Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Bad Decisions ❯ The Good Doctor Kleegar ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The monitor began to hum in a monotone and the nice doctor from early this morning, Dr. Kleegar, picked up the defibrillator and charged it up before shocking Yamcha's chest. No response. He charged it up higher. Nothing. She heard him yell at the nurse to crank it and he pressed the paddles to Yamcha's chest one last time. Yamcha jumped with the full shock and the heart monitor responded with an erratic heartbeat that soon grew into steady blips once more. Bulma sighs and leaned against the glass, crying softly once more.

A sudden pressure on her shoulder drew her away from the glass and turned her onto a broad chest as strong arms surrounded her and rocked her slowly as she cried into his shirt. One hand patted the back of her head and a soothing voice shushed he softly. She didn't care who it was; he was there to hold her in her time of need. But who knew she was here? By now, Goku probably knew from Chi-chi and Krillin might know by now, too. This man was taller than Krillin, but not as tall as Goku, so it could only be one man.

She pulled away and looked up into the face of her new lover, Vegeta.

His face wasn't one of rock-hard anger or hatred, but one he only let her see. It was softer than normal; his eyes seemed to sparkle with care for her. He spoke a few unintelligible words and laid her head back down on his chest, holding her tightly. They stood there for what seemed like and hour before walking back to the waiting room together. The lady she had loaned her phone to handed it to Vegeta and he slipped it into Bulma's purse after thanking the woman, who introduced herself as Nancy Kleegar. Bulma looked up.

"Kleegar? You're related to Dr. Kleegar in the ICU?"

"Yes, he's my husband." Bulma cried once more and hugged Nancy, leaving Vegeta sitting there, looking rather uncomfortable.

"Your husband just saved my friend's life!" She cried into Nancy's shoulder. Nancy patted her on the back and hugged her. She handed Bulma off to Vegeta, who held her once more before handing her a box of tissues. Nancy thanked them once again for using the phone and gave them her consolations, hoping that Yamcha got better.

**********

Vegeta got out of bed an hour after Bulma left and got dressed. He was debating whether to go train or to go to the hospital to be with Bulma. He sat on the edge of the bed when he heard the phone ring. Not feeling up to his usual tormenting self, he answered with a sad voice. "Yeah?"

"Vegeta, is that you? What are you doing on Bulma's phone line? Oh wait, never mind..." 'Great,' thought Vegeta, 'it's Kakarot's mate.'

"What is it?"

"I was wondering if Bulma was there. I just got a call from her on her cell, and now it's busy. She said something about Yamcha having alcohol poisoning and being in ICU. Is it true?"

"Woman, I assure you, you know more than I do on this subject. All I know is that the drunk's in the hospital with a nearly-fatal condition."

"Of course. I suppose I'll be heading down there--"

"No. I will go. You keep Kakarot from running himself into trees or whatever he does while training with the brat."

"Sure thing Vegeta." Her eye-roll was almost audible. He hung up Bulma's phone and pulled on his shoes before going out onto the balcony and taking off.

When he arrived at the hospital he walked up to the receptionist and asked where the ICU was. She told him how to get there and he made his way there, weaving through stretchers and nurses, and worried families. The closer he got; he noticed how everyone's emotions turned darker and darker. This must be where the serious cases were taken. He heard a strange alarm go off. He saw Bulma standing pressed against a glass window, looking into a room.

He walked up behind her and noticed that she didn't notice him there. He looked into the room and saw the doctor work furiously to get some strange monitor to work by shocking Yamcha with electric pads.

Yamcha jolted and the monitor began a rhythmic beeping noise. He guessed it was a good thing, because everyone in the room seemed to breathe a sigh of relief. He looked down at Bulma, who had begun to cry again. He pulled her to him and rubbed her back as he made calming shushing noises, trying to get her to calm down. They stood there for a few minutes, just rocking slowly, as her shuddering sobs turned into a slight whimper.

They walked back to the ICU waiting room and were approached by a woman who handed him Bulma's cell phone. He slipped in her purse and let the girls talk for a bit. He was a bit surprised when Bulma hugged her, mumbling something about the lady's husband "...saved my friend's life." He smirked as he thought of the doctor with the electric pads. This woman must be his wife. He nodded at her as she left and he held Bulma's hand, not saying a word. She must have gotten some sort of signal of his anxiety, because she broke the silence.

"Now we have to wait for a doctor to come and give us a briefing on what happened to Yamcha." He nodded and she laid her head on his shoulder, closing her eyes. He looked around the waiting room, several families showing monstrous angst sat around the room. A few small children ran around as if nothing was wrong, but he knew they were too young to understand mortality. He felt Bulma's breathing steady as she fell asleep, still laying on his shoulder. He smirked; glad she was finally getting some sleep. He picked her up and laid her across the sofa on the opposite wall of the room, sitting next to her and picking up a magazine.

**********

A half-hour later, Dr. Kleegar came out of Yamcha's room. He strode down the hall to the waiting room and looked for the blue-haired woman he saw earlier that morning. He saw her asleep on the sofa with a man sitting next to her, holding her sleeping hand. He was getting rather confused. He thought the girl was Yamcha's girlfriend, but this new man had a very protective air around him as he stroked the back of her hand with his thumb and flipped through a martial arts magazine with his other hand. This man was a lot buffer than Yamcha, and he was shorter, too. He stood beside him and cleared his throat, causing the man to snap his head up rather quickly. The doctor began his prepared speech.

"Um, are you here with Yamcha?" The man nodded and introduced himself as Vegeta, Bulma's boyfriend. He shook his hand and spoke clearly and articulately. "Yamcha had a scare with the sedative we gave him to calm his delirium tremens. We gave him the normal amount given to patients like him, but he has sensitivity to sedatives for some reason. When Bulma wakes up, could you ask her if she knows if he ever had any past abuse of pain killers or morphine?" Vegeta nodded. "Great! Other than that, he has been upgraded once more and should wake up sometime in the next 4 hours. I have authorized visitations to increase to a half hour every hour and will allow 2 people in at a time now."

Vegeta thanked him and the doctor hugged his wife quickly before heading back into the ICU. He felt suddenly jealous of the doctor. He looked over to a sleeping Bulma, now wearing his jacket as a blanket. `Who knows,' he thought to himself, `this could be the beginning of something like that.'