Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ A Beautiful Lie ❯ The Fountain ( Chapter 5 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Disclaimer: DB/Z/GT is owned by Akria Toriyama...not me...k.thx. Also, the title..A Beautiful Lie..is owned by the band, 30 Seconds to Mars..love them.

Chapter 5

In the Briefs' Hall

"I'm not the only one that wins the money. My pit crew, agent, assistants, and mechanics all take home a percentage. I do own my own cars though, so I don't lose any of it to suppliers." Goten smiled.

"So you still take home a good chunk of change?" Yamcha smirked over the rim of his glass.

"Of course he does." Gohan clapped a hand on his back. "He's just being modest." He smiled and looked his younger brother through bespectacled eyes. "Aren't you?"

"Yep, that's me. Modest as all get out." Goten snorted. "Are you sure you're not delusional? Or do you just not remember our childhood?" Three quarters of it he'd been nearly naked and willing to do just about anything he was put up to. It always made for great conversation.

Yamcha pointed a finger at Goten. "The boy's got a point Gohan. He has no shame if I remember correctly."

"Oh yeah. Believe me when I say it was hellish." Gohan smoothed down his tie. "So, how the President of Capsule Corp. fairing these days?"

Goten's amused smile fainted. "Why don't you just ask him yourself?"

"Take it easy Goten, it was just a harmless question." Yamcha chuckled nervously. He'd never seen the happy-go-lucky kid look so nasty before.

He gritted his teeth against a snapping retort and forced himself to relax. "Of course it is, but I refuse to keep tabs on my best friend just so I can give updates to you people." He took a long draught from his glass of scotch, welcoming the calming buzz of alcohol as it trailed down his throat. He shouldn't really be as angry as he was, but it just didn't sit well with him to giving out that kind of information, regardless of whether it was in concern. Sure, he was best friends with the guy, but he sure as hell was going to be snitching on every move the poor guy made. He knows better than anyone that he fucked up big time. Now he'll just have to do the damage control.

Gohan looked over at him angrily. "What the hell is with you?" What had he ever done to be deserving of this? "Since when did you get appointed his Kami-damned pit bull?"

Yamcha tittered nervously. "Easy guys." The wicked sneer on Gohan's face was easily matched by the lethally expressionless one on his sibling's. When did they get like this?

They both ignored the aging human bandit beside them and continued to glare daggers at each other. Goten wanted nothing more than to slam his fist into his high-and-mighty brother's face, but knew that wouldn't go over well with the hosts. There would be plenty of provocation to pacify Vegeta, but it was Bulma (or her highly-volatile daughter) that he didn't want to upset. "I don't want to fight you."

Gohan's sneer turned into an almost hurt expression. "Then you should've thought about that before snapping like rabid dog." He stepped forward and crowded into his brother's space.

He'd to have been blind not to see the hurt in his elder brother's dark eyes. Gohan had always been the more sensitive of the two, allowing his emotions to cloud his judgement at times. Like now. It wasn't like he was saying his brother was weak, in fact it was just the opposite. He could be tough as nails when pushed.....which it seemed he'd done a little too hard. He took in the anger imprinted on his brother's normally cheerful face and felt his own resolve crubble. He'd done this, and now he'd have to pay for it. "If that's what you want." Although he'd conceded his voice hinted at no such thing, retaining the flat goading tone.

He could feel the glances from the people mingling around them, along with the heavy stare of his wife boring into his back, but he didn't care. He was sick and tired of being on the recieving end of everyone's crap. "Outside. Now." He turned to leave, but a slender hand gripped his wrist. "Let go."

"I hope you don't talk to your wife like that." He swiveled back around to glance at Bra, hands on her hips, staring at him with one cat-like eyebrow raised. "I would've kicked your ass a long time ago if you did." The diamond dangles in her ears glittered as she glanced between the two brothers. "Looks to me like you two left your toddler years a long time ago, so why don't you both get over yourselves and pick this pissing match up on your own time." She smiled sweetly at both of them.

Yamcha snickered from off to the side, but Goten's icy glare sent him scurrying off into the crowd. He turned back to the femme fatale standing before him. "This doesn't concern you, so get lost."

