Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Dragonball Z: The Android Threat ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Within a month I had established the basics; how to fly and control my energy, which included suppressing it to hide from potential enemies and also how to locate and track another's Ki. Then came the physical part; learning how to fight. Thankfully my Saiyan instincts seemed to kick in and although I found every day hard work and exhausting I revelled in it. Goku seemed to as well; even though he trained with Gohan regularly and pushed himself as far as he could when he and Piccolo would spar, he seemed to enjoy having someone to teach from the very beginning himself. He had of course missed out on Gohan's first year as a warrior (what with being dead) and had even gone as far as to get me a uniform very similar to his own which was marked with his name to show his status as my mentor. Gohan had chosen to wear clothes similar to Piccolo's, only minus the cape and odd hat.
 
“You know, I think by the end of these three years you'll be quite a fighter!” Goku said as we landed in front of his house. It was time for the fortnightly return to visit Chi Chi, and to get a day's rest. We'd been training for three months now, almost non-stop. Though every night when we settled down to rest, just before I drifted off to sleep, I'd take a few moments to think about Shigeru… and wonder where he was amongst the stars in the sky.
 
I dodged a punch from the young half saiyan, ducking low before bringing a leg up to hit him in the gut. Gohan soared backwards a few feet before flipping and coming straight back at me, brandishing a glowing ball of energy in his hand. I concentrated hard, I knew I could deflect a blast that small and pushed my energy into my right fist ready to punch it away.
 
“Lani!” a voice called.
 
I lost my concentration at the sound and looked behind me, a big mistake. The Ki ball hit me hard on my chest, knocking the air from my lungs as I hit the ground.
 
“Ow, holy crap!” I swore breathlessly. A pair of icy blue eyes appeared above me.
 
“Not like you to be so easily distracted” Shigeru grinned.
 
I returned his look with a steely glare, “Well I've not seen you in nearly three weeks. What have you been doing?”
 
At that point Gohan appeared, crouching at my side looking concerned, “Did I hurt you Lani?”
 
I took Shigeru's outstretched hand and stood up easily, knowing I'd have a bruise by tonight but that was the only damage done. I shook my head, “No, I'm fine. Why don't you go find Goku, I want to speak with Shigeru for a while”
 
Gohan nodded and took off for the mountains, I turned to my old friend and sighed, “I guess I know what you're here for then”
 
“You told me to come say goodbye”
 
I pushed my hair from my eyes; Chi Chi had taken it upon herself to fix me up once Goku had explained who I was and that I'd be staying with them. My hair was now cut to just below my shoulders but I kept it back in a plait, except for my unruly fringe which fell across my face haphazardly, “When are you going?”
 
“When I'm all done here, Doctor Briefs just finished designing me a space ship. It should do to get me where I need to go”
 
“Which is?”
 
Shigeru smiled and tapped his nose with a wink.
 
I bit my lip anxiously, “Will you be coming back?”
 
At that his smile warmed, “Of course I will, you think I'm just going to leave you after all we've been through?”
 
At that I couldn't stop my eyes from beginning to fill with hot tears. I knew this wasn't really goodbye, more `see you later', but the thought of not seeing him everyday… the past few weeks had been tough enough even with the constant distraction of training.
 
“I'm going to miss you” I said, choking on the words as the tears finally spilled onto my cheeks.
 
“Lani… not in fifteen years have I seen you cry…”
 
I tried to stifle my sobs, it seemed all the stored feelings and tears from the past few years were finally coming out in this one moment, “Sorry… I wish I could come with you. Maybe when this is done here…” I whispered as I wiped my face.
 
“You've got your family here now, you don't need an old fool like me around” he said, his eyes shining.
 
“Yes I do…” I said in a strangled voice, “No one else knows… what it was like”
 
He pulled me into a tight embrace, I wrapped my arms around him tightly before hearing his low croak of a laugh, “You sure have gotten strong… but I need to breathe kiddo”
 
I jumped back from him quickly.
 
“You take care of yourself Lani, and if you get into trouble… I want you to get out of there” he told me quietly.
 
I looked up at him with eyes wide with shock, not once had he ever told me to run from anything, avoid trouble if you can… but never to abandon a fight.
 
