Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction / Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Of Dragonballs and Duel Monsters ❯ First Day Melee ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Title:  Of Dragonballs and Duel Monsters
Chapter:  1/?
Author:  Murasaki Rose
Beta:  none
Genre:  Action/Adventure/Alternate Universe/Comedy/Crossover/Drama/Fantasy/Supernatural
Rating:  PG-13
Spoilers: Duelist Kingdom
Warnings:  Some shonen-ai, swearing, and violence.
Pairings:  Minor YxYYxA, YBxR, Jou x Mai, other pairings later.
Disclaimer:  Here we go. Yu-Gi-Oh and all it's characters are the property of Kazuki Takahashi, Shueisha, Konami, Toei, and unfortunately, 4 Kids Entertainment. Dragonball, Dragonball Z, and Dragonball GT are all the property of Akira Toriyama, Bird Studio, Toei Animation, and Funimation Inc.  In other words, I don't own any of them and I'm not making any money off of this, I'm just a fangirl having some fun.  However, Jianu, her family, and all other OCs in this story are mine.  If you'd like to borrow them, please ask me first and give proper credit.
AN:  "text" = speech, 'text' = thought, ((text)) = telepathy, /text/ = hikari to yami mindlink, (/text/) = yami to hikari mindlink, #text# = English

-supplement to A/N:  My first stab at YGO fanfiction and what do I do?  Write a crossover.  I'm gonna KILL my muses.  *sighs*  In all honesty, this will be mostly YGO oriented.  Jianu and her familiars are OCs from my DBZ fanfiction.  I've been told by readers that don't normally care for OCs that they rather like Jianu and company so I must be doing something right.  So sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride!

o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o

Chapter 1 - First Day Melee
Opening theme:  Higher and Higher

x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Mentally berating his forgetfulness, Yugi Mutou raced down the halls of Domino High towards the shoe lockers. Today he and his friends were eating out in the courtyard and he'd accidentally left his lunch in his book bag, forcing the small teen to make the long trek back to their classroom.  As he changed into his outdoor shoes, the tri-color haired teen's thoughts drifted to the new students who'd arrived that day.  Supposedly, the school had accepted eight transfer students from West Capital High, which had mysteriously been blown up by an unknown party, thus forcing all the students into temporarily transferring to other schools.  From what he and his friends had gathered from all the rumors flying about, all but one of them were foreigners.  The ones they had seen were unusually tall with athletic builds that, combined with their ethnicity, made them stand out in the crowd.  As for the remaining two, who were both supposed to be in Yugi's class, no one had a clue as to their appearance as they had yet to show up.  'I wonder if itoko(1)-chan's the missing one?' he thought, jogging around a corner, ' Nah, I'd have gotten a letter or a phone call . . .'

Yugi's train of thought was brought rudely crashing to a halt as a nasty senior blocked his path. "Goin' somewhere Mutou?"

"J-just to lunch, Takeda-kun."

Across the yard, one of the missing transfer students watched with narrowed eyes as the huge teen hauled the poor sophomore out of sight and darted after them without a second thought.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Blue-gray eyes flashed dangerously as their owner arrived in time to witness poor Yugi being on the receiving end of a punishing blow to the stomach.  Enraged, the teen resisted the urge to vaporize the bully on the spot and instead settled on punching him in the back of the head sending the brute crashing to the ground.
"Ya know, nothing pisses me off more than seeing behemoths like you pickin' on someone that can't fight back," Yugi's savior proclaimed in a light alto voice.

"You're dead!" Takeda snarled, coming up off the ground swinging at his unseen opponent.

Shaking his head to clear it, Yugi looked up just in time to watch his attacker slam hard against the brick wall.
Striding over to the fallen bully, the mystery teen hauled him up by the collar and pinned him to the wall with one hand, leaving his feet dangling well above the ground.
"Now let me make this perfectly clear, you so much as look cross-eyed at Yugi, and I'll make sure you go through life with a permanent limp.  Do you understand?" the teen growled lowly into the bully's face, gentle alto voice sinking into a rumbling tenor.

