Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Bad Decisions ❯ Yamucha is Dead ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Bulma rolled out of bed very early in the morning to a ringing phone and answered sleepily. "Briefs residence, Bulma speaking."

"Ms. Briefs? This is Sacred Heart Hospital. We have just gotten a call that a man named Yamcha has just been admitted. Yours was the only phone number we could find in his wallet, is this correct?"

"Yes, oh my gosh, what happened to him?"

"He has been diagnosed with alcohol poisoning."

Bulma gasped. "Is he okay?"

"He's in critical condition right now, and the doctors are working on hooking him up to dialysis machines and getting fluids into his body to help flush out the alcohol. We need you to came down and fill out some forms, and be here in case something were to happen."

"Of course, I'll be there as soon as possible. Thank you, goodbye." She slipped out of bed and got dressed quietly. Vegeta stirred and sleepily asked her where she was going. "I'm going to the hospital, Yamcha's in trouble."

"Dende, what did he do, get drunk and hit by a car?"

"No, he drank too much, now he's got alcohol poisoning." Vegeta automatically straightened up. He knew this had to be serious. He didn't care much for this human, but Bulma did. He had to respect her wishes now more than ever. Their relationship was too new. He nodded solemnly and Bulma gave him a weak smile as she pulled on her shoes and coat. She grabbed her car keys and headed out the door.

**********

The stretcher bearing Yamcha sped through the emergency room. Various IVs and machines were pushed in behind him. Doctors and nurses passed bags of glucose and plasma around, hooking a few up now to the drip, setting others in the cooler to be used later. Yamcha remained motionless on the stretcher as they transferred him to a bed. The dialysis machine hummed and the heart monitor beeped as they began their new mission: to save this alcoholic from himself. The commotion died down as he was upgraded to serious from critical. He was still unconscious when Bulma showed up.

**********

She walked in and complained to herself about how tedious the forms had become since her last trip to the ER. She immediately quieted when she caught sight of him. He was so pale. She was not allowed in, but there was a window that let her see into the room. She touched her fingers on the glass as she breathed a heavy sigh.

"Geeze, Yamcha, what have you done this time?" She stood, open-mouthed at the site of him. The machines hummed, she could hear them through the glass. She hated the noise, though she knew it was all that kept him alive. Why hadn't he realized that the moment you decide to join AA, you're supposed to stop drinking? She began to cry quietly. A doctor walked up behind her.

"Miss, are you with this man?"

"Yeah, yes I am." She wiped her eyes and looked at the doctor.

"He's been upgraded from critical to serious and he's been stabilized. You can go in for 10 minutes every hour if you like, but we don't expect him to wake up until he's been upgraded again. Just tell the nurse that Dr. Kleegar gave you permission. She'll understand." Bulma nodded and looked into his eyes as he left, the dark green color of them seemed to calm her. His nametag read Drew Kleegar. It sounded kinda familiar. She shrugged it off and looked in on a nurse changing the bag of glucose that was connected to his arm. She sighed and headed back towards the waiting room. It was gonna be a long day.

**********

Chi-chi was in the kitchen, chopping mountains of breakfast fixings when the phone rang. She wiped her hands on her apron and answered it.

"Moshi, Moshi."

"Chi-chi, hi, it's me, Bulma."

"Ah! Bulma! It's great to hear from you!" She heard the intercom blare behind Bulma's voice. "Where are you?"

"I'm at Sacred Heart. Yamcha's in serious condition."

Chi-chi gasped, almost dropping the phone. "Don't tell me Vegeta beat him up again..."

"No, he's got alcohol poisoning." Bulma cried into the phone. "He went out for one last binge before joining AA, Chi-chi. It's all my fault!"

"What? What do you mean it's your fault? This is no one's fault but his own!"

"No, Chi-chi. It's mine. I left Yamcha for someone else."

"WHAT?! Who?"

"Vegeta." Chi-chi almost exploded. As Chi-chi yammered into the phone about Vegeta's horrible past and how wonderful Yamcha was to her, Goku staggered into the room, closely followed by Gohan. They watched her in the kitchen, holding the phone on her shoulder as she chopped furiously. They decided against asking what was wrong, and went to go start another day of training for the androids.

**********

Bulma had just calmed Chi-chi down when a lady asked her if she could please borrow her cell phone. She was hesitant at first, but then after saying her goodbye, hung up on a still-yelling Chi-chi. She handed the woman her phone and looked at her watch. It was almost time for another 10- minute visit to his room. She stood and told the woman to keep the phone until she came back. The lady nodded and Bulma began the slow walk to the ICU

She had just turned the corner, not 20 feet from the door to Yamcha's room when through the window, she saw him begin to shake furiously. She rushed up to the glass and heard the intercom blare a code name and Yamcha's room number. She pressed her hand against the glass and watched doctors and nurses swarm into the room one after another. He was injected with a sedative and the shaking soon stopped, but so did his heart.