Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Dragonball Z: The Android Threat ❯ Chapter 8 ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I was sitting in Bulma's private laboratory with Trunks at my side, his hand firmly clasping my own. He'd insisted I didn't go through having to watch Shigeru's final words to me alone, and I was grateful for it. I never liked asking for help, but Trunks seemed to understand just how I was feeling.
 
My friend's face appeared on the screen, heavily distorted but visible nonetheless.
 
“…make sure… gets to Lani… trapped in a meteor storm… too much damage… tell her…”
 
I replayed the recording over and over, but those were the only words I could make out. Trunks remained silent at my side and waited patiently when I replayed the footage for the seventh time.
 
“Trunks, he never says that he thinks he's going to die in the storm” I point out.
 
“My mother's traced the beacon in the ship he was given. It's disappeared Lani…”
 
“But… maybe he crashed somewhere, and the ship is just broken… he could be stranded”
 
Trunks didn't reply, he knew I was clutching at straws as much as I did. Every time the tape cut off after he said `tell her' I waited patiently till the screen turned black. Half expecting him to pop up laughing and telling me it was a prank.
 
“What do you think he wanted to tell me?” my voice was hollow where my throat was sore from crying. He looked so calm in the recording, he didn't seem to be a man about to face a lonely death on cold space. I had seen what happens when people were thrown off ship… it was not pretty.
 
“He probably wanted you to know what happened to him, so you didn't feel abandoned”
 
My throat closed painfully as I tried to breathe. Guilt swamped me, I had thought he'd abandoned me. Not once did it cross my mind that he needed my help. Was I so untrusting? So self-absorbed that I couldn't see past my own needs?
 
“Hey” Trunks spoke softly, nudging my hand to get my attention, “Don't feel guilty. No one could have known this would happen”
 
“The last time I saw him was so quick, and I cried. He hates it when I cry”
 
Right on time I felt a fresh batch of tears well up, but this time I let them fall silently down my cheeks as I rested my head on Trunks' shoulder. His arm wound it's way around my shoulder and he rested his head on the top of mine.
 
“I think he'd understand”
 
X
 
Bulma had agreed to try and trace the last position of Shigeru's ship before the signal had been lost. Though it was no easy feat, she worked tirelessly as she checked her computer's memories. Apparently it had been pure luck that she'd been routinely scanning frequencies when she picked up on Shigeru's message. It had been sent rather hastily and so he hadn't used one of the more common lines of communication. I didn't tell her that I was hoping she'd be able to see if there were any planets nearby that he could have landed on, that was a hope too early to verbalise to anyone else. I couldn't stand to see the look of pity of her face again when she told me she either couldn't find his last location or any neighbouring planets.
 
Trunks and I returned to Kami's Lookout later that day, and while he did some light training as we waited for Goku and Gohan to come out of the chamber, my mind kept forming images of my old friend sitting on the beach of some gorgeous planet, next to the wreckage of his spaceship while he waited for rescue. Honestly, I could just imagine his reaction when I turned up to save him, `Lani! Here have a margarita!'. I doubted he'd have margarita's but Bulma's mother had made me one once and now I was quite addicted to them. Not that Chi Chi knew of course.
 
“Mr Popo, how much longer are they going to be?” I questioned.
 
“They have at least four more hours left” he informed me.
 
I sighed, standing from my seat on the steps leading to the buildings entrance and made my way over to Piccolo who was leaning against a nearby pillar.
 
“Can I ask you something?”
 
He nodded.
 
“How strong am I, compare to the rest of you?”
 
He tore his eyes from whatever he'd been staring at to look at me, “You're doubting your abilities?”
 
“I'm doubting the usefulness of me going in there to train” I said with a nod at the chamber.
 
He thought for several moments before answering, “Your saiyan heritage gives you the advantage over any human. But you've reached a barrier stopping you from reaching you're true potential”
 
“How can you tell what my true potential is?” I frowned.
 
