Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ War Diaries: Adventures Zero-Three ❯ Catching of Dreams ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
War Diaries

Entry 17 - Catching of Dreams

By Lord Archive


Digimon and most characters in this series belong to Toei Animation Inc. and others. They are used without consent.

This story is rated PG-13 for language, adult situations and violence. If you, or your parents, find swearing, children talking about sex or descriptions of fighting objectionable, do not read this.

----------------------

All of the students from Odaiba Junior High were gathered in the sports field behind the school. Set up on the stage before them was an unusual treat for Japanese students. Members of American Indian tribes were going to demonstrate various aspects of their culture.

Though for a few students, their interest wasn't on the upcoming demonstration.

"How's the wife, Takaishi?" one boy questioned.

"Is little Hikari-chan waiting for you with legs spread?" another teased.

"Does 'Little Miss Proper' give turns to your friends?" another boy asked with a grin.

Takeru clenched his fist, more than a little tempted to deck these guys. However, no matter the reason, he would be the one to get in trouble if he did.

"Get a clue, jerks!" Daisuke shouted at them. "Hikari isn't that type of girl and she's pregnant. Add two and two and come back when you've got an answer less than five and over three."

Takeru looked a little surprised at Daisuke and then smirked. "A while ago, I thought you would've been one of those commenting like that."

Daisuke grinned sheepishly. "Actually, I WAS doing that a while ago, just not when you were around. They're just jealous and so was I."

"I'm NOT jealous!" protested on of the guys.

"Oh, really?" Daisuke drawled. "When was the last time you saw what a girl had to offer?"

"Last night," the guy retorted smugly.

"I mean in person, not a picture," Daisuke returned.

"Ah...." The guy hardened his expression and his face flushed as his friends began to snicker. "Okay, smart-ass, when was the last time you had some action?"

"Yesterday afternoon," Daisuke replied with a devilish smirk.

Takeru raised an eyebrow. "Miyako was at our place yesterday."

"I didn't say I was with her. The girl I was with currently looks like she's about to burst blood outa her cheeks from blushing," Daisuke told them in a joking manner.

Takeru and the guys stared as a girl a meter away from them covered her red face with her hands, eyeing them in extreme embarrassment.

"Thought Miyako was exaggerating about you sleeping around," Takeru said in emotionless shock.

"Nah. Even she doesn't know how many girls I've been with," Daisuke returned.

"You just up and did Reiko when you've been with other girls?!" the guy questioned in shock.

"Why not? She wanted to know what good sex was," Daisuke gloated.

"She could've gone to someone else," one of the other guys commented, obviously thinking about the girl going to him.

"I said GOOD sex, not something that'll leave her wanting," Daisuke retorted.

Takeru sweated nervously. "Is that how you got over Hikari? By sleeping with any willing girl?"

Daisuke shrugged. "Maybe. It certainly helped me realize she's not the only girl out there. I'm just testing the waters a bit."

"By screwing half the class?!" the guy cried out.

"And then some." Daisuke smirked.

"Settle down!" their homeroom teacher yelled at them. The principal would have to be informed of that tidbit of information, but without any proof beyond one blushing girl and Miyako's known lack of virtue-- there was nothing to confirm or deny Motomiya's boasts.

----------------------

"Do you have to keep that laptop with you all the time?" Ayashi questioned, also standing in the field at Odaiba Junior High, as she was a senior at the school where Daisuke was a freshman.

"Of course," Koushiro replied. "Trouble can strike at anytime and I want to be ready for it."

Ayashi smiled wryly. "I guess. But you don't have to be 'on call' all the time, do you?"

Koushiro frowned. "Yes, I do. I've learned the hard way that one mistake, one moment's hesitation can mean the difference between life and death. Had we hesitated any more during the Internet crisis of 2000, that American 'misfired dud' missile would've evaporated Odaiba with its ACTIVE nuclear war head." He shuddered. "And I was sitting at ground zero because the missile was targeting Taichi and me specifically."

Ayashi's eyes widened. "How close did we come to...?"

"One point two seconds." Koushiro smirked at her. "I wet myself because that was too damned close."

