Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ The Betrayal ❯ Chapter 2

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Beelzemon slowly opened his eyes. He was startled to see that he was in a small room that was completely white and smelled of disinfectant. There was a small table beside where he was lying and on the other side of the bed, Valeri was sitting in a chair with her head bowed, her shirt was drenched in dried blood as were her pants. “Val?”
Valeri looked up. “Hmm?” She smiled wearily.
Beelzemon could see exhaustion and relief etched on her weary features. She had darkened circles under her eyes. “How long have I been out?”
“Almost two days.”
Beelzemon’s jaw dropped. He put his hand over his face. “So, what day is it?”
“Monday.”
“Monday? But that means tamorrow yer gonna leave fer college.”
Valeri shook her head. “I’m not going.”
“What?”
“I’m not going,” Valeri repeated quietly. “Not until you’re better.”
“But you gotta go. You’ve been talkin’ about it for almost a month now, besides you already got everythin’ and I’m fine.”
Valeri gave him a withering look. “No. I’m going to stay.”
Beelzemon reached out and placed his hand on her cheek. “I want you to go. I don’t want to be the reason for you to stay.”
“But Beelzemon-”
“Shh, no buts. Yer goin’ tamarrow if I have ta drag ya there myself.”
Valeri smiled weakly. “Alright. If you really want me to, I guess I will. But I’ll keep in touch.”
“I know. Why do you think I got ya to teach me how to use yer old laptop?”
“Speaking of that, I asked Mom to bring some things here to keep you occupied. The doctor said you had to stay in the hospital for awhile.”
“Great,” Beelzemon muttered, rolling his eyes skyward. “And I thought it was bad enough I had ta stay in the hospital with you before!”
“I know. But you’ll be able to return home soon.”
“How bad was it?”
Valeri gave him a quizzical look. “Huh?”
“How bad was I hurt?”
“Well…you had thirty or more holes in you and burns. Therefore, you have stitches and bandages. My advice is not to move too much, it’ll hurt less. The doctor will be coming in shortly to check up on you and give you some pain pills. Since they haven’t gotten any anesthetics at the moment.”
“So, how long have you been here?”
“Since you got here. I’ve been worried terribly. If Michael and the others hadn’t shown up when they did...then you’d….” Valeri bit her lip and dropped her gaze.
“No, no I wouldn’t.” Beelzemon said firmly, as he tried to prop himself up. The pain was too intense and he fell against his pillows, a muffled agonized groan escaping his lips.
“Beelzemon, are you alright?” Valeri asked in concern, looked up at him worriedly.
“I’m alright.” He drew in a long shaky and painful breath. He gave her a forced smile, hoping to calm her a bit.
“See, this is why I wanted to stay.” Beelzemon sighed. “I know, but you gotta go.”
Valeri sighed. “I really am going to miss you.”
“I am too.”
Valeri bent down and gave him a small kiss.
Beelzemon smiled. “Ya know what sucks?” “What?” Valeri asked as she sat down beside him.
“Those bastards messed up my tattoo.”
Valeri giggled weakly. “Oh, Beelzemon. Silly thing.”
Beelzemon chuckled weakly then coughed hoarsely. “Ow.”
“Oh, love, are you Ok?”
“I’ll be Ok. Hope that doc gets in here with those pills.”
No sooner did he say this than the doctor, which happened to be the one Valeri once had when she came to the hospital two years ago after the incident at the Digital World.
“Well, hello. I see you’re awake,” the doctor said with a wavering smile as she walked over to the bed.
“Yeah and in a hell of a lotta pain!”
The doctor cringed at his tone. “U-um, well. I-I have some pills for you to take.” She held the small plastic cup out to him.
Beelzemon reached up and took the cup from her. He looked down at the two small white pills, then he glanced up at her out of the corner of his eyes. “Got any water? Or maybe beer?”
“You’re not allowed to have alcohol with the medication. But I can get you some water.” the doctor said, turning to leave.
Beelzemon snorted. “Shoot. And I was hoping ta finally get some booze.” He folded his arms sulkily, slumping down.
“Aww,” Valeri cooed, giggling softly. “Poor, Beelzemon doesn’t get his booze. I’m sure you’ll get some when you get out of here.” She leaned forward and very gently rested her head on his collarbone, trying to keep from touching his bandaged chest and stomach as she stretched herself out beside him.
Beelzemon brushed his palm across her cheek.
Valeri closed her eyes and smiled.
“I’m really glad you’re here, Val. I don’t know what I’d do without ya.”
“Me either, except that I’d be very lonely.”
“I don’t want you to be lonely or sad.” Beelzemon said, resting his cheek against her hair.
“I don’t want you to be either.”
Beelzemon began to run his claws through her hair.
Just then, the doctor returned with a bottle of water, Yuri, Ms. Shinshiju, and Xian. The two younger ones had two plastic bags apiece while Ms. Shinshiju had two paper bags.
Valeri sat up quickly.
“Hi guys. I brought lunch since I thought you two would be hungry.”
“Yes! I’m starving!” Beelzemon grinned. He tried to sit up, but was rewarded with searing pain. “Arrg! God f-mmph!” He bit his bottom lip to keep from finishing the nasty curse.
“Beelzemon?!” Valeri cried, placing her hands on his arm.
“I’m alright.” Beelzemon grimaced.
Ms. Shinshiju and the doctor rushed over.
“Oh, my. You’d better take those pills.”
Beelzemon nodded weakly. “Yeah, ya think?”
“I’m not surprised by how much pain he’s in. The wounds that were inflicted upon him were very severe. I’m surprised he’s even alive. We were barely able to take those blades from his chest, they were stuck tight and deep.”
