Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ A Lost Love ❯ Discovery ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A Lost Love

By Karete-chan

Chapter 5:

After a quick search of the dark corridor we found a ladder. I made Frame climb it first and had to catch her as she slipped on the curved roof. After some precarious balancing acts we finally made it through the hole and stood in the cool night breeze.

Below us, the party buzzed away and music blared, although, from where we were, it was all a pleasant hum. Trunks sat with his back to us, on a more slanted part of the roof.

"Whatever it is, go away. I'm not interested."

I glanced at Frame who nodded and started to head back through the hole. I grabbed her shirt and shook my head vehemently when she turned pleading eyes on me.

"Actually, we were sent to tell you that your mother is looking for you." I crossed my fingers behind my back. So it was a white lie. Frame glared at me.

Trunks turned around, his unusual coloured hair blowing softly in the wind. I could practically hear Frame swooning behind me as he fixed us with his blue eyes.

"And you are?" he queried.

"Zena," I answered, "and this is Frame." She waved and made some kind of squeaking noise that was lost in the breeze. He seemed to have heard it though, which surprised me, as the wind was blowing away from him and towards us. He raised an eyebrow at her and sighed.

He turned to look back at me. "So the two of you climbed all the way up here to tell me that my mother is looking for me." His eyes narrowed. "How did you get past my family?"

I shrugged. "Same way you did I suppose." For some reason, he smiled at that.

"Well," he said standing. "Better not keep her waiting." He strode over to the ladder and took a step down. "By the way," he asked, looking up as he descended. "She didn't happen to tell you what she wanted me for."

"Only that she wanted to talk to you," I answered as I went to follow him.

When we were all safely inside, Trunks led the way into the lighted areas of the third floor. His family glanced up when we entered, smiled at him and went back to what they were doing.

"You guys want something to drink?" Trunks asked as he moved into what looked like another kitchen.

"Sure!" Frame answered a little too quickly. Again, Trunks raised an eyebrow at her. The red blush that spread across her cheeks was all too plain in the well-lit kitchen. Trunks sighed again and stuck his head in the refrigerator.

"How many kitchens do you have in this house, anyway?" I asked as I settled myself against a long bench. "I think this is the third one I've seen tonight."

Trunks' voice was muffled as he answered. "Three in the main house, some scattered in the labs and my mother just attached a new one to the gravity room."

Frame and I looked at each other. "Gravity room?" I asked.

"Yeah, we use it to test the strength and durability of some of our products." He turned from the fridge, laden with food.

I stared. "Is that all for you?"

Trunks dumped his armload on the bench and tossed a can of drink to each of us. "Yeah. Why? You hungry?"

My eyes widened. He ate almost as much as I did.

He looked sheepish and shrugged. "I'm a bit of a pig," he said grinning.

"No wonder there was so much food downstairs," Frame said from beside me. Trunks glanced over at her and she immediately blushed. He sighed again.

"Some of that was for Goten too," he explained, beginning to butter some bread. "He's a friend of mine."

"Oh, we met Goten already," I said, leaning against the bench. "He invited us."

"Oh," Trunks said without looking up.

Silence fell over us and for a minute or two we just listened to the conversation that was floating in from the other room.

"How did you meet him?" Frame asked.

"Hmm? Who?" Trunks asked, glancing up from making his seventh sandwich.

"Goten." Frame hopped up and sat on the edge of the bench. "Did you guys meet in school or what?"

Trunks smiled. "I've known Goten since we were little. Much to my father's disappointment."

"Doesn't he approve?" I asked.

"You could say that. He's always spouting off about how the Sons are beneath us but I don't think he really believes it." He stopped spreading jam on his tenth sandwich for a moment and smiled at me. "But even if he did kaasan would never let him keep them away. She's been friends with Goten's dad like forever."

"Sounds like your dad's a bummer," Frame said, grabbing an apple.

Trunks took a bite of sandwich. "Nah, not really," he said around a mouthful. "He's pretty good. You just gotta know how to get around him." He swallowed. "My little sister, Bra, she's already got him worked out. Somewhere between the time she learnt to crawl and the time she learnt to talk she wrapped him around her little finger."

"I can believe that. She's a bubbly little thing isn't she?"

