Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Summer Camp of Love ❯ Make a move ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CHAPTER SIX
 
The first week had finally passed and already five couples were identified. Only a couple of weeks left until camp would end, and, already, the couples wee making plans for the rest of the summer. Davis thought they were taking it too far… but what was he thinking, he never had a date before.
 
Today is was rainy, but the camp offered plenty of indoor facilities, but today was an event day in arts and crafts. Junta and Ami wanted everyone to feel the love in their art. They were going to play some soft and gentle music, and what the campers had to do was listen to it, and really feel it, and get an idea of what to draw or sculpt of anything from it.
 
Hotomi painted a wonderful landscape of cherry-blossoms in the spring. Cody was impressed and complimented her work. Hotomi blushed and explained that it was nothing. “I paint all the time with my grandmother when I'm at home. But I always get pretty thirsty when I finish.”
 
Cody reached into his knapsack and pulled out some prune-juice. Hitomi's eyes nearly glistened with tears, “Is that…?” Prune juice was her absolute favorite drink in the world. Cody wasn't all that fond of it as she was, but he still liked it, and Hitomi pecked his cheek for being so nice.
 
Davis sighed and rolled his eyes, and then concentrated on his own painting which was a painting of the whole camp, but something was missing… so… he let the paint dry a little, and then using fine-pen-markers, began to draw Kari in the picture, and he didn't even look at a picture of her or even Kari herself… he had seen her and memorized her so much… he could draw a perfect picture of her with his eyes closed.
 
“Well isn't that sweet…” said a voice form behind. It was Chloe, she was going around admiring everyone's work, and wanted to speak to Davis personally, she handed him a note.
 
“Meet me in my office before lights-out.”
 
XXX: Chloe
 
“Huh?” Davis gasped softly, yet embarrassingly. Those crosses only now made him realize that Chloe was crushing on him. “Who's the letter from Davis?” said a teasing voice from behind, it was Kari. Davis quickly discarded the note, “It's nothing… just a gag.” He then asked why Kari wasn't working on her painting, and found she was finished.
 
Kari had painted a picture of that dream she had a lot, being in that boat and the world was blurry and a handsome stranger was with her, but his face was still not seen. “Beautiful…” Davis said as he admired only Kari in the picture.
 
Kari then caught a quick glimpse of Davis' picture of the camp and she was the only camper in it, yet she looked so perfectly sketched out. She took this as either a sign that it was something special… or that Davis was just attempting to make all the campers and did her first.
 
Yolei saw them sitting together, and hoped that this was it, but alas… Davis went to the bathroom and he and Kari hadn't seen each other for pretty much the rest of the day. “Ugh!” she groaned.
 
Then she gazed over and TK and Mina, who each drew a romantic, yet heroic picture of each other. Yolei didn't care what anyone said… she was tired of waiting and was going to do something about this.
 
She got out a small pad and pen, and remembering Kari's handwriting from all the times they exchanged notes in classes, she careful wrote Davis a message. Then, braining the rains she made it to the boys' cabin and left the note on Davis' bunk. “He better find this.” she hoped…
 
But when she closed the door, the resulting breeze caused the note to fly off the bunk and land down on TK's bed below Davis'.
 
 
The rain's stopped, and Junta and Ami arranged for another campfire to help dry the camp up a little bit, but with plastic covers over the logs and rocks for the campers to sit on.
 
Kari was sitting by herself, as usual, but then TK excused himself from Mina and came along. “Kari… I got your note.” He said as he sat down next. Kari was confused and looked at the note…
 
“If it stops raining, please sit with me at the campfire. I really need to talk with you.”
 
“--Kari”
 
Kari realized this was Yolei's doing, but she didn't mind having company. “What's up with you, lately?” TK asked. “You've been spacing out way too much, even more than usual.”
 
Kari decided it was time somebody else knew for once, “Okay…” she sighed, “I'm really… into Davis. I want to be his girlfriend.”
 
TK was both overjoyed and concerned about Kari's feelings. “Well, why don't you just go and tell him that?”
 
That's what Yolei said, but once again Kari wasn't sure if Davis would accept her. TK decided to badger her, “Well… you do what you have to, but you may want to do something before the first girl comes along and snares him away.” Then he went off to meet up with Mina.
 
No sooner had he left, did Davis come along and ask if he could sit with Kari, since they both seemed to be alone and could use a good friend for comfort. Kari let him stay… though she wasn't too thrilled that he called her just a friend… girls didn't like that.
 
For a few minutes they sat there watching the fire, and then turned to face each other as if to say something, but then they blushed and laughed softy. Kari decided maybe she should test Davis and see if he really thought anything about her… but she had to make it not look so obvious.
 
“Davis…?”
 
“Yeah…?
 
She asked about the battle during Maylo-Myotismon, and found it cool that he was unaffected by the illusions, “But… didn't you have any dream or anything.”
 
Davis thought that was kind of a silly question, “Well… yeah-- I wanted to destroy that evil creep and save the two worlds.”
 
Kari knew that, but she meant anything else, other than his wanting to open a noodle-empire. Davis came clean that… he did have one dream. He was hoping that one day the girl of his dreams would open up to him and accept him for who he really was, and most importantly… “Give me a chance for once.”
 
Kari did take that as a sign, maybe he did still like her… no, not like… it was way more than that, but then she wondered, “Why didn't you experience that dream during the battle?”
 
Davis knew that apart from wanting to win the fight above all else, the wish he wanted was a desire of passion, caring, and the purest emotions like… love… and even Davis had a lot of sense to know that you could not wish for a thing like that. “Love doesn't work that way.” he said, “And even if the illusion had captured me, I knew it wouldn't be real, because love does not work with magic.”
 
Kari thought that was deep… really deep. It was making her heart race.
 
“Why do you ask…?”
 
Kari felt nervous and was arguing with her inner-self. “Go on! Tell him now!” but she chickened out again, “Nothing really.” She just sat there and leaned her had on his shoulder, and Davis, though feeling a little her wrapped his arm around her and brought her closer.
 
Yolei could see them, and she figured it was a start, despite her little screw-up with the note. “Uh, Yolei…” Ken said. “I think your marshmallow's done!”
 
His girlfriend snapped awake and realized her marshmallow was on fire. “Wah! Oh no! Not again!”
 
At bedtime, Chloe was waiting impatiently for Davis to show up, and let him now how she felt, but she gazed out the window of her office and saw Davis escorting Kari to her cabin, and she pecked him on the cheek goodnight, and Davis just gazed at her until she walked inside and out of sight. Then he went to his own cabin… clearly forgetting about Chloe's note.
 
“All right… this means war!” she grumbled.