Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Dragonball Z: The Android Threat ❯ Chapter 5 ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Vegeta insisted that he go have the first day in the time chamber, which meant that Trunks would also be gone for another day. It's strange how I was feeling frustrated with him for no real reason and wanted nothing more then to be away from him to I could think clearly, but at the same time I wanted to just be around him… maybe try to talk to him and get rid of this new tension. Well the choice was taken out of my hands anyway when he entered the eerie white room, glancing back for only a second.
 
The door shut with a click that echoed in the empty halls, I turned my attention to Goku who had seated himself under a long archway in front of the door.
 
“So who goes in next?” I asked.
 
“I think Gohan and I should, you and Piccolo are strong but not as much as we are and we need the best of us out there as soon as possible. Besides, you're lacking in experience on the battle field so the more you can sit back and learn first the better I'll feel” he smiled gently.
 
I nodded in agreement, I had no problem admitting that I was nowhere near the level of the others. I was still unsure as to who was stronger between Piccolo and myself since he'd united with Kami and was more then aware that I still have a lot to learn. Unfortunately I was left to do nothing but sit and muse over the past few days' events for the next twenty four hours, and annoyingly my mind continued to wander back to a pair of haunted light blue eyes…
 
We'd been sat for about an hour or two when I gave up trying to meditate alongside Piccolo and grunted loudly, sprawling back on the surprisingly warm concrete.
 
“This is driving me crazy” I muttered.
 
“You're letting yourself be distracted Lani, focus on the matter at hand” Piccolo said firmly.
 
“I am!” I protested indignantly, my tail thumping hard on the ground.
 
“Trunks is not one of those matters”
 
I found myself incredibly relieved he was sat with his eyes shut and Goku and Gohan were several feet away as my face turned hot at his words.
 
“I hate when you read my mind… you know it's kinda rude, you should at least knock first or something” I said bitterly.
 
“I don't need my telepathy to notice the tension between the two of you earlier, just stay focused”
 
“Easy for you to say, you're asexual. No pretty green Namek women to distract you”
 
Piccolo smiled dryly at my tone, “I'll put this bluntly Lani, you're Goku's family which makes you important” I picked up on the unsaid `to me' part, “and I have no interest in your romantic endeavours… but think about what would happen if you pursue the course you are”
 
I frowned, “I'm not pursuing anything!”
 
“Then I recommend you keep it that way…”
 
“You know, you almost sound like a mother”
 
He opened his eyes and glared at me, I raised my hands innocently, “It was a compliment!”
 
He grunted and returned to his meditating, I stood up and stretched before heading over to where Gohan was standing, looking over my shoulder and calling back to Piccolo as I went, “And stay out of my head ok!”
 
I stood beside my ten year old cousin, taking my first good look at him in ages. It was hard to believe the seven year old who had taught me how to fly was now so grown up… so serious. I guess he always had more responsibility then I did, I was the only one at risk of being hurt when I was his age. He had much more too loose, at least that's the way it'd been up until recently.
 
“Hey kiddo” I smiled.
 
“Hi Lani. What were you and Piccolo talking about?”
 
“Just… stuff”
 
I'm an awful liar. I'd never honed that ability as much as my `run and hide' skills…
 
“Have you heard from your friend yet?” he questioned.
 
“Shigeru? No… I thought he might have been in touch since he knew when the androids would arrive, but maybe he's giving it some and he'll come back when they're gone”
 
Apparently the ability to lie to myself came under a different category, one which seems to have received more practice then I realised.
 
“Don't worry, he probably went back to his home and wants to catch up”
 
“He's had three years” I pointed out.
 
“Yeah, but when you've been away from the people you care about for a long time, three years can seem like three weeks…” he said softly, looking over at his father who was now imitating Piccolo as he meditated.
 
I just nodded silently, I didn't bother to tell him that in the fifteen years I'd spent with Shigeru he'd never mentioned having a family…
 
I spent another three hours trying to find something to keep my mind occupied, Gohan and I played a version of `hide and seek' used in training to hone sensing abilities, before Goku told us both to go and get some sleep. Mr Popo guided us to a room with a few single beds and a dining table, I wondered briefly why the lookout had a guest room when technically, only Mr Popo and the guardian of Earth were supposed to be up here, before I settled into the bed beside the window and watched as the sky outside changed from a golden orange colour (which for some reason reminded me of Goku) to purple and finally a star studded black before finally drifting into a light sleep.
 