"You guys met her too?" he laughed. "Is there anyone I'm close to you haven't run into? Or isn't it a coincidence? You guys aren't cleverly stalking me and leading me into an ingenious trap are you?"

I smiled. "No. That would take important time away from shopping and gossiping."

"You're kidding right?"

"Of course."

He smiled at me again and out of the corner of my eye I thought I saw Frame scowl. That would be the last thing I needed; to lose my only friend over something as stupid as a boy. I was about to suggest leaving when there was a commotion from the other room.

Trunks lent on the bench, his fringe falling in his eyes, and sighed.

Frame reached out to touch his shoulder, hesitated a moment, then pulled her hand away. "What's the matter?" she asked, looking back into the other room.

Trunks sighed again and stood up straight. "It's just someone stirring up trouble."

"So? Won't your family be able to take care of it?"

He looked over at her and I could see the concentration in her face as she fought not to blush. "They'll probably just make the situation worse." He smiled but it seemed strained.

"Why?" I asked, looking him directly in the eye.

To his credit, he didn't look away. Most people usually do. Then they try to hide their inadequacy by attributing it to being startled by my unusual eye colour. To tell the truth, at that moment I felt that his blue eyes were trying to intimidate my golden. People have tried that too. It never worked then and it didn't now.

"My father hates these things," he said after a moment. "You heard the commotion earlier?"

I nodded.

"That was him and his best friend. Though, he'd deny that if you ever asked him."

"Is your dad Gokou or Kakarott?" Frame asked, causing Trunks to look at her again.

He smiled and her face lit up. "Neither. Come on, I'll introduce you. Perhaps it'll help distract him." He led the way through into the other room.

His friends and family looked up when we entered and most of them looked slightly sheepish. A few were standing around glaring. Not at anyone in particular either. It seemed as if they were glaring just for the sake of it; at the wall, the couch, the floor. Goten's father was being glared at by a small dark haired lady who I assumed must have been his wife. But the thing most of them were doing was trying to ignore the row happening on the other side of the room between Bulma and a man I couldn't quite see.

Goten appeared out of nowhere beside Trunks. "Never fails, does it?" he asked in a loud stage whisper. Trunks just shook his head. Then Goten spotted us. "Oh, hey! I see you guys found each other." He nudged Trunks in the ribs. "See I told you she was a cutie." They both glanced at me.

I fumed. Me? A cutie? How dare they fling frivolous words like that about my character! I was about to open my mouth and ruin the good graces I was currently in, when I saw Frame turn abruptly away. In that split second my mind did a complete flip and the words that came out of my mouth were not the ones I had meant to say.

"Oh, see, now look what you've gone and done. Frame's all embarrassed."

Their reaction was surprising. I had always thought the term 'sweat-drop' was a figure of speech. Frame had gone bright red and I knew I'd be told off for that later.

Thankfully we were interrupted.

"Trunks, thank kami," Bulma said, walking over. "I'm sick of dealing with him. So, since this night of festivities was your bright idea, you can explain to him why we have to have, and I quote, 'all these annoying morons around'." She crossed her arms over her chest.

I glanced sideways at Frame, who raised an eyebrow and then twirled her finger around her temple questioningly. I shrugged. The Briefs might be crazy; there certainly were enough people who thought they were but…well, judging from the night we were having so far the rumours were true. They were nice though.

"Onna!"

The events following that word are somewhat hazy in my mind. I remember snippets here and there. Such as the Prince of all Saiyans striding towards us and my heart leaping into my chest as he looked directly at me. It felt as if he knew exactly what I was hiding. I had never been so scared as I was in that moment. It was ludicrous but somehow I had felt myself smile and politely excuse myself. Inside my head, my voice echoed eerily from far away. Then my feet had been moving and Frame and I left the room.

Down the two flights of stairs, past an insult thrown across the room by Floss and out into the night air crowded with partying people. I had lost Frame five rooms ago. Out past the wire fencing and around a corner. Then I ran.

Author's note:

Wow. I can't believe I've finally finished this chapter. Writing in the first person is hard.

Anyhoo, sorry for making you guys wait so long and sorry for this being such a short chapter. To Meiharu - well here it is. Enjoy.