“Yeah, ‘cause that damn Spinomon stamped on me! Hehe, he got his own foot though!” Beelzemon grinned slightly.
Valeri smiled weakly. “Well, we don’t have to worry about them anymore. You can just work on getting better, alright?”
“Like I told ya before, Val. Digimon heal fast. I’ll probably be just fine in a couple days. This is the worst I’ve ever been hurt before, but it’s alright.” As Beelzemon spoke, he took the pills and a sip of water.
“Honey,” Ms. Shinshiju said, turning to her daughter. “You really should get changed. You’ve been in that outfit for almost two days now. It is quite dry and Beelzemon is just fine. No need to stay in here all the time now,” She set the bags on the bed. “You’re sister has some of your clothes.”
Valeri sighed. “Alright.” She stood up and walked over to Yuri, who handed her one of the bags, then walked out of the room.
“So,” Beelzemon said when she left. “She stayed in here for two days watching over me?”
“Yes,” the doctor replied. ‘She didn’t go to sleep once. She was too afraid to. Too afraid that something would happen if she so much as left the room,” the doctor explained. “She refused to leave when I asked. So I let her stay. ‘Cause if you think I’m going to fight with a twenty year old, you got another thing coming.”
“She said she’s going to college tamorrow. I made sure of it.”
Ms. Shinshiju looked at him with surprise. “You did? Why?”
“‘Cause. She needs to go. I don’t want to be the reason why she delays what she’s been wantin’ ta do for awhile. So I talked her inta goin’.”
Ms. Shinshiju smiled. “That was nice of you. When you leave the hospital, then we can fix you up at home. Then maybe you could drop by the college for a surprise visit? I think both of you would like that.”
“That sounds good.” Beelzemon clenched his teeth as he slowly sat upright.
A few minutes later Valeri returned. She was wearing a clean black t-shirt and faded out denim jeans. She walked over and sat down beside Beelzemon. “So, what do we have here to eat?”
Beelzemon shrugged. “Dunno.”
“I bought take out.” Ms. Shinshiju replied.
“Oh, that sounds good.” Valeri said as she opened the bags, took out white foam containers, and set them on the bed. She handed one of them to Beelzemon then opened the other.
The two started wolfing down the food. Valeri tried as hard as she could to act dignified.
Ms. Shinshiju smiled and chuckled. “Looks like I was right. Well, I got the things you asked for. I’ll be coming back tomorrow to pick you up so you can get your stuff and leave for college.”
“Alright, bye Mom.” Valeri said as soon as she swallowed a mouthful of Lo Mien noodles.
“Bye.”
Everyone walked out of the room, leaving the two to eat.
After they finished, Valeri set the laptop up on the table beside Beelzemon’s bed.
“So, you remember how to use it?” “Yes. You taught me, remember?”
Valeri smiled. “I know. Just wanted to double check.”
Beelzemon grinned slightly. He sighed. “Can’t wait ta get out of here.”
“I know, beloved. But you can’t leave yet.”
“I know. No fair.”
Valeri lay down on her back and stared up at the ceiling.
Beelzemon looked over at her. He watched as her eyes closed and she breathed a sigh. “Val, ya goin’ ta sleep on me?” he asked after a moment.
“My eyes hurt, that’s all.” Valeri replied in a murmur.
Beelzemon knew in other words that she meant yes. He smiled and rested his head against her shoulder. Oh, well. She needs to rest. Being up for nearly two days, waiting for me to wake up. I knew I chose well when I fell for her. He sighed contentedly and slipped his hand in hers.
Valeri opened her eyes and looked at him, a small smile spreading across her face. She tightened her grip on his hand. “You weren’t kidding when you said that you’d never leave me, were you?”
Beelzemon blinked in surprise. “Of course not! Val, I love you. I know I hurt you before but I’m trying to make up for it. I really am.”
Valeri flipped onto her side and put her hand on his cheek. “I know you are. You’re trying very hard.”
Beelzemon sighed. “I still hate myself for what I did to ya.”
“I know, but like you said, you couldn’t control yourself. But I was so afraid that you were going to leave me like you said, you were so ashamed. I’m glad you didn’t, though. I don’t know what I’d do without you.”
“Me either.”
Valeri closed her eyes and sighed. “I’m a bit nervous about going to college. I’m afraid I won’t make any friends and be left out again, like when I was in high school.”
“Of course you won’t! You’re gonna make friends.” Beelzemon said reassuringly.
“I hope so. That’s one of the things that worry me.” Valeri muttered, snuggling up against him.
“You’re gonna do great, sweetheart.”
“Hmmm….” Valeri mumbled sleepily.
Beelzemon coughed as Valeri accidentally put some of her weight on his chest. He pushed her off slightly to relieve himself of some of the excess weight. Then he covered her up with the sheet and dropped off to sleep.
The next day Ms. Shinshiju dropped by to pick Valeri up along with her stuff. Valeri and Beelzemon exchanged goodbye kisses and last minute reassurance.
“Don’t worry, Val. It’s gonna be alright. C’ya sometime soon.”
“Bye, love. Take it easy, don’t push yourself alright?” Valeri said as she walked towards the door.
“I won’t. You shouldn’t either. Bye!”
“Love you!” Valeri said as she walked out of the room, closing the door behind her.
Beelzemon’s smile faded and he sighed. Now, time for the loneliness ta set in. He picked up the laptop and set it on his leg. Lemme see here. What did she say about this thing? She said she had some games on here. He put his chin in his hand as he figured out how to play one of the games.