Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Dragon Ball: Chaotic Future ❯ Chapter 16: Genocide ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I DO NOT OWN DRAGON BALL Z OR ANY RACES, PLANETS, OR CHARACTERS RELATED TO IT. GALDRIA, HEVA, TIRIS, IQUELA, MIURA, ZELLIS, SETH, CLEF, HANZO, TWILIGHT AND ALL RELATED CHARACTERS, RACES, OR PLANETS WERE ALL CREATED BY ME.
 
 
Dragon Ball:
Chaotic Future
 
CHAPTER 16
 
Mad God Saga, Part V
Genocide.”
 
 
 
Zellis gazed at the endless sea of stars.
 
Trunks, Hanzo, and Clef had decided to turn in for the night, leaving her alone in the small control room to take first watch. Not that, in her opinion, it was entirely necessary. The four travelers had only left Galdria that morning, and it would be quite some time before they left `civilized' space. Zellis was sure that they would be safe enough until then.
 
Safe, she thought to herself bitterly. How can anyone feel safe when there's even a remote possibility that Tempest is still alive out there somewhere? She frowned and wrapped her arms around her shoulders to fight off a sudden chill. How long has it been anyway, since I could truly say that I felt safe?
 
The confrontation with the Erions over a year ago had set off a chain reaction that's effect was still playing out, even now. That mission had led to the Gelnika, and a life or death battle against Hanzo. Seth had been killed in the crash, and Zellis and Twilight had been kidnapped by the mysterious Saiyan warrior, who stunned everyone by revealing that he was Miura's half-brother. Even after that situation had been resolved, Mylember had turned the entire Alliance of Bounty Hunters against Zellis and Miura, and Head Quarters had become a battlefield, one that they had barely managed to escape alive.
 
I still can't believe that one mission could have had such an incredible effect on our lives, she thought as she stared at the dark void of space shown on the monitor. It was a close thing, getting out of HQ alive. I'm sure we'd of been dead without Hanzo's help. In an amazing act of selflessness, Miura's volatile half-brother had rescued the party from Mylember's assassin, Daerist. But that victory had only led to another battle, against the Hevan Lord himself this time. It had been Iris who had saved everyone then, with her quick thinking. Iris, who was now dead…
 
Even upon their arrival home, Miura and Zellis had found themselves confronted with yet another enemy, their childhood adversary Galian Lestan du Adean. He had killed Emperor Gilliam and Empress Pheris, along with many other nobles, including Zellis' own mother, Kelys. Her brother had managed to kill Galian, but the damage was already done. Clef had died, and Miura's spirit was broken, even though he had been reunited with his lost love, Elysia. It had been the battle with Galian that had led Miura and the others to Earth, and another face off with Mylember.
 
At least some good came of it, she thought as she continued to reminisce. Trunks is a great ally to have, and a true friend. In fact, without the young Saiyan Prince's help, Miura would have been destroyed by the insane Hevan, and would have never learned about Namek's Dragon Balls. A final battle had been fought there against Mylember, forcing Miura to use his self-destructive new power for the first time. Genjin power, Zellis thought sullenly. Power that eventually killed him… Clef and Seth had been brought back to life, and Miura finally felt secure enough to assume leadership of Galdria, much to Elysia's relief.
 
But the fighting only continued, like ripples in a pond, spreading outward from the Gelnika disaster. The treacherous Mylember had used his final words to deceive everyone into thinking that Trunks' companions, who had been killed years ago during a battle on Earth, could still be restored, even though the great dragon Porunga had denied the wish. Zellis was now certain that Mylember had indeed known about Tempest, and that in his insanity he had actually wanted the mad god to be unleashed, to wreak havoc on the entire universe. In a strange way, then, Mylember had truly gotten the last laugh: Miura and Iris were dead due to his treachery, killed during the ensuing clash against the newly awakened Tempest.
 
Two years, Zellis thought sadly. It's been almost two years since I last felt truly safe… She sighed and leaned against the control panel, reviewing their course for the third time, praying that their journey to Namek would continue without incident. But it won't, will it? she silently asked herself, unable to shrug off a feeling of deep foreboding. The battles will only continue, I'm afraid, as we rush blindly into a chaotic future…
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
Trunks lay quietly on his bed.
 
