Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ The Becoming ❯ Ch6 ( Chapter 6 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
DIGIMON: The Becoming

By Himitsu the Hunter







Chapter 6: Call Thrice its name and there it be, the Beast, the Beauty and the Demon Sea








Life was a funny thing, one minute you're having the time of your life and the next it's all gone, one minute everything has fallen apart around your ears and the next the very blocks that got pulled away... become the corner-stones of a new reality.


He was traveling, and had been doing so for hours on end, though to him it had seemed as days. Beside him strode the teal eyed dragon lady Yamidrawomon, who had long since seemed to have said her last words to him as they had left her sheltered enclosure to travel to the place where his friends were, Gear-town a place said to be the most peaceful gathering of digimon this side of the Digital world.



Takato moaned under the sweltering desert heat, briefly he wondered if there would be water anywhere to keep his strength up then dismissed the thought almost as quickly after all he had to be tough to survive in this place, anything less and one could well become dead in a hurry. Still, he thought as he glanced over to his companion, something nice and cold would hit the spot right about now...



"Tamer, are you thirsty?" her sudden question after hours of silence had startled him into a nervous stutter, "There is an oasis just over the horizon, I believe it would also be best if we made a resting spot there for the night. We will need shelter when the desert goes cold, and there won't be another area to shelter within reach before nightfall" Her bright eyes quickly darted about in search for some unnamable thing, then briefly her four wings fluttered in a seemingly annoyed gesture.



"Ummm, ok... Yami..." he finally managed to stammer. Takato was disturbed; Yamidrawomon's manner out here in the desert was a near 180 from the way she had before acted after his rescue and revival... it was as if she were a different mon to the somewhat abrasive but witty persona he had witnessed back in the cave before they had left. They had been talking for nearly an hour after their initial greeting as it had still been too dark and cold outside to move out as yet but it seemed as though the friendliness had evaporated the instant they stepped out into the dessert sun. She didn't seem to wish to say a word to him, much less look in his direction for most of the journey. And her eyes, the bright Golden-green orbs which had in the safety of the caves walls seemed so warm and inviting now seemed to radiate a wary, restrained killing edge. It was only prudence which had kept him so long at her side, for if he were to try to run he would have surely become lost... that is if she didn't simply follow and retrieve him quickly. Besides if she had truly had any malice toward him she would have simply either let the overgrown lizard eat him or hurt him herself... as it stood the only thing that she had so far done was to not talk to him and act differently.



Slowly they trudged on, the weight of hours and the heat of the sunlight taking toll on the two travelers. After near an hour of travel had passed something seemed to shimmer in the distance, its existence flickering in the desert heat. Yamidrawomon smiled sardonically. They neared the oasis. Now to figure out how to get the inhabitants to not kill her upon sight... a problem she would have usually solved by sneaking in the dark of the night... but with the human around... well she could only bank upon the good rep of the knights and hope for the best outcome. Isolated tribes of digimon like these tended to be insular in the extreme and more than willing to attack anything that was fairly powerful in mass, before trying to determine if it really is a threat. And unfortunately as a champion level she more than qualified as a challengeable threat. Idly she reflected on the situation. If it had been before... before the revelation of self she had experienced in the face of the reaper, then she would have simply waited till darkness came and snuck in, quietly raided the food and water stores then deleted and uploaded as many of the tribe as quietly possible for good measure. After all her skills lay in speed, power and self-taught stealth, a combination that had proven deadly to a large number of digimon in the past.



"Tamer... Takato... the oasis we are heading to is the home of a group of digimon," her head faced away from him so as not to show him anymore of what she was thinking, "it's the only place to shelter for miles but truth be told I'm not sure if we will be welcomed in. In fact it is very likely that we will be attacked the moment they spot us... truth is the only chance we have of getting in is you."



Takato watched her motions intently, trying to glean at least a glimmer of insight into the strange mon before him, "But wouldn't it be probable that they might try to kill and load me like that Tuskmon..."



