Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction / Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction / Cowboy Bebop Fan Fiction / Gundam Wing Fan Fiction / Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / Tenchi Muyo Fan Fiction ❯ Urbania ❯ The Last Battle ( Chapter 20 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Serena didn't feel herself lift from Ryo's side, and she didn't hear Ryo's desperate call. She was armed, she knew, but she didn't think about it. As she was walking in a slow-motion stride, some great, horrendous wind swept open the tent flap again and again. By the grace of Lucifer, Patricia was still standing there, aimed with hell-bent perfection at Serena. Serena, and not Relena, who killed Loyal Six. Or had she forgotten that already? It was possible. The tent flaps flipped open once more, to inhale Serena into the very blood of disorder.

Her hands crossed her chest as she continued on the strewn, trodden path to the still-aiming Patricia, yanking from her sides a semi-automatic and an elongated hard thing. Serena matched Patricia's aim, only now both guns were on both foreheads.

And they stood like that, slightly-taller Patricia and very pregnant Serena. Patricia was making a deal of pressing as a hard as she could as if Serena's head would sooner implode than her own. Serena mimicked Patricia's every bit of pressure and distance was painstakingly kept. Patricia and Serena, standing in the middle of hundreds upon thousands of women stabbing all around and gunning each other down, just standing there, held by both's utter refusal to move and kill to be killed. A strange, unexpected weight fell on their feet, and two pairs of blue eyes widened. Without looking down and getting blown away, they agreed wordlessly that the inanimate something at their feet was one of their fallen brethren. The guns were sheathed, and the chiming shing! of kunai being snatched from their holsters turned every head that heard. Serena took two running steps to Patricia, who took two running steps to Serena. A woman Serena vaguely recognized shot out between them, and aimed two inches from Serena, who was surprised, and fell out of harm's way, suffering only a burning graze along the curve of her hip. Assuming she'd fallen, the other woman launched off. Serena threw her kunai, and slit the back of the woman's thigh open, visibly severing her huge muscles. Serena ignored her anguished yelp and dove for her weapon, narrowly missing another of Patricia's soldiers. Spinning around on her butt, she faced her attacker, and in one clean swipe, detached her right attacking arm. There was a shower of screaming and red; Serena wiped her face and shot into a stance. The moment she sensed another presence, she turned and her cheek was cut. She gasped, ducked, rolled and stabbed her new attacker deeply, immediately turning recklessly to mark whomever this was grinding against her back. She cried out and her weapon flew through the air to stab, and stopped not one centimeter too soon as she recognized a member of the southern brigade. She stopped hard, nearly losing her balance, and slashed instead her ally's current opponent. She whirled around to a random spot to look for a fight. Her eyes locked in Patricia's ridiculous worlds.

"We will meet again," their eyes decided. Patricia raised her kunai to the middle of her face, holding it vertically, slender-ways, and looking at Serena, a look that defied human description. No, there was one word to give it justice: malevolent, and nothing else. Serena raised her kunai, and ran at the next available enemy, crucifying her.

It didn't make sense what was going on. Serena was as dizzy as a hard-on focused woman could be. She slashed here and there, this way and that way, but the more she killed, the more that need to be killed. With every rise and fall of the blade, with every spurt, drop, or splash of blood being spilled, something inside her died, and she was completely powerless to stop it, any of it.

"Ahh!" she screamed, stabbing one body over and over and over and over…

Punch.

Serena last felt such disorientation when Heero hit her head with the butt of his rifle. The memory of the hateful injury sprayed pain all over her head, pain that sought to infest her partially-owned body. She fell from her feet and rolled, losing sight of the legs that grounded her. She panted, groaning and heaving and breathing like a desperate asthmatic. Her long hair was stepped all over, and she pushed herself into on hands and knees. Where was her kunai? She about-faced and crawled in the direction of her kunai, undoubtedly stuck in the body she was mutilating. The same legs as before found her again, and she slipped out of the corresponding arms' grip. She spotted the figure that bore her prized defense, and continued on hands and knees to the battered corpse. Huge boots stepped on both of her hands. She cried out. Careless legs kicked her on either side of her back, shoulders, and buttocks. She could see them coming, and she sacrificed some other, more useless part of her body to save her only child any injury. Her hands were getting tender, and her left eye had less sight than the right. One jacket sleeve had been cut off, and her entire arm was dotted with various cuts and painful bruises. She still shuffled as fast as she could along the bloody ground, her hands slipping out from under her more than once, impacting her jaw and cheek. She could finally reach out and touch her blade, yanking once, slipping without success, and yanking hard enough to release it a second time. She heaved with unenthusiastic triumph as she griped the little blade for all she was worth. She scrambled to her feet, using an occupied enemy's jacket to pull herself up, that enemy losing her life in being distracted. Serena immediately whipped around to see where the deadly legs had gone to. They were two weaklings away. She shot both of them and threw herself at the legs, gazing densely into their owner's face. The grip on her kunai waned away completely and she dropped it. Petrifying shock stopped the entire world from spinning out of control and tossing every human off the face of the earth.