“I can't. Nor can Goku, which is why we've been reluctant to push you any further”
 
I gaped at his revelation, “What's that supposed to mean?”
 
“You aren't… stable”
 
“Are you trying to say I'm nuts or something?”
 
Piccolo grunted uncomfortably, “I'm saying that… you haven't mastered full control of your consciousness yet”
 
Something told me he wasn't being entirely honest. How I wished I could dive into his mind like he constantly did with me.
 
“And you can tell because of your little trips into my head right?”
 
He nodded. Well he wasn't honest but he was blunt!
 
“So what'll happen when they get out?”
 
“Trunks and Vegeta are eager to train again, I expect Gohan and Goku will re-enter when we tell them about the Cell Games. As for me… let's wait and see what Goku makes of all this”
 
“But he said he wanted you and me to go in, didn't he?”
 
“That was before Cell reached his final form. Everything's different now”
 
After standing in silence for a few moments and watching Trunks power down from Super Saiyan I began to walk back to my previous seat. That is until Piccolo stopped me.
 
“Lani. You need to accept his death”
 
I sighed tiredly, there was no use lying to Piccolo. He'd just search my thoughts anyway, “Not until I've made sure Shigeru's gone. It's a shame the dragonballs are gone now, it would have made things much simpler”
 
“People could die in this tournament Lani, you need to be prepared for that”
 
“I am!” I insisted.
 
“Trunks could die”
 
I clenched my jaw as I tried not to react to his words, “I know. I'm ready”
 
Damn Piccolo's telepathy. He fixed me with a knowing stare that made me shrivel inside, like I'd been caught with my hand in the cookie jar, “Gohan could die too” I said simply, catching him off-guard as he flinched at my words, “See, not so easy is it”
 
Thankfully, Vegeta chose that moment to land not to far from us and begin demanding Kakarot came out of this chamber so he could have his turn. I rolled my eyes, some thing's never change.
 
X
 
Three more hours to go…
 
Below us the inhabitants of Earth were fleeing the cities and villages, mainly heading for the shelter of the mountains. Unfortunately they were unaware that they may as well remain in the comfort of their own homes, as Cell would surely find them all eventually. Especially if we lost the tournament.
 
Vegeta and Piccolo were bickering over something or other, apparently Vegeta wanted to send the remaining time left to train non-stop in the chamber. But as Piccolo revealed, it was only possible to spent forty-eight hours in the chamber until it closed off.
 
I was lazily pulling my long hair back into a messy ponytail when I felt it. Two new energies had joined us, but they were coming from the chamber, “It can't be… they have another three hours left!”
 
Sure enough the sound of footsteps soon reached our ears, followed by a familiar voice.
 
“I told you Gohan, I thought I could sense the others up here. But I can still sense Cell too… and he seems a lot stronger”
 
My uncle and cousin stepped into the harsh daylight, revealing torn and burnt skin and clothing.
 
“So is someone going to fill us in on what's been happening?” Goku asked, “But er.. before you do, do you have anything to eat Mr Popo?”
 
I smiled, “Nice to see you haven't changed”
 
Or maybe not so nice. After witnessing the pair down bowl after bowl of rice, meat and spaghetti I found myself wishing they'd spend a year working on their table manners!
 
“Wasn't there enough food in the time chamber?” I asked with raised eyebrows.
 
Goku swallowed noisily, “Oh yeah, but it as it turns out neither Gohan or I can cook! I asked Gohan to light me up a roast beef, and ended up with my hair on fire!” he laughed.
 
“So that's why Chi Chi banned you from the kitchen” I grinned.
 
“Why don't you tell us what's been happening then?”
 
Trunks relayed the story of the fight against and Cell and the upcoming tournament. I cast him a grateful look when he left out the part about Shigeru's death, I could let Goku know in private… and when I was ready to talk about it. For now, we had to concentrate on forming a plan to take out Cell.
 