Ayashi giggled at that thought, but then sighed. "Will you have to do this all of your life?"

Koushiro paused. "Haven't really thought about that. I guess I might, but as the number of Chosen increase, my job has been getting easier and harder."

"What do you mean by that?" Ayashi questioned.

"It's easier as other's share the task of compiling information, but harder because I have to organize them and check their work. It's really a full time job." Koushiro smirked sheepishly. "Too bad I don't get paid for it."

Ayashi shook her head.

----------------------

Miyako folded her arms, standing among her class of second year junior high students. From her vantage point, she could see both Daisuke's class and Koushiro's. She scowled slightly wondering why she was the serious one about this. The Dark Seed children Oikawa had infected had started to act in evil ways, and not only was Noriko in Daisuke's class, but a couple other infected children also attended Odaiba Junior High. True, it was unlikely for them to act with the entire student body present, but she had thought at least Takeru would keep an eye on the potential threat.

The gathered students settled down as the Native Americans took to the stage and began their demonstration.

It came as some surprise to the students that one of the elderly representatives spoke fluent Japanese, which he explained that he learned their language during World War Two. He held the role of narrator as none of the other Native Americans knew how to speak Japanese.

It was an interesting experience for the students, seeing the cultural dances, hearing about religious folklore which strangely wasn't very different than religious Shinto stories. The tale used different animals and settings; that instead of a mischievous fox in the forest, it was a coyote that played pranks in a desert. The moral of the story told was a little different, but the biggest difference was how involved the Native American were in telling it as their story was accompanied with an illustrating dance.

While it was planned to end the performance with an explosive blast to leave an impact on the children, the thundering boom of a classroom ceasing to exist had nothing to do with that.

The students began to panic as four digimon made their presence known.

"Come on, Chosen! Let's play!" taunted a female Tankmon. The smoking weapon barrels on her arms and nose indicating her to be the one to blast the classroom.

"Yeah, let's see what you've got. I'm feeling frisky," added the red serpentine Seadramon.

"Lady, you DON'T want to say stuff like that around me," V-mon retorted, coming out of hiding along with Patamon and Hawkmon.

"I doubt you'd measure up," teased the black furred Dark Lizamon in a feminine voice.

"Let's rumble!" the blue Greymon, the only male of this group, challenged.

"You got it!" Daisuke shouted back. "Take them!"

"V-mon evolve!" A pillar surrounded the small blue digimon, and with a mighty shout of "XV-mon!" out sprang a giant blue humanoid dragon with white wings, and a silver 'V' with two slashes under it making it look like an emblazoned 'X' on his white chest.

"Patamon armor evolve!" A golden light encased Patamon into a sphere. It exploded revealing a golden masked, tan, winged horse. "The hope the gallops across the heavens, Pegasmon!"

"Hawkmon armor evolve!" A light green sphere encased him, then exploded while causing no damage to anything. In Hawkmon's place now stood a two meters tall, white robed ninja with shurikens for hands and feet. "Bursting with purity, Shurimon!"

Koushiro and Ayashi ducked behind a power generator to hide themselves from sight. He quickly flipped open his laptop and turned it on. He let out a relieved sigh as he saw his partner at a portal. "Kabuterimon, I need you. Digi-port open!"

A light burst forth from the screen and out emerged not only Kabuterimon, but a red Kuwagamon as well.

"Wha?!" Kuwagamon looked around confused.

"A little more warning next time," Kabuterimon chastised.

"_I_ didn't have time! We're under attack!" Koushiro pointed.

Kuwagamon stared, her mandibles agape. She watched as XV-mon, Shurimon and Pegasmon engage four digimon in deadly battle. Number or power not being on their side, they were quickly pushed back. "You're a Chosen Digimon?"

Kabuterimon laughed a little nervously. "Didn't I tell you that?"

"Less talking and more fighting!" Ayashi yelled at them.

"Okay, let's go!" Kuwagamon darted out and slammed herself into Tankmon, sending the green mechanized digimon tumbling.

Kabuterimon stared for a second then shrugged. He then joined in the melee of battle.