X
 
I knew something was wrong the minute I woke up. Gohan was still fast asleep in the bed beside me but it seemed Piccolo and Goku had remained awake all night. I stood silently and crept to the open door.
 
“No, this can't be happening. Not yet, we're just not ready!” Goku was saying in a strained voice.
 
“The androids are at Kame House, Krillen and the others won't stand a chance against them” Piccolo replied, keeping his voice low.
 
“I thought they were after me?”
 
“They are… they want your location and they're going get it from your friends…”
 
I stepped out of the door and slowly made my way to the two men, stood side by side at the edge of the lookout, “What's going on?”
 
Piccolo didn't even flinch, but Goku's head snapped round at my voice.
 
“Lani, you should be resting”
 
“I've got plenty of time `till I have to train, what was that about the androids?”
 
There was a tense silence for a few moments as Goku gazed down at the Earth before replying, “They're at Master Roshi's, and about to fight with Krillen, Tien and Yamcha… and there's nothing we can do to help them…”
 
I scoffed, placing my hands on my hips in a very Chi Chi like manner, “Hell there isn't! Let's get down there and stop them!”
 
“We can't! We need the time to train, I don't want them knowing where we are and coming up here”
 
I turned to Piccolo, “So you're just going to stand there and watch too?”
 
He didn't reply, I looked out at the now bright blue sky and exhaled loudly. There was no way I could just hide away up here and let people I'd come to care about get into a fight that they stood no chance of winning, not when they were doing it to keep us hidden.
 
“I'm going down there to help” I said resolutely.
 
“No you're not Lani, stay up here and wait your turn” Goku was using his stern voice, it was rare to hear and although I knew if he wanted to stop me it'd be only too easy, I looked back at him defiantly.
 
“You and Gohan still have too train, and Trunks and Vegeta won't be out for another few hours. I can hold them off long enough for them to come out, then they can destroy the androids before Cell gets his hands on them”
 
Goku looked at me uneasily, “You think you can last a few hours against them?”
 
“Maybe, probably not. But I know I'd last longer then your friends down there, we need the time Goku”
 
“She's right” Piccolo finally spoke up, “But you're not going alone. I'll come with you”
 
“Piccolo-” Goku began.
 
“No. The only people here with a chance of defeating any of the androids are in you, your son, Vegeta and Trunks. The least we can do is buy you the time you need to get strong enough to destroy them”
 
“See Goku, even Piccolo agrees with me. That never happens” I watched as my uncle fought an inner battle, clenching his fists tightly and looking down on the Earth below, “Goku, if I were Krillen or Trunks or something, you'd let me do this wouldn't you. You know we're right, this is the only way”
 
He sighed, “You're as stubborn as my wife! Ok… it's the best plan we've got. But put off the fighting as long as you can, I want you to stay alive… both of you”.
 
I nodded and smiled as brightly as I could, “Don't worry, if things get dicey I'll leave Piccolo to deal with it”
 
Goku laughed, “Good luck you guys”
 
“Just make sure you get strong enough when you train Goku, don't let us down” Piccolo said.
 
“Yeah, our gruesome death's better not be for nothing” I grimaced and gave a small salute as I took off into the air, closely followed by Piccolo.
 
This is a dangerous plan Lani Piccolo's voice invaded my mind.
 
“What did I tell you about knocking!”
 
“You realise this fight could end badly for our side…”
 
“Yeah, but if it buys the others the time they need to finish this then it'll be worth it”
 
There was only silence as a reply, I chose to believe that that meant he agreed.
 