“I'm not around to keep you in line and I know how… hot-headed you can get”
 
I nodded. I made no verbal promise to his request though, and I think he knew what that meant. With one final mock salute he turned on his heal and jumped into the sky. I watched him go until he was nothing but a small dot on the horizon, trying to imprint everything about how he looked into my mind. The way he had pulled his hair into a very short pony tail at the nape of his neck, his gapped grin and ice blue eyes…
 
I rubbed my face harshly and turned towards the mountains; feeling out my uncle's Ki, and jumped into the sky.
 
“You think we've got a good chance against the androids Dad?”
 
Goku looked at his son with a confident grin, “Of course! We weren't prepared in the other timeline. But now with you, me, Piccolo and Vegeta training, not to mention another Saiyan” he said with a nod in my direction, “I think we've got the best chance there is!”
 
My mind wandered back to Bulma and Vegeta and I smiled as I wondered how the pair were getting along.
 
Piccolo was nodding in agreement, “Yes, I think we have the best possible chance there is. Especially if Vegeta is able to push himself to reach the level of super saiyan…”
 
Gohan looked slightly pale at the thought, “As long as he stays on our side”
 
Goku only laughed and patted his son on the back, it was then that Chi Chi swung the door open and demanded everyone inside to eat. Apparently she'd been preparing for our return all day, as was evident from the piles of food on the kitchen table. It didn't take Gohan and Goku long to find their seats and begin to tuck in, much to Chi Chi's dismay. Piccolo remained outside to meditate; his only form of nourishment was water so that was one less mouth to feed, (in Chi Chi's words). After the numerous helpings of dinner, came pudding, and by this point the boys had slowed down enough to partake in the conversation between Chi Chi and myself.
 
“You know it's Gohan's birthday in a few weeks, perhaps we should do something to celebrate” she said cheerfully, much to Gohan's approval as he nodded away enthusiastically, ice cream dripping down his chin, “You know Lani, we don't even know when your birthday is!”
 
I swallowed my mouthful of pie and looked sheepishly at the woman, “I'm not really sure…”
 
Chi Chi gaped at me, “You don't know when your birthday is?”
 
“No… I'm not sure what a birthday is”
 
Even Goku stopped eating to look at me wide eyed, “You've never celebrated a birthday? We do for Gohan every year! It's to celebrate the day you were born”
 
“Oh, well things like that weren't much of a celebration on Frieza's ship”
 
“How old are you exactly?” Chi Chi asked.
 
“Erm… well Shigeru mentioned something about knowing me for fifteen years, and he's always been there so I suppose that's how old I am”
 
Chi Chi nodded, “Well this just won't do. We need a date! I'll ask Bulma if she can patch through to your friend and see if he knows… until then you can have a joint celebration with Gohan for all the years you missed!”
 
“That'd be great!” Gohan piped up, “Can we invite Bulma? And Krillen? What about Master Roshi and-“
 
“Hold on, slow down Gohan. I don't think we've enough room here for everyone”
 
“Aw come on Chi Chi, it'll be fun to have everyone together again”
 
After much coaxing Chi Chi finally exclaimed in a voice loud enough to scare the daylights out of the squirrels outside that she'd invite everyone she could get a hold off. I was smiling broadly as I went off to sleep that night, and for many of the nights that followed… and the next two birthdays that I celebrated as part of Goku's family.
 
Three years later…
 
The time had finally come. There was no more training to be done, I had learnt everything I was capable of and pushed myself to the very limits. Goku seemed confident in my abilities, and even Piccolo had nodded in approval as my uncle squeezed my shoulder reassuringly as we prepared to leave for the arrival of the Androids. Chi Chi stood outside the house I had come to call my home, trying to keep back the tears fighting for release.
 
“Take care of each other ok?” she said quietly.
 
“Don't worry Chi Chi, we'll be just fine” Goku reassured.
 
“Yeah, don't worry I'll keep an eye on these two” I said with a knowing grin at the woman, in our time together she had shared many stories of my uncle and cousins exploits (apparently Goku's only fear so far, was that of needles!). The pair of us had bonded well over the past three years, I could tell she missed female company but she loved her family nonetheless.
 
She held back a chuckle as she waved us goodbye, the three of us were soon in sky and headed south for the city. The wind beneath me felt so freeing, even though I knew there was a battle ahead of us I could feel my blood pulsing with anticipation and excitement. I guess that was the saiyan side of me coming out, as I looked to my side I could see the same look on Goku's face. He smirked at me when he realised I was watching him.
 
“Excited?” he said
 
“You bet, you think we're ready though?”
 
“As ready as we'll ever be!” he replied, picking up speed to draw in line with Gohan.
 