The Saiyan Prince stared at the ceiling, lost in thought as the ship continued to hurtle through space toward Namek. It had now been five days since they had left Galdria, and the monotony of the voyage was beginning wear on everyone's nerves. The lack of space on board the shuttle made training impossible, though both Trunks and Hanzo had attempted to spar with one another the day before, with disastrous consequences. Hanzo, angry that Trunks was winning the practice match, lost his temper and nearly blasted a hole through the side of the ship. Zellis and Clef had forbidden the two Saiyan warriors from sparring for the remainder of the journey.
 
Trunks sat up and stretched, wishing that the capsule ship lent to him by his mother hadn't been left on Tiris. I'm so sick of just sitting here, doing nothing! he thought, longing for the opportunity to set foot on solid ground again. Not much longer… Soon we'll be on Namek, and Miura and Iris will be back. A knock on the door snapped the half-human out of his musing.
 
“Come on in,” he said, shifting to sit on the edge of his bunk. Hanzo, who had also been lying silently, lost in thoughts of his own, sat up too. Zellis entered the small chamber and looked back and forth between the two restless warriors.
 
“Don't be like this,” she said, rolling her eyes. “You almost killed us all last time! Besides, only a few more days until we're on Namek, then the two of you can beat each other senseless to your hearts' content.” Zellis shook her head and leaned back against the wall, suddenly looking pale and exhausted. “Believe me, its not easy for me to just sit here either…”
 
“Did you want something, Galdrian?” Hanzo prompted, glaring angrily at the young woman. “Or did you just come here to chat?” He flashed Zellis a humorless smile before standing up and cracking his back. “Surely you have better things to do than waste your time whining to us, my Lady,” he finished, voice dripping with sarcasm.
 
“Shut up,” she hissed, casting a threatening glance at Miura's older brother. “I didn't come here to see you.” The Galdrian noblewoman turned her attention to Trunks, ignoring Hanzo's grunt of annoyance. “We're within communication range of Earth, I just thought you should know.” With that Zellis left the small room, but not before flashing another disgusted look in Hanzo's direction.
 
“This is great!” Trunks exclaimed, jumping up from his bunk. “I can try to contact my mother now!” The purple-haired Saiyan left the room, nearly running to get to the control room.
 
“Mama's boy,” Hanzo snorted, before lying back down his bed. “Miura, you'd better come back soon so I can kill you. I don't know how much more of this I can stomach…”
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
“That's terrible news, son.”
 
 
“But don't worry, Mother,” Trunks responded, smiling slightly. “We're on our way to Namek right now, and Miura will be back in no time, you'll see.” He leaned back in his seat, staring at the view screen that currently displayed Bulma's face.
 
“I hate to sound like a doting mother, but please be careful Trunks,” she said, eyes filled with concern for the safety of her only child. “I understand that you think Tempest is gone, but you should know better than anyone that even when it seems like an enemy is defeated, nothing is for sure.”
 
“You're talking about Cell,” Trunks responded, nodding agreement. “But that was different, Mom. Miura's power was so… so mind-blowing. I've never felt anything like it, not even from Goku or Father.” Noticing that his mother's expression of unease remained, Trunks smiled warmly at her. “Don't worry, alright? Once Miura and Iris are
back and things on Galdria settle down, I'll be home. I promise.”
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
Clef watched as planet Namek began to fill the view screen.
 
It really is beautiful, he thought. How different would my life have been, I wonder, had I been allowed to live it out normally? This planet, of course, wasn't the same Namek that he had been born and raised on, for that world had been destroyed by Frieza a long time ago. It was nearly impossible to tell, though, for the two worlds were uncannily similar. It had been almost twenty-five years since he was taken from his home by Frieza's henchmen. He had only been a child then, unable to resist his captors, forced to do demeaning physical labor. How often had he wished death upon his subjugators…
 
But they eventually got what was coming to them, he thought with a cold smile. What would Miura and Hanzo think, if they knew it was their father, Pare, who gave me my life back? The Saiyan warrior had stumbled across the contingent of Frieza's troops who had captured Clef while on his journey to Earth, where he hoped to find more survivors from planet Vegeta's destruction. Pare easily killed the soldiers, and immediately set Clef free, telling him to seek out his own reason for living. How strange, that fate has seen fit to cross my path with the paths of Pare's children… Is that why I feel so indebted to Miura, I wonder? Do I feel like I owe him something, since it was his father who saved me?
 
