Hashinsu. It wasn't until she was locked away in her hotel room when the reality of what had happened slammed into her like a speeding train. Her shock had turned into despair, and she'd spent the majority of the last two hours sobbing into her pillow while berating herself.
"I should've said something! He tells me what I've always dreamed of hearing him say, and I just sit there like a zombie! Lord knows what he must think of me right now..."
Kari couldn't take it anymore, so she broke down and picked up the phone. She quickly dialed the number she knew by heart, and waited impatiently as the phone rang over and over. She felt guilty about calling that late at night, but she couldn't help herself. It was pretty late by Egypt standards, and she could only imagine how late it was in Japan by then. Finally the phone picked up, and a groggy TK said hello from the other end.
"TK? It's me Kari."
"Kari!" He said excitedly, as he sat straight up in his bed. He looked at the clock, which was flashing 2:30, but he could care less about the time at the moment. "What's up? Is everything okay?"
"Everything's fine." Kari sighed in relief that TK was still talking to her, as TK did the same on the other end. "I just really needed to talk to you. I know it must be late. I'm sorry if I woke you."
"That's okay Kari. I couldn't sleep anyway... You know I'd love to talk to you, but the phone bill for this is going to be outrageous!"
"Don't worry about it!" Kari giggled. "This trip is all expenses paid, and that includes any phone calls I make. They weren't expecting me to go an entire month without keeping in touch with home. They assured me I could call whenever I needed to."
"That's good." TK sighed with relief. "So, what's on your mind?"
"I just wanted to say I'm sorry for the way I acted at the airport. I was surprised that's all. You forgive me don't you?"
"Of course I do! You scared me a little, but I forgive you."
"Thanks TK."
The call went on for another ten minutes or so until Kari decided to let TK go so he could get some sleep. Though she apologized for not responding to him, she didn't bring the subject up once during the rest of their conversation. TK still didn't have an answer, but that wasn't what was important at the moment. After hanging up the phone, TK sighed in relief and lay back down on his bed. "At least we're still friends. That's all the really matters right now."
********
TK groaned as he watched the basketball bound off the backboard, and plummet to the ground completely missing the net for the umpteenth time that afternoon. He couldn't concentrate, and it showed. It had been almost two weeks since Kari had left for Egypt, and he missed her horribly. He tried everything to get her off his mind at least briefly, but even basketball wasn't helping. The image of her face kept popping up in his mind, blocking everything else from view including the rim and the backboard. She called just about every night around 8:00, and they'd talk for at least half an hour. He wound up spending most of his days just looking forward to that.
"You're obviously not yourself today," Ken commented, as he picked up the basketball that had conveniently bounced right to him. He jumped and released, and watched as the ball swished through the net. "That makes three times I've beaten you. I haven't even done it once before today."
"I've only played you once or twice before today," TK joked, obviously trying to change the subject. "You don't usually get out much. That kind of makes me think you have another reason for showing up here today besides just shooting hoops."
"I better be careful, you're getting to know me a little to well. That's not necessarily a good thing in the long run."
"I'll be the judge of that," TK said, as he took his shot. This time it at least hit the rim before bounding back out.
Ken smiled, and looked around the playground outside of the basketball court. The park was unusually empty for mid-afternoon on a summer's day. "That's funny. Davis said the exact same thing. Maybe you two do have something in common."
"I have nothing in common with him!" TK sneered, as he picked up his ball.
"Except for Kari you mean."
TK jerked, causing the ball to roll off his fingers, and smack him right between the eyes. He rubbed the bridge of his nose, as the ball bounded away. "What do you mean by that?!"
"I really think you should bury the hatchet with Davis," he said, quickly changing the subject. "At first I didn't think it mattered that you guys didn't see eye-to-eye all the time, but lately this thing's have gotten out of hand!"
"Then go talk to Davis about it!" TK barked, as he went to get the basketball. "He's the one that instigates all of it." He bent down, and picked up the ball. "He's been worse then he's ever been lately! What other choice do I have but to fight back! To tell you the truth I think that little goof could use a good punch in the teeth!"