X
 
The fight was to take place on an island a few miles from Kame house, we rocketed through the sky towards our friends Ki signals, trying to get there before any of them had to fight. Piccolo remained silent at my side. I willed myself to ignore the rising dread as much as possible and began to psych myself up for the impending battle. I felt the familiar rush of hot blood in my gut as we landed on the grassy isle and looked down upon the three androids. This was the first time I'd actually seen them, and they looked completely different from Android Nineteen and Dr Gero. Sat on a small rock was a young blonde girl, fiddling with her necklace lazily. I assumed she was Android Eighteen, the only female android so far. Behind her was a very large redheaded man with heavy green armour, he looked like he could be trouble. But stood in front of them both was Android Seventeen. I swallowed nervously; he had an aura about him unlike the other two, it seemed he was the leader of the group. He stood with confidence and a slight arrogance that reminded me of Vegeta… a younger, sexier Vegeta…
 
“Whoa Lani, evil guy equals bad” I thought, praying Piccolo was staying out of my head.
 
“Let's go!” He commanded.
 
I followed as he flew down and landed in front of the androids, standing between them and our friends.
 
“Lani! Piccolo! What are you doing here?”
 
“We'll handle this Krillen, is anyone hurt?” I asked.
 
“No, we haven't fought yet. They want to know where Goku is…”
 
I looked over to Android Seventeen who was looking me up and down in a way that made me very uncomfortable.
 
“I don't have any data on this one, you think she and the purple haired kid are linked?” he asked the blonde android, who shrugged indifferently.
 
“Just kill them already, I'm bored”
 
Their voices were so cold and empty; I started to understand why Trunks had been so afraid of them. Just looking into their eyes made me shiver.
 
“No one is going to die today, at least no one made of flesh and bone” Piccolo growled.
 
“Maybe you guys should get out of here” I whispered to Krillen.
 
“No, let them stay” the boys chilling voice cut across, “After all, the more the merrier in this little game” he smirked.
 
“This is no game. Listen to me, there's something very important that you don't know about Dr Gero” Piccolo said loudly.
 
“Oh?” the android raised one eyebrow with interest, “And what's that?”
 
“He created another android named Cell, but this one is unlike any of you. He wants to absorb you in order to make himself stronger!”
 
I stared at Piccolo, “What are you doing?” I hissed.
 
“And why are you telling me this?” the android asked lazily, “If anyone shows up to fight us then we can handle it. No one on this planet is stronger then we are. I, myself, was created as the perfect fighting machine”
 
“No, I don't think you'd stand a chance against Cell. Don't get me wrong, I don't care what happens to any of you, but I don't want Cell absorbing you and reaching his final form”
 
“So you've come here to warn us?” Seventeen crossed his arms and smirked, “How very noble”
 
“No, not to warn you. We're going to destroy you before Cell can track you down”
 
The android laughed loudly, “You? How amusing. You intend to stop us with three weakling humans and a girl?”
 
I glared darkly, a new determination to teach this jerk a lesson taking over my thoughts. It seemed Piccolo was up for a fight too, as he removed his cloak and weighted turban, never removing his eyes from the android.
 
“You really intend to fight me? Well, it's your funeral. Though if you just told us where Goku is it'd save us all a lot of trouble. We may even let you live… for a while”
 
“How are we going to do this Piccolo?” I asked.
 
“He's mine, you keep an eye on the other two and if you sense Cell approach… you know what to do”
 
“Hey guys! Hold on a second!” Krillen said quickly, “Before the androids turned up at Master Roshi's we got a call from Bulma. She's made a replica of the remote Dr Gero was using to shut down those two!”
 
“She did? Well where is it?” I demanded.
 
“She was on her way over here… but that might take about an hour”
 
“You three should go and meet her, it'll be a lot quicker that way. Meanwhile Lani and I can handle this” Piccolo instructed, stretching his muscles.
 
“You really think that's a good idea, maybe we should stay” Tien said anxiously.
 
“If you stay you'd just get in the way, we need to fight without worrying that you'll get hurt. Besides, the androids might just take advantage of that”
 
The three men looked at each other and nodded, “Ok, we'll be back as soon as we get the remote” Yamcha said.
 
“Are you just going to stand there and talk or are we fighting?” the android called over impatiently tapping his foot on the ground.
 
