Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ War Diaries: Adventures Zero-Three ❯ Fun at the Beach ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
War Diaries - Adventures Zero-Three

Entry 6: Fun At The Beach

By Lord Archive

Digimon belongs to Toei Animation Inc., Saban Entertainment, Fox Kids and others. They are used without consent. And since Toei doesn't want them anymore, I'm not giving them back.

----------------------

Sayuri didn't mind the idea of going to the beach with her friends. What she did mind was having to put Psychemon into a duffel bag and take along her four-year-old little sister. Hitomi being the bigger of her two perceived problems.

Sayuri would've left Psychemon home, but her digimon was too new to the Real World. Psychemon had to either be near her or in the Digital World to maintain her strength. It was amazing the Psychemon and Bakumon could even remain in child form in this dimension. Most digimon that were new to this world were usually in their second stage baby form. Only someone of strong potential or in areas where the Digital World's barrier was particularly weak and digimon came to the real world frequently were able to be of child level. Sayuri hoped that her and Yume had strong potential, since she didn't like the idea of having to fight in her dimension.

Sayuri snapped out of her thoughts as she approached where her friends were waiting for her.

"And just why did you bring her along?" Michiru asked.

Sayuri scratched the back of her head. "My mother made me."

Tomoe leaned forward. "Why would she do that?"

"To keep neechan from lookin' at the boys," Hitomi chirped.

"Boys?" Tomoe and Michiru chorused as they looked at each other. They leaned toward Sayuri. "You like someone?"

"Well, kind of... but not really.... besides there's someone else...." Sayuri fidgeted.

"She like some guy named Iori," Hitomi answered.

"HITOMI!" Sayuri blushed. "It's not like that."

"Right. Then why are you blushing?" Tomoe asked.

Michiru huffed. "Iori? Why him of all people? He's too reserved and doesn't socialize outside of his little group."

Sayuri focused on Hitomi, to avoid her friends' comments. "Don't you know what secrets are for?"

"Yep." Hitomi nodded. "Like not to tellin' Mommy about your digimon."

Sayuri's eyes were the sizes of saucers.

"YOUR DIGIMON?!" Tomoe and Michiru shrieked.

"Ah huh. She got her in the bag." Hitomi pointed at it.

Tomoe and Michiru immediately grabbed for the bag, but Sayuri tried to keep it away from them.

"Please don't. There's something private in there," Sayuri pleaded as it was pried from her grip.

"OW! Stop that!" came from the bag.

Tomoe and Michiru dropped the bag as if it was a lethal snake.

"Can I come out now?"

Sayuri gulped and unzipped the bag.

Psychemon sat up and breathed heavily. "When was the last time you washed that?"

Sayuri giggled nervously. "Sorry."

"Want ta play?" Hitomi asked Psychemon.

"Why don't you both go to that cove over there? Avoid letting anyone see Psychemon." Sayuri suggested. "I think I have to have a long talk with my friends."

"'Kay," Hitomi chirped.

Psychemon got out of the duffel bag and then tossed it over her head, which covered most of her body. "I'll just be an odd friend."

"Is that thing safe?" Tomoe asked.

Sayuri nodded. "Psychemon is bonded to me. She can't really do anything I wouldn't do."

----------------------

Part of the sand castle collapsed. Hitomi huffed. "This no fun."

"Sorry, but I don't know any human games," Psychemon replied.

"It'd be better with more people," Hitomi stated.

Psychemon scratched the back of her head. "Maybe. But then people would see me. That can cause trouble. From what I've heard digimon aren't viewed highly."

Hitomi pouted. "Digimon aren't bad."

A strange squishy like sound echoed.

"What was that?" Psychemon questioned.

"Came from that cave." Hitomi pointed. "Let's investigate." She got up and walked toward it.

"Don't. We don't know what's in there," Psychemon stated.

"Don't worry. Neechan took me here 'fore. It not a big cave," Hitomi assured the digimon.

Just then a white tentacle shot out.

----------------------

Sayuri shot up when she heard a scream coming from the cove she sent Psychemon and Hitomi. Without a second thought, she ran straight toward them.