“Clef?” a soft female voice asked spoke from behind him. “How much longer?” Zellis asked, placing her hand on the Namekian's shoulder. She felt him tense up momentarily and pulled her hand away, unsure whether or not she had somehow offended him. “Is everything alright?”
 
“It's nothing,” he responded, turning to face the weary young woman. “Just remembering, that's all…” He took her hand and squeezed it gently, looking directly into her green eyes, usually bright and sparkling but dulled now by fatigue. “We should be able to begin landing soon, Z. And soon we'll bring them back to us. I swear.”
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
The travelers from Galdria disembarked.
 
Their relief at finally being able to leave the ship was short lived, however, as the four warriors took in their heart-wrenching surroundings. Zellis wondered, momentarily, if her nightmares had finally returned, for the landscape around her was a scene straight out of hell.
 
Dead Namekians littered the ground, bodies contorted with their final spasms of pain, some burned and disfigured beyond recognition. The ground was soaked with blood, and Zellis felt sick as she sank ankle-deep in mud with each step. All of the trees, as far as the eye could see, had been uprooted, and the once pristine lakes were now clogged with the bodies of Namek's unfortunate people. Even the suns shone dimmer in the early afternoon sky, as if their very light and warmth had been drawn out of them.
 
“Who… Who could have done this?” Clef stammered, eyes widened in horror as he beheld the countless dead scattered across the terrain before them. “What kind of monster would possibly…” His voice trailed off as realization struck him.
 
“Do you even have to ask?” Hanzo growled, trying his hardest to remain stoic in the face of such slaughter. “Can't you feel the power lingering in the air even now? Who isn't the question, Clef; How is. How could he have survived Miura's pretty little light show on Tiris?” His body began to tremble slightly and his eyes widened with undisguised terror. “It's true, isn't it?! He must be a god!”
 
“Hanzo, get a grip!” Trunks said harshly, shaking his companion by the shoulders. “Fear isn't going to help us now, understand? We need you now, Hanzo. If Tempest is still here, we can't fight him without you! Snap out of it!” The older Saiyan nodded once, and Trunks was relieved to see reason return to his wide eyes. “Besides, can't any of you sense it? I'm sure Tempest is much weaker now than he was on Tiris… But why?”
 
“Miura's final attack,” Clef muttered, clenching his eyes shut to block out the horror that surrounded them. “It had to have been… Nothing else even made contact with him during that battle. Miura may have given us the chance we need to end this here and now. If Tempest really is still injured from the last battle, maybe we can finish him.”
 
“I hope you're right, Clef. But I'm not sensing any energy readings anywhere,” Zellis whispered, scanning the horizon in vain for any signs of life. “What if…” She looked at the purple-haired half-Saiyan over her shoulder, green eyes filled with desperation. “Trunks, what if they're all dead? How will we bring Miura and Iris back?!”
 
“Impossible!” Clef shouted, clenching his fists in rage. “They can't all be dead! Even Frieza was forced to keep our former elder, Guru, alive in order to use the Dragon Balls! If Tempest really is some kind of god, he must know better, too!”
 
“She's right, Clef,” Trunks responded. “I don't feel any power levels anywhere. Besides, what would Tempest want the Balls for anyway? It seems to me like he's already indestructible…” He walked over and put his arm around Zellis' trembling shoulders. “Zellis, we can't give up hope, not yet.” She remained silent, but nodded agreement before Trunks returned his attention to the others. “Standing around here won't get us anywhere—” he began, but an explosion of energy around Clef interrupted him. The purple-haired Saiyan gasped in surprise as the Namekian warrior took to the air, screaming in rage as he tore through the sky, determined to find any survivors.
 