"Darien!"

Her former pro-women's rights boyfriend looked down on her and her massive stomach that wasn't his doing, for her only knew her as a virgin, and a virgin when they broke up.

"Serena," he seethed, raising his hand to her. Her body paralyzed, her eyes followed Darien's knife-armed hand high in the air, his look nothing short of pernicious hatred. It fell devastatingly, cutting thorough the air effortlessly, and then Serena's chest as if it was not there. Still unable to move, her eyes, those terrified blue beauties, could only see Darien's huge hand in a fist below her collar bone. Then he began to push. And then the pain came.

It was a pain of the numbing sort. It was a pain efficacious of murder and genocide. It hit her all at once, and it was too overwhelming for her to register that Darien was, in fact, trying to kill her. But that would be too easy. Serena's death, and only Relena would need to die and the northern and southern brigades were on their own. But Serena was alone as she thought these, her last thoughts. She hadn't seen any of her comrades since the ambush, and what about Ryo and Baby of Ryo's?

She was on her knees before she knew it, Darien still grasped the knife, and was still pushing. He was going to push her into the ground.

Deep, like a seed.

Don't worry, the ocean will water me.

"No!"

She pulled out her handgun and shot and shot and shot and shot. "Darien! NO!"

Darien's hand was gone from the hilt of the knife, and Serena had a knife sticking out of her chest. She was furious. She snatched for her kunai. It wasn't there, she realized, looking where it had fallen. Serena looked about. There were not very many standing. Most were about where she was right then: on the ground, just not sitting up. She looked and looked some more, and then saw her pink-wrapped kunai in the hands of one of Patricia's bitches. She rose to her feet and pushed her way to the woman's side, handing her a punch in the ear so great, Serena herself yelled in pain of her fist. She took back her weapon and looked feverishly about. Most of the women standing were either of the northern or southern brigade, and bits and pieces of Patricia and Nadine's forces were surrendering or being killed, silenced and sniped. Where are you, Patricia? Where?

Serena would know if Patricia was dead. Patricia wouldn't die until she and Serena had settled their differences. Until then, Patricia would be comatose before rightfully dead.

"PATRICIA!" she used every bit of her voice and some of her strength. Huffing and puffing, her sight shot off in every direction. Also, having revealed herself to some that wanted her head specifically, they rushed toward her. To them, she couched low, shooting to disable and slash those who continued to come. She realized she wasn't shot at because they'd run fresh out of cartridges. She shot off a few more and popped out the empty shell, popping out another in the same second. Small and fast, she sprinted through the crowd, slashing only those who could afford to oppose her. One was still significantly strong, and Serena ran right into her, falling back to the ground. Serena looked up ferociously to her. She looked ferociously up to Nadine. She looked ferociously up to Nadine from her fallen position and was aimed flawlessly at. Fear brought with it the pain of the knife in her chest.

"Go to he.."

A stumping sound in Nadine's back stopped her mid-good-bye. She stumbled out of the way. Relena, battered and bloody, held fast Serena's arms and pulled her up, a moment away from the breaking shock of an axe. Pushing Serena, Relena fired her last two bullets into the axe-wielder's head, and she fell in a red heap. Relena kissed Serena's forehead and ran off somewhere, tossing her gun astride and unsheathing a sword, with which she ran at arm's length. Serena made a perfect 180 turn and looked dead in Patricia's devious eyes, a few yards of blood-marinated corpses separating them. Of the thousands and thousands of women that had begun on this day of ambush, they were surrounded by the only survivors, mostly of the northern and southern brigades, less than one thousand. The fighting all around stilled, some here and there finished off in a heartbeat as a fourth-mile radius cleared for the Battle Royale, The Last Stand, The End, The Decider, Patricia and Serena. Patricia smiled at Serena.

"You know there's a knife in your chest, dear."

Serena looked at it. "I hadn't noticed. Thank you for bringing that to my attention"

"I'm warning you Serena. If you want to stay alive, drop your weapon and back to me. This is your last chance."

"I assume you haven't noticed what this war has eventually boiled down to?"

Patricia looked angrily to her.

"This was all completely unnecessary. This is all because you and I can't settle our differences. You're all for you, and I'm all for everyone else. And it's funny that after all this, the demolition of your team, the betrayal of those you held dear, and the perversion of your ideals, you would still have the nerve to ask me to your side. It's okay though," Serena's tone dropped a dark octave. "I'm scared, too."

