Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Why Love Letters Are A Pain ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
WHY LOVE LETTERS ARE A PAIN
Part 2

By Robster80


Notice: I do NOT OWN any of the characters used in this story.




TK awoke to the song "Do you believe in us," coming from his alarm clock. Sleepily, he rubbed his eyes open before he checked his calendar. It was Saturday, and the time was 9:30AM.

"Today's the day. I'd better get ready for her coming over."


****************************************************** **************************


"That's strange," Matt said, combing his now gelled hair. "I have this nagging feeling I've forgotten something about today. And that TK's involved somehow.

"Maybe I should go ask him about this. Hope he doesn't have plans this afternoon."


************************************************* *******************************


Kari was going through her wardrobe, trying to decide what to wear over to TK's. She had been doing this ever since she woke up, and that was over two hours ago. She had missed breakfast and was still in her pajamas.

"This is getting me nowhere!"

She threw the two dresses in her hands to the floor, tired of it all.

"Oh the heck with it!"

Kari walked over to her dresser and pulled out her usual outfit: Pink and white tank top, yellow shorts, and pink socks and gloves.

"I'll just stick with the regular look. He always liked it, anyway."

After dressing, Kari exited her room, but paused at the bathroom door.

"However… a touch of perfume and lipstick wouldn't hurt, right?"


***************************************************** ***************************


Staring into her mirror, Sora was trying to decide if she wanted to wear her hairclip or not. TK had said that it was pretty, but it was something Tai had given her and TK knew that.

"Should I? Shouldn't I? I just don't know."

Picking her outfit had been easy enough. She had decided on one of the outfits Mimi had given her over the years: a red tubetop and black jeanshorts. Sora had actually worn it one time, and nearly gave Davis and Ken nosebleeds after they saw her in it.

"I didn't have a hairclip on that time. …Well, that settles it, then."

Sora put the clip down and looked at her watch. It was 1:30.

"Better start walking. Takeru's apartment isn't just across the street."


**************************************************** ****************************


Mimi practically skipped out into the street as she left her building that afternoon. She was wearing a tight white shirt and blue jeanshorts that had the legs cut off just near the top of her thighs. This caused several guys to turn their heads at her as she moved on. Several of them got slapped by the girls they were with, who glared daggers at Mimi.

She didn't notice, nor care. TK was on her mind at the time, and to her nothing else mattered. She could see him, waiting for her at his place. There'd be candlelight, soft music, slow dancing with her head resting on his chest. The thought of it made her blush madly.

"Mimi?!"

Mimi stopped dead in her tracks and whirled around. Sora was standing a few feet from her, a little surprised. Mimi was surprised, too, especially at Sora's outfit. She looked liked she was on a hot date.

"Sora! Er, what a coincidence meeting you out here!"

"Likewise."

Sora was very nervous, though she didn't show it much. She knew Mimi also liked TK, more than a friend. Mimi knew about how Sora felt about TK as well

[Stay cool, girl,] they thought at the same time. [She doesn't know where you're heading to, and that's how it's gonna stay.]

"So, where you headed dressed to kill, Sora?"

"Nowhere special. Most of my clothes are in the wash, so I kinda had to throw these on. Er, how about you?"

"Uh, yeah! Me, too! Think I'll… hit a dance club early."

"Well, see you later, okay?"

"Yeah, bye!"

With that, they turned down a different path and walked away from each other. [I think it worked,] they both thought.

[Now I'll just circle around and get back on track to Takeru's.]

Minutes later, the girls found themselves back on the right street. However, they also found themselves side-by-side, but they didn't stop walking.

"Hey, are you following me, Mimi?"

"No. …Are you following me?"

Sora picked up the pace a little. "Of course not."

Mimi also gained speed. "Are you sure?"

Suddenly, it hit them. Their destination was the same. Now they were exchanging angry looks and walking very fast.

"You're not getting there before me, Mimi!"

"Like you're gonna outrun me! Remember, you traded in your soccer shoes for tennis shoes years ago!"

"TK's expecting me, and I haven't lost my track record yet!"

"Oh no, you don't! Takeru's only got time for one girl, and that's me!"

"OH YEAH, PINKY?!"

"YOU BET, FLOWER GIRL!"

The two girls suddenly broke into a run, Sora taking a slight lead. Not wanting to be left behind, Mimi tried to pick up the pace. They ran down the street until they came to an intersection and split up again: Mimi going left, and Sora going right.

[This'll shake her!]


******************************************************* *************************


The ringing doorbell turned TK away from the table he was setting. He had just added candles and a pack of matches before it rang. He checked his watch. [She's early,] he thought while heading for the door.

Before he opened it, he checked himself in the mirror. His hair was combed, and he was wearing a white buttoned shirt and brown dress shorts. He checked the eye glass, and then frowned slightly before opening the door.

