Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ A Change of Heart ❯ A Night Out On The Town Part 2 ( Chapter 10 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Trunks flipped on the radio, and slid his tongue over the bottom of his teeth out of habit. Marron waved her hand out the window methodically, the wind ripping through her fingers. Pan-having her new car at the ready-had taken Dave with her. Bura had gotten a ride with Donny, leaving Marron to ride with Trunks. The radio played a familiar song, and Marron turned it up.

She sung along with the lyrics, and her down and loose hair blew lightly in the wind. The curls had begun to fall, leaving delicate waves and her hair shined as they passed streetlight after streetlight. She turned and looked at the sullen saiyajin prince, and blinked slowly.

"What are you thinking about?" She asked, and he turned to her, a Vegeta glare edging his gaze. She self-consciously wriggled a little, then smacked herself mentally. This was Trunks; it wasn't like he was going to kill her. She rolled her eyes at her stupidity, and realized he was now looking thoughtful.

"Why do you ask that?" He said, his voice dropping low. She found herself lost in his smooth, deep voice, and shook it off.

"I…I dunno'. Just curious." He steered around a corner on an almost country residential road, and the car hugged the curve. She raised an eyebrow, pressing for an answer still.

"What would you do if I didn't tell you?" He shot a little smirk. She folded her arms and smiled.

"Then I'd have to kill you." He laughed, and she followed, now more at ease with him, the previous awkward silence gone. "I'm serious. What are you thinking about? Or should I now say `were'?" He shook his head and turned on his blinker. The car pulled up behind Pan's and they could see her and Dave talking. He shook his head again. "I guess I don't have to ask." He turned to her quickly, and shot an alert, questioning look. "The whole Pan and Dave thing is really bothering you. I almost swore a couple times I saw a contemptuous glare shooting his way." She gave a mischievous smile. He shook his head, even though a smile was also across his lips. "You hide it about as well as your father does." She titled her head to one side. "But I have to admit, he was never that good." He laughed.

"Just between you and me?" He said, and she nodded.

"Just between you and me."

They pulled into the parking spot next to Pan and Dave, and Bura and her new friend-or more than that-pulled in on their other side. The park had a scattered crowd. Blankets with couple's old and young sitting on them, folding chairs holding families, and several people milling about a small lake.

The group made their way to a spot just beside a weeping willow, near to the lake. They all sat down on the cool grass, and Bura looked around. Everyone soon followed her, expectant.

"When does it start?" Bura asked, turning to the person with the `fireworks at the park' idea. She raised and eyebrow, swinging her legs to the right and lying on her side, resting her head on her hand.

"Um, well, I don't know." She returned, and the group smiled. "Just our luck, eh?" She stood up and went to an older couple sitting near them, and leant forward, speaking. She came back and sat down. "Not for another hour." She said apologetically, and she folded her arms. Bura turned to lie on her stomach and leaned her head on both her arms.

"Guess it's time for a nap?" She said happily through her arms, creating muffled gibberish. Pan poked her, and Bura looked up, her eyes taking the scenic route past Donny's face. He was smiling at her. She grinned to herself and blinked, now looking at Pan. "Yeah?" She said, poking her in the leg back. Pan was sitting with her legs crossed, leaning forward with her elbows on her knees, and her high ponytail twisting around the right side of her neck. Pan shook her head and got up.

"I think I want some ice-cream." She said, and looked to the guys, expecting Dave to stand up, but Trunks beat him to it. She looked at Dave, then Trunks, and smiled, somewhat. "You coming with me?" She said to Trunks, and he nodded, a quirky smirk on his face. She hated that look that made him so cute, so adorably cute!

She took off, and he followed her. Bura turned onto her side again, and she eyed the Chinese restaurant across the street. She looked at Donny, then back at the restaurant.

"You don't want some Chinese, do you?" She said slowly. He smiled, and gave a cute, cocky kind of nod.

"Come on." He said, standing up and offering her his hand. She took it with a playful giggle, and they too left. Marron turned to Dave, and he in turn looked at her. He smiled, and she smiled back. He shrugged his shoulders, and folded his arms.

"Wanna go for a walk?" He asked casually. She stood up and the two of them headed towards the lake.

