Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ The Becoming ❯ Ch1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer!!!! Disclaimer!!!! Disclaimer!!!! Disclaimer!!!! Disclaimer!!!!

The following work of fan-fiction will not earn a single penny for me and in fact the time spent writing it probably is sending up my electricity bill thus I plead with thou oh authorities on high… PLEASE DON'T SUE ME!!!!!!!

This has been a recording… thank you!

Digimon: The Becoming

By Himitsu the Hunter

Chapter 1: The gates beyond the reach of men, flung open wide again!

Darkness floated over head as the light of day finally faded away from the last vestiges of the mirage of sunset, its sweet tunes of nightlife singing forth their melodies in to the ears of the night... he felt so lonely in times like these.

Here amid this beautiful night he knew that Guilmon would of enjoyed he silently and tearlessly wept. Takato moped for a while long, sitting on a stone wall in the park thinking about his lost partner as well as all the times they had shared, all the joys, the sorrows, the laughter and the tears and sang his own lament in his heart for that which he was becoming less and less sure if he would have again... Guilmon, the child of his own grand-dreams. Dream which brought to him an excitement most sublime, the immortal trill of having a Digimon all his own, to care for love and be with, to call friend, closer than any-one else in existence... he missed that closeness.

A sudden thump to the back pulled Takato back from his reverie, "All right Chumly, why so glum, eh?"

Takato looked across his shoulder to the person who now sat upon the wall next to him forming a slight but melancholy smile as he spoke, "You know why Kazu... you feel it too."

Kazu sighed his spiky hair seeming to droop for a moment, "I know what ya mean..." his usual voice fled, to be replaced with a slightly trembling tone, "Things ain't been the same with-out Guardromon. I miss him and I miss his taking my orders too seriously and driving my mom up a wall... even she misses him," a sigh escaped from his lips, "sometimes I wonder, will they all come back, will they know us if we see them again... or will we be waiting forever for what was to begin with an impossible dream that's run outta steam."

Takato nods, his own head filled with the same questions and sorrows, "I understand... losing Guilmon was like a part of me was taken away... the best part."

Kazu smiled slightly, though it didn't quite reach his eyes as usual, "I came over to cheer ya up start to get depressed myself..." once more he sighed.

"I'm sorry..." Takato murmured his reply.

His friend frowned, a worried look painted across his face, "The rest are worried about you ya know," then in an instant it changed to its usual cocksure demeanor, "Rika practically begged me go try ta cheer you up, and of course me being my gallant self couldn't let down such a fair lady... especially one that could kick my arse in a second!" his grin was infectious and Takato couldn't help but smile at his friends choice of statements, he knew personally that the day Rika "begged" for anything was the day the sun would cease to rise.

Takato head swung slowly back to watch the moon as it continued its steady climb into the night sky, "Thanks, I needed a smile."

Kazu's face shifted back into the worried look, when Takato glanced at it he could not help but feel uneasy at how unnatural it seemed there," I've been talking to Mr. Yamaki," this caught Takato's interested ear, "He says that the signals from the digital world a becoming more stable... but that they don't seem to be getting any where near the stability they were when the digimon first started to Bio-emerge and that there ain't no way to tell if the flux is a signal that the gateways will return, says that for all we know the D-reaper and the Juggernaut might have destroyed that possibility of the gates reemergence..." this thought left a sour taste in Takato's mouth, then in a more optimistic tone Kazu continued, "Or I could be that the paths might need key Digimon, like that Sovereigns, to all return to a state where they are powerful enough for their presence to get the gates open, maybe their just taking their time kicking butt until they return to mega... I'd rather that than the other one," Kazu sighed, "I hope they finish their butt kicking soon, I miss Guardromon."

Takato nodded sympathetically and voiced, "Guilmon must be roaming somewhere out there, looking for some bread and peanut butter..." he sighed once more, a single tear trickling down his cheek gleaming in the park lights as the rarely seen look of regretful sorrow took itself out upon the young boy's gentle face.

Kazu watched him for a few seconds; his own heart filled with the same emotions, as he though about the time the Digimon had become a part of his life, he had thought and hoped permanently, then looked up to the beauty of the newly rising moon as if searching for answers to his hearts desires.

It had been nearly two years since the D-Reaper had been destroyed and since that time the tamers had all been waiting. But life had not come to a stand still as each of the tamers respective parents had pointed out, all that was left to do was to wait, prepare and forge on with the metal life handed. That did not sit well with Rika, but with nothing she could do about it she had eventually been forced to concede. It made the blow emotionally easier when her mother decided to send her to the same school as the other tamers as it would do her the most good to be close to the friends who had fought by her side, those who could share in her agony, and in her hopes. After all it was better to do this than to watch her retreat into her shell again. But that seemed unlikely as she seemed a happier person than before.

