Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Dragon Ball: Chaotic Future ❯ Chapter 32: Return ( Chapter 32 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I DO NOT OWN DRAGON BALL Z OR ANY RACES, PLANETS, OR CHARACTERS RELATED TO IT. GALDRIA, HEVA, TIRIS, IQUELA, MIURA, ZELLIS, SETH, CLEF, HANZO, TWILIGHT AND ALL RELATED CHARACTERS, RACES, OR PLANETS WERE ALL CREATED BY ME.
 
 
Dragon Ball:
Chaotic Future
 
CHAPTER 32
 
Genjin Saga, Part II
“Return.”
 
 
 
The ship sped through the emptiness of space.
 
Miura stood before the control panel of the Capsule Corporation spherical space craft, gazing at the endless field of stars that were displayed on the view screen. The ship was identical to the one that Miura and his companions had used to reach planet Namek, almost three years ago, and it was only because of Bulma's quick thinking that the craft, and several more just like it, had survived Tempest's rampage on Earth. The blue-haired woman had constructed the ships with the same Dyna-Cap technology that had made Capsule Corporation so famous in the past, and she was able to shrink the five interplanetary vessels down to a mere fragment of their original size, for safe keeping.
 
“You look lost,” Zellis commented as she came up behind her adopted-brother. The Galdrian noblewoman had shocked everyone by choosing to accompany Miura rather than her life-bonded Kirien, but the green-haired girl had simply stated that some bonds, like the one she shared with her brother, were simply unbreakable. “Is everything alright?” she prompted, slipping her arm around Miura's waist and laying her head on his shoulder.
 
“No, not really,” the Saiyan-blooded young man answered, smiling down at his sister and former partner. “Just hoping that this all goes according to plan. Which, with the way things have been going lately, seems like a pretty big hope, you know?” Zellis nodded, sharing Miura's doubts.
 
The “plan” that Miura had spoken of had been put into action a mere three days before, and it involved all of the Earth's defenders pairing off to transport the pieces of Tempest placed under their protection to the distant corners of the universe. It had now been almost three months since the mad god had finally been defeated, and it had taken all of that time for everyone to come to agreement on the chosen course of action. Counting the craft that Miura and Zellis now occupied, four Capsule Corporation ships, and one small Galdrian cruiser, were now hurtling through the dark void of space, intent of ridding themselves completely of Tempest's remains.
 
Miura and Zellis were on their way to Applicah, a planet that neither of them had set foot on in over four years. Their destination had been agreed upon by everyone else, for only the two former Hunters would be trusted by Scherez and Niena, under whose protection it was hoped the right arm of Tempest would be placed. Miura had another reason to return to Applicah, however: as a reward for rescuing Clef and him, the crossbreed warrior intended to deliver a large bag of pure Galdrian silver, which would ensure a very comfortable life for the two native Applicans. Zellis had opted to accompany her adopted-brother, saying that they had a lot of lost time to catch up on, and since the journey to Applicah was the longest, it seemed perfect.
 
The left arm of Tempest was now in the care of Clef and Gabriel, who had been chosen to return to Tiris, the original resting place of the mad god's remains. Initially, Kalen had been asked to make the journey, but the Genjin fugitive adamantly refused, arguing that he would never, ever again set foot on the Hevan moon for as long as he lived. His refusal had been so strong, that Gabriel had volunteered to go in his stead, with Clef accompanying him. Their target location was the nearest to Earth, so it was the two of them that would, if all went according to plan, return first to Capsule Corporation.
 
After having escaped his original mission, Kalen was instead sent to Namek with Trunks, where the two warriors would deposit the left leg of Tempest at the bottom of the deepest Namekian ocean. Clef had initially been attached to this task, but, like Kalen, the green-skinned warrior flatly refused to ever return to his home planet. No one could blame him, of course, considering the massacre that had greeted them on their last visit. They would be the second party to return to Earth, if everything went well.
 
