Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ War Diaries: Adventures Zero-Three ❯ Burning Kyoto ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
War Diaries

Entry 18 - Burning Kyoto

By Lord Archive

Digimon and most characters in this series belong to Toei Animation Inc. and others. They are used without consent.

This story is rated PG-13 for language, adult situations and violence. If you, or your parents, find swearing, children talking about sex or descriptions of fighting objectionable, do not read this.

----------------------

Sayuri tapped her fingers as she looked over the archive of messages from the Chosen Message Board. That dream she had last night felt so real, so urgent, that when she woke she was sure it was going to happen. That she had dreamed of the future. Now, she wasn't so sure.

If she did have a prophetic dream, then other Chosen would undoubtedly have dreams like that or maybe some other kind of special ability. But nowhere could she find any evidence that it did. A few odd comments here and there made her wonder though. The closest proof she had was the rumor that spread through the Takaishi wedding reception about one of the London group claiming that he could see a digimon's aura and had the Vadermon that appeared at the reception killed for seeing his 'dark soul.' There was a girl who sprouted angel wings, but that girl had been fused with a digimon so didn't necessarily count.

Certainly if there was any real proof, though, Koushiro would've posted whole articles on special powers. There were none.

Sayuri sighed. She had spent all day trying to find something that didn't exist. Chosen only had Digimon partners, they had no special powers. She was only fooling herself with that notion.

Sayuri blinked as a message screen popped up on her computer.

'Sayuri and Psychemon,
'When the portal opens to the Digital World, go through it.
'The Dark Seed children are attacking a museum in Kyoto.
' -Koushiro, Chosen of Knowledge

Sayuri stared in shock. She then cried out, "Psychemon!"

"What is it?" Psychemon questioned, rushing out of her partner's bedroom.

"We're going to Kyoto..." Sayuri swallowed. "The battle has already started."

Psychemon's eyes widened in surprise. "You really did see the future?"

"I guess so," Sayuri replied, uncertain what to think.

The screen to the Wataru's family computer shifted as the portal opened, and with a flash Sayuri and Psychemon were gone.

Mrs. Wataru watched that exchange and her hand tightened around a dishcloth, squeezing water out of it and onto the floor until the rag was almost dry.

----------------------

Koushiro stood in front of the gathered Chosen. Not the full team, but a very potent group nonetheless with Iori and the two members of his team, Sayuri and Yume, along with Takeru, Daisuke, Ken, and Sora. The other Chosen couldn't make it for one reason or another.

"What's the situation?" Iori questioned.

"I'll explain why and how later, but the Dark Seed children are in the process of stealing some sword called the Akumu-no-Ken from a museum in Kyoto. I've traced the computer they used to get there and we'll be there to greet them," Koushiro explained.

"Why don't we go to where they'll emerge in the Digital World?" Daisuke questioned.

Sora looked unusually frustrated. "My father lives in Kyoto. He might be in trouble now!"

Koushiro frowned. "There's that, and that they're somehow using the Dark Ocean to get to where they want, not the Digital World."

Sayuri frowned. "I don't think we should stop them, this time. Something... bad will happen if we do."

"We have to stop them," Ken returned. "We don't know what they're planning, but we have to defeat them and free them of the Dark Seeds."

Iori looked at Sayuri with a serious expression. "We have a good chance to beating them here and now. We can't let this opportunity pass."

Sayuri opened her mouth as if to protest, but then reluctantly nodded.

"Let's just get there!" Sora demanded.

----------------------

Professor Takenouchi and his student aid, Kido Shuu, had been on the other side of Kyoto when the digimon appeared at Kyoto National Museum, but unlike most people who tried to get away from the danger they posed, the two researchers sped toward the museum.

When the duo made it, they saw the riot police had surrounded the museum and that the officers were being toyed with.

Mr. Takenouchi frowned at Sabirdramon, a large black-feathered version of his daughter's adult digimon, flying toward the line of police. He then blinked and covered his ears as the bird zoomed past, going faster than the speed of sound.

Shuu stared in horror as a serpentine dragon, Seadramon, shot spears of ice at the police helicopter, freezing the tail rotor. It spun out of control. He closed his eyes and winced in expectation of the craft exploding, taking its occupants with it, but it never came.

The wounded craft was held in the arms of a giant digimon. Shuu was in awe at the grand sight of Imperial Dramon Fighter Mode.

"This is enough!" boomed the giant humanoid dragon.

"We'll tell YOU when we've had enough! Mach Shadow!" the black bird cried out.

"Meteor Shower!" countered the orange firebird, Birdramon, preventing her dark-feathered cousin from completing his attack as he crashed to the ground.

Imperial Dramon carefully set down the helicopter and moved away from it.

"Sora!" Mr. Takenouchi yelled, seeing his daughter among the recently arrived children.