Tomoe and Michiru stared and then followed reluctantly.

"Gaudy Horn!" Psychemon's horn flashed in multicolored lights.

Gesomon, a white and purple squid like digimon, covered his eyes. However, one tentacle still held Hitomi in the air.

Sayuri had blocked the light with her arm. "Psychemon protect her!"

"Psychemon evolve!" A pillar of light enshrouded the fur covered purple lizard. When the light faded, a masked unicorn with zebra stripes stood there. "Shima Unimon!"

The Gesomon turned and advanced toward Sayuri.

"Raster Shot!" Shima Unimon sent out a flat beam that struck the main body of the squid digimon.

A tentacles lashed out at Shima Unimon, who barely dodged the whip-like attack.

Sayuri looked around. "I don't see a portal around here."

"What does one look like?" Tomoe asked uncertainly.

"An area of shimmering air," Sayuri snapped.

"There's nothing like that here," Michiru commented.

"Then find me a computer!" Sayuri ordered.

Tomoe and Michiru ran off immediately.

Sayuri spotted a large branch on the ground and picked it up ready to use it as a weapon. "Now let go of my sister!"

"Raster Shot!" Shima Unimon attacked the base of the tentacle holding Hitomi, making the squid drop the young girl.

Sayuri dropped the branch and ran to her fallen sister.

"Run, Sayuri. I'll deal with him." Shima Unimon charged in.

Sayuri picked up Hitomi and ran out of the cove. She spotted Tomoe waving at her. "Shima, get Gesomon to follow me."

"If you say so." Shima Unimon turned and ran to her partner. Sayuri placed Hitomi on the unicorn's back.

Those at the beach stared in awe and the zebra unicorn, but then started to panic at the giant squid following her.

"What's the plan?" Shima Unimon asked.

"We're going to use that computer." Sayuri motioned to where Tomoe was nervously standing at a convenience stand.

"Hope it works," Shima commented.

"Tomoe, get away from there," Sayuri ordered.

Tomoe ran off quickly.

Sayuri gestured at Shima Unimon to move behind the convenience stand, while she stood in front of the stand's computer. She held her ground as Gesomon continued to advance. She grimmaced as the beast grabbed her with a tentacle. She struggled in his grip as he continued to advance on her digimon. However, the Gesomon also moved closer to the computer. "Di...giport... open!"

Light flashed from the computer, washing over the Gesomon and his captive. When it subsided, both were gone.

"Neechan?" Hitomi blinked. "Neechan! Where are you!?"

"She's in the Digital World," Shima Unimon said.

"Go get her back!" Hitomi demanded.

"I can't without her help." She then devolved to Psychemon.

The computer flashed again. Sayuri stood there and turned toward her sister. "Are you okay?"

"Neechan!" Hitomi glomped her big sister as she cried. "Don't leave me like that!"

"I'll try not to." Sayuri patted her little sister's hair.

"What happened?" Psychemon asked.

"We appeared near an ocean where there was another Gesomon. He dropped me and went straight to the water." Sayuri smiled. "He just wanted to go home."

Psychemon began to shake. "I need... food."

Sayuri nodded. "We'll get you some right-"

Psychemon flashed and devolved to Tsunomon, who was little more than a head with a horn on her forehead.

Hitomi blinked away some of her tears. "You got smaller."

Sayuri picked up her partner. "You used up too much energy, didn't you?"

"Yes," Tsunomon said tiredly.

"Then we'll make sure you get a nice meal and a good nap." Sayuri turned toward the vendor, who was staring at them in shock. "I'd like some hot dogs please. Make it your best special."

Tsunomon smiled. "Sounds good."

"S-sure thing." The guy went straight to work.

Sayuri then noticed something on the computer. The web browser just activated and loaded to a private message board with a message from Koushiro asking who opened the portal.

"Can I borrow this for a second?" Sayuri asked.

"What are you going to do?" the vendor questioned.

"Just reply to the message my friend just posted on it," Sayuri replied.

The vendor leaned over. "How?"

"He's a hacker of some skill," Sayuri replied.