After a few minutes of flying in silence I heard Gohan call out, “Hey look, I can see Krillen!”
 
Sure enough, only a few feet ahead of us was the short bald man who had helped me first learn to fly. He joined the four of us as we grew closer to the city, swapping `hellos' with us all and questioning how our training had gone.
 
“Nice to see we've got another on our side” he said to me, “Another saiyan is always helpful” he said with a chuckle.
 
“Here to help, wanna live!” I grinned
 
“Me too” he replied, a dark tone hidden in his laugh.
 
Fifteen minutes later we sensed the energy of two more people, it seemed Yamcha and Tien were waiting atop a cliff that overlooked the city which was soon to be under attack. We touched down beside them and I grinned as I caught sight of Bulma, or more importantly the small bundle in Bulma's arms.
 
“Wow Bulma, who's the baby?” gasped Krillen.
 
“This is my son, Trunks!” Bulma said proudly.
 
“Congratulations Bulma, who's the father? Is it you Yamcha?”
 
The man's face hardened at Gohan's question, he looked at the ground as he muttered, “Nope. Not my kid, but wait till you find out who the father really is…”
 
I felt a small pang of sympathy for Yamcha then, but was soon distracted as Goku bent down to inspect the baby, “I bet he's Vegeta's son, isn't that right Trunks”
 
“How did you know Goku?” Bulma frowned.
 
Goku jumped back, realising his mistake. No one should know yet that Bulma had given birth to Vegeta's child!
 
“Er… he kind of… looks like Vegeta doesn't he!”
 
Bulma looked down at her son lovingly, “I suppose”
 
“Can I see him?” I asked eagerly, I'd never seen a baby before.
 
“Go ahead, hold him if you want”
 
I took the child carefully in my arms and rested him on my hip just like Bulma had.
 
“There you go Lani, natural motherly instinct huh” she winked.
 
The young Trunks gurgled up at me, obviously trying to figure out why his mother no longer had blue hair and eyes. He twisted his head to locate Bulma, and smiled when he spotted her talking with Goku. I sat down on the cool grass, placing him in a seated position in my lap, and waited for Bulma to retrieve him. Gohan crawled over to the pair of us and began to pull faces, intending to amuse Trunks but causing me to crease up with laugher as well. It was so hard to believe that anything bad could happen today.
 
Why was it whenever things felt right, everything went wrong…
 
X
 
It happened so fast, not one of saw it coming. One minute Gohan and the others were looking toward the horizon as Yajirobe drew closer, the next the sky was filled with a red light as his hover car exploded.
 
“Look, I see them! The androids!” Yamcha shouted
 
We all stared as two shapes dropped from the sky and into the city.
 
“Darn! Gohan, go and see if Yajirobe is ok and then bring him back to Bulma. The rest of you, let's spread out across the city and find those androids!” Goku commanded.
 
Not one of us argued. I handed Trunks back to Bulma and turned to jump into the sky and follow the others into the city. I landed somewhere in the south beside a long row of shops, the city was filled with more people then I'd ever seen before! I shook my head and focused, I had a job to do. I could go sight seeing when this was over!
 
I kept my tail tucked firmly around my waist, which I had been allowed to keep as apparently there was no moon on this planet since Piccolo blew it up some time ago. I hadn't even been aware that saiyans could transform with moonlight until Goku thought out loud about removing my tail.
 
I headed along the street, taking in the faces of the people around me. No one looked out of place or suspicious in any way, I assumed that I should probably keep an eye out for a pair as it seemed these two worked together. Keeping my energy suppressed so as not to draw attention to myself, in case they could sense energy, I roamed the city on constant alert. Subconsciously I tried to find the others, so I knew just how far from them I was. I could feel Gohan, he had just reached Bulma, and I could sense a much smaller energy with him. That must be Yajirobe.
 
Suddenly I felt a peak of energy to the east… Yamcha! I looked around and grunted in frustration, I didn't want to suddenly jump into the air and frighten the people around me, but something was wrong.
 
I crossed the street and decided to run through the alleys to reach him, I was faster then most humans after my trainingm even though flying was much easier. It only took me a few minutes to reach my destination, I turned a corner, feeling the energy of Piccolo and Goku as I approached and gasped at what I saw. The android had his hand through Yamcha's stomach! I felt my own twist in horror, but I ignored the feeling and ran forward to stand side by side with the others.
 