On the other hand there was Jeri who kept up a cheerful front around the other since the D-Reaper had been destroyed. But her thoughts were dark with worries and regrets, which still existed although she had found it with in her to carry on, mostly in order to resist the D-Reaper's pestilence and to stop giving it the power it had craved, to stop being so weak and giving the Reaper sustenance by being of a kindred sprit to it... and to once more be as Leomon said; to have a lion's heart. She held this as her promise to Leomon's memory, but that did not stop the dreams of dark endlessness, memories of her hearts betrayal, of her failure and what it cost, as well as what it could have cost, the inner torment of her dreams made this clear. But no one else knew of the extent to which the struggle within could be.

Also Henry and Suzy, who had always been the closest of the siblings in their family, becoming far more so after they had been chosen, and consoled each other over the hopefully temporary loss of their respective partners. It had been tough but as time went along they would talk, some times all night, about the partners they had both parted ways with. It had become a common occurrence to find the two of them asleep next to each other. A friendship built between them that over shadowed the profoundness of loss as they continued on in trust that those who they had lost would return. But of late Henry too had been becoming more distanced from his best friend, and not of his own volition either.

But recently feeling of unease had become fixed in their collective psyche... some thing big was coming their way... and it felt as if the time of reunion was being held from being at hand, as if they should have long been reunited... and this feeling made them edgy with fear, the fear of never seeing the continuance of the Digital world again. And it had already begun to gnaw away at their respective insides...

Takato finally spoke again, "Hey Kazu..."

"Yeah Takato?" was his reply

"Thanks..." Takato said simply.

"For what?" Spoke Kazu in slight confusion.

"For trying to cheer me up... and for being my friend," Takato replied

Kazu's usual smug grin crept unto his face, "No prob Chumly, what 're best friends for?"

Kazu then jumped down from his perch next to Takato then started off, "later Chumly, I got ta get home or Mom'll freak," He said before slipping of into the night, and just before he left in a solemn voice he spoke, "and don't pull away, Takato, we need you."

Takato only smiled, "Thanks..."

It seemed like hours as Takato continued to sit upon that wall and think of that which was so very dear to him, watching the moon traverse across the night sky. Funny, he thought to himself, I never thought that it would hurt so bad.

***

And far away another world turned, its cycle of rebirth brought to a head. It's motions traveled ere closer to its matron realm, to once more share its children with those of its mother realm. If emotions could truly apply it could be called boiling with impatient glee, as its core programming sought to continue its function once more in this quadrant in which some of it was born from the minds of the human race.

Its birth the coincidence of four worlds converging on a single idea that spanned dimensions and from there was made into something that took on a life of its own. In truth with out its links to all four worlds it would perish as it ran out of life energy to support itself and its children. The Digimon reflected the four human worlds and the minds within which contributed to its existence on many levels. This included having adopted a habit of creating things of human myth as the basis for its design protocols of the inhabitants of this world. Its main processing existed outside of the four physical manifestations of its entire "self" the four quadrants of the digital world and to protect these quadrants were created the four sovereigns to reign as equal over the four worlds. But it didn't stop there, then proceeded to balance itself as it allowed destructive command protocols to be activated in its physical portions as part of its core programming screamed to it to learn, grow and advance and as on of the ways it sought to achieve this was to create natural competition between the various entities. Yet another directive was to seek companionship. This need to improve given to its children over-lapped with the other equally important but far less reinforced need which many of the Digimon found themselves feeling for the companionship of the race which sired them.

Now it was time, the reconnection to the southern quadrant earth would be completed in 5... 4... 3... 2... 1...

***

Takato had since abandoned his park perch and had begun his usual trudge home, once more passing the place in which he had spent many good times with his Mon and as was his ritual he took walked into the area where he first had seen the digital field which brought Guilmon to him and stared at the spot.

"*Sigh* I feel so useless... Guilmon's stuck and I can't be there for him, I don't know what's worse... sending him into battle where I have to worry about him getting hurt, or this waiting... and not knowing..." his voice trailed off into the silent night and tears clung to the insides of his eyelids. "I can't feel you partner, and it feels like I've lost a limb and I don't know what to do with out you buddy," unable to hold back the torrent and longer, the tears trickled unrestrained then he turned his back to leave this till another day. But this was not to be; for from behind himself he heard a dull mechanical whine and turned to see it. A light unfolding itself into a shape he would always remember... a digital gate

Takato's expression morphed into one of mixed surprise and a anticipation as a single word echoed through-out hid mind and forced its way to his breathless lips, "...Guilmon..."

*******************

Well there it is… my first chapter of my first fanfic… If you like it you can shout me out on the reviews… Oh and any one who has extensive knowledge of the final episodes of season 3 and knows where there is a good episode guide please do tell, it will help immensely!