Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Sincerity ❯ Sincerity's Dillemma ( Chapter 2 )

[ A - All Readers ]

TK stirred weakly and opened his eyes. "Kari, Mimi, I had the strangest dream."

"Really?" I asked leaning back in my chair. "What happened?"

"Well, I found out Kari was cheating on me with Matt - sleeping with him to be specific. I ran into you and Sora in the park, Mimi, and we had dinner at you place and we got drunk and Sora had some kind of seizure. What are you doing here anyway Mimi?"

"We'll Arch and Kari invited me over to read his new fic, something called a Takimi?"

"Oh no!" TK said before pitching over in a faint.

"Oh no you don't." Kari said dousing him with a bucket of warm water causing him to wake up sputtering.

"What's a Takimi?" Mimi asked.

"It's short for Takeru/Mimi romance." I explained turning to face the keyboard. "And TK was nice enough to recap the first chapter for me. All disclaimers and dedications from the first chapter are still in effect so let's do it!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~

Sincerity's Dilemma
By Archangel Bloodraven

As TK returned slowly to consciousness, his first thought was that he was not in his room and the second was that someone was sleeping his chest.

"Mimi." He whispered remembering the night before. He gently slipped out of bed and lifted her smoothly out of the chair to take his place. He tucked her in and kissed her cheek. "Thank you for caring Mimi, but it doesn't change anything. I give up on love, but I hope that happiness finds you somehow. You deserve it." With his parting words he slipped out the room and silently closed the door. He moved to retrieve his jacket and shoes only to be stopped by a breakfast spread and his wallet sitting across from Mrs. Takichawa.

"Good morning, Takeru. Did you sleep well?"

"Yes ma'am." He said wondering how she knew his name, before he realized he carried an emergency contact card in his wallet.

"Pleas sit. I'd like to talk about my daughter."

TK swallowed as he sank like a stone into the chair. "Mimi and I are friends."

"You may be more than that, but neither of you realize it yet. Please eat." She said pleasantly. "Mimi let you sleep in her bed. Not even her little brother can do that when he's feeling ill. Not even your brother was allowed to do that."

TK's eyes burned with pure hate at the reference to Matt, then forced himself to relax. "How did you know?"

"I can see the obvious similarities in the hair and eyes, but I can also see the balance. Kindness and love over ice and distance."

"I'm not really sure I can love anymore." Takeru said softly. "My brother has been sleeping with my girlfriend for who knows how long and it just hurts so much."

"Of course it does." She said patting his hand. It was easy to see where Mimi got her soft side from. "It will hurt, but it will also heal. I went through my share of broken hearts before I met my husband, but we've been happily married for ten years." She rose and opened the door. "You're a very kind young man Takeru, and you have my permission to stop here any time you wish to talk to my husband, myself, or Mimi, or just to get away from it all." She took a card from a stack near the door and scribbled a number on the back. "That's Mimi's private line." She said as TK pulled on his shoes and jacket. "I think she'd like you to have it."

"Thank you Mrs. Takichawa."

"Call me Diane. Coming from you, Mrs. Takichawa makes me feel old."

"All right then, Diane." He said with slight smile as he tucked the card away and headed out the door. "And thank you, for everything."

***

TK had just made it home and flopped on the couch when his mother came in looking grave. "Is something wrong mom?"

"I ran into some friends of yours and they have some disturbing news." Nancy said moving out the way to reveal three young women.

"Sakura, Hotaru, Minako!" He scooped his three old friends into a group hug. "What brings you here?"

"We were actually sent to get you. You might want to grab that favorite stuffed animal-" Mina began only to be cut off as Nancy handed him the sleeping Patamon.

"I know a lot of things I'm not supposed to." She said. "Go on."

"So what's brings two sailor scouts and a card captor to my door?" TK said as they boarded the elevator.

"It's about Sora." Hotaru said gravely.

"She had some kind of seizure, just crumbled right in the street." Sakura said.

"She's alive." Mina said, cutting off TK's attempted protest. "But she's weaker than a kitten. They'll only let her mother and Tai in to see her, but she asked for you directly." She explained as they exited the building.

"Where's she at?"

"Odiba General. TK what's going on?" Sakura demanded.

"Meet for lunch at the Hanging Palace restaurant, and I'll explain there." He said boarding the bus. "Noon!" He shouted as the bus pulled away.

***

It was nearly ten when Mimi woke up to a steaming cup of coffee and her father sitting at her bedside. "Good morning Princess. I noted you had some company last night."

