Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Tempting the Fates ❯ Conflicts and Sunsets ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Hey everyone! Here is chapter 12! Still don't have my Internet back on so bear with me. Ne way, I'll try to update as much as I can but I still have no Internet n it's been a few weeks already. Thanks! Luv ya!

I don't own Sailor Moon or Dragonball Z.

Tempting the Fates

By: Rini

Chapter 12: Conflicts and Sunsets

Vegeta grabbed Serena's hand and lifted her up, princess-style, and blasted off into the air. Serena grabbed tightly onto him and calmed herself.

" I can fly you know," Serena shouted over the roar of the wind.

" I know," Vegeta gruffly said back.

Serena shook her head slightly and then rested it in the crook of his neck.

A few minutes later, Vegeta landed on the ground just outside of the city. Serena let go of him and looked out into the view. The city was gorgeous. It was so different from what she was used to, but it seemed the same also. It had the same bustling streets, the shops crowded with people, the roads lined with cars, and the laughter of children. It was music to her ears.

Vegeta saw the look on her face. She seemed like she was drowning in the voices and sounds of the city. She was like a starved man seeing food after not having it for years. The littlest things always held her greatest appreciation. It never ceased to amaze him.

" I haven't seen this in so long," Serena muttered.

" And just how long is `so long'?"

Serena turned her head to the side and looked at him through the corner of her eye, " Longer than you know."

" Maybe I do," Vegeta mumbled to himself.

He started walking towards the city and Serena snapped out of her trance and followed after him. They walked for a few minutes in silence and Serena was beginning to get uncomfortable. Vegeta still wasn't talking and she was still slightly pissed at him for his earlier comment. < I should just swallow my pride and say something. I mean he sure as hell isn't. >

"So," Serena began," Bulma doesn't mind us using her money?"

" That woman has more money than she can ever use."

" Oh. I didn't know she was that rich."

" That woman looks for reasons to spend her money, be it ridiculous shopping trips or expensive parties."

" You know it's rude to keep calling her that. After all, you were once married and have a son together, " Serena said solemnly, walking farther ahead of him. < And even loved her. >

Vegeta was dumbfounded. He stopped in his tracks and looked at her. Another shot to his pride and his heart. He never really loved Bulma like he loved Serena, yet, was there really love between them? Was there a trace of that emotion? Could you even call it that?

Serena kept walking forward. She steeled herself and didn't look back, for fear of what would happen if she did. She just kept going. < Don't look back now. You can do it. You've done it before. >

Vegeta balled his hands into fists and wiped at his eyes. Serena was more cunning and quick than he ever remembered her as Serenity. She had more confidence and strength now than she did back then. She grew a backbone all right, but at what costs? Her life than was a fairytale compared to her life now. Now she was a seasoned warrior, but did her pure heart steel over too? < She has every right to be mad at me, to be the way she is now. But I swear to you, to Selene, I'll get her back. Even if I must give my life for her. I'd gladly do it for my Serenity. >

Vegeta looked up and saw she was already at the edge of the city and far ahead of him. He dashed after her and was by her side in a few seconds. She showed no sign of caring or even recognition. She was ignoring him and doing a very good job at it.

" So where are these stores at?" Serena asked.

" How the hell would I know? I never went shopping with the woman."

Serena narrowed her eyes at him.

" Bulma. I never went shopping with Bulma."

Serena held a smile of smug satisfaction.

Vegeta growled, " Let's go already."

Serena laughed and grabbed his hand, pulling him along the streets. At first, Vegeta felt on edge holding her hand, but soon let her pull him in any direction she wanted to go. She was so open eyed about everything and took it all in with an ever present smile on her face. Her eyes glowed as she saw all the people. It was as though she was never in a city before. Everything interested her and she was constantly asking Vegeta questions about everything. He would smile, answer her, and let himself be dragged along again.

Eventually, they came across the shopping district. They went into a furniture store and bought a new and bigger white, silver, and blue two-door dresser for hanging some clothes up. They also got a silver and glass vanity table with matching chair, a bigger double bed in silver and blue, two tall standing lamps and two table lamps, a bench for the end of the bed, another smaller cabinet, and a long three-drawer dresser matching the other dresser.

" Miss do you need cars to bring that home?" a service attendant asked.

" No thank you. I have it all covered, " Serena politely answered.

The man shrugged his shoulders and walked away.

" No way in hell am I carrying all that," Vegeta protested.

Serena grinned evilly, " My dear Vegeta, who needs to carry anything. Observe."