Bra actually felt like getting on her knees and praying to Kami. This angry, raging Goten was so much easier for her to manage than the consoling gentleman the other night. Now all she had to do was diffuse this ticking time bomb. Who knew siblings could be this quarrelsome? Hehehe... She stole a glance at her brother as he meandered around with Marron beside him. ....I do. She tilted her chin up and crossed her arms under her breasts, shoulders back with her hips leaning forward. "Not finished with your tantrum, are we?"

Goten leveled her with a bored expression and an exasperated tone. "You would know."

She stiffened for a moment, knowing that she wasn't the only one within earshot. A vein ticked above her right eye as she bent her head and nodded. "Nice." She faced him fully and ran her tongue along her dark lips. "Damn, you got me."

Gohan suddenly found himself on the outside of the real action. It was as if he'd ceased to exist and only person in her world was his younger brother. Not that he cared a wit- he wasn't equipped to do battle with Bulma and Vegeta's daughter. She'd eat me alive in a nanosecond. Plus, he'd never been fond of being the center of attention, so it was a relief to have all the eyes trained on what looked to be a lover's quarrel.

He almost spewed his champagne onto the pair, succeeding only in holding it in with a choking sound. This drew a curious glance from Videl as she approached, but he simply held up his glass in reply. She shook her head and continued past him. He didn't know where she was going, but that hardly mattered right now. He continued to stare at the two before, seeing them in a way he hadn't before. When did those two ever get so close? Their body language gave off the distinct impression of 'relationship', but nothing of the sort had occured to his knowledge. He pursed his lips. But what the hell do I know? He cleared his throat to get their attention and recieved a pair of glares that were easily translated into 'WHAT!?' "I'll leave you to own discussion."

Goten shoved his hands into his pockets with an air of severe frustration. "We'll finish this later."

Gohan agreed musingly. "I'm sure." He took his cue and wandered off.

Bra's attention broke away from Goten for a moment and it dawned on her just how many people were watching them, including her parents. Just wonderful. Pressing a fist to her mouth she took a deep breath to calm herself. Ok, time to make a delicate exit. Straightening up, she took hold of Goten's sleeve and started walking. She had no idea where she was headed, but it was definitely going to be somewhere private. He offered no resistance, as if he understood her need to disappear. Her heels clicked against the marble floor until they reached the foyer, the repetitive sound muted to a barely perceptible tap by the rug runner.

She continued on until they were standing beside the babbling fountain in the center of the circular gravel drive. Releasing her grip, she turned away from him and stared at ripples rolling across the surface of the water. "I hope you don't mind being my hostage." She smiled wryly to herself. "The situation was getting away from me." With no help from you.

Goten decided it was better to watch the stars instead of the overwhelmed girl beside him. It wasn't because he wanted to ignore her, but to quell the sudden urge to touch the soft skin of her shoulders as it shimmered in the bright moonlight. If he'd thought she was attractive before, she was practically bewitching in the shadows. The need to remedy his mistake had him touching the silken strands of her elegant ponytail. "I didn't really mean what I said in there." His fingers greedily sifted themselves through the teal locks, pulling the long section of hair over her shoulder as she turned toward him, eyes thoughtful.

"Yes you did." It was true she hadn't wanted for anything growing up in such surroundings, and she'd been known to throw a fit in her imprudent youth when her way wasn't met. Marron had even alluded to it earlier with her 'pampered princess' comment. Perhaps that was her lot in life, to spend her days known as the Princess of the Briefs empire. It didn't really matter that she tried vainly to distance herself for that image everyday. It was imprinted on her like an aura, always lurking despite her best efforts to thwart it. Bra suddenly felt very small as she gazed hesistantly into his dark eyes. "Do you...Do you think I'm a spoiled little princess?"

She reached out and gripped the lapels of his tux tightly, almost desperately, then as if aware of what she'd just done, whirled away to sit on the lip of the fountain with her hands beneath her bottom. Goten blinked and then finally registered that she'd asked him a question, spoken so softly that even his keen hearing had barely grasped it. Her big blue eyes looked lost, a complete one-eighty from the angered sapphires from the other day. It unnerved him to see her like this. He gazed at her a moment in thought, then sank down on his heels in front of her. "No."

She dropped her eyes to his tie. "Honestly?"