Patricia's face was an unmistakable blue. "Wrong!"

"Liar!"

"You'll be sorry you didn't join me when you're dead!"

"When I'm dead, I'll be an old woman surrounded by friends, family, and grandchildren, and I'll be in heaven as a reward of living a virtuous life. So you can go fuck yourself, since trust me, no man or woman will."

"DIE!" Patricia hurtled a barrage of bullets at Serena who dodged, scrambled, and scurried out of the way of each of them. Her heaving chest exemplified the pain of her pierced chest. She wanted to fall and cry the pain away, but there was neither time nor occasion for such maladies of the soul. Patricia's shot quickly ran out, and she threw her gun and tension to the side, running at Serena with her clean kunai. Serena turned and met her with an ear-shaking ring. Serena took the opportunity to give Patricia a small sample punch, a punch that sent her sprawling to the ground, and dropping her kunai. Serena moved to stab her back, but Patricia recovered and pushed Serena some feet away, Serena hitting the ground on her butt. Patricia heaved at her a handful of shuriken. Serena gasped and lay down in a flash as some of them tore the flesh of her forehead. When she stood again, three more came at her. She blocked the side two, but the third caught her with a start.

"Serena!" cried Relena, held back by four comrades. Serena didn't fall, but spun around instead, showing Patricia one way it was useful to have a knife protruding from your chest. There hung the third shuriken.

"Godammit!" Patricia hollered, throwing down her remaining shuriken. She shed her shirt and stood in her bra, removing a small pistol from a strap. "Will you please fucking die?"

"Don't!" came a random voice. Serena, Relena, Patricia, and Nadine looked at the source of the voice. Ryo stood there. He wore a blood-stained shirt and held a pair of nun chucks dripping blood. He had been fighting, and he had survived. He was, in fact, standing, something that most of the women presently on the field were unable to do. He a mere twenty feet from the two warring figures, who were fifty feet apart. Patricia smiled, a lunatic smile. She slowly turned her aim away from Serena, away, away to the right, until it was almost completely perpendicular with the alignment of her body---and perpendicular to Ryo, too.

"Ryo," Serena muttered dumbly, deafening rage unable to help. Ryo took an astounded breath. Serena reached for Patricia. Relena screamed for Ryo's mercy.

"Ai shiteru, tousan."

And there was a shot.

A sharp, lonely thing, that everyone who was anyone heard.

For it was impossible not to hear.

Nobody didn't hear that shot.

That was not just any shot.

It was the shot.

And the shot was not shot by Patricia.

The shot was fired by Nadine.

The shot is what killed Patricia.

Nadine shot and killed Patricia.

"I'm so sorry, Patricia. But Serena was right. We were wrong. Don't worry. I'm coming." Nadine opened her mouth and inserted the gun, pointing it at her brain. The most deadly deep kiss one can give or receive. No one could stop her. Everyone was entirely too stunned, a visual tranquilizer having affected them all. Except Nadine, who was perfectly sober, and well enough to pull the trigger.

And she did.

And Patricia was dead. And Nadine was dead. And they lay on top of each other, because Patricia was possessed with the will of killing Serena, so she hadn't noticed in the least Nadine sneaking up on her. And she wouldn't have noticed anyone else. Patricia had sought to kill Serena. Allys, friends, enemies, murderers. When the little wind blew, the growing puddle of Patricia and Nadine's fiery blood wasn't deterred. Who knew if they were in heaven or hell.

Serena was staring blankly at the two bodies with utter disbelief. It didn't make sense. Patricia and Nadine were immortal…or were they just immoral?

The air suddenly smelled like blood and Ryo. The pain from the knife rained more plentifully than ever. It was because of great, strong arms about her shoulders hugging her with good intentions, but making more pain than she cared to deal with now, now that it was over.

"Ryo, my chest,"

"Oh, my God!"

Serena's pain pulled a blanket of unconsciousness over her abused mind.

*************************

Serena opened her eyes then. It was still day time, though the sun was quickly pooping out behind the safe horizon. She sat up-and clonked foreheads with Relena.

"Ow!"

"Ow!"

"Serena!"

"Relena!"

They embraced, kissing each other's cheeks, and holding tightly. Joy was overflowing through the space, absorbed by those standing about the joyous two as well. Serena let go of Relena suddenly, feeling her knife-ridden chest. Relena smiled and brushed her hair out of her face.

"Doctor Kushrenada said you'll be fine. The knife didn't hit your heart or lungs, but to definitely take it easy for a while. We all have to take it easy for a while."

The surrounding women and men laughed gently. Serena looked around for Ryo.

"Ryo? Where is he?"

"Here I am, Serena."