"H-hai! (2)" the brute stuttered, scrambling away when the taller teen dropped him.

"Coward," the teen sneered after his retreating form.
Still on the ground, Yugi couldn't help but giggle and shake his head at the other teen, 'Some things never change,' he thought climbing painfully to his feet.  Unfortunately he hadn't realized his balance was off and swayed on his feet only to have strong arms wrap gently around his shoulders in support.

"Daijoubu ka (3), Yugi-chan?"

"Uhn," (4) Another giggle. "I think you made him wet his pants."

A smirk. "Guys like him never can handle facing someone with real power."

"Yeah, and the fact that you're a girl makes you even scarier, Jianu-chan."

The female in question pouted indignately, "Hey!  I resemble that remark (5)!"

"Yugi!"

"Yugi-kun!"

"Hey! Let him go!"

Turning to face the approaching quintet of teens, Jianu Kreiger raised a slender eyebrow at them, ((Friends of yours?)) she sent telepathically to the small teen while offering a dry response to the newcomers, "If I let him go, he'll fall over."

((Hai, now be nice.)) Yugi responded silently.

((Hey! I'm always nice!)) Jianu replied indignantly.

"Suuuurre you are Jianu-chan.  That's why Takeda's scarred for life now," the shorter teen drawled, unconciously switching from telepathy to speech.

"Brat," Jianu snorted, "would you rather I have let him keep pummeling you?"

"No, but it doesn't change the fact that you can be scary at times," Yugi replied, giving the tall teen an odd look.

Jianu pouted, "I'm hurt, Yugi-chan."

"Riiight."

Their bizarre conversation might have continued further had both teens not felt the sudden wave of jealousy and confusion directed their way.  Jianu inwardly smirked, the jealousy was coming from Anzu.  At the same time, Yugi was giving his friends a sheepish grin as he realized that none of them had any idea what was going on.

"Ah, gomen ne (6), minna," he apologized, " I shouldn't keep you in the dark."

Jianu smiled and ruffled his hair, earning an indignant squawk from the shorter teen. "Now, let me see if I can guess right:   you're Honda, you're Jounouchi, you're Bakura, you're Hanasaki, and you've gotta be Anzu, ne?" she stated, pointing at each teen in turn.

".........."

Stunned, the teens in question stared slack-jawed at her.

Yugi and Jianu shared a look then dissolved into wild laughter.  They were really having too much fun with this.

"Hey! What's so funny?! And how'd you know who we were?" Jounouchi growled, peeved that the two seemed to be sharing some private joke.

"And what's with the "-chan"?" Anzu groused almost too low to hear.

Calming himself, Yugi grinned sheepishly again and straightened up finally allowing Jianu to let go of him. "Ah minna (7), this is Kreiger Jianu. She's the seventh transfer student . . ." he paused for effect, "She's also my cousin."

Jianu smiled brightly at them before bowing politely, "Hajimemashite (8)."

Yugi's friends stared slack-jawed at the tall female, "WHAT?!!"

"Yugi-kun, why didn't you tell us your cousin was going to be in our class?" Bakura asked.

"Honestly, I didn't know it was her until she rescued me from Takeda-kun."

"So that's what happened to you!"

"Uhn."

"You know, other than the hair, you two don't look like you're related," Honda commented as he eyed up the very tall teenage girl.  Like Yugi, she had long, slightly jagged, blond locks of hair falling in bangs and framing her face, setting off her blue-gray eyes nicely while a riotous mane of magenta-edged, black hair cascaded down to her knees.  She stood slightly taller than he (Honda) did, and for some reason, was wearing a boy's uniform.

Jianu looked devastated, "We don't?" she whined pitifully, her eyes going huge.

"Never mind, NOW I see the resemblance."