Yamidrawomon shook her head but Takato was at a loss as to weather it was to disagree with him or herself, "There is a risk I grant you, but don't worry if it comes down to that I'll protect you."



After that there was nothing more said. It was to be another 3 or more hours before they reached the out skirts of the oasis. The place seemed to have nothing other than vegetable matter, but Yamidrawomon knew differently. Years of fighting for survival in the Southern lands told her strongly of the traces of inhabitation and the smell of their data lingered lightly in the air. They were biding their time watching and waiting, waiting to see what the two strange beings would do. Quietly she urged Takato forward, following at his side and waiting for the other shoe to drop. Soon it did so in the form of a single champion who stepped out of the trees to intercept their path.



"Halt, we do not welcome strangers here. Turn away and I will spare you, I do not wish this to come to a fight... but I will if you do not heed me," four red eyes blazed as the dark form spoke, "We will not be kind." Takato never even needed to check the display function on his D-power, this beast was none other than a Devi-dramon. Still vivid in his mind was the time which had first forced Guilmon's change into Growlmon and the snarling battle of dragons which had ensued.



Yami-drawomon seemed rather serene about this development and when finally she spoke her voice came out low and slow, "I mean no harm or disrespect but the human child here is in need of shelter for the night and water for the morrows travel."



The dragons lips lifted in a snarl, "We care not, you must leave or I will destroy you myself," he drew his gaze across them both, eyes all keeping sharp watch for even the hint of a false move against it.



"Then you would turn away our savior? You would turn away one of the knights companions?" she retorted sharply.



It simply shrugged, "It matters little, I do not see any of the knights nor do I trust you... I will not allow you near for even a chance to do harm of any kind to my people."



Yami's expression softened, the four eyed leather clad dragon had a point... letting her in was an unnecessary risk to the tribe's safety. One never knew what trouble even one traveler could bring, she had played her last trump card and it was not enough, "I see..."



Takato looked over to the dragon lady, her body language and posture seemed to scream defeat, obviously she had been hoping heavily that it wouldn't come to this. He bit his lip, sure something more would happen. Then with no warning she turned sharply away from him, exposing her back to assault.



"I will not bother you any longer, thank you for your time," inwardly she cursed, it would be difficult but if she begun soon then maybe she could hide the tamer then double back and 'borrow' some water and food. And she had been betting heavily upon the tamer getting them entrance too....



Turning completely around she spoke softly, "Tamer we shall take our leave. We need hurry if we are to keep you alive this night..." Takato bit his lip then taking one last glance at the inviting greens of the oasis turned about and trudged silently behind her, totally unsure of what to say.



"WAIT!" rang clear a voice from behind the green fronds, "they are to be our guests, I won't be turning away anyone who needs it," finally the speaker emerged from the cacophony of leaves. It was a Tyrannomon.


One of the demon dragon's eyes rolled into its direction, "you know well enough what happened the last time we invited strangers into our village."



The huge head of the Tyrannomon completed a graceful nod, "yes I do know, which is why we will take greater caution, but I refuse to think that I wouldn't be mon enough to do the right thing. After all if I was more prudent then you would not be here in the first place."



In response the dragon lowered its head in recognition of the point, "Fine, but if they misbehave I will delete them both load their data for good measure," it sprang from the ground then opened its tattered wings flying father in to the oasis.



"Friendly guy isn't he..." Takato whispered almost to himself.

"It is his way... human. He is very protective of this palace ever since we took him in as but a Demi-devimon," the large saurian beast grinned, "he is yet young and still takes himself far too seriously. The day will soon be night, so tell me your names travelers and I will show you to warmth."



"I am Yamidra-mon, and this is my human companion Takato. I must thank you greatly for I had doubts for my ability to keep my companion here safe and warm through-out the night," she bowed to him waist deep but, more out of habit than mistrust, all the while kept her gaze steady upon him. This he noticed and silently approved with a slight nod.