"We didn't do anything like that daddy I swear."

"I know." He said with a smile. "I trust your judgment, though I was surprised to find you two the way you were this morning."

"The way...?" Mimi repeated dazedly before she remembered. She had put TK in her bed and fallen asleep on his chest.

"A little too much wine?" Her father asked casually. "One of the medium grade vintages I noted."

Mimi blushed and hung her head. "Daddy..."

"I'm not angry, but I'm not exactly knowledgeable about how to go about a conversation like this, so why don't we start from the top?"

"Okay. You remember Matt?"

"Yes, and less than fondly."

"Well, I met Matt and his little brother TK-"

"TK?"

"Gomen. It's short for Takeru. He was the one here." She explained quickly as she swung her legs over the bed. "I met them during my time in the digital world with the monsters. He was so young then, only eight but there was a kind of light and compassion about him, that always made me feel better." She sighed at the memory and forced her mind back to the present. "After we'd gone to America I thought I'd lost track of him for good, but then when I came home yesterday I found him sobbing in the park. Turns out his brother, who was cheating on me, was doing it" The subtle emphasis she gave the word conveyed her multiple meaning. "with his little brother's girlfriend. I brought him back here because I didn't trust him not to do anything stupid. We had dinner,"

"When did you cut yourself?"

"We were roughhousing and knocked the knife off the counter. TK cleaned me up." She gazed at her hand almost fondly. "He's nothing like his brother. He's kind and caring and generous and... perfect."

"So let me see if I can finish this story. You had dinner," Mimi nodded. "drank a half a bottle of wine," another nod. "and he passed out and you put him in bed."

"No." She said draining the coffee cup. "We were drunk and we got to slow dancing, and the song he and his girlfriend used to have started playing. Oh daddy the look on his face, it was like his heart was ripped apart all over again. He just folded into my arms sobbing, then he swore he was never going to fall in love again. I put him to bed and made a promise of my own to always be there to heal him when he hurts."

"Do you love him?" Her father asked softly. Mimi spread her hand in an 'I don't know' gesture. "Does he make you happy?"

"Hai." Mimi whispered.

"Then it's settled. He's welcome here as long he treats with the respect you're due."

"Thanks daddy." She said standing up and heading for the shower.

"Hello precious. You have some messages on the machine."

"Thanks mom." Mimi said punching the button.

"Hey Mimi, it's Duo. A little birdie said you were back in town, so me and the guys wanted to know if you wanted to have lunch at the Hanging Palace. You did say you love that place. If so we were thinking around noon, so give me a call. Later."

"Duo Maxwell you old card." Mimi grinned as the next message began to play.

"Hey Meems. It's me." Matt's dispassionate voice drifted out of the machine. "I was kinda hoping we could get back together, yanno? Call me."

"Of all the egotistical arrogant self centered - argh!" She snarled punching the delete button.

"Mimi it's Tai. Look Sora had some kind of seizure last night and she's in the hospital now. She asked for TK but I think you might want to come over too. Odiba general, room 364."

"Sora..." She said dazedly. "I gotta go." She said snapped out of her reverie and grabbing some fresh clothes. Five minutes later she was out the door.

***

"Sora." TK whispered. as the red haired girl slowly opened her eyes.

"T...K..." She sounded as if it was taking all her energy just to say his name. "How..."

"I'm all right." He lied.

"Liar. I feel our love."

"You mean the 'destined?"

Sora managed a weak thumbs up. "My crest."

Suddenly his words came back to haunt him with stunning clarity.

I'm never letting anyone in my heart again. It hurts too much when they leave.

"You gave up?" Sora asked.

"Yes I did but I never meant to hurt you. I'll love again for you."

"No!" Sora snapped. "Always for yourself. Never for another." She said sinking back into the cushions.

"I'm sorry sir but you'll have leave. The desk nurse should have never let you in." An orderly said ushering TK out.

"I asked..." Sora said, giving TK a halfhearted wave goodbye.

"Well that's different, but you still need your rest." He said.

"Well, I have to be going anyway." TK said stepping away from the orderly into the elevator. As the doors slid shut, on his immediate right the doors opened as Mimi disembarked and marched straight for Sora's room, despite the protests of the desk nurse and orderlies.

"Girlfriend what did you do to your hair?" Mimi said lightly as she stormed into the room. "That look is so last week."

"At least it's not pink." Sora whispered good naturedly. "Big favor."

"From me for you anything."

"Help TK heal." She whispered. "Do that?"

