Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Twelve Angry People ❯ Room for doubt ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CHAPTER FIVE
 
Mimi got up from her seat and wandered over the closet to get her purse. “Say… does anyone else want a breath-mint?” she asked.
 
Davis and Yolei raised their hands. “Davis… I still don't see how anyone can think the boy isn't guilty.” Yolei said. “He still did say “I'm going to kill you” didn't he?”
 
“Well I think we already proved that old-man didn't hear the phrase properly.” Davis said as he chewed on the breath-mint. “But… even if he had… it's a simple phrase, and people have used it thousands of times. Heck I used to say that Jun a lot of times when we were young and arguing and she said she'd kill me. Now, does that really mean we're really going to kill someone?”
 
“Oh, what are you getting at…?” TK asked. “The kid yelled at the top of his lungs. Anyone who says it the way he said it, they have to mean it!”
 
“Well I don't know about that…” Mimi cut in. “I remember some of the other stage-hands who work on my cooking-show, they're jealous of my success and they don't like me. They kept insulting and calling me a bimbo, so I yelled at them.”
 
TK was still just a stubborn as ever, and refused to believe it. “The boy yelled out, “I'm going to kill you” and he did kill his father's Digimon, and hear you are talking about things that aren't so!”
 
Davis wasn't convinced. “The kid was smart enough to know better than to shout out a thing like that so the whole neighborhood would hear him.”
 
“Smart…?” Matt asked, “He's a no-good rude malefactor. He even speaks a with a New-York accent.”
 
“Well what difference does that make if he speaks like that…?” Ken asked.
 
Kari had been thinking about everything that was said so far, and now she decided, “Izzy, I've decided to change my vote to Not Guilty.”
 
TK looked at her in shock, “What…?”
 
“You heard me.” replied Kari. “I'm changing my vote and that's that.”
 
Izzy asked Kari if she was sure, and she was as sure as anyone could be. “The vote is now nine to three in favor of Guilty.”
 
“Golly, my own sister…!” Tai said softly. “Where do you guys get all these stories from anyways? I'm telling you, you guys are really something. I mean... even the kid's own lawyer didn't believe any of it, he knew it was a loss right from the start.”
 
He looked at his watch, “Oh, fro crying out loud, will you look at the time.”
 
So far they had all been chatting for an hour and half, but he seemed to be the only one who cared so much… most likely as he just couldn't wait to get out of there and go the soccer-game.
 
Yolei then noticed that Ken was writing his police-notebook he carried everywhere. “What'cha got there…?” she asked.
 
Her husband stood up so he could get everyone's attention, “Well I've making some notes, and I'd like to point out some things… you know it helps me work as a detective.”
 
Izzy nodded and allowed Ken to have his chance. “What have you got for us…?”
 
Ken reviewed his notes, “Well Davis has made a lot of good points, and from what was presented in court, the boy does look guilty on the outside… but I wanted to conduct a more thorough search, and I realized something.”
 
“Now… let's assume that the boy did kill his father's Digimon, this happened at 12:10. Now, how was he caught by the police? Well this happened when he returned home at 3 am where two other detectives captured him in the hallway of the building where he lived.”
 
“Well… what I'm wondering is… if he really did commit the murder then why would go back home knowing fully well he could've been caught by the police?”
 
“He obviously must have went back to get his gun.” stated Joe, “He may have dropped it as he ran out of the house, and he knew that it would identified as the won he bought.”
 
Ken raised his hand again, “Yes, but if he knew the gun could identified, why did he leave it there in the first place. I mean, why would he have dropped it and not take with him?”
 
Joe thought on it, and stated, “Perhaps he dropped his gun in a state of panic after realizing what he just did. Then he calmed down three hours later, and realized that he left the gun at home.”
 
TK rubbed his hand across his forehead in a state of boredom. “Look… first of all, the fact was he left the gun there… and second, why do keep going off like this Ken? You voted guilty already.”
 
Ken gave TK a straight look, “I'm just asking questions…” he said. “I want to be a detective one day. You got a problem with that?”
 