Hanzo had surprised everyone by volunteering to take the right leg of Tempest to the Iquelan asteroid belt. Planet Iquela had, after all, been his home for many years, so it made perfect sense for the Saiyan warrior to wish to return there. Even though he wouldn't actually be setting foot on the planet, there was a fair chance that Hanzo would be able to at least see his former home from a distance. Kirien had opted to journey with Hanzo, for she was greatly interested in seeing as much of this universe as possible, and the asteroid belt sounded too impressive to miss. The two of them had left Earth in the small Galdrian cruiser, and other than Miura and Zellis, Hanzo and Kirien would be gone the longest.
 
Dorian had left on the same day as the others, taking another of Bulma's Capsule ships for his long journey home to Galdria. By now, the planet should be well on its way to restoration after the disaster caused there by Tempest, and Dorian would be the stand-in ruler until either Gabriel or Miura could be officially instated as Galdria's next Emperor. Elysia was supposed to accompany her brother on his journey, but had instead decided to remain on Earth to await Miura's return. No one could really blame her, after everything that had happened, and they were actually surprised that she hadn't insisted on joining Miura and Zellis in their task. The Galdrian Princess declared that the two adopted-siblings should be allowed to have some time to themselves, and that she could “be selfish with Arius” when he returned.
 
“Well, I wouldn't worry too much,” the slight Galdrian noblewoman said into the sudden silence. “After facing Tempest, I doubt that there's anyone out there who could give any of us a hard time, right?” She waited for a response from her older brother, and when none came, she stepped back and looked up into his face.
 
Miura stared resolutely at the sea of stars before him, unblinking, unmoving, and feeling entirely uneasy about Zellis' declaration.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
“So, this is it?”
 
Gabriel watched on the Capsule ship's view screen as the pale blue moon of Tiris loomed just below them. The young half-Galdrian had been left behind during the group's last visit here, and he had often wondered what, exactly, the Hevan moon looked like. It sure doesn't look like much, he had to admit, finding it hard to imagine the great battles that had occurred here, one ten-thousand years ago and the other much, much more recently.
 
“Yeah,” Clef answered, crossing his arms over the Saiyan armored vest that he wore. “You haven't seen anything yet. If you think it looks bad from up here, just wait until we land.” The noble Namekian remembered all too clearly the tumultuous upheavals of land and energy that had rocked Tiris after Miura's stunning display of power almost two years ago. I can't even imagine how decimated the place will be now, after a disaster like that…
 
“Not that I need to tell you, Clef,” Gabriel said, adjusting his long, Galdrian-style robes as he started the landing process, “but be careful out there. I've been getting this feeling of… unease for the last couple days.” He shrugged, as if his possible premonition were nothing more than paranoia, but Clef knew better than to ignore the gut feelings of any Galdrian. It had been Zellis, after all, who had somehow known about the coming of Tempest almost a full year before the mad god's existence had even been discovered. “Not that it necessarily means anything, but… well, you know.”
 
Clef made no answer, merely nodding his head as the Capsule ship slowly descended toward the surface of Tiris. After nearly an hour, Clef and Gabriel finally reached their destination. Upon leaving Bulma's space craft, the Saiyan-armored Namekian was bombarded by memories from his last visit to the cold, arid Hevan moon. He shivered, but it was nothing caused by the frigid temperature.
 
The moon was, as Clef had feared, in even worse shape than it had been last time. The terrible destructive powers that had been unleashed by both Tempest and Miura had laid waste to what was already a broken and depressing place. Large fissures, appearing to be nearly bottomless, broke the surrounding area into hundreds of lonely islands amid a sea of nothingness. Where there had once been large outcroppings of stone, nearly small mountains really, there was now nothing. As far as the eye could see, the landscape of Tiris had been shattered and beaten flat, an endless expanse of shifting blue sand.
 
“Are you going to be okay?” Gabriel asked, his blue eyes full of concern. He had never seen Clef so agitated, though he was sure he understood why. This is where it all began, he thought, taking in the stark landscape. Everything we've been put through for the last year and more, it all started here. “Well, let's do what we came here to do, and get the hell out of here,” Gabriel spoke again, hefting the massive left arm of Tempest over his shoulder as he stepped away from the ship. “You've been here before, Clef, so you'd know the best place to put this thing. What do you think?”
 