“You'll get your fight, but these three have nothing to do with it. They're leaving”
 
He shrugged, “It doesn't matter, we'll find them again easily enough”
 
“Not if you're no more then a pile of scrap metal” I said under my breath.
 
“So who gets to go first?”
 
Piccolo stepped forward, falling into his fighting stance. Both hands held up to guard, one leg stretched out before the other.
 
“Lani, you stay back unless thing's don't go well”
 
“Right” I nodded, curling my tail around my waist, “Shouldn't I try and take out one of the others?”
 
“No, we need this fight to last until Trunks and Vegeta get here. So if I go down you need to take my place, I'll try to last as long as I can”
 
“Good luck” I said gently before lifting into the air and seating myself on the edge of a nearby cliff where I could have full view of the island. Oddly, the knowledge that I could very well be preparing to watch him die didn't occur to me, because I wouldn't let that happen.
 
Glancing up at the sun, I could tell from its slight position in the western side of the sky that it was gone midday. That meant Trunks and Vegeta had another six hours in the chamber left. This was going to be the longest afternoon of my life.
 
X
 
The fight was intense, but my fears were soon lost when Piccolo beat the android down in the first round. I watched with baited breath whilst keeping an eye on the other two androids for a reaction, just in case they decided to attack Piccolo while his back was turned. However, they remained motionless as Seventeen picked himself and prepared to attack once more, leaving me feeling partially relieved but also nervous. They didn't seem worried at all; did that mean that Seventeen wasn't even using his full potential yet?
 
Piccolo aimed a blast directly at his opponent who was standing on shaky legs, my eyes widened at the enormity of it, I was going to have to move, and quickly! Piccolo released the attack just as I jumped into the air, followed by earth and dust that was thrown upwards at the impact. I searched the ground below me quickly, Seventeen had flown upwards to avoid the blast as well, but the other two were still sitting calmly.
 
“Nice shooting” I heard the android call, “But not quite nice enough”
 
The two charged at each other once more, resuming their fight in the air. They were locked in a flurry of kicks and punches before the android disappeared from view, only to reappear in the air a few feet away, dangling upside down mockingly. Piccolo aimed a `scattershot' at him, which was easily dodged, and proceeded to send a flood of gleaming yellow attacks his way, once again Seventeen dodged them all with ease and even deflected Piccolo's Kiason attack.
 
I watched as the pair charged each other before meeting over the sea, causing a huge wave to ascend into the air with the force of their colliding energies. When the water returned to the ground the two were floating before one another, ready to start once again. From below I heard Eighteen call to her companion.
 
“Come on, let's go! Finish him off! If you can't do it then maybe you should let someone who can… like me!”
 
“Stay out of this, can't you see I'm just trying to have some fun!” the dark haired boy turned back to Piccolo and they spoke words even my hearing couldn't quite make out, within seconds they'd resumed their battle and Piccolo was aiming a Masenko attack at the android, followed by another flood of blasts.
 
“What are you doing?” I said in confusion as he sent at least another hundred at the android, all of them missing easily. It wasn't until Piccolo stopped that I realised what his motive had been, Seventeen was now surrounded by attacks. This time I heard Piccolo's words as he mocked the android.
 
“You never expected a controlled `scattershot' did you? Your reign of terror ends today!”
 
With that he focused every hovering blast at Seventeen in one move, filling the sky with blinding white light and thunderous crashing roars. No one could be left standing after an intense attack like that! There was no way the android was still in once piece!
 
I was wrong.
 
Amidst the dust and smoke I could see the shadow of the young man. He'd survived, and around him was a buzzing green force field.
 
“Unbelievable!” I gasped.
 
Piccolo was motionless in the air, I had to admire his ability to remain as calm as ever in a situation like this. Seventeen was speaking and motioning towards a nearby island that was still intact, proceeding to fly towards it and land. The rest of us followed suit, I landed beside my former trainer whilst they stood silently behind Seventeen who was currently wiping his mouth on his sleeve.
 
“It's a shame that you insist on getting in our way. Our mission has nothing to do with you. It's Goku that we're after; terminating your life is not something that we wish to do. It doesn't make sense for you to die out here in the middle of nowhere when we have no interest in killing you! Why don't you just tell us where Goku is and then leave unharmed, it's the most logical thing to do”
 
I remained silent as Piccolo answered.
 
