Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Dangerous Bond ❯ Just a human ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
I'M IN OPTIMISTIC MODE! YA HA!!! FIC'S COMING ALONG NICELY, AND I HAVE RECOVERED MY LOST PRIDE FROM THE ATHLETICS CHAMPIONSHIPS!!! WAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!
Dangerous Bond

Chapter Eight: She's just a... human

By SilverstarBlooddragon

Disclaimer: Insert previous disclaimer here and don't take me to court. I DO know that all I own is my Vegeta T-shirt and all others must register that as fact.

9 days after The Fall Bulma sat by Vegeta's bed in the hospital, calmly typing away at her laptop. She hadn't seen Yamcha since the accident, which was definitely a good thing. Beside her, Vegeta stirred.
He opened his eyes slowly, the pain making the world blur in his vision.

'What is this?! What happened? Why do I hurt so badly? Did I make a mistake? Did Freiza decide that I deserved a beating? Arrgh, I can't remember a thing...'

Vegeta's obsidian eyes finally managed to focus on the white plastic tiles that covered the ceiling. He turned his head slightly to get a better idea of where he was, ignoring the way his mind spun with the action. He managed to make out the form of a human, bashing away at a black screen she held in her lap. She had large blue eyes that twinkled with the light reflected from the computer screen. Her hair, also blue, hung to her shoulders like a shimmering waterfall.
As he looked on at her the cold Saiya-jin prince felt a strange warmth spread through him.

'W-what's going on?! What's wrong with me? Pull yourself together, Vegeta, she's just a human...'

Bulma just happened to look up from her work and glance over at Vegeta just then. Her heart skipped a beat when her eyes met with those of the prince. He'd saved her, again. And look where he was now... Wait, why was he staring like that?

After a while of staring into Vegeta's eyes, Bulma smiled. "Hey sleepyhead. Finally awake, I see." She didn't know how she managed to speak so calmly like that. He had given her a right scare the other day when the doctors announced that he was likely to die; if she were acting like herself she probably would be shouting at the top of her lungs in relief.

Instead of snapping at her like he normally would Vegeta just lay still, trying to ignore the pain that ran through his body like wildfire. Finally he spoke.

"What happened, Bulma? Why am I here?"

She could only stare. He'd just called her by her name! A revelation! She was so gobsmacked that it gave her the opposite effect and she felt her normal self return. She closed her laptop and dropped it onto the desk.

"Oh my KAMI, Vegeta! You gave me a damn scare then! I thought you were gonna..." She stopped when she realised he wasn't focusing on her face any more. "H-hey, Geta. Are you all right?"

But she knew he wasn't. His eyes were dull and unfocused, slowly closing. Without thinking, Bulma grabbed his hand with both of hers.

"Come on, Vegeta. Stay with me all ready! Don't leave me alone!"

> He felt her touch, heard her voice. With great effort he focused on her face and smirked in his trademark way.

"Don't lose your head, woman. I am a Saiya-jin, the Prince of all Saiya-jin. One tiny little fall isn't going to kill me."

Three days later Vegeta's Saiya-jin biology had healed the worst of his injury. Gathering his half-returned ki around him, the prince leapt off his balcony and up into the night air once again. It took slightly more effort than it should have, but at least he could do it.
Up on the roof Bulma was thinking. Not about Yamcha's moonlighting with other girls, but why Vegeta had saved her. Before, with the fever and everything, he'd helped her. But this was different. He could have died saving her useless butt. She couldn't help but feel guilty.
She saw the blue glow cresting the domed side of her house half a second before Vegeta himself floated into view. He climbed high into the sky and stopped, seeming to be thinking about exactly where he wanted to go. Bulma took advantage of the pause, cupping her hands to her mouth and calling up to him.

"Hey, Vegeta! Get down here!" She didn't have to worry about waking her parents because they were still away on one of her father's business trips.

The Saiya-jin no Ouji looked down at her from the air, ignoring the shiver the cold breeze sent through his body.

"Why should I?"

"Because I said so! I want to know why."

"Why what?" He was 10ft lower in the sky now, descending despite himself.

"You know quite well what." She replied as he landed. Bulma patted the roof beside her, "Why you saved me."