"I guess those sad, puppy-eyes are inherent," Anzu commented with a chuckle. Completely at ease with the other girl now that she knew Jianu was just Yugi's cousin.

"Uhn!" Jianu nodded, grinning happily. "Say, why don't we sit and eat and I'll tell ya everything you want to know."

x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Over the course of lunch, Jianu gave the group an abbreviated tale of why she and her friends were attending Domino High.  It wasn't that she didn't trust Yugi's friends, but she just wasn't comfortable telling them the whole story yet.  After all, there were certain facts that, while they wouldn't bother Yugi, might bother the other teens.
Luckily they seemed more interested in learning just how exactly she and Yugi were related.

"His mom is my dad's little sister," Jianu explained, smiling brightly at the group.

"Yugi's mom is American?"

"Yeah, didn't I tell you?"

"No."

"Oh.  Gomen, I thought I had.  But yes, Mom is from America.  She met my dad while he was attending college in the States," Yugi told his friends happily.  "There are seven Kreiger siblings total, four girls and three boys, Jianu's dad being the middle child and my mom being the youngest," he continued.

"We've got a LOT of cousins on that side of the family," Jianu added with a grin.

Shaking off his incredulity at the potential size of Yugi's family, Jonouchi changed the subject.

"So Jianu, how exactly were you able to scare off Takeda?" the blond asked, knowing from past experiences that the bully usually needed to be physically stopped.

"Well, after I punched him in the head, we had a "discussion" about leaving Yugi alone," she replied matter-of-factly.  Seeing the wide-eyed looks of disbelief she explained further, "I've been trained in the martial arts since I was two. It's a family tradition . . . Mom's side."

Feeling another subject change was in order, Anzu asked about what had been bothering her, "How come you're wearing a boy's uniform, Jianu-chan?"

Sighing in exasperation, the blue-gray eyed girl explained, "When we got enrolled, the principal insisted that we all have Domino uniforms on our first day, so we came in last week to get fitted for a set."  Jianu shook her head, "Somewhere along the line, there was a mix-up in my order and instead of getting the girl's uniform, I got the boy's.  The assistant principal pitched a fit over it, which is why I missed class this morning.  It took forever to iron things out, but they finally decided that as long as it's a Domino uniform, it's okay," the tall martial artist didn't mention the fact that they had only conceded to let her wear it after a phone call from Bulma.  "Personally, I prefer the boy's uniform and the fit is perfect so it's really comfortable."

"Ano, Jianu-san?  What's that?"   Hansaki asked, pointing at the strange pendant hanging around the taller teen's neck.

"It's a dragon ball," she replied holding up the baseball sized sphere by it's cord to where everyone could see.

"What's that?" he asked, staring at the orange, glass-like ball with three red stars floating inside.  For some reason the stars looked the same from every angle.

"This one in particular is sanshinchuu, 3 star ball.  Sanshinchuu is an ancient artifact of unknown origin, one that archeologists have as of yet, been unable to put an age on."

"Really?"

Jianu nodded, "There's a legend that says if you can gather all seven dragon balls together, then you can summon the Eternal Dragon Shenlon and he will grant you any one wish that is within his power."

Jou was skeptical, "And they let you wear it around your neck?"

Jianu raised an eyebrow at the blond, "Yugi's wearing a one-of-a-kind, 3,000 year old Egyptian artifact around his neck."

"Touché."

"Don't you worry about someone trying to steal it?" Ryou asked, thinking of his own darker half.

Jianu shrugged, "Not really.  Certain parties have tried and failed, multiple times," the tri-color haired female stated with a vicious grin.  Yugi rolled his eyes at his cousin's dark enthusiasm and shook his head in exasperation while his friends shared a look, this didn't bode well.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x

After lunch the gang returned to class with their new addition in tow.  Having missed homeroom (9), Jianu hadn't been assigned a seat yet, so she settled for leaning against Yugi's desk until their next teacher arrived.  Unfortunately for the new transfer, they'd arrived early enough for the tall girl to get mobbed by their overly curious classmates.