Shuu frowned, not seeing his brother present. But that was short lived as his features went back to awe as the remaining digimon evolved. With Imperial Dramon Fighter Mode, Angemon, Birdramon, Ankylomon, Hanumon, and Shima Unimon, he doubted the opposing digimon stood a chance. He then stared in shock as eight children emerged from the museum.

"Let's even up the odds, shall we?" Noriko pointed with a demented grin. "Take them!"

A wall of the museum exploded as more digimon emerged. Tankmon, a blue Greymon, Dark Lizamon, Wizarmon, Black Tailmon and Veggiemon joined Sabirdramon and Seadramon.

Imperial Dramon raised his forearm and intoned, "Positron Laser!" His wrist cannon unleashing its powerful blast in front of the assembled digimon, intentionally missing so as to not kill them, but still sending them flying.

"Give it up!" Daisuke yelled. "We've got you out-gunned. There's NO way you can stand up to Imperial Dramon!"

"Oh, but I think we can." Sakura glanced over. "Noriko?"

Noriko nodded and held her digivice to the Akumu-no-Ken she held in her hand. "Digimon, evolve!"

Black lightning coursed through the sword and into Noriko's blood red D^3. That lightning then arced across the other digivices.

"What the fuck?!" Koushiro cried out. "That's impossible!" He really wished Kabuterimon had been near a portal. He REALLY needed his partner.

"Tell that to them!" Daisuke shot back.

Sayuri stepped back. Her dream had warned her of this, and now it was coming to pass.

The Chosen could only watch in horror as their opponents began to dark evolve into Perfection form. Dark pillars streaked toward the sky surrounding the digimon that had stood against them.

In place of Tankmon was an evil looking ball with a sword in her hand, Tekkamon.

Veggiemon was replaced by the alien looking Vadermon.

Seadramon had grown in size and was now blood red in color with a curved blade on her forehead, becoming Waru Seadramon.

Sabirdramon emerged from the pillar as the enormous Parrotmon.

Wizarmon had evolved into Death Meramon, a dark-skinned, large humanoid digimon with an evil mask and deadly chains that burned intensely.

Dark Lizamon changed into the egg-shelled, nearly impossible to hurt, Digitamamon.

Black Tailmon laughed in cruel mirth as her form became that of the leather clad, pale beauty known as Lady Devimon.

The blue Greymon unleashed a growling howl from the grave as the towering bony body of Skull Greymon appeared in all his ghastly might.

"All right!" Takeshi cheered in delight. "Take those wimps!"

"Take out Imperial Dramon first. The rest are fodder," Noriko ordered.

Imperial Dramon took a step forward, not seeing the Perfection digimon as much of a threat. He then froze as a cold shiver went down his spine, as he came in contact with Digitamamon's Nightmare Syndrome attack. The moment of fear was all the opening the newly evolved digimon wanted.

Lady Devimon sent forth a blast of dark energy. Parrotmon and Waru Seadramon combined their lightning strikes into one gigantic blast. Tekkamon threw a volley of explosive balls. Vadermon fired his ray gun. Death Meramon unleashed a torrent of fire. Skull Greymon finished the combined attack with his nuclear attack.

The Chosen watched in horror as Imperial Dramon screamed in pain and fell to his knees.

"Again," Noriko called out coldly.

The Chosen digimon moved to intercept, but it was too late. The combined attacks struck Imperial Dramon once more, sending him flying. His struggled to move, but then glowed before devolving, whether to child or baby forms was unknown for they were out of sight.

Birdramon tried to strike Parrotmon, but her fiery attack was ignored and received an electric blast in return that sent her crashing to the ground.

The other Chosen digimon did not perform any better against the newly evolved Perfection digimon, each failing to hurt their target but being knocked away in the counterattack.

"Our turn," Iori intoned with barely repressed anger.

Takeru nodded.

"Ankylomon!" cried out the yellow dinosaur.

"Angemon!" added the angel.

"Jogress evolve!" they chorused as the pair merged into one. In their place stood a giant metal idol with petite angel wings. "Shakkoumon!"

"Is that the best you've got now?" Takeshi gloated. "Parrotmon, take him!"

"Mjolnir Thunder!" the green parrot cried out, sending forth his lightning attack.

Shakkoumon's eyes opened and absorbed the blast. He then blinked. "Return to sender. Ruling Spirit!"

Parrotmon crashed against the ground, avoiding the attack, which struck the museum and set it ablaze.

The other Chosen digimon struggled against their opponents, but they were now out numbered and out gunned.

"Demon's Kiss!" Vadermon called out with a devilishly sweet male tone and then placed his lips at the back of Shakkoumon's head, sneaking up behind the giant idol digimon in the confusion of battle going on around them.

Shakkoumon screamed in pain and then remained in place, frozen.

"I've had enough of this," Noriko commented, as if bored. "Tekkamon."