Once the pair had changed their ruined clothing Vegeta stepped forward, “Ok Kakarot, do you think you can defeat Cell now?” I noticed the sarcastic tone and glared at the back of his head.
 
“I don't know yet, I'll have to go check him out”
 
Goku placed to fingers to his forehead and disappeared in an instant, part of me marvelled at the sheer audacity he had to make a drop in on the monster without a seconds hesitation. Though I was soon distracted as the sky above me turned a dark shade of blue, the clouds themselves seemed to flee as bolts of lightening thundered above me.
 
“Is Goku doing that?” I gasped.
 
We all stared dumbly at the sky, even Vegeta looked a little nervous. But just as suddenly as it had grown dark it faded back to it's usual light blue and Goku reappeared once more on front of us.
 
“Well?” Piccolo questioned.
 
Goku scratched his head and smiled, “I don't know. But if I had to say, well I think he's probably thrash me!”
 
I stared as he burst out laughing, had he knocked his head in there or something. He's practically just told us the Earth was doomed, and yet he was behaving like a kid at the circus.
 
“So what do we do know?” Trunks asked.
 
“We still have time to train. Goku, you and Gohan can re-enter after Vegeta, Trunks and I have each had our turn”
 
“What about Lani, don't you want to go in?” my uncle frowned.
 
“I don't think it's such a good idea” Piccolo answered before I could speak.
 
“Hey!” I said indignantly, “Why not?”
 
Piccolo didn't reply, but fixed Goku with a look that told me he was sending him a telepathic message. My tail whipped out behind me and flicked to and fro, a tell tale sign that I was very ticked off, “I'm stood right here!”
 
Goku turned to me with a mixture of a kindness and… something unidentifiable in his eyes.
 
“I think Piccolo's right, this might not be the best time for you to put yourself through something like that”
 
I turned to Trunks, expecting him to jump to my defence. But my mouth snapped shut when I noticed he was looking at the ground sheepishly.
 
“Do you agree?” I asked.
 
He nodded, clearly uncomfortable. However I decided to just shrug it off and smile at my uncle, “You're the boss”
 
All three men shared a look which they obviously thought I'd missed, Vegeta looked at agitated as usual and Gohan was gaping at his father with confusion.
 
“Oh before I forget. Gohan and I won't be going in again, so you three don't have to worry about rushing ok” Goku said calmly.
 
“What?” cried Piccolo, “You just said you can't defeat Cell, another year's training is the only-”
 
“It's not the only chance Piccolo. But Gohan and I can train outside” he insisted.
 
I crossed my arms across my chest and glowered, “You're hiding something”
 
Goku only smiled and nodded. How I hated being kept in the dark, and it seemed there were quite a few thing's I wasn't being told about right now.
 
“I'm going to take Gohan and Chi Chi home Lani, did you want to come?”
 
I shook my head, “No, I think I'll go and see Bulma for a while”
 
“Ok, well see you later”
 
Goku held his son firmly by the shoulders and they both waved goodbye as they disappeared.
 
“Well Piccolo, get in there, you're wasting time!” Vegeta shouted impatiently.
 
I rolled my eyes and looked at Trunks. With a nod of the head I indicated for him to follow me as I made my way to the edge of the Lookout. He did so silently.
 
“Do you know what's going on?” I hissed once we were out of earshot.
 
“What? No!”
 
I fixed him with my most dangerous look, “You wouldn't lie to me would you?”
 
“Lani, I just don't think your ready for this level of training. I don't know what Piccolo was telling Goku”
 
“So you think there's something going on too?” I said quickly.
 
He frowned as at my words, “I think they care about you. Stop being so suspicious”
 
I exhaled noisily via my nose, “When are you going in?”
 
“After my father. I doubt he'll let me train with him this time since we have so much time now”
 
My eyes softened as I saw his face fall, his eyes filling with sadness. I reached out and gripped his arm tightly, “That gives you two days. Come find me ok” I smiled.
 