Serena lifted her hand up and it started to glow faintly and her nails glowed silver. She moved her hand in front of her and moved it down swiftly, causing a shift and creating an opening. She moved her hand and her furniture glowed and she moved it towards the opening and pushed it all inside. She then moved her hand up swiftly and the opening closed. Her hand then stopped glowing.

Vegeta laughed, " A sub-space pocket huh? As long as I don't have to care anything."

Serena laughed and grabbed his hand and went back outside to find a new store. They walked a few blocks down and came to a nice clothing store. Serena pulled Vegeta inside and tried on all sorts of clothes. She would mode them for Vegeta, but he would only roll his eyes and grunt. Though he'd never show it or admit it, he was having fun watching her try on all sorts of clothes for him. Serenity always had great taste in the past and apparently Serena did now.

After racking up a bill in that store and tossing the clothes inside the ever-useful sub-space pocket, they went on to a new store and bought more clothes. After a while, both grew hungry. So they walked into a restaurant and sat down at a table together. Both of them ordered two of everything on the menu and waited for the meals to be brought to them.

" So what have you been up to all these years?" Serena asked Vegeta.

" I traveled here and tried to fight Kakarrot, but he beat me. So we ended up traveling to Namek for the Dragonballs and that's when we met Freeza, " Vegeta's eyes grew dark and his hands balled into a fist, " That menace tried to kill me and he did. He was too strong for me. Kakarrot fought him and that's when he became a Super Saiyajin. He was the one to finally beat Freeza."

Serena reached out and took his fist in both of her hands and closed her eyes. She opened them and smiled at him. He felt oddly warm and his anger seemed to fade away at her touch.

" You defeated him Vegeta. You were the one to silence him long before Goku could put a claim to it. He is gone and his terror won't be felt again. I too have had to face my own demons. I faced Beryl. She killed all my friends and Endymion. In the end, I had to face her and I defeated her. It was the cost of my life, but I knew I could never let her sins go unpunished. I was reborn by making my wish."

" What was your wish?"

" Orders up," the waiter said.

Serena pulled her hand away, but they never broke their gaze. She shook her head a little and smiled at the waiter and helped to take the plates. Vegeta felt cold when she pulled away and he felt his curiousity grow, but one gaze at all the food and his hunger grew much more. They both sat and ate in silence for the rest of the meal. They finished and paid their bill.

They walked outside in the crisp air. It was getting close to sunset and they had been walking for hours. Both felt tired, but were still charged for anymore shopping.

" Let's see," Serena thought, " I have furniture, accents, and plenty of clothes. What else do I need?"

Vegeta stopped, " I need to get something real quick. Why don't you sit here for a few minutes and rest and I'll get what I need."

Serena eyed him warily," What do you need? Can't I come with you and help?"

" No," Vegeta pushed her to a bench and sat her down," You stay here and don't move. I'll be back in a couple of minutes."

" But-," She was stopped as Vegeta flew up and disappeared.

Serena shrugged and bought an ice cream and sat back down on the bench. She watched as the people walked by and used this time to just relax and watch the day. After a few minutes, she was starting to get restless.

" Stupid Veggie Head!" Serena yelled," He ditched me here and I don't know where he went to."

Serena looked up at the street and saw a tall figure cloaked in a dark green, almost blackish, hood. It was tall and lean, but its facial features were hidden by the shadow of the cloak it wore.

Serena stood up and got in a fighting stance, never taking her eyes of the figure. She watched as it crossed through traffic and made it to her side of the street. It stopped walking and stood shoulder to shoulder next to Serena, on her right hand side. They both stood in silence.

" Transform," the figure croaked out in a feminine voice, somewhat familiar.

Serena's eyes went wide and an explosion sounded off in the distance. Serena turned quickly and saw a youma destroying a store and stealing people's energy. The youma was half cat and half human. She was covered in deep purple fur and had on violet high heels on and a purple dress with three slash marks on the side of her hips leading to just under her breasts. Her short dress flared out at her hips and was cut short with slits on the side.

The cat took her hand off a young man she held in her grasp and turned to face Serena. The cat woman tossed the man aside and glared at Serena with her blazing gold eyes. Serena stood her ground and prepared for an attack. The cat turned and charged at Serena with lightning speed. Serena conjured up her staff and held it in front of her as the cat woman shoved her back into the glass window of a restaurant behind her.

Serena smashed the glass and hit four tables before she finally hit the wall and dented it. Serena groggily opened her eyes and tried to focus her vision. She brushed some of the glass off her body and the splinters of wood as well. She stood slowly to her feet and felt some blood drop out of the long cut on her left arm.

The people in the restaurant screamed and cowered behind the counter on the other side of the room.

" Get out now!" Serena croaked out.

Everyone ran out the fire exit in the far corner of the restaurant.