"If he'll let me." She said patting the other girls hand. "I'm gonna let you rest and I'll see you when you're better."

"Thank you." Sora whispered as she left. "From both of us."

***

"Konichiwa sir. Can I help you?"

"Yes." TK said absently. "I'm with the Kinomoto party."

"Table 7. Follow me." The older man said leading him to the table where his three friends sat waiting. "Anything to drink, sir?"

"Green tea will be fine and I'll have a light won ton soup, please." He said absently.

"What's going on TK?" Mina snapped.

"You guys are my friends right? You wouldn't stab me in back after you told me I could trust you, right?"

"Of course not!" Sakura protested.

"Yes, we're your friends. What gave you that idea?" Mina squealed.

"He was betrayed." Hotaru said. "The eyes are the windows of the soul, and your soul has been shattered."

"Kari?" Sakura said suddenly understanding.

"Let me start at the beginning."

***

"Chang Wufei, party of six."

"So good to have you back Mr. Chang, and you as well Ms. Takichawa. You'll be at table 8."

Heero arched an eyebrow as they were seated. "What can I say, I'm a regular." Mimi said.

"Right." Duo said sarcastically.

"Being a heavy tipper doesn't hurt any either, right Mimi." Trowa said playfully.

"I guess." She said, as the waiter brought her a cup of green tea. "Not my usual. Something light."

"A won ton soup, Miss?"

"Excellent." She said half heartedly as the waiter hurried away.

"Something's wrong." Quatre said.

"Personal problem." Mimi said lost in thought.

"A guy." The boys chorused

"Yeah." She said. "A guy who left me in a very confusing situation." She explained as rationally as she could about Matt, Kari and TK, then fell into a depressed silence as the waiter brought her soup before proceedingto the next table.

"You have feelings for the young man?" Duo asked.

"Yes, but I'm the Digimon Emperor if I know what I'm feeling. TK makes me feel alive for the first time in a long time but is that because he reminds me of Matt or because he's so different from Matt or..." She sighed and trailed off into silence.

"Do what you heart knows is right." Quatre said.

***

"That's low." Mina said.

"I'd rather take on the minions of the Negaverse and a fresh outbreak of Clow cards than have my heart ripped apart like that." Sakura said as TK finished his tale of woe. "So what else is on your mind, kid?"

"Mimi."

"Your savior." Hotaru said lightly, sipping on a cup of tea. "If you wish it so."

"Huh?"

"Let me try this my way." Sakura said reaching into her bag and producing a deck of oversized cards.

"Oh no, no Clow cards."

"Not Clow, TK. Just tarot cards." She said pushing the deck towards him. "Shuffle and turn the top four cards. They may be of help."

TK quickly shuffled and turned over the first. "The lovers. Your deck has a warped sense of humor." Sakura merely sat in silence. Without a forthcoming answer TK was forced to turn the next card. "The chariot?"

"Balance and Justice." Sakura said tapping the card. "Whatever happens, when this works out, it will all be equitable."

"Okay." He said turning over the next card. "Death." He said with a shiver.

"Rebirth, a fresh start." The card captor said smiling. "You of all people could use one about now."

"The wheel of fortune?" TK said turning the final card.

"It means your life is going to take a turn for the better." Sakura said, putting the cards back into her bag. "If, as Hotaru says, you wish it so."

"Well, thanks for everything guys. You've given me a lot to think about." He said slipping out of the booth and running right into Mimi.

"Oh I'm sorry... Mimi!" His eyes gaped in surprise as realized who it was. "What are you doing here?"

"Eating silly. Some of my friends invited me out to lunch."

"Are you well TK?" Quatre asked.

"I'm not sure, old friend." Mimi cast a puzzled look between the two. "Quatre and I shared an apartment with a couple of other guys for a short while." He said by way of explanation. "But excuse my poor manners. Mina, Hotaru, Sakura, this is Duo, Heero, Wufei, Quatre, and Trowa."

"TK are you doing anything today?"

"Not really. Why?"

"Because I'd like to take you to my advance martial arts class." She said shyly.

"I think I'd like that." He said taking her hand and following her outside.

"A fresh start." Wufei said.

"For the willing." Hotaru said.

***

"Woman!" A familiar voice snarled as Mimi walked in the door. "You returned to Japan yesterday, so why didn't you resume your training immediately?"

TK chuckled as he leaned against the doorframe. "Maybe she wanted a day of rest before you started pounding her into the ground, uncle Vegeta."

"There's only one person who can call me uncle and live to get away with it, and you ain't him kid." Vegeta snarled unleashing a powerful ki blast.

