Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Compromise ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Compromise
 
Chapter One
 
[Trunks]
 
The picture lay on my desk both boys staring up at me. One of them with violet hair and blue eyes, me at age eight. The other one with black, spiky hair and dark eyes was Goten, age seven. The picture had been taken not long after Buu had been defeated. Those times were some of the best of my life, when the two of us would go off on adventures, fighting imaginary or real villains. Now, however, those days were long behind me. Earth had been at peace for nearly fifteen years and I haven't seen Goten since around the time I started high school.
 
The reasons for us drifting apart had been the usual stuff. We didn't attend the same school, we were both busy with homework and family, and slowly we'd just made new friends. As this happened we'd talked less and less and saw each other even more seldom than that. Eventually our own separate lives had taken over and we'd stopped talking all together.
 
As time had gone on he'd become more of a vague thought in the back of my mind that would sometimes cause to me to wonder what had become of him. A couple nights ago however, I'd been going through some old boxes that had been stuck in the back of my closet since I'd moved into my room at Delta Beta Zeta. That's where I'd come across the old photo; it had been at the bottom of a shoebox.
 
I hadn't really given a lot of thought to Goten since I'd gone off to College. This picture had brought all the good times back. I pull out my phone wondering if he was still living with Goku and Chi Chi and what he would think if I called after so many years. As I flipp through the phone's contacts it began to vibrate in my hand as Queen's “Good Old-Fashioned Lover Boy” filled the room and the screen flipped over to the incoming call display. The name read “Dillon Hanson” with a picture of a dark haired, round face guy.
 
I stared at the picture for a moment, not sure if I wanted to answer it or not. Dillon's a guy that I go to school with and that I also hook up with on occasion; normally just when I don't feel like going to club or bar but do feel like having sex.
 
I push the silence button on the phone and set it on the desk, no longer sure if I want to call Goten. What would he say? What would he be doing with his life? What would he think of what I'd been doing with my own life…?
 
My thoughts were cut short as Bra enters the office. “Trunks, mom wants you.”
I look up at her before asking, “What does mom want?”
 
Bra gives me a little shrug. “I don't know,” with this response she turns and exits the room.
 
Letting out a sigh I stand and head for the door when the floor began to roll under me. My first thought is that there's an earthquake, but that doesn't make much sense considering that West City isn't near a fault line. The next thing I think is that there was an explosion and I run to the window immediately searching for power levels. There were five or so not far outside the city in the direction of the blast that are too high to be an average human.
 
I turn and run out of the room to the main part of the house looking for my father. Instead I run into my mom. “Mom, where's dad?”
 
“Trunks, I wanted to talk to you…” she tried to tell me but I was far too preoccupied by the fact that there was actually something on Earth that was a threat.
 
“Not now mom! A group of creatures with high power levels just blew something up outside of the city. I need to find dad!” Having explained this I ask again, “Do you know where he is?”
 
She pauses for a second before asking, “Do you think they're here to destroy Earth?”
“I don't know, but I need dad so we can go find out,” I tell her, giving her a look that I hope says `I'm really not kidding'.
 
“Well…I saw him in the kitchen shoving food into his face,” I watch as her nose wrinkles at the thought of my father eating, “but that was about five minutes ago, so he's probably in the GR.”
 
I give her a small nod as I quickly run off in the direction of the gravity room. It doesn't take me long to reach it and I immediately pound on the door, “Dad!” There's no response so I pound on it again, this time longer. It takes a minute or two but eventually he opens the door.
 
“What do you want?” he snaps at me in his gruff voice.
 
“Dad, there was an explosion just out side of town and I sensed about five higher than average power levels in that area,” I finish explaining this to him quickly eager to get out there and find out what was going on.
 
He paused for a moment, his eyes narrowing slightly before pushing past me while saying, “What are you waiting for?”
 
Nodding I quickly followed him down the hallway; the thought of a fight had my blood pumping.
 
 
[Goten]
 
I'm not completely sure how I've managed to get myself into this situation. I've just finished having lunch…with my fiancé. The only problem is I don't really like her. She seems kind of stuck up. She also says that I eat like a pig, but I've never seen a pig eat, so I don't know.
 
This whole thing started about two months ago when my mom asked me when I was going to get married. I guess telling her that I didn't know because there wasn't anyone I liked that much wasn't the best idea.
 