“Yeah. Nine days… maybe we don't have so much time”
 
I caught the double meaning in his words and pulled my arms back slowly, “Best make the most of it”.
 
It was an empty promise, we both knew nothing we truly wanted to experience was going to happen. His friendship was the best I could settle for, and that was just the way thing's had to be.
 
X
 
The days had come and gone, with no visit from a certain purple haired young man. I was sat on the roof of the Son household, grinding a tulip between my hands. Now I have nothing against tulips, in fact they're my favourite flower, but this poor plant was feeling the brunt of my frustration. My fingers were stained yellow and green by the time the sun had set, I stared down at my fingertips and noticed how it almost look like the flower was bleeding. I threw it onto the floor in front of me.
 
“Hey! I'm being attacked by plants”
 
Goku hovered up and into my sight, smiling brightly as he plucked the offending item from his hair.
 
“Sorry” I muttered.
 
“You've been up here all day, what's wrong?”
 
I drew my legs up to my chest and shrugged, causing Goku to sit down beside me with the familiar look of concern in his eyes. My wind flashed back to a few days ago, when Trunks had been sat beside me in this very spot.
 
“You shouldn't hide away from everyone, it's your birthday tomorrow, you should be having fun”
 
“I don't feel like it”
 
“You're sad about your friend?”
 
I didn't reply. I was more then sad, in fact I was growing more and more agitated as the days went by. When I'd visited Bulma she'd still not been able to find anything, it was like Shigeru had just disappeared!
 
“It's not really my birthday though it is, I mean I'm never going to truly now when I was born or even how old I really am” my voice was steady with a false calm. I'd been drifting in and out of states of numbness and anger all day and now I was beginning to feel exhausted. All I wanted was to curl up and sleep the next few days away.
 
“I think… if you have people around you who care about you, then it doesn't really matter if you don't celebrate your birthday on the exact day you were born”
 
Goku always looked at thing's with the most simple mind, yet I knew he was only trying to help so I couldn't get mad at him.
 
“Birthday's are a celebration of the years you've spent with the one's you love, and the years to come”
 
I nodded silently and slid my hands up and down my legs in a comforting motion. Oddly his words didn't seem to hold much meaning to me, was Trunks right when he had said I was dead inside?
 
“I guess you and I haven't had the chance to spend much time together recently”
 
My eyes wandered to his as he spoke and I tried to smile lightly, “You've been busy, what with almost dying and training…”
 
“I shouldn't let those thing's distract me from my family, even though Chi Chi says I've always been that way”
 
“She misses you when you're gone. It can get pretty lonely you know”
 
I suddenly felt a change in the atmosphere between us. The tension that I hadn't even been aware of seemed to disappear as Goku shrugged off his orange and white jacket and slid it over my shoulders.
 
“I'm going back inside to get some sleep” he told me, “I guess you'll be out here for a while; don't want you to get cold”
 
He jumped and landed lightly on the ground, turning back to wave before going inside. I felt the words slip from my mouth before I was aware they were even in my mind.
 
“I missed you too you know”
 
Goku smiled warmly, “When this is over we'll all spend some proper time together, as a family. Chi Chi's always wanted to go on vacation…”
 
“Good night Goku”
 
I remained on top of the house into the early hours of the morning, the party wasn't until late afternoon so I could just sleep through lunch. The stars began to fade and I could see a trace of light blue appear on the horizon by the time I finally slipped into my room via the window. I slid Goku's jacket off and placed it carefully over the chair by my desk and climbed into bed with a satisfied sigh. I kept my window wide open while I lay there, and tried my best to do the same with my eyes as I watched the sun rising. My room had the best view of the eastern sky, but tiredness won out and I fell into a comfortable sleep.
 
X
 
There were a pair of arms wrapped around my stomach. My eyes blinked open wearily and I looked around the room. It was dark, which was strange since I was sure the sun was rising when I'd gone to sleep. Had Chi Chi let me sleep through my birthday?
 