Vegeta stood where he was, ignoring Bulma's suggestion for him to sit.

"It doesn't matter." He dismissed it and prepared to leave her on the roof.

She jumped to her feet and grabbed his arm before he could take off. "It DOES matter!" She insisted, "And you're going to tell me, NOW."

He stared at her, then at the hand on his arm, and let himself sit beside her on the roof. The warm, calm feeling had come over him again. What power was this that she had over him?! He was Vegeta, the almighty Prince of Saiya-jin. She was just Bulma, the little human female. Bulma...
She elbowed him in the ribs.

"Tell me all ready!"

"Well, that mate of yours wasn't doing anything," Vegeta said gruffly, "Idiot that he is."

"Yamcha is NOT my mate!" Bulma protested, "And you knew what would happen when you went after me, I know you're not stupid. You knew you were gonna hit that sidewalk, so why'd you do it?"

He looked over at her and their eyes met. For some reason his heart was racing.

'What is this?'

"You'd... Die." He heard himself say.

Bulma stared into his eyes. What did he just say? Did he, Mr. Take-No-Prisoners, actually... care? Was her bluff that evening many nights ago true?

"You could too." She whispered, "You almost did."

Vegeta snorted. "I don't think so."

"What's that then?" She demanded, prodding the arm he had in a sling.

"Hardly something that's about to kill me." He replied, "And enough of why I did as I did; why do you care?"

Bulma blinked. She, why did she care? He was just a jerk, the guy who practically did a victory dance when he thought Goku was dead. She stared at the man who sat beside her. He'd saved her, twice. And been nice to her, once. She remembered that night they spent together. Sure, she'd been blinded by her fever, but she still remembered the results of her 'how nice is he being' test. He hadn't left her, even when he could have done.

'Why do I care?'

Realising that Vegeta was looking at her expectantly with those fathomless eyes of his, Bulma quickly said the first thing that came into her head.

"You saved me, didn't you? You can't just get saved by someone and then turn around and say 'I hate you'." A poorly said thing, she knew, but it was better than sitting there looking clueless.

Vegeta's eyes darkened, "Yes you can."

With that he took off, not quite as quickly as he wanted to. Bulma sighed. That had NOT been a good thing to say and she knew it. Clueless silence wouldhave been better, for all that it could have let the Saiya-jin come up with some ludicrous ideas of his own. Sitting back she watched Vegeta as he sped away into the blackness of the night, watching until she couldn't even make out the blue glow of his ki.
Then she stood up, rubbing her arms. It was cold outside and the last thing she needed was to catch pneumonia while Vegeta was the only one around to help her out... The last thing she needed was to have him save her three times! As for The Fall, well, knowing him, Bulma was pushing Vegeta for useless information. What had happened twelve days ago was probably just a fluke, a moment of insanity, a non-reoccuring act of *gasp* goodwill...

But as Bulma lay in bed, trying to get to sleep, her mind couldn't get off him. His raven black hair, tanned skin, obsidian eyes, muscled frame... She rolled over.

'Helloo, Bulma! This is VEGETA you're thinking about here! Mister Prince of all Jerks? The guy who was happy when we thought Goku was dead?'

'But still! He's soo good-looking and he saved my life twice...'

'Save it. Even if he wasn't such an asshole Vegeta wouldn't let himself show any emotion! Wait until the perfect guy comes along, someone reachable....'

'But he was kind to me!'

'Shut it.'

Vegeta flew, getting further and further away from the Capsule Corp. building and its blue haired princess. He didn't know where he was going. For the first time since he had arrived on Chikyuusei, Vegeta had no destination. After a while he stopped, ki worn low. His entire body ached, arm in particular.

'What has she done to me? I've never, ever felt like this before... It's not fear, not pride, not sadness, nor humiliation. What's left? What other emotions have I to feel? He snorted, Kakkarot's infamous happiness, that's one. And pleasure, another. I know there are more than that! Put together, that's... Six. A person can't only have six emotions, can he?'

Vegeta stood up and gazed at the cosmos. The stars twinkled above him, not at all dimmed by the moon, that was currently absent. The Saiya-jin prince looked about for it, but couldn't find the blasted thing anywhere. He didn't know about the phases of the moon, let alone the fact that once each month the moon failed to shine.