"Looking sharp, kiddo," Matt said, walking into the apartment. "Your regular clothes in the wash?"

TK closed the door. "If this is a joke, Matt, I'm not laughing. You know I had plans today."

"That's sorta why I'm here, bro. You see, I have this nagging feeling that I'm forgetting something about today, and I was wondering if you could help me. Say, what's with the table? I thought mom was away until Monday."

TK walked over to Matt, who was now by the table. His arms were crossed, and a serious expression was on his face.

"Yamato Ishida, how could you forget?!"

Matt blinked at TK, clueless. "You know me, TK. This has happened before."

"You knew it was important to me that I needed the apartment to myself today."

That nagging feeling came back to Matt, stronger this time. [Why do I get the feeling I should be rushing out the door right now?] He walked over to the kitchen counter and eyed the fruit basket. "How about shedding some light, TK?"

"SHE'S coming over today at 2, remember? That is, I assume she is. Did you give her the letter you wrote for me?"

Matt, who had reached out for an apple, stopped dead in his tracks. He remembered what he had forgotten: TK's BIG date. "…Oh no…"

"You didn't give it to her?!"

Matt slowly turned to face his little brother, a hand behind his head. He smiled weakly, cold sweat coming out like bullets. "Er, yes… and no…" Matt then took a step as if he was ready to bolt.

TK was one step quicker, however. He grabbed his brother by the shirt. "Okay, big brother, you're not leaving here until you give me a straight answer!"

"Actually, I just remembered! I have band practice in a few minutes, and I'm running late-!"

"Nice try, Matt. Remember, I have a copy of your schedule, and your practice isn't until 6 tonight. So, you gonna talk, or do I have to break out the scissors?"

Just then, several shouts were coming from outside the apartment door. TK looked at it for a moment, and then slowly turned to glare slightly at Matt.

"What did you do, Matt?"

Matt wished he had time to write out his will as TK began to drag him to the door.


******************************************************* *************************


Once she was at the right floor, Sora dragged herself out of the stairwell of TK's building. Her breaths came in heavy pants, but a smile was on her face.

[I beat Mimi here! Yes!]

She walked over to the elevator door and leaned aside it to catch her breath. A light chime sounded as the door opened and Mimi stepped out, also panting a little.

[Take that, Sora!]


They slowly looked at each other, and then jumped back in surprise.

"MIMI!"

"SORA!"

Realization hit them again, giving them back their breath. They stood face-to-face in front of the elevator, which was now closed, glaring at each other.

"Look here," Sora exclaimed. "I got here first, so why don't you take a hike?!"

Mimi crossed her arms. "You may be older than me, Sora, but you're NOT my big sister, or my mother! Speaking of age, have you no shame in chasing a guy younger than you?"

"Well, look who's talking! Isn't Takeru two years YOUNGER than you are?"

"Two is a better number than THREE. As in two's company and three is a CROWD! Get my drift? Now, if you'll excuse me, Takeru's waiting."

With that, Mimi tried to calmly walk past Sora. Sora, however, had other plans. She quickly kicked one of Mimi's feet during mid-step, causing the younger girl to fall on her face.

"I'll tell Takeru that you said hello," Sora said smugly, walking away. "Have a nice trip, and see you next fall."

It was Sora's turn to stop as Mimi had gotten up and ran in front of her at an inhuman speed. "Okay, tomboy," Mimi snarled, rolling up her one sleeve. "You wanna fight? Let's get it on!"

Unbeknownst to the two girls, the elevator door opened again and a person stepped out.

Sora cracked her knuckles. "Fine by me. One ass-whoopin', coming right-!"

"Hi, Mimi. Hi, Sora."

Both girls froze, staring at each other in slight shock. They knew that voice very well.

"Was that…"

"…Kari?!"

They turned to look. It was indeed Kari, dressed in her usual clothes, but she was wearing some perfume. Both girls could smell it.

Suddenly, they faced each other again.

"You don't think she's…"

"Is Izzy a computer geek?"

By now, Kari was out of sight. Sora and Mimi dashed to the corner of the hall and saw that she was just about to reach TK's apartment.

"Why that little-!"

"She's not getting away-!"


***************************************************** ***************************


Kari was excited all over as she stepped into the elevator, but she kept it to herself. Davis would have to stop chasing her now. TK was going to ask her to be his girlfriend.

[I shouldn't be thinking like that! TK's more than just a way out of Davis' affection. He's the guy I've loved for so long. He's there for me, he's kind… there's too many things about him I can't just explain about why I feel for him like this.]

She was so absorbed in her state of mind that she didn't really notice Sora and Mimi arguing when she got off at TK's floor.

"Hi, Mimi. Hi, Sora."

It never occurred to her why they were on that floor, or what they were arguing about. She just kept walking down to TK's door.

[I wonder if I should have worn lipstick. Oh well, too late now.]