I felt a twitch behind me, the warmth of another body pressed into mine. My head twisted quickly to see who it was that had let themselves into my bed. A mop of purple hair was poking out from under the covers.
 
“Trunks?”
 
Blue eyes cracked open tiredly, “Happy Birthday Lani”
 
“What are you doing in my bed?”
 
“You told me to come see you”
 
“During the day! What if Chi Chi came in and saw us”
 
Trunks removed his arm from my waist and sat up abruptly, “What's your problem?”
 
I gaped at him, “What? You're the one that snuck in to my bedroom!”
 
His brow bent into a frown, “Your bedroom?”
 
Now I was thoroughly confused. Of course I was in my bedroom, what was he talking about? But as I looked around my stomach fell. The warm peach walls were now hard, cold grey. No… they were metal. And my window had disappeared! Suddenly the familiar sound of a spaceships engine could be heard in the distance. How had my bed gotten onto a spaceship? What was going on?
 
I spun around to question Trunks about what was happening, but what I saw where he had been laying made me scream with terror.
 
Trunks was gone; and in his place was Shigeru, staring up at me with lifeless ice blue eyes. His skin was a disgusting shade of green and purple and was pulled tight across his features, making his eyes bulge from his face.
 
“Lani! Wake up!”
 
He was talking! His voice was distant and unclear, as though speaking to me underwater.
 
“It's a dream, wake up Lani! It's me Gohan!”
 
My eyes snapped open and I flew upright, clutching the covers to my sweat covered body. It took me a few moments to adjust to the warm well lit room and I jumped when my cousin moved beside me.
 
“Lani…?”
 
My eyes watered as the memory of my friends disfigured body crept into my mind, and with one large sob tears began to run down my cheeks.
 
I felt Gohan shift on the bed, and place one short arm firmly on my back. The other pulled me against him and I let my head fall onto his shoulder.
 
“It was only a nightmare…” he said soothingly.
 
I could only choke out another sob, words were lost to me as I let myself be comforted by the young boy.
 
X
 
It five in the afternoon, Goku and Chi Chi had returned from a last minute shopping trip a few hours ago (how they shopped when everyone was hiding I don't know), currently Goku and Gohan were putting the finishing touches to the decorations in the living room and Chi Chi had taken me upstairs for `a special surprise'. Lying on the bed was a package wrapped in black tissue paper and a golden ribbon.
 
“Happy Birthday!” Chi Chi beamed, “It's an early present”
 
I smiled, presents were one of the best thing's about birthdays. That and the cake.
 
I accepted the package eagerly but made sure to carefully remove the ribbon and wrapping, knowing that tearing into these things carelessly was one of Chi Chi's biggest pet peeves. I split one side open with my finger and slid a neat bundle of cloth onto the bed. Chi Chi stepped forward and gently lifted It into the air, presenting it to me with a smile.
 
“Isn't it beautiful! It's traditional to buy a special Kimono for the women in my family on their nineteenth birthday. I spent weeks modifying it for you though, to make it a little more…in style.”
 
I grinned widely. It was deep red, obviously chosen to match my hair and eyes, with golden butterflies embroidered into the silk. It wasn't as heavy as the sort Chi Chi usually wore, in fact it almost looked like a normal dress except for the high collar, though Chi Chi had shortened the sleeves to reach just over my shoulders where they hung loosely.
 
“Well, don't just stand there smiling at it. Try it on!”
 
Ten minutes later I was stood in front of Chi Chi's long bedroom mirror as she began to tear-up behind me.
 
“It's perfect!” she breathed.
 
Indeed it was. The silk was slightly thicker around my chest and waist, clinging comfortably until it reached my hips where it loosened up enough to flow around my legs. It reached right down my body to brush the floor lightly when I walked.
 