“Well, soon you'll realise that the people of this planet aren't logical at all. Funny thing is… they've rubbed off on me”
 
“Fine. I'll make you tell us where he is! How's that sound?” He bent his legs and put up his guard, smirking at us wickedly, “Bad move” he said as Piccolo also opted into fighting stance, “But at least you're not boring. After all, I rather enjoy not adhering to logic”
 
He floated into the air and moved towards us, almost ghostlike. He dropped mere inches from Piccolo and the pair entered a stand off before Piccolo's power generated around him in an eerie white aura. But in one sudden movement, Seventeen hit him clean in the face and sent Piccolo flying back several feet, rendering him unconscious.
 
“Piccolo!” I cried, turning my back on the androids to reach my fallen friend.
 
Big mistake.
 
I felt a hand close tightly around my arm and pull me backwards, I spun with the force of it and was met with Seventeen's smirking face.
 
“Oh dear, now who's going to protect you?” he mocked.
 
I growled inwardly, this guy really needed his ass kicked, “I think you just made mistake number one”
 
He raised his eyebrows, his hand tightening even more but I refused to flinch, “Oh?”
 
“Uh huh, never underestimate your opponent!” with that I unwrapped my tail from my waist, swinging it forwards between my legs and up to meet the android between his. Thankfully, even as an android he shared the same weakness as all men.
 
He doubled over in pain, releasing my arm in shock. The blonde android laughed loudly whilst the redhead remained stoic. I didn't give Seventeen time to recover, I lifted my leg and forced it into his face, sending him flying back over the heads of his friends and into a mountain, causing it to collapse on top of him.
 
I grit my teeth and fell into defensive position. My right leg lightly on the ground behind me with my left firmly set firmly in front, both arms raised to block. I wrapped my tail around my waist again; making sure it was out of reach.
 
My eyes searched the rubble left from the impact, waiting to see movement. But none came.
 
“Shit, he's out of sight and I can't sense him” My thoughts were panicked, there was my first mistake. I glanced back to see if Piccolo was Ok. It looked like luck was on my side, as right at that moment the android jumped from underground to attack me from behind. Yet I was unbalanced as I was poised for an attack from the front, so I spun as best I could to block his punch before arching my back as far as possible to avoid his kick. I had to get some distance between us to get back in control. In one solid movement I flipped my entire body backwards, catching the android as I went, and flung him onto the ground hard behind me. I landed easily, breathing deeply as I tried to think of a plan. Piccolo was still unconscious and if the other two joined in I would be easily outmatched. But this wasn't about winning; it was about buying the others time. I guessed we'd only been here about forty five minutes so far. Where were the others with that remote? If I could just keep them distracted we'd be able to deactivate them!
 
“You're good for such a skinny little thing” He was standing again, casually dusting himself off as he watched me, “I'll admit that was a surprise, I didn't expect you to have so much power. Tell me, why do you have a tail?”
 
Think Lani… keep him talking!
 
“Family heirloom” I said sarcastically, my body on constant alert for another sneak attack.
 
“It's odd. You see, our databases tell us Goku had a tail when he was a child… are you trying to say you're his daughter?”
 
I laughed, “Not quite, but we're blood”
 
“Isn't that interesting Eighteen” he called over his shoulder.
 
“Whatever, do you need me to take care of this or what? Why not finish off the green guy?”
 
I fixed her with a fierce look, “Don't even think about it!”
 
“Oh look, I think you've made her angry Eighteen” he sniggered before turning his attention back to me, “Look, I'll give you the same chance as Piccolo. Tell us where Goku is and we'll let you go, if you don't… we'll kill your friend first and then you”
 
“Not a chance” I spoke through gritted teeth, it looked like my time was running short.
 
“Then I guess I'll have to beat it out of you!”
 