The Namekian shook his head, turning away from the barren scene before him to stare intently at his half-Galdrian companion. “This isn't the Tiris that I'm familiar with, Gabriel,” Clef said, a hint of dark amusement in his voice. “Nothing's the same here anymore; I'm as lost as you are, I'm afraid.” He returned his attention to the surrounding area, peering through the shifting clouds of dust and sand, trying vainly to get his bearings. “I think, if it survived the calamity, there should be a pretty deep crater somewhere in that direction,” he pointed a white-gloved hand toward the west, though one direction looked pretty much the same as any other in this hopeless place. “That's where we should go.”
 
With nothing better to go on, the two travelers, weighed down by their sinister burden, trekked off into the arid, azure wasteland of Tiris, knowing that soon their struggle against the mad god would finally, truly be at an end.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
Applicah hadn't changed a bit.
 
“Well, here it is,” Miura said softly, shielding his eyes against the shockingly bright sun. Several yards away, barely noticeable in the stark environment and shifting sands, the top two feet of Niena and Scherez's underground shelter could be seen. It had taken the two Galdrians nearly three hours to force their way through the crowded streets of Felcian, the nearest city to the native Applicans' home, and another hour or so to trudge through the wasteland desert that Scherez and Niena called home. Now their long journey to rid themselves of Tempest's right arm was finally at an end, or so Miura hoped.
 
“Do you really think they'll be willing to take it?” Zellis asked, voicing her adopted-brother's silent doubt. “I mean, if they're really as sensitive to energy signatures as you say, I wouldn't be shocked if they wanted nothing to do with it.” She wiped sweat from her forehead on the baggy sleeve of her loose white desert-shirt. After arriving on Applicah, both former Hunters had realized that the clothing they'd brought with them from Earth, which was heavier and not suited for an arid environment, would be far too uncomfortable to wear. The first thing they'd done was purchase a matching set of loose-fitting, light-weight outfits designed specifically for life in Applicah's desert setting.
 
“Let's hope so,” Miura replied as he began walking toward the underground compound. He hadn't taken more than a dozen steps when a man exited the subterranean dwelling, a large energy rifle leveled at the two Galdrian nobles.
 
“Stay where you are, both of you,” he ordered, his blue eyes flashing with a mixture of anger and fear. “I don't know who you are, but we have nothing of value here, so leave us in peace!” When neither “intruder” made a move to retreat, the dark-skinned man readied his weapon. “I will shoot you!”
 
“Scherez, put that toy down,” Miura called out cheerfully. He shifted the weight of Tempest's limb under his other arm, reaching down to pull the heavy pouch of silver from his belt. “You're going to have a hard time lifting all this silver if your hands are full with that thing.” With that, Miura gently tossed the pouch toward Scherez, who remained motionless as it landed heavily in the sand before him.
 
“I know that voice,” Scherez said with a grin, dropping the rifle as he bent down to pick up Miura's reward. “I barely recognized you, Miura! What in God's name brings you to this hellish place?” Scherez walked forward and caught his old friend in a firm embrace, laughing as he did so. “With the way you complained about our weather during your last visit here, I never thought we'd see you again. It seems, though,” the Applican said, hefting the bag of silver to test its weight, “that you are good on your promise, I see.” His pale blue eyes were alight with amusement as he released Miura and turned his attention to Zellis. “And who might this goddess be, eh?”
 
“My sister Zellis, and she's taken,” Miura replied, moving off toward the underground home of Niena and Scherez. “And can we get inside? This heat is killing me!”
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
Clef dodged the attack.
 
Who the hell are these guys? he wondered as he and Gabriel remained huddled behind an outcropping of stone, their destination mere yards away. The Namekian's reasoning had been sound, after all, and the two warriors had reached the crater that Clef had spoken of after a couple hours of travel through the unrelenting wasteland of Tiris. Upon arriving, however, Gabriel and Clef had discovered that they weren't alone on the Hevan moon. A small party, mercenaries or unlicensed Hunters by their look, had jumped the two travelers from Earth, forcing them back and unleashing a seemingly unending stream of energy and projectile attacks. Unsure of the mysterious group's intentions, Clef was loath to simply walk out and obliterate them, so he and Gabriel had remained on the defensive until they could come up with a plan.
 