"Skull Stand!" The small digimon hurled explosives, causing police cars to explode and setting buildings on fire.

The Chosen knew they could not go after the retreating Dark Seed Children as they first needed to help those trapped within this disaster.

----------------------

Sayuri frowned as she looked over the damage the battle had caused. The museum and all the priceless treasures within it were no more. Over a dozen police officers were injured, a couple of them critically and may not survive to see tomorrow.

"Come on, Sayuri," Yume called out. "We've done all we can. We have to go back."

"No... I didn't do all that I could've," Sayuri replied more to herself than her teammate.

"Huh?" Yume questioned.

Sayuri gave a pained look. "It's nothing that concerns you. Let's go."

Sayuri and Psychemon followed Bakumon as the child elephant digimon pushed Yume's wheelchair that they had brought with them.

"Sorry I can't stay longer, Daddy," Sora gave the university professor a fierce hug.

"You should come by for a visit sometime," Mr. Takenouchi returned.

"Well, it wouldn't be that difficult now. I'll bring Taichi with me so you can meet him," Sora promised.

"Do that," Mr. Takenouchi told her.

"It's all set," Koushiro announced. The Chosen and their digimon gathered around the rust-haired boy before he raised his purple D-3. "Digi-port open!"

No sooner than Shuu had closed the laptop that had been used as the gate, a tired and burnt police officer approached them.

"Excuse me, but did you see where the digimon and the children with them went?" the officer questioned.

"They opened a portal and disappeared through it. Really fascinating to watch." Mr. Takenouchi then gave a long sigh. "Too bad I didn't have any of my instruments here to take readings on the phenomenon. Isn't that right, Shuu?"

"Yes, Professor Takenouchi. An actual dimensional portal and all we could do was watch it," Shuu replied, not sounding very regrettable about it.

Professor Takenouchi frowned and commented toward the officer, "Good student help is hard to find."

The police officer wanted to make more of this, but he barely had any energy left. And he didn't have the means to do anything to them with so many of his fellow officers injured. If they had any video equipment, he would've confiscated it for evidence. All he could do at this point was ask them for their phone numbers and addresses so they could be contacted later as eyewitnesses.

----------------------

"Care to explain what the hell happened?" Daisuke demanded. "How did they get to Kyoto? What is the Akumu-no-Ken and how did they use it to evolve their digimon to Perfection?"

"Well, for how they got to Kyoto, they used the same method we did but with the Dark Ocean," Koushiro informed. "They opened a portal there and then opened another portal somewhere else on Earth. That explains the portals that opened before. They were earlier attempts of the Dark Seed children trying to reach the Digital World or Dark Ocean that didn't succeed."

"And the sword?" Takeru prompted.

Koushiro scratched his head. "All I know was the name that was reported over the police radio."

Iori frowned. "The Akumu-no-Ken was wielded by one of the most bloodthirsty hitokiri at the end of the Meiji Era. Legend had it that many victims that were slain by the sword dreamt of it the night before they died."

"Hitokiri?" Yume questioned.

Sayuri sighed. "Hitokiri were feared warriors in the rebellion that restored the imperial government at the beginning of the Meiji Restoration Era well over a century ago. These warriors were the deadliest of fighters, scoring dozens of kills each. Especially in assassinations."

"Iori, how do you know about the Akumu-no-Ken?" Sora questioned.

Iori shrugged. "Because one of my ancestors was killed by it... despite the fact that he was also a hitokiri."

Koushiro frowned. "Okay, we have the ancient American Indian dream catcher that collects bad dreams, the Akumu-no-Ken which gives nightmares to those it'll slay, and the 'World of a Dreamer' painting that shows reality and the realm of dreams. Why are the Dark Seed children taking these items?"

Yume pouted. "They probably have some power like the Akumu-no-Ken did with evolving digimon."

"Yes, but how will they use these items? Hell, how can they be used?" Koushiro wondered.

"It's certainly something to think about, but I've got to get back home," Sora informed.

Ken sighed. "I have a test to study for."

Koushiro nodded. "If you get any ideas, contact me."

One by one the Chosen returned to their individual homes.

When only a couple were left, Sayuri spoke up. "Koushiro, Iori... I need to talk to you both.... In private."

Koushiro shrugged. "Okay. There's an empty city nearby where we can sit down and talk."

----------------------

"What is it that you wanted to talk about, Sayuri?" Iori questioned, sitting in a vacant house.

Sayuri fidgeted nervously, but didn't say anything.

"Come on, we won't bite," Koushiro pressed jokingly.

Sayuri frowned. "Tell me... do some Chosen have special powers?"

Koushiro's expression changed as he seemed to study her intently. "Why do you ask that?"

Sayuri noted there was no denial. "It's just... I've been having unusual dreams...."