Pan picked up her banana split; just realizing this would be her second ice-cream of the night. Trunks poked a straw in his shake, and took a sip. Pan looked around and saw Dave and Marron walking by the lake, and Bura and Donny walking across the street to the outdoor food court. Trunks was right behind her, and she turned around quickly.

"What time is it?" She asked, and he pulled up his watch. She cocked a brow while he inspected it.

"Ten-thirty." He said, and looked to the sky as if he saw something. "They better hurry, it looks like rain again." Pan sighed; it had rained every night for almost the whole week. She usually loved rain, but the overload had gotten on her nerves. "You ok?" He asked, turning to her. She wanted to hit him. `You ok?'. Ha, like he cared!

"Yeah." She said absentmindedly, walking back towards their spot on the park lawn. He followed in step behind her, silent, and she sat on a low branch of a sweeping weeping willow. Trunks leaned against it, looking like Vegeta. She poked at her banana, the ice-cream gone, and skewered it as best as she could with a spoon. She sat it down on the ground next to her feet, and folded her arms.

She looked up at him, his hair almost opalescent in the moonlight that shone on it in beams. She smiled to herself; he was handsome. And-she reminded herself-fickle, unpredictable, conceited, and an all out moron. She stopped thinking those things, realizing she was deprecating him. She blew the hair out of her face when she realized she was staring at his chiseled features, forcing herself to look away.

His facial structure was near perfect. In fact, she couldn't find any true flaws. Not even a zit, she realized with chagrin. He even had perfect skin! She rolled her eyes. He turned to her and flashed a smile, Vegeta-teeth shining brightly in a present moonbeam. She couldn't help smiling back, and he shot a smirk. Not a proud, snotty one, but a pleasant, all around good-natured one. At a loss for what to say, she picked up her plastic bowl and chucked it towards the trash. He shook his head, still with that irresistible smirk, and shot his cup in. A streak of hair fell in his eyes, his eyes that glittered in the corners, the eyes she couldn't keep her own eyes off of. He stared back at her without a word, and her onyx eyes didn't blink. Their bodies didn't move an inch, but she felt like she was being drawn closer, as close as you could get…

Marron laughed when Dave finished up his joke, and Trunks and Pan both shot their gazes up at their arriving friends. Bura and Donny were fast approaching also, and Dave started talking to Trunks as Bura let Marron have a bite of her food. Pan pressed a finger lightly, almost gingerly, to her forehead, feeling dizzy.

Conversations continued, but they were all at a loss for her comments, her head was still spinning.

The fireworks burst into an array of blue-green colors. The familiar crackle was heard, and then another one burst, this time red and orange. Finally there was a long pause, and the biggest, the brightest, the most beautiful one exploded in a wave of rainbow colors. High into the air it was, but the size took in all of your sights. It looked like a rainbow caught like a ribbon in the wind, and then it faded with silver glitter dropping down slowly, like snow.

Pan smiled as children tried to catch the glitter, catching most in their hair; their mother's trying to dust it off impatiently. She allowed herself a small giggle while the group stood up and shook their pants free of grass. Bura hopped up, and Donny took her hand. Pan smiled to herself, her giggling subsiding, and they started making their way towards their cars. Rain started sprinkling lightly, not even for worry, and Pan poked her hand in her pocket for her keys. She fumbled around, the group watching and waiting and finally she turned her pockets inside out. She dug into her purse, and Dave stepped forward.

"You got em, Pan?" She looked up at him, then back at her purse. She was now going through the side pockets.

"I don't know. I can't seem to find them." She said, and Bura grabbed Pan's purse, dumping its contents onto the grass. She looked at her blue-haired friend for a moment, and Bura smiled back.

"Easier to look." She said with a sheepish grin, and they both sat down and searched again. Donny dipped on shoulder, his hands in his pockets. Trunks' arms were folded, his back against her car. Dave had his arms folded leaning over the girls. Marron stood with her hands on her hips, her hair billowing around her face; the wind was blowing harder now.

The girls stopped looking, and started shoving things back in her purse. Pan zipped it shut, and the girls looked up at them, frowns on their faces.

"Did you leave them in the car?" Marron asked, slinging her hips to the side. Trunks flipped his head around and looked in the ignition. He shook his head and dropped his arms.