“Clef, no!” he shouted, reaching out for his companion too late. “Damn it! Hanzo, Zellis, let's go! We can't let him go off on his own, not with even a remote chance that Tempest is still around!” With that he blasted off into the dismal Namekian sky, flying after his enraged companion. Hanzo and Zellis waited only a moment before following his example, though neither one of them said what was really on their minds: All of the Namekians are dead… And the Dragon Balls are gone forever.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
The dome of energy rose high into the air.
 
From a distance, Zellis and the others had noticed the glowing yellow display of power, and they had immediately decided to start their search for survivors there. Upon reaching the flickering, energy-charged dome, it was obvious that they had made the right decision. Within the half-sphere of pulsing light, hundreds of small forms could be seen, some simply sitting or lying on the ground, others walking the perimeter of the dome, looking for some way out.
 
Children? Zellis silently wondered as she and her three companions took a moment to study the barrier. But why would he keep all of the children alive? Why not kill them like the others? Her question was repeated aloud by Clef, whose body trembled uncontrollably with rage.
 
“What does he think he's doing?” the Namekian bodyguard whispered through clenched teeth. “What can he gain by sparing the children?” He descended lower, cautiously approaching the dome of pale yellow energy. Several of the children inside immediately noticed his presence, and they swarmed toward him, though still separated by the barrier. “We have to get them out,” he said, voice firm with authority as he looked over his shoulder toward Hanzo, Trunks, and Zellis.
 
“I agree,” the young Saiyan Prince responded, lowering himself to float next to Clef. “I think that if we all combine our powers together, we should be able to crack this thing open and get them out.” He narrowed his eyes as he gazed at the dome, wondering what Tempest was planning. “Hanzo, Zellis, what do you think?”
 
“I think we should get the hell out of here while we still can,” Hanzo muttered. But despite his fear, he joined Clef and Trunks where they hovered before the energy barrier. “If we're going to do this, let's do it quickly. I want to be off this lifeless rock as soon as possible.” Clef glared at the Saiyan warrior out of the corner of his eye, surprised that Hanzo could seem so heartless, even with hundreds of children trapped within the mysterious dome.
 
Zellis also descended to the same level as her allies, but a commotion from within the obstruction caught their attention before an attack could be launched. Several of the children moved aside, clearing a path for an older Namekian to approach the wall of the dome. Tall, slender, and clad in white and red robes, there was no question who the newcomer was.
 
“That's Dende!” Clef exclaimed, relief washing over his face momentarily. “If he's still alive, then the Dragon Balls are still active!” Bewildered looks from Zellis, Hanzo, and Trunks prompted the green-skinned warrior to continue. “During our last visit here, Dende pulled me aside and revealed that he was the current wielder of Porunga's power! The strength to sustain the Dragon Balls was passed on to him by his predecessor, the previous leader of Namek!” He actually grinned, so happy was he to see Dende alive. “He was afraid to reveal his secret to anyone not Namekian, so he told me!”
 
“So we still have a chance?” Zellis asked excitedly. She flung her arms around Clef's neck, tears of relief streaming down her pale face. “Thank God,” she whispered, burying her face against the Namekian's heavily muscled chest. Suddenly she felt Clef tense up, and she heard startled gasps escape her other companions. A familiar and blood-chilling power filled the air around her as she pulled away from her brother's closest friend.
 
“Celebrating your victory already?” a voice asked, sending jolts of pain and terror down everyone's spines. “I wouldn't be quite so hasty, if I were you.” Tempest floated silently just above the top of the dome, smiling coldly down upon the disbelieving travelers from Galdria. “Why are you so shocked, I wonder?” he taunted, crossing his massive arms over his chest.
 
“Impossible!” Hanzo blurted out, clenching his fists in rage. “How could you have possibly know that we'd come here? Answer me!” For a moment Zellis was afraid he would rush forward and attack Tempest all by himself, but Trunks placed a restraining hand on the older Saiyan's arm, shaking his head in the negative.
 
“If you insist,” Tempest said with a laugh. “What kind of god would I be if I didn't know about the magic balls of Namek? You see, my body may have been sealed away within those stone relics, but my mind was quite free.” He drifted slowly downward until he stood atop the colossal dome of yellow light. “I was very much aware that you'd be rushing here to revive your fallen comrades, you see…”
 
“But if stopping us from doing so was your plan, why leave Dende alive?” Zellis asked, her voice sounding weak and shaky to her own ears. “Why not just kill everyone and leave?” An unsettling laugh echoed forth from the mad god, and the Galdrian noblewoman had to struggle not to cover her ears.
 