“It's beautiful Chi Chi, but this must have been expensive”
 
She waved her arms nonchalantly and dabbed at her eyes, “Don't be silly, I've always wanted a daughter to make a dress for”
 
“A daughter?” I whispered.
 
“Of course! You've been living with Goku and I for three years, you're as good as one of our own”
 
“Thank you”. I pushed all of my emotions into those two words, trying to show her just what this gesture meant to me. Expressing myself was never a strong point of mine, but I think she understood as she beamed widely and pulled out a hairbrush.
 
“Now I think you'd look better with your hair down… but let's get a bit of a curl in it shall we?”
 
An hour (and a sore scalp) later the two of us descended the stairs into the living room where Goku, Gohan, Ox King and Krillen were all talking loudly.
 
“Whoa Lani!” Krillen whistled when he noticed out arrival, “Almost didn't recognise you there!”
 
I beamed, for once enjoying the attention I received from the guys, “It suits me? I'm used to pants not dresses!”
 
“It's lovely” Gohan smiled, which I returned heartily.
 
“Ok, now everyone in the kitchen. It's food time!” Chi Chi declared.
 
I suddenly felt like I was trapped in a stampede as Gohan, Ox King and Krillen charged past me. However, I caught Goku by the arm and kept him back from the group, encompassing him in a tight hug which he returned with a chuckle. No words were passed between us. I don't think we needed any.
 
X
 
It was late, the sun had set and the floor of Chi Chi's living room had been redecorated with wrapping paper, though thankfully she'd helped herself to a great deal of her own home made punch which, unbeknownst to her, had been spiked with a little something of Krillen's. She was lying with a content smile across the couch, her head pushed up against Goku's chest while Gohan slept on his father's lap, Goku was also asleep, his head falling back as he let out a loud snore. I pulled out the small camera and took a quick picture of the three, that was one to be added to my wall. Ox King had left an hour ago with Krillen supporting him along (definitely a sight I wouldn't forget for a while) which meant I was the only one awake in the house. I dimmed the lights in the living room before going upstairs to my bedroom, I didn't bother to turn on the light as I entered but opened my windows wide and let the stars illuminate the room.
 
I fingered the golden ribbon that Chi Chi had wound skilfully into my hair as I perched on the windowsill, my bare feet brushing the grass below me. The air was warm but refreshing as I gulped it in and smiled to myself. Considering how the day had begun I was now left feeling rather content.
 
“Hi Lani”
 
My head snapped up at the voice and I almost lost my balance on the windowsill, “Trunks!” I said a little loudly then I meant to, “What are you doing here?”
 
“You said I could come see you…”
 
“Oh… yeah…”
 
“There was something else though” he added.
 
“Mm-hmm” was all I said as I suppressed the urge to scowl at him. Why hadn't he noticed my new dress? Oh dear… I don't think Chi Chi was the only one to drink too much. My head began to grow a little fuzzy as he sat down beside me, pulling his gloves off and places them up his sleeves.
 
“I stopped by to see my mother, and she told me you celebrated your birthday with Gohan. I wasn't sure if I should get you anything”
 
He was watching his fingers with more fascination then they deserved, and inside I was crying out for him look up for one darn second so I could… well I wasn't sure, all I knew was that I wanted him to look at me.
 
“But then she gave me this”
 
From inside his battle armour he pulled out a small velvet box, about the size of his palm.
 
“It was delivered to Capsule Corp. two years ago but was lost amongst some of the stock. She found it this morning”
 
He handed it to me carefully, though I still managed to run my finger across his palm as I accepted it.
 
“Why are you bringing it to me?” I asked, hoping my words weren't as slurred as Chi Chi's had been.
 
“There's a note inside of it…”
 
I suddenly became aware of the cautious tone he was using and immediately began to sober up. I gazed down at the box and gently pulled off the lid where a piece of torn paper rested atop a round lump of metal. I picked up the paper and brought it close to my face to I could see it in the dim light:
 
Lani,
 
I've arranged with a third party to have this sent to you in case of… well I'm not sure. But they'll receive a message from me when I think you are ready for this.
 