"Honestly." He smiled and linked his hands between his knees. "But then again-"

"But what?" She looked startled.

"I probably have a impossibly severe case of Stockholm Syndrome." He grinned like a complete idiot, hoping she didn't flip out.

"You're fucking impossible." But Bra said it with a smirk as she surveyed his laughing eyes, her heart skipping like a schoolgirl at recess. "And I did mean what I said in there."

He chuckled lightly. "And I'd have to agree with you."

"Do I even want to know what started it?" She laughed when he shook his head. "No, probably not. It'll be too ridiculously insignificant to imagine."

He grasped her hands in his own, taking an uncalculated risk at ruining her sudden warmth. "I have a question."

Bra enjoyed the feel of his calloused hands against hers and tightened her grip. I have no idea what I'm doing, but I'm just going to go with it. "Okay."

He ran his thumbs along her slender knuckles and dropped his eyes to look at them. "I know that you're a big fan of a knock-down, drag-out fight, so I guess I'm just curious as to why you stopped Gohan and me."

Here it is. She pulled her lower lip between her teeth and started to chew. Now I have to tell him that I didn't voluntarily go to him. She had no idea how he'd react to hearing that Marron had blackmailed her into apologizing, and it transformed her stomach into an unaccustomed ball of nerves that left her feeling nauseous.

I could always lie.

The idea left her feeling even more wretched than the truth. Damn you, Marron. She wasn't sure why this was eating at her so much. It wasn't like she was actually in a relationship with him or anything......

But when I get right down to it, that's what I want. Kami, how'd it get so messed up?

"Bra?"

"Huh?" She blinked and shook her head. "What is it?"

"Are you alright? You look a little pale." He reached up and laid the back of his hand against her forehead like a mother to her young child.

She grimaced and brushed away his hand. "I'm fine, it's just..." How was she going to explain taking a vacation to LaLa Land when he'd wanted her attention. Crap.

He hadn't expected her to hesistate, since she almost always had some sort of snide comment conjured at a moment's notice. Maybe she didn't want to tell him. He let go of her hands and held them up. "It's ok if you don't want to answer. I'm a big boy. I can handle it."

"Will you shut up for five seconds?" Bra snatched back his hands and blew out a breath and her annoyance with it. Fuck it. Just dive headfirst and hope you don't break your neck. "You're right. I would've enjoyed watching Goku's sons beat-the-living-shit out of each other."

He frowned. "I don't get it."

She hissed through her teeth. "Will you let me get this out?" He nodded quickly like a little boy would when scolded. "I couldn't stand having everyone gawk at my brother, so I forced Marron to go tag along. She made a stink about it and said that she'd only do it if I went and apologized to you." She swallowed and looked away, waiting.

Goten felt himself smile crookedly. "Is that all?"

She stared at him with bewilderment. "You do realize that I wouldn't have come within thirty feet of you all night?"

"No doubt." He couldn't stop himself from laughing. Leave it to her to get all contrite about her pride. That mulish attitude was one of the pieces of her that he found so intriguing.

"You're not mad?" She didn't try to hide her disbelief.

He worked his hand free from her grasp and reached out to tuck her long, sweeping bangs behind her ear, revealing her enchanting face to his gaze. He felt her suck in a nervous breath as the night air suddenly felt excruciatingly heavy around them. "I wouldn't have you any other way."

His smile was tender and his tone light, but she didn't miss the unmasked heat in his eyes. She knew what came next, could see it happening in her mind's eye- he was going to kiss her. The thought acted like trigger, ignited her senses into hyperdrive. The bubbling of the fountain warped into a raging waterfall and the soft chirping of the crickets were now similar to an air horn blasting in her ears. His earthy, masculine scent settled like a cloud around her and she had to hold her breath lest she wanted to be intoxicated by it. The strength of it all filled her with trepidation. No, it's too fast.

He brought his other hand up to hold the other side of her face and the jolting touch sent her snapping to her feet. "Goten..." He followed her up and drew her in until she was a hair's breath away from being fully pressed against every hard, sinewy inch of him. She was sure of that much. "I don't..." He bent his head and felt his warm breath, tinged with scotch, waft over her. It was that feathering feeling that sent her skirting away from him. "Goten, I'm sorry."