The Seadramon had coiled around XV-mon. "Is that all you got, 'little boy?'" she teased.

XV-mon growled. "There's nothing little about me!" He struggled as the dragon held him tightly.

Daisuke smirked, holding up his digivice.

XV-mon shared that smirk and devolved. Before he touched the ground, he shouted, "V-mon armor evolve!" A sphere encased V-mon and shattered in a fiery explosion that caused no damage. The lizard now stood over two meters tall and had flaming red armor on his knees, arms and head. "Burning with courage, Fladramon!" No sooner was his evolution complete that he touched the ground and jumped back up. "Fire Rocket!" Flames burst around him and he head-butted the underside of Seadramon's chin, sending her crashing to the ground and devolving to a fury, aquatic Gizamon.

Greymon spewed balls of flame at Pegasmon, who danced around those blasts with ease. Many wounds were forming on the large blue tyrannosaur as the winged horse showered his attacks at the dinosaur with seeming impunity.

Shurimon and Dark Lizamon had yet to land a hit on each other, both using their speed and misdirection to their utmost advantage. It was a game where one mistake would make all the difference.

"Mega Blaster!" Kabuterimon called out.

Dark Lizamon howled in pain, the mistake of forgetting that there were others involved in this fight had left her unprepared for the attack.

Kuwagamon toyed around with the living tank, tossing her around by using her own strength and speed to keep Tankmon from making any real attack. She could kill the metal digimon, but for some reason had no desire to do so. She just wanted to stop her.

Suddenly a piercing whistle echoed across the field of battle.

Dark Lizamon struggled against her pain and started running. She picked up the comatose Gizamon and sprinted off.

Tankmon and Greymon devolved to Toy Agumon and a black Agumon respectively. Both escaped through manhole covers and into the sewers.

Fladramon devolved. "Time for us to make our own disappearing act."

Pegasmon also devolve and then Shurimon grabbed both of them and disappeared in a swirl of leaves.

Kabuterimon and Kuwagamon flew over to Koushiro and Ayashi.

"Time to go back," Kabuterimon told his female companion.

Kuwagamon leaned close to him. "That was fun. Now I think I'd like a... _different_ kind of fun."

Kabuterimon laughed nervously. "But we, ah, just met...."

"So?" Kuwagamon returned.

"You can finish that in the Digital World. Digi-port open!" Koushiro held up his shining laptop as the two giant insects seemingly disappeared into it. He then closed it and sighed heavily.

Ayashi looked over the vacated field, which was now riddled with damage from the various attacks. "I see what you mean by needing to be on call all the time."

Koushiro nodded and then fidgeted a little. "Excuse me, but I need to be alone for a little bit."

Ayashi looked at him curiously. "Why?"

Koushiro smiled weakly. "Digimon are connected to their partners. Our emotions helps give them power and when one of us feels extreme emotions, both of us do."

Ayashi looked clueless for a second and then her eyes widened. "You mean that...."

Koushiro nodded. "I'm getting... feedback at the moment."

Ayashi stared as Koushiro walked away. Her mind going over what her boyfriend had implied what he was about to do. She shook her head and felt rather... well, hot. She wished he hadn't hit the proverbial down arrow on her mental elevator.

----------------------

When Mrs. Wataru decided on having a picnic to meet the children with digimon, she hadn't thought about one aspect of it: where to hold the picnic without drawing attention to the digimon that would be with them. It left her no choice but to have her daughter, Sayuri, contact them and have them recommend a spot. Having gone on little outings like this before, the Odaiba Chosen knew a few places in Odaiba Park that were relatively private. While Mrs. Wataru hadn't exactly invited the other parents, once Mrs. Izumi learned of the picnic, she had volunteered to help.

Now Mrs. Wataru gazed over the gathered children and digimon. Well, she wasn't sure if 'children' fit all of them. There was a sense of maturity around some of them that screamed in vast contrast with her daughter and the girl in a wheelchair, Yume.

Perhaps the most startling thing for Mrs. Wataru was how the digimon behaved. They acted like... people. They talked, joked and did other things animals could not do.