“Well, I think its safe enough to say that they aren't friendly,” Gabriel shouted over the clamor of battle. “What do you think, Clef?” the young half-Galdrian asked, holding his energy saber tightly in both hands, obviously prepared to end this. “I'm ready, if you are…”
 
With a single nod from Clef, both warriors shot out from behind their cover, Gabriel heading toward the dozen or so that had kept them pinned down while the Namekian bodyguard focused on the one he thought was the leader. As Gabriel and Clef neared their attackers, it suddenly became obvious to both of them that their opponents weren't entirely organic. Each of the mysterious mercenaries had one thing in common, even their leader: their bodies had been outfitted with cybernetic implants, granting them increased strength and speed.
 
Just great, Gabriel thought as his saber sprang to life with a flash of blue energy. Dorian's son rushed his twelve adversaries, sacrificing safety for sheer speed. Several weak blasts of energy collided with the Galdrian-robed warrior, but he simply ignored them as he focused on his first target, a large, hulking, beast of a man with two cyborg-arms. As Gabriel closed in, the massive mercenary grinned maliciously, showing a mouth full of crooked, yellow teeth. Before the technologically-enhanced attacker could react, however, Gabriel was past him, moving on to the next target. It took the cyborg a moment to comprehend what had just happen, and he fell to the ground dead from Gabriel's well-placed saber strike.
 
Two more mercenaries fell before the others could form up, and a fourth and fifth went down as Gabriel recklessly charged the group of them. Eventually, the remaining seven fighters realized that their long distance weapons weren't going to help them as Gabriel continued to close in for hand-to-hand combat, and they switched over to something a little more practical. Each one of them reached into their tattered, dirty cloaks and pulled out a rod of dull grey metal, perhaps two-and-a-half feet in length. As they pressed a button the handle of their strange weapon, the main shaft began to glow with a disconcerting red light.
 
Some kind of heat-rods! Gabriel thought as he narrowly dodged a backhanded swipe from one of his opponents. The air around the Galdrian Prince sizzled with heat and energy as the seven remaining mercenaries finally united and forced Gabriel on the offensive. The pace of combat became frenzied, and the blue-eyed young man was forced to guard from every direction, though his enemies had yet to actually harm him. I sure hope Clef's doing better than I am…
 
Clef, actually, was doing better than Gabriel. The leader of this band of techno-thugs was more machine than man, but rather than that being an advantage, the man's cybernetic enhancements were proving to be a hindrance instead. Clef's body was glowing brightly with an aura of blue energy, and he focused an incredible amount of that ki into each of his attacks. Since the mercenary leader was composed mostly of inorganic material, he couldn't generate enough ki to defend effectively against the Namekian's onslaught. Clef lunged at his opponent, feinting with a pulled back fist while crushing the cyborg with a power-laced knee to the abdomen. The mercenary leader cried out in pain and frustration as he was sent reeling back, and he slid to a stop amidst a cloud of kicked-up blue dust. He lay there, unmoving, as Clef approached him.
 
“What are you doing here?” the Namekian asked, his flaring aura of shining blue energy slowly dying down, leaving only slight wisps of power coursing around his body. When no answer came, Clef knelt down beside the unmoving cyborg, his eyes narrowed with anger and suspicion. “Maybe you didn't hear me,” he muttered through clenched teeth as he reached out to grab the leader's arm. “I said—” Before Clef could even react, an explosion of heat and power enveloped his body, forcing him away from the downed techno-mercenary.
 
The cyborgs' boss stood calmly to his feet, his metallic body shimmering with reflected heat. As Clef staggered back, his eyes stunned by the sudden attack, the technologically-enhanced fighter grinned, his red, cybernetic eyes lighting up with glee. He strode confidently forward, fire spewing from several small vents along his arms and back. A scream of pain distracted the mostly-machine mercenary, and he looked behind him just in time to see one of his henchmen, engulfed in fiery white Galdrian energy, collide with him.
 
With a rush of energy, Gabriel appeared next to Clef, who had finally recovered his senses after his opponent's sneak attack. The half-human warrior exuded the familiar energy of his Heaven's Wrath transformation, and the remains of the other mercenaries lay piled up behind him. As he and Clef both assumed offensive positions, the cyborg leader managed to extricate himself from the scorched remnants of his now-dead subordinate.
 