"Dreams like the one you had after Gururumon hit you with his Chaos Flame attack?" Iori asked.

Sayuri nodded slightly. "Kind of. That first dream is like the ones I've had since then, but...."

"But?" Koushiro prompted.

"All of the dreams I've had since that first one happened, though not always the way I dreamed it," Sayuri explained. "When I dreamt about Ken being attacked, I wasn't there, but watching it on television. But last night I woke up from a nightmare where I saw Kyoto burning."

"You have to believe her. She told me immediately after she woke up that we would be fighting there!" Psychemon added pleadingly.

Iori exchanged looks with Koushiro and they both nodded. Hida then stood up and pointed at the wall. "Sayuri, punch the wall."

"Huh?!" Sayuri stared at him in confusion.

"Just punch the wall as hard as you can," Iori repeated. "I'll explain after you do it."

Sayuri wondered why he was having her do that and did as he told her. She reared back her fist and slammed it against the unyielding wall. She yelped and waved her hand as she hurt it more than what she hit.

"Watch," Iori told her. He then pulled back his fist and punched a hole through the wall. He shook the digital plaster from his hand, which deleted as it fell.

Sayuri was definitely impressed but also a bit confused. "What does your martial arts practice have to do with this?"

Iori frowned. "A trained martial artist can break bricks with his bare hands, but none can just punch holes through solid walls. Bricks have a weak point that can be exploited by striking it in the center. Walls are a different matter entirely. You have to know where their weak points are to damage them."

"So how did you punch through the wall?" Sayuri questioned.

"Because my physical abilities are almost superhuman," Iori told her seriously. He walked over and picked up Koushiro with little effort. "I can bench press more than twice his weight and can run a hundred meters in ten seconds."

Koushiro sweated nervously. "I think she's got the point. You can put me down now."

"So, other Chosen do have special powers," Sayuri said coldly. "Why don't you let us know about that?"

Koushiro frowned. "There are a few different reasons. First, not all Chosen, like me, have demonstrated any sort of special ability. Second, those that do learn of them usually find out during a time of extreme duress. We do not want someone putting themselves in danger to discover a special power they may not have. Third, those who do have special abilities don't often like having them advertised to others. People often attack what they don't understand, and if it became known that a child was not only different by having a digimon but also had the power to, say, read minds, the fear and prejudice he would face would be brutal, possibly lethal, in its sheer intensity."

Sayuri debated whether to accept that answer, but she could talk about it later. There were some things she needed to know. "Are our powers tied to the digivices?"

Koushiro shrugged. "The simple answer is we don't know. Most special powers do seem to come from the digivice. However, a few of them have used special abilities while not in contact with their digivice, while others could not use their power at all."

"My abilities don't disappear when I don't have my digivice, but I haven't been away from it for long periods of time since I realized my strength wasn't entirely natural," Iori added.

"Are we still human?" Sayuri asked.

"Of course, we are," Iori assured her.

"We've done tests on some of the more... blatant Chosen with special powers, and they are human in every aspect save for their abilities. They're more human than what those comic book mutants claim to be," Koushiro added.

Sayuri slumped onto a chair. "What should I do about my dreams?"

"Let's us know about them immediately," Iori advised. "If they do tell us of the future, we can use that knowledge to prevent incidents like what happened in Kyoto."

"Why are you so accepting of my claim of having precognition?" Sayuri asked.

"Because I'm not normal either," Iori replied.

"I've seen some powers first hand. Hikari has done things that surpass your dreams of the future." Koushiro blinked. "Don't let her know I told you that. She's very much afraid that she isn't human."

Sayuri nodded. "There was something off about her in my first dream."

----------------------

Author's Notes:


Comments from Gray:

> "She could kill the metal digimon, but for some reason had no desire to do so.
> She just wanted to stop her."
>
> You make it sound like that it's some odd exception this time that she doesn't
> feel like killing. However I see no reason why a digimon decent enough to
> associate with a CC digimon would feel the need to kill unncessarilty.
> So making it sound like this time is the exception is kind of odd.

The Digital World is a rather wild place. Fighting death battles are not unheard of (though not nearly as common as the Tamers Digital World). Not to mention, Kuwagamon are not known to be vegetarians.

Also, perspective of battle is that Chosen digimon fighting evil digimon. Evil digimon are best killed so they can be reformatted to hopefully more peaceful evolution.

So, the 'unnecessity' of killing is subjective, especially when you consider some of the kills made by Chosen digimon. Whether it's the lack of lethal force expressed by the Chosen digimon that stayed Kuwagamon's claws or another reason entirely might be answered eventually. This Kuwagamon has killed in the past, for food and self-defense, which is not something that is wrong to do in the Digital World.

As for the other things: Typos are evil. I wanted someone to behave differently than the other parents have demonstrated and Sayuri's mother was perfect for the role. And wait and see about the dream items.