"A lot of times I'm inclined to agree with that, but it doesn't solve anything! All that results in is more punches thrown!" Ken scolded, as TK started to pace around the court tossing his ball in the air. "It's not like your completely innocent yourself you know. Just by the tone of voice you're using when you make reference to him, and your willingness to fight! You haven't done much of anything but fan the flames! It takes two to tango you know?"
"And what would you like me to do Ken?!" TK barked, unaware his voice was rising. "Davis is always going to hate me, and nothing's going to change that! The only reason he dislikes me is because he doesn't like me anywhere near Kari, and that's not going to change because of that jealous lunatic!"
"I didn't say it had to!" Ken fired back getting defensive. "I don't agree with the way he handles it, but I can't blame him for getting a little jealous. Okay, very jealous. You guys do kind of flaunt it in his face..."
"Flaunt what?!" TK mocked, with a look of clear disbelief. "We don't flaunt anything! Kari flirts with me sometimes, but that's just to make Davis jealous!"
"To tell the truth, I know she gets a kick out of seeing Davis steamed, but I think it's more of a cover." Ken smirked, noticing the funny look TK was giving him. "Whether you want to accept it or not, she obviously likes you as more than just a friend! I mean come on TK! Just a couple days before she left for Egypt, Yolie, Cody, and I sat at the lunch table snickering because she was sitting there staring at you for almost fifteen minutes! I don't think either one of you even noticed!"
"What?... I... I... I don't know about that Ken."
"Think about this TK," Ken continued. "Do you see Davis getting upset when anybody else is with Kari? I mean besides from when someone's flat out hitting on her? Take me for instance. Davis never gets mad or jealous when I talk to Kari."
TK's eyes widened. "Yes... I have noticed now that you mention it. That is kind of strange."
"Not really TK. I notice little things like that all the time, and don't be so foolish to think Davis doesn't to. He does, and he hates it. The times when Kari blatantly flirts with you just rubs salt into the wound. Davis honestly thinks you guys are trying to rub it in his face. That's why he dislikes you so much"
"I had no idea..." TK's face drooped, then he frowned. "Still it's no excuse for him to act the way he does!"
"I know, but Davis is Davis," Ken sighed. "All I'm asking is for you to try to make peace with him. The first steps have to be taken somewhere, and like you said their not going to come from Davis."
"I'll think about it Ken. That's all I can promise right now." TK released another jump shot, and this time the ball sailed clear over the backboard. TK grunted, and folded his arms across his chest.
"I guess girls can do that to you," Ken cracked. TK whirled around, and eyed him curiously. "Well, I've got to go. I've got some other business I need to take care of. I'll see you later."
"Bye Ken," TK said, as he left to retrieve his ball. By the time he got back Ken was already long gone. "I wonder what he meant by that? What does he know exactly..."
"He has a good point though. I must've seen you take thousands of those shots, and I've never seen you miss that badly."
TK searched for a face to go with the voice, when his eyes landed upon a young man sitting on a bench near half court. He was a blue-eyed man with rather long blonde hair. He could easily be mistaken for a girl if seen from behind. "Coach Tamon! How long have you been here?"
"Long enough," he replied, as he sat up and walked towards TK. He was a student teacher at school, only a couple years out of college, and an assistant coach to the basketball team. TK held a lot of respect for him, and liked him a lot. Since he was younger he almost seemed like one of the guys at times rather than just a teacher. "Still out here playing basketball huh? I heard you turned down going to basketball camp this summer."
"Yeah. I did have other plans, but they fell through. To tell you the truth I don't think my heart would've been in it anyway." TK's heart fluttered at the irony of what he'd just said.
"So I see," he replied. "That wouldn't have anything to do with that girl you and your friend were talking about would it? Kari Kamiya I believe her name is isn't it? I remember her. She was one of your biggest cheerleaders wasn't she?"