"Come on, help me out here." There couldn't be six, he had to be missing maybe ten... "What is it that I feel only when I'm around her? What is it that makes me feel so... So calm. Like I don't care about fighting or even immortality. Like all that matters is... Her, Bulma."

Vegeta was too involved with his own thoughts to register the creature hiding in the bushes behind him. Its eyes glittered from the light of the stars as it grinned evilly.

'Now now, Vegeta. Let's not get all emotional...'

With that it withdrew back into the dense black forest, still grinning.

'One Saiya-jin with a side order of fries... Human fries.'

Bulma woke late the next morning, stretching both arms high above her head and yawning as she lugged herself out of bed. Her parents would be back in a week, so she hadn't the slightest hope of breakfast in bed. She zombie-walked into the bathroom and had a shower before dashing back into her room and donning a red tanktop and jean shorts.
Refreshed by her wash Bulma made her way into the kitchen, heating up the front ring of the oven and making herself some breakfast. There was no doubt in her mind that Vegeta would pop up soon, demanding food, so she'd better eat while she could.
A quarter of an hour later she sat down to her food and dug in. She ate faster than normal, probably because she wanted to finish her meal before Vegeta came in and started bothering about it. Bulma was just about done when she smelt burning. Looking up she saw the ring she'd used to cook her breakfast, spitting hot fat from a spill she'd made earlier.

"Oh great, Bulma." She muttered to herself as she got up, making sure there were no Saiyans about that had their sights set on her food, and went over to the frantic oven grill. "Forget to turn off the ring and burn the house down, either that or melt your mother's new kitchen units... I'm not really sure which'd be worst, except I might have to deal with Vegeta if I destroy the house..."

Getting to the oven and the spitting ring she leant over it to turn it off by means of the panel on the wall. As she did Bulma put her hand down so she could reach further... Right onto the ring. She didn't realise at first. It was the sort of 'hmm, my hand's a little warm, hey wait I've just... AHHHHHH' pain.
She screamed a scream audible on the other side of the planet and closed her hand over the bubbling burn that covered her palm. She screamed and screamed and broke down into a sobbing fit while still standing there, hot fat stinging her arms from the still-hot ring.

Luckily for Bulma and her complexion, Vegeta just so happened to return right then from last night's flying trip. For a half a second he just stood there, his warrior senses taking up everything about the room and its screaming occupant, before he actually did anything.
Laying his pride to a rest for a minute the Saiya-jin no Ouji strode over to Bulma and grabbed her by the forearm of the wounded hand, pulling her over to the sink. The wounded woman just stared as Vegeta turned the cold water on full and shoved her hand under it. She screamed again, the cold water stinging her burn.
Vegeta held her hand under the water, refusing her the luxury of pulling away. With his free hand he reached out and, surprisingly gently, began to uncurl her fingers. This just pulled the skin tighter, causing it to split and bleed.

"Ahh! Vegeta, stop it, you're hurting me! AgEEEE!"

The warrior persisted and soon had his patient's hand open to the gushing water. She whimpered slightly at the pain and then flinched away from the oven and its evil ring, still spurting hot fat. Vegeta realised what was wrong and reached out WITH HIS TAIL to turn off the ring before releasing Bulma and stopping the water.

Bulma stared (she did a lot of that lately) as the guy she'd been thinking about last night systematically cleaned and bound her burn tightly. When he was done he stepped back from where she sat in the chair and looked her in the eye.

"What exactly did you do?" He demanded.

"Uh... Burnt myself?" She replied. Wasn't that obvious? "I didn't know you could do all that stuff." He raised an eyebrow, "I mean the bandaging and everything. Did you have to open my hand like that?"

"Of course I did." He smirked, "Unless you wanted your hand stuck closed for the rest of your life. Which I assume you don't. As for the treatment of wounds..." His eyes got a far away look in them, "That doesn't matter."

She decided to take his word for that and then realised something else.

"You've... Got a... That's a... TAIL?! Where'd that come from?! I swear it wasn't there yesterday!"