Kari then stopped. TK's door was right in front of her. She suddenly felt nervous, and took several deep breaths. [Just ring the bell. He's expecting you, after all.]

Suddenly, a large shadow fell over Kari, causing her to pause.

"Kari."

Kari knew those voices, and neither of them were Davis. She slowly turned to see Mimi and Sora standing over her, both were dressed to kill and frowning. It came back to Kari that she wasn't the only girl who was in love with TK. Anger replaced her nervousness.

"And what do you two think you're doing here?"

And that was when it started.

"I was invited over!"

"You?! I was asked to come here!"

"No, I was!"

"Takeru invited me! He sent me this note, see?"

"Oh yeah? I got one myself!"

"So did I, toots! And I got mine first!"

"Says you, kid! Takeru likes his girls older and more mature!"

"That leaves you out, Mimi!"

"You're too old for Takeru to be interested in, granny!"

"YOU'RE a flirt, and Takeru doesn't waste his time on flirts!"

"WHY YOU-!"

The girls were so busy arguing and fighting each other that they didn't notice the door open. TK and Matt took one look at the fight and stepped back a little in surprise. [What the heck-?!]

None of the girls noticed the guys were watching them, and they went on fighting. Finally, TK spoke up. "Um, excuse me?"

The yelling stopped and the girls froze. Kari was on Sora's back, pulling her hair while one foot was on Mimi's shoulder; Mimi had one hand on Kari's leg and one on Sora's right arm, and Sora, caught in the middle, had her free hand in Mimi's hair while the other was trying to pull Kari down. All three were staring at TK, blushing deep red.

"Forgot I had a doorbell?"

All three girls quickly separated and stood next to each other, still red. "H-hi, Takeru," they said at once.

TK said nothing but looked down at the floor. Three papers were at the girls' feet, face up. TK reached down and picked them up to examine them, still holding Matt by his shirt. After he scanned the writing on each letter, TK turned to glare at Matt, who was still sweating and smiling weakly.

"So, you delivered the letter for me after you wrote it?"

The girls exchanged glances. TK hadn't written the letter to them?

Matt tried to talk his way out of getting a beating. "Hey, you're the one who was too chicken to write one your-!"

"And WHO offered to write it for me, hm?"

"O-okay… I'm guilty."

Kari then spoke up. "Okay, if Matt wrote the letters, then why did we each get one?"

TK tightened his grip. "That's just what I was about to ask! After all, I did tell you-."

Panicked, matt spat it out. "Okay, okay! I wasn't paying attention when you told me who to write it to, so I… I wrote three copies and slipped them in their mailboxes and hoped I got the right one out of them!"

"You didn't know," Mimi raised her voice.

Sora chimed in. "What the heck were you thinking, you baka?!"

TK raised a hand to stop the three girls from advancing. He knew they had a right to be angry, but so did he. "Lemme get this straight," he said in a neutral tone. "You sent the letter, my letter, to all three?"

"H-hey, at least I didn't send Jun one."

TK calmly pushed Matt back into the apartment before he faced the girls. "Go home," he said. "I'll straighten this all out later."

Before any of the girls could protest, especially Mimi, TK had closed the door and locked it.

Sora crossed her arms. "No way am I leaving until I get a chance to talk to-!"

"DIE YOU GONNA!!!!"

The sounds of bloody murder and mayhem from TK's apartment cut Sora off. Matt, it seemed, was getting the licking of his life as he cried out for mercy and forgiveness. TK was yelling, too, but in anger.

All the girls just stared at the door as the commotion went on behind it. Mimi, shocked by TK's anger, took a step back. "Maybe… we should come back later!" With that, she took off for the elevator.

Sora looked at Kari, said "What she said," and then also ran off down the hall.

Kari just stood there, waiting for the beating to finish. Suddenly, TK threw the door open and dragged a beaten Matt out into the hall. His eye caught Kari, but his anger was still present. "I thought I said for you and the others to go home!"

Her anger rising again, Kari pointed at Matt. "I want the leftovers."

TK looked at the dazed Matt, and the pushed him at Kari's feet. "Here! And don't talk to me for a while until I can figure out what to do next."

Kari just nodded, even thought TK had went back inside his apartment. She picked up Matt by his collar as he looked at her, still a little dazed.

"Am I alive?"

Kari smiled sinisterly. "Not for long, Yamato. Takeru's done with you, but now it's my turn."

Matt paled. "…God save my broken little body…"



TO BE CONCLUDED…

Gotsumon: (Nelson laugh) Ha, ha! Matt got a whoopin'!

Asuka: Ja, but we still don't know which girl was supposed to get the actual letter.

R80: Sorry, toots, you'll have to wait till part 3.

Asuka: (Slaps R80) You jerk!

R80: Sweet-talking won't change my mind.

Skeletor: That was sweet-talking?

Gotsumon: (To audience) Stay tuned!