Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ War Diaries: Adventures Zero-Three ❯ What Dreams May Come ( Chapter 25 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Iori could only watch what his anger has wrought once again. This time it was not angel digimon whom he did not know. Scorpiomon was tearing to shreds his fellow Chosen.

Jyou was speared in the back when he jumped in the way to protect Mimi. She did not have long to mourn her lover as Scorpiomon bludgeoned her to death with Jyou's dead body.

Hanumon roared in her own anger, but that ended when Scorpiomon grabbed her in his claws and ripped her into two.

War Greymon and Metal Garurumon arrived on the scene and Iori knew what their objective had to be. If they failed to stop... to kill Scorpiomon, they would have to kill him.

A dark cloud exploded from Scorpiomon, obscuring his position on the battlefield. The Ultimate digimon launched their largest area attacks at the cloud. The ground quacked from the force of the impacts, yet as the cloud was blown apart, no sign of Scorpiomon remained.

From a nearby pillar of rock, Scorpiomon leapt onto War Greymon's back, not to attack the Ultimate digimon but to bisect Taichi who was standing one the draconian warrior's shoulder. Before Metal Garurumon could fully turn and launch his attack, Scorpiomon jumped, sailing over the metallic wolf and decapitating Yamato with it mandibles. Both digimon, without their partners quickly faded back into baby digimon, which were quickly eaten.

With the loss of Taichi and Yamato, retreat would've been the best option. To wait for Scorpiomon to use up his energy and devolve. Sora's grief did not allow her to think as she suicidally charged the dark digimon. Birdramon managed to spray fire over the unholy scorpion, then her own and Sora's guts as Scropiomon's hideous claw found it's mark, rending both onto death.

Sayuri grabbed Yume and forced her onto Shima Unimon's back in a bid to run away. The rough terrain did not allow for the unicorn to get up to full gallop. It did not impede Scorpion at all. In fact hopping from rocky pillar to rocky pillar seemed to make the creature faster.

With a final lunge, Scorpiomon landed on Shima Unimon and the two girls. The unicorn was then stabbed by the scorpion's stinger and Sayuri took the back side of the claw, splattering her body against a boulder.

Yume, frozen in fear, didn't move as the hideous insect grabbed her by the feet with his mandibles. She did scream as it slowly began to eat her. "Iori-sama! Help me!"

Iori did not move to aid. He only smiled as her screams finally ended.

-----------

War Diaries

Entry 23 - What Dreams May Come

By Lord Archive

Digimon and most characters in this series belong to Akiyoshi Hongo and Toei Animation Inc. They are used without consent.

What was reported to be the next chapter of War Diaries was posted separately as 'Diaries Movie The Greatest Meeting' as it affects and crosses over with several other Diaries series.

For Red Digivice Diaries readers: This chapter occurs days after RDD 22 and weeks before RDD 21.

-----------

Iori's yawn as he arrived at school was quickly echoed by Sayuri. "Bad dreams?"

Sayuri nodded. "Taichi, Daisuke and you ordered me to obliterate a village of digimon. You all gave me good reason why and I obeyed even though I knew there were innocent digimon there." She then pouted. "How about you?"

"I became the new Kaiser with Armadimon dark evolved," Iori grumbled.

"Well, I had a wonderful dream, even if some dark digimon tried to crash it," Yume piped in. "Found out Sakura was behind the attack so I punched her in the face." She then blinked as her team leader pulled out his D-Terminal. "What are you doing?"

"Sending an email to Daisuke and Takeru asking if Sakura has any bruises," Iori replied.

Yume folded her arms. "It was only a dream."

"With the Dark Seed Children collecting dream artifacts, I doubt that." Iori's D-Terminal beeped, announcing he had received a new message. "Sakura is sporting is shiner on her right eye."

Yume huffed. "Served her right for trying to crash our wedding."

Iori blinked. "Huh?"

Yume waved her hands. "It's nothing! Just a dream, remember?" She quickly wheeled her way to her desk with Sayuri glaring at her the entire way.

Iori shook his head and quietly asked. "Anything special about that dream?"

"Maybe, I can't be sure. It was pretty distorted. I did write down all the details," Sayuri replied.

