Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ A Beautiful Lie ❯ Party time ( Chapter 4 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Disclaimer: DB/Z/GT is owned by Akria Toriyama...not me...k.thx. Also, the title..A Beautiful Lie..is owned by the band, 30 Seconds to Mars..love them.
Chapter 4

Briefs Residence

He tipped his chin up to get better access to the stubborn bow tie at his neck. Frowning, he pulled the ends to tighten the knot and shrugged when it still tipped to the left. Trunks swiped a hand through his thick lavender locks and snorted. "Who am I kidding? No one's going to be paying attention to my tie."

Goten dusted off his lapels and flicked away a few stray fuzzies. "Don't sweat it. No one's holding anything against you." He turned away from the mirror and held out his arms. "So, do I clean up well?"

Trunks scratched his chin in mock thought. "You look better coated in grease."

Goten swiped a handful of his friend's hair and tugged. "Yeah, well at least I don't have nicer hair than some girls."

"I've come to terms." The young executive just waved his hand dismissively. "It's unique."

"As opposed to what?"

Trunks sent him a skeptical glance. "Since when did you wear your hair the same way as Goku?"

Goten reached up and slid his fingers down a single, sleek spike. "Honestly?" He stared at his reflection and found himself staring at his Dad. "I don't know, I guess I just got tired of maintaining it any other way." He turned back toward his friend and shrugged. "I was born with it like this, so that's the way it should be." He took a step forward and clapped a hand on his slightly shorter friend's shoulder. "Now quit stalling."

He laughed. "Still can't get anything past you, can I?"

Goten sighed dramatically. "No."

"Alright, it's now or never." Straightening the jacket of his tux, Trunks squared his shoulders and swept out of the room with an air that left little doubt as to his status as both Saiyan and human royalty.

He smiled as he followed suit and strode through the door behind him. The two of them had been thick as thieves since the day Bulma had brought Trunks over to Mt. Paoz not long after his birth, and not even the time apart or miles between them could dampen their bond. Goten smiled as he slipped through the halls and down the steps to the event hall of Bulma and Vegeta's home. In the years before he made it big on the track, his soul occupation had been to be Trunks' wingman at all the unveilings, galas, and holiday parties. That was back when Trunks still knew how to kick back and live a little. He reached the top of the spiral stair that led to the hall and saw Trunks standing there. Those were good times, but I can't dwell in the past. He'll never admit it, but he needs a friend more than anything now. Jogging up behind him, Goten threw an arm around his best friend's shoulders and nodded. "So, how 'bout we crash this party like we use to? Tear it up."

Trunks solemn smile tipped up crookedly. "Absolutely."

In the hall

Bra snatched a passing waiter and swiped a glass of champagne from his tray. The handsomely dark-haired server gave her a hard, fatherly look and she childishly stuck her tongue out before slugging back the alcohol. Licking her lips, she placed the empty glass back and lifted a brow. "Thanks." She whirled on her heel and strode off toward Marron, who was busy yakking with her mother. She lifted the slight train of her wine-colored gown in her right hand, cursing at the thing as she walked. The gown complemented her sea-green hair shockingly; a one-shouldered number that strapped over her left shoulder, molding around her runway model figure to trail off her right leg. The slit on the left side reached all the way to her mid thigh and the lacing across the back revealed a lot of skin. She stalked over the ornate marble floor easily on her stilettos and slipped in beside Marron. "Can I borrow you for a second?"

Marron smiled apologetically at her parents. "Mom, Dad, you remember Bra?"

Juuhachi nodded, her eyes cool. "Of course." Krillin just smiled and took his wife's arm. The tall blonde glanced down at his face. "We'll be around."

"Ok." Marron continued to smile until her parents were out of hearing range, then whipped toward her friend. "What was that?"

Bra managed to look somewhat remorseful. "I'm sorry, but I just escaped the grips of Pan. You know how that can be." She delicately rubbed at her temples, not risking a mar in her perfect makeup. "I need a conversation with a real adult."

