Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ The Alphabet of Despair! ❯ Despair or Desire ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CHAPTER SEVEN
 
It was dark outside, as the sun had already set…
 
Kari was sitting by a fountain with tears in her eyes. Davis' movie was so bitter-sweet, and depressing, it was piercing her in the heart, and head. She never knew Davis had it in him to make such beautiful works.
 
“He has changed… and so have I.” she thought.
 
She began thinking back to the old days when Davis was the guy she remembered…
 
Always getting into trouble. Losing his cool so easily. Going around boasting how great he was, and even treating Kari as if she was “His girl”.
 
She remember how she even gave Davis a piece of her mind when he was badmouthing about his older Jun, without even hearing the bit where he and his sister never really got along.
 
Out of all that… Davis was still okay guy then. Just like Tai, brave, strong, graceful, maybe obnoxious, but… he did so many wonderful things for everyone.
 
Never giving up when all hope seemed lost. Being the only one of them to actually give Ken a chance after his evil way were through… and even inspiring everyone to believe in, and follow their dreams.
 
Kari sighed softly to herself with a sad smile on her face. For all those reasons, deep down Kari knew she liked him, but now these days… he wasn't the same guy everyone knew anymore.
 
He wasn't as boastful, or his old hot-shot self… but instead, he was more understanding, and more gentle. Many bullies picked on his, and even gave a few bruises when he wasn't looking… and he never once did anything in his defence.
 
No raising his fists, no insults… not even reporting it to the principal… of course that was one thing that hadn't changed about him, and that was blowing whistles like that.
 
… and just now, with the aid of his movie, he proved that deep down he was a real passionate and sensitive guy, and he could respect other peoples feelings as he said in his movie; “We are humans… we have feelings that can be broken.”
 
Kari hung her head low letting her tears splash on the stone. “How could I have been so blind?” she cried softly to herself…
 
Ever since her ex-boyfriend moved away two years ago, she didn't think she was up to dating anyone again, but in reality, she had been trying to convince herself if there really was some other guy out there for her… and now she knew for a fact there was.
 
“But, how… how do I tell him?” she thought to herself.
 
She was suddenly snapped out of her trance when she saw a Kleenex being offered to her by Davis. “You should dry your eyes Kari… you know I hate seeing you cry.” he said to her tenderly.
 
Kari sniffled, dried her eyes, and blew her nose. Davis could see she was feeling a little better. “So… the gig is out.” he said “My movie was that good?”
 
Kari sniffled again, and nodded. “It's the single most beautiful thing I ever heard and saw.” she said. “But… I have to know… why did you make such a depressing film.”
 
Davis had a feeling someone was going to ask him that, having the feeling that he did it more than just showing people he had feelings. The film did mean he was all depressed and bitter, but why?
 
Davis sighed sadly and walked a few paces away from her. “It's because I don't fell like I have anything to live for.” he said sadly.
 
Kari felt almost shocked that he would say anything like that… but Davis went on explain how everything that had been happening to him so far was making feel hurt, betrayed, and most of all … alone.
 
He helped save the world countless times over. Even risking his own life for the success of the battles, and still people treated him wrongfully. Bullies beating on him, girls trying to get him in trouble…
 
Davis felt like no hero at all. People didn't give him a chance, they still treated him bad… “And worst of all… I don't think I'll find anyone special to call my own.” He sighed.
 
Kari bolted upright. “No.” she snapped. “Stop that!”
 
Davis turned around to face her. “What?”
 
Kari decided it was now or never. “Davis… the others know you don't deserve this… even I do.” she replied. “Maybe I went a little overboard in teasing you with TK, but… I've finally realized you do have sensitive feelings.”
 
Davis never heard anyone admit that before, and of all people… Kari.
 
“Davis… I'm worried about you. I've been worrying about you everyday. This all being depressed isn't good for you, and its partially my fault.”
 
Davis shook his head. “No, Kari. It isn't.”
 
“Yes it is!” Kari snapped, Davis winced a little. “It's my fault that I flirted with TK just to make you jealous, when all this time, I should've told you something a long time ago.”
 
Davis raised an eyebrow. “Tell me what… exactly?”
 
Kari walked right up to him. “This.” and she brought her lips onto his. At first Davis was shocked, but unable to feel anything else at the moment other than this wonderful sensation and feeling he had been waiting for all his life… he closed his eyes and kissed her back.
 
When they finally separated, Davis had almost forgotten how to speak. He didn't know what to say or do, all he could do right now was feel his insides changing… from cold and dark… to warm and comforting.
 
“Kari…” he asked her softly as he gently creased her cheek with his hand. “You mean you…”
 
Kari nodded. “Yes.” she whispered. The smiled at each other and then Davis gently took her into his arms and they shared another soft embrace.
 
The others, who were standing behind the tress and bushes all along watching them, they couldn't help but “Aww…”
 
Nyaramon and Demi-Veemon even smiled at each other.
 
 
Next week
 
Another Friday after school, and all the students were gathered in the theater again for the announcing of the prizes. “Well, everyone… the votes are in, and once again the art of debating is full of surprises.” said the principal.
 
“In third place, we have… Fiddler on the goof.”
 
The crowd applauded, and the nerdy-kid who filmed the movie was given a third place trophy. While the bully, as extra punishment for his beating on the kid was sentenced to one month suspension.
 
“In second place…” the Principal announced. “Digimon, the musical.”
 
The crowd applauded even wilder as TK and his gang stood up. Davis even smiled at Kari, and she smiled at him back.
 
Since it was TK's movie, they all decided he was the one who deserved the trophy. At least they wouldn't have to fight over who got it, and when they got it.
 
“Way to go, TK.” Tokomon cooed.
 
TK smiled, “Well, thanks… but I couldn't have done without all your help.” He said to the others. Davis even shook his hand in congrats, despite the fact he had no help in the movie.
 
“And now… the moment of truth.” the Principal announced. A tenses drum roll began to play as spot lights danced all over the audience. “In first-place… the winner of the grand prize is…”
 
The audience all leant forward. Some of them sweated a little, and crossed their fingers as the principal pulled out the card from the envelope. Daisuke Motomiya… for the Alphabet of Despair.
 
The lights shone on a surprised Davis and the crowd cheered their loudest and wildest. Kari and Demi-Veemon hugged Davis tightly. Then Davis got up and walked down to the stage, slapping hands with everyone as he passed.
 
He accepted his first-place trophy, his award for creativity, and computer graphics… and his gift certificate. Then he stood up to the podium to say a few words.
 
“Thank you, everyone.” he said proudly. “We are all humans, and we all have feelings. Those feeling scan be hurt, and there are feelings held deep within each of us just waiting to be seen… but today I learned of something else…”
 
“That I have a newly-found gift to share with the world. I promise you all… this is the start of something totally new. From now on, there's a new Davis in town. Understanding, helpful, and caring.”
 
Everyone applauded wildly as Davis waved to everyone, however, eh took a moment to gaze up at where he was sitting before, and his eyes met Kari's. He could see her smiling at him, and he winked at her from all the way down at the stage.
 
He held his trophy up high for all to see.