Iori nodded and quickly found his seat and noticed Yume was now glaring at Sayuri. He sighed, wondering what asshole of a kami decided to put his life in a bad harem anime.

-----------

Looking upon the Odaiba leadership, Iori frowned. "They've been getting to you as well?"

The elder Chosen nodded tiredly.

"Running around Mugendramon's city while being chased down by Tankmon, Hikari is sick and I got separated from Koushiro who has the medicine she needs," Taichi grumbled.

"Everyone deciding I'm some sort of freak and either turned their back on me or tried to kill me," Yamato groused.

Daisuke yawned. "Being trapped in a dark room with no exits."

"Having everyone Chosen, Digi-destined, their digimon, and just about everyone else in the world asking me different yet vitally important questions that I don't have any answers to give," Koushiro mumbled out.

"Everybody is dying around me, I know I could help save them, if I was a second faster they would live, but I fail each and every time," Sora almost whispered.

Iori sat heavily on the last available chair. "Saying that all we need to do is realize these are just dreams and we can take control of them is easier said than done. Yume was able to accomplish it, but she's the Chosen of Dreams. I've had little luck against my nightmare of killing all of you and liking it."

"Isn't that a nice thought." Daisuke forced a chuckle. "We should've canceled this meeting and took a nap considering the Dark Seed kids just went ten rounds with Edmonton. They're the ones liable to have nightmares after dealing with that crazy team."

"Why didn't I think of that?" Sora pulled out her D-Terminal. "I'm sending an e-mail to everyone to get some sleep now while we have the chance."

"That's a temporary solution, but it hardly solves the problem. With the Dark Seeds they don't need as much sleep as we do. As long as they keep these attacks up, we'll be useless when they launch their next attack," Taichi warned.

"And the next attack may be in Tokyo," Koushiro added. "While there are a lot of things associated with dreams, the Dark Seed children are going after the most powerful of them. The greatest remaining item is the Imperial Mirror of Dreams."

"As in the Emperor of Japan's Imperial Mirror?" Sora questioned.

Koushiro nodded. "I've got warning devices set up to give us an alarm for when they make their move. And you can be sure they'll do it in the middle of the night when they're normally hitting us with nightmares as even if we wake up to the alarm, we'll be too tired to fight them."

-----------

"When I have achieved my rightful power, I'm going to personally blow Edmonton off the map," hissed a Plotmon with black fur around it's right eye. She jumped up onto a large rock in the bizarre realm that was the dimension of dreams.

"Oh, is the widdle puppy upset at those crazies?" Hitochi mocked.

"Puppy howling!" was the reply, sending the boy painfully onto his ass.

"No need to get your panties in a bunch, Sakura, if you had any on," Yuri teased. "I certainly don't want to face them again. Sora's little sister evolving into a digimon, the little girl with an Ultimate digimon. And why in the hell did that one digimon yell 'spoon' when he jumped into battle?"

"You can't forget the mad scientist they've got," muttered a robed, humanoid giant.

"At least you got to be a powerful Wisemon, Hiroshi. I'm a pathetic dog," Sakura-Plotmon retorted.

"Doubt this was the effect he was going for," Hiroshi-Wisemon returned. "I believe he was trying to make our digimon randomly turn into weaker forms. It's a good thing his gun shorted out after it hit us. He might've succeeded."

Sakura-Plotmon concentrated. Darkness erupted around her and when it faded Sakura was human once again. "At least we have a means to undo the damage."

Hiroshi-Wisemon followed Sakura's example and his body seemed to explode away leaving the young teenager in his place. He then looked over at his injured allies. "I doubt we're in position to give anyone nightmares right now."

"We can't let up on them," Sakura shot back. "They can't have a moment's rest."

Hitochi rubbed his ears. "Doesn't help when we need the rest as much as they do."

"We may not be able to press them as hard as we normally would, but any sort of bad dream will hurt them," Yuri pointed out.

"I'll make sure they get a real nightmare," Sakura vowed.

-----------

"Iori-sama, I made an extra bento for you!" Yume chirped.

"No, Iori-sempai, try the one I made!" Sayuri insisted.

Iori sighed. He knew this would happen some day, that the competition for him would go beyond verbal sparring. To take both would encourage the girls, to take one would be a sign of him choosing, to take neither would insult their efforts. He had no ability to eat both of them, yet he could not throw away any food.