Marron tucked a single strand of hair that had fallen loose from her stylishly coiffed mass of curls behind her ear. "Well, you could have been a bit nicer about interrupting." She planted her bangled wrists on her slim hips. She eyed Bra's dress and smirked. "A bit risky." She'll never pass up the chance to show a little skin.

"That's what it's all about." She flicked her sleekly elegant ponytail back over her shoulder and surveyed her friend's gown. The gown was strapless, showing off her fuller bust, and tapered down to her rounder hips. Twin slits adorned the sides, giving only teasing glimspes of the woman's shapely legs. Bra pursed her mouth and nodded. "Not bad, safe, but not bad."

Marron sighed. "I just can't win with you can I?" She glanced down at the glittering stilts under Bra's heels. "At least I'm still concerned about the well-being of my feet."

Bra scoffed. "Anything under four inches doesn't suit me, although your's are cute." She pointed down at the simple black heels that were barely two inches high.

"That's why I'm the practical girl. You fit your role of pampered princess to a tee." She tapped the arm of a server and took two glasses from him, handing one to Bra. "So, is there anyone else supposed to be showing?"

Bra shrugged. "Not that I can tell, maybe just my skulking brother." She glanced around, looking for a particular lavender head of hair, but instead caught sight on someone else. Daddy. "Um, I have to go take care of something real quick." She glanced at Marron's confused face and smiled weakly. "I'll make sure to apologize to your parents afterward, I'm sorry." She turned and dashed off.

Marron's shoulder's sagged as she dropped her head back to stare at the chandeliered ceiling. "Well, that was fun." Her stomach made a slight rumbling protest and she made for the banquet table before she embarrassed herself. Holding her glass in her right hand, she used the other to sample the various goodies laid out on the table. Veggies and cheeses and meats, oh my! The congregation of flavors on her tongue brought a satisfied smile to her lips. Yum. She took a step backward and bumped into a large body. "Oh, I'm sorry-" The body turned around and she smiled hugely. "Goku!"

He actually put down the plate he'd been piling food on. "Oh wow, Marron!" He grabbed her up into a crushing hug and then set her on her feet. "The last time I saw you, you were only as tall as my hip. Geez, it's been a long time!" He reached back and scratched the back of his head.

She laughed. "Ten years I think." She set her glass down on the table and stepped back to look him over. "You haven't aged a day Uncle Goku." Not even a single wrinkle.

"Nah, it's a Saiyan thing." He shrugged. "Chichi hates it."

"I'll bet."

The object of their conversation walked up and hooked an arm around her husband's elbow. "I've gotten over it. You look lovely Marron."

Marron smiled and nodded at the woman's old-fashioned red silk kimono. "As do you."

Goku glanced up over her head and grinned. "Hey Trunks!"

Utter silence descended on the room as Marron whipped around. "Shit."

Meanwhile

Bulma brought a glass of the merlot over to her husband as he leaned against the wall. Her simple halter-topped black gown swirled around her legs as she strode toward him, a wry smile on her face. She held out the glass. "Still not a socializer I see."

He snorted as he smiled. "Not with these people. I've known them all too long."

"Oh, they can't all be that boring." She reached out and fiddled with the tie on his tuxedo. "Just wait, Goku will find you soon enough and then you'll be begging for me to save you."

"Ha." He gently wrapped his hand around her wrist. "Kakarrot I can deal with." He knew she was lingering when she should be hosting, all on account he preferred to be alone. They both heard someone calling her name and he released her hand. "Go."

She snorted and turned away. "I'll find you later."