TK backhanded it back to him throwing Vegeta across the floor with his own attack. "Not today uncle. I'm not in a good mood."

"Pick on someone your own power level." Another voice from the past said.

"Is that a joke, Nameck?"

"Piccolo." TK said as his old roommate drifted down from the top of the room. "What's the idea of hanging around with this guy?"

"I don't really have a choice." He said with a rare half smile. "We're partners."

"I don't even want to know." TK said shaking his head.

"That was pretty impressive kid, seeing how you didn't even power up." Vegeta growled.

"You're ki is strong, but it's also dark." Piccolo said grimly. "Yours as well Mimi."

"Now is one of the darker times in my life." TK said thinking back to Matt and Kari and unconsciously powering up. "The two people I thought I could trust got together and stabbed me in my back!" He shouted before blasting a hole the buildings rear wall.

"Rage." Vegeta said simply. TK looked strangely at his uncle as he powered down. He sounded somehow disappointed. "I will tell you this now nephew. Ki energy can either heal or hurt, but until you let go of that rage, you'll never reach your full potential and you'll only end up destroying yourselves." In a flash the brief glimpse of a caring saiyin disappeared and the rough veteran of battle returned. "Get changed." He said tossing him a uniform. "You just joined the dojo."

***

The week continued in this way without fail. After school, TK and Mimi would meet at the dojo, let Vegeta and Piccolo throw them around for a couple of hours and after a half a senzu bean a piece, and a shared French vanilla ice cream float, they would part ways and start the cycle again the next day.

TK was laying on his bed one night when his mother tapped lightly on his door. "Can I come in?"

"Sure mom." He said absently.

"TK you've been moping around all week and I'm really starting to worry. Please tell me what's wrong."

"Have you ever had your life just spin totally horribly wonderfully out of your control?" He asked staring at his ceiling.

"You'll have to start at the beginning, dear."

"Okay. About a week ago I walked in on Matt and Kari in bed together, and it definitely wasn't nap time. I ran into Mimi and we comforted each other over pasta, salad and wine." Nancy arched an eyebrow. "Nothing like that, mom. I kinda got drunk and Mimi let me sleep in her bed. But mom, I think I made a big mistake. I swore off falling in love."

Nancy smiled a thin smile. "I once made that same promise and I learned a lesson that I'm sure you'll figure out before this is all said and done."

"But I think I may have hurt someone. You know the crests we had, or actually have because we still carry the energy inside?"

"Yes, yours was hope wasn't it?"

"Yes it was. My friend Sora's was love and I guess..." He trailed off. "Well I still haven't figured it out totally yet, but I think she can feel the love of the other Chosen Children, and when I swore swore off love, she had some kind of seizure and ended up in the hospital. I told her that I'd try to love again for her but she told me something odd, that I'm starting to understand. She said, 'Always for yourself. Never for another.'"

"And I agree. If you force yourself into love you only end up unhappy. I learned that the hard way. But recently, where do you go everyday?"

"You remember uncle Vegeta?" When Nancy nodded, TK continued. "He's Mimi's martial arts instructor and Piccolo is his partner. I've been going there for lessons."

Nancy gave him a look that clearly said she didn't believe it. "Is there anything else?"

"Nothing I can explain mom. But I promise when I figure this out, I'll tell you."

Nancy sighed only a little better informed than when they started. "Okay Takeru." I trust you. She thought leaving her son to his own devices.

TK got up and looked at the picture Andromon had taken on their first trip to the digital world. His eyes strayed from Kari who stood beside him to Mimi who was standing behind him.

"How did you get here?
Nobody's supposed to be here.
I've tried that love thing for the last time.
My heart says 'No! No!
Nobody's supposed to be here!'
but you came along and changed my mind.


I've spent all my life
on a search to find
the love who'll stay for eternity,
the heaven sent to fulfill my needs.
But when I turned around
again love has knocked me down.
My heart got broken.
Oh, it hurt so bad.
I'm sad to say love wins again.

So I place my heart under lock and key
to take some time and take care of me
but I turn around and you're standing here.

How did you get here?
Nobody's supposed to be here.
I've tried that love thing for the last time.
My heart says 'No! No!
Nobody's supposed to be here!'
but you came along and changed my mind.

'This time I swear I'm through.'
But if only you knew
how many times I've said those words
then fall again. When will I ever learn?
Knowing these tears I've cried
this lovely black butterfly
must take a chance and spread my wings.
Love can make you do some crazy things

So I place my heart under lock and key
to take some time and take care of me
but I turn around and you're standing here.

