Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Beyond All Expectations ❯ Some Things You Just Can't Forget ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: Well, the last time I checked, I still didn't own them. Darn.

 

A/N: It would seem you've actually hung in there for part two. I guess I must have done something right in the first chapter. Well, I hope you enjoy this one as much.

 

Looking back, as silly as it sounds, I guess it was fear which caused me to vacate the premises so quickly that morning. Without a word, careful not to make a sound, I snuck out the door and drove away for home. I hoped Puar wasn't too worried, and maybe spending some time with her might help me forget my scare.

 

I found myself in an almost daydream state, taking the longest way home possible without realizing I was doing so. I simply could not believe my luck. I had found a girl who had awakened the inner Yamcha, who was not only beautiful, intelligent and actually returned my interest, but she was one of my best friends' daughter, Marron.

 

All the while I was driving, the thoughts, "I am in so deep!" and, "Krillin and Eighteen are going to kill me!" kept repeating in almost musical cadence in my brain.

 

Why might they want to kill me, you ask? The picture had shown me more than just any family. Oh no, my latest attraction was standing square between one of my best friends and his wife: Krillin and Eighteen. Candy had turned out to be the sweet little girl sitting on my knee during the last World Martial Arts Tournament I had attended, Marron.

 

In the end, I finally decided it would be in everyone's best interests for me to just stay away. After all, heartache seemed to follow me everywhere I went, and I certainly did not want Marron to suffer because of me. Maybe if I backed off before anything got started, Krillin and Eighteen would show me mercy, should they ever discover how I had defiled their little girl. Yes, it was best for everyone. Everyone but my heart, that is.

 

I remained in such a state of mind as long as I could, which, due to my inability to stop thinking about her, how she was and all, was about one month. One long month of being on the road, coaching players with less talent for baseball than Yajirobe had for manners, left me feeling lonely and bitter. Finally, I realized I could not forget about her. If I was to ever have any peace, I had to find her.

 

That one night with dear, sweet Marron and I was hooked. I could not continue living knowing what being with her felt like; knowing I could never feel like that again. I was addicted. Without her, I was walking around with a gaping hole through my heart, a hole only she could fill.

 

So, my next free weekend, I got in one of my many sports cars and drove back to the spot I had left my angel sleeping so peacefully in her queen-sized bed.

 

I knocked on her door before I realized I had even gotten out of my car. When I got no answer, I frowned and moved to peer into open windows showing a completely empty house, no longer someone's home. She was gone, gone without a trace.

ButI couldn't give up that easily. I might not have known where she went, nor was her ki strong enough for me to track, but I had to find her! My heart demanded it of me.

 

As luck would have it, a couple about my age had stepped out of the house to the side of hers. Without a second thought, I called a greeting out to them and jogged over to seek enlightenment as to the whereabouts of my darling.

 

"I'm sorry to bother you, but do you have any idea what happened to Miss Candy next door?" I asked in my most pleasantly charming voice.

 

Thankfully, the wife had an answer as her eyes dropped and she shook her head sadly, "Poor dear. Always was a sweetheart. You know she used to watch our daughter?

 

"Well, things got hard at the beauty shop where she worked…. She's a great beautician. She did my hair a couple of weeks ago. Did the best job I've ever had." She modeled her hair, killing precious moments I could have used to find my world.

 

"Anyway, money got tight, and when it came time for rent, she just couldn't pay. Poor thing couldn't go home, something about a fight with her parents. So she ended up moving in with a friend of hers," the lady finally finished up.

 

"You wouldn't happen to have the address?" I asked, begging Dende, or fate, or whatever would be on my side for this one precious miracle.

 

"Actually…" she began to dig in her purse, "I have it here, in my wallet." As she spoke, the woman was pulling out a piece of paper with writing on it. "Here ya go. That's where she is now." She handed me the paper. "I need that though. I don't have another copy, and I'll probably need a sitter."

 

"No problem," I spoke absently as I stared at the beautiful letters and numbers on the page, all guiding me to Marron, simultaneously thanking whoever had come through for me. Dende really is a swell kid.