He stifled a yawn and swirled the contents of his glass before downing it in one shot. He set it down on a nearby table and wandered along the edges of the party toward the small balcony beyond where a ridiculously over-paid pianist was playing. He slipped between the heavy blue drapes and breathed in the crisp fresh air. He slid his hands into the pockets of his slacks and stared up at the bright blinking stars. He thought of all the times Bulma'd brought him along when she had events and galas. For some reason it was easier for him to morph his personality to become a suave, debonair husband of a corporate heiress. Conversation always came easy and he mingled, but at these reunion-esqe gatherings he found himself unwilling to join in inane small talk. Perhaps it's all the sincerity. Conversing with other businessmen, politicians, and lawyers always had a feeling of innuendo, always skirting around the truth of everyone's opinions. When he got right down to it, speaking with family and friends just didn't hold enough challenge to peak his interest.

The drapes swished and he cocked an ear as a pair of heels clicked toward him. He trained his gaze on the sky as his daughter set down her glass on the railing. "I want to talk."

He finally turned his eyes away from the stars and admired her. The dress highlighted her form while also showing off her bold, daring nature. She had her mother's coloring and build, but her hard gaze and expressionless face were all his. That was where his children differed. Trunks always wore his emotions on his sleeve like Bulma, but Bra was mysterious and explosive, much like he was. "You look lovely."

She crossed her arms. "Thanks."

His eyes caught the almost involuntary tapping of her foot, another trait of Bulma's. She much more upset than she appears to be. "What is it?"

"I want to know why."

Vegeta didn't even try to deny what she was talking about. That would be a bad thing. He cleared his throat and leveled her with a calm stare. "For your own good."

"How do you know what's good for me or not?" She dropped her arms to the sides.

He remained expressionless after her typically adolescent outburst. "I'll always know what's good for you when it comes to a fight."

The muscles in her fine jaw worked. "He's my brother..."

"Yes." He stepped closer and picked up her drooping chin with his finger to look into her eyes. "But he wasn't himself."

She blinked back tears furiously and sniffed. "Neither were you."

He held his breath for a moment before letting it out in a long sigh. "Correct."

She slipped out of his grasp and glared. "But why? Why would you do that to me?" Her accusations were hissed out between her teeth in order to remain quiet.

Vegeta didn't dare admit that he was scared for both of his children. Instead he turned back toward the sky. "Do you know what happens when a Saiyan ignores their instincts?"

She snorted. "No, but I think you're going to tell me."

"It eats at you from the inside, building up until there's only one way for it to escape."

"So, he ignored training and it turned him into a raging beast?" She hovered behind him.

"Yes. He suppressed his Saiyan side as he went about his business, but all it needed was a trigger to explode." He turned around to face her again. "And once that happens, everything human about him will disappear. He may have called you sister, but that wouldn't make him refrain from killing you."

Bra frowned. "But that sounds just like you.."

He swallowed. "Yes, I had too in order to help him. Then I wanted to get you away from him as fast as possible. He was unpredictable."

She threw her arms out angrily. "I know!" Tears spilled over from her brilliant blue eyes. "But so were you.."

"I'm sorry." He ignored the pained note in her voice. "That was never my intention."

She blinked a moment in surprise, an apologie from Vegeta was an honored thing. His expression was hard, but pained at the same time. He's angry at himself.. She didn't hesitate as she stepped towards him and threw her arms around his neck. "I forgive you, Daddy." The tears fell unheeded. "I'm sorry I was angry."

He held her as she wept; his voice silent. In all honesty, he didn't know if would work if he tried to use it. It wasn't very often that his daughter displayed this much emotion to him in a single moment. Eventually she went silent and he allowed her to step back when she moved away. She swiped at her eyes, cursing at her makeup. He pulled the handkerchief from his jacket pocket and held it out to her. "Here."

"Thanks." She sniffed and dabbed at her face meticulously. "This is why I hate when I cry. It's such a pain to clean up after." She shrunk inwardly at her babbling. "Sorry, I'm just embarassed."

Vegeta smirked. "Don't be."

"I can't help it." She shrugged and suddenly noticed the silence. "Why is it so quiet?"

Her father tipped his head toward the drapes they'd slipped through. "Your brother."