How did you get here?
Nobody's supposed to be here.
I've tried that love thing for the last time.
My heart says 'No! No!
Nobody's supposed to be here!'
but you came along and changed my mind.

I give up." He sighed. "I swore I would never do this again but..."

"It'll be good for you." A familiar voice said from the window.

"Gatomon. Did she send you to spy on me?" He said icily.

"She's my partner, not my master." The little cat snarled. "Can I come in?"

TK walked over and gathered the small digimon into his arms. "Did she hurt you?"

"Yes... no... I don't know." She said. "I wanted to tell you about what they were doing as soon as I found out but she threatened to destroy her digivice. I was drawing so much of my energy from Kari that destroying the conduit, the digivice, would have destroyed me as well."

"How long has it been Gato?"

"Two years." she murmured burying her face in his chest.

TK fell onto the bed in shock. Two years? His attention was refocused as Patamon gracelessly hit the floor.

"Oh Pata." Gato jumped gracefully and cradled the other digimon in her arms. "Nothing. I don't feel anything." She whispered sadly. "DAMN YOU TO HELL KAMIYA HIKARI!" She yelled before breaking down sobbing.

"Shush." TK said scooping both of the digimon into his arms. Gatomon quieted down a bit but poor Pata may as well have been dead to the world. "What's wrong with him Gato?"

"Sora wasn't the only one who's crest was damaged in all this." She sniffled. "You lost your hope because of all this. Damn it Kari, you have to think about the consequences!"

"So I have to love and hope again?" TK said exasperated. "This is impossible!"

"Not impossible Takeru. Just takes some time." The white cat said licking his face as she crossed to the window and vanished into the night.

***

Mimi was surprised when she arrived at the dojo alone.

"Piccolo, where's TK?"

"He won't be here for today's session. He said he had some urgent matters to." The Nameck answered.

Mimi's eyes narrowed as she pulled out her cell phone. "Nancy, is Takeru there?"

"No Mimi." She paused as if debating something then said. "He went over to the Kamiya apartment after school."

"I see." Mimi said numbly. "Thank you." She managed as she collapsed her phone. "He's going back to her." She said as she stood in shock. "I thought we had something."

"Never make assumptions woman." Vegeta growled. "Any relationship, be it friends, lovers, enemies, or healer all depend on trust. Now get out of here. Your mind wouldn't be on the lesson anyway."

As she wheeled around and stormed out, her shock was replaced by fury. I'll show him. She thought storming down the street. If wants to get back together with that two bit hussy, then I have a reunion of my own.

Do you really want to do this, Mimi? Her conscience asked sounding more than a little like Lillymon. Takeru was nothing but good to you. You swore you'd never hurt him, but if you go back to Matt and you're wrong, you'll hurt him worse than Kari ever could.

But what if I'm right?

Then doesn't he at least deserve a chance to tell you to your face?

Right. She said changing course and heading for the Kamiya apartment.

***

Mimi was just coming up the stairs as Tai opened the door. She hastily pressed herself into a corner to listen.

"Thanks a lot Tai." TK said as he pulled on his jacket. "I really appreciate the advice."

"Hey anything to derail that back stabbing snake who calls herself my sister. But I gotta admit, you and Mimi?"

"I can hardly believe it myself, but somehow... I fell in love Tai. She's sweet and kind and perfectly flawed, if that makes any kind of sense."

"Actually it makes perfect sense. My sister broke your heart and you walled it off. Without even trying, Mimi's slipped past those walls to start rebuilding. I bet you were surprised?"

TK chuckled. "Not half as much as she'll be when she sees this."

Tai whistled appreciatively. "I'm not gonna ask how. But TK what you're thinking of is a very serious step."

"I know. And I also know I've never been more certain of anything, or wanted anything more badly than I want- no, need this now. There is no other ending for this."

"Then I'm behind you, but there's something else you need to know. After Sora told me about Kari, I did some snooping around." There was a rustling of paper as the boys flipped through some forms.

"Are these for real?" TK said in shock.

"Very real. Kari and Matt are married."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~

"So what do you think so far?" I asked spinning away from the keyboard.

"Aside from the fact that you no less than half a dozen plugs from Robster's fic, 'The Boyz' and you've turned me into a real bitch, it's great." Kari said.

"The song was Deborah Cox's ' How Did You Get Here?' Right?" TK said.

"Yup. Now to get to work on the next part, provided you're not gonna faint on me." I chuckled.