"How do you feel about your son being... chosen?" Mrs. Wataru asked.

Mrs. Izumi smiled. "Very proud. How many mothers can honestly claim their son saved the world?"

"Isn't it hard for you to see him run off to battle knowing he could get hurt or worse?" Mrs. Wataru questioned.

"Not too much. Koushiro and his friends always come back." Mrs. Izumi then frowned. "I know there's a chance that one time he won't... but this is something he has to do. It's, well, his destiny."

"I don't believe in a destiny that puts children in danger," Mrs. Wataru retorted.

Mrs. Izumi gave her a sad look. "You need to believe it, because we wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for my son and his friends. We'd all be dead or slaves of that Vamdemon digimon."


"Too bad you weren't there, Iori! Those Dark Seed kids didn't stand a chance!" Daisuke boasted. "We sent them packing."

Iori shrugged. "As long as no one was hurt."

"Actually, I believe we failed," Koushiro voiced.

"What do you mean?" Daisuke questioned. "We beat them good."

"We defeated their digimon, but not their true objective," Koushiro corrected. "After the battle, the Native Americans went through their stuff. One of their possessions came up missing. A dream catcher."

"So?" Daisuke questioned. "You can buy those at that specialty shop in the mall."

"True, but remember what they said about the dream catcher they had," Koushiro returned. "It had been made by a shaman over a century ago. They noted how unusual it is for something like that to be kept. It may well be the oldest surviving dream catcher that's not sitting in some burial chamber. I wouldn't think much of it if it wasn't for the fact other Dark Seed children stole that 'World of a Dreamer' painting. I have no idea why they seem to be interested in dream related stuff, but there must be something important about it."


"How come Palmon isn't here?" Piyomon questioned.

Mimi smiled sheepishly. "Because she'd have to bring her son. Some of us wouldn't react well to him. Best to let him play with digimon who don't know who he was."

Piyomon frowned. "I see.... Perhaps I should pay her a visit sometime soon."

Mimi nodded. "I'm sure she'd like that." She then rubbed her forehead.

Piyomon looked at her questioningly. "Are you all right?"

"Yeah. I just need to talk to someone." Mimi turned and walked toward Mrs. Wataru.

Mrs. Wataru watched the girl as she approached. "Is there something you want?"

"You're still having problems accepting this," Mimi noted sympathetically as she sat down next to Sayuri's mother.

"What do you know about it?" Mrs. Wataru questioned a little harshly.

Mimi smirked sadly. "More that I ever wanted to know." She pulled up her legs and hugged her knees to her chest. "I've been a Chosen as long as any of the older members, but my total kills are less than Sayuri's. Only Yume has less because she hasn't killed yet."

Mrs. Wataru appraised the girl. "How have you managed to avoid killing when my daughter hasn't?"

Mimi frowned. "It's because I refused to kill to the point where friends of mine died because I did nothing. I still hate killing. I avoid it at all cost... except for the lives of others. The two lives I've taken do not hurt me as much as the friends I lost because of my inaction."

Mrs. Wataru frowned. "If I prevent Sayuri from being... one of you, will it cause others to die?"

Mimi nodded. "I'm afraid so. They say evil exists because good people do nothing. I know that it's true because _I_ did nothing when I should have done something."

Mrs. Wataru mulled over what the girl said. She then scowled as she saw Sayuri talking with the pregnant girl.

Mimi appraised Mrs. Wataru. "Afraid Sayuri will end up like Hikari?"

"A little," Mrs. Wataru admitted.

Mimi sighed. "I wish I could say it won't happen, that Hikari and Takeru are special, but that'd ignore Sayuri is special too. She has feelings for Iori that might lead to more, if Yume or someone else doesn't capture his heart first." She toyed with he hair a little. "However, Iori is very responsible. If in a couple years he does end up being with Sayuri, he would marry her and support their baby. There's just one thing you're ignoring about that, though."

"What's that?" Mrs. Wataru questioned.