“I left these ones alive because I want to play a little game with you,” Tempest answered, his face splitting into a wide, malicious grin. “These are the rules: my dome of energy is about to begin shrinking, moving inward to slowly crush all within it. The four of you will attack me with everything that you've got, keeping in mind that the dome will continue to contract. All you have to do is hit me, and I'll destroy the dome and let all of the pathetic little Nameks inside go free. I've even put the one who controls the Balls in there, so you can wish your friends back if you succeed. Understand?”
 
A response wasn't necessary, for as soon as Tempest had finished declaring the rules, the half-sphere of energy began to slowly decrease in size. Clef and the others looked on in horror as the hundreds of children within, along with Dende, started to rush inward, seeking to escape the enclosing walls of the dome.
 
Zellis and Clef wasted no time engaging in battle with the mad god, but Trunks and Hanzo hung back for a moment, caught in a dilemma. Should they also rush Tempest in hopes of freeing Dende and the children, or should they use their power in an attempt to destroy the ever-shrinking dome of light. As they watched the alleged deity toy with their two companions, the Saiyan warriors' minds were made up.
 
“Trunks, let's go!” Hanzo exclaimed, grunting with exertion as he transformed into an Ascended Super Saiyan. The prerequisite golden-yellow aura flared around him as he prepared to join in the struggle against Tempest. Before he could enter the fray, however, Miura's half-brother was restrained by Trunks' hand on his shoulder. “What are we waiting for?!” he asked, glaring at the purple-haired youth.
 
“Hanzo, listen to me,” Trunks began, not taking his eyes off of the battle being waged in the air above them. “Don't use the Ascended Saiyan power for this fight, understand?” It was obvious that Hanzo didn't, but before he could voice his opinion, Trunks continued. “Would you listen, God damn it! I should have told you sooner, but our Ascended forms leave us at too much of a disadvantage during battles like this…”
 
“What the hell are you talking about?!” Hanzo asked, voice filled with skepticism. “I'm far more powerful when manipulating the Ascended power, so why shouldn't I use it on Tempest? If he's a god, we'll need everything that we can throw at him!”
 
“But not now! Don't you get it? The Ascended Saiyan transformation may give us increased power, but think about how our speed and mobility suffer!” He shook his head in frustration, seeing that Hanzo still didn't realize the point. “Think, Hanzo! The Ascended strength worked fine against Mylember, because then it was just our raw power versus his! But remember back to our fight against Kalen, and our last confrontation with Tempest…”
 
“We could barely lay a hand on them,” the full-blooded Saiyan responded, green eyes wide with disbelief. “Then what's the point! Power means nothing if we're too slow to use it! Why even go through the trouble of teaching it to me, or using it yourself!” For a moment, Trunks thought that Hanzo would actually lash out at him in a blind rage.
 
“Because the Ascended form is an important step in obtaining even greater power, Hanzo!” Trunks explained, his mouth turning up into a sly smile. “When I went back in time to battle Cell, I was too slow to even hit him while using my Ascended Saiyan ability. But my friend Gohan was able to reach an entirely new level of Super Saiyan, one that increased both power and speed! I think that with a little more training, we can too.”
 
“Fine, I see your point,” Hanzo agreed, willing his energy to decrease as he powered down to Super Saiyan. He gasped slightly in pain as his muscles were forced to diminish so quickly, but the feeling soon passed. “Shall we?” he asked, inclining his head toward the battle above them.
 
“Right,” Trunks answered as he also transformed into a Super Saiyan. “Remember, Hanzo, all we have to do is hit him, just one time. Speed is the key.” He cast a glance downward at the dome, which continued to shrink in on itself. “But we'd better hurry, before its too late!”
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
Zellis and Clef struggled.
 