I tried not to gag when the android pulled his hand from Yamcha's body, I bared my teeth when the white haired being merely shook the blood from his hand and looked us up and down before dropping Yamcha's limp body on the ground. Krillen moved forward to carry his comrade's body, on Goku's instructions, back to Bulma where he could recover with a sensu bean. My hands were balled into fists at my side as the android looked about calmly, Piccolo stood by my side, as confident as ever.
 
“So these are the big bad androids? Kinda funny looking if you ask me” he commented.
 
The one with long white hair turned his head to face the Namekian, “Well now, I find it surprising that you should know we are androids. Of course I find it even more surprising that all of you have anticipated our arrival here. How did you know we would come?”
 
Piccolo balled his hands into fists and glared, “If you're so tough why don't you make us!” he exclaimed.
 
“Very well…” the androids smirked.
 
As though we all shared the same mind, Tien, Goku, Piccolo and myself powered up simultaneously, jumping into fighting stance. The fire from the androids destruction roared behind us as we stared down our enemies.
 
“There's way too many innocent people around here, we've got to lead these two out of the city” Goku said over his shoulder.
 
“Yes… it is too crowded here” The cold voice caught our attention, “I agree, many people could get in our way. I will see to it that they do not”
 
I felt a sudden jolt of terror run through my body as I realised what the android had planned, his eyes began to glow red and we were all forced to duck as beams of energy began to obliterate the surrounding buildings… and anyone within them.
 
I covered my eyes as debris was thrown everywhere, but a sudden surge of energy forced me to open them as I watched my uncle charge the offending android. With a loud cry of anger he thrust his fist into the side of the androids face, forcing him back a few feet and knocking the hat from his head. Sure enough the blasts stopped but it was too late for the people around us. My eyes widened as I looked upon the androids who stood so calm amongst the devastation. The one who had been hit by Goku bent down to retrieve his hat, aiming to cover the exposed portion of his head… which looked like a glass casing for his brain.
 
I felt my stomach squirm at the sight, but Tien's gasp of horror forced me to look back… the entire area around us was on fire. I had never seen anything like it… at least half the city was gone! I could hear the cries of people trapped inside the burning buildings and felt rage engulf my body.
 
“You monster!” Goku growled dangerously.
 
“I cleared the area in accordance with your wishes” the android replied, “Do you disagree with my methods”
 
Goku stepped forward, “Leave these people out of this!”
 
“There are no more people to `leave out'” said the small, fat android at his companions side. His voice disturbed me, but also incensed me further at the amusement in it.
 
“Lead us to a place you wish to fight… Goku”
 
Tien gasped, “How did you know his name was Goku?”
 
“I know all of you… the Namek Piccolo, and even you, the one named Tien… but it seems… yes I have no files on the female. This is very odd”
 
I glowered back as his cold eyes swept over me, trying to put all of my hate into one look. I could hear the sounds of sirens heading our way.
 
“Let's get acquainted later!” Goku said firmly as he powered up, “Follow me!”
 
Together we powered up and followed as he led us away from the ruins of the city. Tien, Piccolo and myself hung back as the androids stayed close to Goku, we were watching them closely in case they tried a surprise attack. We passed over several islands, Goku obviously sensing out the most remote area for the fight. I felt Gohan's energy power up from a few miles behind, shortly followed by Krillen and Yamcha.
 
We spent several minutes in the air until the android who seemed to be in charge demanded we stop and lowered himself onto a nearby island. We all followed silently. I cast a look at my uncle, noticing the strained look on his face as he held a hand to his chest. Piccolo was taking the surroundings, and Tien was watching Goku with concern. I took in a deep breathe, swallowing any fear and letting the adrenaline take over.
 
Tien turned to the androids, “How did you know our names, tell us now!”
 
“Hmm… very well, not that it shall matter soon. But if this is the last thing you wish to hear before you die then so be it…”
 
He went on to explain how the fighters of Earth had been followed for years, which explained why they had no information on my identity. It seemed that the androids purpose was that of revenge against Goku for a previous fight against the Red Ribbon Army. I recalled the story of Goku's victory, one of the many tales Goku had shared with me when we trained together.
 
“Tell me, was Dr Gero spying on me when I was fighting on Planet Namek?”
 
“It wasn't necessary, it was assumed your power would continue to increase so that factor was calculated and input into our design” the android replied.
 
Goku smirked, “You might think you know everything there is to know about me, but really… you're not even close”
 
“Did your calculations predict that Goku would be a super saiyan?” Piccolo added with amusement.
 