"Yeah," TK laughed. "I was looking forward to spending the summer with her, but a big opportunity came up for her that she couldn't pass on. She's traveling outside the country for at least the next two and half weeks."
"Ewe! I know what you're going through buddy," he said, as he patted his chest with his fist. "My fiancée works for a magazine, and she's half a world away right now. It's always hard when she leaves on those long trips abroad, but we both hold hope knowing it's only going to be until she gets out of school."
"Speaking of school, are you going to be back next year?"
"I'm sorry but no. I'm going back to finish school myself. Coaching basketball at the school's been nice, but I eventually want to become a fulltime teacher. I'm just not going to accomplish that on the road I'm on right now. Well I've got to be off. Maybe I'll see you around somewhere. I hope everything works out for you."
"I understand," TK said disappointedly. "Thank you... By the way... I hope you don't mind me asking, but I don't remember ever hearing your first name."
"No I don't mind at all. It's Pat. So long TK." He waved and went off on his way.
"Bye Coach... Wait a second?! Pat Tamon?.... I must be imagining things!"
********
Kari gulped as she watched Angie raise one of her photographs over her head, examining it through the dim red light illuminating the darkroom. The look on her face was hard to read. As it turned out Kari rarely saw the famous Mrs. Hashinsu at all in the time she'd been in Egypt, and Angie was the one Kari spent most of her time working with. Kari didn't mind at all however. Though she respected Mrs. Hashinsu's opinion she hadn't even heard of her until she entered the contest, and it didn't really matter much to Kari that she rarely saw her. She really liked working with Angie anyway, and could tell how much she loved photography. Finally, Angie smiled down at her, relieving the tension. "Not bad Kari... But I am a little disappointed in something."
"What is that?" Kari asked.
"It's well... Your pictures do catch the moment well. The one of the Gobi desert floor is especially amazing. The things is... How do I put this? They just don't seem to have as much passion, and excitement as your entries into the contest we fell in love with. I've always been a firm believer that the way the picture comes out in the end reflects the way the photographer's feeling when they snap that picture. Kind of like an artist and their paintings."
"You really think so?" Kari asked nervously. "That you can see how the photographer feels in the picture?... What does it feel then?"
"Well the scenes look gloomy, and lonely," She answered as she hung the picture on the line above the table. "Like theirs something missing, almost like it's incomplete. Kind of like the person taking the picture's got a lot on her mind. Like she's confused about something."
"You can tell all that from a picture?!" Kari gasped in disbelief. Of course her mind had been on other things besides her pictures over the past two weeks, but how could Angie possibly have guessed all that through a couple measly pictures! She blushed, and lowered her head. "Not that I'm actually feeling that way, but your interpretation is interesting...."
"It's not just the pictures Kari," Angie smirked. "I've noticed you haven't seemed happy since we left, and I know that's been affecting your work. Maybe if you tell me what your problem is I can help you work it out."
"Well I have been a little homesick, but other than that I've been fine," Kari lied unconvincingly.
Angie smiled weakly, and continued playing with several other pictures already hanging from the line. "I thought we were becoming good friends here Kari? I was hoping you'd come to me on your own. I hate to do this, but I think I have a feeling I know what your problem is."
Kari glanced up at her with a questioning and concerned eye. Angie noticed this, and giggled as she picked up an envelope laying at the edge of the table. She opened it and pulled out a large stack of pictures, the ones Kari had entered in the contest along with a few others she had given Angie earlier in the week.
"I was looking through a few of your older pictures, and comparing them to some of your recent ones. I noticed most of them have your friends standing in front of the backgrounds."
"Yeah so?..." Kari asked, afraid she knew where Angie was headed. "I think the pictures look better with someone in them that's all."
"I also noticed that one young man in particular seems to show up a lot." Angie giggled, as she watched Kari's face tense up. "That cute blonde boy wearing the funny hat."
"Yeah that's TK! He's my best friend," Kari said, all in about three seconds wanting to make an excuse for it before Angie could make any type of accusation.