Vegeta swished his brown, furry tail, marveling in its power. For too many years he hadn't sported the trademark of his species, so many that he had forgotten how strong the damn things were. He'd noticed it four days ago, though it had hardly been anything then, little more than a slight bump. Yesterday it was half grown, but he had kept it hidden; what if it had stayed like that? He'd rather have no tail at all than just half of one.

"It wasn't, not completely, at least." He told her, wrapping the furry thing around a table leg.

She watched it as the muscles beneath the brown fur tightened around the table. It looked really soft... She found herself reaching out towards it. Vegeta watched her, not quite sure what she was about to do. Wait, she wasn't going to... !!
Bulma's flawless hand settled on the prince's tail, the silky fur carressing her palm. It was soooo soft! her hand reached up the tail, then pulled back down, stroking it carefully. Beside her Vegeta convulsed in pleasure, sinking further down his seat. Bulma watched him curiously, wondering what exactly she was doing to him.
She petted the tail with a little more force and Vegeta groaned with pleasure, letting his head lay back against the chair. Subconciously he uncurled the tail, its full length lying along the table and waiting to be petted.

'Why am I letting her do this... It's not right... I shouldn't...'

Much to Bulma's surprise, the prince began to purr, unable to control his own emotions.

'He sounds like a great big cat... Man, I wonder if I'm doing something I shouldn't. But hey! I've known Goku for ever, if I was doing something wrong he'd have told me, right? But does he even know?'

Suddenly the tail wrapped itself around her arm, pulling her close to its owner. She was practically on his lap, his scent all around her. He smelled good.

"Geta, what does it mean to pet your tail?"

He looked her in the eyes, seeming not to hear her question. "You're going to regret doing that, onna."

He pulled her close so that her face was buried in his muscular chest. The purring noise vibrated through the two of them and Bulma looked up at him. There was something in his eyes, something deeper than she had seen before. He looked... Almost human to her.
She felt heat build inside her as she felt his heartbeat through his chest. To the surprise of both of them she too began to purr, the vibration of her throat feeling strange and alien to the woman. Vegeta stared at her, not releasing her from his grip. Bulma's big blue eyes gazed back.He carefully placed his arm around her, the tail dropping down to loop around her waist. Bulma reached up and wrapped her arms around his neck, sliding her finger back and forth across the skin on his back. A shiver ran through Vegeta's body at the contact and he felt himself surrendering to her.

'What? But I have to be in control of this! Am I.. letting her get the upper hand?'

It actually didn't really matter to him, for the first time in his life. Bulma.. She was... Different. His heart thundered in his chest and Vegeta was surprised the neighbors didn't come over and complain about the racket.

Bulma, held close against his chest, most certainly felt it. His heartbeat thudded through her body and she suddenly realised that her own pulse had changed to fit his. This was amazing! She'd never felt so... So right. She wanted to stay here like this forever and ever...
But neither of them were going to get such luxury, they both found as the doorbell rang. Bulma sighed and pulled reluctantly away from Vegeta, currently in a sort of daze.

"I'd better get that..."

Yajirobi stood on the steps of the Capsule Corp. building, his pudgy face contorted into its usual scowl. He was pretty nervous, actually, in case it was Vegeta that answered the door. He shifted his feet uncomfortably and rang the bell once again.

"All right! All right all ready!" Bulma's voice said from the other side of the door, quickly accompanied by a series of clicks as she undid the locks.

"H-hey Bulma." The samurai stammered.

"Oh hi, Yajirobi. This is a surprise, I thought you never left Korin's side... Well, come in anyway."

So he did, looking around nervously for traces of a certain Saiya-jin prince.

'That guy probably still remembers.' He fretted, 'Man, if he sees me he'll blow me sky high...'

Seeing Yajirobi's obvious discomfort Bulma smiled.

"Vegeta's around here somewhere, but I don't think he's in 'kill' mode right now." She laughed as Yajirobi shuddered, "Don't worry all ready! Now, why are you here?"

Releif took hold of the senshi's face and he began.

"Well, Bulma, Korin and I heard that you'd split up with Yamcha and I sorta thought you might be a bit depressed so I...*ulp*..."