((A little help here?)) she mentally asked Yugi, who was watching and giggling at her current predicament.

((Gomen, Jianu-chan.  There's nothing I can do, honest!  Just let them hover for awhile and they'll eventually calm down on their own,)) he advised his nervous cousin.

((How long will that take?))

((Depends.  Bakura-kun had to go through the same thing on his first day too!   `Cept all his fans were girls,)) he snickered mentally.

((You suck.))

Her sulky declaration made Yugi laugh out loud, earning himself a lot of odd stares from friends and classmates alike.  Jianu just pouted.

Lucky for her, their teacher's arrival had everyone scrambling for their desks.  Still not sure where to sit Jianu remained standing by her cousin, only to receive a nasty glare from the older woman that had just noticed her.  "Just what do you think you're doing in here?" she demanded, "Get back to your classroom before I report you!"

Staring back evenly at the rude woman, Jianu replied politely, "I am in my classroom.  I'm a new transfer and this is my first day."

Huffing angrily, the teacher pulled out the homeroom roster which today boasted a bright yellow sticky note reading, 'New student, Kreiger Jianu.  Will arrive this afternoon.'

"Hmph.  Well, Kreiger-san, it seems you are supposed to be in here," she sneered.  Stalking over to the closet, she pulled out a textbook and tossed it to the tall girl. 
"I don't know what your old school was studying, but I expect you to participate regardless.  I also expect you to wash out that hair dye tonight!  Bad enough you're wearing a boy's uniform, but coloring your hair is against school policy!"

Bowing slightly, Jianu maintained her neutral expression, "Of course, sensei (10).  But I'm sorry to say that this IS my natural hair color."

The livid woman looked fit to explode before Yugi piped up, "Excuse me, sensei.  Jianu-chan is my cousin and her hair is as natural as mine."

Growling, the woman glared at both teens before something occurred to her.  There were much better ways to make the girl suffer for her attitude.  With a suspiciously saccharine smile, she moved on, "Why don't you take a seat, Kreiger-san?  I believe there's an empty one behind Kaiba Seto. Kaiba-san?  Would you raise your hand so Kreiger-san can-" the teacher cut off when the brunet teen compiled, "Ah, thank you Kaiba-san."

Still bristling slightly on his cousin's behalf, Yugi gave his cousin a wry smile as she passed him.  ((Welcome to Domino High, itoko.))

Smiling back at the petite teen Jianu made her way to her new desk, all the while sizing up the brunet teen she'd be sitting behind. Yugi had told her about all his encounters with the young CEO but he hadn't once described him.  As she took in his fathomless blue eyes and lanky build, the first thing that crossed her mind was, 'Damn he's cute.'

Mortified by her own thoughts, her eyes widened slightly, 'I did NOT just think that!'  Mentally slapping herself, Jianu took her seat and focused her attention on reviewing her new math book.  'Damn hormones.'

-

x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Closing Theme:  Yume Wa Oshite


3/17/04
re-edited:  07/21/06
re-re-edited:  March 09, 2009

o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o

And here's your mini-Japanese lesson for the day.  Don't let the numbers scare you, this is the longest one.  You might want to remember some of these though, they'll show up again later.

1 - cousin
2 - yes
3 - are you all right/okay
4 - sound of affirmation, like saying uh-huh, yeah, yup, etc . . .
5 - No that's not a typo, and yes I do know what "resemble" means.  It's a play on words.
6 - I'm sorry
7 - everyone
8 - pleased to meet you (used for first time greetings, semi-formal)
9 - In most Japanese high schools, students are assigned one classroom.  They do have different teachers for each subject but instead the teachers are the ones who change rooms.  Students do leave the room for gym and labs and often share these lessons with other classes.
10 - teacher