I watched in awe as Goku gritted his teeth and began his transformation into super saiyan, this wasn't the first time I'd witnessed him in this form but I was still blown away by it every time.
 
“Piccolo, Tien, Lani. Stay out of this, it seems they only want me… and that's what they'll get”
 
The smaller android stepped forward, “I have no files on this technique”
 
“It is of no matter; my sensors indicate there is no cause for concern. It may be an impressive ability but it is nothing we cannot handle. Nineteen, you can demonstrate this by yourself”
 
I stepped back as Goku powered up once more before leaping forward.
 
The fight had begun.
 
X
 
Goku moved with lightening speed, the past three years had all been about this moment and it seemed all the hard work was paying off! I suppressed a grin as Goku sent the android through a small mountain, Tien punched the air with a hoot. Goku definitely had the upper hand in this fight.
 
I glanced to my side to where Piccolo stood, watching closely. His was face unreadable. Of all of us Piccolo seemed the most observant, possibly the wisest when it came to using logic in a battle. Goku fought with his heart, Piccolo used his head. I often wondered which was better…
 
“Wow, Goku's got it in the bag!” Tien smiled.
 
“Maybe…”
 
“Piccolo?” I questioned.
 
He shook his head at me, turning his gaze back to the fight. At that point Gohan, Krillen and Yamcha landed beside us. Tien quickly got them up to speed on the battle so far, the three older men cheered loudly, sure of Goku's victory. I looked at Gohan, the young boy looked so much like Piccolo at that moment, it was uncanny. But it made me worry, what had they picked up on that I was missing?
 
“You're right to worry Gohan” Piccolo said, “Goku just isn't his usual self, his attacks aren't even hurting the android! He's going to need our help you guys!”
 
Tien turned to the Namek, “Hey, your being paranoid”
 
“No, Goku's going to be maxed out soon if he keeps this up”
 
Gohan nodded in agreement; worry clear across his young features, “I can see it too. Hey guys, remember what Yamcha said about when the android touched him? How he felt weak, as though his energy was leaving him?”
 
Yamcha confirmed Gohan's story. Meanwhile, Goku sent the android crashing to the ground only a few feet from where we stood. After a tense pause we heard him power up and prepare to use his trademark move.
 
“Ka-me-ha-me-ha!”
 
The energy blast soared towards the android, sure to engulf him in with its power. But instead of making any attempt to flee or block, the android raised his hands high into the air and laughed gleefully.
 
I'm pretty sure my jaw hit the floor when I saw what he did next. He absorbed the attack! Like water into sponge, the energy disappeared into his outstretched hands without harming him at all.
 
“What?” I gasped.
 
Goku hung in midair before falling somewhat ungraciously to the ground. He was panting, supporting himself with one hand whilst the other clutched his chest. It seemed he couldn't even stand, my blood ran cold as I felt his wavering energy signal.
 
“The virus!” I shouted, “It's attacking his heart right now!”
 
Krillen was shouting something at Gohan; I looked at him as he pulled out a small pouch from his shirt and threw a sensu bean to Goku. But it was no good, the android begun his second attack moments after Goku had finished the bean. He was sent several feet across the ground before stopping, but he didn't get up. He powered down. The android landed on Goku's weakening body, his hands clamped around his throat.
 
“It's taking his energy” Yamcha cried.
 
“That's it, Goku needs our help!”
 
Piccolo powered up and we all followed suit, jumping into the air and headed toward the android. But we didn't count on the other one getting in our way.
 
“You will stay where you are, that is unless any of you are foolish enough to think that you can get past me!”
 
We all remained motionless, I bit back a growl. Why were we all standing here when Goku was dying right in front of us!
 
“Think again” Piccolo smirked, lunging at the android, but in the blink of an eye Piccolo was headed toward the ground. He had been shot by two beams from the androids eyes! I glared, grinding my teeth as I contemplated what to do next. After Gohan I was the next strongest here, but he was too busy making sure Piccolo was ok.
 
“Learn from Piccolo's mistake” the android growled warningly, as though he had read my mind and knew I was contemplating an attack.
 
On the ground below I could feel Goku slowly slipping away, if I didn't do something soon it would be too late! I could still hear him crying out weakly.
 
“We need to do something you guys. Look! He's running out of time” Tien said fearfully.
 
I was about to speak when I felt something… new. A different energy was headed straight for Goku. As I looked back to where my uncle lay suffering, I saw who it was, Vegeta. He kicked the android clean off of Goku's body and was now standing triumphantly over the younger saiyan.
 