He trailed off, skin paling as he saw what he didn't want to see. Bulma, facing Yajirobi, had no idea that Vegeta was approaching from behind her, but guessed when she saw the look on the chubby senshi's face.

"Haylo, Geta." She greeted as he walked past.

The Saiyan grunted in his normal fashion and gave Yajirobi a death stare. The samurai blinked as Vegeta passed without harming him and looked over his shoulder at the retreating man. His eyes settled on the tail, swishing lazily behind its master.

"Hey, Bulma," He whispered, "Didn't I, you know, cut that thing off?"

She nodded, "Yeah, but it grew back. What were you saying?"

The genius surpressed a smile as she saw the Saiya-jin no Ouji, leaning against the doorframe down the hallway and listening with half interest. If he had been Yamcha Bulma would have accused him of eavesdropping but right now she didn't mind. All she could think about was the frantic pace of their hearts as they embraced. She wanted to be that close to the handsome prince again...

"...So I got you some chocolates, to keep your mind off things, you know?"

Bulma scowled at him, "You guys are bad for my figure, you know that?"

"The point of life is to make other's lives harder." He replied as he handed her the box with her thanks, "Now, I'm gonna get out of here before that prince of yours decides I need to see the Netherworld..."

Once Yajirobi was gone Bulma walked slowly down the hall toward Vegeta. "You know, mister, I could get you for listening in like that."

Vegeta raised a brow, "Oh, and what are you planning to do to me?"

"Oh, nothing." She gazed at him and smiled slightly, "Geta?"

"Hmm?"

She began to fidget, not sure exactly what he was going to say. But she had to know... "Back there, was that just brought on by the tail, or what?"

"You mean do I really feel that way about you." He stated, tail flicking slightly.

"Yeah, pretty much." Her eyes strayed to the tail. Why was that thing so... Attractive to her?

Vegeta tilted back his head, letting his eyes close. "I wouldn't know. It has been said that only a loved one can get that sort of reaction from a tail, but I've never even thought of anyone else like this..."

"You think of me as something?" She probed, "What d'you mean by that?"

'Bulma, you're getting into deep water here.'

Vegeta opened one eye and looked at her, his gaze following her every curve before returning to her face. Bulma tried not to squirm under his gaze and waited for his reply.

"I don't think of you as something." He said after a while. "It's more of... Difficult to describe. You're always there. On my mind. When I'm training and you're out with that rat, I always... Worry, I suppose. He hurts you, a lot. I don't know whether that means I love you or just..."

He practically choked. 'I said it, that word... I didn't mean to, but what if I do? What if she is my destined mate? Is that posible? The prince of all Saiyans, souled to a little Chikyuu-jin? Could that happen?'

"Just what, Geta?"

"Just don't want to see you hurt."

"What do you think it is?"

Vegeta shifted his gaze from her face to his tail, twitching the tip slightly. Could it be that the genetic work done on him had failed and that he was still subject to his tail's choice? But, Hell, a tail is supposed to choose a mate with a nice tail, and she certainly didn't have one. But she had purred...

"I don't know. Bulma, can humans purr?"

She shrugged, "Well, we must do, otherwise I wouldn't be able to do it, right?"

"There may be other posiblities..."

Bulma snorted, "What, like me being Saiya-jin? Come on, Vegeta, don't you think my own paretns would know if either of them had Saiyan blood? Wouldn't they tell me?"

"My father rarely told me anything," Vegeta replied with a shrug, "But if you trust your parents, well, I trust your judgement."

"D'you think I should ask them when they get back?"

The prince nodded. "If you were of Saiyan blood it would explain a lot."

"Well then, I will." She stepped forward and slipped her arms around his neck. "Until then can we just think you're in love?"

"I should be training..."

"Would you think that if I did this?" Bulma made a loose fist around his tail, rubbing back and forth so that the fur massaged Vegeta's skin.

He drooped a little, the purr starting up again. Bulma laughed at him and gave the tail a finger massage. The prince slid down the wall to the floor and she followed him down, spare hand running through his hair and pulling his head toward her. He pulled back and stood, somehow resisting the tail.

"No, I need to think."

Bulma watched as he turned on his heel and stalked down the hallway, a feeling of disapointment running its unexpected path through her.