"Oh really? That was the boy that was with you at the airport in Tokyo wasn't it?" Angie stopped the interrogation when she noticed how red Kari's face had gotten, and a thought occurred to her. "He didn't say anything to upset you did he?"
"No, not at all! Warmed my heart would be the best way to describe it." Kari suddenly found herself giving in. "It was something I didn't say that's been bothering me,..."
"So this boy is more than just a friend isn't he?" Kari didn't say nor do anything. She just stared at the floor, not needing any words or gestures to give her answer. "I'm sorry. I won't pry into it anymore. At least I know where your mind has been the last few days, and it hasn't been with your pictures."
"He may have been a little distracting..." *Maybe a lot...* She thought to herself.
"Be honest with me Kari. I know how hard it is to be so far away from someone you care about. I feel the same way every time I have to leave my fiancée for these long trips. I get distracted myself thinking about him a lot.
"Fiancée?!" Kari shouted in disbelief. "I didn't know you were getting married?!"
"I never told you? I guess it just never came up!" Angie laughed. "He's been working as a student teacher in Tokyo..."
Their conversation was interrupted by a knock on the darkroom door. A short man in a baseball cap, that Kari recognized as one of Angie's co-workers, opened the door only peering his head inside. "Hey Gato! When you get a minute the boss wants to see you."
"Tell her I'll be there in a minute," Angie answered him, as she did some last second reorganizing of their work station.
Kari looked up at her mentor with wide eyes. "Gato?!"
"Oh that," Angie giggled. "You can blame my fiancée for that. My nickname was cat growing up, but I happen to be half-Spanish. He was joking around and called me Gato instead one night, and before I knew it everyone was doing it!"
"Oh, is that it!" Kari giggled nervously, and blushed. *What am I thinking?! I must be imagining things...*
********
"No way Ken!" Davis screamed, like that was the most repulsive concept he had ever heard. "I've heard enough! There's no way!"
"Listen to reason for once Davis!" Ken pleaded with him. "I'm not asking you to like him or even get along with him! I'm just asking to tone down the hostility a tad. You guys are supposed to be friends! TK doesn't deserve what you put him through!"
"Speaking of friends aren't you supposed to be my best friend?! Shouldn't you be on my side?!"
"I'm not choosing sides Davis! I'm not going to chose between my friends! There's no reason for you guys to be fighting like that all the time! It's stupid, and there's no point to it! At least go back to the way it was originally when you guys would just insult each other from time to time! Nowadays I have to worry about you two beating each other to a pulp every time you see each other!"
"Well, go talk to him!" Davis sneered. "He started this!"
"And how did he start this?" Ken asked.
"He came back to Odaiba!"
Ken was taken back. "That's your reason?! Do you have any idea how stupid that sounds?! Look, all I want you to do is hear me out without blowing your top in the process! TK was being just as stubborn as you are, but at least he was willing to listen!"

"Oh here we go again!" Davis rolled his eyes. "Just another reason why TK's better than me huh?! You too huh Ken?! I should've guessed it! Just another member of the international we love TC Takashi fan club! I'm I the only one that's not a member?!"
"Davis it's not!..." Ken chocked. "Oh forgot it! I don't why I even bothered! I knew this wasn't going to work! Talking to you two has been like trying to get the lion and the zebra to kiss and make up! Well, I've had it, I quit!"
Davis backed off surprised by his friend's sudden outburst. "Why are you so worried about us anyway? This is between me and TK! It has nothing to do with you!"
"It has everything to do with me! And I speak for Kari, Yolie, and Cody when I say this too! You think we like watching you guys at each other's throats all the time?! Hell no, and we're getting sick of it! Look, I've been on the wrong side of those tracks, and I've seen as much fighting as I ever want to see in my lifetime! I've never had many friends before, and excuse me if I don't want to watch two of them massacre each other THANK YOU VERY MUCH!" he screeched almost causing Davis to fall over from his breath. "And over the stupidest!... Well I'm through playing peacekeeper! If you two want to rip each other limb from limb then go ahead! I don't care anymore! The winner will carry on, and we'll bury the loser at sea via my Mama's toilet!"