 

Pulling out my Pocket PC, I jotted the offered information down and handed the paper back to the lady. "I appreciate all your help. Thank you, so much," I had smiled gratefully. It was about time I stopped ingesting small talk and began my search. I knew where she was! All I had left was finding the actual location. I figured it could not be too difficult if I could ever get away from the twits in my life, always looking to drag me into useless and tiresome conversations.

 

"No problem," the kindly neighbor lady replied, preparing to trap me in another conversation.

 

"You have a nice day, and good luck," the husband spoke up, saving me from further annoyance. Living with the woman, I can only suppose he understood how I felt.

 

Laughing, the wife complied. "Yes, I hope you find her." After another round of quick smiles, the couple headed on their way, and me with mine. I was done with doing the polite and proper thing. I was on a mission for true love, and no obstacle could withstand me.

 

As I got closer and closer to the address I had procured, I became more and more nervous. I knew she would not be pleased with me and had to be pretty stressed out about her job, but I was willing to face anything for my Marron. Even if my reception was not a warm, welcoming one, I simply had to see her(,) or at least die trying.

 

Parking my car, I double checked the address I had been given. I was at the correct home. If I had thought Marron's first home had been in a lower class area, this new residence could only be described as "ghetto" as I took in the gang related artwork covering the residence in between the bar clad windows. Lovely area, indeed.

 

I frowned deeply as I stepped out of my car, double checking that I had locked my doors. I didn't plan to be inside long enough to need to encapsulate my vehicle. I honestly feel sorry for anyone who might think they could steal my car with me within eyesight. Just because I had not fought a super villain since Cell did not mean I could not take out a few ordinary punks; even if they did have guns. I might not be able to take Goku to the ground, but I never have been what one might call, "ordinary."

 

At the door, I took a deep breath before raising my hand for a good solid knock against the faux oak, more like thin aluminum really.

 

Almost immediately after my first rap, I heard the sounds of children running and screaming through the house. It took a few moments and a loud, "Shut up, now!" for the door to open, revealing a tired looking brunette with a cigarette in one hand, a diet cola in the other and a child behind each leg. "Can I help you?" she asked.

 

I put on my award-winning smile. "I certainly hope so," I opened. "You see, I'm looking for a friend and was told she's staying here. Her name is Candy."

 

When I mentioned I was looking for Candy, the woman's eyes changed. She began sizing me up. Once she was satisfied, the lady had turned into the house and yelled, "Candy! Company!" as she began shuffling away from the door with both her children in tow.

 

A moment later, my angel appeared. "Yamcha?" she questioned, obviously confused. I was simply thankful she remembered my name. "What are you doing here?"

 

"Well, I came to see you, of course." I had still been hoping my charm would be able to worm me out of any trouble I had incurred with her from my month-long absence.

 

"It certainly took you long enough to want to see me again. How'd you manage to find me anyway? If you had come over about two weeks ago, I would still be at my old house. Then again, I can only assume that wouldn't have changed my waking alone in bed." Bright blue eyes flashed angrily. The hurt had been blatantly obvious. I remember sending yet another prayer for her forgiveness. Dende seemed to be on my side, at the time at least.

 

I nodded. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have been so thoughtless," I began the apology (that?) I hoped would place me in her good graces once again and hopefully, her arms and heart as well.

 

"I had intended to be there beside you when you woke. I guess I kinda got scared that you wouldn't feel the same when you awoke as you did falling asleep. So, I left early.

 

"Since then, I've realized I made a mistake. I went to your old place, harassed your new address from your neighbors, and now that I'm here, I have an offer I'd like to extend to you," I finished, hoping she'd take the bait.

 

"An offer?" Marron asked suspiciously as the female toddler from earlier had walked up from behind her, carrying a box of juice precariously in her stubby hands.

 

Tugging on Marron's sleeve, the girl garbled out the word, "Juice," as she held the box up for the straw to be inserted. With a sigh Marron had taken the box, quickly unwrapped the straw and after firmly thrusting it into the box, obviously relieving pent up anger, she handed it back to the child. The little girl, of course, then raised her arms and demanded, "Up!" Once again, Marron sighed before lifting the babe to her hip.

 

"Better?" Marron asked the girl who responded with a small grin and nod as she sucked down the juice in her box. Marron looked at me again. "You mentioned something about an offer?"

 

I nodded to her. "An offer."