Serena walked forward and back through the glass window she smashed into. The cat woman was standing next to the cloaked figure still.

Serena narrowed her eyes and spit a little blood out the side of her mouth, " That was your free hit."

Serena brought her staff in front of her and the star on top glowed bright and white wings enveloped her. The wings flapped back and Cosmos stood tall and ready to fight. Cosmos took a fighting stance with her staff in front of her.

" Youma Renkou," the figure spoke," Take Cosmos down. Leave nothing in your path."

Renkou licked the blood on her claws and purred, " As you wish."

" Over my dead body," Cosmos yelled.

Green colored lips formed a small smile, " Precisely. Renkou!"

With a great hiss, Renkou charged forward at Cosmos. Cosmos twirled her staff and charged at her at full force. Energy crackled around them as they met.

~ Meanwhile ~

Vegeta left Serena there and flew off. He flew for a few minutes until he stopped at a jewelry store they passed by earlier. He looked in the window and saw a necklace he caught Serena eyeing earlier. It was a diamond teardrop shaped stone set in platinum with a chain of small sapphires. It was very gorgeous and expensive.

Vegeta walked inside and looked around a little more. He came across the perfect bracelet. It looked just like one he gave her long ago in the past. It was a silver bracelet with diamond crescent moons and onyx stars. He smiled when he saw it. It was perfect.

A pretty young woman with red hair and glasses approached Vegeta, " How may I help you sir?"

" I want that bracelet right there and the sapphire and diamond one in the window,"

" Ah yes. The Dusk to Diamonds bracelet and Drops of Infinity necklace. Very good taste sir."

Vegeta smirked.

The women went in the back and started wrapping up the pieces. She came out a few minutes later and had a small bag stuffed with tissue paper in her hands.

" Can I ask sir whose getting these lovely pieces? Is it a girlfriend?"

" She's-," but he was stopped as he felt Serena's power flare to life to Cosmos.

Vegeta growled and grabbed the bag and tossed some money at the girl and ran out the doors.

" Sir! This is way too much!" The girl yelled as she ran after him.

But he already took to the air and was halfway to Cosmos.

Cosmos was fighting bitterly with Renkou. They would exchange hits left and right. Renkou was fast and very light. The worst part was whenever Cosmos would blast a part off; Renkou would grow it right back.

" Jupiter Thunderclap Zap!" Cosmos yelled. Lightning gathered in her hands and formed disks. She threw them at Renkou and blasted off her left arm and a hole in her stomach.

Renkou's stomach and arm grew purple and formed back to normal again. She flexed her claws and smiled evilly at Cosmos.

" Puzzle Shards!" Renkou reached behind her long black hair and in each hand she held a purple puzzle piece. She aimed and threw them at Cosmos. Cosmos dodged one with her staff, but the other cut a long gash in her shoulder.

Cosmos pulled the razor sharp piece from her shoulder, " So she's made from puzzle pieces. That's why she just keeps coming back."

" So you figured it out now Cosmos," the figure spoke.

" Yeah, and unfortunately for you, I can now figure out how to kill her. Once she's gone, you're next."

" I doubt that. Kill her now Renkou!"

" Puzzle Shards!"

" Venus Crescent Beam Smash!"

Cosmos shot down as many of the shards as she could, but a few got past her and nicked her ivory skin. Cosmos screamed out and her ki pulsed around her.

" Feather Dance!" Cosmos stretched her massive wings out and flapped them hard, causing tons of feathers to fly out and attack Renkou. The razor tipped feathers contacted the puzzle pieces and exploded.

Cosmos flew up high in the air and was preparing to send another wave of feather daggers out when she was unexpectedly lashed out with Renkou's long tail. She dodged it but was hit with another tail and slammed into the ground.

Cosmos stood up languidly, clutching her shoulder, which was covered in blood and seeping through her white fuku. Her face and body had dirt and sweat smeared everywhere and her hair was partially falling out of her odangoes.

Cosmos tasted the coppery flavor of blood and spit it out, " Ok. Now that was your last free hit."

" Serena!" Vegeta yelled from above.

He looked down and saw his perfect angel fighting some weird cat girl and a person covered in a cloak. He saw her and he was terrified. She was covered in dirt and blood and her shoulder was wounded badly. She looked tired and was breathing deep. She looked a mess. He felt his anger grow.

" How dare you!" he yelled and threw the bag high up in the air and formed a large ki ball and sent it flying towards Renkou. She screamed as it hit her and the area was engulfed in light and flying debris.

" Damn! Vegeta you fool!" Cosmos hollered over the roar of the blast.