He made no move to stop her. It may have seemed like a setback, but it was probably very encouraging that she'd allowed him to go as far as he'd managed. It could have only gone two ways, a fifty-fifty odds deal, and knowing she'd had given the idea a gamble was enough for him. He'd just have to be more patient from now on.

Bra only made it to the gravel drive before stopping, hand clutching to her gown at her chest. What was she doing? Running away? She stared at the small gray stones until they all blurred together. Isn't this what you wanted? What you've dreamed about for months? Whirling around, she stared at his jacketed shoulders as they squared and he lifted his head to the stars. Then why did I run?

Because it felt like a dream come true.

She flung out a hand to balance herself as she bent over and popped off one of her heels, tossing it lightly into the perfectly tailored grass. It's partner joined it a moment later and she took a last deep breath. Some dreams do come true I guess. Grinning, she started to run. "Hey Goten!"

He turned quickly, but not quick enough to catch her. She hit him at full speed and the unexpected rush sent him scrambling backwards. "Bra!" His feet hit the edge of the fountain and shot out from under him. "Ah!"

His hands lashed out as he went, latching onto her arms and dragging her with him. Bra gasped in surprise, realizing that she was being yanked into the water with him. "Oh shit!"

The water submerged around him as her weight pushed him beneath the surface. It was surprisingly warm, reminding him of the hugs his Mother had given him as a child when it wrapped around him. It didn't matter that he'd now have to pay and arm and a leg for his newly ruined tux. But then again, he could probably weasel it out of Bra, since she was the one that'd done it. His butt hit the bottom and he reached back to push himself up to the surface, pulling in a refreshing breath as he did so. He shook the water out of his eyes like a dog and looked over at the girl sitting opposite him in the shallow fountain, a jetting stream pouring onto the top of her head.

Bra knew she looked utterly ridiculous, scraggly hair with giant raccoon eyes, and burst out laughing at Goten's shocked expression. Her stomach cramped she was chortling so strongly, too shocked by her own actions to stop. "I...must...look....like...a...drowned rat." She covered her mouth with her hand, while the other pressed against the stitch in her side.

Goten moved up onto his knees and slid a hand behind her head, pulling her (still giggling) close enough for him to seal his lips against hers. This time she didn't scurry away, kissing him back fully as she grinned. His other hand caught the other side of her head and she slid her hands up his neck to tug on the now sagging spikes on his head. He pulled back and glowered at her and she could only give a throaty laugh in response before resuming the kiss. She bumped his chin with her own and he opened up to her demand instantly. Her delicate tongue darted into his mouth and twined around his own, both catching the light flavor of alcohol.

Bra leaned forward and pushed him back onto his haunches, aggressively smothering him in a reckless sort of way that she'd never done before. It was exhilarating. Her lungs burned for air and she pulled away, taking hold of his tongue between her teeth, and blinking lazily. She could feel his body vibrating through the water with need for her and it gave her a stong heady rush.

Goten smirked at her haughty eyes and licked his lips. "What was that for?"

"Oh." She pursed her lips and waved a hand, sending sparkling drops of water flitting into his face. "I guess I just felt sorry for you."

"Little witch!" He growled softly and lunged after her, laughing when she squealed in surprise and scrambled to get away. She almost climbed out of the fountain, but he snagged the tail of her dress and tugged. With no traction, she flopped backward and into his arms. "Where do you think you're going?"

She sprayed the water out of her mouth and into his face, pouting when she missed. "To get my Daddy."

Goten froze and sent her a nervous glance. "You wouldn't actually do that would you?"

"No!" She thumped him on the back the head and rolled her eyes. "Can't you take a joke?"

He sighed and pressed a hand over his heart. "Thank Kami. For a second there, I thought my imagination was going to kill me."

"I wouldn't be worrying about your imagination." She cracked her knuckles for emphasis.

He grinned. "I'd let you kick my ass everyday of the week as long I got to do this afterward." He leaned over and kissed her languidly.

Bra's heart was pounding when he pulled away. "Done." She sat up and turned to give him a literal taste of his own medicine, but a blinding flash shot through the sky. Throwing up a hand to shield her eyes, she looked away. "What the hell was that?"