"Iori doesn't want food from little girls," Miyako chided. "He'd rather have a real woman's lunch." She held up a bento box.

"Wha?" Iori gasped.

"Leave Iori alone. If he's going to have anyone's lunch, it'll be mine," Sora insisted.

"A pure lunch would be better," Mimi cooed.

Iori clutched his head. This was all a bad dream. It could not be real.

"You can't be doing this to poor Iori," Hikari yelled at the girls. "After all, he's the father of my baby. If he eats anyone's food, it'll be mine."

"WAIT! I never was with you!" Iori protested.

Hikari slithered up to him. "Don't you remember the hands on sex education I gave you? Seems you're more potent than Takeru."

"Never happened!" Iori denied.

"Iori-sempai how could you?" Sayuri demanded with tears.

"You'll need to make it up to me," Yume insisted. "You'll have to make me a mother as well!"

"WHAT?!" Iori cried out in panic.

Sora grabbed Iori's arm. "Not so fast! He'll father mine first!"

Miyako latched on to the other arm. "Over my dead body. He'll be with me next."

Sayuri took hold of his leg. "Iori your responsibility is to me!"

The other leg was taken by Mimi. "He'll be mine."

Yume hugged his head. "He's mine!"

All five girls began to pull Iori in separate direction, making him cry out in pain.

Iori sat up in his bed, panting heavily. "I think I'd rather have the Kaiser dream."

-----------

Yume opened her eyes and saw a dark figure standing above her with a dagger with a purple glint from the light shining from outside her bedroom window. She swung her arm and struck the figure, which the outside light illuminated to be Sakura.

"Time to pay you back!" Sakura lunged at the crippled girl.

Yume willed her legs to move, but they failed to respond. This was no dream. She tried to block the dagger, yet received a nasty gashed on her arm. She immediately punched her attacker with all her strength, knocking Sakura onto her ass.

Bakumon woke startled by the commotion The pigmy elephant growled and proceeded to headbutt the downed girl.

Sakura shakily rolled away and grinned at her bloodied knife. "I've had my revenge." She then leapt out of the room into Lady Devimon's waiting arms.

Bakumon whirled toward her partner. "Yume, are you all right?!"

Yume fell over and slowly slid off the bed, her eyes open yet unseeing, unmoving.

"YUME?!" Bakumon cried out in anguish.

-----------

Doctor Kido walked into a conference room at his hospital. It was far safer to address those waiting for the condition of his newest patient. He looked nervously at the girl's parents, older brother and her large number of friends, both children and digimon, including his own youngest son.

"Is Yume going to be all right?" Iori questioned before anyone else could.

"I'm afraid I can't answer that." Dr. Kido sighed. "All we can tell is that Yume has been poisoned. Whatever the substance on the knife that stabbed her was, it's unlike anything we've ever seen. Government agents have taken a sample of her blood, and we've yet to learn if they've had any luck figuring it out. As the poison may originate from the Digital World or some other dimension, we do not know how to properly treat it. Her vital signs are steady, but we do not know how long it will last or what kind of damage the poison is doing to her. I'm sorry. I won't rest until we have found a means to beat this."

"Thanks, Dad," Jyou told him somberly.

"I'm afraid that since this is so new, we will be limiting visitations to her immediate family for the time being. If the poison was also somehow contagious, it could prove beyond dangerous, especially if it indeed has a Digital World component to it," Dr. Kido informed them. "As it so far doesn't show any signs of being transmittable we're not quarantining her, but we will be placing restrictions on those who have contact with her."

"When can we see her?" Mrs. Togashi asked desperately.

"I'll guide you to her room in a moment," Dr. Kido answered.

Iori clenched his fists. "I understand. Please take good care of her."

"Of course." Dr. Kido nodded. He then looked at his son. "Jyou, I'm afraid we should avoid contact until we know more about the poison. I won't be coming home for the next week as a precaution. If one of you ends up injured, you will be sent to a different hospital unless this poison may be involved."

-----------

Author's Notes:

Coming Next: Chapter 24 - Call of Duty

With Yume in a coma, the Odaiba Chosen begin plans to strike back.