Serena looked at him. He was missing his bloody shirt, topless, and had on new pants. He looked like some sort of mundane savoir, battle-scarred chest, irresistible smile, the father of her child. He sat down on the ground beside Serena, who finally noticed that she was still in the same spot she had fainted in Ryo's arms. He snuggled her into his bandaged chest, and kissed the top of her head. She reached her battered arms around his healing form and squeezed him, wringing her eyes of tears.

"Oh, Ryo!" she wailed, "it's over! It's over! And we won! And we lived!"

"And," Ryo pushed her back in his embrace, with huge satisfied grin, "you were falling, so I caught you."

"Mm," Serena moaned, sliding her arms around Ryo's neck to kiss him, deeply, for now they could love in peace.

Some hour later, Serena escaped the victory celebration for a few solitary moments. She wasn't entirely surprised to see Relena and Heero embracing on the beach. She smiled. Their sweet, completely legal embrace broke with two adoring smiles and strokes of hair and face. They were the happiest couple on earth. Heero whispered something to Relena, and laughed riotously, Relena joining him in jovial agreement. Serena's smiled brightened. Heero kissed both of her hands then, obviously told her he loved her, and kissed her cheek. He took two steps away from her, and finally left go, walking away. He looked up into Serena's face. Light from the celebration fell on his face, making his blush visible. Serena's smile directed to Heero's display.

"She busy?"

"No," Heero said, looking down in embarrassment, smiling slightly.

"Good," Serena said, moving on to Relena's side. Heero grabbed her arm.

"Serena, I'm sorry. For everything I did to you. I'm not going to tell you not to take it personally, because it was directed at you personally. I-"

"It's over Heero. I forgive you if Relena does."

"She does."

"Then I do, pure and simple and sincere."

"My thanks," Heero accepted with a bow. Serena grinned and started for Relena again. "Serena." She about faced, still smiling, "that promise you wanted me to make when I brought you back to Ryo, you know, you don't leave him if I promise you something?"

"Yeah?" Serena took a step toward him, touched that he remembered.

"Well, what do you want me to promise? You were going to say it then, I know, but I cut you off."

Serena nodded wisely. "I promise never to leave Ryo if you promise to be a good love to Relena."

Heero looked slightly bewildered.

"Any idiot knew you loved and love her, Heero, and you knew how to show it. It's time to show it all the time."

"I promise. I can't wait." Heero pulled Serena into a mutual hug.

"Thank-you, Serena. Thank you."

She kissed his cheek. "Anyone Relena loves must be very special."

"I was thinking the same thing." Heero released her, kissed one of her hands, and took off to join the party, jogging off the sand and onto the blood-crusted pavement. Serena watched his back disappear into the party house. She looked at her target, who still watched the open ocean.

Relena heard Serena coming, and greeted her silently. The day was almost done, as nothing remained, but the sun's trail of distorted colors and wisps of torn clouds.

"So, leader," Relena turned and smiled insincerely, "what now?"

"What else? We rebuild Tokyo. It won't be as easy as destroying it, but we can do it in the space of some years, while we're still young enough to enjoy it, I know we can."

"What's this `we'? Is this faith in yourself I'm detecting, Miss Serena?"

"Mrs. Sanada." Serena corrected.

"Oh, excuse me, Mrs. Sanada."

"Excused. And yes, it is. I guess more than anything I had two options: win and live or lose and die. I couldn't have lived if we'd lost, neither with the loss of self-reliance or life itself, though I could have at the same time died and won. But now I know. I know what I can do."

"My brother would love to have heard that."

"I'll go tell him now!"

Relena smiled. "I hope not. For you to have survived being sold, beaten, degraded, freed, and butchered on the battlefield just to die to tell my brother something would be a waste beyond comprehension."

"What are you talking about?"

"My brother and Lucy were killed today."

Serena's heart dropped. "Are you serious?"

Relena looked at her incredulously. "Yes."

"Bless them both. They died for freedom. And they died for you."

"I know," she muttered, wiping a tear away on one dirty sleeve. "I know they'd be proud, of both me and Heero."

"Heero has grown, I noticed."

"Heero proposed."

Serena lit up. "And…"

"Of course I accepted." Relena smiled widely. She looped arms with Serena. They looked out at the rolling sea as the last of the day perished with the tide.

"So what about rebuilding our beloved Tokyo?" Relena said softly.

Serena shrugged. "I guess we start from the beginning."

"Which beginning?"

Serena looked thoughtful. "I don't guess that the people of Kyoto, Edo, or Heian really knew where they were going."

Relena nodded, looking out. "True."

They both breathed in the air, which seemed to have been reincarnated in a purer state. As the winds of change continued to blow, the scent was familiar, and welcome, to the relief of both women and men. It was the smell of freedom.

~*~

Urbania

~*~

Xoxo,

Alexandria the Great