Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Summer Camp of Love ❯ No Kari? ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CHAPTER SEVEN
 
As the days continued to roll by, the annual ballroom night was slowly approaching, and Junta and Ami were already hard at work preparing things to make it as exquisite and elegant as ever.
 
Still… camp continued, and more couples were starting to blossom. There weren't that many single people left… In fact, Cody was asked to the ball-dance in advance by Hitomi. Cody couldn't refuse, but he felt embarrassed, mainly because he didn't know how to dance. “Don't worry, Cody. They'll be teaching us how.” Ken said.
 
“Yeah… just make sure you don't step on her feet.” Davis teased. Yolei flicked his ear for that, “Ow!”
 
“At least Cody actually has a date… you don't.” she said to him.
 
She got him there. “So what…? You ever heard of thing as going stag?” he asked rhetorically, “Besides… it's not like I could care any less if I have a date or not. Now if you'll excuse me… I was challenged to some video games today.” Then he left…
 
As he walked to the main game-house, he sighed heavily, “Yeah… couldn't care less about a date.” He muttered sarcastically, hinting that he was feeling a little bummed. The others were watching him and could sense his doubt from where they were, under a large tree.
 
“Poor guy…” TK said, “He's got more courage than anyone I've ever met, he's overcome outstanding odd, defeated giant monsters, and he can't do a simple thing like tell Kari how he feels.”
 
Yolei had the nerve to interfere again, “Remember that note incident?” Ken reminded her. Yolei felt embarrassed, and TK apologized for blabbing it out a few days earlier. “Where is Kari anyway?”
 
Kari had been keeping to herself for quite a while and just going off without telling anyone. The last time she was seen she said that she needed time to think…
 
 
Kari was in the woods near the trail and picking the pedals off a flower. “I tell him… I don't… I tell him… I don't…” she got so flustered that she lost track of her count and threw the flower down. “Ugh…! What's the matter me?!” she yelled up at the sky. She felt exhausted after that one scream, and she decided, “That's it… I'm going for it!”
 
She ran through the woods as fast as her legs could carry her, but she neared the exit area, someone leapt form out of nowhere and grabbed her, and knocked her out with chloroform.
 
Kari woke up to find herself in a dark and crafty bedroom and staring into the eyes of someone with seemingly ill intentions. “Who are you…? Where am I?” Kari groaned. She tried to get up, but found she was locked in a closet.
 
The other person laughed in a feminine voice, “Oh, you'll see…”
 
 
Kari hadn't been seen all day. She didn't even return to the camp when it came time for lights out. This made the gang a little worried. They even went to Ami and Junta for help, but to their shock and confusion, Junta and Ami claimed there was no such camper listed under the name of Kari Kaymiya.
 
“What?!” snapped Davis.
 
The other couldn't believe their ears either, and would've headed out to search for her, if they were not strictly told to head to bed. “Sorry… camp rules.” Ami said as she forced the gang out and shut the door. “Okay… what just happened?” asked Yolei.
 
As they headed back to their cabins, they couldn't help but notice Chloe was out with a brown paper lunch-bag. “Chloe…?” She didn't answer and just walked off into the darkness.
 
Heeding their counselors' orders they all headed to bed, but were all very worried about Kari. This was ridiculous! Davis almost even had a nerve to sneak out after dark, but he was talked out of it by TK.
 
 
The next day, the gang spread out all across the camp to look for Kari, but she was nowhere to be found. There was no evidence that she left the camp for the counselor's kept insisting there never was any Kari.
 
Davis called home and checked with Kari's family, but she wasn't home, and they too were acting as if nothing was wrong. Kari was missing, and all Tai said was “I'm sure she'll show up.” and then hung up.
 
This was bad. Very bad!
 
Davis wasn't giving up, he had to find her, but things only got stranger. Kari's luggage was missing from the girls' bunk, and the painting she had made of her dream was gone too.
 
Davis felt like he was going to hyperventilate. “This is not happening!”
 
Davis asked the other campers if they had seen Kari, but again he got the same attitude. “Who's Kari?”
 
“Never heard of the girl.”
 
“You sure you're feeling okay?”
 
To make things even more mysterious, Chloe had been often seen stepping out onto the grounds with a brown paper-bag of food, and then disappearing to who knew where. Davis knew Kari wasn't in the Digital World. Though the gang had always kept their D3's on hand, there were no computers that had a Digi-gate on them, and there was also no indication that Kari had just vanished into thin air like when the Dark Ocean grabbed her, or the D3's would've warned them.
 
…and finally, Kari's D3 wherever it was, was turned off. They had no way to trace her. Davis felt so shocked that he went back to his bun and fainted asleep his bed in exhaustion.