“I… I don't believe this,” the leader stuttered, his voice tinged with a strange metallic accent. “He never said anything about you being so strong!” He slowly backed away, body trembling with every step. “Why didn't he warn us?”
 
“Who are you talking about?” Gabriel asked, stepping menacingly forward, one hand clutching tightly to his still-active energy saber, and the other balled into a fist. “Did someone send you here after us?” When no answer was forthcoming, Gabriel unclenched his fist, generating a small, but immensely powerful, sphere of white-hot Power. “You'd better answer us, pal…”
 
“I swear, I don't know!” the mercenary responded at last, dropping to his knees, his hands held up before him in supplication. “I never saw him; he always kept the video feed scrambled whenever he contacted us.” The techno-thug swallowed hard, his voice taking on a panicked edge. “He just told us to be here, waiting… He said someone would be coming, and that if we killed them, he'd reward us… That's all, I swear!”
 
Gabriel clenched his fist once again, dispersing his small concentration of energy as he looked over his shoulder at Clef. The Namekian's features said it all: it was obvious to Clef that something very wrong was going on, but it was also obvious that he didn't really know what. “Well Clef, what should we do with him?”
 
“Leave him,” the green-skinned warrior responded, tilting his head toward the crater. Gabriel nodded understanding, and he ran over to where the left arm of the mad god had remained hidden behind the stone outcropping. “Listen to me,” Clef continued, returning his attention to the groveling fighter at his feet. “Get the hell out of here, and never come back, got it?” The mercenary nodded, and Clef turned back to face Gabriel, who was just climbing back up out of the crater, having successfully hidden the fragment of Tempest. “Alright then, let's get home Gabriel. I suddenly have the feeling that everyone else may be in trouble, too…”
 
Fools, the cybernetic mercenary thought as he watched both of his enemies turn their backs on him. Look at them, they think they've won! It took all of his self-control to move so slowly, so patiently, but eventually the cyborg stood to his feet, generating as much power as he could for one final attack. He took one step forward and, thrusting his arms out in front of him, launched a tremendous burst of fire and energy at his two retreating opponents.
 
Clef felt the spike of energy and spun around, calmly crossing his arms in front of him as the attack neared. A surge of blue ki fountained up around the Namek, who held his ground as the cyber-mercenary's attack collided with his defenses. A blinding flash of light followed, and as it died down, it was obvious that the cyborg's attack had had little or no affect on Clef. Gabriel merely smiled in amusement at the look of stunned disbelief on the mercenary leader's face.
 
“You should have left well enough alone!” Clef roared as he fired off a single blast of energy toward the mercenary. The half-machine fighter screamed in terror and pain as the attack engulfed him, creating an explosion of fire and blue energy. When the smoke cleared, there was nothing left of the techno-mercenary other than a pool of melted, bubbling metal. “Let's go,” Clef said, starting back off in the direction of their ship.
 
Gabriel nodded, but looked back at the bodies of their ambushers. If someone knew that we'd be coming here, and sent those guys after us, what about the others? The thought filled him with a sudden chill, reminiscent of the feeling of discontent that he'd been experiencing over the past several days. I have a really, really bad feeling about this…
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
Niena and Scherez sat in stunned silence.
 
“Young man, if I hadn't gotten to know you so well during the months that you stayed here with us, I'd be forced to call you a liar,” Niena finally spoke, shuddering slightly as she pulled her light shawl tighter about her frail shoulders. “And, of course, if not for that vile thing you've brought here with you…” She turned her still-sharp, pale blue eyes toward the corner of the room, where the now-covered up right arm of Tempest leaned against the wall. “What awful, awful power…”
 
“Ma'am,” Zellis began, her hands clenched nervously in her lap. “Miura and I were hoping that… well, we thought that maybe you and your companion would see fit to…” The green-haired noblewoman looked over at Miura, who sat opposite the table from her. At that moment Scherez, who had left the room after Miura's tale to get everyone some cool water, returned and sat next to Zellis. She nodded her thanks as he handed her a clay vessel filled with icy cold, fresh water.
 