Davis watched stunned, as Ken stormed away. "Dang..."
"Stupid, hard headed, lame-brained... It's times like this I wish I still had some of my dark rings! Then maybe I could actually get someone to listen to me around here!"
********
TK swung his feet over the cliff, almost able to pat his feet on the ground below, as he watched the sunset over the horizon. You probably wouldn't need more than one guess to who was on his mind at that time. "I can almost see the sunbeams shining off her hair, and her shadow dancing on the ground next to her... I can't even watch a sunset without thinking of her! I definitely have Kari on the brain..."
"There's nothing wrong with that," TK heard a voice from behind him say. "Just don't get your hope up about anything happening with my girl now KT!"
TK cringed. "At least he got both letters right this time," he mumbled softly. He sighed, as he pushed himself up to his feet. "What do you want Davis? I'm really in no mood for an argument right now, so if you're only here to start trouble than I'd rather you just leave."
"I've a question for you TD. Did Ken talk to you earlier today?"
"My name's TK Davis, and yes he did!" TK snapped. "What of it?"
"You notice something right now?" Davis asked, with a smug grin. "Your brother's not around. Tai's not around. Ken, Yolie, or anybody else for that matter, and Kari's half a world away. It's just me and you."
"Yeah, and what of it?"
"Well I was just thinking about what Ken said to me, and I'm starting to think he's right. We do have to find a way to work this out. We have to settle this right here and now!"
"Really Davis?" TK asked, more than surprised to hear that from him. "You know I'd never actually thought I hear that from you...."
TK turned around expecting to talk, but instead got nothing but Davis's fist smashing him in the face. TK grabbed his face with both hands, and hollered out in pain and surprise. "You've had this coming a long time Takashi!" was what he heard right before he felt Davis spear him to the ground. The next thing TK knew, Davis was mounted on top of him raining down punch after punch to any part of the body he found accessible. "What's the matter JT! Is all you can do is lay there and squirm?! Fight back already!"
"If you insist," He groaned, as he removed his hands from his still aching face. He rolled up his right fist, and planted it in that little spot right below Davis's ribcage and right above his stomach. Davis fell off of him, clutching his sternum and doubled over gasping for breath.
Both boys rolled around on the ground regaining themselves. TK recovered first, but wisely stayed on the ground allowing Davis to get to his feet first. As soon as he was upright, TK kicked Davis's legs out form under him, sending the boy right back where he came from. TK hadn't come there that day expecting or wanting to get into a fight, but at the moment he couldn't control himself. Everything Davis had done and said to him and Kari over the past year caught up with him all at once, and Davis's sneak attack was just enough to make him just as willing to release his rage as Davis was. TK quickly pushed himself up, and waited as Davis pushed himself up into a sitting position. TK swung his leg around, and nailed Davis dead in the jaw. Davis screamed as he fell back, and grabbed a hold of his jaw. He knew he'd felt at least one tooth pop out of place after that shot. Now it was TK's turn as he jumped on top of Davis, and landed a series of punches of his own.

"What's the matter Davis?! Is all you can do is lay there and squirm?!" He mocked, as he punched the back of the hand covering Davis's face. "Fight back already!"
That seemed to light a fire under Davis. He muscled his way out from underneath TK, and bounced to his feet. TK did the same, and they both immediately grabbed the collars of each other's shirts. The next several minutes resembled an ice hockey fight as they pushed and pulled fighting for leverage, and trying to land punches at any given opportunity.
"What's the matter hot shot!" Davis sneered, as he missed with a left. "My sister's stuffed animals put up better fights than you!"
"I know this isn't exactly how it goes, but you remind me of that old song my brother's band likes to play a lot!" TK smirked. "What is he good for? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!"