Eyes widening, she crushed the hanky in her grip. "People can be such assholes." She glanced down at her fist and willed it to stop shaking, carefully removing the smooth cloth and refolding it. "Thanks Daddy." She stepped closer and tucked back into his jacket pocket. Taking a deep breath, she composed herself and winked. "I'll fix it."

Vegeta watched her glide back into the party and shook his head. "I have no doubt."

Back inside

Both women twisted to look, as did the rest of the company in the room. Marron brought a hand to her mouth. Great. How embarrassing. He was dashing in his tuxedo, refined and rugged at the same time. He stood at the base of the staircase and his gaze drifted over the gawking guests unfazed. Marron took a long sip of her drink. I'd be a basketcase. Suddenly he turned his eyes straight to hers and she felt her insides clench as he smiled. Oh boy. She smiled back in return, ridiculously fiddling with her hair as she did so. Kami, what's with the jitters? He nodded slightly before turned away and looking out at the others. Marron let out her breath and was suddenly jerked to the side. "Hey-"

"What are you just standing there for?" Bra hissed into her ear. Her grip tightened on her friend's arm as she pulled her away from the buffet table and towards the stairs.

Marron tried to free herself, but found that the demi-Saiyan's strength was a bit much. "Where are you dragging me off too?"

"Can't you see how everyone is looking at him? Like an insect." She pulled up and started to smooth out Marron's dress. "Okay, maybe not Goku, but just about everyone else is." She gripped her hard by the shoulders. "Except you."

"But I-"

"Do you think I don't remember what you told me about my brother?" Her voice had dropped down to a light whisper. "I know you like him...so go and support him." She smiled. "I saw the way he looked at you."

Marron couldn't stop the blush this time and dropped her head. "I feel like an idiot."

"Yeah well, multiply it by a million and that's what it's like when you tease me about Goten." Bra slowly twisted her etched ring around her right ring finger.

Marron's eyes shifted between the two Briefs children and she sighed. "Ok."

"Thanks." Bra started to drag her off again, but Marron slipped out of her grasp.

"But only if you go and apologize to Goten for the other night."

She never felt like smacking someone more. "Are you serious?!"

Marron grinned. "As a heart attack."

Fuck me. Bra smothered the urge to stamp her feet like a toddler and nodded. "Fine, I'll do it."

"Good." Marron smiled and chewed her lip. "Ok, here I go." She slid through the throngs of people, not once taking her eyes off of the lavender head she was targeting. I can do this...well, I am doing this. She watched him take a drink from a waiter and silently slipped beside him, tucking her arm around his. "Hey you."

He'd been so inwardly focused that he hadn't even heard her approach. He glanced down at her and felt his chest tighten. "Marron, what are you doing?" She was stunningly beautiful, a perfect blend of demure and exotic that sucked all the moisture from his mouth.

"Being a friend." She smiled and leaned her head on his strong shoulder. "Is that alright with you?"

Trunks swallowed the lump in his throat and forced himself to relax. "Yes."

Orbiting Chikyuu

"We'll be entering Chikyuu's atmosphere within the next thirty minutes."

The corner of her full lips pulled up into a devilish smile. "Perfect." I have been waiting for this moment for nearly two decades. She swirled the crimson liquid in her glass and held it up to the light. Too bad this can't be a Saiyan's blood. She shrugged as she drained the glass and tossed it over her shoulder, welcoming the sound of shattering glass. "Have the others prepare, I want it to be fast and accurate."

Her insurbordinate nodded. "Yes Milady." He bowed and then took off toward the communications deck of the massive space cruiser.

She crossed her arms under her breasts and strode over to the large window, taking in the sight of the planet she was on the verge of conquering. "Soon my little primates......soon."


A/N: I would like to apologize first off, for the long wait. I had to work through a bit of writer's block, but I was determined to finish this chapter. I promise the action is coming...and although I wrote a cliff hanger....the proverbial shit will hit the proverbial fan in the upcoming chapters...haha. I promise I won't take as long now....so please don't stop reading ^_^.

Hey people!!! R&R!!!!!