“What would you have us do, my Lady?” Scherez asked gallantly as he handed out the rest of the drinks. “It seems obvious to me that you and Miura had more than one reason to return here, even if you claim otherwise.” He took a long drink from his cup and wiped his mouth on the back of his hand. “Please do not misunderstand me, for your reward is most welcome, as is your esteemed company,” he flashed a charming smile toward Zellis, who merely raised a questioning eyebrow. Seeing that he was getting nowhere, Scherez cleared his throat self-consciously and continued. “I am only curious as to why you brought that,” he gestured toward Tempest's arm, “here?”
 
“Actually,” Miura began, locking gazes with Niena, who had remained silent since her earlier statement, “we were hoping that…” Suddenly, Miura found the words sticking in his throat. How can I possibly ask this of them? he wondered, shaking his head slightly. I can't ask them to bear this burden; what was I thinking?
 
Niena sighed, reaching across the table to take Miura's hand in both of her own. “You were hoping that Scherez and I would be willing to watch over this thing, so that it never again falls into the wrong hands…” She smiled, though there was no humor in it. “Am I correct?” When Miura and Zellis both nodded agreement, Niena sat back and once again pulled her shawl tighter about her. “I see…”
 
“Wait,” Scherez said, belatedly realizing what had just been said. “You want to leave that thing here with us? Are you mad?” he exclaimed, jaw dropping and eyes widening with disbelief. “But… but why?”
 
Miura stood and began pacing the small room, a nervous habit that Zellis hadn't seen him exhibit since childhood. This isn't easy for him, she concluded, sighing to herself. Not that it's easy for any of us. We're asking these people to possibly put their lives on the line, to spend the rest of their existences watching over that piece of Tempest… She looked at her two hosts, seeing the obvious signs of stress playing across their features. If they say no, I won't blame them. I won't blame them at all.
 
“Miura, you wouldn't ask this of us if you didn't feel it was incredibly important,” Niena said softly, still staring at the mad god's right arm out of the corner of her eye. “I will do what you wish, but you must understand something.” She turned her full attention now on Miura, who had stopped pacing and now stared at the fragile old woman with an expression of complete and utter shock. “I'm old, my friend, older than you might think. And my time on this plane of existence is dangerously close to its end. I will watch over this abomination until the end of my days,” she paused for a moment and cast a quick glance toward Scherez. “And when I am gone, the fate of your `gift' over there will be solely in the hands of Scherez.”
 
“Me?” the native Applican gulped, his eyes growing even wider. “What am I to do with it when you pass on, Niena?” he asked, his dark face becoming suddenly pale. Yet even as he asked the question, he knew the answer, though he didn't like it. “I… I will continue to guard it, even after Niena is gone. If she, as old and decrepit as she is, is willing to take on this monumental task, then who am I to turn it down?”
 
Niena growled as she spun in her seat to stare directly at Scherez, who retreated in mock terror. “Old and decrepit, am I?” she shouted playfully, picking up a nearby vase of pale yellow desert flowers and holding it above her head, as if preparing to lob it at her long-time companion. “I'll show you old and decrepit!”
 
As the two Applicans continued to banter back and forth, Miura came up behind his sister and placed his hands on her shoulders. Zellis looked up and saw something in the crossbreed's eyes that she hadn't seen in a very, very long time. It took her a moment to finally realize what it was, and once she did, the young noblewoman knew that her own expression was a mirror of her adopted-brothers'.
 
For there, in Miura's tired eyes, Zellis saw hope.
 
To be continued…
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
In the next chapter:
 
Miura, Zellis, Clef, and Gabriel have completed their part of the mission, and two of the vessels containing Tempest's power have been safely hidden. Will Trunks and Kalen be as successful on their leg of the journey, or will the young half-Saiyan find more than he's bargaining for on planet Namek?
 
Dragon Ball: Chaotic Future
Chapter 33
Genjin Saga, Part III
“Betrayal.”
 
 
 
“DRAGON BALL: CHAOTIC FUTURE” CAN ALSO BE FOUND AT FANFICTION.NET, POJO.COM, AND DBZDIMENSION.COM
 
BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE “CHAOTIC FUTURE” HOMEPAGE AT:
WWW.FREEWEBS.COM/CHAOTICFUTURE