TK pushed Davis back, and caught him with a glancing blow to the chin sending him back just a bit. He followed with a right hand that caught Davis flush in the face, and sent him reeling backwards. He backpedaled towards the edge of the cliff, and suddenly felt himself beginning to slip over it. Just when Davis thought he was going to fall over, he felt someone grab him by the arm and hold him there as he teetered over the edge. With the setting sun shinning off the back of his head, and to afraid to look behind him, Davis stared TK in the face knowing he held his life in his hands.
"Come on TK! You wouldn't just let me go would you?"
"I don't know Davis," TK teased. "What would you do if the situation were reversed? Would you let me fall?"
"Of course I wouldn't " Davis swore. "I did come here for a fight, but I wasn't planning on anyone getting killed!"
"I don't believe you Davis. I think you'd let me fall. All I can say is it was nice knowing you Davis!"
"TK DON'T!" Davis plea was ignored as TK let go of his arm, and he felt himself fall over the cliff.
TK waited, and two seconds later heard a mild thud on the ground below. He lay down on his stomach, and poked his head over the cliff side, and stared down at Davis who was lying flat on his back, his teeth gritting in anger. "You've got to be more careful Davis! Those 10-inch drops are murder!"
"OH! SO YOU THINK THAT'S FUNNY!" Davis screeched. He hopped up to his knees, and grabbed TK by the shirt yanking him to ground below. Davis smirked as TK landed with a thud, as Davis pulled himself to his feet. "TRY LAUGHING AT THIS!"
Davis lifted up his leg, and drove his foot down into TK's gut. He watched as TK wheezed, and coughed up blood. The sight of the blood seemed to trigger something in Davis. His eyes widened, and he backed off almost in shock. He quickly shook it off, and stalked back towards TK. The few seconds of hesitation gave TK ample time to be ready for him. He lunged at Davis, and tackled him in similar fashion to how Davis had done him earlier. They spent the next ten minutes rolling around on the ground swatting at each other, nether one of them ever really gaining the upper hand. Finally, it began to dawn on TK just how pointless what they were doing really was. He tossed Davis off of him, and rolled a good ten feet away. Both tired and wore out, they just stared at each other as they pulled themselves up to their feet.
"That's enough Davis! I've had enough... This is getting us no where!"
"So your giving up already?!" Davis asked, almost hopefully. He looked dead tired, but the anger and hatred could still be seen burning in his drooping eyes.
"Call it that if you want, but I'm done fighting with you!" TK barked, as he wiped a stream of blood off the top of his lip that had trickled down from his nose. "And I mean for good! I've got no reason to fight with you like this, and nether do you!"
"I have every reason!" Davis fried back.
"And why is that?" TK scoffed. "You think Kari's going to like you any better if you kick the crap out of me?! Well, I've got news for you! All you picking a fight with me is going to accomplish is to turn Kari off even more! It's not going to look very good for me either since I fought back..."
"Man have you got it all wrong! This isn't about Kari anymore TK! This is about me and you! Kari has nothing to do with it!"
TK looked shocked. "What are you talking about?! What have I ever done to you?!"
"What have you done to me?!" Davis almost laughed. "Oh yeah! Mr. Perfect TK Takashi! The cute basketball player, and a perfect gentlemen! GOD YOU MAKE ME SICK TK! How everybody likes you more than me! How everyone thinks your better than me! I'm sick and tired of everyone feeling they have to point out all of my faults, while they turn right around and brag about how sweet and perfect you are! That I'm too hot-tempered, I don't think before I act, and I'm not sensitive to anyone's feelings! I think Yolie said it best. How she can meet a guy that's sweet like TK, or a jerk like Davis! I swear if I have to listen to one more person ask me why can't I be more like TK MY HEAD'S GOING TO EXPLODE! Then of course you have to go, and rub it all in my face every chance you get! Kari was just the straw that broke the camel's back! You guys stand there and claim nothing's going on, and the next minute you flirt and stare at each other like everyone else is stupid! Well I've had it! I'm tired of you waving it in my face! I'm tired of your crap, AND I'M TIRED OF YOU!"
