Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ The Becoming ❯ ch3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
DIGIMON: The Becoming
By Himitsu the Hunter





Chapter 3: The encroaching dragons dark embrace





Rika was worried. Goggle-head had failed to show up for yet another Martial arts class... it was getting worse every day. He was growing more distant from the rest and this was starting to put a strain on the group as a whole. She had even gone as far as to threaten Kazu into looking for him this time... A job she believed that she would be able to better achieve if the fact of her having a prior engagement elsewhere had not been a factor.

Her nose twitched as her usual indignant scowl formed its graces upon her face, the cold half sneer which warned the wary that getting in her way in any form would not be very healthy. For Rika the world had always be divided by the split of her 2 conflicting images; the self which she showed to all, a burning bright and recklessly dangerous light, a short fuse stuck to a megaton of explosives... in short the dangerous one.

Then there is the other, one brought out with only those closest to her, a precious gift to those chosen to receive it, for beneath the abrasive manner and rugged clothes lay a vulnerability which ached for the comforts of companionship but denying it as a potential weakness. To appear or become weak was not, in her thinking, an option. But all that changed with the coming of her digital companion Renamon, for without knowing it Renamon had been the first one to fill that void with her very presence, the sense that no matter what she was no longer alone. That unspoken pact between them which bound the fire to the shadows beneath moonlight, the two of them so alike yet so different. Renamon being the calm reserve to Rika's roaring anger. The duo of maiden warriors, understanding the drives and motives of each other to the point of perfect union. And as such, she finally was able to bare her soul to another with out fear of reproach, of weakness... complete trust. That was for Rika the most difficult thing to achieve... and since then there had been few that knew her, and that she knew, well enough to extend this courtesy of trust to; Jeri, Henry... Takato. That goggle headed fool who had wormed his way into her heart as a friend closer than any other save her partner. One who could be allowed to share the secrets of her existence, in many ways just as innocent and trusting as his own digital companion though yet at other times they were warriors at heart, for both he and said partner would fight to gain what they believed in, just as Knights were liable to do.

The street was a lonely place to walk since... that time. The time when dreams were realities and the impossible beasts of myth and imagination roamed... so very lonely... life was then as full as it was now empty. It was cold. She wished Renamon would come back to warm her... lonely ghosts in the night. She felt the wind whip past her sullen trod to find those who understood the experience of the loneliness that plagued her... In some ways, she thought to herself briefly... bitterly, Jeri had it easier than the rest of us, a sigh punctuating the pause, at least she knew that it really was over... at least she knew that she could set Leomon's ghost to rest... she shook her head as if to shake away the thought, dismissing it as selfish... but she just could not shake away the fact that she had felt it. She felt it grow colder and shivered, but there was no wind, nothing to cause this. This was a blazing icy cold she felt consume as it claimed her in its depths... she hated the feeling though she knew it well, the ache of true loneliness as she had so felt before Renamon's coming, she longed to be with company... even that brash idiot Ryo would make the ice flow away.

Sighing once more she continued on in a straight line not realizing it when her stride took her into the path of another, one whose busy gait had too been far too preoccupied to notice until... * wham *, their heads slammed together then they both fell to the hard paved floor.

"Ouch..." groaned the person with whom Rika had collided, their stocking like cap falling forward over the face, obscuring it from view.

Rika looked up and growled menacingly, "Watch where your going idiot!!!"

Upon hearing this the figure lifted the cap an looked directly at the raging face before him, and smirked, "Well Nanoka-san, what a pleasant surprise! Imagine meeting you here of all places, or times," his voice giving away his amusement at the situation.

Rika's angry scowl increased ten fold as she thought to her self, Speak of the devil and he will come... 'specially to annoy you straight to hell,
"...Ryo..." she said in a manner which conveyed that she was wondering what she had done in her past life to deserve this torment.

And to this he simply smiled at the obvious irritation he caused her, even after what had happened at the Reaper's pit. He winced, the thought reminding him of why he had been so blind in his movement.

Rika watched as Ryo's face dropped from its cocky grin and sank into a grimace of bitter anxiety; it seemed ill fitting on him. "What's wrong Akima, you look like you swallowed a lemon..." her tone, despite her words, telling of her concern.

"...Its Jeri..." eyes cast to ground, struggling with conflicts of worry and fear, the dark emotions which his aloof manor was designed to keep out, leaking through, "Her brother called me about 10 minutes ago... Jeri collapsed about 2 or so hours ago and she was convulsing... he said that he tried Takato and you first but you weren't home..." his voice trailed off.

Rika's eyes locked to his, the horror evident, and in trying to summon up enough feeling to speak... shock induced numbness coursing through her, "...do they know what it was...?" the fearful creep of emotion crawling across her voice.

Ryo simply shook his head, "I don't know... he didn't tell me..." he sighed, "All he said was that I was the only of Jeri's friends that he was able to contact," it was evident on his face how much he cared, as the out-cast of the group Jeri had been quick to make friends with him, he had truly needed it. For near 2 years he had been forced to live in the digital world, a wonderer, his only companionship his digimon partner, a beast who at times he didn't even know him... now gone. To the others he was seen as many things, a survivor, a rival, a pinnacle to achieve, but the only thing that he was never to any of them but her... vulnerable, lonely. Jeri by her very nature saw through his facades, straight into the lonely depths of his heart, and with the offer of her kindness pulled him from the very depths of the slow mire of despair.