"No, I'm a hacker. That shouldn't be possible." The vendor sighed. "I knew Windows had holes in its security, but that's nuts. Boss should have went with UNIX." He pulled the keyboard out from behind the counter. "Here."

"Thanks." Sayuri bowed slightly. She then typed in a quick reply of who she was and what she sent through. She got a message back quickly.

"Yum." Tsunomon chirped. "These are great. What's in them?"

"You don't want to know," the vendor replied.

"What do you remember when you first saw him?" Sayuri asked.

"We heard a squishy like noise and Hitomi went toward the cave where he was in," Tsunomon replied before eating another hot dog whole.

"He then gave me a REALLY tight hug." Hitomi pouted.

"Do you know if anyone has seen it before today?" Sayuri asked the clerk.

"There's been a rumor of it from a couple kids going into that cove recently of a big monster for the past couple days. Before that there was a strange marks in the sand a week ago of something that might have come in from the sea." The vendor shook his head. "No one took it seriously."

"Thanks." Sayuri typed the information into the computer.

"You do have enough money to pay for this?" the vendor asked.

"I've got more than enough," Sayuri replied. She then noticed that Tsunomon had eaten eight hot dogs so far and Hitomi had two. "So much for getting that import country CD this week."

"Those things are expensive," the vendor commented.

Sayuri shrugged and then saw a message come back from Koushiro. "Seems that Gesomon might have been a left over from the Christmas invasion of zero-two."

"A long time to be away from home," Tsunomon commented.

"Is everything safe?" Tomoe asked tentatively.

"No more weird creatures, right?" Michiru questioned.

"Just the normal beach bums," Sayuri answered.

"Are you going to be doing this stuff often?" Tomoe asked.

Sayuri sighed. "Yes. It's my job now to deal with stuff like this."

"Could you try to make sure we're not around when that happens?" Michiru asked.

Sayuri looked down. "I can't promise you that. These battles can occur anywhere. Though, as a Chosen, I'm more likely to be at a place where I'm needed to help."

"So this kind of stuff will start to happen normally around you," Tomoe concluded.

Sayuri closed her eyes. "I'm afraid so."

Michiru shook her head. "This is going to make school a LOT more interesting."

"Can you at least promise that the next one won't have tentacles. I just saw one of my brother's anime tapes and..." Tomoe shuddered. "...that thing looked too much like a demon in it." She shuddered again.

Sayuri blinked. "You're not going to stop being my friends?"

Michiru shook her head. "We have to see you in school anyway. And if trouble shows up, you can deal with it." She then sat next to Sayuri. "Now let's get back to our little discussion on Iori. Just why do you like him?"

"He's a Chosen too, right?" Tomoe guessed.

Sayuri nodded slowly. "Yeah. He's the leader of my team. The only other member is Yume, and she has a large crush on him."

"Damn. Monkey in the middle. Feel sorry for the guy." Tomoe shook her head.

"If he doesn't like the attention," Michiru commented flatly.

"He hates it," Sayuri stated.

"Are you sure?" Michiru pressed.

Sayuri nodded. "It makes him frustrated and flustered. While it's Yume who flirts with him, I have to admit... he's REALLY cute when he's like that."

The girls broke out into giggles.

Hitomi pouts. "What's the fuss? Boys are icky."

"You'll find not all boys are bad," Tsunomon said.

"Nope. All boys are meanies." Hitomi huffed. "Sayuri should stay away from him, or she'll get in trouble."

----------------------

Author's Notes:
This episode was probably more important for me, than the general story. I needed to flesh out Sayuri's character so I know how to better use her later in the series.


Koushiro's Files:

Wataru Sayuri

Age 10

Third Odaiba Group

Tsunomon, Psychemon, Shima Unimon

Family: Mother, Father, Hitomi (little sister)

Sayuri is a take charge kind of girl. Described as being too stubborn for her own good. She has not tried to interfere with Iori being the leader of the third group, but that may be because she does recognize that he is the one with the most experience. Besides, it appears she has a crush on him, though she is much more reserved about it than Yume.

Sayuri is protective of others, mainly since she's had to take care of her little sister.