"That Sayuri ending up in an adult relationship at a young age could happen whether or not she's a Chosen," Mimi explained. "True, we do seem to bring the average age down a bit, but for the most part we've been more careful who we pick to be with as well. Hikari has only been with Takeru for the past year, while her brother, Taichi, has been with his girlfriend for the past four years."

"I don't want my daughter to be with ANYONE until she's an adult," Mrs. Wataru retorted fiercely.

Mimi shook her head. "Sayuri will have to make a lot of tough decisions as a Chosen. Those decisions will make her more mature and stronger as a person, just as the older Chosen have grown and matured from their experiences. We still make mistakes as we are human, but we're better able to deal with them. When the time comes for Sayuri to decide to be with someone, it'll be the answer that is right for her."

"Why does Sayuri have to be a Chosen? Why not someone else?" Mrs. Wataru asked.

"I've been asking that question about myself since I landed in the Digital World when I was ten," Mimi returned. "I'm not a fighter. I detest violence. Yet I was dumped into a middle of a war. Death surrounded me and all I wanted was to go shopping with my friends." She laughed a little. "I was rather spoiled. I had to learn the hard way that I had to stop being selfish and give of myself to others. But it was in learning that, that I was able to do the things needed of me to help save the Digital World and Earth. Things only I was able to do because of my lesson."

"Isn't there anything I can do to help her? To keep her safe?" Mrs. Wataru pleaded.

"Be there for her. There will be times she'll need all the love you can give her," Mimi advised. "Sayuri suffered her first kills in silence as she felt she had no one to turn to. Not until I talked to her at the Hikari's wedding reception, over a week later, did she tell anyone how she felt about it."

Mrs. Wataru hung her head. "But why does she have to do this?"

Mimi patted the woman on the back. "Once I figure out why I had to do it, I'll let you know and maybe we can figure out why Sayuri was Chosen."


"How have you been feeling?" Sayuri questioned.

"Bored more than anything else," Hikari joked. "I feel like a prisoner in my own home."

Sayuri looked at her questioningly. "Why's that?"

"Because the potential problems with my pregnancy has me on so many restrictions I'm not allowed to do anything." Hikari sighed.

Yume wheeled closer to them and asked in a worried tone, "Do you regret becoming pregnant?"

Hikari shook her head. "I'd never feel that way about my son. Would've preferred this happen when I was older, but I'll always love him." She decided to change topics. "How are things going for you two?"

"Great," Yume replied.

"Well, besides my mother's attempts to keep me from being a Chosen, fine," Sayuri answered half-jokingly.

Hikari glanced over at Mrs. Wataru and saw Mimi talking to her. "I suspect your mother won't try to interfere after today. She may not like it, but she'll understand you're needed."

"How can you be sure about that?" Sayuri questioned.

"Mimi has a way with talking to people," Hikari replied.

----------------------

A city filled with an odd mix of ancient and modern buildings covered the landscape. Eight dark shadows of different people, children, appeared in the sky with eight more shadows of digimon appearing above them.

A giant stood on one of the city's streets, but he crashed to the ground and everything burst into flame.


Sayuri sat up with a jolt and desperately hugged Psychemon, who had been asleep at the foot of the bed.

"What's wrong?" Psychemon wheezed out.

Sayuri's labored breath clamed down, but she didn't answer. She let go of her partner and went to her bookcase. She pulled out a book and flipped through its pages.

"What's wrong?" Psychemon pressed.

Sayuri held out the book, it's page opened to showing an image of a museum. "Our next battle is here." She pointed at the location the photo was taken, 'Kyoto.'

----------------------

Author's Notes:

Mimi used the 'Digital World Express' to get to the picnic by porting to the Digital World and then to Japan. (Yes, she's technically in Japan illegally as she did not go through customs first.)

In case you're wondering if Ayashi is a Chosen with Kuwagamon as a partner, only those who were twelve-years-old or younger have received a digivice. Ayashi is too old to be considered.

Iori's group will be important in the next chapter, but they'll certainly need a helping hand in:

War Diaries Entry 18 - Burning Kyoto
The Dark Seed Chosen have their next target in sight, but can Kyoto survive the resulting battle when the Odaiba Chosen arrive?