"Strange times are beginning to visit our world again I think," the Tyrannomon spoke as they approached the village, "The night and day no longer chase each other as they once did... now they make for a strange dance in the sky prolonging the moment of transition. I am told that it is this way in your world, human," the low rumble of his voice and the huge gentle eye turned back upon Takato's face spoke of invitation to converse. The youth nearly stumbled upon an upraised root in the densely vegetated area.



Takato nodded and offered a smile, "Yeah, that's the way it happens in the real world. We call the time after the sun is setting dusk and when it rises again dawn."



The Tyrannomon's head bobbed, but Takato was unsure whether that was due to movement or if it were an answer, "The same can be said of the inhabitants of this world as well, strange times. After the reaper came many begun to rethink the things they used to do and the ways they used to act. It's part of the reason why something like that place, Gear town, can exist now..."



For a moment the Saurian digimon froze and scented the air, "We are here," and as he spoke one thick arm reached out into the heavy vegetation before them, which lead away from the uneven trail they had been thus far following, "Welcome to our oasis."



The view was lovely. At least three dozen Gazimon and Agumon bustled a around the sturdy looking houses of the village. Strange combinations of vines and Palm trees shrouded the area and at the centre of the entire place lay a crystal blue pool of life giving water. All activities seem centered around that.



After letting go of the breath he had unconsciously drawn in, Takato was the first to speak, "Nice place you've got here," and followed it up with a nervous laugh.



******************************************











Kenta was stressed. He could almost scream at the nonsense his teacher was spouting all day, and now the exercise they had been given was giving him a headache. He sighed, through the window outside was looking more and more interesting, his heavy eyes drooping with that last blurry image of green trees and blue skies as he nodded off to find Marine-Angemon buzzing about happily about the scenery.



Ms. Asagii sighed, as usual most of her class was doing their own thing again and her stressed frown stayed in its usual place. It was apparent a few of the students she had long ago been saddled with were missing. It was an amazing thing to her to have the Tamers still under her care after all that had happened to them. She had never in her career felt the mix of emotions about her previous students that these brave youths had evoked. Awe, terror, respect, and loving pride were all mixed into the melting pot of her self and been stirred to a fevered result. She could still see the day of their departure into that unknown realm of monsters, the day that she broke down crying before them and their assurances that all would be alright, her job to do. She could still feel the tears tricking down her cheeks and the realization of what her charges truly meant to her. Of how utterly her life was devoted to their well being... and how much she felt that she had failed them for the need to risk their lives to be felt. It was only after the red blob called the reaper came did she full come to understand her children to be. And when it was all over the school board asked that she be the one to further handle homeroom and any of the subjects they took that she was qualified to teach from here on end.



Slightly the common frown faded from her face to be replaced with a slight smile, “Looks like I’m stuck with you all...” the smile quickly changed to a light scowl as she looked over Kenta again and sighed for business as usual. But something was off though. The new girl who had transferred in to join the rest of the tamers, Nonoka Rika, Matsuda Takato, and Kauto Jeri were all missing and Jeri almost never missed class. Briefly she wondered if something was wrong, but then she dismissed that thought as unworthy of farther consideration. On the other hand Kenta, still lost in his private dream world, snored in light happy breaths.


Hirokazu meanwhile glanced over his shoulder at his usual partner in crime and shook his spiky head. He was bored as hell and between the English assignment and the image of his best friend sleeping his cares away Kazu was also beginning to nod off into dreamland. But worry kept him from the same fate as Kenta had chosen. He and Takato had spoken the night before and in his opinion Goggles was totally out of it. Now he was missing and so were Rika and Jeri. Had something happened again leaving him and his counterpart friend out of the loop and last to know as usual? All this ran thru his mind as he sought amusement in the balancing of a pencil upon one finger.



But liberation was soon at hand and thought forsaken in the pursuit of food. As she emerged from her classroom, Ms. Asagii felt a tug at the back of her skirt and turned to see a beaming young girl there.



“Alright Mau what is it this time? Teachers need to eat too you know.”