"Yeah, their here." Marron sighed and looked at the two girls. Bura had a goofy grin on her face, and Pan was rolling her eyes. "That still doesn't help us, the car's locked." Trunks said, stating the obvious.

"Well," Bura started. "I'm staying with Marron, and he was going to drive me there. No reason why he can't drive Marron too. That ok?" She asked, looking at him. He nodded his head, hands still in his pockets. "And," She continued. "Trunks is driving Dave back, and that makes Pan on the way." Trunks folded his arms again, and nodded. Bura smiled with her accomplishment, and started towards Donny's car, Marron at their heels. Trunks and Dave started to Trunks' car, and Pan followed awkwardly.

Pan hopped into the back without a word, letting Dave grab the front seat. She flipped open her purse and was digging through it, organizing its contents out of boredom. The guys didn't notice, only continued their conversations about Trunks CD player or something or another. Finally they pulled into Dave's house, and he said his goodbye's before disappearing through his front door.

Trunks slid the gear into reverse, but put the brake on. He looked around casually, gauging his exit from the drive, and said, "Wanna snag the front?" She looked at the back of his head, as was all she could see, and the theater lighting of his car dimmed to an out.

"Uh, I think I'm ok." He smiled to himself and swung the steering wheel to the left. He smirked and looked at her through the mirror.

"I don't bite." He said, and she gave a half smile. He laughed, and waved her to come up. She tossed her purse up before her, and climbed into the front seat. She cracked her knuckles as silence ensued, and they both instantly spoke at once.

"I'm-" They both started, then looked at each other. Pan gave an interested raise of eyebrows, and Trunks cleared his throat. "I…well, I wanted to…" He gave a faraway, nervous look, then blinked. "to apologize for the other night, Pan." She looked down and then back at him.

"Oh, it's ok, Trunks." She said methodically. "Really, it's all good." She added with a smile. "Why…" She stopped, and he turned towards her. She gave a laugh. "What did I do?" She asked gingerly. Their eyes locked, and she saw a glint of…what was the glint she saw? Anger, hate, or something entirely the opposite? She thought it was more contemplation, but her thoughts were snapped from her mind when she saw a car swerving into their lane. "Trunks!" She exclaimed, and he jerked the steering wheel to the right. It was too late though, the other car had hit them head on, and their car flew off the road in a twisting, flipping mess.

She felt everything in slow motion. The car being torn apart, her side banging loudly against the ground as it slowed to a stop, and her slow, echoing cry.

The car slid to a stop far from the road, and she leaned her head back against the seat, feeling blood drip down her forehead. She gave a groan, and felt herself slipping out of consciousness. Her seatbelt had not been hooked since she had crawled to the front of the car, and she had been flung this way and that around the front of the car, miraculously resting back in her seated position.

`No!' She thought quickly. `Don't pass out! Control your body, your nerves.' She thought back to the day when her father and Goku had stressed the importance of this to her. She knew how to do it like the back of her hand. But now was different, she couldn't fight it. She gave another groan and rolled her head back, slipping into darkness.

The engine made a bursting sound, and red flames shot out of the hood.

Trunks eased his legs up with a wince, and grasped the door. He cursed as he broke it loose, and crawled out of the mangled heap that was his car. He stood up quickly, too quickly; he went dizzy. He ran to Pan's side of the car and shattered her window with his fist. Her head slumped to the side, and he ripped the door off. He grabbed her purse and threw it behind him, and picked her up out of her seat gently, and held her close, running fast, making distance between himself and the burning car.

He lied her down, slipping his hand out from under her body. He looked up, a shimmering strand of hair falling into his eyes that glittered from the firelight. He stretched his legs out in front of him, and leaned back on his muscled arms. The car burst into higher flames, and the SUV took off at breakneck speed.

The SUV had just touched the side front of the car, spinning Trunks low-riding sports car wildly, making it appear that their high SUV had hit merely a trashcan. He shook his head and let out a deep sigh. He stood up and retrieved her purse, and sat it down next to her.

Rain started to pour down heavily, and he slipped off his coat, wrapping it around her. He lifted his head skyward, and the wind whipped his hair around his forehead viciously. He picked her up gently, and kicked off the ground, the grass below spreading bigger and bigger the higher he got.

He gripped her tighter headed towards Capsule Corps.