 

Curiosity overrode Marron's judgment, and she asked me, "What kind of offer?"

 

"One you can't refuse." I put on my suave smile and caring eyes. I should have been an actor. "Pack your things. Let me take you away from here. Come, live with me, at least until you get back on your feet. Call it…an apology package."

 

Just as I concluded, a "no" already forming on Marron's lips, the other toddler came running up to us, buck naked, diaper in hand, his mother cussing him in the background. After one look at the boy, Marron turned grateful eyes to me and silently nodded. "I'll get my things now."

 

Ten minutes later, withtwo suitcases in my trunk, we rode in silence toward our new home, together. At least for a while.

 

On arrival, I got Marron's bags and carried them to her room for her. "It's not four-star, but I hope you're comfortable. I'm not exactly used to having company." I set her luggage on her bed.

 

Marron smiled bashfully at me, her eyes wide since we had pulled into the drive, taking in the finery. "It's…I don't know what to call it," she finally stammered.

 

I couldn't help but find myself chuckling at her awe. "Most usually use the words `decorating disaster' or something along those lines. I never claimed to be Martha Stewart."

 

"Well, I think it's nice," Marron complimented, finally meeting my eyes for the first time since we had left, finally seeming comfortable in my company.

 

"Thank you." I smiled warmly, turning toward the door. Stopping just short of exiting, I turned back. "I'll let you get settled in now, Marron." I smiled before beginning to turn back and step out the doorway.

 

"Marron?" her tone had changed. "Why did you call me that? No one calls me, Marron." Marron paused a moment, her eyes sad. "She died a long time ago." The sadness faded somewhat as her anger returned, "What right do you have to call me that?!"

 

With a deep breath, I turned to face my fate and one pair of angry, flashing blue eyes. As a child I had always seen so much of Krillin in her, I almost forgot sometimes that she was Eighteen's daughter as well. There was certainly no mistaking it when she was angry. The family resemblance was unmistakable. I understood why Krillin was so cowed to his wife.

 

"It's your name, your real name," I had calmly spoken.

 

Eyes still narrowed, she replied, "How do you know that?"

 

I sighed. "I guess you don't remember, but I've known you since you were a little girl. Your father was my best friend until after Buu. We trained under the same master, Master Roshi."

 

Marron gasped audibly as she realized what my words meant.

 

Before she could interrupt me with an interrogation, I continued. "That's a lot of the reason I skipped out on you. When I woke up, I saw the picture of your family on your dresser and realized who you are or were. I didn't know what to do. I knew if your parents found out, there would be no place safe to hide in the universe. Not even the afterlife would be safe.

 

"Even more than that, I didn't think it would be good for you to become attached.

 

"The problem was: I overlooked one small detail. I couldn't get you out of my head. That's why I came looking for you. I was determined to find you," I finished my explanation, hoping my angel would not be too angry, flying to a refuge I could not find now that I had gone to the trouble of being honest, ofconfessing.

 

Looking at the plush carpet, eyes lost deep in thought, Marron finally raised a set of extremely exhausted eyes to mine. "So, you're not here because of my parents?" more of a statement than a question.

 

"No," I shook my head. "I haven't seen or spoken to your parents in well over a decade. We just…fell out of touch. Why would you think I was here because of them?"

 

Marron's eyes became clouded as she sighed heavily. "Because, I'm in hiding; sorta. My parents were driving me crazy! I was always cooped up on that island with them; I never got the chance to make my own decisions, my own mistakes!

 

"Finally, I mentioned to them how I felt and we had a huge argument. It was really bad. Later that night, I ran away.

 

"I haven't been home since. I've been on my own for three years now. I knew they would come looking for me. That's why I hid and changed my name," Marron solemnly explained her story.

 

"Do you miss them?" I remember asking.

 

"Well…" Marron hesitated before sighing. "Yes. I do miss them."

 

Taking a few steps toward her, my body language open, unassuming, I continued. "Then, let's go see them."

 

Marron's eyes shot open. "What?! I can't do that!"

 

"Why not?" was my calm counter.

 

"Because…because…because I just can't!" she articulated.

