Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ The Dark Slayers ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
"Have you ever heard of The Dark Slayers?"

Takaishi Takeru looked up at his Captain who had apparently appeared out of nowhere. "Uh. . . .yeah" he said.

"Good," Gennai nodded. "Come with me."

"But I just got back from my holiday!" Takeru protested. "I have a lot of paperwork to catch up with and. . ."

Without hesitation Gennai scooped up the bundle and dumped it on the desk next to Takeru's. "There we go. Now to my office!"

Takeru offered an apologetic smile to the officer who grimaced at the added workload before following Gennai into his office. "So what was so important?"

"What do you know about The Dark Slayers, Takeru?" he asked, sitting down.

The younger officer shrugged. "About as much as the next person really. They're a long, upstanding crime family that nobody is dumb enough to mess with."

"Is that it?" he inquired leaning forward.

"Yup."

"I've been waiting for your return," Gennai said. "Because I knew you would be perfect for this assignment."

"Oh really?"

"Do you have any idea who this is?" He slid over an opened, white manila folder.

Takeru stared blankly at the photograph pinned to the first page. "No."

"That's Yagami Susumu as in the Yagami Susumu, head of The Dark Slayers Yagami Susumu." Gennai then paused and when Takeru didn't comment she continued. "About 2 months ago, the entire elite branch of the family including Susumu and his wife Yuuko, were assassinated. Did you hear about that?"

Takeru shrugged indifferently growing up here, there was only one thing every kid was taught 'You don't bother The Dark Slayers and they won't bother you.' It was the Golden Rule that even the police followed. "Yeah, so the next in line will just take over."

"Exactly! The successor would have been his remaining living daughter Yagami Hikari. However it seems Hikari is not worthy of being a Crime Lord. Besides, her so called 'long lost brother', Yagami Taichi had recently appeared after being lost for almost 15 years. He took over the family and that is our problem."

"Taichi. . . .?" The name almost stuck out in Takeru's mind. It was familiar to him, yet he couldn't place his finger on it.

Gennai nodded grimly, "He's only 23, but unlike his father, Taichi has the reputation of a stubborn bastard. But he is overprotective over his sister."

"So what does this have to do with me?" Takeru instantly regretted asking the question when he saw the glint in Gennai's eyes.

"I'm not putting any pressureon you but if you do accept this assignment you will immediately be promoted to Corporal and if you succeed who knows, you might make Sergeant." He smiled evily.

"What assignment?"

Gennai looked quite pleased with himself as he strolled up to the provided computer and projector. "Now this is a very important project and all present are sworn secrecy," Takeru was about to point out that he hadn't sworn anything when she added, "otherwise Takeru's cover may be blown and as a result he may die a horribly painful death."

Takeru nodded in agreement and was about to shake a finger at them until Gennai caught sight of his movement. "Sorry," he apologized.

Gennai typed a few things on his computer and turned on the projector. "This" he began when a strangely angled photograph of 5 men appeared on the screen, "is the new 'Top Branch', the next generation of young criminals." He sighed, "The one in the middle is Yagami Taichi, son to Susumu." Takeru looked at the face of a man a bit older than he was. "We all know who he is and where he stands."

Gennai clicked and the projector zoomed in on the figure to the right of Taichi, talking on a cell phone. "This is Izumi Koushiro he is a technological wizard and is Taichi's formal advisor. His parents were killed in an accident a year after he was born. Been with the Yagami's ever since."

Gennai clicked twice and the projector focused on the man to Taichi's left. "Kido Jyou. He was Taichi's personal doctor and assistant. Just recently joined the family." Gennai clicked once and focused in on the man to Taichi's far right. "That's Ichijouji Ken. Almost your age, probably a bit older. A super genius and skilled assassin. He was quite popular with the ladies, until he joined The Dark Slayers a few years ago."

Takeru noted that this Ken didn't particularly look like a genius.

Gennai clicked again and it was zoomed in on the man to Taichi's far left. "Ishida Yamato. . .former Sergeant on this police force."

There were murmurs of recognition. Takeru had a slight glare at the picture. He definetly knew this guy.

"Ishida Yamato, was Susumu's personal bodyguard/assassin. Still kept his job, but only to Taichi." Gennai then paused noticing Takeru's sudden silence. He also knew what was going on. "Yamato is said to kill his family 10 years ago and later joined our police force. 2 years later, he left and joined The Dark Slayers."

Takeru had grim look. Matt, how could you? You killed mother and father but only spared me knowing that you couldn't hurt me.

"Its those people you should be wary of, Takeru," Gennai warned. With a final click, the photo changed to that of a young girl with her head slightly bowed hugging a few books to her chest. "Now Takeru, this is your way in." Takeru was lost in his own world at first glance of the photo. "Yagami Hikari."

-










< br>