Even though they had been fighting against Tempest all this time, the god refused to go on the offensive, and was content to simply let the two weaker warriors waste all of their energy with their vain attacks. Despite their efforts, however, neither Zellis nor Clef was able to even come close to striking their all-powerful opponent. And, to make things worse, Tempest did nothing but laugh cruelly as they spent themselves cracking helplessly against his impenetrable defense. The laughter stopped, though, when Hanzo and Trunks entered the fray.
 
The two Saiyans rushed headlong toward Tempest, bodies encased in flaming auras of golden ki. Zellis and Clef were forced to disengage themselves from the mad god as Trunks and Hanzo crashed into his solid defense. Blow after blow, the two Super Saiyans struck out at their gigantic opponent, but every attack failed to hit the mark, and Tempest remained untouched.
 
Then children started dying.
 
A chill passed through the four warriors, and their attention was immediately drawn down to the dome, where the first wave of Namekian younglings was crushed between the encroaching wall of yellow energy and their frantic fellow-hostages. Tears sprung from Zellis' eyes as dozens of the young, green-skinned children died, and she knew that more would follow if Tempest was not stopped.
 
“Hanzo, Clef, Trunks!” she shouted, pulling her deceased brother's Galdrian energy saber from within her cloak. “Get down there and do whatever you can to stop that thing! I'll eradicate Tempest, or die trying!” Without giving her weary allies a chance to object, the young emerald-haired noblewoman launched herself toward the mad god, her face set in a mask of determination. I have to do this! she thought. I have to do this for Miura, and Iris, and all of those children who've lost their lives because of this sickening game of his!
 
Tempest looked momentarily stunned to see this slight young woman rushing toward him, gleaming jade energy saber prepared to inflict deadly vengeance upon him, just as Miura had on Tiris. He actually gasped, so startled was he when Zellis made her first move, a lightning swift back-handed slash meant to take Tempest's head from his shoulders. He dodged, barely, and Zellis was on the offensive once again, determined to finish what Miura had started on Tiris, and with the very same weapon.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
The barrier was impenetrable.
 
Hanzo and Trunks, still able to sustain their Super Saiyan power, and Clef, who was drawing upon all of the strength available to him, were all unable to even dent the flickering dome. And with every second that they wasted, more young Namekians died. This had been going on for nearly ten minutes, and now scarcely half of the children remained alive. Dende kept calm and tried his best to crowd the youngsters inward, to escape the diminishing half-sphere, but soon it would be too late.
 
“Damn it all!” Clef screamed, causing the earth around the three warriors to tremble slightly. “What can we do?” he asked through clenched teeth, falling to his knees and pounding ineffectively against the glowing yellow barrier. “What the hell can we do?” The nimbus of pale blue energy that had surrounded the enraged Namekian bodyguard slowly faded away as he continued to slam his fists against the unyielding dome of light.
 
“Tempest was right,” Trunks muttered, feeling his stomach sicken as he came to the inevitable conclusion. “Unless we can manage to strike him, that barrier will crush all of them.” He clenched his fists and glanced toward Hanzo, whose body was shuddering with fury. “Hanzo, I don't think Zellis can do this on her own, despite her amazing speed.” When the black-clad Saiyan warrior nodded concurrence, Trunks continued. “Clef, stay here and do what you can, don't give up! Hanzo and I are going to help Zellis!” Without another word, both Saiyans shot skyward, rushing toward the two combatants who were locked in a frenzied struggle high above.
 
Clef rested his forehead against the ever-shrinking dome. He shut his eyes tightly as tears streamed down his face and fell to the ground, body trembling with hopelessness. What can I do? he thought as he continued to plug away at the dome, Tempest's chosen means for what Clef knew would soon be genocide.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
Tempest was on the defensive.
 
Zellis was unsure whether it was her lightning speed or simple fear of Miura's saber that had the god so frantic, and she really didn't care. Her only concern was to kill her opponent, and she let her training and reflexes take over as she chanced a quick glance down toward the dome. She gasped when she noticed Hanzo and Trunks' absence, and her moment of carelessness cost her dearly.
 
Before the Galdrian noblewoman could react, Tempest was upon her, safely inside the reach of her energy blade. One massive fist plummeted down upon her from above, and the pain and shock that rushed through her small body was beyond excruciating. The agony alone felt as if it would kill her as she fell to the ground below, causing an explosion of debris as she collided with the unyielding terrain.
 