Vegeta was caught off guard as a long purple tail hit him and smashed him into the ground.

" Foolish prince. Renkou feeds off energy. You just gave her more will to fight," the figure spoke.

Cosmos stood her ground as Vegeta slowly got to his feet and brushed himself off.

" Vegeta," Serena growled," Leave this to me. You'll only serve to be a distraction to me."

Vegeta glared, " I am no distraction."

" Listen!" Cosmos snapped," They feed off of energy. The more you blast them with it, the stronger they get. Just leave this to me. You can't fight magic with ki."

Vegeta flew up in the air slowly, " Fine. One wrong move and I'm stepping in."

Cosmos spit more blood out. " Thank you."

" Renkou, leave the prince for later. Go and finish Cosmos off."

" Puzzle Shards!"

" Last mistake kitty! Venus Crescent Beam Shower!" Cosmos pointed her finger up in the air again and the two crescent moons appeared. A bright ball of orange- gold energy formed at her finger and as she pointed at Renkou, the ball erupted in multiple shots of orange beams.

Renkou's puzzle pieces were hit and destroyed and Renkou was pinned to a wall with five beams, one in each arm and leg and one in her neck.

" Uranus World Shaking!"

A gold ball collided into Renkou and she screamed out in agony. Cosmos tackled her with her staff and they both flew through the wall, into the building, and out the other side. Renkou was in pieces and was trying to pull herself together.

" Shows over Fluffy! Cosmos Eternal Flame Oblivion!" Cosmos's star on her forehead glowed brightly of the Sailor Senshi's power and the star on top of her staff glowed as well. Soon her staff was engulfed in a white flame and Cosmos twirled her staff high above her head. On the ground, the same star on Cosmos's forehead glowed bright white with a crescent moon in the center of the star. Cosmos pointed the staff at Renkou and the star below her shot up in the white flame, blinding everyone who looked at it. Cosmos then turned her back away from the star and tapped her staff on the ground. The fire disappeared and all that was left of her attack was a few feathers and dust.

Cosmos leaned on her staff as a post to keep herself up and Vegeta landed next to her. From the dust emerged the cloaked figure.

" Now who's calling the shots here?" Cosmos scoffed.

" Nice job your majesties, but your victory will be short lived. Cosmos, you better be prepared for a long battle ahead for He isn't done with you yet."

" Who the hell are you woman?" Vegeta yelled.

The woman pulled her arm out from her cloak. Her nails were painted green and she wore the same green as her cloak in gloves that were finger-less and ran to her elbow and in her hand was a feathery pink fan. She grabbed her hood and took it off, revealing long emerald green hair and eyes and a black inverted crescent moon insignia on her forehead.

" Emerald," Cosmos breathed.

Emerald's green lips curved into a sinister smile," He waits for you Cosmos. For the day you'll battle once more. But he wants to strip you of everything first. You'll be broken yet Serenity."

" When Hell freezes over!" Cosmos shouted.

Emerald burst out in her trademark laughter and disappeared in a whirl of petals. Her laughter rang out and echoed everywhere.

Cosmos stood up straight and walked a few feet and looked out into the now quickly setting sun. She looked everything over. She saw the great damage she caused in her battle and she saw the people whose energy was stolen were coming back to life again.

Cosmos let go of her shoulder and looked down at her hand covered in her blood, " These hands will never be clean."

Vegeta watched her silhouetted form in the sunset; " Mine are no better."

Cosmos turned around slowly," I have caused pain to return once more to my friends. I have befallen death on those I cherish most. I cannot allow you all to pay because of my errors. I must face this demon of my past once more. Yet, my heart is too heavy to carry the burden. That's why I must ask you, Vegeta, an important question."

Vegeta took a small step forward and stood right in front of her," Anything."

" Did you really love her? Did you really replace me with her? Do you still long for her touch? Have I really been forgotten?"

Vegeta was at a loss for words. He found he couldn't quite answer her.

He went to open his mouth, but Cosmos covered his lips her index finger.

Tears swam in her brilliant lustrous eyes," Please don't answer me. I can't bear to hear an answer."

She looked down and let a tear fall and looked back up again with a smile on her face, though painfully to his eyes.

" Let's get home," she said in a false cheery voice.

She slowly floated up in the air and made in the direction of CC.

Vegeta grabbed his bag with her gifts in it and sighed into the sunset," Serenity, I love only you…"

He stayed and watched the sun dip lower behind the horizon and slowly took off after his wounded angel.

Somehow I can hear My Immortal by Evanescense playing right now when that happened at the end. Hey, who knows. Maybe that's just because I heard it on the radio.

~ Oh the tangled webs we weave. ~