Goten's face hardened instantly and he started to stand. "I have no idea, but it can't-" The ground rumbled violently, shaking the earth visciously and sending him back into the water. "-be good." He grabbed her wrist and dragged her out of the fountain and onto the grass as the atmosphere lit up like a Christmas tree. It took him a only a second to realize that those weren't shooting stars waiting to be wished upon. "We're being attacked!"

"Ya think?" She was already way ahead of him, ripping the bottom of her dress off and turning it into a mini-dress. The ground shook again, this time cracking open under her feet. She launched herself into the air and hung there watching the fountain she'd suddenly grown fond of, crumple in on itself and disappear. Is this really happening? A deafening crack had her whirling towards the mansion. The same crack that'd inhaled her precious fountain was now working on the foundations of the Briefs Manor. All those people... "Goten!"

The hypnotic trance the decimated city below held on him scattered at her panicked scream. I can't help those people now, it's too late. The fists at his sides clenched hard as he finally spun to see what was wrong. "What?!"

She glared angrily and pointed at the house. "That's what!"

Despite all the sudden chaos, he still had the time to admire her floating in the air like some kind of venomous nymph. With nearly half her dress missing, all she needed was a pair of wings to complete the package. Shaking his head, he let that lovely picture go and turned his attention to the house. "Fuck!'' He leapt up into the air and shot forward like a bullet. An enormous web of crippling cracks were marring the exterior face and he knew that they didn't end there. It's snapping the foundation like a twig. It would only last a few more minutes before buckling under the stress and there were at least one hundred people still inside.

What the fuck is going on?!

Meanwhile

"Yes!" She twirled around the bridge, dancing to a tune only she could hear. "Yes! Kill them all!" She cackled like the Wicked Witch of the West, arms flung out as she spun around and around. Gliding across the slick steel floor, she popped herself up onto the control panel. "What's the percentage, Dearie?"

The subordinate swallowed nervously. "Fifty-four percent, Milady."

"Excellent." She reclined on the panel and ran her forked tongue along her pointed teeth. "You've done a good job."

He bowed his head. "Thank you, Milady."

"Mmm." She lazily dragged a claw down her jawline as she lashed out with her tail.

"Wh-?" His green face slackened as the end of her tail pierced through the back of the chair and tore his spine and throat to shreds. His question ended in gargle of frothing blood.

She leaned forward and grinned as he clawed the wound. "Don't thank me yet." Jerking her thick tail loose, the dark red blood sprayed out of the gaping hole like a geyser. It coated her down to the waist and shorted out the entire panel she was sitting on. Running her claw through a shallow pool between the buttons, she lifted the dripping finger to her mouth and sucked it clean. A good year. A spark shot out from beside her. She frowned. "Oops, silly me."

"Lady Arctica," Her second in command strode in from the hall with his helmet tucked up under one enormous arm. "Do you wish for your transport to be readied?" He paid no attention to the carnage on display.

She tapped her chin in thought and slid to land lightly on her long-toed feet. "Yes." By now, nearly two-thirds of Chikyuu population would obliterated and those left hardly mattered at all. "I want it readied immediately." And the ones I'm really after will be waiting. She glanced back at the pathetic creature twitching in the chair. "And get rid of that."

He did as she bid without comment, slinging the corpse over his shoulder and tromping from the room. He returned a moment later, fingers pressed against the small bud nestled in his bear-like ear. "Transport is awaiting your arrival."

"Very good." She joined him in the hall and strode down into the cargo hold. She took a last glance at the crimson staining her corset-esqe armor and frowned. "Too bad I'll scare all the kiddies away." She couldn't help the peal of rancorous laughter that bubbled up out of her throat. "Chikyuu, I'm back."

A/N: Whew, I'm back. I know it was like I disappeared for a lil while, but I had a lot on my plate for awhile. I'm having a little bit of trouble with this fic....well, I've kinda lost interest in it. Mostly because I haven't gotten all that much feedback (to those who've reviewed....Thanx!) and it's hard for me to continue on without any enthusiasm from my readers. While I don't want to come off as a review whore....I probably will....but I won't post another chapter unless I get at least 5 reviews. If I don't get that many I may just delete this one.....so if you really want it to stay you should review!!! I know this kinda sux for those of you that have reviewed, but I'll bail on a sinking ship. So review!