“Vegeta!” I was distracted by Piccolo's voice, who sat up quickly. It seemed he'd be ok, “So that's who it was”
 
“Piccolo, you're ok!” Gohan said, surprised.
 
“I admit, the move I made wasn't very smart but I wanted to help Goku out”
 
“It wasn't the android?”
 
“No, the android got a shot in but only after Vegeta interfered”
 
I turned back to the battle scene, hope filling me again. Vegeta had been one of Frieza's finest… well, I'm not sure what title he had. But I knew he was strong. And something about the way the saiyan was standing there, so… confident, made me sure there was something new about him.
 
“You're pitiful Kakarot, you were warned about the heart virus. Surely you should have figured out that turning into a super saiyan would only accelerate the process”
 
So that's what had happened!
 
“I'll finish these androids, but then you're next. Got it!?” He kicked Goku toward Piccolo, who caught him single-handedly and lowered him to the ground.
 
“One of you needs to take him home, right now, and give him them antidote. He's running out of time”
 
Where my sensitive ears deceiving me, or did Vegeta actually sound concerned? Voices carried many tell-tale tones which gave away true feelings, it was a little gift I'd discovered when I was a child. I could always tell when Shigeru was lying to me.
 
Yamcha picked up Goku's unconscious body, telling Gohan he'd be no help in the fight. I silently agreed, these humans were experienced warriors, but Yamcha was something of a coward. He took off into the air and headed towards the mountains. Our attention was turned once more to Vegeta and the androids.
 
“Yes, this is going to be very enjoyable!” declared the white haired android.
 
“It might be a good idea if we get out of here” Krillen said shakily, “Remember what the boy from the future said? Everybody except Gohan dies in the fight against the androids. I'm all for saving the Earth but the stage does seem set for us to die!”
 
“Yeah, but… if we leave right now, those two will probably go on a killing spree like back in the city. Do you really want that?” Gohan replied.
 
“Not for good! I just mean until Goku gets better-“
 
At that point Piccolo interrupted, “There's a chance things might not happen like the boy from the future said they would, so I say we act like we never heard his prophecy!”
 
Nobody replied, but nobody made any more suggestions to leave either. Krillen was gritting his teeth, obviously arguing with himself internally. I felt a pang of frustration at his fear, but I understood it. Krillen's heart was in the right place after all.
 
“I will finish Vegeta now, yes?” the android said calmly.
 
“You are being very greedy today, android nineteen. You have already absorbed enough energy have you not? But very well, you finish Vegeta but the others are mine, understood?”
 
The android smiled gleefully and turned to Vegeta, who looked merely amused.
 
“I was watching your fight with Kakarot so I am aware of your energy absorbing techniques”
 
The android laughed childishly, “I know all of your moves Vegeta, Dr Gero studied you very thoroughly”
 
“Oh, is that a fact? Then why were you so surprised when Kakarot turned into a super saiyan? Your bone-headed creator picked a fine chapter to emit from you memory banks!”
 
“Oh?”
 
Vegeta smirked, “That's right, tell me… does a machine like yourself ever experience fear!?” He balled his hands into fists at his sides, his feet were set firmly on the ground. I watched in fascination as he began to power up… but this wasn't normal. Instead of the usual flurry of light and energy… Vegeta's remained carefully controlled.
 
And then his hair turned a vivid gold…
 
“No way!” I cried, “I didn't know Vegeta was a super saiyan too!”
 
“I don't believe!” Krillen exclaimed
 
“Whoa… you know who joined the super saiyan club… he is on our side isn't he?” Gohan added.
 
“Whoa, I'm confused. I thought to be a super saiyan you had to be like Goku?”
 
Vegeta looked over at us all, his steely glare almost made me flinch, like he'd physically slapped me across the face. I could see all the power of his saiyan ancestors in his eyes… this must be a proud day for the prince of all saiyans!
 
He went on to explain how he had reached the level of super saiyan, his comment about leaving the distractions of Earth made me think of Bulma. Was he referring to her? Or to their son? Either way, I felt a sudden twinge of sympathy for the pair.
 
“…that's how I became a super saiyan, the sleeper has awakened! I am the Prince of all Saiyans once again!”
 
“Show us what you can do” I whispered as the second round began.
 
X
 
 
Disclaimer: I own no rights to the series Dragonball Z or its characters/places. Copyright to Akira Toriyama.