That comment led to her finding me a fiancé, but not just any fiancé. She's rich, comes from a long line of…I don't know. She's said what was but I can never seem to remember. Whatever it is, I don't think I want to hear about it for the rest of my life.
I also don't want to tell my mom that I don't want to marry the woman she's picked out for me. This puts me in a very bad place.
 
Before my thoughts can go any farther my dad busts into the room, “Come on Goten! Bulma just called and said there was some sort of huge explosion outside West City and that there are five aliens with high power levels! She wants us to go check it.”
 
I'm surprised by his entrance into my room but I'm not sure what to do about what he's telling me. There are aliens who blew something up…but Earth has been in peace for so long.
 
“Goten, let's go, I can't wait to see what these guys are like!” my dad says, he reminds me of what Gohan and I used to be like before we got gifts on our birthdays.
I stand up, “Alright, let's go!” Whatever it is it might be fun to fight something for a change.
 
My dad smiles as we both head for the door. As we start to take off he adds, “Oh, and Bulma also said that Trunks and Vegeta are on their way too. Won't it be fun to see them again!”
 
Trunks, the name gives me that kind of swirly feeling in my tummy, though I'm not sure why. I haven't seen Trunks in years. Not since the year he started high school. At first it had seemed like the start of any other school year. Then after about a month I'd call or go over to Capsule Corp. and Bulma would tell me that he was busy or out with people from his school.
 
At first it was only sometimes, but eventually it had become most of the time. And after awhile I'd stopped calling and going over there, not that I'd made very many friends other than him to hang out with but it had given me more time to study. Not that I'd really done much of that even with the extra time.
 
As we approach we slow slightly trying to make out what's going on. It looks as if two races are arguing intently as Trunks tries to calm them. Or to at least stop trying to kill each other.
 
The first thing that I notice about Trunks is how tall he's gotten. Not that I'm short, but the last time that I'd seen him he'd only been slightly taller than Vegeta. Now he stands a good deal over his dad. The next thing I notice is that other than that not a lot else about him had change. His face is a little thinner, his hair slightly shorter but overall the same old Trunks…well the same young Trunks.
 
For some reason the sight of him causes my heart rate to accelerate a little. Or maybe that's because of the immanent possibility of battle. I think I'll go with the last one.
 
Now the two aliens Trunks had been speaking to look as though they're getting read to actually attack each other, or possibly Trunks. It's a little hard to tell since Trunks is kind of standing between them He lets out a sigh before turning slightly to Vegeta and saying “Ok dad, you can fight them now, talking to them isn't working.”
 
Vegeta smirks and my dad, looking very happy flies down into the crater and says, “Hey Vegeta, mind if I take one?”
 
“Yes, Kakarrot, I would mind if you take one,” Vegeta snapped back at my dad.
 
“Oh, ok. I'll take two then!” My dad starts to walk of in the direction of the aliens before Vegeta stops him by grabbing his shoulder.
 
“No Kakarrot, you are not going to take two! I go here first, these are my creatures to defeat!”
 
Trunks now seems tired of waiting for out dads to finish arguing and starts the fight without them. He punches one of the aliens in the face before shooting small ki blast at the other one.
 
From my view in the sky the other aliens who are not currently part of the fight don't seem too pleased with what Trunks has just done. The two standing on the side of the crater that the alien Trunks had punched jumped down and headed in his direction, the alien on the other side of the crater flew up into the sky…where he noticed me.
 
Having noticed me there all of a sudden he changes the direction he was headed in. Now he's coming straight for me. I'm not sure why, its not like I've done anything in this fight so far. I've just been hanging out in the sky. Still, I have to dodge his attack as he tries to punch me in the face.
 
Having missed his fist I knee him in the stomach then elbow him in the back of the head, sending him falling to Earth. In a moment I'm next to him, kicking him in the side and sending him flying into the wall of the crater. His power lever isn't very high so I don't think is going to take long.
 
I watch him as he works very hard to get to his feet. He looks over at me, his gaze icy before he glances over to where Trunks and the other four aliens are. With a sickened snort he float into the air and then I see a spaceship take off. I don't really see the harm in letting him go, it's not like he was trying to blow up the Earth or anything. At least it didn't look like it.
 
Now looking back over to where Trunks had been fighting he's standing there with three bodies laying around his feet. In the background I hear Vegeta say to my dad, “Now look Kakarrot, you let one get away,” but it doesn't really register as my eyes meet Trunks' blue ones for the first time in eight years.