You may not be aware of the truth right now, in fact you may never be, and it might well be selfish of me but I hope that's the way it will remain. Else, I leave it in your hands to uncover that which has been hidden from you, my Perisa.
 
 
My heart stopped. At least that was how it felt as my eyes ran over the words again and again. This couldn't be coincidence, the dream, this note…
 
I looked down at the metal object before tipping it into my hands. It glittered in an eerie yet beautiful way, and strangely felt comfortable in my hands. As though it were something that had always belonged to me. Inspecting it closely I realised it was attached to a strong chain, and had a small bump at the top which I pressed on firmly.
 
It opened with a click, revealing several other circled pieces of the odd material all stacked one atop the other, but each grew smaller as it reached the centre, leaving a rippled effect in the metal. On the outside of each circle were various engravings, but I didn't recognise any of them.
 
“What is it?” Trunks asked tentatively.
 
“I've never seen it before” I replied, suddenly feeling much more alert, “Shigeru must have had it sent before he…”
 
“It's from Shigeru?”
 
I tore my eyes away from the object to look back at the note, of course Trunks hadn't been able to read any of it, except for my name as it was in the slave language from Frieza's ship, and even though it was unsigned I just knew it was from him.
 
“Perisa…” I whispered.
 
“What?”
 
I smiled up at Trunks and exhaled through my nose as I chuckled to myself, “Perisa… It was Shigeru's nickname for me. That's how I know it's from him, no one else ever called me that”
 
“What does it mean?” he asked softly.
 
“I suppose it roughly translates to something like `sweetheart'”
 
We sat in silence for a few minutes before I spoke again, “You know… I had a dream this morning, you and Shigeru were in it and I was back on Frieza's ship…”
 
My voice was unsteady as I recounted the moment Trunks turned into the decomposing body of my old friend. He placed his arm around me comfortingly and pulled me closer, resting his cheek on my head.
 
“Sounds more like a nightmare then a dream” he commented.
 
“It was”
 
“I still dream about Gohan's death. In fact I dreamt of him a lot while in the hyperbolic time chamber, him and-”
 
He stopped suddenly and stiffened as I giggled, “Him and?”
 
“Is there anyone I could name that you'd believe?” he laughed.
 
“Nope”
 
“Then I admit, I thought about you too. But when the only other person around for a year is your own father…well, the mind wanders!”
 
“Hey!” I exclaimed, shoving him playfully.
 
I snapped the device shut as he laughed, noticing how similar it was too the Earth's old fashioned pocket watches. Oddly I felt quite calm as I held it, as though this was meant to be. A message beyond the grave sort of thing.
 
“You ok?” Trunks questioned, squeezing my shoulder gently.
 
“I think so… yeah”
 
I returned the object to the box and closed it firmly, placing it on the sill beside me, “I think I'm ready to move on”. Trunks' fingers brushed my shoulder lightly, making me shiver involuntarily, “Aren't you going back in the chamber in a few hours?”
 
“Yeah…”
 
I looked up to meet his gaze and found myself subconsciously licking my lips nervously as silence fell between us. Somehow we found ourselves nose to nose… I could feel his breath against my lips…
 
His hand moved from my shoulder and wandered steadily down my back, tracing a long line that made me quiver.
 
“Lani…”
 
“Stay with me tonight?” I asked hopefully.
 
“I… can't”
 
The moment was broken, shattered into a tiny million pieces that may well never be placed back together as he stood from the windowsill hastily.
 
“I'm sorry” was all he said. And then he was gone, leaving me clutching the small black box and shaking uncontrollably that had nothing to do with the sudden dip in temperature.
 
X
 
 
Disclaimer: I own no rights to the series Dragonball Z or its characters/places. Copyright to Akira Toriyama.