 

I took another stop closer to Marron, standing close in front of her. "Yes, you can. And I think you should. Sure, I can easily see your parents going overboard with you, but you obviously miss them and I'm sure they miss you. They would be proud to know you made it on your own this long and grateful to know you're still alive. It's not like they would try and make you stay or anything now that you've proven you can be independent and be alright."

 

Raising my hand to gently stroke a soft cheek not my own, I finished my thoughts. "All I'm asking is that you give it some consideration. I think it would be good for all of you, and you'd be much happier."

 

Frowning a little, wrinkling her pretty little face, Marron looked up at me. "All right. I don't promise anything, but I'll think about it."

 

I smiled and nodded. "That's all I ask. Now, I'm going to let you get settled in. Let me know if you need anything."

 

After Marron had smiled and nodded to me, I left the room to let her alone. She needed time to think and unpack all her luggage, not just the tangible ones.

 

"Who's that?" a squeaky voice startled me in the hall.

 

Quickly glancing up, I chuckled. "That would be Candy, or as you and I know her better, Marron, Krillin and Eighteen's daughter." I began walking down that hall toward my spacious den area.

 

"Didn't you go out with a Candy not too long ago?" Puar followed me.

 

"Yeah…that's her."

 

"Ah," Puar replied knowingly. "She sure turned out pretty. Is that where you were all day?"

 

"Yes," I answered her, growing weary of playing twenty questions. "She needs help, so she's going to be staying here."

 

"Okay, Yamcha. No need to get defensive. Just be careful. She's not like the rest," Puar cautioned as she continued floating down a hallway toward the kitchen while I had stopped at the den's entrance.

 

I frowned. "I know that. Krillin and Eighteen would kill me for getting involved with her."

 

"That's not what I meant," Puar called out as she disappeared from sight around a corner, leaving me to ponder the exact meaning of her words. Since when had my best friend, the blue cat, become so sophic?

 

Top of the seventh inning and the Barracudas were ahead by eight. Our next game was against the Barracudas, and if they played half as hot, they were certainly going to give us a run for our money. To beat them, I knew I had to study their play for a strategy. We simply could not lose the game. The thought was inconceivable.

 

I had probably already lost Marron. Though we had parted on good terms earlier, I could not seem to suppress the overwhelming feeling that whatever spark had been ignited our first night together had been thoroughly extinguished by the cold, hard truth. I had searched and found Marron only to lose her again as she lay in a bed only a few doors down from my own. Such seemed my luck. Go figure.

 

Looking back at the television confirmed the Barracudas had won. Twenty-four to thirteen. I clicked off the television and with a sigh, got up for bed. So much for watching the game for a strategy.

 

Wearing my favorite silk boxers, I crawled beneath the covers, clicking off the light for sleep. Lying in bed, I had stared at the ceiling, millions of thoughts running through my head, and even more worries.

 

I was awakened by the sound of my door opening, a sound so soft only ears on a body honed to near perfection from years of martial arts and living alone in a desert could hear. A shadow fell across the bed as light from the hall glinted on blonde locks.

 

"Do you mind if I join you tonight? I couldn't sleep alone," came a tentative request from my doorway.

 

Sitting up, I clicked on my lamp. Standing in my doorway had been Marron in a just above the knee, pink nightgown. Looking her up and down, I had nodded. "Well, if you want to, certainly. There's plenty of room," I motioned to my king-sized bed.

 

A light blush had colored Marron's cheeks as she gracefully crossed the room and sat beside me on the bed, her body tense yet seemingly happier.

 

"Better?" I asked.

 

Marron nodded a little. "Yes, it's much better."

 

I smiled softly at her. "Good. Well, goodnight." I leaned over to kiss Marron on the forehead, just like the father figure I was supposed to be should do.

 

The next thing I knew, our lips had been pressed together as our tongues danced.

 

The night later found Marron, exhausted, sleeping soundly on my bare shoulder. A satin sheet covered her body as it lay pressed to mine.

 

Still lost in a haze of bliss, I remember reaching out to click off the light, vowing to deal with any demons, after sunrise. For one more night, I would enjoy the feeling of a sleeping angel in my arms. Even if it did turn out to be only one more night.

 

A/N: So, what did you think? Did this chapter live up to the expectations set by the first? Once again, I can't hear you! That's why I need you to review! Let me know what you think, good or bad. I'll be waiting. Until next time, Peace and Out.