"Davis... Is that really what you think?" Davis ignored his question, and turned his back to him. "Davis... I've never purposely tried to do anything to make you think that, and if I have I'm sorry. And trust me, Kari and I are just friends! The only reason she flirts with me is to make you jealous!"
"You're either a liar, or stupid! Don't even try to tell me you don't like her this time... I heard that mush you spewed at the airport. Please take my heart Kari!" he mocked.
"How the hell did you?!...."

"Because I was there!" Davis cut him off. "I wanted to talk to her just one more time before she left, but of course you were already there showing me up as usual!"
TK sighed, and shook his head. "I wasn't trying to show you up, and I've never tried to act like I was better than you! All I ever did was try to be your friend, but you'd just spit at me like it meant nothing!"
"You have a funny way of showing it!" Davis slipped two of his fingers in his mouth, and pulled them out with blood covering both from a cut on his gums Davis had gotten when TK kicked him in the face
"You're the one who picked the fight! What did you expected me to do? Lay there, and let you pound my face into hamburger!" he barked. "Look Davis, it's not me you need to be like. Being yourself is fine, you just have to adjust some of the negative aspects of your personality that makes people look at you the way they do."
"THERE YOU GO AGAIN!" Davis screamed. "WE JUST GOT DONE BEATING EACH OTHER'S BRAINS IN, AND YOU STILL WANT TO MAKE NICE AND BE UNDERSTANDING! WELL I CAN'T DO THAT! I GET ANGRY, AND I'M HEARD HEADED! I JUMP IN WITHOUT THINKING, AND I SHOOT FIRST THEN ASK QUESTIONS LATER! I CAN'T HELP THE WAY I AM!... No wonder everyone likes you more than me... I can't even begin to do anything like that..."
"Listen to yourself Davis! That's one of the reasons every talks about you that way Davis! I'm not the one who goes around trying to prove I'm better than everyone! That's you and you do everything in your power to try to prove it, and act like a conceded jerk no matter what the result! It's not you they don't like Davis, it's your attitude! Like you said your you, and I'm me. Don't change who you are Davis, just get rid of what you don't need to be! Is it me your really jealous of, or are you just frustrated with yourself?!"
"I don't even know anymore..." Davis sighed, shutting his eyes tightly. "It's not that easy for me. We can't all be perfect like you!"
"I'm flattered you think so Davis, but I'm not anywhere near perfect Davis!" TK laughed. "There's plenty of things your better than me at. Not everyone can be the leader of the Digidestined. I don't think I could handle all the responsibility you have on your shoulders, though you seem to do it so easily in your own air-headed carefree kind of way. I can't play a lick of soccer, and you've never been afraid to let Kari know how you feel about her while it took me five years just to build up the courage to do it once!"
Davis smirked. "I am the best soccer player around aren't I?... I'm done with you TK, but don't you dare think anything's changed between us! I need to go somewhere and think for a while... Don't you dare think I've given up on Kari yet either, because it isn't going to happen!"
"You'd be a fool if you did." Davis ignored TK, and began walking away. "Remember you don't have to like me, but there's no reason for you to hate me either!"
Davis stopped dead in his tracks. He turned his head, and looked back at TK for a brief moment before turning to walk away. His expression never once changed. .
********
"I don't know what to do," Kari sighed, as she stared up at the ceiling. A loud knock on her down caused to sit upright in her bed. "Come in."
As expected, Angie's smiling face poked into Kari's hotel room. "Just wanted to say goodnight Kari. Remember we leave for New York in the morning, so take the rest of the day off and try to get some rest."
"Yes Ma'am," Kari replied. "Oh, by the way. My friend Mimi wanted to meet us at the airport if that's okay I mean."
"Of course it's no problem. I look forward to meeting your friend. Night Kari," she said, before shutting the door behind her.
"Goodnight Angie." Kari blew the hair off of her forehead, and collapsed on the bed as she jabbed her hands in her pockets. She felt a triangular shaped object at the bottom of her left pocket. Curious, she pulled it out, and found the little slip of paper TK had given her the day she left Japan. "There it is! I thought I'd lost this..."