Hanzo and Trunks had just entered the battle as Zellis was taken out, and both Saiyans fought with a sudden sense of desperation, which increased as they heard Clef cry out below them. More children had died, if the Namekian's bellow of anguish could be correctly interpreted. Try as they might, however, every punch, kick, and energy blast thrown by Hanzo and Trunks failed to make contact. Tempest was simply too fast, too powerful.
 
I won't continue to be embarrassed like this! Hanzo screamed within his own mind. I am a Saiyan warrior, we do not lose! Not like this! A geyser of energy poured forth from Miura's brother as he caught his second wind, and miraculously, he found Tempest entirely focused on Trunks, leaving himself wide open for attack.
 
His battle-trained instinct took over, and Hanzo found himself rushing silently forward, fist clenched and pulled back, ready to deliver the blow that would end this “game”. Time slowed down for the full-blooded Super Saiyan, and it seemed like his vision had suddenly sharpened, as every detail about the battle now became glaringly clear to him.
 
Trunks lashed out with a right hook, which Hanzo could easily tell was nothing but a feint. As the half-Saiyan's attack was, of course, blocked, Trunks brought his leg straight up, leaving himself wide open to counter attack, but risking it all on this chance to strike his godlike adversary. Tempest didn't contradict his reputation.
 
One arm, moving too quickly to make out, even to Hanzo's battle-heightened senses, snapped forward, grabbing Trunks by the leg and lifting him overhead. After swinging the young Prince around several times, Tempest released, sending Trunks spiraling downward to land somewhere near Zellis.
 
Now! Hanzo shouted noiselessly, using the element of surprise to seemingly materialize before a startled Tempest. The punch was thrown in slow motion to Hanzo's eyes, but Tempest's defense was still lightning fast. The Saiyan warrior cried out in disbelief as his fist was caught firm in the mad god's vice-like grip, and his cry abruptly changed from shock to misery as every bone in his hand was crushed.
 
“My, my,” Tempest said, shaking his head. “That was very good. You almost had me. Really,” he taunted, slowly twisting Hanzo's arm, being very careful only to inflict tremendous pain, not to actually break it. Yet. “I should kill you now, but…” his chilling, distant-sounding voice trailed off as he grinned evilly. “Time is up.”
 
Hanzo's eyes widened, and all pain was forgotten as he whipped his head around, staring over his shoulder at the carnage below. Sure enough, the ground was littered with the corpses of hundreds of dead Namekian children. And there, lying in the middle of the massacre, was Dende, body crushed nearly beyond recognition.
 
The next thing Hanzo knew, he was falling. Tempest was gone, leaving not even the faintest trace of his power anywhere on the planet. Hanzo struck the ground, but not as hard as he would have expected, having landed on the mass of small, broken bodies. He immediately rolled aside, trying to distance himself from the slaughtered children as he felt his stomach begin to heave. He raised himself to hands and knees as he vomited, his entire body quaking with anguish.
 
Trunks had failed. Clef had failed. Zellis had failed. He had failed. Dende was dead, and that meant that, just like on Earth, the Dragon Balls were gone forever. Miura would not be resurrected, and Hanzo's vengeance must go unfulfilled. But vengeance was the furthest thing from his mind at the moment. His brother, his only living family in the entire universe, was truly dead…
 
Without any thought to what his dazed and equally sickened companions might think of him, Hanzo collapsed to the ground and wept.
 
To be continued…
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
In the next chapter:
 
After their heart breaking defeat on Namek, Zellis and the others return to Galdria, where not only another tragedyawaits them, but also a personal message from Tempesthimself
 
Dragon Ball: Chaotic Future
Chapter 17
Mad God Saga, Part VI
“Disaster.”
 
 
 
“DRAGON BALL: CHAOTIC FUTURE” CAN ALSO BE FOUND AT FANFICTION.NET, POJO.COM, AND DBZDIMENSION.COM
 
BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE “CHAOTIC FUTURE” HOMEPAGE AT:
WWW.FREEWEBS.COM/CHAOTICFUTURE