He could never forget the day that she came over and offered to sit near him during that one lunch break when he had come from home after yet another argument with his father, in which he tried to defend his partner's memory from the onslaught of slander from his father's mouth, the effort leaving him far more drained emotionally than he had allowed himself to feel in a long time. Her offer of friendship had been salve to his scarred psyche and from that day forward he had found in her a confidant and shoulder on which to lean, it scared him to think that any more harm should come to her than what the world had already transpired to bring...

"I'll go with you..." Ryo looked up from the floor at which he had been staring straight into her face, which wore a most unusual expression, one of compassion... mingled with bone cold fear, "She should be reminded that she isn't alone..."

Ryo simply nodded and the both started off, at his original pace, to the place where Jeri lay.

* * *



The world swam in his newly opened vision. Groggily and unsteadily he tried to pull him-self up from his previous position all the while wondering why he wasn't dead, his stomach lurched with motion sickness.

"Easy tamer, you were unconscious for near an hour now," a voice came from above his wounded head, causing him to jump slightly and his stomach to further tell him that his motion was too quick. The voice had been soothing and soft though utterly unfamiliar to him, but even so he did not like the fact that he was at its owners mercy.

Once more his stomach lurched, the musty old sent of a long enclosed space assaulted his battered senses, "Where am I...?" he asked, his orientation steadily improving.

"You're in a cave," the voice told him frankly, it seemed to have chuckled slightly beneath its breath.

Finally Takato felt confident enough to open his eyes, and the first sight they took in was the visage of a woman... a woman with four black leather wings, red claws on her fingers and the exposed tips of her toes, short cropped silver white hair with a lock of teal which fell before slitted, golden green eyes, a long whip-like reptilian tail and midnight obsidian skin. She wore what seemed to be a mummy like wrapping of gray black leather which was wound about all of her save her head and stomach area, even around her hands except for the fingers, and over the wrap she wore a short, silver and black jacket along side of a lopsided smile. Takato quickly grew rather embarrassed by the "clothing" worn by this exotic lady before him... defiantly a digimon.

"Hang your jaw kid. You're about to start drooling," the smirk she wore would have been impossible not to feel... even if he still couldn't see her.

Catching himself he promptly moved his gaze away and asked, "Ok... lets try this again... who are you?"

"I'm the one who pulled your behind from out of the fire, human. You're lucky that I was out stretching my wings." The piercing gaze of her lavender eyes caught him.

Realizing that he had not yet thanked her for his continued breathing he spoke sheepishly, "I'm sorry... I shouldn't have been so rude. But can you please tell me where I am and what do you want with me?"

She smiled, "Ahh yes there you go, the fabled magic word... alas I thought it to be a long lost secret..." her eyes locked to his, the mirth never leaving her voice, "we're in the south sector digital world, Sub-folder continent, 0934 sector desert. Somewhere around 8 megs from Gear-town, that's the largest concentration of digimon not all trying to kill each other anywhere in south sector."

"......." Takato's eyes wide trying to absorb the foreign information, "uhh... ok..."

Her smirk seemed to grow in size, "It's a city that started off as a small town until around little more than a year ago year ago. That's when the Revered-ones entered and set-up shop there, because of that the city is a metropolis... no on makes trouble there... cause no one wants to mess with the ones who took on the Reaper in the human world."

Takato blinked, "Is there a digimon named Guilmon among them?" unable to disguise the hope in his voice.

She smiled again, obviously amused by his question, "Yes there is. And the Renamon and Terriormon to. The Three knights, or so they are called." For a moment the smile fell and an unreadable expression entered, but was quickly replaced by its original smirk, "Now that I've answered your questions tell me, which of the humans were you in the fight against the reaper?"

"Umm, me?" he was slightly surprised at this question, didn't most of the digital world already know? He spoke, "My name is Takato. I am... was... Gallantmon. Guilmon is my partner after all..."

Though the expression on her face was still of that insufferable smirk, he could feel something else... a question waiting to spill forth from her lips... but he also felt her bite it back in favor of an ongoing silence.

"Umm... if that's all, can I leave?" he asked. It was not that he wasn't grateful to have survived the Tuskmon but her manner made him extremely nervous, and he knew it would be foolish to assume good intentions from this short bit of interaction... but seeing that she was a digimon and he a mere human... well he knew exactly how that would add up.

She seemed to jump at this, as if she had momentarily forgotten her guest, "I suppose... but you know there's a lot of ways you could get yourself deleted on the way there..." to him this seemed to imply a threat, and all he could do is inch backward and sweat bullets, "that's why I'll be taking you there myself."

His expression changed almost instantly to one of relief, "You will? I didn't think I'd have an escort to find the others..."

She smiled gently, "No worries, Knight. I'll bear you to your castle," then turned to the cave entrance and started to walk out, motioning for him to follow, which he did almost immediately. "Oh and Takato, you asked me my name. I'm called Yamidrawomon, but if you wish just call me Yami, its shorter anyway." With that she and he departed.

***

Within the confines of the Gear-Town mansion two eyes opened wider that they had in almost 2 years, its head lifted from the confines of sleep in joyful realization. The breath of the crimson beast, too low for any to hear, the single word, which to him meant hope realized, reverently whispered, "Takatomon!"

***