The child simply smiled a little more, “They said to call you to the office Ms. Asagii.”



Ms. Asagii sighed and shooed the girl to lunch, “At this rate I won’t get any food before my next class,” She quickened her step hoping to get to the office and get away quickly.



But this plan of action was no to be. As Asagii entered the principal’s office she was greeted by the dour faces of the principal himself and an unknown woman dressed in a black business suit.



“Ahh... Ms. Asagii,” the principal spoke as he waved her in, then turned back to his guest “this is Ms. Asagii, the teacher of those young heroes of ours.”



The stranger stood and bowed deeply, “So you’re the teacher. You’d think they were describing a saint when they speak about you,” her smile was disarming.



“Well they never said anything about you.... What was your name again?” Ms. Asagii gazed at the lady and managed to look both crossed and pleased all at once. The other lady could barely guess about what.



“Oh, I’m sorry I didn’t give it yet,” The lady smiled almost shamefacedly, “I’m Ootori Reika head of personnel relations at Hypnos. It’s an honor to meet you Ms. Asagii. Takato has spoken at quite a length about you before.”



“Uhh... thank you... I guess...” Ms. Asagii was a little shell shocked, here was one of the people from the government that she had heard of, the ones who had worked along side of the tamers to bring to an end the threat of the rouge monsters and the giant red blob they called the D-Reaper.



“This is... rather... unexpected... I mean... are you here for the children? Some of them haven’t shown up to day and all...” it was then that she caught a glance of the fallen expression upon the government woman’s face, “did some thing happen...?”



Dam it... why do I have to be the barer of bad news, this job really bites sometimes, Reika thought to herself, unable to bring herself to meet Asagii’s eyes, “I’ve got a good lot of bad news... it seems Matsuda Takato didn’t make it home last night. We have our suspicions that he found his way into the digital world.”



Asagii’s eyes widened, it made sense that if he found a way he go without the slightest thought of hesitation... She had spoken to him several times and observed him even more since that fateful trip to that strange other world and the battles that had ensued. The heavy dependence upon the red saurian partner that he had often spoken of would have driven him too it in a heart beat.



“It gets worse, yesterday Kauto Jeri was admitted to the hospital after collapsing, then when she did awake she began screaming and convulsing... at exactly 2:13 am last night she disappeared from he room under mysterious conditions,” Reika let the words sink in briefly before bring the final blow to bare.



“Another one of your students, Nonoka Rika, who recently transferred here, fainted in the hospital ward and has since been in a coma,” slowly Reika exhaled watching the dump struck expression on the teacher’s face.



It took her a moment to gather her wits but after she had only one thing occurred to he to say, “Not that I don’t completely appreciate the fact that you’ve told me all of this face to face but... why? Why tell me? I’m no one special in the scheme of things here...”



Reika moved from her seat and strode over to the bewildered teacher then placed her own hand over Asagii’s, “It’s because you are close to them, because you care. Right now we need every bit of a show of support for them while this is going on. They know and trust you, so as an authority figure you can be of help in keeping them out of trouble while we wait... and we’ll need all the help we can get with that,”



Briefly Ms. Asagii nibbled her lip then nodded, “I guess that makes sense.”



Reika flashed a slight smile, “The others back at Hypnos are working on everything as we speak. Thus far we don’t know what has happened to Jeri or Takato... but we can provide support for the others when we do send them back over there,” seeing the teacher’s sour expression she added, “I don’t want them over there any more than you... but it’s the only way, and are our only real link to that place. It is necessary to all of humanity that they go...” then muttering to herself at the end, “or so I keep telling myself.”



After so long being ignored the principal finally spoke up, “Miss Ootori here has come to take you and the remaining Tamers to the main Hypnos HQ. But it is your choice whether you go or not.”



Reika then added, “We’ve already got the three youngest tamers at HQ, all we need now is your go... so... are you with us on this Ms. Asagii?”