TK shrugged.
 
Yolei tipped her glasses. “Well, if I were the boy, I'd take a chance and get the gun. Maybe I wouldn't even be stupid enough to leave it there. In fact… maybe he would've thought that his Dad's Digimon would've vanished by then after being shot, and he could miles away before the Digimon was reconfigured and would be able to tell anyone what happened, that is if his memory hadn't been erased.”
 
Ken tried to explain that that was his whole point. “You see… the woman across the way, she said that after she saw the murder committed, after the monorail went by, she screamed and then went to call the police. Don't you think the boy would've heard the scream, and know that somebody could see it happening?”
 
“I really just don't think he would've gone back. It just doesn't add up.”
 
“Two things…” said Joe. “One… in his state of panic he might not have heard the scream, and not to mention the train had gone by which could have drowned out the sound. Two… even if he had heard the maybe he didn't connect it to his actions. There's your answer.”
 
Davis however wasn't convinced by any of that, “You may be right about all that, but maybe you're not.” he pointed out. “Remember… we're also trying to figure if he was there at all when the murder was committed.”
 
Matt stood up from his seat with a look of sheer confusion on his face, “What are you talking about? The old-man said he saw the guy running out; you're twisting the facts.” he then turned to face Ken. “Did or didn't the old-man see the boy running down the hall at 12:10. Well did, or didn't he?”
 
Ken thought it over, “Well, he said he did…”
 
“Said he did? Well, how about that?” Matt snarled.
 
“Now look, Matt. Witnesses can make mistakes.” Kari barked at him.
 
“Sure… when you say they do, but that doesn't make it anymore real! You guys are all going nuts!”
 
Izzy stood up, “Will you please keep it down with the yelling?” he growled.
 
“Oh, you keep saying that. Maybe what need is a little yelling, these guys just aren't listening anymore, and they're twisting the facts…”
 
Davis stood up and declared, “I want another vote.”
 
“I'm talking here…!”
 
“There was another vote called for…” Izzy snapped. “Now let's take our seats, and keep quiet!”
 
Matt snuffed angrily and went back to take his seat. “Boy, I never thought I'd ever see so much time spent on nothing.” TK said. “It's not really nothing if you look at it…” Mimi said as she sat down beside him.
 
TK just gave her a look.
 
Izzy got everyone's attention ready for the vote. “I guess the best way is find out who's voting Not Guilty. Now all those voting Not Guilty raise your hands…”
 
Davis, Kari, and Cody all raised their hands, but no one else did. “Nope, it's still the same. Three, Not-Guilty… Nine Guilty…”
 
A lot of the others were really getting annoyed by all this. To them it was like talking over an incident that didn't mean anything much… but just then, Ken raised his hand. “Uh, pardon me…” he said. “I vote Not-Guilty.”
 
“Oh, Ken…!” Yolei exclaimed, and all the others voting guilty exclaimed in annoyance, but Davis and he exchange soft smiles for doing what they thought was right.
 
TK stood up and grumbled, “Will you get a grip already? The kid is guilty. Why don't you listen to the facts? Man, this is annoying!”
 
“The vote is eight to four, in favor of Guilty.” Izzy stated.
 
TK marched right over to Ken, “All right… that does it! You get up right and tell me why you changed vote! Come one, I want to know.”
 
Ken stood up and looked dead in TK's eyes. “First of all, don't shout at me!” he said deeply. “And why should I have to defend my decision to you? I have a reasonable doubt now so I changed my vote.”
 
TK just picked up the gun on the table and held it out to Ken. “Yeah, well get this straight. The kid was actually seen using this to shoot his father's Digimon. Now do you still think he's innocent or what?”
 
Cody noticed, “Uh, TK… that's not the gun. Don't you remember? That's the gun Davis brought in.”
 
TK looked at the gun and realized, “Oh… isn't that smart.” and he threw it back on the table, and walked back to his seat. The vote was still not unanimous, but who knew… maybe it would become unanimous… hopefully soon.