Kari hastily unfolded the slit of paper, and read what Takeru had written. It was merely three simple lines, but seeing whom it was, it was more than enough to bring a smile to Kari's face.
"I wrote this just incase I failed to mention it before. I'm sorry to be so brunt, but I didn't feel right keeping something that didn't belong to me. I know it's not much, but it's the only thing I had of any value to me. By the way. Let me know if it stops beating... That's something I'd probably need to know..."
Kari sobbed softly before lunging at the telephone. She picked up the receiver with a slight struggle, and quickly dialed TK's number. She hated calling that late at night again, but she needed to hear his voice before she'd be able to do anything else that night.
TK groaned sleepily, as he reached around the dresser next to his bed searching for his phone. It hadn't woken him up, since he hadn't been able to sleep that night anyway. "Hello," He yawned into the receiver.
"TK? It's me Kari."
"Of course it is!" TK giggled, happy to hear her voice. "Who else would be calling me at two in the morning?"
"I'm sorry. I know it's late, but I really needed to talk to you," she explained.
"That's perfectly fine Kari. You can call me whenever you need to talk," he assured her.
"Thanks TK. I won't make a habit of it. I promise."
"You won't?" he whined, pretending to be disappointed.
Kari giggled on the other end. "Grow up Takeru! I need to ask you a serious question. I really have enjoyed my time on this trip, but I don't know if my hearts in committing to another two weeks of it. I'm seriously thinking about chucking the rest of this trip and headed home. What do you think ?"
"I think your being crazy!" TK yawned again, trying his best to stay awake. "This is too big of an opportunity for you to just throw it away. Besides, you said New York was your next stop wasn't it? Niagara Falls? That was what you wanted to see most of all wasn't it?"
"Yes, but I'll have plenty of chances to see it I'm sure. As for right now I have other things I think I'd rather be doing this summer... TK?" Kari's eyes widen as she heard snoring coming form the other end of the line. She giggled, and lay there silently for about a minute just listening to him breath. "I shouldn't have called so late... Ah... I love you Takeru."
TK dozed off for a very brief moment before waking up. He awoke just in time to hear four words that almost made his heart stop. He didn't know if he was dreaming or not, and decided to get bold. "I love you too Hikari."
Kari my never know why she did what she did next, but she panicked and quickly slammed down the phone.
"He was awake?!... And I just hung up on him..."
"Kari?!" TK stared down the phone, which beeped at him in defiance. "She said... She said she loved me?! Then she hung up on me?... Ugh... I'm never gona get to sleep again..."
********
By the time Kari awoke the next morning, her mind was already made up. She knew what she wanted to do. There were two planes leaving Cairo at 9:15 that morning. One of the bound for New York and the other for Tokyo, and as far as she was concerned there was going to be at least one empty first class seat on that plane headed for New York. Now she needed to find a way to break it to Angie.
"Angie I'm sorry, but I'm not going to New York with you."
To her surprise Angie didn't look upset at all, and actually looked as if that's what she expected. "I can't say I'm not surprise. There isn't anything I can do to change your mind is there?"
"No Ma'am. My heart's just not into it." She blushed, as she thought about what she was about to say. "I left it somewhere else when I came here. I have one with me right now, but it's never really been into photography."
"I understand," Angie smiled. "Well if that's the case then I guess we better be going."
"We? Don't you need to be headed for New York?"
"Not anymore. My only job was to help you. If your going back to Japan then there's really no point in me flying all the way out to America." She explained, which actually made a lot of sense. "Besides, you're not the only one who has someone waiting there for you, you know?"
Kari looked up and smiled. "Thank you Angie. Thank you for everything."

end.
-That's all for C2. Please let me know what you think. I spent four hours editing this thing this morning, so there shouldn't have been too many spelling or grammatical errors. If there is I think I'm going to cry. Part three will be up as soon as I can mange. Kari's returns home with full intentions to return the favor to TK so to speak. If only things were that simple...