“I don’t seem to have any other options Ms. Ootori...” The teacher’s voice seemed to crackle slightly, “The last time they left I couldn’t do a thing to help them... I want to try to make this time different.”


Reika again smiled gently, “Thank you, they’ll need all the support they can get,” her eyes then locked with Asagii’s, “Sometimes I just wish there was something I could do to take these burdens from their shoulders. They’re so very young. But then I ask myself... If I were them would I ever have the courage to handle myself so well? Honestly, I don’t believe I would.”


Asagii nodded gravely, knowing exactly what the government woman meant.


“Well then, since all is agreed upon let us collect the other children and be on our way back to Hypnos,” and with that the woman in black walked out of the office followed by the worried, thought filled visage of Ms. Asagii.


***************************************************






Eyes opened once more for the very first time. The lurking beast watched its barren environment through foreign senses. Gently it commanded the body, unto which it claimed, to rise and walk forth into the barren sandy waste and find sustenance for them both. Hunger filled its existence to the point of near pain and thus it urged its carrier body forth to feed its need to assimilate, to shape, and to destroy.


Jeri’s eyes opened to a place familiar yet alien to her, a barren desert stretching as far as her eyes could see and above that the far too familiar columns of the mammoth streams of data passing between worlds, this one and her own lost earth floating above all. A strange calm settled upon her, fear being replaced by a gentle caress of compassion. Then it came, a strange yet gently insistent need. It was all at once a silent command, a placid request and a ravaging hunger compelling her to her feet and pushing her of on a course to find something, anything to alleviate the dark hunger within.


For miles she traveled naked and alone, save for her driving necessity. Slowly she progressed across barren landscape following instinct alone, the low rumble of her stomach sounding protest at its current state and an ever growing itch from her sun burnt skin served as a constant reminder of her need to move on. She could think of nothing else.


The day drew on and still the body trudged, the all consuming hunger driving away its will and pushing it to extremes it would never normally try to endure. Slowly it became worried, though it could simply leave the body should it perish and seek nourishment on its own it refused to do so, but now the body was harming itself to provide for it... no that was not acceptable. It stretched forth its senses examining the world around it, searching for the closest usable data structure for repair of the battered body it then directed Jeri to a solid rock formation and bade her rest there. Once she had become sedate it began its work. Slowly it grew from its comfortable place beneath the body’s skin and stretched red gelatinous tendrils into the formation’s base. Soon it had spread itself thru the rock deleting key pieces to allow for assimilation of the rest. Soon it had gathered all the data that it needed and begun to retreat back into the safety of the body it inhabited. It would take time now to affect all the repairs and upgrades it wished to implement but the now hollow data structure of the rock formation would provide all the data needed to do so... all that was need no was to wait. Now it would be able to perfect the body, to better protect it. Self satisfied and lazily full it preened the now bright red hair of its host and placed the full effect of its emotional attachment into play, comforting and calming the body into deeper more restful sleep. Then with the care of a child holding to it mother, it wrapped the last of its extended tendrils about her and sunk fully back into its calm safe place beneath her skin.



An hour later a short child sized figure came across Jeri’s immobile and nude body. Quickly it signaled to others of its kind and after a few minutes of scurrying and confusion the figure was joined in lifting the exposed body up and setting of for home.



********************************************************************** **********************************************************************





Well now here is the next piece of the puzzle. Oh and note, I really do like Jeri... Its just I have a very large urge to ummm ‘ow du you say... Mess with the characters I love... Probably why I haven’t written anything Ranma yet... I think that kid already has more problems than should be allotted to any one human... Ah well adversity makes you stronger I guess... ~shrugs~
Well anyway as usual I thank all who have stood by and actually waited to see what new things I’ve written. Oh and if anyone is willing to be a prereader for the rest of the fic just tell me at Xicree@hotmail.com.





A long way to fall in the depths of the dead
Too far to crawl to the surface...
Show me the peace found in the halls of your head
And I’ll show you the end’s true purpose.
-Himitsu The Hunter