He came at me suddenly, landing a hard punch in my gut. I bent double at the sharp pain but soon straightened out so I could throw another his way. He grabbed my fist and forced it to my side, pulling my body forwards at the same time with intent to head-butt me. I used the force of his pull against him as I leant my head back, out of reach and lifted my knee into his stomach. Whilst he spluttered curses incoherently I formed a small, red ball of energy in my fist and release next to his chest, forcing him away from me like I'd done to Cell in our earlier encounter.
 
I was surprised at how… easy the fight felt. Not that I wasn't still reeling from the sharp pains in my abdomen, but every attack and counter attack was coming to me like second nature. I followed the android as he spun in the air and corrected himself, catching the look of surprise on his face before landing my fist on his side, forcing him to hit the ground and create several long cracks in it.
 
Somewhere within me I could feel a stir, unlike anything I felt when I got the rush of adrenaline during a spar. Perhaps this was because I knew there was a good chance I could end up dead. But if I paced myself and didn't overdo it then I might be able to keep his attention away from Piccolo.
 
“You can't keep this up, can you girly?” the android spat out, “You'll tire out. You're no more then flesh and bone!”
 
“So were you once” I retorted.
 
Whoops. I think I hit a nerve.
 
He flew at me so fast I didn't even have time to widen my eyes with shock. He hit me square in the chest and sent me rocketing into the water. What's worse, he'd knocked all the breath from me with that punch. If I didn't pull it together I'd drown, what a way to die! A ripple in the water told me he'd followed. I focused all my energy into my hands, my left in front of my right, and created another blast. Only this one was electric blue in colour, and I knew it made one hell of an impact.
 
“Hiragana!”
 
The words escaped my lips, creating a small mass of bubbles. The shot stretched out from my hands towards the android who had been sinking down towards me. It hit him dead on, lifting him from the water and forcing him up into the sky before disappearing.
 
I collected my energy around me and flew upwards out of the water, landing on another grassy island. I took the chance to feel out Piccolo's energy, he was still alive thankfully. But the sooner he woke up the better.
 
Seventeen landed in front of me moments later, looking very angry.
 
“You think you have power?” he snarled, “Well, let me show you what we can really-”
 
“Wait!” I cried out, suddenly filled with alarm..,
 
“Wait? I'm going to crush you like a bug!”
 
It was ironic that he should use such an expression, as right at that moment I felt something terrible. And it was headed this way.
 
“Cell…” I gasped.
 
No, he wasn't headed this way…
 
He was already here.
 
“Damn it Piccolo, wake up!” I yelled in frustration.
 
“If you're trying to distract me it's not going to work”
 
I scowled at android, “Shut up and listen to me, we have to get out of here. Cell is already searching these islands, he knows you're here!” I suppressed my power as I explained to the confused looking boy, “Don't you understand? If you get absorbed by Cell you'll be as good as dead. Is that what you want?”
 
He stared at me, clearly puzzled, “What are you talking about?”
 
“The monster that Dr Gero created to be the perfect being by absorbing you, he's close and he'll find you if you don't get a move on now!”
 
Seventeen placed his hands on his hips and laughed loudly, “Ha! Me? Run away? No chance! There's no way this Cell can be stronger then me”
 
I groaned loudly, “What is it with you men and your petty arrogance? Just accept what I'm saying and get out of here! You're future is not the only one at stake!”
 
“It's too late Lani”
 
A deep voice behind me made me start.
 
“Piccolo, you're ok!” I breathed.
 
He nodded, rubbing his jaw gingerly as he spoke to the androids, “Everything she said is true, the android I told you about is here. But she's wrong about one thing… It's already too late. He's here”
 
His eyes moved to the left, my own followed his line of sight and my breath caught in my chest. He was right; Cell was stood lazily on a rock, watching us all with amusement.
 
“I owe you all a great deal of thanks, tracking the androids down would have been a great deal harder if I didn't have your energies to follow” he cackled.
 
Damn it, our eagerness to help may very well have doomed any chance of saving the Earth.
 
“What do we do now Piccolo?” I whispered.
 
He simply shook his head at me, “I don't think there's anything we can do…”
 
X
 
 
Disclaimer: I own no rights to the series Dragonball Z or its characters/places. Copyright to Akira Toriyama.